3.3

1. Nov 10, 2011
    Modern Warfare 2, for all its faults, was a great game. A slightly newer, repackaged version of Modern Warfare 2 that arrives several years after its predecessor is, however, not a great game. I've never been quite so disappointed with a game whose arrival I anticipated so greatly. Campaign is linear and repetitive; the plot is murky, absurd, and seems as if it was crafted by Michael Bay's evil, slightly less competent twin. Devices that were innovative one-offs in the previous game, like door breaching or crash/explosion cinematics, are overused to the point that it becomes obvious the team that made the game is content with maintaining the status quo. On top of that, the campaign clocked in at less than 4 hours on the regular setting. That wouldn't bother me too much if the multiplayer was rock-solid, though, because that's been the main attraction for the series. That's simply not the case, however. Bullet lag is the worst of any recent game I've played. Weapon balance seems to have been thrown out and replaced with the strategy of "let's make everything as powerful as possible." Maps are amorphous and prohibitive to actual team strategy. Menus are identical, and perhaps even murkier than the previous iteration in the series. New killstreak packages are a nice touch, and perk balancing was an absolute necessity that they thankfully worked out. But when seen as a whole, the greatest new addition is Elite, a glorified stat tracker that costs sixty dollars on top of your existing Live subscription. Given my level of frustration and disappointment with this game, I feel a four is generous. I won't be buying back into the series again, or at least until they give it the inevitable reboot. It's sad to see a company like Activision run a once-proud brand into the ground like this for profits. Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is not an improvement (barely so, if even) in the series. It instead gives you a worse overall package of last years game. There is no customizable reticles, no customizable emblems, no theater, and no zombie mode, instead just a two player endless enemy mode, with no real innovation that we've seen in other games, just a pathetic attempt to just have it in the game. The story is not boring, but incredibly predictable. There was no real attachment to characters. I didn't really care if "character X" died, just shrugged it off and thought nothing of it. The characters portrayed a poor reaction as well. Forgetting what happened seconds ago, as if nothing happened. Overall, I would say if you are really contemplating on buying this or not, I would say pass. Maybe wait for next years game because there is nothing new we haven't seen here before. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2011
    I have been a COD fan since the beginning but since playing both BF3 & MW3, I have a greater appreciation for what BF3 has done with their game. Spawning is terrible with MW3 and snipers are so overpowered. I'm more time that I have spent with MW3 has caused me to see how innovative BF3 is has a military shooter. Maybe next year MW3!!! I won't be buying though..
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    Same game as the previous couple. No real changes. No team needed just run around pointlessly. Never any tension in the games which is very disappointing cause the game mechanics are smooth.
  5. Nov 10, 2011
    Can't tell you how upset I was with this game. With games like Skyrim and Arkham City adding new stories, innovation and something new. COD sticks to the same overused formula. I've already traded it in.
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    Should have been a DLC in all honesty only entertaining part is Spec Ops and survival. Thoroughly disappointing and will be trading this in and getting Skyrim.
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    Heard that Schofield is "begging" for reviews to bolster bad ratings ( http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212113p1.html ). @ Bobby Kodick... Guess firing West and Zampella wasn't such a good idea after all eh ? At least those guys had self-respect and could crank out a good game. @ the guys who stole 6k copies off that truck last weekend.... At least you didn't actually PAY for this game :
  8. Nov 10, 2011
    Perhaps the most overrated video game of 2011. Activision and its companies associated with the development of the Call of Duty franchise reach a new low. For starters, this game has not offered any innovation like the its prequels. The last few Call of Duty games play and look the same. Each year, it is just a routine of including new weaponry, levels and maps within the developmental process. And content which has been introduced has usually been lame and unimaginative. This indeed the case for Modern Warfare 3. The storyline is generally rushed, unforgettable, ridiculous and generic. As for the characters, I simply could not find myself caring for any of them. This is intended to be a dramatic conclusion to word war 3. Yet it relies too much on action, characters dying, and scripted events to make it remotely interesting. There is no sense of 'humanity' or drama within this game. Instead, it is like playing a Michael Bay movie. No soul, originality or depth; but very eye-catching. But still, the gameplay and graphics are almost the exact same as Modern Warfare 2. I find that especially weak because I found Modern Warfare 2 to be mediocre at best. Neither of both fields received any substantial improvement within Modern Warfare 3. Just run, shoot, use grenade and camp. That practically summarizes the Modern Warfare 3 experience for both campaign and Multiplayer. What has been introduced is either sub-par or broken.

In conclusion, you can find far better games this year. I urge you consider buying Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3 and others instead of this rehashed garbage. By buying this game, you essentially doom the video game industry to an era of video games which sell millions based upon which franchise they belong to without even offering a shred of innovation. This game simply does not merit the amount of praise and sails which it has received.
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    Well I had already had low expectations of this game. However, it managed to shatter those by being worse of a game than I thought possible. I am very happy that I only rented this game overnight from Redbox for 2 dollars rather than buying it, because this game is basically new Modern Warfare 2 maps. It's pathetic that any company would release this game knowing full well that people would have to pay for it, especially considering how little work was put into it (i.e. they recycled the graphics engine for the 4th time since CoD4). I'm sad for anyone who buys this game. Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    just the same old cod we have had for 4 years runing, NOTHING has changed NOTHING is new NOTHING is unique. if you have played a previous cod game and are looking for something new, fresh and difrent then you will be highly dissapointed.
  11. Nov 10, 2011
    First off, IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED COD MODERN WARFARE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER YET, this is deffinitely worth your money... THE ONLY REASON I AM GIVING THIS A 3 IS BECAUSE as a sequel, it is deffinitely a rinse lather repeat for the devs (you wonder why they didnt just release it a month after Black Ops because it doesnt even seem like they did much work...)

THE GOOD... there are a few nice
    adjustments since the last installment of the series. MUCH MUCH MUCH better hit detection. It no longer takes an entire magazine of ammunition to kill your enemies. No more instantkill nube-tubing (the 'nube tube' or grenade launcher is still in, just fixed so it almost never gets an instant kill). Much less lag from any other of the COD installments (I have been playing up to level 30 and have not seen a bit of lag yet. Occasionally, but nothing gamebreaking). The graphics have been polished a decent bit (You can see the sunlight reflect off of the dark gun metal in front of you, and the nice simple details of the environment around you are almost nice enough to make you stop and smell the roses once in awhile). They now offer a wider ability of items and killstreaks SPECIFIC to helping your team-mates and playing the obective rather than just being a lone wolf. What is also pretty cool is they have a whole other killstreak set for those who are really good at lone-wolfing. Instead of killstreaks, you get more and more perks, giving you six perks and a major advantage for one on one combat.

Thats a lot of cool stuff, but thats about it. Heres where the game loses its luster...

THE BAD... For those that have already experienced the COD series, you'll be a little disappointed. Not a lot has changed. In fact, its almost like playing a new map pack on MW2. Not even an exaggeration. If I were to put MW2 in your console and right as a match were about to start, tell you it was MW3, it might actually take you a few minutes to realize it was just MW2. It takes forever to unlock anything decent (I was using the pre-set classes they give you up until level 30 because nothing else I had could compare). Not only that, but you dont even look forward to unlocking anything (except perks of course) because the weapon selection is just so bland. There is little to no customization (hardcore Black Ops players, sorry) and I've tried to log on to ELITE only to get booted off or rerouted back to the game.
  12. Nov 10, 2011
    Typical yearly release from Call of Duty. Same physics, same graphics and a few 'new' re-skinned guns. I seriously hope that after this blunder everyone would learn to stay away from the series since as of now, there isn't much they're adding besides a 50 dollar service which 'improves' your game.
  13. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm sorry but i played this at my friends house and it was horrible, i seriously cannot begin to describe how mad i am at the developers for simply mixing previous call of duties up, throwing a couple of different things in there and selling it at full price while claiming it is a completely new product.
  14. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is a damper on the game industry, milking the public's money in a different way(ELITE). This game does nothing new, you can't take an old game and add tiny things to it and expect to be a quality product, and yet that is what IW has done. The "reviewers" may enjoy it but they don't have to pay for the game which is the problem. The public is just describing there frustrations they expected WAY better than this and IW did not deliver. The only thing new would be the campaign and maps, everything else is a re-skin, same sound design, same graphics, remodeled guns. Exploits that were in mw2 are coming back, type 95 is becoming the ak74u of mw3. I just want to save you money, if you want MW3 and are on a budget, just play mw2. Expand
  15. Nov 10, 2011
    god !!!!, this is mw2.5 , come one is the same , but with diferent story , perks and maps. thats bad, cod series are goind down for me :( . its a shame.
  16. Nov 10, 2011
    Sept 14, 2009 - Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference, San Francisco - Jeetil Patel, Analyst: "What do you think the retailers' willingness these days is to hold inventory on the video game side? Are they building positions today or are they still very reluctant and very careful of how they are buying?" Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard, Inc. - President and CEO: "I don't think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." .... "I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression." Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2011
    I remember a time when in order to get a score of 8 and up a game had to bring innovation from the past titles in the series. Nowadays all you need to do is slap a Call of Duty title on it and reuse as many resources as you can from the past games.

If you want to be out 80 dollars and left with a feeling of disappointment when you realize all you did was buy an MW2 expansion pack then go
    ahead and buy this game. Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    Complete joke. So glad that there are still real games around like Battlefield 3. I can't believe someone thought this would be a good game to release.
  19. Nov 10, 2011
    If you ever wanted an expansion pack for MW2 but really wanted to pay full price for it look no further than Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. The single player is painfully short with another ho hum grey and brown world filled with chest high walls and if you've played any multiplayer FPS in recent years you've played this one. Activision recently announced that the CoD series is going to a yearly release model so look forward to less and less new features as this once great series slides down the slope of overpriced mediocrity. Expand
  20. Nov 10, 2011
    Not what I was expecting at all, waste of money. For starters Elite has been nothing but a hassle and I regret talking my friends into getting it. I was told I'd receive exclusive content, that I have yet to see. Still wondering why I was not handed a field journal as promised. All in all, they took the same tired game, small maps, and PC like graphics and threw in a bunch of nonsense bells and whistles. I have no desire to fly a recon helicopter around the map as a kill streak. I will be trading the game in and requesting a refund for Elite. Then and only then will I return to playing Battlefield 3. Expand
  21. Nov 10, 2011
    Its is just a 60 doller expansion pack. It fills like a bunch of newbs made it. It has ton of lags, there is more chetters in this game then ever before. The controls are clunky. Elit doesn't work at all, and it is a scam for your money. I hate qick scoping people with lag swichs get old. The game code is just old, getting knifeing 20 feet away piss me off. This game is for little kids, chetters, and casual gamer. Expand
  22. Nov 10, 2011
    I have been playing FPS for a decade now and have loved the CoD series but have now lost my patienc. I felt let down by Modern Warfare 2 then the cash in Black Ops but all MW3 is is jus MW2 in a new skin but no real new innovation. Guess it's now the new guitar hero and madden.
  23. Nov 10, 2011
    Horrible game. Feels exactly like MW2. Activision only cares about money and releases sequel after squeal without giving and consideration to their actual games.
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    alright the maps are really bad. a couple like CTown and Dome should not have even made the game. It feels like clostrophobic version of Black Ops and MW2 skins. game is not as advertised. the only thing that the game has brought back is Quickscoping. So my montages will be good, but I barely have had fun playing this for the 15 hours I've played it. It's just a huge disappointment. Get Black Ops, MW2. They are cheaper and better. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2011
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It's Modern Warfare 2 in a new package and obviously for a full price. It's nothing new or special; just another dull war fps game. The single player is too short, the multiplayer is same **** as it was before. Not recommended in any way.
  26. Nov 10, 2011
    WTF...This game is a POS. Same stuff all over again. They did nothing to improve the graphics or story. Weapon selection is horrible. What a waste of money. Wish I knew before I bought it. I feel cheated.
  27. Nov 10, 2011
    Bought this game yesterday, and after putting the disc in I noticed that they had accidentally put MW2 in the box. After looking at the top of the disc I noticed that they must have printed the wrong game label since it said MW3. I was disappoint.
  28. Nov 10, 2011
    Wow!!!!! Same game with different maps!! Lets keep the original Call of Duty 4 and then sell the maps as DLC. I want to see an improvement over the last.
    No more MW for me!
  29. Nov 10, 2011
    Once again another cookie cutter sequel, this game has no shine to it, it is simply the same garbage that's churned out each year by activision. I urge you deeply not to buy this game!!!! Worst money I've spent in years! Buy skyrim though.... :D
  30. Nov 10, 2011
    This game has horrible graphics for whats out there at the market. You could probably run this on a 3dfx card. Everything is still the same from mw2/bo. There is nothing new... I feel scammed. Im glad I bought bf3 and skyrim... that will keep me busy.
  31. Nov 10, 2011
    New games used to be an improvement upon each subsequent title, bringing fresh ideas, better graphics, and, improvement. Sadly MW3 is non of these. Some say it's a copy and paste game, and I disagree as each subsequent copy loses something - originality and functionality. The maps feel similar in multiplayer, the layouts are the same with a few extras thrown in. Non of the disliked features were removed (hosting system, finding servers, last stand). The single player is also pretty formulaic and in this case that's a negative. Some may say the game is not complete, 'wait for the DLC', but I'd rather not have to spend 1/4th the game on a few maps. If I have to wait for downloadable content then it is clearly not complete and thus a shamble of a product. Expand
  32. Nov 10, 2011
    12 Hours of single payer game play. Holds true to the COD franchise's lack of content from the past 3 installments. Though those 12 hours of gameplay was more compelling than Black Ops, I still feel incredibly cheated out of $60. Online play is no better than Black Ops. Not just graphically, but the levels almost look like the same levels as BO... Laggy servers, gives laggy movements and firing ingame. Then, they try to sweeten us up with their "Elite" service, but only to find out it will cost you ANOTHER $50. Come on Sledgehammer, can we get a reach around when you're giving us the hammer??? I would say avoid this one... But we all bought it sight unseen already.... Oh well. Expand
  33. Nov 10, 2011
    I have been playing FPS games since Tom Clancy,s Rainbow Six on msn gaming zone this blows monkey chunks. It seems like this was just made for little kids on consoles not for the hard core gaming community. Wake up and give us a good game
  34. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm not going to be so harsh to give it a 0 because it doesn't deserve that - as a game it ticks a lot of boxes and is very playable.
    However, like so many people on here, I cannot help but feel cheated and disappointed. True, the hype has been immense but I do not think I felt over-hyped...I was still enjoying BLOPS right up to the point of MW3's release and just saw this as an update to
    an already great series of games.
    I'm disappointed because it feels like a step backwards, and I'm cheated because it feels like i've just paid £40 for a MW2 map pack....I'm speaking purely from a multiplayer point of view because I havent given the single player a go yet....but from a multiplayer point of view my opinion is not good. The things I actually really enjoyed about BLOPS have gone, the wager match, the in-depth stats, the credits to buy your own choice of weapons, the mix of simulation and arcade which meant that you felt like you could really chose your own style of play (camping/creeping vs run around like a mentalist), the avatar personailsation which added that bit of humerous creativity and gave people a chance to personalise their tags (yes, with naked ladies and c*cks n b*lls if they wanted to!). None of these are present in this game...even down to the fact you cant do a running dive...taking away a simple action which just added a little bit of fun to the game. The spawning detection is terrible, you can end up spawning repeatedly in front of your enemy - BLOPS wasnt perfect but it outshines MW3 by a mile - maybe they will fix this with an update? The hit detection is terrible, hitting people in the feet seems to kill them just as quickly as hitting them in the chest (I might be wrong but I'm SURE that is not the case in BLOPS, it seemed harder to kill or be killed) - again this could be fixed with an update, but will they bother? I don't mind the maps too much but they dont seem to have the imagination of BLOPS and most seem to be quite "basic" in their design...not much creativity. There also doesnt seem to be much variety to the maps in terms of suitability for different styles, I like having some maps which are better for camping, some for mental attacking (Nuketown in BLOPS), sniper-friendly maps, and general end-to-end attack/defend maps. Quickscoping is back with a vengeance! I HATE quickscoping...to me it is basically cheating...you may as well have typed in "godmode" at the console (showing my age now)...it is ridiculous that someone can run round with a long-range rifle, let alone pop it up to their eye and one-shot kill without actually being able to see the target! This is by any other name a "hack" (and a well known one at that) so i'm baffled as to why it has been re-introduced...i suspect lazy coding or pressure from the quickscoping community (you know who you are). I am not disappointed by the graphics, I think people can be too quick to forget that the 360 is an OLD platform - there is only so much you can do with the hardware while keeping everything smooth. I LIKE the addition of the strike packges, so you can mix your style and get killstreaks for different reasons and even if you die...I don't however like the killstreaks themselves - I think they are just old and outdated and again, lack creativity. They also seem to be too easy to achieve and there are killstreaks popping off all over the place...you may as well have a permanent UAV. I like the co-op mode and i'm glad to see it back.
    In conclusion, I feel like the publishers of this game have let the community down. It seems like a rushed effort with more things wrong than right and certainly does not meet the standard of its predecessors let alone surpass them. I hope it is not the last CoD because they can make up for this, but maybe they should take a little more time over the next one and pay more attention to their customers.
    Thanks for reading.
    Dave
  35. Nov 10, 2011
    So i've been playing this game all week and I swear to f*cking god I've never been more pissed off at a game. This game is like having a digital c*ck shoved into you and every single aspect of it is a mindf*ck waste of time that should be avoided at all costs. Let me articulately elaborate:

First, (unbeknownst to me), my wallet got raped. It was a hard rape right out of the gate. I paid
    60 whatever dollars for it and its this game isnt worth the plastic the dvd is printed with. For 60 dollars I couldve bought about a billion things better than this game. I couldve bought a hardback collection of Cathy comic books. I couldve bought 60 punches to my d*ck with an S&M dominatrix. I couldve even bought about 150 Wii games from that discount bin at Best Buy and collectively, they wouldve been a better purchase than this damn game. Second, I got home and my eyes began to get raped next. This game is hideous. It looks like a digital elephant man or those kids with hairlips you seen in those gross commercials. Who ok'ed the graphics on this thing? Look, its 2011 and games are looking like real life already. This looks like a popped cauliflower ear on a UFC fighters head. WTF

Next, the full body raping continued in that MW3's story began **** my mind after I started to grasp what this retarded, convoluted, spaghetti noodle story is about. If a sea urchin learned to type, the first thing it would type would probably be "sodij WEIao oaidfja;pio so os oiwjeom". The second thing it would type would be MW3's plot. I cant fathom how a group of adult men and women came up with this bs story. This is the worst plot for a game since the Xbox 360 game "Jerry Sandusky: The Penn State Story" got cancelled just last week. What a MESS. Right before I logged into my Amazon account to sell this waste of time back for some money, I figured Id give multiplayer a chance. I knew this was the wrong idea. But whatever. Heads up: If you haven't played MW mp before, heres the basic gist: 1. Map loads - sh*t talking begins in full
    2. Players spawn - retarded running animation takes place as you attempt to go your hot spot in the map in a rush
    3. You aim - you see some fool who doesnt see you and you get hyped bc you're about to kill his ass. 4. You shoot - You hit him!! YESSSS KD IS 1.0 NOW what? wait. He's turning at me
    5. You keep shooting - The guy youre shooting at starts running towards you
    6. OMFG Glitch - Yep he was glitching and just kill't your ass with a knife throw to your face. Kill cam shows no damage on him.

I'm happy to report that if you enjoyed this scenario in its various forms from MW, WAW, MW2 AND BO's well, guess what? Its still there. Rad! No wait. This isn't rad and definitely get classified as mind violating rape again. I threw my controller at the 2nd instance of this glitchy bs happening and causing me an undue death. Why cant they fix this **** Hello Beta? I mean even GOW 3 had a beta. And Epic is f*cking retarded! Even they learned!! Good grief. Anyways, the story ends with this POS going to Amazon who thankfully give you the majority of your $ back on new games that you return. Wtf. Rating is 0, this game is a 0 and the creators of the games are **** rapists who just stole money from me and need to get locked in a Siberian Hostel to actually get raped. F*ck this goddamn game.
  36. Nov 10, 2011
    There really is little to no change this time around. I can see that myself and many others want something that is quite groundbreaking. This review gets a 1 since the multiplayer can be fun at times
  37. Nov 10, 2011
    Same look and gameplay. Same terrible MUDDY graphics. But.. Different Maps and kinda different single player makes this game worth $15 not freakin $60 coz if yo pay for this $hit: You kiddin me bruh?!? Go buy skyrim, uncharted 3 or bf3 instead you won't be disappointed on buying those games.
  38. Nov 10, 2011
    The saddest thing about Mw3 is the been there done that over and over. This feels like another expansion rather than being a full game. The company is begging for good reviews from users,really? This game was good when it was Cod4 Mw. When Mw2 came out,it went down hill of seeing the same thing over and side tracking the story. Mw3 is going up against Battlefield 3 which is overall a better game. A new season pass is available for $50 for one year. It is nice to see there will be content added every month and having the pass will grant you more features than free users and added content. Season pass is a nice idea but $50 is a lot to shell out right after buying a $60 game. The day after it's release a new call of duty was announced. We all knew it was gonna happen but did you really need to announce it so early? Story mode doesn't have the Wow did you just see that moments like most games that came out this year. Modern warfare 1 was constantly filled with moments like this while mw3 felt like it was dragging on just to complete the story. The story should have ended in mw2 instead of side tracking just to say Hey there is going to be modern warfare 3 in two years. After the fall and decline of Cod3, Cod4 Mw came out and perfected the series and gave it a new life. Now after 4 or 5 years they are still trying to ride that train. Since mw2,call of duty has become the madden and dynasty warriors of games. One of the biggest issues was discovering the youtube video that shows buildings from previous Cod games placed into mw3. Now I find out that Modern Warfare 3 Developer Begs for Good Reviews. Are you serious? If you wanted good user reviews you shouldn't have made the same game over and over. If assassin's creed can come out every year with a compelling story added content and new things than why can't Call of Duty. It seems we are back into the Cod 3 phase where people were done and bored with it. I hope 2012 brings a new engine and a new game that does something different instead of the copy paste its been known for. Even the box art looks similar to mw2. You changed the color and turned his head. I really wanted to enjoy mw3 but I couldn't. There was nothing i haven't seen or done before. The first mission is suppose to be what sets you up for the entire game but it was boring and dull. I don't really want to compare this game to Battlefield 3 too much but overall everything in it was better than mw3. Expand
  39. Nov 10, 2011
    I do not care if you love the cod series or hate it, I want you to read this and do what I am asking you. I'm not asking for you to stop buying the game, or start buying the game, I am only asking you to do a simple comparison of two call of duty games (not mw3 and mw2.) Look at COD 3, look at COD4. Do the same thing with COD4 and MW3. Compare the differences between both pairs of games. There is a HUGE AMOUNT of difference between cod3 and cod4, but barely any difference between cod4 and mw3. They have 4 games worth of changes and it still didn't amount to the huge amount of changes between cod3 and cod4. Do something like that, Infinity Ward, or Treyarch. This game is only good if you have never played any of the Call of Duty games before, otherwise IT IS THE SAME EXACT THING with about 6 changes. They even took buildings straight out of Call of Duty 4 instead of making new ones. It is an absolutely awful and cheap game that the developers probably spent about 1 week of their time on in the whole 2 years that they had to work on the game. The worst part about the game though, is the super crazy cod community who thinks that there is nothing better than cod, and they have no variety. It isn't just in video games either, these people are never trying anything new, they are the ones who complain about everyday things like food because they never try anything new. The worst part about these people is that they actually try to argue that this game is better than BF3. In some areas, yes, but overall BF3 is indefinitely and quite obviously the SUPERIOR game. I have played cod for a long time, but recently it has just been boring playing the same game over and over again, so I switched to Battlefield, and even BFBC2 is better than MW3. Don't waste your money, and don't pay attention to critic reviews, the good ones are all bought and paid for. This game is the same crud rehashed over and over again. I bet the developers didn't spend one week on this, maybe on the maps and re-skinning guns that they have probably had since MW2 but didn't put them in that because they decided they could make another game with it. Whether you like it or not, this game is going to get SUPER boring SUPER fast. I hope that this is the call of duty game where developers realize they can't be lazy, I hope the next cod game is as exciting as COD4, but... unfortunately, it probably won't. Hopefully this is the end of lazy work or the end of the Call of Duty series because as far as I'm concerned different people are getting credit for something done 4 years ago. Collapse
  40. Nov 10, 2011
    After playing Battlefield 3 for the last two weeks, I was anxious to get this game into my console...what a let down. Battlefield has so many more tactical aspects, not to mention ACTION! The buildings blow up, the sound effects are INCREDIBLE! MW3 just ported over old, boring sounds from MW2. Don't waste the money. The game play feels like Halo. I had no idea how great Battlefield was until I played this game for 2 hours. Oh well, up to ebay goes my Hardened edition copy. Expand
  41. Nov 10, 2011
    i dont want to talk about it. i do want to hear about it. my game that i choose to play already came out and have been spending a lot of time playing it.
  42. Nov 10, 2011
    The same game all over again. What a rip-off. I just wasted 60.00 for a what seems to me to be DLC. The graphics look the same, the story is corny, the multiplayer is the same. I'll stick to Battlefield 3.
  43. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is same game as Modern Warfare 2. It should have been DLC rather than a full release and is incredibly overpriced. Single player is repetitive and the multiplayer is nothing more than a map pack. Glad I rented it, at full price it's a ripoff.if you really want it wait a couple years when they have 4 more games in the series released and pick it up in the bargain bin.

To top it
    off today there is news that maps from the first two games are already on disc just waiting for you to pay that $10 "unlock" fee. Ridiculous. Expand
  44. Nov 10, 2011
    What can i say. Over a year to produce this. Almost an exact duplicate of the others. I'm sorry activision but i can just play modern warfare 1 if i feel like brain numbing shooting. It does deserve a 1 however because it is not treyarch.
  45. Nov 10, 2011
    Amazing that people think the low user score is down to BF3 trolls. I bought MW3 for £40 and it is essentially a frickin' map pack. I could forgive the fact they're still using the dated IW engine if this was brimming with new features and innovations, but this is just a shocking effort - go back to the drawing board already.
  46. Nov 10, 2011
    It's not 'new'. It's just rehashed Modern Warfare 2, with new maps. There's nothing new about it. Complete disappointment. I returned the game after 2 days, I'm done with Activisions garbage for good after this game.
  47. Nov 10, 2011
    Alas. The game that I have waited for turned out to be another milking cow for Activision. Believe me. I love COD as much as any other COD fanboys out there but after playing this abomination I started to thing, "What if this series is following the footsteps of Tony Hawk Pro Skaters?". Sadly it is running that path. Modern Warfare 3 is by far the most disappointing game of the year for me. It didn't live up to what the "real" fans of the Modern Warfare wanted, instead, this game destroyed everything we loved about Modern Warfare. Here's to Schofield, ever wonder why a lot of people hate this game right now? It's not about fanboyism... people just genuinely hate your game coz it's "Copied" and "Pasted"!! I wish the "Real" infinty Ward made this game, you know, the ones at Respawn Entertainment?? Coz they could have made the story BETTER!! And probably innovate it a LITTLE!! If you've played Mdern Warfare 1 & 2, keep your memories pure and stay away from this garbage. I tell you, you will regret the ending. Expand
  48. Nov 10, 2011
    Due to the flood of "hot" games coming this season, i decided to rent the new MW to check it out first - despite having previously bought every other entry since MW1. In retrospect this was personally a very wise decision after my experience the last few days. Note i like both the BF series and MW, there justt games and whichever is more fun takes the cake.

The Good - When i first popped
    this game in and started the campaign i was quite blown away by the visual quality. Lets face it, this game LOOKS good. Just bought my first HDTV at the start of the year and there are few games that really pop with the 120hz.

The Bad - This is where things get tricky. Like 25% into the campaign im completely lost as to whats really going on, i have a good idea of plot but the whole "being pulled into the story" isnt happening one bit. Its been awhile since i played mw2 but i also felt each gun had a little more characteristic. Several times in the campaign i had to check the name of my gun because they look and sound so similar i couldnt tell, if that was just a knob i didnt notice or a completely new AR. This carries into multi as i really cant feel a difference in many AR's as i did before. The M16's 3-round burst speed is atrocious compared to the other titles. And why does the barrett 50 cal semi-auto do just as much damage as a bolt action?? For some reason multiplayer just doesn't have the hook for me like before. It feels very much like the game "Homefront" only modded a little to match MW's style. I have no idea why they choose to put your challenges/ranks in tiny letters up in the top of the screen, it really takes the fun of progressing while playing away. As another reviewer said, they shouldn't have spent wayy to much time putting on the bells and whistles (or new killstreaks and weapon leveling) and focused on improving core gameplay. Everything they added has been an innovation in someone elses game. From the fore mentioned to the new gamemodes (btw enjoy playing kill confirmed WAY to much on ground war since they are trying to get people into it) And last but not least are the hit boxes/lag. Ive never seen as bad of lag on a few of the games i played in any other of there titles. And its just no fun when you run behind a wall and die when you know your safe. Or shoot 5 feet in front of a guy running and kill him. Its just cheesy.

The Spec ops and survival is fun i guess, but many missions are rehashes of the other games and when you just want to get a quick game in, playing with just one other random person can get pretty boring awkward at times.

I dont know how elite is doing, but i cant imagine paying for what essentially should be a "thank you for your support" service and be free or at least muchhh cheaper. The DLC is nice but 1% of the "elite" are going to take all the prizes you can win in tournys and stat tracking is free in other games. Really couldnt be more obvious in showing there intention of milking the cash cow.

In conclusion for me this was and will be a rental game. I just dont see myself investing as much time as in previous titles. Gameplay may look better, but beauty is only skin deep.
  49. Nov 10, 2011
    When a game actually has an error message for the PC saying something along the lines of "Modern Warfare 2 failed to launce" you start to wonder what else was just copy and pasted.
  50. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm glad to see people stepping up and expressing how tired they are of a high quality but tired game! COD needs to evolve or die and because death isn't an option for this $1Billion+ giant at least we came express our disgust. The review sites are giving it incredibly high scores and part of me understands that because they are to review the game as a whole an it is a incredibly strong title, I just wish they would have taken into consideration how redundant COD is and knock it down a point or two. Look at Battlefield 3, it pushed what everything as far as they could for our consoles and although buggy it has some of the most incredible moments in console multiplayer......ever and it's less than a month old! I wish that it wasn't a double standard. If the single player is great and the multiplayer is bad a game can still get a 100/95 or 90/9. Yet, if the single player is bad and the multiplayer is incredible a game gets a 8? I don't understand. I'll probably play Battlefield 3 for 200+ hours and because it's great at what it's suppose to be. Now, COD release an almost complete rehash of what it was two years ago and 100's and 90's by the handfuls!!! Boo, I say Boo!!! We need to start voting with our wallets and not our words on sites like this and maybe we'll see real change but as long as millions of sheep get in line to by COD we'll be plagued with its repeat non-innovative game play. Expand
  51. Nov 11, 2011
    This is nothing bus MW2 with a load of new maps; no new features, no new innovation and yet they think they can charge the best part of £45 for the pleasure. The original was a great game thus, you could argue, if this is so similar, it must be too!? But if you went to the cinema and watched a movie 3 times in a row, would you really enjoy it by the third time (especially when you're paying more and more each time you watch it!). Expand
  52. Nov 11, 2011
    Spent days and months on online play alone on MW2 and COD4 MW..I knew they were gonna come up something similar with MW3 but i thought the slight changes and tweaks would still keep it fresh. Sad to say, MW3 dissapoints. Its just a stale bread. Dissapointing
  53. Nov 11, 2011
    Absolutely disappointed in this game. It is nothing but a recycled game with the same stuff from mw2. Its amazing that activision continues to rob people of their money by creating the exact same crap and charging people 65 dollars. MW3 is basically mw2.5. It is so similar that it feels like your playing mw2. People continue to throw their money away because of the name call of duty.
  54. Nov 11, 2011
    It's just one big over priced map pack. Overhyped! No quality. Just gimmicks by Activision to get our money! The developers are obviously trying to duplicate Modern Warfare 2 sales by giving us more of the same. Where is the innovation?
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    its always the same no new concept. its like im play modern warfare one or modern warfare two. where are the new ideas? this is a copy and paste game
  56. Nov 11, 2011
    Massively disappointed with this game. To get straight to the point, I picked the game up on tuesday, and I am trading it in at Game today for Skyrim.

Although some of the features of the previous game have been "tweaked", I find that the overall multiplayer experience is nowhere near as good as black ops. The gameplay is still quite borked, and every map is the same "run and gun"
    style with very little variety between maps.

As for the single player aspect - a 3.5 hour campaign is a bit of a joke for a £40 game, don't you think?
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    Good storyline, gameplay and graphics!! Wait is this mw3? Thought it was mw2.... The graphics, engine, gameplay and everything are the same! This is an to expensive exapansion pack. What's the point of making it a "own" game? Oh of course, money.
  58. Nov 11, 2011
    What happened to my Dolphin Dive?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (it's okay to take from Treyarch, IW) Sorry, this i just something I dearly miss from Black Ops, I know they're different developers, but it was such a cool move! Overall, MW3 feels a bit looser than Black Ops or MW2, and I know that's striving to be more realistic, but I don't really care. Also, I miss having a strong, tangible challenge system. I really didn't have to do much to get the Pro Perks in MW3, all of them can be collected just by running around the map with the perk engaged. In Black Ops, I had to make an effort and kill 150 enemies from the hip to finally get Steady Aim Pro, it took FOREVER, but when I got it, it gave me that awesome feeling of accomplishment. MW3 could do so much better. Expand
  59. Nov 11, 2011
    This review is for you Sledgehammer. You ask to people to give a good mark, but Modern Warfare 3 is a poor game ! You should use your talent for another that Activision ;)
  60. Nov 11, 2011
    this games is an insult to all gamers. it's just a bad joke, a 52 box joke honestly i can't imagine how they dare to sell a such deja-vu game with no effort, i'm disppointed and very angry
  61. Nov 11, 2011
    Even though I prefer BF3 over CoD I decided to rent MW3 the other night and give it a chance since my fiance likes CoD a lot more than BF. But to my surprise I didn't see anything new and special about the game. In fact I would say Black ops and MW2 are by far much better games. The graphics looked terrible, the skill required for game play really was taken down a few notches, possibly for all the younger kids getting into these games? I'm not sure. But I tried to give it a chance. Hell I was planning on purchasing it but I'm very glad I rented first. Sorry but this was a major fail... Expand
  62. Nov 11, 2011
    MW 2.5. This was not worth $60, rather, it felt like a DLC. I feel as though I wasted my money when I could have simply stuck with the older Modern Warfares, which were the EXACT. SAME. Small variances do not justify a new 60 dollar price tag.
  63. Nov 11, 2011
    Ok it my be my bad but I went and played bf3 a week before I picked up mw3. Let me tell you big mistake mw3 is crap I mean now that I know what a real shooter feels like I will never go back. Mw3 gets a bigfat 0.
  64. Nov 26, 2011
    After playing this game for 30 + hours the only question coming to my mind is what the hell was Infinity Ward thinking when they made this crap game. First and foremost, the Dome map speaks for itself. Really, they decide to put a map where you cant even get a safe two second spawn. They said they were trying to make the game gun on gun, but such awful spawn systems only make people camp. I honestly think Mw3 was a false advertisement and I know I am not the only one sitting here thinking I just wasted 60 $. lag is still an issue 3 weeks into the games life span, and the game is hectic to a point where death is instant unless you camp. This game is utter crap. Expand
  65. Nov 11, 2011
    Every Critic like IGN GameSpot ect. they are paid by activision to get good reviews. Besides this game just got old. nothing new just a expansion new weapons. Bf3 is way better. I broke my **** of doody disk. This game is not even that fun, its the same as black ops and mw2, i expected new engine and new weapons. but it only had new weapons but not as many, A lot of the weapons were recycled from Cod4, MW2, and Black ops. So don't get this game its terrible Expand
  66. Nov 11, 2011
    Terrible maps. Bad Spawning. External app for same features as Blops playercard. No dedicated servers. Not many improvements over MW2 and actually a few steps back from Blops..
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    The sentence of ACTIVISION:

"Normally I do not do that, but if you like MW3 go to Metacritic.com and support Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. His note is suspiciously low. Be honest, but help us if you agree."

MW2.1 is a joke!
  68. Nov 11, 2011
    Every Call of Duty since CoD4 has tried so hard to out-do its predecessor to the point where its made me look upon some of the greatest FPS games ever made, and think they are obselete. It has made me look at games in new ways, and think, "what is this game doing new, and if its not doing anything new, why play it?"

Its horrible to think that I used to play marathon sessions of games like
    Counter Strike, CoD 4, and Halo 3, and now I dont even want to think about them. Expand
  69. Nov 11, 2011
    Activision has clearly lost any integrity it once had. Rehash the same game every year, make boatloads of money. Thats the Call of Duty philosophy. At least until the consumer wises up.
  70. Nov 11, 2011
    Campaign is ok, but who buys this game for the campaign? Once you've played a FPS campaign, you've played them all.

Multiplayer is TERRIBLE. I'm coming from MW2 and I was surprised to see that they got rid of "lightweight" and "marathon." Now they just have "extreme conditioning," ion which you can only run for a short amount of time...I think they just took this from COD 4.

The maps are
    TERRIBLE. very very small and always located around and within buildings. What happened to the OPEN maps like MW2!!!! And lastly, what did they change the "mute" option in the lobby. Instead of just being able to mute people really fast by clicking "A" and then "A". Now you have to select the person and scroll down to mute.

**** this game...I'm buying BF3
  71. Nov 11, 2011
    To laggy, nothing but running around, spawning close to enemy too frequently. I went back to playing MW2 and will checkout BF3 ....uh...when is MW4 coming out
  72. Nov 11, 2011
    I got this as a gift, and was thoroughly disappointed. It simply feels like you are playing different maps in Black ops, a game I had burned out on long ago. The single player campaign is forgettable at best, and is over very quickly. The worst part is the sense of feeling ripped off because it feels like a clone of a previous COD, no graphics improvements..the only saving grace is the co-op modes, which I did have fun with. Pass on this one. Expand
  73. Nov 11, 2011
    All maps are very small and similar, spawning is broken, guns are overpowered and sound like a 90's arcade shooter. No real reason to use one gun over another. Crap pure crap
  74. Nov 11, 2011
    Having been a loyal consumer of the COD franchise, im finally done with it all. the ONE rating is solely for the thought the game devs put into the campaign. The multiplayer is what made the new string of COD games such a hit. Unfortunately they failed to change the game mechanic wise (i.e. Instant knifing, inaccurate hitboxes, dropshots). What i would have expected after all of the other games is improvement. What many get from this multiplayer are small unthoughtful maps, same grahpics as previous games, and a ball of frustration. Most of the maps are EXTREMELY small and after the first 3 or so minutes, people start spawning near each other and its all very confusing.. you kinda ask yourself , "wait, me and this guy cleared out this area, and then we both got taken out by some guy who just spawned in an area we cleared" This game is a major disappointment. I really do not know why all critics give this game such high review. These game critics do not have taste, because this game is not up to par. Other sequel games out there improve their game each time, but since cod4 the skins of the gun look the same, the map texture looks the same. Little has improved, but i've spent $60 for COD too many times. Expand
  75. Nov 11, 2011
    There's so much with this game that's flat out wrong I don't know where to begin.

First off, there's the normal copy/paste aspect, but that's been said so many times before, I think most people get it. But it gets worse. Several things that were once exploits, such as quick scoping, were not only intentionally put back into the game, but buffed to a ludicrous level. Back during XP, they
    boasted that commando pro was being removed..well, they removed the perk, and built it in as a default (not to mention the blink-of-an-eye insta knifing just is wrong on so many levels.)

Then there's the maps themselves. Back during previous games, they at least had some balance between open-ish maps and tight city maps. Well, this time, it's exclusively cramped city maps where multiplayer is pretty much reduced to running laps around the map. Very tiresome, very quickly. Combine this with poor sound design and a campaign that is completely laughable as it is short (I admit, that IS a good thing with how horrid the story is), and you get a game that is not worth a $60 price tag, nor is it worth the title 'The Most Anticipated Game in History'.
  76. Nov 11, 2011
    Terrible, please innovate next time Activision, same old game again, tired story, boring cramped multiplayer and nothing new. I feel ripped off. Battlefield 3 at least feels fresh and expansive, this just feels like a poor map pack.
  77. Nov 11, 2011
    Nothing has changed about this game since Cod4. Beat the campaign in one night. Played online for 5 hours then sent it back. This games graphics looks like **** compared to most other shooters. No matter how much you try to cover up the games **** bit-map shading by using dynamic light, it still looks like a game from 2005. If you want to play a good game for 60$ you can find it elsewhere.
  78. Nov 11, 2011
    worst game ever. should just be called mw2 expansion pack. all the developers did was copy and paste all the bad ideas they had in mw2. do not make the same mistake i did and buy this game
  79. Nov 11, 2011
    First let me say I have enjoyed several of the COD games but this game is terrible. It's just a re packaging of the second game with no new features worth noting and now they are charging for features that were free in the last entry in their series. I ended up returning my copy and replacing it with battle field 3 Wich I am enjoying much more. Save your money or buy any othe FPS this game just is not worth it Expand
  80. Nov 11, 2011
    Nothing new at all, exact same as Modern Warfare 2 with new maps and guns. its basically 60 dollar DLC. which is extremely disappointing. game play is exactly the same as Modern Warfare 2 and it doesn't even try to improve on anything.
  81. Nov 11, 2011
    Before i start, i havent even finished the game yet. i cannot be anything else then sarcastic about this game: Wait.. was that a building from the CoD4 Pipeline map? Wait.. were that cod4 sounds? I remember this place.... This place remembers me of something I think the biggest issue here is the fact that the franchise aged over its fanbase. All the 14/15 year olds who are now grown to 19/20 year olds have in these 5 years realized how this game/franchise or however u wanna call it is getting run into the ground by releasing a, boring repetitive, copy/paste game every year. Expand
  82. Nov 12, 2011
    I was disappointed with the multiplayer and connection problems. I wish they would have had a beta to figure out the glitches (head glitch...omg), and that's just one. Spawns are completely random and a pain in the ass. It's too bad that Activision had those legal problems, maybe they would have developed a better game if they didn't. The campaign is exciting and fun, but short. Play it on veteran to extend the fun, and frustration. Overall this game isn't really worth the time and money. It plays and feels just like the previous MW2. They added a revamped killstreak/pointstreak system, but that alone is NOT worth buying this game. Save your money and buy BF3 (that's where Activisions 2 founders went...[EA]) All I can say is that I hope they patch the game with the fixes VERY soon. Not to mention all the hype surrounding Call of Duty Elite only to have it completely fail upon launch. Weak. Unprepared. Frustrating. Unoriginal. Disappointing. Expand
  83. Nov 12, 2011
    I've Follow the Call of Duty franchise since CoD4, and i was majorly impressed by the smarts of that game, Then they released the next game, which came with many new things to explore, like killstreaks, advanced amount of camo weapon and attachments. Then after much success with MW2 They Relase MW3, and i have to say that online multiplayer sucks majorly, and i dont say this through personal skills and scores, Im not perticularly sure if this game is played on a server or on a host connection, but whatever it is, doesnt work, if you have a slightyly less effective connection than the host, then thats it, your buggared, expect a Low K/D difference. A MAJOR example of this falls on one weapon, the type 95 assult rifle, if you are host, its one hit kill, if you are on a good connection, its one burst kill, and for the rest of us, it takes two bursts IF your able to hit them. Another issue i feel with the maps are that they are majorly small, in comparison with MW2 which had a wide variety, MW3 seems to be all small maps, with the addition of stupid spawn placements due to lack off space, its like Wetwork of Cod4 but shapeshifted to differnt shapes and levels, and this doesnt work, and no doubt map packs are to be released at a stupid amount of MS points. and the hype surrounding this game definatly doesnt live up to the reputation, if anything its been let down from lazyness.

YES the setout for CoD works but NO we dont wanna pay £40 (or respected amounts in other currency) for something that could be relased as DLC with additional maps, guns, kill streaks, and attachments, because other than the Tweaks to the graphics, MW2 feels alot smoother gameplay wise. Recently ive seen people with hacked clan tags too, which shows how lazy they have been at *steeping up security* on the game, yes right now its only a clan tag, but it could easily turn out to have hacked servers, like that period on MW2 where you had automated unlimited noob tubes, i dont feel that the people behind the game take care of us gamers, and that other companies like EA and DICE do listen to the community. the only decent thing which is the only reason why it gets a mark is survival, which is a fun game mode for up to 2 players with much potential to either get better with DLC or broing if its just new maps. overall, if you want a more fruitful online experience, then Battlefield 3 is the way to go. And if you want a predictable end to the franchise then get MW3. #*SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!*# p.s everyone but Captain Price Die, which sucks.
  84. Nov 12, 2011
    The step up from World at War to Black Ops was immense; the entire game felt different, unique and innovative. MW2 to MW3 however does not; the HUD is almost identical so is the Visuals, even most of the most. Treyarch have done wonderful things with Call of Duty; Infinity Ward struck lucky with MW1 and have never really built a solid superior game to continue their momentum, this show in MW3.
  85. Nov 12, 2011
    I was expecting a lot of effort from Infinity Ward and Activision. The campaign was disappointing and was a horrible way to close off the story of Soap and Captain Price. I'm starting to wonder when they will create a new game engine, like Battlefield 3 did. I am starting to see that Activision is putting off the creation of a new engine, just to minimize cost and maximize profits. I seriously think that they care more about making money instead of going for ground breaking innovation. Expand
  86. Nov 12, 2011
    I first want to say, that I liked Modern Warfare 2, it was al-right and addictive. I hated Blacks ops, really stinks as bad as BO (Hence the acronym?) Modern Warfare 3 is nothing new. Its the same cookie-cutter shape as the last 3 (or 4?) years now. The Call of Duty series just needs to be laid to rest before it loses all of what's left of its dignity as modern shooter.
  87. Nov 12, 2011
    Disappointing. Modern Warfare 1.5 rehashed, campaign waaay too short, multiplayer a tactical clone, essentially no graphical improvements, usual technical difficulties (this time hackers more than crashes). Once again a failure of Activision/InfinityWard to produce anything but an overpriced spray-at-the-feet repeat; if you're considering buying it then go save yourself a few bucks and opt for MW1/BO instead. Expand
  88. Nov 13, 2011
    this game is weak,, same recycled B.S. ,, battelfield 3 is way better as in teamwork, graphics, vehicles you can actually drive, MW3 is just run, and gun, with arcade kill streaks.. still,.
  89. Nov 13, 2011
    I really used to enjoy the call of duty games, but unfortunately this one isn't any different from the previous ones. I purchased the game on the morning of the release and as I went online I noticed most of the players were at level 30 or higher. Some in fact at level 60! WHAT IS GOING ON, HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN 10 HOURS FROM THE RELEASE! This is really annoying. Also this has the same gameplay and even thou I did pretty well online I feel disappointed all and all. Expand
  90. Nov 13, 2011
    Call of Duty is simply the best game out there. One could argue that Modern Warfare 3 used the same textures and ideas from previous games and even the same engine, however simply put, this is Call of Duty. Were you really expecting any innovation? This game is already perfect, how can it get any better? That is why I was surprised when I saw that this game was only rate a 3.1. How is it that on a top video game list that Call of Duty is a 3.1 and not number 1, like it should. Hence why I rates this game number one. Expand
  91. Nov 13, 2011
    Is a terrible game, I hate when the camera moves when you shoot, also the multiplayer has enough errors as bugs that help one to cheat, and in campaign mode also has many bugs. This game is pure hype, the game sucks
  92. Nov 13, 2011
    I generally don't post reviews, but Glenn Schofield's sad plea to boost user reviews here via Twitter is shocking. This game truly does deserve a zero. It isn't "suspiciously low" as Glenn suggests. This game is a $60 tweak of MW2. Schofield should be ashamed for attempting to manipulate the system. The game critic media should be ashamed for not having the guts to review this game for what it is. This game proves the game reviewing industry is corrupt. This game has already broken sales records, and this is a great success. But it's also monumentally sad. As I post this, 3.1 is the user score, and that is really too high. Really! I think I respect Duke Nukem Forever more. That's how astonishgly shameful this effort is. Expand
  93. Nov 13, 2011
    I loved Modern Warfare 2. I loved Black Ops and all the changes it brought. But, i HATE Modern Warfare 3. Its basically a map pack. Pros: large maps, great graphics, easier to kill people (i.e. doesn't take a full clip), new game modes like the tag game, nerfed snipers. Cons: too many sub menus. they aren't intuitive. Doesn't have dedicated server so I've been notice lag again. And if you're the host, you're at a disadvantage. the perk packages are confusing and aren't straight forward. I loved Black Ops and how you could create your own character in the manner you wanted. The purchase system rocked - as did the wager matches. The maps are too busy which makes it hard to pick up players. I hate the new system in non-hardcore that doesn't let you see what team someone is on unless they are close. That's what hardcore is for. They are allowing knifing across the room again. and finally, the environment isn't destructible. after playing BF3, that is one of the things I loved. it keeps the game changing and never stagnant. it also helps keep campers from staying in the same spot since you can blow the hell out of it.

overall, MW3 was a big disappointment. I usually LOVE call of duty games but this felt like nothing more than a map pack with a step backwards from Black Ops because of the confusing menus, undoing the purchasing system, lack of combat training to get to know the maps, and overall feel of the game.

after this, I'm moving to battlefield 3. it's a far superior game. Call of duty, you suck now. You could have come out with an amazing product and built on the success of black ops. but you struck out.

things they can do to improve: get dedicated servers, get destructible environment, bring back the the purchase system
  94. Nov 14, 2011
    I was really looking forward to MW3, especially after being massively disappointed with how corny battlefield 3 was. In the beginning things looked promising, but as you play the multiplayer you realize a few things. On the positive side:

1. I do like how they have dealt with killstreaks this time. you can do support or assault. either way you'll probably be able to call in some sort of
    reward and it keeps that part of the game fun. And the killstreak rewards are the most fun yet. they are hilarious - the robot from short-circuit buzzin around shooting guys is so funny.

2. Some new guns are fun. And I like the new perk system.

On the negative side

1. The spawn points are ridiculous. Either you spawn behind someone and shoot them in the back, they spawn behind you and shoot you on the back, maybe you'll spawn off in the middle of nowhere, if you're lucky you are put with your team in a location where you can choose how to get back into the fight but that's rare. I just finished a match where I spawned behind a guy, shot him in the back, a guy spawned behind me and shot me in the back and he spawned in front of one of my team and was immediately shot in the back. ALL on ONE killcam. So lame.

2. these maps are garbage. just chaotic garbage. no flow, rarely any strategic positions, no battleground. **** just hits the fan everywhere. and they are all SO small. 3. There is no flow. Because of the spawn locations and the cluttered map design the matches are too chaotic. There is rarely an actual battle ground you expect to be fighting over it's just totally random. 3. I understand the desire to cool it on the camping, but with scavenger you can't even re-up on flash grenades. 4. seriously what is with this quick scoping business? I understand it takes practice to get it down but like guys are cruising through hallways with their sniper rifles as shotguns. that's so stupid. It's a glitch which is being exploited. sure it's hard to do it's just goofy.

5. speaking of shotguns they are primary weapons again. the secondary weapons are so lame. like you got an assault rifle good for 30 yards + up and then some wack machine pistol good if you can sneak up on ONE guy to empty the whole clip and then get smoked by their team while you reload. I basically have to use my primary weapon as some catch-all supergun.

6. it's SO dark.

7. aimbots? come on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3B3NQNyPY

8. I'm going back and playing mw2
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    Copy and Paste is not a good way to develop a game!

This game felt like the left over hack-designers at Infinity Ward/Activison raided the pixel pantry left behind by Jason West, Vince Zampella, and the most talented designers who followed these visionary leaders out the door. We want gameplay NOT cinematics!

This current installment is so obviously developed by designers who have no
    capacity to understand what makes the COD games so fun - diverse gameplay, excellent physics, climbable/strategic architecture, and multiplayer experience. It feels as though you are playing in an old -style FPS like Marathon or DOOM where you glide around in an environment that is so rudimentary and crude that you quickly bore of the repetitive gameplay.

I warn anyone thinking of buying this game to heed the overwhelmingly bad user reviews of this game and stick to Treyarch titles in the COD franchise or, like me, just pick up a copy of BF3 and never look back. Especially now that there are team and squad death-match game modes! Infinitely more entertaining!
  96. Nov 28, 2011
    The words of a good developer (not the developer to call off duty)!

Valve quote: Our success is that we ensure that the interests of our customers and partners they can trust us not to exploit this relationship we have them. ""We generally consider focusing on the customer and not focused on the product: most of our decisions are based on the opportunities - very changeable - to better
    serve our customers and not on the optimizations that would make us a better distributor Expand
  97. Nov 15, 2011
    Not what I was looking for. I found this to be the most dumbed down COD experience yet. The changes made to the perk and killstreak systems are cool at first but after the paint wears off, you realize it's the same old car underneath. Multiplayer just doesn't feel right and doesn't run as smooth at MW2.

I guess what can you expect with the core staff of IW leaving. They played it too
    safe this time and yes the casuals and mindless who just buy this game every year because they see a commercial on sunday will buy it, but the people realize what's going on are waking up. Expand
  98. Nov 15, 2011
    I'm not giving this a one to be obnoxious. I'm simply stating a fact. I like many others bought modern warfare 1 and was blown away by the "revolution" . After a disappointment in world at war I bought modern warfare 2 in high hopes that it would be a worthy sequel, which it kind of was...it added many features tightened the multiplayer and continued the story. I was willing to overlook the fact that it was ALMOST the same game, they were coming dangerously close to over saturating the series. Inevitably this happened a year later with black ops which was pretty much a clone of all that had been done before. After all this nonsense we hoped for a glimmer, modern warfare 3...a game which we all hoped would live up to the legacy. Unfortunately all modern warfare 3 really is is and exact replica of all that made up modern warfare 1 and 2. Nothing truly original was added to the experience. Activision has gotten all kinds of greedy. Forcing out games yearly at a full retail price knowing full well they are selling an unworthy product...not taking into account whether or not the consumer is getting what they paid for. The fact that the fans will buy it is apparently enough to justify tossing together some explosions and new maps and putting a new number on the end. All I ask is why? I am not a fan boy of one gaming device or the other, or one gaming series or another, just someone who doesn't understand why this is not only acceptable to you fans, but you will actually defend the games quality. Nothing is truly different about this game then the other major call of duty releases every year since 2007, nothing was stopping them from releasing small packages, more maps, more modes...nothing. Instead they put together not an inferior product, but a slap in the face. All of this has been done before. I've bought this before. You've bought this before. Before you think of buying this garbage and support these publishers who think it's ok to take advantage of loyal fans...think of what you could do to force them to make a modern warfare game that truly lives up to the standards of todays games. Was this much of a review? Not so much...not a rant either. I just want people to realize that the graphics are outdated, story still generic, game play rough, sound poor, and multiplayer virtually unchanged not because they can't but because they wont. Take a stand. Play your last call of duty if you have to a little longer until they see they can't treat people like dirt anymore. If you read this far I hope you see where I'm coming from and live up to my hopes that we will one day see a modern warfare 4 WORTH praising, not this thrown together mess, thank you. Expand
  99. Nov 15, 2011
    Ctrl C + Ctrl V... Call of Duty 1.3... same old game, same old stuff. Developers begging for good ratings on Metacritic just shows how much they know it sucks. It's not even like the Multiplayer maps are any good, although they were made by Sledgehammer so no surprise! Stay away.
  100. Nov 15, 2011
    This fame is more of the same awful gameplay. It's glitchy, frustrating, graphically bad (it's technically alright, but the art direction is the same dull, bland feel) and it does NOTHING NEW. It's also horribly overrated and is a magnet for 12 year old kids to bunk off school.
  101. Nov 10, 2011

1. Jan 11, 2012
    Ultimately, Modern Warfare 3 feels similar to it's brethren, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game. The single player element is still exciting, and multiplayer has more options than ever – if you're a fan of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3 is a no brainer.
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3, while still an excellent thrill ride in its own right, feels far too similar to MW2 or even Black Ops for my taste.
  3. I never expected Modern Warfare 3 to go toe-to-toe with EA's juggernaut this year, but it came out of the gates with a tour de force campaign and co-op mode. It loses points with a perhaps too-familiar multiplayer that caters to the juvenile on Xbox Live; though don't be mistaken, Modern Warfare 3 is one hell of a shooter and a highlight for a series that just won't die – no matter how much we wish it bloody would, at times.