3.3

1. Nov 8, 2011
    The game is decent give it what it deserves it is not fantastic and it is not terrible. It is the same as the last game with some new spec ops missions. Oh by the way salemshaikh Battlefield 3 fans are not going to leave for this over hyped game. A game should be able to stand alone on its single player which neither games could do. So what I am trying to say ineffectively is that both games were disappointments to me. Both games get a six in my book. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    A disappointment on all levels. Same as MW2. Nothing new will be added to this series. The developers are mediocre at best. There is no more creativity from these people.
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    My Prev review should have been a 5, this will balance it out

This game is just like Madden series as of late, the game isn't bad, and it's pretty fun, but it plays just like the previous releases. Now that's not a bad thing, but when the other guy (BF3) comes out and makes a big splash with much improved graphics, large detailed maps, jets, tanks, helicopters etc... and you come out with
    the same old same old... your not going to get any new customers, what you end up doing is losing some. This game will sell well because of who it is, but the tides are changing, if anything this game has been really looking forward to the next Call of Duty game, I think BF3 might have pulled one over on them. I'mt I'm sure they will come back with something that actually is new and improved, but until then we have this to play, which isn't a bad thing, it just isn't anything special, new, or different then the previous versions... the core game is no different, which just doesn't cut it this year. Expand
  4. Nov 8, 2011
    It's MW2 with worse graphics, smaller/crappier maps, and the speed turned up a few notches. For little kids hopped up on mountain dew to run around and die (with no respawn timer) while screaming profanities. It sucks.
  5. Nov 8, 2011
    There was a time when I was a hardcore COD fan. Back when it was still a WWII game, and dwarfed by EA's Medal of Honor series. But I still loved that game, because it was new, refreshing, and overall a much better game than MOH. And even ignoring the at best average COD:3, I still loved the series, and loved it even more when they dropped COD:4. Sure I was still playing BF2, but there was nothing like Modern Warfare, and in many ways it was better than BF2. But now, I can only sigh when I see another COD being released. For all of their influence and reinvention of the FPS genre, they have fallen completely stale. I would not recommend buying MW:3, unless you are really in love with the series. The campaign has turned into something so ridiculous I don't even think the worst Hollywood action movies could out do it, and while the set pieces still bring a slight bit of excitement, it all just feels like I've done this before. The only solid part about the whole thing is that it closes out the series storyline.( I hope, anyway) The multiplayer has some nice tweaks in it and I have to say the co-op is also very well done, but once again, it all feels the same. It's still the corridor, run-n-gun, twitch reflex, no-scope, game. And despite all of the small, and well done tweaks, the game just seems to be all too familiar to keep me interested. I can honestly say that I tried, I played with a bunch of friends, tried to re-light that fire that kept me playing COD:4 for years, but it's just not there anymore. Honestly, I would say this game is worth the rental, especially if you played COD:4, and MW2, just to close out the story. However, I would absolutely not recommend buying MW:3, it's just not worth the money anymore. Collapse
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    Basically the Modern Warfare 2 with a horde mode
    The story is nonsensical (something about Russians blowing up kids) Multiplayer is copy and paste from MW2
    We can't let big developers get away with this lazy game design any more
    I want some bloody originality!
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    Full Disclosure: I've played, enjoyed and sunk an insane amount time into every single Call of Duty game on PC and Xbox except for WaW but I am skipping this version of CoD.

The reason that I am skipping it is simply because I am getting tired of paying $60 for essentially a map-pack and a weapons add-on. I was one of the people who was going to get this game until I saw the list of
    changes and it failed to impress me. I bought BF3 on the day that it came out and I got hooked. I didn't get hooked because it was a total departure from CoD but because it gave me an opportunity to experience a more immersive game-play style. I don't ever recall having to have to worry about my position within the map in terms of sun-light/shadow but it plays a huge part in BF3 and causes me to slow-down and think. I have also found out that just because I'm hiding behind a wall, it doesn't mean that this wall will forever keep me hidden. (Thanks to the ability of someone taking out that wall and me along with it!)

The evolution of video games has been a lot about player immersion, which is why the original COD and COD4 was so successful to begin with. They were both very innovative games and that is what has made them into the juggernaut that they are today. Based on all my research however; MW3 fails to move the series forward and instead is sticking to it's tried and true formula, which at this point is just disheartening. This year my money is with EA.

I am giving this game a 0 simply because it's what it's earned in my book and also because it's the amount of money that Activision will be getting from me this year.

Thank you for reading.
  8. Nov 8, 2011
    Just another rehash of a tired old franchise to cash in while they wait for the next cash-in this time next year. The fact that they can release the same game every year for the past 4 years and still get money is a slap in the face to any real developer that takes time to craft a good game. The campaign is dull and overscripted, the online is cheesy and full of 12 year olds screaming in the mic, and the game is still full of cheaters. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2011
    All of these zeros are from COD haters. Click on "All this user's reviews" and notice that they all gave MW3 a zero on all platforms. Like you bought four copies? Its Pathetic. Its so obvious what they are trying to do. Metacritic should stand up and ban these fools. People come here for honest advice and opinions. Not to get to trolled by angry virgins.

This game is very fun to play. Buy it.
  10. Nov 8, 2011
    I've played all of the Call of Duty's and I was happy for some reason but I am wondering why people hate it.
    I love MW2 and MW3.I also hate most people for hating this game so much because I'm wondering why?
  11. Nov 8, 2011
    This game deserves credit one of the most if not the most feature rich games out there. The undeserved hate this game is receiving on here is pathetic.
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    black ops was much better. mw2 and 3 are a disgrace to cod 4. they took the best cod and just ruined it's name. yeah, people will play it, but it won't be remembered. the reviews were probably paid for coz it is just complete bull once you play this game for more than 1 hour.
  13. Nov 8, 2011
    Sorry, if you don't like the game... you're probably just not that great at it. Of course it's not too different from the previous entries, people who buy these games LOVE the previous entries. The series has become a bit more geared to the hardcore COD players, especially with the Call of Duty Elite service. If you spent countless hours in COD4, MW2, and Black Ops you will love this game. A lot of simple tweaks and alterations to the multiplayer experience make it a lot more enjoyable and functional than previous entries. Give it a shot, and if you're not doing too great... just stick with it. You'll get better quicker than you think, trust me. Expand
  14. Nov 8, 2011
    I think its better than the other call of duty games. I'm satisfied. No more black ops ****

Survival mode Spec Ops is fun as hell, and the campaign it EPIC.
  15. Nov 8, 2011
    To sum up the potential of a very long review, when I saw my friend playing it before I had a chance to try it out I thought it was MW2. Doesn't help that the PC setting recommendation popup tells you you are playing MW2.
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    Unoriginal, lack of innovation, gimmicky, are just a few words to describe a game like this which gets a free pass by critics for the lack of unique new features while other games are harshly reviewed. I played COD4, and from there on it has been a steep downhill slope for the franchise. Stick to Battlefield 3 if you crave something that requires more skill and is a bit more mature.
  17. Nov 8, 2011
    This game is absolutely fantastic. It improves on MW2 (the worst Call of Duty) in every way. The multiplayer is amazing. No more BS CoD point system that almost ruined Black Ops. You feel as if you are always trying to strive towards something new. The Campaign is arguably the best in the series. The story is easy to follow and has the first tear-jerking moment in the franchise. Everyone is always saying this series needs a revamp. NO. this IS the revamp. They don't need to make it Battlefield where they focus on nothing but graphics. Battlefield looks good, but plays awful. The system works. People just like to **** Expand
  18. Nov 8, 2011
    Seriously, I was looking forward to this one. Im disappointed because this is basically mw2 with a few new features. Not worth the admission price. Save your money for a better game unless you want a 60 dollar map pack with outdated graphics.
  19. Nov 8, 2011
    The game rins the smoothest out of the franchise, it might not be revolutionary but it far surpasses the gears of war, battlefield and tom clancy franchises. If your only complaint is that its a rehash, then so be it but nothing on the market can surpass its playability. Fact!
  20. Nov 8, 2011
    The 2nd expansion pack to MW2 has arrived. More of the same- yawn. I'm not quite sure whether they are too scared of innovating and scaring off the occassional tatoo toting bogans who are cod fanboys, whether the release cycle is burning them, or they have just run out of steam. Either way this is dodgy.
  21. Nov 9, 2011
    Can I say why I am giving this game a low score? First the graphics are from COD4 MW1. So what we have is no innovasion on that side. 2nd The story is dull, I have now stopped playing it and it will be returned to the video sstore from where i rented it. 3rd I feel robbed for spending 1 euro for the 1 day rental. 4th If you have played any MW game you have played this. 5th This game costs 60 euro....
    I cannot comment on mp as I could not be bothered trying it as I assume it is the same as previous games.

I really enjoyed cod 4 mw1 and I cant remember the amount of times I reset my rank. It was fun then but now it is old and I really cannot see the point in playing the same game and paying 1 euro or 60 euro for it.
  22. Nov 9, 2011
    All of the immediate backlash from clearly unintelligent people expecting some revolutionary game is, quite humourous. The fanatacism in the video game industry now is quite pathetic. This idea that you can only enjoy and support either Battlefield or COD is beyond absurd. You literally couldn't compare two more distinctly opposite games, with the only similarity being that you shoot various types of weaponry. One does it's best to emulate a more strategic, team-based, open battlefield design, while the other is clearly meant to be a frantic, tight-quartered dose of chaos and over-the-top action. For me, I enjoy them both BECAUSE of their specific differences.

As for the game..............

Well, having not played any of the COD games since MW2 (which was pretty awesome), I can say that I didn't have any hopes or expectations on this game. Since MW2 I had spent more of my limited gaming time enjoying the Battlefield series and had recently decided to give this a spin. Well worth it. Pure fun, pure entertainment. There really isn't much negative I could say about it. It's a nice change of pace from Battlefield, and was an immediate wake-up call to me that I needed to change my FPS skills accordingly.

If you're expecting something mind-blowing or revolutionary, you're simply not thinking straight and don't really have the ability to comment on the gaming industry. If you're somebody who enjoys the adrenaline of fast paced, over-the-top action and enjoy constant unlocks, a plethora of game modes and maps.......then you should love this game.

Rating: 8.5/10 (rounded to 9)

FYI, Battlefield 3 rating: 8/10

Enjoy them both..............they're both incredible multiplayer games that should hold your attention for months, if not years.
  23. Nov 9, 2011
    Call of Duty MW 2.5 - thats the real name of this game. same game another 60$
    you get a new story WOW but after you play it over and over, you want to enjoy some Multi action and then you get MW 2 all over again..

GREAT STUFF ACTMONEY

the 2 points go to the single..
  24. Nov 9, 2011
    This game uses the same engine as Modern Warfare 2, doesn't show us anything new, the campaign is patethic, boring and way too easy, the multiplayer is more of the same (as I said already). Also, there will be alot of DLCs.
    Incredible, this game is probably the worst ever.
  25. Nov 9, 2011
    Well I saw gameplay of the online and genuinely thought it was Modern Warfare 2 on Overgrown. The menus, textures, architecture point pop-ups and HUD are exactly the same as Modern Warfare 2. The guns, perks, kill streaks and sounds have been shaken up slightly in an attempt to keep it fresh.
    The campaign looks to be sleep inducing, there seems to be no events made to be touching or make
    you think deeper. Ask anyone who has played a previous installment, they will agree it's basically MW2 DLC put onto a disc.

Yes it will keep you entertained for some hours but try to put off buying this stale milk left for dead series, maybe steal a copy.
  26. Nov 9, 2011
    BF3 fanboys shouldn't be allowed to post, really this is just to counter act them. It's a solid 9.5 game though. I own both games and I almost sold bf3 within first 30 minutes after having huge lag, server connection, and rediculos downloads dor graphics, 2 disks retarded! Mw3 had nothing like this and blew me away at how smooth and how much anoying stuff they fixed from old games. Love new kill streak system. Buy the game and you bf3 looses stop posting horri.ble reviews Expand
  27. Nov 9, 2011
    Inferior to the PS3 version, but both versions are not worth it. Really old and been there, done that.. If you have played MW2, don't bother with this, buy Uncharted 3 or something worthwhile instead., don't waste your money on this game, it's simply not worth it.
  28. Nov 9, 2011
    Run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, GLITCH run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, MODDED CONTROLLER run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get run, shoot, get shot, respawn,shot, respawn, SAME GAME EVERYTIME run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO VIDEOGAMES SINCE THE ATARI JAGUAR run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, run, shoot, get shot, respawn, OH LOOK MW4 IS ABOUT TO COME OUT. Expand
  29. Nov 9, 2011
    The amount of 0 on this game is pathetic. People don't understand what a 0 really means, and are just rating it that low because they want it to do bad. MW3 is a great game no matter what way you look at it. If you keep judging it compared to the previous games, you're only detracting from the experience for yourself. The multiplayer is the most deep and rich the series has seen, and yet also the most balanced. It's fantastic fun. The Spec Ops also adds increased depth on what was already a successful formula, especially the new Survival mode. The campaign is short, but thrilling and brilliant. While it isn't the most original game we've got, and we've seen a lot of this done before, it undoubtedly does it's job very well. People merely rate this bad because they want to rate it bad. Expand
  30. Nov 9, 2011
    What a piece of ****
    It's just a copy Of MW2!
    Same graphics,same extremely outdated engine,almost the same multiplayer,short and lame singleplayer.
    The console peasants might be pleased with this but i am not!
  31. Nov 9, 2011
    Yet another Call of Duty that is essentially just another re-skin of the same formula that's kept fanboys coming back time and again. Don't spend your $60 on what could just as easily pass for MW2 DLC with more stats.
  32. Nov 9, 2011
    This is the WORST Call of Duty EVER! I use to love this game. I waited eagerly to play MW3 only to be meet with frustration and disappointment. The "Run n' Gun" is virtually impossible in the multiplayer due to poor spawn points, an insanely high amount of campers, and an abundance of noobs. I will also add that the maps are less then desirable, I didn't enjoy playing on any of them. BRING BACK BLACK OPS!! Expand
  33. Nov 9, 2011
    The game is the same exact thing. It hasn't changed at all. It was fun 3 years ago, but its bland and aged now. This cow has been milked as much as it could possibly could.
  34. Nov 9, 2011
    Why pay $60 for the same thing every year it's just like Madden. People are just like sheep. It's time to move on to something else with more innovation. Call of Duty Elite is a copy of Halo Waypoint and Waypoint is free for all features. CoD is lacking because they know you will buy it just because it's called Modern Warfare.
  35. Nov 9, 2011
    Need I say more, for a purely recycled experiment turned into a global phenomenom all because of the people that buy this tripe, all to fulfill a fantasy of being an army Hero, seriously. The thing that makes me cringe about this, is the "Shock Value" which i call cheap exploitation, blowing up a little girl for no reason is not cool, and I don't think we need that in a video game. Tell a story right, or just don't tell one at all. Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2011
    I rented this game on release date and i am so glad i didn't go out and buy it, basically a title update of past CoD games, honestly don't see why this was so hyped.
  37. Nov 9, 2011
    I am a bit irritated by all the negative reviews by users on here. Just like everyone else I felt like COD as a franchise was getting old and needed a break, or at least a shot in the arm. While MW3 isn't revolutionary, it is definitely one of the strongest outings yet. The game definitely feels like MW2, yet it is a lot more balanced on the online front and manages to stay fun. Even when you aren't getting kills you can have more fun than you did in Black Ops or MW2 because you can actually support your team and get rewarded for it. The game definitely isn't n00b friendly, but it manages to reward you for everything you do. I think that future Call of Duty games need to follow a similar path and MW3 is a great start. The new survival mode is great and I feel it fills a gap for those who want to play COD, but are easily frustrated by the multiplayer. BF3 is by far the superior game, but MW3 isn't a disappointment by any means. The haters can talk s*** all they want, but the truth is that 90% of them went out and bought this game on day 1 and are probably going to buy the map packs and the next COD that comes out. If you want Call of Duty to fail don't muddy up their scores on Metacritic, STOP BUYING THE GAMES. I on the other hand will continue to enjoy MW3 for the next few months instead of griping about the graphics. Expand
  38. Nov 9, 2011
    I gave the game a low score for a few reasons. I feel that because the damage is so beefed up that the game now doesn't rely on tactics and strategy as it is too strongly now based on reaction time and latency, this issue punishes those of us that don't have super low pings. Tied to the first issue, because the game is so fast my friends who havn't played as much CoD and don't react completely on instinct (there isn't any time to consciously think about your actions) do not enjoy playing the game (so much for 'anyone can pick up and play") which makes it more difficult for me to enjoy. Another issue is team play. IW and SH keep coming up with ways to reward the individual for objective play under the guise that they are promoting "team play". If you want tips on how to promote team play you need only look at BF3. Because the game is so fast now there is no reason to call out to a friend about enemy locations because by the time they are able to react the same enemy has cleared out the room before you could finish the sentence. As far as map design an sniping is concerned... There are very few places you can legitimately snipe. The maps are so tiny that it only lends itself to quick scoping, by and large alienating people who want to kick back, take it a little slower and snipe from range. like normal snipers.

In my honest opinion. the game needs to be slowed down by reducing damage in general to be somewhere between black ops and MW2.

There is a reason the user score is so low IW/SH. These are only some of my concerns from my experience. I just hope they are listening.
  39. Nov 9, 2011
    It's the same game everyone already bought with a new number in the title. You're paying the price for a full game when all you are really getting is an overpriced expansion pack.
  40. Nov 9, 2011
    My problem with the game is that it is the same thing repeated over again. I was talking with a friend today and we discussed the fact that there no longer is a game with working multiplayer that is based on skill, rather then how much you have played. This game lacks serious functionality, and for all you noobs I beg you to watch your kill cam. On your screen you are behind the wall; on your opponents you are not. Still p2p servers no dedicated where is the effort anymore.

Got bored with singleplayer turned it off quick. Spec ops missions are cut outs of singleplayer with a partner, and are mediocre at best.
  41. Nov 9, 2011
    same game ive been playing since mw2. controls feel clunky and slow. gameplay is the same and for me the games been lagging alot since release. cant even see the leaderboards...
  42. Nov 10, 2011
    simply boring. I would rather go to sleep at the steering wheel then to play another 5 minutes of this game, constant bugs and glitches, no innovative gameplay, at all, just a different way of accessing your killstreaks and perks and weapons, but overall the game feels cliched, and exactly like MW2 except more like an expansion pack. But the thing I hate the most, all these pro critics sit there and complain how other game series feel the same but what about the call of duty series, hasn't changed its gameplay formula since MW1 but critics still give the games top reviews. So it has to be obvious, the morons are being paid to give this game a good review so that Activision can get and 15 million copies sold. Its starting to become about money and not quality when it comes to Activision, Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

Who ever buys this game and like it, is a very generic human being and has to be put down at once. Way to sad to see peoples lifes rot away as they play MW3
  43. Nov 10, 2011
    Have been playing MW3 online for a few hours now and it surprised me that a game I wasn't looking forward to, at all, still was able to... disappoint me.
  44. Nov 10, 2011
    To be honest, I wasn't expecting good things at first. But... yeah I was about right. Same game engine since Call of Duty 4. However, this was made even worse when they added the glow effect in Modern Warfare 2 which made everything look like it was covered in an oddly rigid water. Do not buy. Let the poor guy die. He's had enough. Call of Duty had potential, but it was quickly sapped by the greedy publishers. Do not blame the devs. It's all on Activision. Expand
  45. Nov 10, 2011
    8th same Call of Duty game in 8 years, to milk even more money they decided to just downgrade the MP even more for a elite subscription which won't even include $15 old map packs every month! Avoid.
  46. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm sorely disappointed in the multiplayer. After playing both BF3 and MW3 multiplayer, BF3 is in my opinion the superior of the two.

Graphically MW3 hasn't changed much while BF3 adds a new level of realism.

Sound wise, and this is the first thing I noticed as soon as I started playing MW3 multiplayer, MW3 is dull. Every time the weapon fired it just kinda sounded like thuds to me. BF3
    sound seems to have that special sharpness and crack when a weapon or explosion goes off.

The maps, oh the maps..., are the exact same thing I've seen in MW for a while now. Each one is just laid out different and with different textures. Actually trying to use knowledge of the map to your advantage fails horribly because by the time you try to circle around any enemy they are either gone or already killed by the fast paced nature of things.

The list of game modes available, while impressive, still lack ways to differentiate from each one, mostly due to the lack of map uniqueness.

The only thing that saves it for me is the single player campaign.
  47. Nov 10, 2011
    Over hyped game. This game feel more like modern warfare 2.5. Players don't need a new CoD every year. We want and uber new CoD every 2-3 years instead. Activision, learn from Battlefield!!!
  48. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Can't believe I wasted $50 on another copy of Modern Warfare 2. SPOILER: It is exactly the same formula as has been seen in the last two games, and if anything isn't as good as them, as i thoroughly enjoyed those games, and this one is just pathetic. Expand
  49. Nov 10, 2011
    Game is terrible. I've been a cod fan for years now and this is the worst of the bunch. Maps are too compact, and at every turn there is an enemy. It takes out the tactical aspect of cod. There's isn't one, u basically just run around shooting. You no longer feel accomplished getting 20+ kills, now that that's the average. I feel that they made the game so the players can get matches done quickly, rack up as many kills as possible, rank up like crazy, and acquire kill streaks like its a job. Graphics are good. Only positive. I'm going to return the game and keep playing my BF3. Game needs to be challenging and require skill and tactic, not a massacre at every turn. Bad job!! Expand
  50. Nov 10, 2011
    Another year, another COD: and every new COD is worst than previous. MWF3 is repetitive, the 6 hour campaign is too short, and the multiplayer adds nothing new.
  51. Nov 10, 2011
    Wow what a complete let down. I was expecting to get the best COD yet but instead its still less balanced than the first Modern Warfare. The weapons are even easier to fire. You can easily spray with any weapon and land most of the shots. This series is just losing its tactics and strategy behind it. It's gotten to the point where it feels like quake with modern assault rifles and weak player characters instead. The only draw to this game comes from some new weapons, maps, and a new killstreak system. Which in a way is kind of better but that feature alone doesn't change enough...let alone sell the game. The new maps are also uninspired and don't give you many options flanking. Trust me, after a couple hours the game just starts to feel like the same old stuff. You might as well go back to the first Modern Warfare from '07 if you want a better experience. Remember more does not mean better. Expand
  52. Nov 10, 2011
    Do yourself a favor and ignore what the flock of sheep are saying about this game. Same iteration, no matter the name change. Just go back to playing Blops or MW2 or even MW1. Its not like you'll find much of a difference anyway.
  53. Nov 10, 2011
    Sorry Activision, but its just a next title update. I'm very dissapointed, next time I will not buy "another" Call of Duty game. Really sad to say it but its true.
  54. Nov 10, 2011
    Maps are too maze-like close-combat maps. I really havent imagined yet how this differs from MW2 other than the couple odd new killstreaks. I actually paid 60â
  55. Nov 10, 2011
    As a long time COD player, I find myself disappointed by the latest installment. Although the campaign was the predictable fare it was fairly well done, but nothing truly new or innovating was to be seen there. Moving on to the MP side of things, I feel its a backward step compared to its Treyarch predecessor, something I would never thought I would say, poor map designs, even poorer spawn mechanics, the removal of the great gun customisations Combat Training, and the parred down theatre editing options so well implemented In COD:BO. With a bleak selection of weapons and perk choices It feels more and more like expansion pack territory in all but name. I would love to of been able to give this the usual score of 8+ out of 10 but with such a pedestrian franchise update and the many problems, lag, poor hit detection, no Elite Access, (Paid For Hardened Edition) no Founder content accessible and irredeemable avatar DLC, I feel giving a score of 5+ here is too generous for the problems faced, I had high hopes but low expectations coming in, but not this low. Expand
  56. Nov 10, 2011
    Why would i continue to play this game? I played for like three hours, and realized...it was just the same thing as modern warfare 2 and black ops...which were bad too. When will they get an idea and actually change the game instead of just copying and pasting? I'm surprised so many people like it and don't see that it's copy and paste. The story was short, and very very very boring, i know people that say its "the best ever" but all they play is call of duty, they don't play other games. The story was very short, boring, and felt like it was trying to be good, but we all know it wasn't. Year after year, people want the next call of duty game to be better, but deep inside they know its not good at all. Expand
  57. Nov 10, 2011
    after being loyal to COD games for ages i had enough-- sure it can be fun. but its the same **** in a different package-- i will not pick up another COD before they change everythæng drasticly-- this just feels like a big DLC-- very dissapointing-- R.I.P COD--
  58. Nov 10, 2011
    Almost every negative score is from a first time reviewer. Go ahead and click their names and see for yourself. I find it strange that metacritic is allowing these reviews to stay up. I know for a fact they pulled a few bad reviews for Uncharted 3. This is making the site look bad.
  59. Nov 10, 2011
    Please disregard the other reviews giving this game such a low score. This game is beyond epic fro The beginning of the single player all the way to the end. The creators listened to your crys for help and took of all the things that broke mw2. This game will keep you playing until your eyes bleed. And for those of you who think the engine is the same. Have you even taken time to compare the two games? Exactly my point. Forget the haters and enjoy this awesome game! Expand
  60. Nov 10, 2011
    It gets a 1 for Spec Ops only.

Money grabbing fools learn to look after your customers not fob them off. Same old crap diffrent year.
    The worst sound effects in any shooter seriously doom had better sounds.

If this is your very first COD game go ahead and enjoy it if it is not dont waste your money on this console ****
  61. Nov 10, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3? A new videogame? I was thinking that was a DLC of 70$. You will feel like you've stepped back in time 6-7 years. The graphics are brown and grey and decay-esque, the gun sounds are horrible.
  62. Nov 10, 2011
    Same game as MW2, MW1 and black ops, nothing has changed! Just new maps, which they will release a few more for $20 every month. Why do people keep buying this?
  63. Nov 10, 2011
    Im a gamer, its what I do. While the SP was good, the MP is horrible. It feels like you're running though quicksand, moving super slow and randomly spraying giant rice at people. None of the guns sound different, all sound "cool and edgy" Not like the way the guns should sound at all, and, worse of all, thousands of screaming screaming SCREAMING kids yelling about hard scoping.

What a
    joooooooooooooooke Expand
  64. Nov 10, 2011
    lame, sadly for the weak minded. lame, sadly for the weak minded. lame, sadly for the weak minded. lame, sadly for the weak minded.lame, sadly for the weak minded.lame, sadly for the weak minded
  65. Nov 10, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this but I've got to say I'm dissapointed. I dont know what game the reviewers have been playing but some of their scores beggars belief. It's the same old same old. Maybe I'm just growing up & out of this style of game & it's better suited for younger people. The campain was ok but the multiplayer is boring after a week. I'm selling it on ebay right now while it's still worth something. BF3 is my new game & I've finally seen the light regards what it offers as an FPS. Which is about 10 times more & then some.. Expand
  66. Nov 10, 2011
    same ole same ole! Nothing has changed... This game used to be about skill. The player with the most skill would win everytime... Now, a 10 yo can pick up a controller and go 30-2... sickening!
  67. Nov 10, 2011
    First off, this game isn't actually a 0 "but YOU gave it a 0!" you say.....well ya, that's because Activision deserves it. The direction they have taken the CoD franchise is unacceptable to the future of innovative gaming. By direction I of course mean the fact that it has been standing still ever since CoD 4. I'm sorry but anyone who continually supports this company in producing glorified add-ons that get labeled as full releases is an absolute zombie. If we as consumers keep paying full price for games that do nothing to advance the medium or even simply the genre then what message does that send gaming developers? It's ok for you to just feed us the same crap over and over again? No need to be creative and try something new? Don't bother putting actual effort into new releases? How about all of the above

The CoD franchise has become an enigma, on the one hand it shows just how popular, and essential to entertainment gaming has become. On the other hand it also shows you everything that is wrong with the current state of the industry and their attitude towards consumers. An attitude that is born of our own fault of course. We have the power to change it, the question is, will we?
  68. Nov 10, 2011
    well after playing this game yess the campaign is action packed and fun to play thew multiplayer just plain sux I mean map design is horrible as well as the dated graphics I accidently swore that this was MW2 when I playing through a couple of lvls. any there is no excuse for this POS for a game I mean for crying out loud why couldnt they borrow the ID Tech 5 engine it would have done wonders for this game. anyway I own both MW3 and BF3. and i can tell u this one of them I played for a couple of hours and got bored immediatly the other one for a whole day I didnt even go to sleep and played it straight I'll let you figure out
    which one is which.
  69. Nov 10, 2011
    Where to start? I have been playing COD since the very first game on PC, and IMO Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the best COD game in the entire franchise. What happened Infinity Ward? Modern Warfare 3 is the same as Black Ops / Modern Warfare 2....it's just more of the same. This game really could have been released as a $30 expansion (or something like that). I don't really understand what all the hype is surrounding this game (IMO there are much better ones just released and that are coming out).

The single player is poor, multiplayer is more of the same, and SpecOps feels like it was tacked on.....There is just not enough here to justify a $60 game. If it was going for $40, ok....that would change this review a bit. To give Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games credit, they did do a remarkable job with the graphics (this is at least a four year old engine), and you can tell they worked extremely hard to deliver this.

Bottom line, buy this, yes or no?: No - Save your money and play COD: Modern Warfare if you need your "war" game fix.
  70. Nov 10, 2011
    I've played COD since I got a demo for the first one long ago on a "Maximum CD". I've seen the series grow and change except for recently when It stopped. COD MW3 is just another rehash of an old game with a new skin/logo and they except everyone to buy it. It's effectively nothing more than one of their cash cows now.

The single player is okay but just like every game its over in one day
    if you sit down to really play it. The online part of it is just the same as the previous except with what appears to be smaller sized maps. If you want just rent the game and beat the campaign. If your looking for online play just play any of the other copies that were released previously or just find another series. Expand
  71. Nov 10, 2011
    The only reason I'm giving this game a review is because a dev asked fans to give it a higher score on Twitter. Score manipulation isn't okay to do Schofield.
  72. Nov 10, 2011
    This should have been COD MW 2.5...same graphics, terrible maps and the old problems with Infinity Ward games. Black Ops was the most balanced and best looking game to date and this takes a step backwards. The multiplayer maps all look the same and trying to identify a landmark on each maps is impossible. Try telling your friends where you are on a map..."Hey, I'm here at the broken, brown building. Oh wait, that's every building in every map." Domination has spawn issues where you get pinned at a location over and over. Treyarch is proving to be the superior of the two teams, so please Infinity Ward, go ask for some map building advice. Expand
  73. Nov 10, 2011
    I am a COD player ever since Call of Duty hit the shelves in 2003. I like the series very much, I played every single COD game across every platform. Unfortunately I also had a chance of playing MW3. I regret getting it both on PC and the 360. I had fun with this game for about 20 minutes in SP and an hour in MP. It's as much as I could take. The game is way too repetitive in every aspect of it. There is nothing new that is good going for it. The MP maps are a joke, campers on every corner, the SP is cliched and comes with all the cheap thrills we already saw dozens of times before. While it runs great on a greatly outdated engine on the 360 the PC graphics are crappy and are a complete mess. Some of the screen shots posted online were retouched without a doubt. If MW3 released in 2006 it would be good, but for today's standards it just shows the lack of effort on Activision's part. I am really disappointed. We as gamers need to ask more from the companies we support. With the release of MW3 I lost the respect I had for Activision. Begging gamers for support in raising a user score on here by a CoD developer is something I would never expect. I would never suggest getting this game to anyone. Let's hope MW4 will be better. Just an honest opinion. Expand
  74. Nov 10, 2011
    Even though the game uses the same engine, there are changes to the gameplay that make it the game that it should have been two years ago. After playing Battlefield 3, I realized that COD is my game of choice. No other game gets the adrenaline pumping and my palms sweating like COD. The best multiplayer of the bunch, and as always the campaign is loud and brash enough to have the hours whizz by. Spec Ops is a good time waster, and the new survival mode can be addictive. Don't listen to all the trolls who are knocking this game. This is a must buy for COD fans and a great place to enter the series Expand
  75. Nov 10, 2011
    Don't be fooled by the professional reviews and don't give into the media hype. This is the game generic military shooter that comes out every year in an already saturated market. This game is another 6 hour campaign that hides behind multi player. Same generic crap you see in every game. Death match, coop, team death match etc. BOOOORING. Your money is better spent on other games this year like Zelda Skyward Sword, Dark Souls, Rayman Origins, Uncharted 3 and Batman AC. Expand
  76. Nov 10, 2011
    Same usual crappy game just like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Call of Duty needs to get some serious changes and fixes to it because I'm sick and tired of the same gameplay. A proper Call of Duty needs to be built ground up, with a proper non-over-the-top storyline and balanced, skill-requiring multiplayer.
  77. Nov 10, 2011
    awesome game, don't know why it's getting such low user score.I am enjoying the campaign and of course the multiplayer.spec ops is my favourite mode ,but i wish they had bots in splitscreen mode other than that the game is awesome worth it's $60 price tag.
  78. Nov 10, 2011
    Completely uninspired/unoriginal crap. Activision needs to stop this yearly release schedule and focus on making a good CoD game, not just a copy/paste of previous ones.
  79. Nov 10, 2011
    HEY i bought this game thinking it was the second coming... its NOT.. its exactly the same as the others... and quick scope is back making snipers have a Huge advantage over any other... im taking this game back today maybe get skyrim.. activition will never learn is it keeps selling like hot cakes... this is a sad day for all gamers.. =) sorry i gave it a ten its definetly not--.--
  80. Nov 10, 2011
    For all of those players excited to pay $60 for an expansion pack mash-up of Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2, you're sure to be pleased. Anyone else who's looking for innovation or, at the very least having long existing issues addressed should look elsewhere. From the trend established by the past few releases in the series, Modern Warfare 3 is pretty much what I expected - and that's not a good thing.

The single player, briefly, is solid, but not spectacular. If you've played the previous Modern Warfare title's campaign's, you know what to expect - shoot infinite enemies emerging from invisible monster closets until you move to the right trigger point to make them come from another one. Eventually make it to large setpiece explosion/event and repeat. The multiplayer isn't even this good (if we can even use that word).

The multiplayer actually feels like a step backward. The menus are clunky and feel thrown together, but this is just the first hint of crappiness to come. The maps feel like thrown-together paintball arenas rather than locations that would exist in real life. The developers forced obstacles, alleyways and staircases where they don't make sense, just to create more chaos - and not the good kind. Maps feel maze-like, and combined with the random spawn system there is little room for any kind of cohesive, team-oriented strategy. The best case scenerio still ends up being some strange hybrid of free for all and team deathmatch. All too often you find yourself shot in the back by someone who just spawned behind you mere seconds ago, often from an area you though that you'd just cleared. But perhaps the most infuriating aspect of multiplayer is the over performance of the gameplay. In spite of the billions of dollars made on this franchise, Activision refuses to invest in dedicated servers on consoles. This leaves players at the mercy of whatever local host is chosen, and more often than not, it's not pleasant. Lag and shoddy hit detection are not only common, but present the vast majority of the time. There's always at least a few players (if not the entire opposing team) that can survive multiple headshots, 8-12 chest shots or sometimes even have the ability to allow bullets to pass right through them from 2 feet away. On the other hand, enemies kill you around corners, knife you even though the slashed it with their back to you and 3 feet away, or in spite of their near invincibility, you'll find yourself shooting first, hitting (multiple times) first, yet still end up dead via 2 shots to the leg (after yourself registering multiple shots to the body and/or head). The multiplayer is broken, and given that this is the primary reason for purchase for most players, I feel not only disappointed, but ripped off.
  81. Nov 10, 2011
    Hands down the best COD remake YET! Call of Duty: Modern Warfare HD HD is so good, because instead of going outside the box and making a new game, they REMADE the same game! Who could ask for anything more?! The way they reuse buildings and character textures is almost STUNNING! And the extra maps they added?? Brilliant. I just wish they would add more stereotypical plot settings! I LOVE when I have to replay the same game over and over again, because it NEVER gets stale, or boring. I must say... the whole, "Evil russian" bit is hilarious, and so innovative. I'd recommend this game to anyone who loves repetitive, dull games, or being yelled at y 8-year-old british children.

If you feel your family jewels are a bit too small, THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU! Show everyone how huge your boomstick is by shooting children and grown men alike in the face in a virtual world where, "everything's made up, and the points don't matter."
  82. Nov 10, 2011
    I had no expectations for this game and yet I still find myself hating it. The campaign is terrible, it's just a series of explosions w/ no narrative comprehension, the maps are the worst the series has seen yet and the multiplayer is still the same camp fest that MW2 and BO were, the only thing different about it is that kill streaks are now in categories, but it doesn't matter because all the same kill streaks are there, all you have to do is get your 7 kills and let the attack helicopter get you another 20. Survival mode is the only "new" thing in this game but anyone should be able to tell that it's just a cheap combination of horde from GoW and zombies plus is doesn't even have matchmaking so it's pretty useless. The thing that pisses me off the most about this game is that the devs made no attempt to make any thing different, it feels, plays, looks and sounds exactly like the past 2 MW games even the menus look exactly like the MW2 menus. The last time this series had any innovation was in 2007, it's been running off the same engine and gameplay ideas ever since but yet for some reason the critics still go and give it 9s and even worse the same people go out and help it break sales records (at what point do you people realize you just paid $60 for the same game you bought 5 years ago?). To call this game MW2.5 is generous it is MW1 w/ a different cover, a 3 in the title, a couple of re-skinned guns and some new modes that don't even have matchmaking. I'm glad I had the sense to only rent it, too bad the same couldn't be said for the 9 million people who blindly handed their money over to the devs on day one, you people just bought Call of Duty Modern Warfare...AGAIN. Expand
  83. Nov 10, 2011
    A miserable game like none other. Worst fps game I've ever seen in my entire life! Green oxidized copper all over the screen. Everything is green with the miserable post fx! The previous games in the series were miserable but this one is reaching new lows. Bf3 is 10000 times better than mw3! Do NOT BUY. I repeat DO NOT EVEN GET CLOSE TO IT !
  84. Nov 10, 2011
    This game shows how Activision runs every title it can into the ground for money. By the by, if you're looking forward to the DLC map packs in the future, they're already on the disc but they're just going to make you pay to activate them. Squeezing every last ounce of profit from a good franchise, what a disgrace.
  85. Nov 10, 2011
    You know what? Why wont they just admit this crap is just a rehash of Blops and MW2? I swear to god, I wanna enjoy this game, but I'm sick and freaking tired of it to no end. From the obvious rehashing of past ports to the horrible online it has become. Bad hit detection, kill-cams that show the true connection between two people, it's ridicules. This will never be CoD4 no matter how hard they try. They just need to get over it. IW is done since the real guys left, SledgeHammer sucks and Treyarch had it's day in the light with WaW which was awesome IMO. Activision will me milking this till the day the world ends. I've been a fan of CoD for along time and it kills me to see this franchise turn into some laughing stock of the gaming world. Believe it or not Schofield people actually hate this game. And the only reason you all make a killing like you do is because of the millions of 11 year olds who wanna LULxXxquickscopeXX420. I used to be a CoDrone like them, but you all can keep your ridicules 15$ map packs and rehashing for the kiddies. I gave this a 3 like I did because deep down I want CoD to return to it's amazingness that was CoD4, hell, even WaW to an extent. But in the end, CoD needs to stop BSing the video game world. I'm done, people who aren't 11 know what needs to be done with this game. Expand
  86. Nov 10, 2011
    In general it is a good quality game - though basically the same as the previous ones. The biggest problem continues to be the XBOX live play. It suffers from individual connection speed. If you have a top notch internet provider you reign supreme. But for the rest of us it is rather dissatisfying since you are killed even before you see your opponent!
  87. Nov 10, 2011
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the title I would think that I was playing MW2 all over again. Obviously this game is not not worth $60. COD is slowing killing any originality in the gaming industry and this game continues to prove that.
  88. Nov 10, 2011
    I was super excited for this game, but utterly disappointed when I finally got it. This should have been released as DLC and not as a full game. This is a money grab by Activision plain and simple. Without IW this franchise turned to garbage in a hurry. The fact that Activision is begging people on twitter to come give this crap a better score on here forced me to come help rate it down even more. Dont buy this garbage unless you like to throw money away, and if you do, send it to me instead! Go buy a good game like Skyrim, BF3, or Arkham City. MW3 is a joke... Expand
  89. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is pure crap The graphics are outdated The Multiplayer is broken and designed for Casuals The Weapons sound like Paperguns The maps are smaller than my bathroom The Campaign is 3 Hours long and boring They did copy+paste in a lot of places > 1:1 copy of buildings from CoD4 This game is pure crap and the Justin Bieber of Gaming.No Quality and a bunch of 5 year old casuals behind them who don't know it better.
    For people who want to play a real good FPS there are a lot of alternatives.
    People rather spend their money on good games for example Skyrim,Uncharted 3,Battlefield 3,Saints Row 3,AssaCreed,Zelda,Import NiNoKuni from Japan or hell even Rayman.
  90. Nov 10, 2011
    Same ol thing, nothing new here. Sounds, maps, guns and a bunch of people riding for the brand. Time to fire IW and get some new talent. At least Treyarc thought out of the box and actually developed a decent Co-Op game! IW nice try, better luck next time.
  91. Nov 10, 2011
    This tittle is disappointing in all aspects. To start of the multiplayer which is supposed to be at its best according to them is more of a failure not only because gameplay is sluggish and their so called balance just made the game a lot worst and unplayable. Since when can a hand gun one shot you in the hand....since mw3 got here. Leveling system is waaaay to easy, you can reach 1 prestige in just 5 hours. Oh and don't feel proud of your first prestige because as soon as you leave the Game for the day, they will reset everything and give a lame excuse that they were unable to receive data of your level. Also don't get me started on the $50 "SCAM" that is cod elite. No double exp. ( so much for the so called 2xexp week debut) no clans, no founder status or anything they said we would receive and to top it off after there HUGE mistake and UNTESTED NON WORKING product they want YOU to give them a 48 hour wait time for this to be fix for when after the 48hrs are over they would have made your $50 in interest in their bank account so they won't give a s*** about you the consumer. So I hope that after this review you invest it in a better company, game and product. Expand
  92. Nov 10, 2011
    There are serious problems with this game. Forget that it looks like MW2 for a second because everyone's saying that. I rather point out strictly the multiplayer. I consider myself a very good COD player with a black ops k/d of 1.5. Not amazing but decent. This game I'm going 7-26 every match. I've gone positive twice out of hundreds of matches. My skills haven't changed but this game has. Being killed in THREE bullets no matter the gun means that as soon as you take damage it's a death sentence. And with a mess of kill streaks there seems to be no balance as your pummeled by a million random things making it impossible to keep a "point streak" going in anything other than a support class. (doesn't reset after death.) Your movement speed is awkward as hell. The garbage all over every level makes it difficult to pick people out. And I die a lot. Not because I'm a noob but cuz I feel this game is broken. MW2 was broken with one man army noobtube but did they fix it? Nope. Will they fix this game? Probably not. The way this game is set up is to reward the camper. Because running and gunning isn't possible as you'll lose almost all one on one fights trying to run around. I can't camp. I'm just not that type of player and see no fun in it.

With all my friends who converted to BF3 I held out my judgement and said c'mon guys give this game a chance. COD is fun arcade like fast paced action game. How could they have gone wrong? Well they did. I will be trading this game in next week and I will be waiting for treyarch's black ops 2 hoping that the series that I love isn't completely gone and that a decent about of balance and regular updating that made the game fair, balanced, and fun will return.
  93. Nov 10, 2011
    I am a big Call of Duty fan and I have been playing CoD games since COD2. Overall, I think it is quite obvious by the number of bad reviews that this game is a disappointment. Its a real shame that with all the revenue generated by the CoD series, that no development has gone into any substantial updates.

MW3 did away with any innovation that Blackops brought to the table. It seems all
    they did was to take MW2 and throw a stupid amount of killstreaks/perks/unlockables at it. The maps are again very disappointing, too tight and maze like. There is a reason why CoD4 is hailed as the best in the series, its simplicity created good gameplay, which neglected the need for silly features. I don't understand how hard it is to look at the maps that people like the most and create more like them. I think that this poor reiteration of an ageing CoD formula is the icing on the cake, people are fed up and want change. In my opinion, take a step back, don't rush to release a new CoD game purely for revenue as it is only going to hurt you in the long run. Instead, look at the feedback from the user base and ask them what they want done differently. Another option would be show us the changes, and get feedback, instead of just pushing it out on release day and hoping for the best. Expand
  94. Nov 10, 2011
    More re-hashed crap, it's sad and very disheartening when companies such as this are so blatently obvious in their scramble to make cash. The game is just about identical to MW2 and Black Ops, hell it even uses the same game engine!
  95. Nov 10, 2011
    I could have sworn that the cover of the box said "MW3", so you can imagine my surprise when I found out it was actually MW2.
  96. Nov 10, 2011
    There are way too many haters on this site. This game is definetley not bad. This game is so much fun. People have to calm down and enjoy it for what it is, A VIDEO GAME. 9/10 is my real score but these user reviews are getting me mad.
  97. Nov 10, 2011
    Terrible game. Cut and paste of mw2. It is so bad, don't even try it out. Barely anything has changed and it sucks. It is just a $60 dollar expansion pack.
  98. Nov 10, 2011
    Mordern Warfare 3 is the exact same **** game with a different name, terrible Campaign that you finish in 3 and half hours, with the most irregular irritating little maps that you literally spawn on your enemy's shoulders. The lack of vehical's and broken class system creates a very very dry and plain expirence. The visuals are still comparable to my Playstation 2, voice acting and sound of weaponary lack any realness in the game. There really is nothing new that this Game does that makes it worth the plastic it uses Expand
  99. Nov 10, 2011
    After cod4 i think they just gave up. little has been done to make us feel like this game is worth 60$ more like a mini-mod or a dlc for 20$ max. maby if they spent more money on the game it self and not wasting 1mill on **** pr stunts and videos.
  100. Nov 10, 2011
    Very much dissatisfied with this game thus far. The MP graphics look identical to MW2 which was a surprise for me. The multiplayer offerings are the usual fare. It seems as though they did not want to risk changing much or adding anything new, and wanted to play it safe. The game plays as well as any of the other COD's out there. My score is indicative not of the content, but the lack of ingenuity and impactfulness of this game. It is much more MW2.5 than an actual sequel. I was very bored playing this game the 2nd day and am not sure how much more I will be playing. I have prestiged 7 times in the last 2 COD's, and doubtful I will get close to that this go round. The game is just getting stale.

The end.
  101. Nov 8, 2011

1. Jan 11, 2012
    Ultimately, Modern Warfare 3 feels similar to it's brethren, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game. The single player element is still exciting, and multiplayer has more options than ever – if you're a fan of Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3 is a no brainer.
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Modern Warfare 3, while still an excellent thrill ride in its own right, feels far too similar to MW2 or even Black Ops for my taste.
  3. I never expected Modern Warfare 3 to go toe-to-toe with EA's juggernaut this year, but it came out of the gates with a tour de force campaign and co-op mode. It loses points with a perhaps too-familiar multiplayer that caters to the juvenile on Xbox Live; though don't be mistaken, Modern Warfare 3 is one hell of a shooter and a highlight for a series that just won't die – no matter how much we wish it bloody would, at times.