Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Xbox 360

3.4

1. Nov 10, 2011
    There is no reason for such awful reviews of this game. I understand everybody is mad because it seems like the same game as MW2 but it isn't, ok? MW3 has a new game mode called "Survival" which is like zombies but with enemy soldiers/aircraft that get harder as you get further. The online play is rivaled by only Battlefield 3 and still cannot touch COD MW3. The first couple weeks areThere is no reason for such awful reviews of this game. I understand everybody is mad because it seems like the same game as MW2 but it isn't, ok? MW3 has a new game mode called "Survival" which is like zombies but with enemy soldiers/aircraft that get harder as you get further. The online play is rivaled by only Battlefield 3 and still cannot touch COD MW3. The first couple weeks are always laggy online due to the sheer amount of people online. Give them some time to work out the bugs people! 7/10 Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2011
    Wait, what's this? Someone who actually played the game? Whoa, that's pretty rare considering all the BF3 fanboys and CoD haters on this site. Still, I'll be the first to admit that Modern Warfare 3... isn't perfect. But, it's no where NEAR as bad as half the user reviews are making it out to be. Sure it may be a little repetitive in certain aspects but, its that same form of repetitiveWait, what's this? Someone who actually played the game? Whoa, that's pretty rare considering all the BF3 fanboys and CoD haters on this site. Still, I'll be the first to admit that Modern Warfare 3... isn't perfect. But, it's no where NEAR as bad as half the user reviews are making it out to be. Sure it may be a little repetitive in certain aspects but, its that same form of repetitive run-n-gun gameplay that attracts people to it each year. The campaign doesn't bring anything too new to the table, but thats doesn't take away from the fact its a fun story to play through filled with some exciting (although, predictable) set piece moments. In terms of co-op, I actually enjoyed spec ops more here in MW3 more than in MW2. At least in MW3 they actually feel like missions rather than challenges or something. Finally, there is the multiplayer, which is what the majority of buyers buy Call of Duty for. Odds are if you enjoyed MW2's multiplayer, your going to enjoy MW3's. The money system from Black Ops is gone, so your back to having to work to get all the attachments/camos for the guns. The maps sometimes feel cramped or too large, but still deliver the action that your used to. In short, MW3 doesn't change anything. But thats not a bad thing, because as the saying goes "If its not broke, don't try to fix it." To some of you it may seem that Activision is just selling the same product over and over again repackaged. In response, I say welcome to capitalism. Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    The BF3 campaign is a joke compared to the story of the Single Player in this MW3. Sure the Frost Bite 2 engine is new and shiny, but it runs poorly on consoles and the game lacks creativity both artistically and in terms of game play. And DICE goes on about the limitations of consoles, yet Naughty Dog proves them wrong by outshining them on PS3 graphically with Uncharted 3, evenThe BF3 campaign is a joke compared to the story of the Single Player in this MW3. Sure the Frost Bite 2 engine is new and shiny, but it runs poorly on consoles and the game lacks creativity both artistically and in terms of game play. And DICE goes on about the limitations of consoles, yet Naughty Dog proves them wrong by outshining them on PS3 graphically with Uncharted 3, even impressing some PC gamers - I'm sure. I was bored quite abruptly with Battlefield 3, the Single Player campaign was dull and the story was too similar to Black Ops' - the only thing I found any enjoyment in was playing Co-Op with a friend. On MW3 I was actually more impressed with the Presentation than I was expecting, especially considering that everything was running at 60 FPS around the even most intense moments. The rating here is unfair, it's become a trend to hate on something that's popular, and I can't say I'm surprised. There is so much content in this game, and so many hours of enjoyment. In regards to Single Player it ties up the story of the Modern Warfare trilogy, otherwise it's more of the same with lots of improvement, which is not a bad thing really. EA has treated their customers poorly by limiting their game to certain stores, and has said that they are going to ruin the Call Of Duty franchise once and for all like they did with Guitar Hero. So I'm not sure the haters of CoD know who they are following here, because this kind of attitude is damaging to the industry as whole. Expand
  4. Nov 13, 2011
    Now, being honest, this map kick ass, its even better than first strike!(black ops) and the other map packs, so, this game should be called MW2 2.1,as a sequel its fail, but as a map pack it kick ass!
  5. Nov 8, 2011
    If you enjoyed MW2 you like MW3, but from the last 5 hours or so I'd say that there is nothing new to see here. The new 'features' are unfortunately just gimmicks. If a company just churns out the same game every year they can at least have the decency to price their product appropriately, say in the 30 dollar, 20 euro range. With that said, its still a solid game and fun to play so itIf you enjoyed MW2 you like MW3, but from the last 5 hours or so I'd say that there is nothing new to see here. The new 'features' are unfortunately just gimmicks. If a company just churns out the same game every year they can at least have the decency to price their product appropriately, say in the 30 dollar, 20 euro range. With that said, its still a solid game and fun to play so it gets a solid 7/10. Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    Short and sweet, CoD MW 3 suffers from the sports game syndrome. A new season new game or is it? As with sports games annually they get a few tweaks and roster updates! Same is the case here. If you liked MW and MW 2 then you will like this game. Its up to you if its worth the 60 asking price! The campaign was good (6- 8 hrs) the multi player is more of the same.The MW series is startingShort and sweet, CoD MW 3 suffers from the sports game syndrome. A new season new game or is it? As with sports games annually they get a few tweaks and roster updates! Same is the case here. If you liked MW and MW 2 then you will like this game. Its up to you if its worth the 60 asking price! The campaign was good (6- 8 hrs) the multi player is more of the same.The MW series is starting to show its age. Its a fun game in its own way. But its just a New year new maps and some tweaks. Activsion better hold off for a yr or two and bring something new to the table. with the next instalment! Expand
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    Very short one this time just highlighting key points.
    Graphics: 6.5 - Certainly not the best on the console anymore, somewhat dated but new engine makes things a bit more sleek.
    Presentation: 6 - Quite well presented but there is a lot of room for improvement again. Gameplay: 7 - Keeps the gameplay fresh with the addtion of new modes and some additional features but nothing
    Very short one this time just highlighting key points.
    Gameplay: 7 - Keeps the gameplay fresh with the addtion of new modes and some additional features but nothing groundbreaking in the slightest
    Lasting Appeal: 7 - Depends on the player, personally the series has become to formulaic and needs a fantastic reboot to help the series make that groundbreaking step of modern warefare this is also applied to why graphics gets a 6.5 its not far enough from nodern warare 2. This game is very frustrating to any fan of the series as it does not innovate but simply reiterates the series formula activision fail to take a risk and end up paying for it through the fans critical analysis of the game.
  8. Nov 8, 2011
    Lets do this logically
    Story: Completed at a friends in a staggeringly short period of time. This is the short of campaign I expect from indie games releasing a game 'Episode'. Massively cliche, bad dialogue and horrifyingly dull and repititive. Micheal Bay, one adrenaline rush to the next. Unrealistic rushes too. 4/10 (For nice set pieces)
    Gameplay: Exactly the same as when COD4 did it
    Lets do this logically
    Gameplay: Exactly the same as when COD4 did it right. Barely a thing changed except now its quicker to reload than switch weapons which is a mess really. Its repititive at best but not much faults Really. 7/10
    Gamestyle: The game is focused around close combat, reflex based snap shooting. It is basically one adrenaline rush after another (that phrase is getting repititive). Its not competitive in any way and doesn't really add anything. 5/10
    Graphics: Nothing fantastic. Nothing horrible. But at times it seemed glitchy and some of the cutscenes seemed unrealistic (planes flying through stuff). Its not awful but its far from perfect. 7.5/10
    Multiplayer: Much like the gameplay but I just wanted to mention how little the maps seemed to have changed and appear to be simple rehases. A lot of work has gone in however to make sure that there is no part where you have long vision and firing possibilties to prevent strategy 5/10
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    An honest review of the game to be honest. It's certainly better than MW2, which was an abyssmal mess, but this game has nothing on Black Ops. The maps look different but layout and structure is the same, making the large varitey of guns pointless as only smgs and assualt rifles will be used due to the tiny map sizes. Quick-scoping is back. It can F*** off in my opinion. It was always aAn honest review of the game to be honest. It's certainly better than MW2, which was an abyssmal mess, but this game has nothing on Black Ops. The maps look different but layout and structure is the same, making the large varitey of guns pointless as only smgs and assualt rifles will be used due to the tiny map sizes. Quick-scoping is back. It can F*** off in my opinion. It was always a terrible addition to the game and it should never have been brought back. Maps are alright but as a whole they are poor due to the total lack of variety. The story is very good though, and is the only reason this game gets a five. The other half (Multiplayer) is a big fat zero due to easily exploited flaws in the system and total inability to bring together teams and reward them for working together. As for Spec Ops, it's still two player only (What the hell Infinity Ward) and survival is a less entertaining re-hashed zombies mode. That's about it. I'll probably be trading in this lame game soon and will be getting Battlefield 3 and see if that's any better. Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    Perhaps it's because I've never played another Modern Warfare game but thus far I am thoroughly enjoying the game. The guns, killstreaks, and class combinations are fantastic. I look forward to playing more.
  11. Nov 13, 2011
    Now, I'm an old gamer (not too old) and I like COD, but it does annoy me when it comes to the hype of many games - sometimes they do live up to it but unfortunately in the case of MW3 (in my opinion) this is not the case. I have played the game (even bought the extortionate hardened edition - for elite access, but I guess that's for another gripe later if they ever get the service up andNow, I'm an old gamer (not too old) and I like COD, but it does annoy me when it comes to the hype of many games - sometimes they do live up to it but unfortunately in the case of MW3 (in my opinion) this is not the case. I have played the game (even bought the extortionate hardened edition - for elite access, but I guess that's for another gripe later if they ever get the service up and running) and where it is a very good and compelling campaign it helps to finish the story - isn't that what we've een waiting for?

I was looking forward to the Spec Ops side of the game - my favourite part if I'm honest and it hasn't let me down, it's challenging in places but not too much that I wanna throw the controller at the screen.

The biggest let down is (wait for the screams of derision) - multiplayer! Go ahead, scoff!!!

The reason I say it's a let down is that the illustrious makers have (again in my opinion) spent more time on the scenery rather than actual gameplay - too much on scenery, maybe that wouldn't be a problem if I could walk over a stone on the ground without being able to move (other than moving left or right to walk around it!).

Let's also just take a moment to mention weapons - now I'm no expert (only in my own head) but as far as I am aware a shotgun (no matter what kind) doesn't need nor can or should it be fitted with a silencer not to mention the fact that it is not a SNIPER RIFLE and therefore CANNOT kill from great distance with one shot - hell, in accordance with COD a .50 calibre sniper rifle needs at least 3-5 shots to put a man down!

Hey, it's not just COD that falters with the weapons but that's just the way I feel after all the hype and the wait for such a poor show of what should have been a fantastic game. Thanks if you have waited until the end to berate my opinion - guess I'm off to play some BF3.
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    for real, this is the worst game i've ever played. Not only is it a copy paste of mw2 and mw, it is a sheer insult to the intelligence of the human race. The amount of mindless people buying activision's crap is ASTOUNDING. I can no longer trust the reviews of any site. Just play cod 2, it was better than this garbage.
  13. Nov 9, 2011
    I have owned every COD since COD 2. I don't own this one and have only played it for a few hours over a friends. To be blunt COD4 and WAW were VERY good games. But after that MW2 and BLOPS were all the same game. I get it "if it aint broke dont fix it". But even sports games that are the same thing every year know that you need to ADD something to keep your fan base. And thats after theyI have owned every COD since COD 2. I don't own this one and have only played it for a few hours over a friends. To be blunt COD4 and WAW were VERY good games. But after that MW2 and BLOPS were all the same game. I get it "if it aint broke dont fix it". But even sports games that are the same thing every year know that you need to ADD something to keep your fan base. And thats after they get roster changes and natural changes. Why cant MW3 add a custom player, custom factions, war mode, more players, vehicles (WAW) ANYTHING! But the game still isnt unplayable. But I feel most of the reviews are 0s because people felt like they were robbed. Expand
  14. Nov 9, 2011
    Even though there is a new Call o Duty every year I usually get excited and can't stop playing for the first few days. Yet as soon as I started playing after waiting for an hour in line I yawned. I thought it just needs more time until I get used to it but no. The excitement, the fun I felt with previous titles that really haven't changed since MW1 is gone. I still enjoyed the campaign soEven though there is a new Call o Duty every year I usually get excited and can't stop playing for the first few days. Yet as soon as I started playing after waiting for an hour in line I yawned. I thought it just needs more time until I get used to it but no. The excitement, the fun I felt with previous titles that really haven't changed since MW1 is gone. I still enjoyed the campaign so I'm giving it a 6 but when I want fun challenging multilayer I put in BF3. Call of Duty is played out. Expand
  15. Nov 9, 2011
    The single player campaign was great, exactly what I expected (non stop roller coaster ride of over the top action and absolutely ridiculous situations).

The Multiplayer on the other hand was exactly what I feared. If you enjoyed the MP for MW2 then you'll love this, because honestly, it's pretty much the same. Sure they added in some new perks and you can level your gun up now (neat?) but it looks and feels EXACTLY like MW2. The maps aren't exactly anything to write home about either. They all seem too small, too cramped and too maze-like. If it wasn't for the fun I had with the single player portion I would have rated this lower.
  16. Nov 10, 2011
    Okay, so let's be totally reasonable. This is NOT a bad game. Not at all. If you've never played a Call Of Duty game before, this is one for you.

Now, if you have (specifically Modern Warfare 2), skip it. I am shocked to see how a franchise with a big name can do this to itself. How can you do this? How can you just repeat something without even trying to bring in ANY sense of innovation?

I would have loved to have something nicer to say about this game, but unfortunately, I don't.
  17. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the CoD series. This one is a solid installment. I miss combat training mode from Black Ops; great fun when you get tired of random human players and online lag issues ruining. The survival mode is very cool, but why only 2 players?? It's fun like the GoW3 Horde Mode, but only allowing 2 players makes it hard to play with friends, unless of course you only have 1 friend!I'm a big fan of the CoD series. This one is a solid installment. I miss combat training mode from Black Ops; great fun when you get tired of random human players and online lag issues ruining. The survival mode is very cool, but why only 2 players?? It's fun like the GoW3 Horde Mode, but only allowing 2 players makes it hard to play with friends, unless of course you only have 1 friend! :-) Graphics and sound are the same, high quality we expect, but no obvius improvements. On multiplayer, I have had a number of times where the hit box seems to be off, i.e., the other guy was aiming close to me but not at me (based on the killcam replay) but I died -- very frustrating. Can't give this game more than a 7 due to lack of innovation, dropping combat training and limiting survival to 2 players. Expand
  18. Nov 16, 2011
    you asked for similar gameplay and got it, there is flaws with this game but overall they delivered whst the fans asked for, no reason to bash on this game so bad its alright
  19. KFM
    Nov 12, 2011
    First off I'm not going to start complaining about lack of innovation or that the game is a rehash. I have been a Call of Duty fan for a couple of years now with plenty of days spent playing MW2 and Black ops, both of which did have their problems but overall I enjoyed, the single player campaign of MW3 was fun and everything you would expect from a Call of Duty campaign but theFirst off I'm not going to start complaining about lack of innovation or that the game is a rehash. I have been a Call of Duty fan for a couple of years now with plenty of days spent playing MW2 and Black ops, both of which did have their problems but overall I enjoyed, the single player campaign of MW3 was fun and everything you would expect from a Call of Duty campaign but the multi-player is what I really bought the game for. The game seems to improve on the multi-player I am accustomed to as well bringing the balance MW2 needed as well is getting core mechanics right which is what Black Ops needed; but where the game falls flat for me is the maps. I don't like the new direction of the maps they all seem very similar and feel like an ant tunnel. They just seem like mindless running about with no strategy or structure and there seems to too many routes and entrances to any position and there is a serious lack of the verticality MW2 maps brought to the table. The spawns only exacerbate the situation and are at times extremely poor. For some reason they also seem to have backtracked on the scaling; poor scaling of objects, buildings, doors, and character models can be frustrating. The dislike of almost all the maps is an irredeemable factor for me and no amount of map packs can fix that which is very unfortunate because the game could of been the best one yet. This is also the first time I bought the hardened edition which only makes it worse. Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2011
    I absolutely loved the first Modern Warfare, and the second was alright. Black Ops wasn't the most original CoD, but there was still things I liked about it, as you could tell Treyarch was really trying to step out of Infinity Ward's shadow. Modern Warfare 3 didn't disappoint me, but it made me feel a little empty. Even as I'm writing this review, commercials keep talking and boastingI absolutely loved the first Modern Warfare, and the second was alright. Black Ops wasn't the most original CoD, but there was still things I liked about it, as you could tell Treyarch was really trying to step out of Infinity Ward's shadow. Modern Warfare 3 didn't disappoint me, but it made me feel a little empty. Even as I'm writing this review, commercials keep talking and boasting about the game. The game doesn't seem good enough to receive THAT much praise and attention. The campaign is alright, and I enjoyed the Special Ops more due to being able to find players randomly on it instead of MW2's crappy "you have to invite a friend!" system. The multiplayer is even laggier than before and makes it almost unplayable - mixed in with elitist kids who only experience the highlight of their lives by running around with UMP's and the Steady AIm perk. Expand
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like smearing a game like this. But honestly, early previews suggested nothing exciting about this game, and the biggest aspect of its appeal to me was its story; and while I have enjoyed my time with it playing with my friends, and I have a modicum of fun with it, I certainly agree that there is nothing here which hasn't been done before, specifically in Modern Warfare 2. This game needs to be the last time Activision rests on its laurels, lest next year be the Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock/ Tony Hawk Ride of this series. People say its the Madden of shooters, and this years is that in spades. While I haven't finished Campaign yet, so far its been a largely predictable bit of set pieces, retreading the same old gameplay "variety" we've had since Modern Warfare is a bit trite. I started the story on veteran and have had little difficulty at all moving through it. The story seems ridiculous the more I think of it -- the notion that all of the world would go to war over one American body found at a terrorist attack? We couldn't disavow this guy? All the footage of the four OTHER guys, one of which, at least, Russian? (Don't get me wrong, I felt that sequence in the airport was very powerful, and a great device for the story, and the consequences were handled well enough too. I felt something seeing suburbs burning as Ramirez.) But I digress. So I will say lastly for the story so far is that the sequence which has been most controversial so far, was not at all necessary, and is rendered less effective even for how out of place it is, as there are no other children in the story, or any where. So I feel this fell flat, to be frank, like they only included it to A) Try and cram drama forcibly down our throat, or B) Tried to cram controversy down our throat. This game plays solidly, and has plenty of bro worthy moments, but no more or less than any other Call of duty ever has in its online play. THis is fine. And the fact that millions have bought it, thats fine too. But it is sad, in a way. As you see I feel this game was mostly phoned in, and if you feel like Professional reviewers were paid off , I feel similarly. The spec ops mode is unorginal, but I had fun with MW2s, and I enjoy survival, as well. I will continue to play Multiplayer, just to hang and compete with friends. But I will not pay another dime for dlc, I will not get Elite. The changes I can note are only two fold: Grenade launchers don't kill in one shot, and strike packages. This was overhyped. Halo 2, was hyped about right, maybe a lil bit over. But not as much. Expand
  22. Nov 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Modern Warfare 3 is claimed to be the "Most anticipated game in history", as i recall from the launch trailer, yet, for some this may be true, but for others, it is not. The single player campaign has always felt engaging like the multi-player but with more control, like difficulty and pausing. The story is both a triumphant and tragic tale of where everything is lost, all to defeat a single man, and feels like a powerful conclusion to the story of Price and Co. The multi-player, however feels neither powerful, nor triumphant when victory is achieved, and the progression in multi-player feels unusually fast paced, and undermines many unlocks gained (apart from Gold camouflage of course, ha ha). The multi-player, however IS a great step-up from Modern Warfare 2's formulae of multi-player, promoting more "Gun-on-Gun action", for example. And whilst this is true, the sky seems just as saturated with point-streaks as any other CoD, making some Perk choices such as Blind Eye a must for an Anti-air class needed to prevent most targets from mowing down the team, or just your self in the the case of free-for-all. The strike packages are a great addition, but feel a bit too rewarding for some tasks, such as the support class granting an EMP after 18 point-streak, which may seem like a lot, but for the player with an overpowered class, the reward is always within reach. Overall, the multi-player feels like some changes are needed and some things simply removed. Some maps, for example, feel too small, and some feel too easy to exploit. While the multi-player is not the best, it still provides many hours of game-play, especially with friends, which, feels like the best group to play on-line with. The single player, while epic in its scenes and story, felt marginally brief for a first time play-through to simply absorb the story. The Spec-Ops, by the way is just as great as its predecessor and the survival is a neat addition, as well as the levelling system, making progress more worth the time.

Overall, as a package, MW3 delivers to most, but not all. The Campaign is for a great story of a roller-coaster ride, Spec-ops for the dynamic duos of buddies who enjoy working together (or alone if desired) and the multi player is, as usual, the instant jump-in action station people hunger for.
  23. Nov 15, 2011
    This is the best Call of Duty game ever, but that's all it is. it's graphics seems even less than mw2, like a mix of black ops and mw2. The explosions are lame. The story was amazing but it was still lacking. The multiplayer is addicting as ever. but this just doesn't deserve game of the year.
  24. Nov 15, 2011
    I have no choice but to rate this game a 5, because it just seems to be in the middle of the road. For one, it looks identical to MW2 and plays identical to MW2. There are a few new perks, a few new guns, and a new killstreak system (strike packages) but other than that we are talking identical game. The emblems and titles are all identical from MW2, which is a bit odd. It just seems moreI have no choice but to rate this game a 5, because it just seems to be in the middle of the road. For one, it looks identical to MW2 and plays identical to MW2. There are a few new perks, a few new guns, and a new killstreak system (strike packages) but other than that we are talking identical game. The emblems and titles are all identical from MW2, which is a bit odd. It just seems more like MW2.5 than MW3, hard to understand what they spent the last 2 years working on. Don't get me wrong though, aside from this it is still a great game. I have fun playing, but of the last 4 COD games, my favorite is still Black Ops personally. MW was a revolutionary game, and they've copied that success for every single game since - it just seems like it's time for something new. What ever happen to innovation? Expand
  25. Nov 22, 2011
    I have been playing Call Of Duty since 2001. They are technically brilliant games and Call Of Duty 4 was the game that singlehandedly reinvented the first person shooter genre. It is tremendous fun to play and I loved it. Modern Warfare 3 is, although fun, staying relatively safe in terms of innovation, keeping the same gameplay and graphics engine from Modern Warfare 2. This is however,I have been playing Call Of Duty since 2001. They are technically brilliant games and Call Of Duty 4 was the game that singlehandedly reinvented the first person shooter genre. It is tremendous fun to play and I loved it. Modern Warfare 3 is, although fun, staying relatively safe in terms of innovation, keeping the same gameplay and graphics engine from Modern Warfare 2. This is however, no bad thing. The gameplay is ridiculously smooth, the story plays out like a Michael Bay film and the music suits the action well. The only reason it isn't receiving a higher score is its lack of innovation. Expand
  26. Dec 19, 2011
    I love the series. This is a decent game. But developers should not expect high scores if they don't push the boundaries, especially when the series has made tens of millions in profit. Nothing new here.
  27. Jan 6, 2012
    I first want to say, giving this game anything under a 5 is purely hatred towards the game, and holds zero credibility. With that being said, the COD formula is tried and true. This has been the highest selling franchise in XBOX history, and for good reason. However, playing MW3 and MW2 is hard to differentiate. MW3 is the more balanced game, and may be the most balanced COD title toI first want to say, giving this game anything under a 5 is purely hatred towards the game, and holds zero credibility. With that being said, the COD formula is tried and true. This has been the highest selling franchise in XBOX history, and for good reason. However, playing MW3 and MW2 is hard to differentiate. MW3 is the more balanced game, and may be the most balanced COD title to date. The game has a bit more detail as far as graphics go. Less explosive damage is a welcome addition to MW3, as well as no commando. Nice weapon balance (apart from the Type 95, and the Striker). On a negative note, the maps are crap. They're the campiest maps ive ever played, and they are flat out boring aside from hardhat, village & dome. Lack of innovation, & poor map design drops my rating for this game to a 7. This franchise will slowly start to fade away if they stick with the trend of staying with the exact same formula. Expand
  28. Mar 24, 2015
    Average, that's all, this game is the definition of average. The graphics aren't improved at all from MW2 and Black Ops. The story is quite good if you like a rollercoaster, co-op is awesome with friends but MP is horribly unbalanced with no proper developer support.
  29. Nov 10, 2011
    I fell in love with the first two Modern Warfare's, and whilst the second showed a resemblance to the first there were marked differences and it still possessed a good campaign which really got me involved and attached to the characters. As for Modern Warfare 3, well it just didnt have that same thrill to play, The campaign was a little indecisive, It just didn't deliver the same characterI fell in love with the first two Modern Warfare's, and whilst the second showed a resemblance to the first there were marked differences and it still possessed a good campaign which really got me involved and attached to the characters. As for Modern Warfare 3, well it just didnt have that same thrill to play, The campaign was a little indecisive, It just didn't deliver the same character connection as MW1, and when seeing a memorable character die, just didn't have a good enough emotional impact in my opinion. The middle through to the end of the campaign felt quick, rushed and a bit of a let down compared to the other MW games, the multiplayer is still addictive, but with not enough guns, and an out of date engine it just could have been so much better... Expand
  30. Nov 10, 2011
    I would have liked to have seen more innovation in more updates to the game's engine. However, it's still better than black ops in my opinion. Multiplayer is still fun, and probably the best out there. Community interaction and support via the official support forums is horrible because the forum site is unstable. The launch of Elite has been problematic as well. It would be nice ifI would have liked to have seen more innovation in more updates to the game's engine. However, it's still better than black ops in my opinion. Multiplayer is still fun, and probably the best out there. Community interaction and support via the official support forums is horrible because the forum site is unstable. The launch of Elite has been problematic as well. It would be nice if someone who could predict server load would actually get this right in the future. Expand
  31. Nov 10, 2011
    Some of the scores for this are are plain stupid.A 0 out of 10 is ridiculous,as it's implying the game is bad in all areas which it is not.I don't think it's worthy of a 10 as it has a very short single player campaign,and to be fair it feels more like a tiny update to MW2.The multiplayer for me is what lets this game down.The maps are very claustrophobic,and not one of them is any goodSome of the scores for this are are plain stupid.A 0 out of 10 is ridiculous,as it's implying the game is bad in all areas which it is not.I don't think it's worthy of a 10 as it has a very short single player campaign,and to be fair it feels more like a tiny update to MW2.The multiplayer for me is what lets this game down.The maps are very claustrophobic,and not one of them is any good for sniping which compared to MW2 is very disappointing to say the least.And my god the camping in this game is a joke at times,i thought it was bad in black ops,but MW3 has outdone it in that department.Players hiding in dark corners in rooms or crouched down behind skips just frustrate the hell out of me.Spec ops is a good challenge,and theres fun to be had playing it with a friend.But overall as a complete package MW3 slightly disappoints me as i was expecting it to blow me away.MW2 was awesome but MW3 is just an ok game for me,graphically its good and it plays well,but it just feels like it's lacking due to the short campaign and poor multiplayer maps.If your a fan of the series then sure go ahead and buy it,but i would wait a while as £45 is alot for a tiny update.If i was to say anything to Activision Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer it would be this,please make the multiplayer maps more open as they all feel very claustrophobic and are poor for sniping.And for me getting rid of lightweight and commando was a big no no from me,anyone could use those perks so what the hell was the problem?...........Overall i rate this game a 7.5 as it's decent but not amazing! Expand
  32. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is just a repacked retweaked version of modern warfare 2 it feels like I am playing the exact same game it has so much hype and so much suck's save your money for battlefield 3 now that's a real first person shooter game
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    only just above average as i loved single player and spec ops were brilliant as for online what a load of poop i thought everyone was camping because the maps were new oh how i was wrong, reminds me of a **** mw2 but a better black ops
  34. Nov 20, 2011
    This game would have gotten a higher review if it was a) released a year ago b) called DLC Don't let the title fool you. If you liked MW2 you will like this one. the campaign was over the top constant action with plenty of moments were i was thinking there is nooooo way this physically could be happening my character should be dead already but the very last moment of the game was great andThis game would have gotten a higher review if it was a) released a year ago b) called DLC Don't let the title fool you. If you liked MW2 you will like this one. the campaign was over the top constant action with plenty of moments were i was thinking there is nooooo way this physically could be happening my character should be dead already but the very last moment of the game was great and had me smiling. I just expected more. It is a great game for the casual gamer but some of the "innovations" were ways to help people who cant get a kill streak i found the spawns frustrating and could only play it for half an hour before switching to Batman, Battlefield or Skyrim. it doesn't deserve a 0 but im not going to reward a game for staying inside the box Expand
  35. Nov 21, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3 isn't a bad game. It just isn't a good one either. The campaign feels a little forced, while the multiplayer is just a rehash of the past few call of duty games. The violence in modern warfare 3 is a little over the top and is unnecessary in some parts. The story also really doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion. The multiplayer is still plagued with the same problems asModern Warfare 3 isn't a bad game. It just isn't a good one either. The campaign feels a little forced, while the multiplayer is just a rehash of the past few call of duty games. The violence in modern warfare 3 is a little over the top and is unnecessary in some parts. The story also really doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion. The multiplayer is still plagued with the same problems as black ops and modern warfare 2. It doesn't do anything new and really feels like an expansion to black ops than a stand alone title. But it is from activision who is known for skipping innovation and new ideas to push out a damn near exact copy just to turn a profit. Expand
  36. Nov 21, 2011
    The single player is another blockbuster masterpiece. I enjoyed every minute. The multiplayer is the same old cake we have been eating for a while now, it just has some new frosting. I am content with my purchase of this game since I never outplayed the other two. You may want to rent this game instead of buying it if you have already had your fill of modern warfare. CoD Elite has alsoThe single player is another blockbuster masterpiece. I enjoyed every minute. The multiplayer is the same old cake we have been eating for a while now, it just has some new frosting. I am content with my purchase of this game since I never outplayed the other two. You may want to rent this game instead of buying it if you have already had your fill of modern warfare. CoD Elite has also flopped on release as well. It is completely broken at the moment. Supposedly there is a fix on Dec 1st. But we will see what happens. Expand
  37. Nov 8, 2011
    Facts be facts, this game feels extremely similar to MW2. From the graphics to the online multiplayer, redoing what was already successful is the name of the game. Of course, that isn't necessarily bad, sticking to a winning formula means that the people who liked the last game will probably like this one too. That is the meat of it really, if you liked the last game, you'll like this one.Facts be facts, this game feels extremely similar to MW2. From the graphics to the online multiplayer, redoing what was already successful is the name of the game. Of course, that isn't necessarily bad, sticking to a winning formula means that the people who liked the last game will probably like this one too. That is the meat of it really, if you liked the last game, you'll like this one. I still feel as though the single-player is lacking and at this point they might as well just cut it out. Lets face it, we all know what this series is about now. Expand
  38. Nov 13, 2011
    The Call of Duty creators must be criticized for having the greatest opportunity in the industry with unlimited resources to only coming up with a half good product. CoD is value for money but is lacking in original creativity. The special Ops is well done, the story pretty much sucks (no excuses - it sucks and you have brain damage if you think it's a good story), and the multiplayer isThe Call of Duty creators must be criticized for having the greatest opportunity in the industry with unlimited resources to only coming up with a half good product. CoD is value for money but is lacking in original creativity. The special Ops is well done, the story pretty much sucks (no excuses - it sucks and you have brain damage if you think it's a good story), and the multiplayer is the same as ever with little innovation. I do recommend MW3 due its surface fun and value for money but it lacks to what should have been something much much more. Expand
  39. Nov 16, 2011
    So....... Modern Warfare 3 it's finally upon us, is it good? Yes I think it rounds off the story pretty well, and the MP is much better than the others. Only problem I have with these games is they lose there appeal quickly cause its far to much of the same, car wait for my copy of skyrim
  40. Nov 10, 2011
    well i am shocked at the COD haters coming out in such force to slag a game to death. come on people, grow up. no game warrants a 0/10 score, especially not MW3. Ok, it's the same as the rest with no breakthroughs or innovation, but hey, that's the COD series to a tee. You know what you are buying and that's why people buy it, it's not for hardcore gamers and it's an easy game to pick upwell i am shocked at the COD haters coming out in such force to slag a game to death. come on people, grow up. no game warrants a 0/10 score, especially not MW3. Ok, it's the same as the rest with no breakthroughs or innovation, but hey, that's the COD series to a tee. You know what you are buying and that's why people buy it, it's not for hardcore gamers and it's an easy game to pick up and play when you don't have a lot of free time. Overall it is just like MW and MW2 but they had great multi-player and that's why people buy this game. think metacritic needs to put a stop to this bashing Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2011
    Still the best first person shooter multiplayer on the market. Still one of the worst campaign modes of any game. If you liked the other games in the Call of Duty series, you'll like MW3. In my opinion the maps are getting a bit repetitive. It feels like they're taking bits and pieces from older maps and combining them. It's fun, but it's not as innovative as the previous chapters.
  42. Nov 8, 2011
    it's pretty much the same thing you've grown accustomed to seeing in a CoD game. Innovation and huge improvements are at a minimum. It appears to be a battle of who can have the shortest campaign in a FPS because each installment downgrades the importance of a SP in a MP themed game. To each their own in that regard.
  43. Nov 8, 2011
    let me get this straight modern warfare 3 is nothing new which in a way is good the single-player is longer than modern warfare 2 but the story still confuses me its the normal mash up of spectacular set pieces lots of good gun-play and the variety of locations the multi player though is what modern warfare 3 is all about few new game modes like confirmed kill where to get points forlet me get this straight modern warfare 3 is nothing new which in a way is good the single-player is longer than modern warfare 2 but the story still confuses me its the normal mash up of spectacular set pieces lots of good gun-play and the variety of locations the multi player though is what modern warfare 3 is all about few new game modes like confirmed kill where to get points for your team you have to kill someone and take the dog-tags of them the maps are new and diverse ranging from Paris to south america the guns are more a less the same and the sounds for the weapons are the same as in modern warfare 2 spec-ops is the most fun ive had on the game yet there's survival and mission lets say you get a big roast the multiplayer is the big juicy steak and the single player is the flavoring on top
    if you want to get this game i'd suggest to rent it out first
  44. Nov 8, 2011
    MW3 is somewhat of a letdown, at the same time a great experience. There are generally not much changes to this game, which makes me think IW barely put effort to this final chapter in the MW series. The graphics are the same as the previous 4 games, with almost identical gameplay and multiplayer, which makes you think that you're paying 60 bucks for a DLC. Fortunately, the multiplayer,MW3 is somewhat of a letdown, at the same time a great experience. There are generally not much changes to this game, which makes me think IW barely put effort to this final chapter in the MW series. The graphics are the same as the previous 4 games, with almost identical gameplay and multiplayer, which makes you think that you're paying 60 bucks for a DLC. Fortunately, the multiplayer, even if identical, is still nice, with new rules like dog-tags (no more campers). I personally think that it is even better than Black Op's multiplayer, and a little less broken. The single player is fun too, but the story isn't much to remember. The ending (don't worry, I won't spoil) is satisfying, but is also the worst out of the 3 MW games. The gameplay has somewhat of a twist to it with new settings and such, like NY, but nothing that blows your mind. I do think the single player is better than Black Ops, though, not looking like a Michael Bay movie during the COLD WAR. Co-op is, as always, fun, but I really enjoy the new survival mode, because playing with your friends on xbox live (or psn or steam) is that much fun. Overall, if you are tired of the CoD gameplay, than skip this title, but if you are a CoD fanboy or a newcomer to the franchise, pick this up, because its not that bad. Expand
  45. Nov 8, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3 is the sequel to the 2009 game 'Modern Warfare 2'. It picks up exactly where MW2 left off with Russia attacking the United States and Captain Price and Captain Mactavish escaping Afghanistan after "murdering" General Shepherd. The story take you on a roller coaster ride around the world including places such as New York, Siberia and Somalia. You play as multipleModern Warfare 3 is the sequel to the 2009 game 'Modern Warfare 2'. It picks up exactly where MW2 left off with Russia attacking the United States and Captain Price and Captain Mactavish escaping Afghanistan after "murdering" General Shepherd. The story take you on a roller coaster ride around the world including places such as New York, Siberia and Somalia. You play as multiple characters that are a part of the infamous 'Task Force 141', a US Army Delta Force operative, A member of the Special Air Service (SAS), and as a presidential bodyguard. The single player is heavily scripted, but it is extremely entertaining throughout. One moment in particular puts you in an AC-130 gunship as one moment, and then fly's you down to the ground to play in your traditional FPS perspective. If you're not really interested in the single play campaign, MW3 and a huge multiplayer and cooperative suite bursting at the seams with content. You and a friend can team up and the the traditional 'Specs Ops' missions that were featured in Modern Warfare 2, or you can play the new 'Specs Ops Survival' mode. Survival mode puts you a multiplayer map of your choosing against wave after waved of heavily armed combatants. You can weapons to use (which you can also upgrade), close air support (airstrikes, A.I controlled Delta Force Squad), and explosives (C4 packs, claymores).

But what you're probably here for is the multiplayer.

The multiplayer features your traditional 'Call of Duty' staples including create a class, kill streak rewards and perks. Create and class allows you to customize your own load out to take into battle. You can choose what weapons to take in to battle, and also allows you to choose perks, which are special abilities that you can unlock and use on your multiplayer character. The kill streak rewards are now known as 'Strike Packages'. There are three types of 'Strike Package', assault, support, and specialist. The assault package includes the traditional kill streak rewards such as predator missile and AC-130 gunships, and they reset upon your death. The support package includes defensive rewards such as UAV's and recon drones. The most interest 'Strike Package' is the specialist package. The specialist package allows you to trade in your traditional rewards in for perks. A decent player can earn every perk in the game, and dominate with them.

Now for the final part of my review, the balancing. Modern Warfare 3 was promised to be the most balanced 'Call of Duty' game to date, and I have to disagree. Weapons do way to much damage and the map still cater too much to camping. The maps have bad flow which causes things to not go as you would want them to go. People can still spawn right behind you and stick a knife in your back, not something you want to happen in a multiplayer game.
  46. Nov 8, 2011
    The game is very similar to MW2. Which isn't necessarily all bad. Of course they're going to use the same mechanics, and try to produce the same game play. It works. It's fun. Yes, multiplayer is frustrating at times. But that's true of almost any game. Yes the graphics look exactly like MW2. but MW2 didn't have bad graphics. It's definitely not perfect. But its not nearly as terrible asThe game is very similar to MW2. Which isn't necessarily all bad. Of course they're going to use the same mechanics, and try to produce the same game play. It works. It's fun. Yes, multiplayer is frustrating at times. But that's true of almost any game. Yes the graphics look exactly like MW2. but MW2 didn't have bad graphics. It's definitely not perfect. But its not nearly as terrible as fanboys and bitter players are making it out to be. Expand
  47. Nov 8, 2011
    I stuck this review here in the yellow so it could hopefully not get lost in the mix, essentially i'm only here to comment on the fact that DICE and EA are clearly making hundreds of fake accounts to sabotage a game unfairly, this is poor business tactic and frankly shows desperation, but gamers tell it like it is 6 millions untis sold MW3, 1 millions units sold BF3, so the proof is in theI stuck this review here in the yellow so it could hopefully not get lost in the mix, essentially i'm only here to comment on the fact that DICE and EA are clearly making hundreds of fake accounts to sabotage a game unfairly, this is poor business tactic and frankly shows desperation, but gamers tell it like it is 6 millions untis sold MW3, 1 millions units sold BF3, so the proof is in the pudding, this is a great game with a fantastic multiplayer, don't buy into the fake reviewers because 99 percent have only reviewed this one game. This is my first review on metacritic and i did it because of the abhorrent behaviour of EA, what a bunch of skunk sucking bastards. Expand
  48. Nov 9, 2011
    I think Im done with the COD series. My biggest grip is the maps, after playing BF3 these maps feel like tiny mazes and there is no strategy except for run in circles and shoot. The single player is pretty good, I dont care what others are saying the graphics are excellent just like the previous titles but the guns sound like crap. MW 1 and 2 to me are two of the best games in history butI think Im done with the COD series. My biggest grip is the maps, after playing BF3 these maps feel like tiny mazes and there is no strategy except for run in circles and shoot. The single player is pretty good, I dont care what others are saying the graphics are excellent just like the previous titles but the guns sound like crap. MW 1 and 2 to me are two of the best games in history but 3 is not even close. The online maps are truly frustrating, I played for 4 hours and every map felt like I was constantly getting shot from behind.
    I noticed they still haven't found a cure for the lag problem too. Too many times I would go down with one shot to the body while I fired off 2 or 3. I dont know how they managed to make these maps so small but yet so confusing with no breaks, the previous games had a variety of wide open to close quarter combat, this one is all the same mess. I'm going back to BF3 tonight,, after playing both these titles back to back BF3 is hands down a better game. When I'm tired of BF3 I will go back to MW2 which was the last great game of the series.
  49. Nov 9, 2011
    ....and here is where I come in. I play Halo. The biggest difference between Halo and the Call of Duty series is, imo, Halo is more arcade and Call of Duty is more simulation. Have I played MWF3? Yes and it really is more of the same...imo. Another difference between the two is that my game doesn't ship EVERY YEAR, which may be why your game is more of the same. Here's an analogy...your....and here is where I come in. I play Halo. The biggest difference between Halo and the Call of Duty series is, imo, Halo is more arcade and Call of Duty is more simulation. Have I played MWF3? Yes and it really is more of the same...imo. Another difference between the two is that my game doesn't ship EVERY YEAR, which may be why your game is more of the same. Here's an analogy...your publisher and developers are just regular USDA Beef, while my publisher and developer is like Kobe Beef...finessed, well fed, groomed and NOT RUSHED TO THE TABLE! Expand
  50. Nov 9, 2011
    I have always enjoyed the Modern Warfare series. But even though it was clear that Infinity Ward was just making this to put a vacuum to our wallets again, I was still willing to look past that and enjoy this game. I knew I would be a little disappointed by the lack of graphical improvement, but to my surprise the thing that was most disappointing was the maps. I remember I always had myI have always enjoyed the Modern Warfare series. But even though it was clear that Infinity Ward was just making this to put a vacuum to our wallets again, I was still willing to look past that and enjoy this game. I knew I would be a little disappointed by the lack of graphical improvement, but to my surprise the thing that was most disappointing was the maps. I remember I always had my favorite maps in the other Modern Warfare entries, but playing this one I don't have that feeling of "Yes!!! I love this map!". I don't have a single map I look forward too. It seems like they designed by the team who made the black ops maps (which is obviously a negative comparison). The maps don't have that sense of balance that MW2 had, these maps almost encourage corner camping with their design. The gun play I really do enjoy, but what good is gun play when the map you are shooting your guns on is just a cluster f*%$ of poor level choke points, elevation, and poor spawning. I have had over 10 games where I have been spawn camped by the other team, had people spawn directly behind me or in front of me, or been spawned right by the guy who just killed me. I'm sure the spawning can be patched, but maps can't be. Not everything in the game is bad though, the guns, perks, and attachments are still enjoyable if a little stale. Expand
  51. Nov 9, 2011
    Single Player Campaign Review only:

Single Player Campaign Review only:

The Modern Warfare story arc was for me, very good. So I was eagerly awaiting the release of Modern Warfare 3 to see how the entire series would be wrapped up. I picked up my copy yesterday and prepared for a good 5 to 6 hours of game play. 3.5 hours later the campaign was over. While MW3 wraps up the story arc nicely it, the game was just way too short. The originality is gone. It seems that the departure of the key figureheads at Infinity Ward inspired panic throughout the company, and I am going to guess that also stalled development of MW3 for months. So what we get is a game that feels as though it was rushed out the door. The "oh **** we only have a year to get this game out of the door is evident in the game design. All of the ideas it seems from past iterations of the Call of Duty franchise's are used. There were times in the game that I got game play deja vu after slogging through the campaign. When that deja vu did come (and it happened quite often) I was thinking, "I have done this before in some other CoD game." Overall the Modern Warfare campaign wraps up nicely, the shooting is top notch, but I can't shake the feeling that paying $59.99 for a game with a 3.5 hour campaign was too much money.
  52. Nov 9, 2011
    Call of duty follows the if it aint broke don't fix it method,Although i found it fun i had many "i have seen this map before" thoughts. The story is predictable and the "explicit content" seems more like a unnecessary marketing ploy than a part of the story. the multiplayer progression is great and the co-op missions (especially the survival ones) keep me entertained. All in all its aCall of duty follows the if it aint broke don't fix it method,Although i found it fun i had many "i have seen this map before" thoughts. The story is predictable and the "explicit content" seems more like a unnecessary marketing ploy than a part of the story. the multiplayer progression is great and the co-op missions (especially the survival ones) keep me entertained. All in all its a game that you should pick up as a fan but doesnt really bring anything new to the table to set itself up as a top dog in shooter season 2011.
    +fun,addictive
    +easy to pick up and play
    ^not a severe learning curve
    -repetitive
    -old engine
    -predictable story
  53. Nov 9, 2011
    The game feels repetitive at times during campaign. The campaign feels boring most of the time. The guns are almost the same but there are some additions, like the XM25, which make the gameplay feel different. Online game modes are amazing. The maps, both online and offline, are average but improvements can be made. The game isn't worth the $55-$65. It's worth more like $45.
  54. Nov 9, 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me how people here score the game 0 - yet stay up all night playing it after going to the midnight launch. Seriously if you're that dedicated then you know all about the COD world and you know what to expect in this game. So just WHAT were you expecting?? Its COD - so there's going to be an over the top FPS campaign and a solid FPS multi-player. No?

So far I've

So far I've enjoyed the game (campaign and multi-player), yes it didn't wow me like the first MW did - but I'm not buying this game expecting a revolutionary experience - I'm buying this game expecting a solid all-round FPS and in that MW3 delivers. If you take away all the anti hype and (Battlefield?) fanboyism which is driving these low user scores - anyone would see - no one in their right mind could give this game a 0?? That's just crazy. I'd bet half of these negative reviews are the ones that have already prestiged a couple of times over and will be still playing online this time next year. Look at all the other AAA sequels and name me one that doesn't copy the core game play mechanics from the original (Halo, Gears, Bioshock, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls etc etc.....). A fair score for this game is 7-8. Yes COD is Activision's cash cow - if you have a problem with that then give Activision a 0.
  55. Nov 9, 2011
    Well, its fun and all, but it is more of the same that should have been an expansion pack and not a full retail game. What I dont understand is that (at the moment of writing this) the reviewers prais it for being the same, and then give low scores to gears 3 and uncharted 3 for being more of the same...
  56. Nov 9, 2011
    This game is getting too many bad reviews. Now I thought that I would be the last person to come to Call of Duty's aid, but here I am. I can easily name 5 people who claim to hate Call of Duty but still go out and buy every sequel that comes out, and that is why I'm here. Every one complains that it is more of the same, but that is a pattern that has continued for the last four years,This game is getting too many bad reviews. Now I thought that I would be the last person to come to Call of Duty's aid, but here I am. I can easily name 5 people who claim to hate Call of Duty but still go out and buy every sequel that comes out, and that is why I'm here. Every one complains that it is more of the same, but that is a pattern that has continued for the last four years, what would make anyone assume that this was any different. Most of the people who gave this game a zero probably still go home and play it every night, and that is what makes it so successful. While it introduces nothing new, the gameplay is still solid and manages to top the charts with each successive title. Nothing about this game deserves a zero. Expand
  57. Nov 9, 2011
    I just started the "Scorched Earth" part of the campaign. I am losing interest in the Call of Duty, Black Ops! I sold it... I have totally enjoyed the campaign, awesome. Visuals are crazy and the gameplay response is excellent. I played some online yesterday and thought the dog tags play was ok, I cannot comment on the rest but why can't this franchise create a multiplayer with the sameI just started the "Scorched Earth" part of the campaign. I am losing interest in the Call of Duty, Black Ops! I sold it... I have totally enjoyed the campaign, awesome. Visuals are crazy and the gameplay response is excellent. I played some online yesterday and thought the dog tags play was ok, I cannot comment on the rest but why can't this franchise create a multiplayer with the same fantastic affects the campaign has. And why did they quite using vehicles in the multiplayer after Call of Duty 2. I don't have any intentions of buying the game, I just rented it for a week. Next week I will start playing BF3, already bought it. Here's a thought, bigger maps, vehicles and use some maps that are in the campaign... awesome set pieces. I know guys who only buy for the multiplayer. Come on MW.... get with it. Too, bad really the campaign is awesome. Expand
  58. Nov 10, 2011
    I've buyed this game to see the end of the campaign and the survival co-op. The competitive multiplayer is the same of MW2 with some new maps, not a lot of differents killstreaks or perks and some new weapons. Not worth the 70â
  59. Nov 10, 2011
    I have been looking forward to this game for months but I am really disappointed. The multiplayer feels absolutely no different to the previous games and I am amazed critics have rated the game so highly and not seen through the hype about Elite and strike packages. After the days I have spent on MW and MW2, I wanted this to feel new and make me want to progress through the ranks again butI have been looking forward to this game for months but I am really disappointed. The multiplayer feels absolutely no different to the previous games and I am amazed critics have rated the game so highly and not seen through the hype about Elite and strike packages. After the days I have spent on MW and MW2, I wanted this to feel new and make me want to progress through the ranks again but there is nothing here that feels fresh or different enough to drive me to progress. The maps are just more of the same, they could have come out of either MW2 or Black Ops. I think the general sentiment that it feels like an expansion pack is absolutely right, as graphically and in design style it is so similar to the other games. Single player is the same hectic mess as ever. No idea what the story is about but the general mechanics of everything works like all the other COD games. On the higher difficulty levels the enemy AI is aggressive but hardly intelligent. It is difficult to not compare this game to battlefield 3 as they are competing for the same market share. For me BF3 has made enough of a jump from Bad Company to feel like a totally different game and worthy of my £40. Love it or hate it, the variation that BF3 offers in multiplayer through the use of scale, vehicles and equipment progression is just far superior and feels like a new experience (certainly for 360). To sum up, I am really disappointed that this franchise is not the genre defining game it once was. The maps are uninspired (Hardhat is one of the dullest multiplayer environments on 360) and the gameplay, levelling up and customisation is just far too similar to what we have all played and loved before. Expand
  60. Nov 10, 2011
    I believe that this is the best game in the MW series. I can't say anything on the single player due to the fact that I been on-line since I bought it home. In that is the problem. The new "social Network" Call of Duty Elite hasn't worked since they shut down the Beta test. That was the main thing I was looking forward too. In that regard I'm forced not to give this game a higherI believe that this is the best game in the MW series. I can't say anything on the single player due to the fact that I been on-line since I bought it home. In that is the problem. The new "social Network" Call of Duty Elite hasn't worked since they shut down the Beta test. That was the main thing I was looking forward too. In that regard I'm forced not to give this game a higher score. If a feature is pushed to the forefront of all the others and doesn't work there's a serious issue. The game scores a 9 with Elite up and running. Until then I must go with a 7. I beta tested Elite. It was awesome. Now I can't even log in Expand
  61. Nov 10, 2011
    I have been awaiting the arrival of MW3 for ages, and in my personal opinion I am really enjoying it, there are pros and cons to every game out there but I still believe the pros to this game outweigh the cons;

1: Campaign - Now I haven't played much of the single player being a fan of the multiplayer aspect. BUT from the offset the game has thrown you into a very visually impressive location, (despite the dated engine it is run on) they have made the best use of the tech they are using, the story mode has never been long and to be honest I quite like it as the story doesn't outstay its welcome. Although I would like a longer campaign to immerse myself into I'd be worried that Sledgehammer/Infinity Ward would be fluffing the campaign with un needed levels that would essentially bore a person, or leave them a little confused! Campaign = 5/10 - little short, but spectacular visuals (despite tech)

2: Spec Ops - ok I see where most people are coming from here, Zombies was fun very much enjoyed it especially with 3 of your mates joining in the amusement, Spec Ops Survival I feel is a little more focused, so does take away the "party" feel about it. but I personally prefer the focused team work and the joint need to work together to get to the next wave. the missions are fun and do test the players ability to work as a team. I'd have liked to have seen a little story to the mission modes rather than random scenarios but all in all a good way to waste time when there are only 2 of you online. again my personal opinion is that while Zombies it a great game, the Spec op Survival and missions allow a more focused team game and feels a little more "hardcore".

Spec Ops = 7/10 a fun focused team based game, feels like a game in its own right.

3: Multiplayer - I have lost MANY hours to MW2 and have enjoyed every second of it! MW3 should be no different. The maps are cleverly manufactered to allow for a more skirmish based gaming experience. I absolutely LOVE the idea of Support streaks that allow the not so amazing shooters to feel they are achieving something while playing! I like that they have kept the basic concept of levelling up from MW2 and that they have made prestiging a longer task. the only negative I can come up with at this time is that the game itself is not visually different, (nephew walks into room - "oh you are playing MW2" "No this is MW3" "Oh it looks the same" hmmm not a goo thing to hear really? bit like buying an iphone 4s. Great idea but they look exactly the same as the iphone 4... how is that going to show people that your phone is better than theirs if they look the same. Same as MW2 and MW3, an upgraded game which you can see when you are playing the game with the tweaks they have put into it. but as a spectator or someone walking past they wouldn't be able to tell this is a new game! other than that I love it. Love the maps and still have as always the COD bug

Multiplayer = 7/10 - Love the whole experience, but how can people walking into you room know you are better than them for owning the newest CODMW?
  62. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Modern Warfare 3 stands alone in what is the largest expansion pack ever released, and here is why that is so. (Minor, ever so Minor Spoilers) First the campaign - As many people know, Modern Warfare series has had some, short, but decent single player options, from the first time you **** your gun on the hull of the rocking ship in Call Of Duty 4 to the epic invasion of the USA by Russia in Modern Warfare 2. The Single Player has never disappointed in its cinematic offerings and didn't disappoint in MW3 with the Defense of New York being the set piece opener, but after this exciting opener, the single player fizzled out, maybe resurfacing this excitement at a few, extremely short set pieces. One with a Zero G fight in a plane crashing to the ground and a James Bond esque level in a Diamond Mine. The conclusion to the Makarov - Price story sees the campaign fall flat on its face. I found myself asking, "Is that it?" and also, the little attempt to conjure up some emotion does not deliver on what it should. With the gameplay having a good variation, from being on the ground running from a tank to being up in the air in a AC-130 but these sections last for a short while then end, leaving the fun at the last checkpoint. The orchestra of Hans Zimmer (a personal favorite of mine) seems to fit greatly, with music that harkens back to the first Transformer film but It is unfortunately dround by the gunfire and screaming, usually, I wouldn't get annoyed at this as, after all you are in a war zone, but the lack of an option to control the audio settings for Music, Effects and Speech left a bitter taste in my mouse. It seems infinity ward have taken out most of the user control. I'd give the campaign a 5 in comparaison with the other MW campaigns, and a 7 compared to most military shooter campaigns. After finishing the somewhat dull conclusion to a story arc I personally really enjoyed, I turned my attention to MULTIPLAYER, the main part of the Modern Warfare series.

Entering my first game, I picked my class, and was dropped straight into a match of Team Deathmatch.
    I immeadiatly found the multiplayer game to be exactly the same as MW2's. I shrugged this off, seeking some change which I found in the form of how the kill streaks have been turned into point streaks now, which allows all people to have an even chance of gaining a support, attack or special package. After a few games I found myself distraught, the spawning system is broken, I found myself at one point spawning in exactly the same place as I died and spawn killing is rife within the maps. The maps..
    The Maps are dull, and no overgrowns, no classic maps came out of the map rotor which I found depressing and the lack of large maps leans towards run and gun gameplay giving no chance for any snipers to have a chance. At least they took out stopping power and juggernaut. In Black Ops, I found myself enjoying the option of being able to create custom gamemodes, with myself creating a zombie game type with different types of zombies that could move slow, fast, have more health or less. I found you could do the same so I went to create the zombie game type all over again only to find Infinity Ward have taken out the ability to change class attributes! Its like Infinity Ward have taken everything Treyarch have done and removed it which is fair enough but when some of those things are good, why bother taking them out? I'd give the multiplayer a 6.
  63. Nov 10, 2011
    Same old, same old. Cant say I'm that disappointed because its exactly what I expected, more of the SAME! Its a solid enough game, but hardly inspiring! Don't agree with the zero scores, that's just ridiculous! Solid game, bit tired for me. Shame! 5 out of 10 for me at best on Xbox360.
  64. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare changed the way First Person Shooters were presented from then on. Then came Modern Warfare 2, a drastic overhaul to the gui and accessibility for newcomers while adding a huge amount of unlocks to make it a significant update. Unfortunantly for gamers, Modern Warfare 3 doesn't have the as much of update. This year's entry brings withit a new singleplayer campaign that raps up previous stories nicely, if antidramaticly. (I'd be impressed if someone playing the game felt bad for some of the characters dying) Multiplayer is still there, and better than ever. Unfortunantly, th8is year's entry brings with it no major overhaul, and no real reason to play it over MW2, Black Ops, or even Call of duty 4. Compared to the sea of other Triple A games coming out this season, there is little reason to pick "this year's" modern warfare over the competition. Expand
  65. Nov 10, 2011
    The Call Of Duty series is more like an addiction then just a video-game. This shows alot with Modern Warfare 3 when Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer have seemingly made "a new game" with as little effort as possible.

They've recycled multiple buildings and scenery from previous Call Of Duty-titles, and in the story mode they seem to have ran out of ideas re-using alot of the old ones, like running from gunfire over rooftops and whilst your teammates jump down onto a lower roof and keep on running, when you jump down there the roof collapses and you need to find another way.

It's unoriginal, and nothing more then what people could've expected... The multiplayer had some overhauling but not all that much.

7(.5) out of 10.0

It's good but i feel like they took too many shortcuts. Here's hoping Treyarch will do better with "Black Ops 2".
  66. Nov 10, 2011
    The new Kill Confirmed mode is a good addition, as is the updated spec ops mode. Negative points for nerfing the noob tube. The graphics definitely seem less cartoony than Black Ops did.
  67. Nov 10, 2011
    This is a fine example of why cross-threading series is a bad idea in a short span of time. When Modern Warfare 2 broke records and it's way into peoples hearts, it set the tone for the "high profile" release date for the series. I know many like myself were looking forward to the continuation of the Modern Warfare storyline, instead we were helped to a heaping mass of unrelated cold warThis is a fine example of why cross-threading series is a bad idea in a short span of time. When Modern Warfare 2 broke records and it's way into peoples hearts, it set the tone for the "high profile" release date for the series. I know many like myself were looking forward to the continuation of the Modern Warfare storyline, instead we were helped to a heaping mass of unrelated cold war era warfare. Black Op's success was related DIRECTLY to the success of modern warfare. People did not simply say they were playing Black Ops, but they were saying that they were playing a Call Of Duty game. Activision had a golden ticket to use with the same engine and they used it on Black Ops. On the heels of a reinvigorated Battlefield 3 with the new frostbite engine, Activision had NO choice but to do some re-invention of their own or face being shadowed by the new "Oohs and Ahhs". The single player campaign is still worthy of a Hollywood award and although the soundtrack falls a bit flat compared to Warfare 2's masterpiece, it still works to add emotion.

Modern Warfare 3 is a gem that could have made an impact had it come before Black Op's however with new pretty engines coming out for most newer offerings this year many people find it difficult to enjoy the game as much they did Black Ops.

Until the team develops a new way to show off the franchise, it is no longer the king of the genre.

I'd hate to say it but if they plan on continuing their annual release schedule they are going to definitely need to develop a new engine that rivals the frostbite or this could spell the end of the trendy age of Call Of Duty..
  68. Nov 10, 2011
    What happened to enjoying a game for the single player experience and the story?

MW3 STILL has the most involved and mind-blowing single player. BF3 (which MW3 is being compared with) has one of the most disappointing single player experiences I've eve had. I appreciate the game designers and producers actually put time in to the single player experience. Great job, yet again! That

That being said, the multiplayer has much left to be desired. The maps are tiny and full of NoobTubers. Levels are setup for massive sniping kills (which is fine if you snipe, MOST players don't) and game modes are not impressive.

I don't think it's fair to expect a "whole new gaming experience" from the Modern Warfare series. It's still a Call of Duty game. Why does every expect it to be so different all of a sudden? If you liked MW2, you'll have fun with this game.
  69. Nov 10, 2011
    Many improvements over MW2. Leaps and bounds ahead of shooters in the past.
  70. Nov 10, 2011
    This is a game that is not bad but not as good as Call of Duty Black Ops. One reason is the amount of content. Black Ops has tons of content to be content with and with its value while MW3 has little to none extra content unlike what the other company did. Also, the graphics still looks bare bones yet runs really fast which is a sacrifice that is starting so show laziness in the developer.This is a game that is not bad but not as good as Call of Duty Black Ops. One reason is the amount of content. Black Ops has tons of content to be content with and with its value while MW3 has little to none extra content unlike what the other company did. Also, the graphics still looks bare bones yet runs really fast which is a sacrifice that is starting so show laziness in the developer. But, it still retains a good campaign which is better than BF3 and nice multiplayer. Overall it is the same with less sadly. Expand
  71. Nov 10, 2011
    This does not live up to the hype it should it is sad that such a series as Call of duty its self should go down the toilet this long running series of FPS has finally finished its course. There has a been a Call of Duty game annually since 2005 nonetheless its online multiplayer is repetitive and very much like its predecessors although fun but still repetitive nothing new. Basically whatThis does not live up to the hype it should it is sad that such a series as Call of duty its self should go down the toilet this long running series of FPS has finally finished its course. There has a been a Call of Duty game annually since 2005 nonetheless its online multiplayer is repetitive and very much like its predecessors although fun but still repetitive nothing new. Basically what you have here is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.5 so pretty much you already played it and bought it Modern Warfare 2 was were the line ended for Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 was really good. Activision is suckering twelve year old kids into thinking this is something new well no its not just new guns and new HUD samething with Black ops this series is dead. The only reason i'm giving this game a 7 is because I have to admit its good ol' Call of Duty but other than that this game series is done. Expand
  72. Nov 10, 2011
    I was honestly looking forward to this game, me and my friends even had a release party where we spent all night and the better part of Tuesday morning playing Modern Warfare 3. First thing I did was complete the campaign. I think I liked this third installment actually better than the first two, it seemed to make the most sense and seemed the most reasonable out of each part of theI was honestly looking forward to this game, me and my friends even had a release party where we spent all night and the better part of Tuesday morning playing Modern Warfare 3. First thing I did was complete the campaign. I think I liked this third installment actually better than the first two, it seemed to make the most sense and seemed the most reasonable out of each part of the trilogy. After that I moved on to multiplayer, where most of my disappointments where found. Graphically it's almost identical to MW2. Sure there's been some improvements, but there's nothing to write home about. Very disappointed that they couldn't upgrade the graphics engine more. Game play mechanics also feel very much the same as MW2, and while the saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke" may very well apply here, I don't think any game studio striving to have the best title in it's genre should not strive to keep pushing the envelope and continue to experiment with out-of-the-box ideas. There where only a couple new additions to the multiplayer experience that I liked, which include the new killstreak 'modes' (personally love setting it as Support). Survival mode is also a nice touch, but since just about every FPS has it nowadays it isn't that surprising.

Overall, I don't feel like Modern Warfare 3 is a new game, just something recycled and slapped with a shiny new title. Sure, I'll play it every once in a while, but it's not a game that I'm going to be trying to rush home to play every day. It's a shame to see Infinity Ward let themselves release this game, I know they can do better.
  73. Nov 10, 2011
    After three days of playing the game and letting all the hype settle, my "official" review gives MW3 a solid 7, just below BF3 getting an 8.5. While other sites will give MW3 a 8-9.5 out of 10 they review the game based on if you were new to the Call of Duty franchise, but if you've been into the franchise for a while and you load load up MW3 you can't help but have a thought in the backAfter three days of playing the game and letting all the hype settle, my "official" review gives MW3 a solid 7, just below BF3 getting an 8.5. While other sites will give MW3 a 8-9.5 out of 10 they review the game based on if you were new to the Call of Duty franchise, but if you've been into the franchise for a while and you load load up MW3 you can't help but have a thought in the back of your head constantly saying I've played this game for the past 4 years. Expand
  74. Nov 10, 2011
    In my opinion, a game that works should get an automatic 5. If it's enjoyable, a 6-8. If groundbreaking and never seen before, a 9 or 10. This game has a bit of all 3. It works, and it should... its the same engine since COD4. As the developer said, the engine's code is spotless because it has been refined so much. This is both good and bad. Good because the engine is as its peakIn my opinion, a game that works should get an automatic 5. If it's enjoyable, a 6-8. If groundbreaking and never seen before, a 9 or 10. This game has a bit of all 3. It works, and it should... its the same engine since COD4. As the developer said, the engine's code is spotless because it has been refined so much. This is both good and bad. Good because the engine is as its peak performance, bad because its the same engine.

The game gets a 7 in my opinion because the campaign is enjoyable. It, in my opinion is the best of the "trilogy". I played through on Hardened and had to play through again on Veteran. It was an awesome, cinematic, action packed campaign. Short, though.

The multiplayer is the same old stuff, though. It really is. People are within their rights to refer to it as MW2.5 when it comes to the multiplayer. It's time to take a leap in some other direction IW/Treyarch!

You'd think with all the money this franchise brings in (9.3 million first day sales) that they could throw a few dedicated servers our way. As long as someone with basic Internet (I'm looking at you DSL for 19.99/mo) can host a match, the obvious issues will never go away.

So that's it from me. The game works, the campaign is well worth the (short) time. The multiplayer might as well be any of the last few Call of Duty games.

75. Nov 11, 2011
    They milked the series for everything its worth. Time to start over from scratch. Only bought it because its slightly addictive to play with friends. But honestly its the same ole sh*t.
  76. Nov 11, 2011
    To be honest, it doesn't matter how good this game is, it'll sell.

This is because there are certain things this game does very well, the campaign is a giant Michael Bay movie and the multiplayer really is the same thing you've been playing since COD4, but that's really not such a bad thing. There is an entire category of gamers that fall under the twitchy trigger finger shooter
    To be honest, it doesn't matter how good this game is, it'll sell.

There is an entire category of gamers that fall under the twitchy trigger finger shooter category, you show them a different game and they will want nothing to do with it. COD is all they want, and for this kind of person this game is probably a wise choice.

The campaign is fun, the multiplayer I really have lost intrest in. It seems harsh, but it's true, I poured many hours into COD4s and MW2s mutliplayers, I thought they were both great games. Black Ops got boring too fast, but that's not because it wasn't a good game, it was just the same old stuff. MW3, as a multiplayer game has lost my intrest, to be fair the entire COD franchise as a multiplayer series has lost my intrest since I started playing BC2.

I've not yet brought BF3 so I really can't compare yet, but I would reccomend this game if you are a cod fan. For anyone else, maybe, take your pick.
  77. Nov 11, 2011
    Ive owned the last 4 COD's and was hesitant to purchase this one with the mixed reviews. Overall I don't think its worth the money as is feels like a extra map pack add-on to MW2. Yes there are a few changes but the short-cuts taken are obvious. Overall it is still a very fun game to play on multilayer and im sure ill still be playing it a year from now just like black ops and MW2.
  78. Baz
    Nov 11, 2011
    I know its a bit disappointing the game isnt too different from mw2, but multiplayer is still great fun and much more balanced, enough to set itself from mw2 - why would all you people give it a 1 or a 0 just because the innovation wasnt great it is still a well polished game and looking on a fun factor its not that bad at least give it a 4 - 6 rating if your so disappointed just be a bitI know its a bit disappointing the game isnt too different from mw2, but multiplayer is still great fun and much more balanced, enough to set itself from mw2 - why would all you people give it a 1 or a 0 just because the innovation wasnt great it is still a well polished game and looking on a fun factor its not that bad at least give it a 4 - 6 rating if your so disappointed just be a bit more fair all your ratings are basically about the games innovation - check the games with the least points for CRITIC review, how can mw3 be as bad as those? forget about mw2 and enjoy its sequel Expand
  79. Nov 11, 2011
    It is so disappointing to see how certain games do not innovate or do anything new these days. The first modern warfare was amazing compared to any other first person shooter when it first came out. And then after that they didn't do anything new except add new weapons in and thats pretty much it. You have to change things up and video games these days just aren't doing it. Mainly itIt is so disappointing to see how certain games do not innovate or do anything new these days. The first modern warfare was amazing compared to any other first person shooter when it first came out. And then after that they didn't do anything new except add new weapons in and thats pretty much it. You have to change things up and video games these days just aren't doing it. Mainly it is because of all the people out there, they keep on buying these games and as long as these games are selling like crazy they won't innovate, but these critics have to start reviewing these games a lot better. These COD games are all the same and they still get good reviews. I will never buy a COD game until they actually do something new and change some stuff up. Expand
  80. Nov 11, 2011
    I liked MW2 and Black Ops but this game has been catered to casual gamers to such an extent that it is no longer enjoyable. The Campaign is fine, it's actually way better than Battlefield 3 because BF3 was a joke. The multiplayer is where this game in my opinion is crap. Maps are small. Weapons arent great. Aim assist is a joke. They don't even have to have their iron sights on youI liked MW2 and Black Ops but this game has been catered to casual gamers to such an extent that it is no longer enjoyable. The Campaign is fine, it's actually way better than Battlefield 3 because BF3 was a joke. The multiplayer is where this game in my opinion is crap. Maps are small. Weapons arent great. Aim assist is a joke. They don't even have to have their iron sights on you to hit you. It's crap all around. You deserve your low user reviews Activision. Just like EA, the fall of great gaming is at hand with these publishers. Expand
  81. Nov 12, 2011
    At first glance you would think treyarch made it looking at the graphics. It is completely different then 1 & 2 and very similar to blackops. Overall it's an enjoyable game. I think your either really good at it or really bad. I'm glad I'm on the good side! I'm hoping mw2 will go back to the more realistic graphic approach then the cartoonish aproach they took in black ops and mw3. I lovedAt first glance you would think treyarch made it looking at the graphics. It is completely different then 1 & 2 and very similar to blackops. Overall it's an enjoyable game. I think your either really good at it or really bad. I'm glad I'm on the good side! I'm hoping mw2 will go back to the more realistic graphic approach then the cartoonish aproach they took in black ops and mw3. I loved mw2 and this is starting to grow on me, the graphics have me a little rattled though... Expand
  82. Nov 12, 2011
    Firstly I Have been a fan of call of duty since cod 3 and seeing the innovation in call of duty 4 Blew me away ! Both the story and multiplayer had so much work put into them
    Then Modern warfare 2 came out and its graphics were improved with more guns killstreaks perks attachments and a great campaign Having played Modern warfare 3 I failed to see the same work which infinity ward has put into there games previously, although it may have a great campaign the graphics do not look improved and looking at the multiplayer they seem to have just taken the best things from both Cod 4 and MW2 (and Black ops)renamed some perks and some new maps . Now i like the game because it has that because both those games are great but comparing it to the work that they put into there other games its a joke.Also spec ops and survival is great but gets boring with just two players after a while.
    I'm giving it a 7/10 because it has a good campaign with a solid multiplayer however lacks the fresh feeling of the previous Modern warfare games
  83. Nov 12, 2011
    I remember when people used to have there own opinions vs. this collective domino effect of COD haters... if it weren't for the internet and your fellow Occupy Wall Street lay abouts, all of you would have no choice but to form your own opinions. Is this game, the Game of the Year? By no means...Batman Arkham Asylum is the Game to beat, and ES Skyrims sounds very promising. Do II remember when people used to have there own opinions vs. this collective domino effect of COD haters... if it weren't for the internet and your fellow Occupy Wall Street lay abouts, all of you would have no choice but to form your own opinions. Is this game, the Game of the Year? By no means...Batman Arkham Asylum is the Game to beat, and ES Skyrims sounds very promising. Do I care about the Campaign Mode, no...never have? Its filler for a Friday night when I am tired of listening to Emo 15 year olds ramble & whine through my ear phones as I plaster with my SCAR. Multiplayer is solid, I have enjoyed the new maps, especially enjoy playing Kill Confirmed. I am very disappointed with the ELITE. I went Premium, I am paying for a service, I expect to get what I paid for. Activision needs to prioritize paying members like me over free accounts. In the end, taxed servers, 350 people in line in the cold at midnite, and 6.5 million copies of a game does not = ratings less then 5 or above... MW3 is the game that is going to finance the next evolution of the game that will blow your mind on the XBOX 720. But thats cool, dont buy the next one. I will be happy to be number one in line, and walk out of the store at 12:05 with my copy. So I rate the game as follows: Campaign Mode 5 , Multi Player 8, Spec Ops 6, Maps 9, Overall I give the Game a 7. Hopefully the ELITE mode will allow me to connect with some "adults". Expand
  84. Nov 12, 2011
    I didn't really get a chance to play MW2, but my roommates got me hooked on Black Ops, and I thought it was amazing. MW3, however, is a step back First, finding matches in multiplayer takes forever compared to any online video game out there. I know Black Ops was a little slow in the beginning and it sped up over a couple months, but the alternation between multiplayer developers showsI didn't really get a chance to play MW2, but my roommates got me hooked on Black Ops, and I thought it was amazing. MW3, however, is a step back First, finding matches in multiplayer takes forever compared to any online video game out there. I know Black Ops was a little slow in the beginning and it sped up over a couple months, but the alternation between multiplayer developers shows that they are unwilling to share their experiences with each other to help the franchise evolve. The maps don't vary in size at all like Black Ops did and they seem a bit small. The spawning points in the multiplayer are erratic and I usually end up dying within two seconds of respawning once or twice a match. The map size also contributes to dying immediately after a kill because of how close the next enemy is. I have never played a Battlefield game before, but I might since MW3 has seemed to be a bust. The reason for a mediocre score is because the game has potential and can be updated to fix all of the flaws, but it will take a miracle to turn this game into a 10/10. I highly suggest to anybody thinking about buying this game to hold off for a month or two when they finish fixing all the bugs they decide to fix. Expand
  85. Nov 13, 2011
    I only played this game for 2 days, but I can agree fully with some people here. MW3 would be more of an add-on than a full game. There are no innovations in terms of gameplay, the layout resembles Black Ops and one cannot play well the game in a calm and tactical way. Still very fast and arcade, good to spend some time, but unworthy of more than 7 points.
  86. Nov 13, 2011
    In my opinion MW3 is the MW2 everyone wanted, I'm glad to see infinity ward fixed most the problems from the previous game but considering the way the game looks and plays it seems that the game is just an add on to MW2. New maps, a couple of new game modes, and survival mode are the only new things it has to offer. None of the maps are really mind blowing either. Kill confrimed is aIn my opinion MW3 is the MW2 everyone wanted, I'm glad to see infinity ward fixed most the problems from the previous game but considering the way the game looks and plays it seems that the game is just an add on to MW2. New maps, a couple of new game modes, and survival mode are the only new things it has to offer. None of the maps are really mind blowing either. Kill confrimed is a pretty cool game mode I must admit but it can be annoying as **** sometimes too. Then there's survival mode which actually suprised me and is probably the best part of the game. I'm just hoping that the MW series is finished and cod can release a new game that is unlike any of their past 5. Expand
  87. Nov 13, 2011
    I'll get it out of the way early - I'm a massive Battlefield fan, but hopefully people will find this to be an unbiased review - I'm trying to be as fair as I can. I've enjoyed Call of Duty since I first played COD2 on the 360 all those years ago. For me personally, after COD4, the series has gone downhill for me - a lack of new innovative features and tiring gameplay meant I had veryI'll get it out of the way early - I'm a massive Battlefield fan, but hopefully people will find this to be an unbiased review - I'm trying to be as fair as I can. I've enjoyed Call of Duty since I first played COD2 on the 360 all those years ago. For me personally, after COD4, the series has gone downhill for me - a lack of new innovative features and tiring gameplay meant I had very little expectations for MW3.

The game itself is a mixed bag - if you're a massive COD fan, you've already made your mind up or already have this game. If you're not a COD fan, this won't change your mind about it. MW3 does very little different when compared to previous versions (a couple of new multiplayer modes and "revamped" killstreaks aren't enough) but I suppose it doesn't need to based on the popularity of the series, especially with the casual gaming crowd. However, the single player campaign is definitely one of the strongest in recent years, probably since the original MW. It has plenty going on, massive set pieces and a solid enough story with a couple of twists. There's very little downtime in the campaign, giving it a very exhilarating feel. It's as polished as ever and has the production values of a big summer blockbuster. For those who care, it easily trumps BF3's campaign.

Multiplayer was the big disappointment for me, and the reason I'm trading it in. There's nothing new introduced into multiplayer, aside from previously mentioned killstreaks and modes. And for me personally, I find the maps to be quite poor, no real memorable ones that stick in the mind. If you love COD multiplayer, then there's no doubt this is more of the same goodness. If you're not, or if you're tiring of it (as I am) then it isn't going to help you change your mind regarding it.

Overall, it's a solid game but fails to add anything new to it, which is a major downside. Plenty of user reviews have slated it for this, giving it 0 out of 10 etc, which to be honest I think is harsh. It's not the masterpiece that so many publications have described it as but at the same time, it's definitely not the abomination that so many users believe it to be.
  88. Nov 23, 2011
    lets me start off by saying that ive been playing the call of duty games since cod 4... i am a huge fan of the series, but theres something about this game that gets to me. first the campaign, tho its short like all cod games, it still had a cool fictional story to it, never disappointing with that. next is the co-op, survival mode is pretty cool when i started to play it. but like anylets me start off by saying that ive been playing the call of duty games since cod 4... i am a huge fan of the series, but theres something about this game that gets to me. first the campaign, tho its short like all cod games, it still had a cool fictional story to it, never disappointing with that. next is the co-op, survival mode is pretty cool when i started to play it. but like any other endless wave based game, it gets old after awhile. but it is cool to switch up from mp... which brings me to the last part..... the multiplayer... like i stated before.. ive played the previous games, and got pretty far in most, if not completing all of the prestiges.. but there is something about this one.. first, it kinda feels like a glorified map pack, with new guns. ive always liked the (iw) infinity ward games better than the treyarch ones, but i feel that a lot of things that they made a step foward in black ops with, they took a step back with mw3.. now i here a lot of talk about the engines that are used for these games, yes it is starting to get a little outdated and if cod wants to stay up in the rankings in fps... they need to make some adjustment. back to mw3... i play both hardcore and core, mostly hardcore.. and i feel this hit marker system is a little off.. i shouldnt need 2 full 3 round bursts of a m16 to kill somebody. the lag in this game is kinda bad, i run around a corner and then die from behind me, i spray at a guy and somehow he runs thru my bullets and then shoots me.. its so aggravating... the spawn system, like always, i kinda bad... while playing team defender, i have the flag and is being protected by two fellow teammates in a building... and you wouldnt believe what happens next, THEY SPAWN LITERALLY RIGHT BEHIND ME. i love cod but i feel they need to step something up with the next one, or step down.. activision is known to drag out titles until they die...(tony hawk and guitar hero series) lets hope that they can do something about it. overall the game is ok... i know they couldve made this game so much better.. idk if it was this sledgehammer games company? or this new iw company... but something needs to change... Expand
  89. Nov 14, 2011
    Honestly guys, this game looks, feels, handles and plays nothing like MW2. I wish it did. This thing looks, feels handles and plays like a load f of s**t. Disappointed.
  90. Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't buy this game, and I'm sure I on't buy it. I played at a friends house for extended playtime and found that while the gameplay and mechanics were fluid, it felt recycled. I found the most redeeming portions of the game to be in Single Player and "Survival" modes. These for me offered the most that I got out of this package. The multiplayer felt fluid, but all too familiar. ForI didn't buy this game, and I'm sure I on't buy it. I played at a friends house for extended playtime and found that while the gameplay and mechanics were fluid, it felt recycled. I found the most redeeming portions of the game to be in Single Player and "Survival" modes. These for me offered the most that I got out of this package. The multiplayer felt fluid, but all too familiar. For these reasons I just don't see myself purchasing it. Expand
  91. Nov 14, 2011
    I guess the problem that I have with Call of Duty MW3 is that the developers had a chance to create a truly great game. I mean all they had to do was build on an already great foundation with Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty MW2. But instead they chose to play it safe and only tweak a few things here and there, which in the end amounted to a hole lot of nothing. I've said you can tell thatI guess the problem that I have with Call of Duty MW3 is that the developers had a chance to create a truly great game. I mean all they had to do was build on an already great foundation with Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty MW2. But instead they chose to play it safe and only tweak a few things here and there, which in the end amounted to a hole lot of nothing. I've said you can tell that someone else made this game and that's 100% true. I doubt Activation will say that Vince Zampella and Jason West (the creators of the franchise) played that big of a part in the success of the Call of Duty but when you fire them and 40 other employees quit because of that. Out of a studio that had around 50 employees in it to begin with, that doesn't leave a lot of people left that helped create the great Call of Duty's of past. Then Activation thought that after rebuilding Infinity Ward and adding the a brand new studio in which they just created called Sledgehammer games, to finish what the original Infinity Ward started would be ok. No it wasn't and shame on them for thinking it was. Now I don't hate COD MW3 but its defiantly not my first choice when it comes to game that I own. Expand
  92. Nov 14, 2011
    This is essentially CoD Black Ops with a different storyline. It plays smooth and the single player experience goes from one "over the top" moment to another. However, that is pretty much all it has going for it. Gaming atmosphere is ok. Story is pretty bad. Graphics are average and pretty bad in comparison to BF3. Not sure how the magazines are doing their reviews if they don't see that.This is essentially CoD Black Ops with a different storyline. It plays smooth and the single player experience goes from one "over the top" moment to another. However, that is pretty much all it has going for it. Gaming atmosphere is ok. Story is pretty bad. Graphics are average and pretty bad in comparison to BF3. Not sure how the magazines are doing their reviews if they don't see that. On the technical side MW3 is far behind BF3. I especially like BF3's environment damage, but they also make good use of elements like smoke and light to add new tactical options. Multiplayer has turned into a circus for players not meeting the age requirement of MW3. Expand
  93. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lo compre y no me arrepiento, por que aunque sea igual.....pero igual parece hecho hace años y apenas lo sacaron,,,,, el añadido de las operaciones especiales y la pantalla dividida lo paga todo..... ya ningun juego viene asi, lastima que NO tenga absolutamente nada nuevo y mejor aparte de eso.... Expand
  94. Nov 14, 2011
    muy buen juego es accion de cabo a rabo pero en lo q tiene q ver en los graficos no mejora mucho pero es mejor una buenas historia q te atrapa q los graficos mas bonitos pero con una historia aburrida
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    The biggest disappointment I found when I opened up MW3 and popped in the disc, was its immediate similarity to MW2, the previous title in the Modern Warfare Series. The game runs on the EXACT SAME engine, with no improvements graphically or mechanically. With this said, the game quickly received criticism, being referred to as â
  96. Nov 16, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3 a game that seem to not be able to live up to the reputation it deserves, Having played MW3 you can't help but feel the lack of innovation from the game, the campaign is the major highlight of the game a good quality with brilliant explosive moments that you come to expect from the cod franchise and wraps up all the event from the previous Modern warfare games, tho theModern Warfare 3 a game that seem to not be able to live up to the reputation it deserves, Having played MW3 you can't help but feel the lack of innovation from the game, the campaign is the major highlight of the game a good quality with brilliant explosive moments that you come to expect from the cod franchise and wraps up all the event from the previous Modern warfare games, tho the campaign is short lived as it only takes 6 hours to complete on the hardened difficulty, the graphic of MW3 are nothing special as they are still using the game engine from Modern Warfare so it all feels a bit dated compared to the likes of Battlefield 3 who are really pushing forward with innovations in graphics and game play, Multiplayer is the major disappointment in Mw3 the game has multiple glitches, the maps feel very small, cluttered and rushed compared to the maps that were on black ops, despite claims that Mw3 had been developed to stop people camping the game seems to have gone the other way and now there are more ways to camp than in any previous call of duty games, the spawning system is a complete mess as you spawn right into a squad of enemy player or right if front of an enemy and get gunned downed before you can even move this should have been sorted out after the same problem appeared in black ops, some of the weapons are way over powered, Hit detection is a glitchy you can fire away at an enemy right if front of and not register a single hit evn tho you are at near point blank range, the melee attack means knifing thin air can get you a kill or you can leap 5 feet and kill and enemy as if by magic, Spec Ops is back and it's not half bad with the same ranking system as multiplayer ( tho it's separate from the multiplayer ranking system) the more you play it the more you unlock in weapons and other goodies, tho the survival mode could have been better compared to the zombie mode you got in world at war and black ops as only 2 player can co-op over waves of enemies this could easily have been improved if they had made it four play like the zombie modes in the games I've just said. Overall I can't help but feel that this game should have been held off for a year giving the people developing this game more time to improve and innovate the game and breath new life in to the modern warfare franchise and ment that you don't feel your playing the same old game with just a different story. Expand
  97. Nov 16, 2011
    the single player and spec ops of this game is fantastic and that receives 5/5 for offline content and cooperative. the special ops is new and fun with a range of unlocks and slick gameplay that can be thoroughly enjoyed and spent many hours playing. the campaign is the typical huge scale explosions and bloody battles that we have come to expect from the modern warfare games and it doesthe single player and spec ops of this game is fantastic and that receives 5/5 for offline content and cooperative. the special ops is new and fun with a range of unlocks and slick gameplay that can be thoroughly enjoyed and spent many hours playing. the campaign is the typical huge scale explosions and bloody battles that we have come to expect from the modern warfare games and it does not disappoint. where this game does let me down is the multiplayer. as a cod fan from cod4 all the way until now only mw2 slightly compares to the fun factor that call of duty 4 provided. there is significant problems with hit detection and lag unlike the other big shooters that have come out this year, namely battlefield, gears of war and resistance. the game feels old and tired as the same rinse and repeat gameplay has been used. unfortunately in opinion this game is an enourmous jump ahead of blackops. this game has been hyped way out of proportion and does not deliver. not too mention that elite still is not working meaning hundreds of thousands of people have given activision an extra 50 dollars for nothing Expand
  98. Nov 17, 2011
    If someone ranks this game as a zero, they are not giving this game a fair shake. The game is very good on its own merit. The revamped multiplayer is a ton of fun. It took a bit of getting used to but its fun once you grasp the nuances. The campaign is nothing to get excited about. It goes through the paces, stuff happens, and I wasn't thrilled. The problem is nothing is too fresh in theIf someone ranks this game as a zero, they are not giving this game a fair shake. The game is very good on its own merit. The revamped multiplayer is a ton of fun. It took a bit of getting used to but its fun once you grasp the nuances. The campaign is nothing to get excited about. It goes through the paces, stuff happens, and I wasn't thrilled. The problem is nothing is too fresh in the campaign and a lot of the game feels the same. I am not entirely sure what they could have added or changed but either way they didn't do a ton. I feel like there should have been much more. That being said, the reworked multiplayer is a blast, especially with the new killstreak system that appeals to both hardcore and casual players alike. I love it. The Kill Confirmed Mode is a blast. Weapon leveling is pretty cool. Haven't tried everything yet but so far multiplayer has impressed. Has not wowed me though. If you really liked Modern Warfare 2 and aren't thrilled with anything else out there right now, then I would say go with Modern Warfare 3. If you want to do something really different, go with Battlefield 3 (Haven't played it myself but it has gotten good reviews and I am fan of the series). Modern Warfare 3, some cool new stuff, exciting, new game. Would have given it a 8.5 otherwise. I am docking 1.5 points for the campaign, but docking another 1.5 for the fact that I played a lot of this game before and with 2 years in the making, I should have been wowed, not just impressed. Expand
  99. Nov 17, 2011
    Over hyped.... Mainstream.... Commercial.... Definitely not worth the price, I feel like Iv'e been ripped off. Better off with Crysis 2, Rage, or even Homefront!! in my opinion Call of duty died after No 4 ( the best one) So keep away from this waste of money and go buy a decent game that is not going to rip you off.
  100. Nov 17, 2011
    This game does not deserve the low scores. Sure the formula is a bit stale now. But if you forget about the 4 games that came before it and score it on its own merits it's actually a good game. The Single player campaign can keep you going for a go for about 7 hours if you jump straight in on veteran and go for 100.3% in one play through (it seems Infinity Ward Sacked the person that didThis game does not deserve the low scores. Sure the formula is a bit stale now. But if you forget about the 4 games that came before it and score it on its own merits it's actually a good game. The Single player campaign can keep you going for a go for about 7 hours if you jump straight in on veteran and go for 100.3% in one play through (it seems Infinity Ward Sacked the person that did the Maths). Then there is the Spec Ops with Mission Mode AND IW's take on Zombies with Survival Mode to keep even the most hardcore gamer happy for days on end. The Missions are longer than MW2 and this time around can be played with anyone online, Not just friends.
    You cant review a Call of Duty game without escaping the Quickscoping and Camp fest that is Multiplayer.
    Straight away you can tell it has had more love and attention than Single player and Spec Ops but has it payed off....
    No it hasn't to be honest. A lot of the guns seem under powered and those EVIL Quickscopers are still there with their stupid ways of getting easy kills. My biggest gripe with MW3 MP is the game modes like One in a Chamber, Gun Game and Infection are for PRIVATE MATCH ONLY. Which is a shame because if Black Ops had one thing over MW2 (Apart from Zombies) was the different types of game modes available to play with people all over the world.
    Sure the engine feels outdated and Elite is Broke. But if you want to know how WW3 ends you need this game.....
  101. Nov 10, 2011
    Sorry, but it's already become more than evident that this game is literally a repainted Modern Warfare 2, now with a subscription fee. Players are finding the exact same buildings and locations copy and pasted from the last game and it's ridiculous. Gamers are not going to tolerate this garbage, and if companies want to still be around next generation they better start putting effort intoSorry, but it's already become more than evident that this game is literally a repainted Modern Warfare 2, now with a subscription fee. Players are finding the exact same buildings and locations copy and pasted from the last game and it's ridiculous. Gamers are not going to tolerate this garbage, and if companies want to still be around next generation they better start putting effort into their games again. Don't like getting bad fan reviews? Then stop repackaging the same game and expecting us to pay $60 for it, you scammers. Collapse

1. Jan 11, 2012
    Ultimately, Modern Warfare 3 feels similar to it's brethren, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game. The single player element is still exciting, and multiplayer has more options than ever – if you're a fan of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3 is a no brainer.
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3, while still an excellent thrill ride in its own right, feels far too similar to MW2 or even Black Ops for my taste.
  3. I never expected Modern Warfare 3 to go toe-to-toe with EA's juggernaut this year, but it came out of the gates with a tour de force campaign and co-op mode. It loses points with a perhaps too-familiar multiplayer that caters to the juvenile on Xbox Live; though don't be mistaken, Modern Warfare 3 is one hell of a shooter and a highlight for a series that just won't die – no matter how much we wish it bloody would, at times.