7.5

1. May 22, 2015
    This game is a modern classic. The campaign is intense form start to finish, with flamethrowers, men charging at you with bayonets (and you doing the same to them), and even throwing mortar shells as people! Its multiplayer isn't the best in the series but it's fun nonetheless. Its biggest flaws were an abundance of attack dogs and bouncing betties but it was great anyways. Now, itsThis game is a modern classic. The campaign is intense form start to finish, with flamethrowers, men charging at you with bayonets (and you doing the same to them), and even throwing mortar shells as people! Its multiplayer isn't the best in the series but it's fun nonetheless. Its biggest flaws were an abundance of attack dogs and bouncing betties but it was great anyways. Now, its biggest flaw is all of those hackers who have completely ruined the multiplayer. This is also the game to introduce zombies to the series. The zombies are fun but the only map you're given (DLC ones don't count because they're not part of the original, $60 game) is very small. Overall, it's a rather enjoyable, appropriately dark Wod War II shooter. Expand
  2. Mar 30, 2015
    Taking place before the milking, and hype for call of duty, World at war takes place in several parts of WWII, divided into two campaigns. American, and the Soviet campaign. The Soviet campaign is returning after having last been present in Call of Duty 2. There is no British campaign in the game, making World at War the only major Call of Duty set in the Second World War not to feature aTaking place before the milking, and hype for call of duty, World at war takes place in several parts of WWII, divided into two campaigns. American, and the Soviet campaign. The Soviet campaign is returning after having last been present in Call of Duty 2. There is no British campaign in the game, making World at War the only major Call of Duty set in the Second World War not to feature a British Campaign or a British playable character. It features both a solo and co-op campaign, however both are the same except that co-op is played with multiple people and certain missions are unplayable. The American campaign is set in the Pacific theater on the islands of Makin, Peleliu, and Okinawa. Expand
  3. Mar 29, 2015
    If you are a fan of World war II games, then this is essential to buy. This is the best World war II game ever. The singleplayer brings you right into the action. Some of the most memorable missions. This Call of duty really shows you the horrors of war, making this game rather frightening to play, also adding a fair amount of blood and gore. The multiplayer is disappointing, fun butIf you are a fan of World war II games, then this is essential to buy. This is the best World war II game ever. The singleplayer brings you right into the action. Some of the most memorable missions. This Call of duty really shows you the horrors of war, making this game rather frightening to play, also adding a fair amount of blood and gore. The multiplayer is disappointing, fun but disappointing. You will often find yourself in hacked lobbies and matches making the multiplayer somewhat useless and barely playable, you will have some good matches i can bet that. But just be aware. The newly added zombies mode is a fine and welcoming addition to the call of duty franchise. You may have the most amount of fun with that. Expand
  4. Dec 1, 2014
    This was a good game overall. I liked the fact they decided to go with the WWII theme one last time. The Zombie Mode was also really enjoyable for me. It does seem like they could have done better on the campaign, however. It is also unfortunate that there are a lot of hackers on the multiplayer part of this game.
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    This game is one of my favorite Call of Duty's. We have the story of a Marine named Miller and a Russian Sniper Dimitri Petrenko, inspired by the film 'Enemy at the Gates'. This game introduced one of Call of Duty's best characters, Viktor Reznov, who is a bad ass.
    This game makes 9 because of cooperative campaign, not only we can replay missions, but we can replay them with our friends. Nazi Zombies is also an awesome feature and generally the storyline itself is quite historically accurate.
    The real reason I love this game is the music. The music matches this game perfectly. And the intro to each mission has a cool commentary. Everything about this game is awesome.
    Keep Shootin'
  6. Oct 19, 2014
    This is easily my favorite COD game, the story is just amazing. a great WWII shooter. the multiplayer needed work but it was fun nonetheless. The characters were unique and interesting. Just an example of a good game.
  7. Sep 6, 2014
    This game was a good game, but it was left by the way side. Certain parts of the multiplayer need a lot more balancing, the SMG's are the go to weapon to almost everyone as they are horribly overpowered. But right now before you even need to worry about the weapon balance you need to hope that the lobby that you are in isn't hacked. As I would say a quarter of the players in this gameThis game was a good game, but it was left by the way side. Certain parts of the multiplayer need a lot more balancing, the SMG's are the go to weapon to almost everyone as they are horribly overpowered. But right now before you even need to worry about the weapon balance you need to hope that the lobby that you are in isn't hacked. As I would say a quarter of the players in this game use hacks. These include; god mode, no clip aim bots and a variety of other things that make the multiplayer ruined. So then you'll need the single player to keep you going, and I am glad to say that the single player is better than both other treyarch call of dutys. It is diverse and with compelling movie inspired parts and very strong characters. Now, the zombies. In my opinion zombies was best in world at war as it was the most casual experience, and it taught its players slowly about how to play as it gets gradually more complicated as you go from map to map. But nothing was overwhelming, because if you played all the maps chronologically, when you got to der reise you would know the basics and how things worked. But zombies is still best played with friends as solo you can easily lose interest past round 25 and if you try the matchmaking hackers can hack your multiplayer and make you max rank and mess up all your stats Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2014
    By far the most moving and well designed military game I've ever played, this is my favourite Call of Duty in the series. It actually has a really good story, with fantastic voice acting from everyone. The shooting itself is as immersive as it is realistic, and I think it's one of one of the most enjoyable shooters ever. The campaign is bucket loads of fun, if not a bit short. TheBy far the most moving and well designed military game I've ever played, this is my favourite Call of Duty in the series. It actually has a really good story, with fantastic voice acting from everyone. The shooting itself is as immersive as it is realistic, and I think it's one of one of the most enjoyable shooters ever. The campaign is bucket loads of fun, if not a bit short. The 'Zombies' mode is the best horde mode I've played, and the multiplayer is FANTASTIC; I've never had so much fun online! If only the newer CoD games could return to the form of the war games, which I enjoy more. Expand
  9. Jul 14, 2014
    This is one of the best call of duty games that not only tries to focus on making the campaign really great but also by making the multiplayer really great. Zombies is a great addition for multiplayer and campaign can get a bit boring after awhile. The story is the best I have seen in a world war 2 game and the graphics are great.
  10. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 9.0 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 9.0 Fun/Story: 7.8

A consistent and solid FPS. Great graphics and maps design. Perhaps it should be more polished to get higher score.
  11. Feb 8, 2014
    I don't think Activision have every had a History lesson at school in their lives. This game is unbelievably inaccurate (even though it is set in a real event) and the characters are so unloveable. They could all die in warfare and I would be happy, as the game would be over. Every gun feels the same. I don't know if it's my copy of the game, but it has no save feature. WHY DO THEY EXPECTI don't think Activision have every had a History lesson at school in their lives. This game is unbelievably inaccurate (even though it is set in a real event) and the characters are so unloveable. They could all die in warfare and I would be happy, as the game would be over. Every gun feels the same. I don't know if it's my copy of the game, but it has no save feature. WHY DO THEY EXPECT ME TO WANT TO COMPLETE THIS WHOLE **** GAME IN ONE SITTING. It would be ok if the game was any good, but it isn't. Zombies is unlockable, which again isn't a big problem, but in this case it is because, again, THERES NO SAVE FEATURE! Expand
  12. Jan 19, 2014
    I didn't play this game very long, I shot one guy in the head then my screen was cluttered with a notice telling me what I had just done with points underneath, I don't want my immersion taken away by on screen numberwang. This game took a tired concept and made it worse with no efforts to do anything good with the franchise. This game was truly the final nail in the COD coffin.
  13. Dec 31, 2013
    At first I was confused as to why they returned to WWII in the Call of Duty series, but it's not a bad thing at all that they did. World at War is probably, in my opinion, the 2nd best or possibly best of the series. It remained basically the same in multiplayer, adding a few new things, but it's still very fun. The single player is pretty good, but I think the game really shines with theAt first I was confused as to why they returned to WWII in the Call of Duty series, but it's not a bad thing at all that they did. World at War is probably, in my opinion, the 2nd best or possibly best of the series. It remained basically the same in multiplayer, adding a few new things, but it's still very fun. The single player is pretty good, but I think the game really shines with the brand new Co-op campaign, with a scoring system, and the Nazi Zombies. I loved playing through the campaign with friends, and I loved zombies. Zombies was obviously great because of its originality and also because it's still around in the series in the new games, or at least versions of it are.

World at War gets an 8.8/10
  14. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is fantastic. It is by far the best Call of Duty game. The multiplayer is as balanced and fair as any other CoD game, besides MW2 (MW2 didn't have balanced Multiplayer). The campaign is a very detailed and gritty representation of the actual events of world war 2. Another great part of the campaign is the expendable friendly A.I, as any generic Private Joe Average can be gunnedThis game is fantastic. It is by far the best Call of Duty game. The multiplayer is as balanced and fair as any other CoD game, besides MW2 (MW2 didn't have balanced Multiplayer). The campaign is a very detailed and gritty representation of the actual events of world war 2. Another great part of the campaign is the expendable friendly A.I, as any generic Private Joe Average can be gunned down by the ever-adapting enemy without a second thought. This makes tactical gameplay a necessity. Overall, this is one of the best shooters on any console, and any negative assessment of the game doesn't do it nearly enough justice. Expand
  15. Dec 7, 2013
    Campaign is really good. I love playin Coop. I love this game. This game, Modernwarfare2 and Modernwarfare are the only ones that I've played that aren't copy cats.
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

17. Nov 18, 2013
    The pinnacle of the Call of Duty franchise. It all went downhill from there. Honestly, I enjoyed the crap out of this game and still do now 5 years later. It makes me feel old.
  18. Jul 1, 2013
    While WW2 games are a dime a dozen on the original Xbox and Xbox 360, this game is really good. The single player game is fairly long and you play as several different soldiers in different armies. The multiplayer was really good. Maps are small, but fun. Zombies is one of the best features of this game. I actually prefer this zombies mode to the later versions because it is simplerWhile WW2 games are a dime a dozen on the original Xbox and Xbox 360, this game is really good. The single player game is fairly long and you play as several different soldiers in different armies. The multiplayer was really good. Maps are small, but fun. Zombies is one of the best features of this game. I actually prefer this zombies mode to the later versions because it is simpler and easier to play. The later zombie modes in Black Ops 1 and 2 become overly complex and too gimmicky with all the different power ups. Expand
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    The game may tread too deep into some decidedly grim territory at times, but "Call Of Duty: World At War" still makes for an impactful WWII shooter with some awesome gameplay additions to the franchise.
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    Just picked this up again after years of modern shooters. I forgot how much I enjoyed the WW2 setting and guns. Even after all this time, it is still an amazing shooter. And who don't love popping Nazi zombie heads.
  21. Jun 2, 2013
    I give this a 10 because to me, it's right under CoD 4. It went back to the roots of where Call of Duty started. WWII. To me, the campaign was not boring it was action packed and a lot of fun because at the end you unlocked the zombies. Now to the zombies. First map was fun for what it was. 2nd map I didn't like because I was bad at it. 3rd map loved the swam because there was what? 4I give this a 10 because to me, it's right under CoD 4. It went back to the roots of where Call of Duty started. WWII. To me, the campaign was not boring it was action packed and a lot of fun because at the end you unlocked the zombies. Now to the zombies. First map was fun for what it was. 2nd map I didn't like because I was bad at it. 3rd map loved the swam because there was what? 4 paths to choose, and finally we Der Riese. The best zombies map until this very day. That's what draw us towards the characters you saw in Black Ops as well. I know we saw them in Shi no numa, but I think they had better lines in Der Riese. I'm sure all of us had a favorite. My was Nikolai and the doctor. Der Riese introduced the monkey bombs and the pack-a-punch. You had to connect the teleporters to the main frame to get it. I just love this game. A lot of people don't like this game or the multiplayer. The multiplayer of course was awesome to me. The maps were fine as is. Some of the dlc maps were a little too much or too little, but the gameplay made up for it. I really enjoyed this game and I still play it till this day even though it's hacked and stuff, but when you get into a "good" lobby, it's a lot of fun. Expand
  22. May 28, 2013
    I like the veteran playthrough, like it. haven't play co-op, zombie, and multiplayer that much. the 7 is mainly for the satisfaction after finishing the game on veteran.
  23. May 26, 2013
    Treyarch might be one of my favorite game company for this. This is the most bloody, exciting, and explosive Call of Duty since Finest Hour and Medal of Honor! Its just to bad this is the last WWII CoD in the franchise.
  24. May 12, 2013
    The Campaign on this game is EPIC!!!

If you are looking for a cheap game, with a great campaign pick this! It is also great playing a game about the Eastern front during WW2 (Which is normally ignored in the West). Anyone who knows History knows that the Eastern front dwarfs the Allied operations in Europe. You get to play in STALINGRAD! Many parts of the game seem based on
    The Campaign on this game is EPIC!!!

If you are looking for a cheap game, with a great campaign pick this!

You get to play in STALINGRAD!

Many parts of the game seem based on the Movie 'Enemy at the Gates' which is great, but if you also read Anthony Beevor's 'Stalingrad' book then play this you will be immersed in the game on a whole new level.

Unfortunately the Multiplayer has been destroyed by idiots who hack and cheat, I don't know why they do it esp on a game of this age (Not like it is MLG wannabe's?) I do not know, but they have ruined the online play.
    Still co op campaign though which actually increases the difficulty to account for the extra human player!
    Very challenging to beat it on Veteran, but a great feeling when you do.

The last CoD that was any decent.

7/10 would recommend you spend £10-15 no more for this!
  25. Apr 28, 2013
    Wow...this game is brutal. It literally opens with a guy getting a cigarette rammed in his eye then having his throat slit spraying blood everywhere.
    I think that this game gets dark and gritty much better than the more recent Cod games (Which is ironic considering who makes them). Whilst the two campaigns (Russian and American) aren't that long they are still enjoyable. Also most of the performances are really good most of the time.
    The multiplayer is enjoyable but hackers run rampant so that sucks.
    Also this game introduces Zombies which I'm glad for because it is brilliant.
    So yes I definitely recommend this game.
  26. Mar 17, 2013
    I adore this game because it introduced zombies in which Created the COD series even futher, but really Blops 1 and 2 where mistakes. Amazing game and always will be, and always will be Mw3, Blops 1 and 2.
  27. Mar 16, 2013
    Call of Duty World at War is probably my favorite in the Call of Duty series (tied with Call of Duty 2) as I prefer the WW2 setting to the other settings the games have taken place in, World at War features a decent campaign which will last about 4-6 hours, but the real meat of the game comes from it's multiplayer which can give a lot of fun and replay value, It has some balancing issuesCall of Duty World at War is probably my favorite in the Call of Duty series (tied with Call of Duty 2) as I prefer the WW2 setting to the other settings the games have taken place in, World at War features a decent campaign which will last about 4-6 hours, but the real meat of the game comes from it's multiplayer which can give a lot of fun and replay value, It has some balancing issues and some of the maps are too big leading to times when you can't find enemies but overall these issues are not as bad of issues as some of the more recent Call of Duty games have had, I'm not sure if people still play World at War online anymore but if they do then I consider this one of the better Call of Duty games, more recent games have lost there appeal due to the annual releases in my opinion, But this was one of the last call of duty games I played and it's a good game, with solid single player campaign, fun multiplayer and the awesome co-op zombies survival mode, Whether you play alone or with a group of friends, this game can give you hours and hours of fun. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    On a technical level World at War is arguably the least accomplished of the Call of Duty titles and yet another return to World War II setting certainly meant the single player campaign could be a bit of a chore to play through. Since the now overused online multiplayer formula was still fairly fresh at the time however it was still very easy to lose days, even weeks, competing on XboxOn a technical level World at War is arguably the least accomplished of the Call of Duty titles and yet another return to World War II setting certainly meant the single player campaign could be a bit of a chore to play through. Since the now overused online multiplayer formula was still fairly fresh at the time however it was still very easy to lose days, even weeks, competing on Xbox live. As a result World at War was still a worthy purchase at the time even if it has now been truly overshadowed by better entries in the series. Expand
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    My favourite Call of Duty game. The simplicity of CoD4 plus the awesome maps and WW2 atmosphere makes for a very, very fun MP game. It may not be addictive as, say, MW2, but the fun factor more than makes up for that.
  30. Nov 28, 2012
    This game has some good ideas such as zombies which makes ppl get hard but some of the maps are kinda gay and the tanks are overpowered . The dogs get kind of annoying and sniping doesnt exist in this game
  31. Nov 23, 2012
    World at War is definitely my favorite Call of Duty game. The multiplayer maps are varied and unique, and the same can be said for the guns. While the MP40 holds an advantage over the other guns because it is the easiest to use effectively, a skilled player can do well using almost any weapon they like. World at War is currently the only Call of Duty game with a co-op campaign, which makesWorld at War is definitely my favorite Call of Duty game. The multiplayer maps are varied and unique, and the same can be said for the guns. While the MP40 holds an advantage over the other guns because it is the easiest to use effectively, a skilled player can do well using almost any weapon they like. World at War is currently the only Call of Duty game with a co-op campaign, which makes the already exciting missions even more enjoyable if you play them with a friend. Zombies is also fun, although it is a little simpler in World at War than in Black Ops. If you like Call of Duty but feel like the recent installments have grown stale, try World at War. It's the most unique, and also one of the very best (if not THE best). Expand
  32. Nov 4, 2012
    Second best Cod game ever(slightley beaten by cod 4 mw1) Campaigns great, mulitplayers epic and zombie is awesome. Cods suck now a days but the good ones will never be forgotten. Call of Duty: World at War 9.3/10
  33. Aug 8, 2012
    This was my first call of duty game, and I definitely enjoyed it, the maps were great, the connection wasn't too bad, and the general feel of it was good, and made the game very enjoyable, the game was later ruined by hackers however, and I blame Treyarch for not fixing these errors as multiplayer lobbies are still full of hackers who cannot die. The singleplayer wasn't too bad either, youThis was my first call of duty game, and I definitely enjoyed it, the maps were great, the connection wasn't too bad, and the general feel of it was good, and made the game very enjoyable, the game was later ruined by hackers however, and I blame Treyarch for not fixing these errors as multiplayer lobbies are still full of hackers who cannot die. The singleplayer wasn't too bad either, you took your place in the war, but that's all it felt like really, you were just a soldier, no real significance. Expand
  34. Jul 21, 2012
    I thought this game was great! It was my first CoD so i may be a bit biased but people need to stop comparing CoD 4 to every other Cod game. Cod 4 was great during its time period but other games have moved on and stepped up so we can't judge the next versions by it.
    Besides all that i commend Treyarch for going back to WW2 as many FPS these days tend to stray away from that area. I felt that Zombies was a brilliant feature and one which has gone on to become on the most popular features of CoD. Of course the game wasn't perfect and there were some glitches and perhaps some gun and perk balancing issues (MP40, Juggernaut) but on the whole it's a fun game to play. And if you can find an un-modded lobby you should have some fun in the tanks and just playing in general.
  35. Jul 18, 2012
    The story of this game just doesn't particularly stand out from any other FPS game, and the multiplayer doesn't live up to what was left by Infinity Ward in Modern Warfare. However, despite being an average game in the previous respects, the innovative zombies mode and the way it is incorporated into the game make this a stand out title among others.
  36. Jul 15, 2012
    Great Game like Black Ops but better. this game is a must have. It even has Zombie mode. And Multiplayer with Xbox Live. The price is even really great for the game.
  37. May 26, 2012
    Call of Duty World at War is my second favorite FPS of all time. In first place? Call of Duty 3. Lately, most of the CoD games that have come out have been absolutely terrible. It seems that the series died with the horrible Modern Warfare 2, arguably the worst FPS in the past ten years with only Modern Warfare 3 to compete with that title. World at War delivers an intense, realistic WWIICall of Duty World at War is my second favorite FPS of all time. In first place? Call of Duty 3. Lately, most of the CoD games that have come out have been absolutely terrible. It seems that the series died with the horrible Modern Warfare 2, arguably the worst FPS in the past ten years with only Modern Warfare 3 to compete with that title. World at War delivers an intense, realistic WWII campaign through the eyes of the brave yet insane Soviet Red Army and through the patriotic eyes of the US Marines. The multiplayer is balanced (all except for the MP40) and is now riddled with modders, yet it is still enjoyable. The zombies easter egg is also a fun bonus, and the game was all around a fun way to spend an hour or two at night. Expand
  38. Mar 31, 2012
    Takes the same great formula for gameplay from cod4, and uses the same great multiplayer. The campaign is also great following two fronts of the war that were not focused on by other ww2 games. It creates and gore filled horror of war that is not seen in any other cod, and creates a visual of a hellish experience. It took the modern eleiments from cod4 and put it into a ww2 game withTakes the same great formula for gameplay from cod4, and uses the same great multiplayer. The campaign is also great following two fronts of the war that were not focused on by other ww2 games. It creates and gore filled horror of war that is not seen in any other cod, and creates a visual of a hellish experience. It took the modern eleiments from cod4 and put it into a ww2 game with little troubles. It is taking from another formula, but the formula is still almost perfect for this style of game so I don't criticize Treyarch much for this. A great experience all around Expand
  39. Mar 20, 2012
    By far my least favourite of the 'modern' call of duty series (post COD3, that is). I never felt the campaign really took off. The story was good, but it never met the expectations I had after COD4. The multiplayer was sub-par compare to modern warfare as well, leaving zombies as the only new and redeeming feature. This game laid the groundwork for what become Black Ops, but it neverBy far my least favourite of the 'modern' call of duty series (post COD3, that is). I never felt the campaign really took off. The story was good, but it never met the expectations I had after COD4. The multiplayer was sub-par compare to modern warfare as well, leaving zombies as the only new and redeeming feature. This game laid the groundwork for what become Black Ops, but it never really satisfies on a game level. It's merely sandwiched between multiple great games on either side, and comes out average. Expand
  40. Feb 20, 2012
    And yet again we see another generic shooter. This, is actually the best CoD game out there. I enjoyed it... For a while. After finishing the campaign there was nothing more to do. Yeah, there is Nazi Zombies, but it's crap to play it alone. The online? Oh man, don't get me started at that BORE...
  41. Feb 5, 2012
    fun, better zomibes than black ops but in 2011(not sure when you will be reading this) the hackers got a hold of it and 4/12 people are invinible, but the zombies is really great
  42. Jan 15, 2012
    Excellent single player and the multiplayer WAS good in its time. No longer though. Every lobby has hackers running around with "god mode" enabled and Tryarch will not do anything about it.
  43. Jan 3, 2012
    great game but the multiplayer is full of hackers and people flying around with unlimited health so dont get this game for the multipIayer. I cant describe the single player as i havent played it through. The best part of the game is the zombies,you play through waves defeating zombies that come through baricades,unfortunately if you want more zombie maps you have to buy them from the xboxgreat game but the multiplayer is full of hackers and people flying around with unlimited health so dont get this game for the multipIayer. I cant describe the single player as i havent played it through. The best part of the game is the zombies,you play through waves defeating zombies that come through baricades,unfortunately if you want more zombie maps you have to buy them from the xbox live marketplace but overall great graphics and great gameplay! Used to be a great game before it got taken over by hackers, would be good if treyarch got rid of them. Expand
  44. Nov 15, 2011
    Let's get things straight. The multiplayer is an absolute JOKE. Dogs are overpowered, artillery is awful coz it shakes the screen so much. Not to mention some of the useless perks and guns. The campaign has a poor story, nothing links together and the levels aren't particularly well designed. Veteran difficulty is also a joke, due to the infinite grenade-spamming AI, but is do-able. Still,Let's get things straight. The multiplayer is an absolute JOKE. Dogs are overpowered, artillery is awful coz it shakes the screen so much. Not to mention some of the useless perks and guns. The campaign has a poor story, nothing links together and the levels aren't particularly well designed. Veteran difficulty is also a joke, due to the infinite grenade-spamming AI, but is do-able. Still, zombies is fun. It's not a "GOOD" game, it's just enjoyable if you can manage to not take it seriously. This game still puzzles me in a way. It seems like 3arc have put zero effort into the multiplayer, judging from the imbalanced perks (who uses flak jacket or shades when you can have juggernaut or stopping power?), some of the stupidly under-powered weapons, the worst hit detection ever and of course, the MP40 Juggernoobs. Small wonder how most people stay serious on Modern Warfare and come on this for a mess-around. The multiplayer is poorly designed not just in balancing but there's plenty of lag as well. Where this game shows its ingenuity is in the zombie maps. Even though the original was meant to be just a mini-game, it's turned into something bigger and inspired other game developers to think more carefully before discarding the idea of a horde/survival mode. I've played all the maps on PS3 and I can tell you, they are so well designed. The windows, doors, cost of buying... everything is so strategically done and it all makes sense. Shame about the campaign which feels soulless and the pathetic online which isn't even worth complaining about, but just to have a good laugh at. Expand
  45. Nov 10, 2011
    Terrible gameplay, terrible multiplayer, terrible interface. Nothing like Call of Duty 4. I shelved this game quickly and moved back to Call of Duty 4.
  46. Nov 8, 2011
    "Call of Duty: World at War" has everything wrong. The textures are muddy and dirty as well as the sneaky, invincible AI. The story is good, but TOO linear. Especially after playing this game on Xbox for a brief period, I realized this game isn't for the Xbox; it's not meant to be. In my opinion the PC version was better with plenty of swag, so if you really want to play this piece of"Call of Duty: World at War" has everything wrong. The textures are muddy and dirty as well as the sneaky, invincible AI. The story is good, but TOO linear. Especially after playing this game on Xbox for a brief period, I realized this game isn't for the Xbox; it's not meant to be. In my opinion the PC version was better with plenty of swag, so if you really want to play this piece of junk, at least buy it on PC or Playstation. Expand
  47. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 8
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 7.5/10 = B
  48. Sep 21, 2011
    By far one of my top favorite Call of Duty games, and the best World War 2 game I've played yet. The campaign is what did it for me, the fist five minutes of the game, I was in awe of the epic game play, and battlefield that I was playing in.
  49. Aug 17, 2011
    Let's put it this way: i felt like crying when this game was killed by hackers. By far it was the best Call of Duty game, and you know what? Haters gawn' hate.
  50. Jul 12, 2011
    To a lot of people this may not be the best Call of Duty, but to me it is definitely one of the best. The campaign is fun, especially playing co op mode with friends. The best thing about this game though is definitely the zombie mode. The maps are great, with an amazing layout. Definitely better than the black ops zombie mode. This is a game worth getting.
  51. Apr 26, 2011
    Entertaining but perhaps not the best one in the series. The mechanic is equal to MW ,the campaign nice . The game gives the same feature that all the cod game has only in a ugly way that I dint expected weird not satisfying multiplayer . Also it includes the famous zombies that made treyarch famous and the only positive feature that i think that is great, also original. Such a let downEntertaining but perhaps not the best one in the series. The mechanic is equal to MW ,the campaign nice . The game gives the same feature that all the cod game has only in a ugly way that I dint expected weird not satisfying multiplayer . Also it includes the famous zombies that made treyarch famous and the only positive feature that i think that is great, also original. Such a let down for a great franchise. Expand
  52. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is fun; the campaign can be played with 3 other people with various 'death cards' enabled to make all the enemies zombies or give you temporary invincibility after getting 3 kills in short time, with competitive scoring to try and get the highest score by the end of each chapter. It makes the campaign far more interesting, but it isn't bad on its own. The zombies level is quiteThis game is fun; the campaign can be played with 3 other people with various 'death cards' enabled to make all the enemies zombies or give you temporary invincibility after getting 3 kills in short time, with competitive scoring to try and get the highest score by the end of each chapter. It makes the campaign far more interesting, but it isn't bad on its own. The zombies level is quite simple but brilliant, surviving infinite waves of increasingly hardy zombie foes in a spooky building; get enough points and you can advance to a new area and gain access to the mystery box and get a new weapon, which could be a sniper rifle or a heavy machine gun depending on your luck. You can buy decent weapons off the walls, but getting a good weapon from the box is essential to exceed round 15. The multiplayer is good old Call of Duty; although it's essentially a WW2 mod of COD4, with new killstreaks, guns and map but pretty much the same perks. With the DLC support, zombies is hard to fault. 3/5, very good. Expand
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    By far my favorite Call of Duty game. The maps are wonderfully set up, the variety of weapons is great and kill streaks are set at great increments. MW2 and BO get me extremely aggravated due to camping and not having near as good of maps. The story isn't anything fantastic, but no one gets these for the story. I get the new Call of Duty every year and World at War is the only one I end upBy far my favorite Call of Duty game. The maps are wonderfully set up, the variety of weapons is great and kill streaks are set at great increments. MW2 and BO get me extremely aggravated due to camping and not having near as good of maps. The story isn't anything fantastic, but no one gets these for the story. I get the new Call of Duty every year and World at War is the only one I end up keeping and going back to time and time again. Expand
  54. Apr 14, 2011
    This game for me,is easily the best in the series of Call of Duty.I've always rated Treyarch over the overated 'Inferior' Ward.Though Black Ops was a big dissappointment for me,World at War is Treyarch at their best.Great variety of locations in the campaign,& VERY glad to finally see Campaign Co-Op in a Call of Duty game! & not just 2 player,but 4 Players at that! Not to mention ZombieThis game for me,is easily the best in the series of Call of Duty.I've always rated Treyarch over the overated 'Inferior' Ward.Though Black Ops was a big dissappointment for me,World at War is Treyarch at their best.Great variety of locations in the campaign,& VERY glad to finally see Campaign Co-Op in a Call of Duty game! & not just 2 player,but 4 Players at that! Not to mention Zombie Mode.Its even my favourate multiplayer in all the CoD series,actually having vehicles.I know CoD 3 also had vehicles(another Treyarch CoD),but it so much better implemented in World at War,with having to wear down & destroy tanks armour for instance.What else can i say,but Great Game! More Campaign Co-Op in Call of Duty though please.after all,these are 'Squad' games,with storys of Comradary.In fact,if i'm to buy any more CoD games in future,that is the MINIMUM requirment,or No sale! Expand
  55. Feb 20, 2011
    I enjoyed the single player campaign even though it suffers from the usuall treyach taint, it was still an enjoyable romp. The hit register sucks a big fat one which is to be expected see developer. online was a pain with the indestructible tanks the the poor weapon balance and bad hit register. But zombies makes up for a lot of the mp faults. certainly worth a weekend hire but not a lotI enjoyed the single player campaign even though it suffers from the usuall treyach taint, it was still an enjoyable romp. The hit register sucks a big fat one which is to be expected see developer. online was a pain with the indestructible tanks the the poor weapon balance and bad hit register. But zombies makes up for a lot of the mp faults. certainly worth a weekend hire but not a lot of replay value Expand
  56. Dec 20, 2010
    Call of Duty is going back to World War 2 with this game and it makes a memorable return, the campaign is short but tons of fun and challenging on the harder difficulties, the graphics are great and still impressive today, the controls haven't changed from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare because they don't need to, they are still one of the best controls out there, voice work is top notch,Call of Duty is going back to World War 2 with this game and it makes a memorable return, the campaign is short but tons of fun and challenging on the harder difficulties, the graphics are great and still impressive today, the controls haven't changed from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare because they don't need to, they are still one of the best controls out there, voice work is top notch, and multiplayer is just as good if not slightly better than Call of Duty 4, this one of the best games in the series and I would highly recomend it to any fan of the series Expand
  57. Nov 13, 2010
    Without a doubt, the worst Call of Duty game made to date. This is where things in the COD franchise started to collapse. COD games since WaW have been horrible such as Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. While MW2 is not quite as horrible but still, same as Black Ops which is only a tab bit better than Waw. The Multiplayer is filled with campers. The multiplayer is also as unbalanced as youWithout a doubt, the worst Call of Duty game made to date. This is where things in the COD franchise started to collapse. COD games since WaW have been horrible such as Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. While MW2 is not quite as horrible but still, same as Black Ops which is only a tab bit better than Waw. The Multiplayer is filled with campers. The multiplayer is also as unbalanced as you can expect from COD to date. The Campaign is as beyond retarded (which what you can except from Call of Duty). I've never played a game that's so bad, that I wanted to die. I'm dead serious. Expand
  58. Oct 29, 2010
    Treyarch are right on the money (if Activision aren't already on it anyway!) as this is a great installment to the CoD series and Treyarch can pat themselves on the back after a job very well done...The campaign portrays war in its true state: desperate, scary and gruesome and this is such a great part and experience and we really hope we can expect more campaigns of this nature in futureTreyarch are right on the money (if Activision aren't already on it anyway!) as this is a great installment to the CoD series and Treyarch can pat themselves on the back after a job very well done...The campaign portrays war in its true state: desperate, scary and gruesome and this is such a great part and experience and we really hope we can expect more campaigns of this nature in future games by Treyarch such as this year's Black Ops... The online has picked up on the CoD series' weaknesses. Small maps and no vehicles in previous games could sometimes leave gamers wanting more! Never fear, maps like "Seelow" are large and tanks are bound to shake up the game a bit! Finally, zombies - A great part of the game and we really do look forward to seeing them return in Black Ops! Expand
  59. Sep 30, 2010
    This game is simply brilliant. The campaign is the best of the series, Modern Warfare included. Why? Because even though it's not it's own original story it tells the story of world war 2 brilliantly through great cutscenes and in game dialog. The characters are fleshed, and the voice acting and guns feel very authentic. Mission design is incredible, the Japanese missions are brilliant,This game is simply brilliant. The campaign is the best of the series, Modern Warfare included. Why? Because even though it's not it's own original story it tells the story of world war 2 brilliantly through great cutscenes and in game dialog. The characters are fleshed, and the voice acting and guns feel very authentic. Mission design is incredible, the Japanese missions are brilliant, with me feeling as if these people were really willing this much to die for their country. Gameplay is funner than MW and MW2, and Nazi Zombies is a fun way to kick back and reward you after beating the game. The final Russian missions are also brilliant. Expand
  60. Aug 23, 2010
    Modern warfare was a great game that left gamers wanting more... Unfortunately they did not get more with WAW, it was just a typical WW2 game with a crappy campaign with co-op. Multiplayer sucked where if you didn't buy the map packs it would kick you out of tons of games and the only good thing about the game was nazi zombies. I traded mine in 1 year ago. I give this fail game a 6.5
  61. Aug 18, 2010
    This game is awesome in many ways. Yes, it may be away from the game Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but this video game is one of the best WWII video games ever!!
  62. GB
    Jan 12, 2010
    I am confused by the negative reaction from some MW fans - I liked the single-player campaign only slightly less than MW's (i.e. a LOT). I think that it does the right thing by mainly sticking to the core gameplay that COD can do well: gradually battling point-by-point through fierce resistance, taking cover and looking for advantageous positions. For me, MW2 has too many distracting I am confused by the negative reaction from some MW fans - I liked the single-player campaign only slightly less than MW's (i.e. a LOT). I think that it does the right thing by mainly sticking to the core gameplay that COD can do well: gradually battling point-by-point through fierce resistance, taking cover and looking for advantageous positions. For me, MW2 has too many distracting novelties and not enough of the good stuff. I think Treyarch made a good call, though most of the online opinion seems to the contrary. Rolling about in a cumbersome tank is alright for five minutes but it's not a quality tank sim; it's just garnish. If I'd have to go white-water rafting as well, like at the end of MW2 I'd only have scored it an 8. Also, the guns are balanced so the PPSh-41 is just as satisfying to use as the P90. And the flamethrower rocks. Come on people. Expand
  63. [anonymous]
    Dec 27, 2009
    The best single player campeign in the entire francize, really good sound and graphics like all the others, and Nazi Zombies is the best DLC ever. FYI I haven't played any multiplayer.
  64. JakeS
    Nov 28, 2009
    I very much believe that Treyarch borrowed heavily from Call of Duty 4, but why mess with near-perfection? Would you have rather had Treyarch construct a completely new and different experience, at the chance of sure failure due to the flawlessness of its predecessor? Personally, I think they made a wise decision in implementing the CoD 4 multiplayer, using the same engine, and basically I very much believe that Treyarch borrowed heavily from Call of Duty 4, but why mess with near-perfection? Would you have rather had Treyarch construct a completely new and different experience, at the chance of sure failure due to the flawlessness of its predecessor? Personally, I think they made a wise decision in implementing the CoD 4 multiplayer, using the same engine, and basically throwing a WWII paint job ontop of it. I can honestly say this game kept me engaged for a YEAR. Yes, I bought this game and didn't buy another game until Modern Warfare 2 came out, so if you are a WWII aficiando BUY THIS GAME. Even though the campaign is mostly awful save for a few interesting levels, like Vendetta and the Tank levels, you WILL love the Nazi Zombie and Multiplayer for much time to come. Treyarch added a huge amount of DLC (for a price, of course) that will keep you in it for a while! Expand
  65. [ANONYMOUS]
    Nov 8, 2009
    My friend invited me over to play this game, after playing call of duty 4 I thought it must be pretty good. Oh god, was I wrong. The graphics were bad for last gen, and the sound was not realistic at all. The online took forever to find a match, unlike in its predecessor in which it took barely any time at all. The aspect I've heard is amazing the "Nazi Zombies" was a real My friend invited me over to play this game, after playing call of duty 4 I thought it must be pretty good. Oh god, was I wrong. The graphics were bad for last gen, and the sound was not realistic at all. The online took forever to find a match, unlike in its predecessor in which it took barely any time at all. The aspect I've heard is amazing the "Nazi Zombies" was a real disappointment. If you want Call Of Duty, get 4, or WF2. Do not buy this game. Expand
  66. LorenzoC
    Oct 18, 2009
    Call of Duty world at War is the best Second World War Play, it have a very intresting and concern campaign with the new japanese front, it's very intresting the possibility of do the cooperative campaign online and offline, the local multiplayer is fun, the multiplayer on internet is one of the best multiplayer in all game, because there aren't many connesion problems, there areCall of Duty world at War is the best Second World War Play, it have a very intresting and concern campaign with the new japanese front, it's very intresting the possibility of do the cooperative campaign online and offline, the local multiplayer is fun, the multiplayer on internet is one of the best multiplayer in all game, because there aren't many connesion problems, there are many maps and arms (is very fun you can add at the arms many bonus and improvements) and the last map pack can position Cod WaW in the top of multiplayer games. The grafic is the best of all war games, the possibility of have damage product by explosion and army in the body is very realistic, other than damage also the arm and maps grafic are good, i hope treyarch in the future game add the destroiable ground in all the maps. I think also have a good succes nazi zombies, with also two ggod
    map packs and new obiectives. So i think Call of Duty 5 can have more than 90 %.
  67. CombatWombat
    Sep 10, 2009
    I'm not going to lie and say this is the best game ever but it's far better than MW which I was bored with after reaching level 10 or 11 online. I always found that MW was too focused on fast-paced action which was down more to reaction time than skill whereas WAW has guns that require something called accuracy. Another bonus is killing people who think they can play in the same I'm not going to lie and say this is the best game ever but it's far better than MW which I was bored with after reaching level 10 or 11 online. I always found that MW was too focused on fast-paced action which was down more to reaction time than skill whereas WAW has guns that require something called accuracy. Another bonus is killing people who think they can play in the same way as MW and are drastically wrong. Collapse
  68. ChrisI
    Sep 9, 2009
    World at War is a competent, fun shooter. Call of Duty 4 is an excellent, well thought out, amazing example of the genre. The thing that separates Modern Warfare from World at War is how they're done, the campaign in particular. MW is an entirely original war drama, while WaW is a smarmy, we beat the Nazis, we've all been here before, cash in on history's greatest conflict. World at War is a competent, fun shooter. Call of Duty 4 is an excellent, well thought out, amazing example of the genre. The thing that separates Modern Warfare from World at War is how they're done, the campaign in particular. MW is an entirely original war drama, while WaW is a smarmy, we beat the Nazis, we've all been here before, cash in on history's greatest conflict. That's not to say WaW's campaign is bad. It's a fun experience from start to finish. As with MW, the multiplayer is where this game truly shines. It's marginally expanded on MW, but that's because there's no camouflages and there's 65 levels. World of War is average. Run of the mill. Because it's done nothing but re-skin Modern Warfare. In fact, this game comes off as more of a mod, than a play-it-safe wanna be. It's worth a buy. Expand
  69. BryceR.
    Aug 15, 2009
    This personally is a great FPS game. The settings, graphics, weapons, gameplay are all awesome. The campaign is good and the multiplayer online is fast and fun. Nazi zombies is such a fun game to play with all your mates over! Yes this and CoD 4 are pretty much exactly the same but they are totally different in a way. Totally different maps a different story line and plus nazi zombies in This personally is a great FPS game. The settings, graphics, weapons, gameplay are all awesome. The campaign is good and the multiplayer online is fast and fun. Nazi zombies is such a fun game to play with all your mates over! Yes this and CoD 4 are pretty much exactly the same but they are totally different in a way. Totally different maps a different story line and plus nazi zombies in CoD 5 is something to look forward to after completing the campaign. Overall i loved it! Expand
  70. chrish.
    Aug 14, 2009
    This is one of the best first person shooters of all time. Call of Duty 4 had better gameplay and graphics, but the WW2 game is a more interesting play for me. i cant wait for Call of Duty 6
  71. KyleM.
    Aug 12, 2009
    Call Of Duty 4 was considered perfect: World at War took Moden Warfare's few flaws and fixed them, as well as delving deeper into techincal aspects such as sound. Despite a campaign that can be frustrating, World at War is the best Call of Duty to date.
  72. JoshuaE
    Jul 28, 2009
    Call of duty 4, was an amazingly well built game from the graphics to the game play, to the setting were amazing, but from the switch to WW2 Treyarch has changed very little of this only fixing a few things that were slightly bad on call of duty 4, please for anyone looking to buy a good game for your console buy Call of duty 4, only buy WAW if your truly bored of call of duty 4 and Call of duty 4, was an amazingly well built game from the graphics to the game play, to the setting were amazing, but from the switch to WW2 Treyarch has changed very little of this only fixing a few things that were slightly bad on call of duty 4, please for anyone looking to buy a good game for your console buy Call of duty 4, only buy WAW if your truly bored of call of duty 4 and looking for something else to keep you occupied while you wait for Modern Warfare 2, which hopefully will be an amazing game. Expand
  73. AustinM
    Jun 12, 2009
    This game was great, I'd say this game isn't worth more than $40 bucks though, which is the price i payed for it. I really have never seen a WWII game this intense, all the previous Call of Duty's never got it right I thought, this one got the violence and intensity down. The graphics are quite impressive, and very little glicthing every occured. The sounds in this game This game was great, I'd say this game isn't worth more than $40 bucks though, which is the price i payed for it. I really have never seen a WWII game this intense, all the previous Call of Duty's never got it right I thought, this one got the violence and intensity down. The graphics are quite impressive, and very little glicthing every occured. The sounds in this game could be better, but still good. Better than Big Red One's gun sounds. The Length isn't great either, but has good replay value, four difficulties, co-op mode, and Nazi Zombies. Which makes up for the short 6-8 hour campaign. There's a lot of weapons in this game, and the flamethrower is a great edition. This game is great fun, some annoying things though are the grenades, you'll get killed by them more than half the time, and everytime I see one I have to run for my life, or take the risk of throwing it back. The grenades in Call of Duty 3, weren't dangerous at all, even on Hard. The A.I. are actually quite useful, they kill guys, and don't get in your way as much as previous Call of Duty's. I recommend this game, and it's a blast to play with buddies, and don't let the negatives change your mind about it. But Modern Warfare 2 is going to come out and everyone will be over this one, but this will satisfy your Call of Duty hunger until then. There's also a graphic content filter, I played with the graphic content off, and they blur the graphic stuff in the cutscenes, take out all of the language, and take away the blood completely, so this is an okay game for your kids to play as long as you leave off the graphic stuff. Expand
  74. RowanF
    Jun 4, 2009
    Had this come out all on it's lonesome without COD: 4 behind it, it would have been a truly revolutionary, amazing, perfect war game, finally ditching the same uninteresting, uninspiring sections of the war pervious games have stuck to, and for the first time actualy managing to capture an epic slice of the action. However, as it is, all Treyarch have done is rip off COD: 4, which Had this come out all on it's lonesome without COD: 4 behind it, it would have been a truly revolutionary, amazing, perfect war game, finally ditching the same uninteresting, uninspiring sections of the war pervious games have stuck to, and for the first time actualy managing to capture an epic slice of the action. However, as it is, all Treyarch have done is rip off COD: 4, which completely invalidates the game for me. Sure, you've put WW2 games back on the map, but that's not because you're good game developers with any good ideas or imagination, it's simply because you can get away with stealing ideas from Infinity Ward because you're both working under the same franchise. The mulitplayer, the idea of perks, the split character campaign, the graphic stlye, the gameplay style, the airborn level, even the bloody loading screens are all COMPLETE copies of COD: 4. The only thing Treyarch have actualy done on their own is fix a few tiny issues from the first game. Ok, so I have to admit that they did a magnificent job of copying it, but it's still is realy just COD: 4 under a different heading, and to be honest, COD: 4 is a much better game. If you havent palyed COD: 4 yet, stop even considering buying WAW and go and get COD: 4 now. If you have played COD: 4 then I suppose that this will supply you with a bit more of the action you loved, but you just can't escape the feeling that you've been here before. Expand
  75. robertn
    May 21, 2009
    The first thing that really ticked me off on this game is the sound. the sound sucks. Most games don't even have to try and you can have decent sound. A few games stand out with excellent sound like Dead Space. Even fewer have BAD sound. this game does. its lame, but the guns sound like paint ball guns. and its ruins the game for me. Shooting old WW2 is so much fun. The M1, the The first thing that really ticked me off on this game is the sound. the sound sucks. Most games don't even have to try and you can have decent sound. A few games stand out with excellent sound like Dead Space. Even fewer have BAD sound. this game does. its lame, but the guns sound like paint ball guns. and its ruins the game for me. Shooting old WW2 is so much fun. The M1, the Tompson. MP40. classic guns, with great destintive sounds to them. Call of 2 did it perfectly, call of duty 3 was worse but not this bad. The strange thing, the same company that made this game and COD3 did worse this time around. The game play is good. not as good at 2 or 4, but still good. The graphics are pretty craptacluar, if you look at 4 which is at times photo realistic. My friends told me, you were disappointed in COD3, the same company made this one, don't get it. well I waited till I found it for 25 bucks, and I have to say I am still a little disappointed. Its worth a play through, and some online matches. but this is the last call of duty I swear I will ever buy from this developer. Expand
  76. GarryL
    May 11, 2009
    I have played every Call of Duty and plenty of FPS games, and regarding World at War I would have to agree with the critics as opposed to the user rating. I believe it has a solid single-player campaign, COD games usually lack a story but the action more than makes up for it. The graphics and effects are excellent, and the multi-player and co-op modes add a large amount of replay value. I have played every Call of Duty and plenty of FPS games, and regarding World at War I would have to agree with the critics as opposed to the user rating. I believe it has a solid single-player campaign, COD games usually lack a story but the action more than makes up for it. The graphics and effects are excellent, and the multi-player and co-op modes add a large amount of replay value. COD4 was also great, but the degree of low expectations by COD4 fans is not very fair, it seems many people refused to give World at War an unbiased review, in the same fashion as a xbox360 fan would give killzone 2 flak for no reason. There were glitches at launch and the campaign is frustrating at a few points. Give this game a chance, it's pretty fun. Expand
  77. JonK
    Mar 28, 2009
    Absolutely unbelievable game that grabs the gamer by the throat and doesn't let go until the Russian Flag is flying! I haven;t had this much fun with a game in a long time. I thought CoD4 was a masterpiece but my 'heart' has always belonged to WW2 and this game excels at bringing the gamer the sights and sounds of it convincingly! From the Japs shooting from tree tops, to Absolutely unbelievable game that grabs the gamer by the throat and doesn't let go until the Russian Flag is flying! I haven;t had this much fun with a game in a long time. I thought CoD4 was a masterpiece but my 'heart' has always belonged to WW2 and this game excels at bringing the gamer the sights and sounds of it convincingly! From the Japs shooting from tree tops, to them hiding in the grass preparing a BANZAI charge, this game has it all. Of note is the unbelievable Flamethrower effect that is stunning to look at! I was a little afraid when I heard that Treyarch was going to do this game. Only because of the HUGE SHOES that would need to be filled from Infinity Wards CoD. But Treyarch handled it and did it quite convincingly. Again, a great game that will have you playing it again, and again. Expand
  78. ColinC
    Mar 20, 2009
    A solid shooter. My biggest gripe is with the co-op though. Given a choice, I'll always play through a co-op game with a friend before even thinking of replaying by myself. But this co-op mode doesn't give you the option to play with any of the proper cutscenes, so you get none of the story. Gears of War 2 co-op and Halo did it right, letting you and a friend enjoy the story A solid shooter. My biggest gripe is with the co-op though. Given a choice, I'll always play through a co-op game with a friend before even thinking of replaying by myself. But this co-op mode doesn't give you the option to play with any of the proper cutscenes, so you get none of the story. Gears of War 2 co-op and Halo did it right, letting you and a friend enjoy the story unfolding together. And yes, I know Call of Duty isn't generally big on story, but still, I like at least a little context for the action I'm about to be engaged in. Infinity Ward (not to mention the developer of Killzone 2), I hope you're reading this. Don't strip the story out of co-op modes. At the very least, give us an option to watch with cutscenes or not. Expand
  79. tror123
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah this was really bad...a game that MOH had already put out years before it...I was expecting the same caliber cinematic feel as Modern Warfare...the fps controls were also out dated....Rainbow six bar none has the best FPS controls out in the market, including the 3rd person cover system.... I really did not like this game much after the 1st hour...Again another beautiful game with Yeah this was really bad...a game that MOH had already put out years before it...I was expecting the same caliber cinematic feel as Modern Warfare...the fps controls were also out dated....Rainbow six bar none has the best FPS controls out in the market, including the 3rd person cover system.... I really did not like this game much after the 1st hour...Again another beautiful game with horrible gameplay...also historically the japanese were cannibals and raped their captives...if they really wanted to capture horror that would have been incredibly cinematic. Expand
  80. JohnH
    Mar 12, 2009
    After spending almost a year enjoying CoD:4, I had high expectations for this game. As a long time Infinity Ward fan, I do not believe that Treyarch was able to deliver the goods with this game. I feel that all of the elements that made Modern Warfare an excellent shooter were recycled and put into a mediocre game that has the face of the famous CoD franchise, but nothing more. It's After spending almost a year enjoying CoD:4, I had high expectations for this game. As a long time Infinity Ward fan, I do not believe that Treyarch was able to deliver the goods with this game. I feel that all of the elements that made Modern Warfare an excellent shooter were recycled and put into a mediocre game that has the face of the famous CoD franchise, but nothing more. It's like Activision saw a golden nugget in the toilet and in a rushed attempted to do it again, they got a spew of diarrhea. Expand
    Mar 6, 2009
    Anyone who calls this a bad game is lying, but sadly, so is anyone who calls it the best game of the year. It's a good game, but has quite a few flaws. First off, the single player can range from too easy to deceptively frustrating at points, and the game will rub it in your face if you are killed by a grenade or tank. Secondly, it's not very compelling to play. If you start it Anyone who calls this a bad game is lying, but sadly, so is anyone who calls it the best game of the year. It's a good game, but has quite a few flaws. First off, the single player can range from too easy to deceptively frustrating at points, and the game will rub it in your face if you are killed by a grenade or tank. Secondly, it's not very compelling to play. If you start it up, you'll play for a good while, but after that, you'll play something else. It's a bit off-and-on. Also, it's a good WWII game, but I thought we were over that when Call of Duty 4 came around. But still, the gameplay is solid, the multiplayer can be fun, and it looks very nice, even at 60 FPS. In short, it's not necessary, but it's still pretty good. Expand
  82. SS
    Feb 27, 2009
    Call of Duty World at War is disappointing compared to it's predecessor: Call of Duty Modern Warfare.Most of the weapons have been used in countless times other first person shooter games. Also there is no option to save in Split-Screen co-op. Save your money and play Call of Duty 4.
  83. SeanB
    Feb 20, 2009
    A game which is hampered by its continuing delusion that World War II provides a compelling setting, World at War serves up the standard fare seen in the previous games (even going so far as to have the obligatory Normandy beach landing under a different banner), with its its tightly constructed set pieces seeming painfully contrived as a result. It's not that this is a bad game, but A game which is hampered by its continuing delusion that World War II provides a compelling setting, World at War serves up the standard fare seen in the previous games (even going so far as to have the obligatory Normandy beach landing under a different banner), with its its tightly constructed set pieces seeming painfully contrived as a result. It's not that this is a bad game, but rather, a game which is overshadowed by the far greater success of its post-modern sibling, and undercut by the plethora of prior art. Expand
  84. GavinA.
    Feb 15, 2009
    This gameis a compete repetitive piece of bulls*** compared to COd 4 what the hell were treyarch thinking about this game. Well done infinity ward for not protecting their online system from cod 4. COD 2 is even better than this it just another boring war game that will entertain the masses and then onn the relase of modern warfare 2 in Q4 this year 2009 will die in the preverbial game This gameis a compete repetitive piece of bulls*** compared to COd 4 what the hell were treyarch thinking about this game. Well done infinity ward for not protecting their online system from cod 4. COD 2 is even better than this it just another boring war game that will entertain the masses and then onn the relase of modern warfare 2 in Q4 this year 2009 will die in the preverbial game ing hell that it is. If you share my opiniion and will stick to Cod 4 heres my gamertag GavMan92 and we will have some proper Call odf Duty online fun. Expand
  85. RickR
    Feb 5, 2009
    Single Player -Too many Grenades -inconsistent difficulty. Hard and Veteran are too similar too each other, way harder than normal and not rewarding -routinely killed by unseen enemies -game saves that start with a grenade nearby and little or no warning -frustrating and not fun Multiplayer -tons of glitches and people using them -huge advantage to higher ranked players and advanced guns Single Player -Too many Grenades -inconsistent difficulty. Hard and Veteran are too similar too each other, way harder than normal and not rewarding -routinely killed by unseen enemies -game saves that start with a grenade nearby and little or no warning -frustrating and not fun Multiplayer -tons of glitches and people using them -huge advantage to higher ranked players and advanced guns -spawning is terrible. you will be respawned very close to the person you just killed (or killed you) -some unbalanced maps due to elevation changes -dogs are too powerful AND they point the enemy to your location -treyarch has taken over 3 months to patch with little to no communications Skip this game until it's patched and stick with COD4. Expand
  86. CS
    Jan 30, 2009
    Multiplayer is aggravating due to poor respawn mechanics and the terrible "dogs" bonus. Single-player at it's most difficult level is only difficult for how cheap you are killed. In comparison to COD4: Modern Warfare, the highest difficulty setting was extremely challenging but actually forced planned attacks. Modern Warfare is a crapshoot lottery. World at War offers a new veneer to Multiplayer is aggravating due to poor respawn mechanics and the terrible "dogs" bonus. Single-player at it's most difficult level is only difficult for how cheap you are killed. In comparison to COD4: Modern Warfare, the highest difficulty setting was extremely challenging but actually forced planned attacks. Modern Warfare is a crapshoot lottery. World at War offers a new veneer to COD4, but leaves behind the tactics of multiplayer, the urgency of the story in singleplayer, and is ultimately just another shooter. This is evidenced by the steeply declining users on the servers as well. Just buy COD 4. Expand
  87. AH.
    Jan 26, 2009
    The single player story failed to grab me. The visuals were impressive, but nothing about the game had me hooked. The multiplayer was good, but offered little improvement upon COD:4. I'll stick with Modern Warfare.
  88. DamianF
    Jan 4, 2009
    I can't believe how many negative comments are on here- have we been playing the same game? I absolutely LOVE COD4, and was a little apprehensive buying this, preparing myself for disappointment, but after less than five minutes all my initial reservations dissipated completely. This game KICKS arse!! Much more brutal than Modern Warfare, and with the best lighting effects I've I can't believe how many negative comments are on here- have we been playing the same game? I absolutely LOVE COD4, and was a little apprehensive buying this, preparing myself for disappointment, but after less than five minutes all my initial reservations dissipated completely. This game KICKS arse!! Much more brutal than Modern Warfare, and with the best lighting effects I've seen in a game so far (particularly on the first mission). BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  89. ChrisMcTear
    Jan 2, 2009
    Call of duty world at war single player was lots of fun. But the multi player sucked. It has all of the same perks as COD4. The multi player is the exact same as COD4 but with tanks that make it no fun. It is a wast of money i now just play COD4 instead of it.
  90. NickS
    Dec 31, 2008
    A complete step backwards from COD4 in every way... I hear about strategy??? there is none the maps are so big and you could get shot from anywhere so its pot luck, on cod4 they were at least designed so that enemies could come from certain directions and you could actually use some strategy to decide how to deal with them and vice versa. Tanks are a terrible addition and every time I see A complete step backwards from COD4 in every way... I hear about strategy??? there is none the maps are so big and you could get shot from anywhere so its pot luck, on cod4 they were at least designed so that enemies could come from certain directions and you could actually use some strategy to decide how to deal with them and vice versa. Tanks are a terrible addition and every time I see one I just have to hide and stop having fun(everyone just rushes for them at start). Dogs the same, back against a wall and shoot them and stop having fun(and 1 bite kills you?). Spawning into dogs and enemies is frequent and frustrating. Guns are clunky and most feel like they have some sort of bullet lag. Graphics LOOK slightly worse/more unscaled than previous game even though technically(native resolution) there not. Go offline to story... 1000GS in about 6-7 hours is stupid(no competitive online achievements) even with that veteran mode with its bad friendly AI always getting in your way and the constant grenades and the horribly scripted enemies that a 3 year old could script a more creative game than that(spawn here, go there etc x10 on most maps, bar the occasional slightly more interesting cod4 rip off mission), and then push up to cause the trigger point in which the same thing happens: some enemies stop spawning, some start, and your silly AI buddies push up (again a 3 year old could write a better script than that). Enemies wont try and be smart and flank you, there scripted to stand in there spots shooting you. So overall if you havnt played or the previous game didn't exist this game would get about a 7, but since absolutely everything has been unimproved and made worse than previous, it has to get a big fat 0. Lazy work treyarch. [PS: Last stand was the noobiest perk in cod4 and now it lasts a minute and you can be recovered... lol?] Expand
  91. JeffreyP
    Dec 30, 2008
    I borrowed this game from a friend, and it didn't take much to realize how similar this game was to Cod4. Not saying that's bad, it just made it feel like, new campaign, new guns and levels, that's it. Nothing ground breaking or amazing like Modern Warfare was. Only real thing was Nazis Zombies. It just made me feel bored after a half an hour of play. Perhaps if I was just I borrowed this game from a friend, and it didn't take much to realize how similar this game was to Cod4. Not saying that's bad, it just made it feel like, new campaign, new guns and levels, that's it. Nothing ground breaking or amazing like Modern Warfare was. Only real thing was Nazis Zombies. It just made me feel bored after a half an hour of play. Perhaps if I was just getting an xbox, I would buy this game, but since I've pretty much beaten and gotten tired of CoD4, maybe it's time to look toward the future, literally. Bottom line if you haven't bought or played Cod4 entirely, buy it, or else play another because you might feel that sixty bucks went to recycled material. Expand
  92. DanaR
    Dec 29, 2008
    Pacific missions were great but found the russian missions were very similar to Enemy at the gates story line....anyone think the developers just ripped off this story line rather than come up with an original idea themselves! Flamethrower is great fun though!
  93. RichP
    Dec 28, 2008
    COD 4 isn't perfect, but it is still the best first person shooter I have ever played. Infinity Ward developed compelling story lines, interesting characters, effective pace, realistic weaponry, and made the playing experience consistently entertaining. Though perks had their critcs, multiplayer play was outstanding, with beautiful level design. COD 5 is shares a franchise title and COD 4 isn't perfect, but it is still the best first person shooter I have ever played. Infinity Ward developed compelling story lines, interesting characters, effective pace, realistic weaponry, and made the playing experience consistently entertaining. Though perks had their critcs, multiplayer play was outstanding, with beautiful level design. COD 5 is shares a franchise title and a graphics engine with its predecesor, and little else. Recall that Treyarch also developed the vapid and uninspired COD 3, though defenders were quick to point out, with some justification, that Treyarch had less time to develop COD 3 than Infinity Ward had to develop COD 4. Fair enough. This time, Infinity Ward had 2 years of development time, envionments set in a familiar WWII context, and a successful graphics engine with a few enhancements to start with. And still, Treyarch failed miserably. COD 5 single player is all but unplayable on veteran. The incessant grenade storms and relentless swarm of spawning enemies defined by terrible AI, who only have eyes for you, and are all world-class marksmen, compete with the mind-mumbingly boring level design to earn your ire. I earned 1000 points in COD 4, with over 8000 kills online and a 2:1 kill to death ratio. I played only 7 chapters of COD 5 and gave the disc to a friend. Don't waste your money and reward the amateurs at Treyarch. They don't deserve your support. Expand
  94. JeremyP.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Welll i found out many different dissapointing things in this game. Firstly, if you play hardend or veteran, like the producer said is that the enemies dont stop coming unles you advandce. So in the end, alll it is is a red light, green light game dodging the enemy fire
  95. SpencerM.
    Dec 23, 2008
    Call of duty world at war is a very good game it has great graphics and wonderfull detail. but i think that treyarch should have put 4-6 more months into it by fixing glitchs (like the all known glitch on castle to get underground) i personally love the game but i think that infinity ward should have sent some of their people over there and helped them out it would of helped them both. Call of duty world at war is a very good game it has great graphics and wonderfull detail. but i think that treyarch should have put 4-6 more months into it by fixing glitchs (like the all known glitch on castle to get underground) i personally love the game but i think that infinity ward should have sent some of their people over there and helped them out it would of helped them both. another thing that really makes me mad is the fact that IT TAKES MORE BULLETS TO KILL A DOG THAN A PERSON ONLINE it should be easier to kill a dog than kill a person.....besides everything that i have said above its a very good game i look forward to playing it when i get home everyday. if they could just make a patch here and there it would be perfect (more maps and more guns Treyarch). Expand
  96. johnnieb.
    Dec 18, 2008
    This game is incredibly poor. Without the Nazi zombie mode (which is awesome, but not as good as L4D) and the epic end cutscene, I would hate everything about this game. My real score is a 6/10 but the 1 evens it out with these terrible high rated reviews. Obviously they haven't tried veteran.
  97. EirikX.
    Dec 16, 2008
    I never played Call of Duty 4, and I love this game. Multiplayer is a lot of fun and very addicting. It's funny. Some CoD4 players say they think this game is too much like Modern Warfare. I thought CoD4 was too much like CoD2, so that's why I didn't buy it. I guess People like to skip a CoD or two before moving on in the series.
  98. ChrisM
    Dec 15, 2008
    Trust me when I say.... I hate Treyarch! Every time Infinity ward create a flawless success, treyarch piggyback the success, make a horrible game and install doubt in the minds of all call of duty fans. So this review came after a lot of thought.... Trey arch finally made a good game.... quite good. Sure it lacks the polish of an Infinity ward installment and sure it rehashes on old Trust me when I say.... I hate Treyarch! Every time Infinity ward create a flawless success, treyarch piggyback the success, make a horrible game and install doubt in the minds of all call of duty fans. So this review came after a lot of thought.... Trey arch finally made a good game.... quite good. Sure it lacks the polish of an Infinity ward installment and sure it rehashes on old ground (WW2) but it does it right this time. Alot of fun, technically impressive and ferocious audio make for one of this years best titles. (PS. Change the lo-cal next time treyarch.... no more WW2. now it really has been done to death). Expand
  99. FredL.
    Dec 11, 2008
    Treyarch failed again, as a die hard COD 1 fan, I see this newest game in the series as a huge disappointment. But first, GOOD: Graphics are pretty, Japanese traps are actually frightening and fun to fight through. The bayonet is easily the most entertaining way to beat the game. BAD: The multiplayer is feeble, just like COD4 before it. It feels behind the times and stale compared to Treyarch failed again, as a die hard COD 1 fan, I see this newest game in the series as a huge disappointment. But first, GOOD: Graphics are pretty, Japanese traps are actually frightening and fun to fight through. The bayonet is easily the most entertaining way to beat the game. BAD: The multiplayer is feeble, just like COD4 before it. It feels behind the times and stale compared to recent multiplayer games. I find myself wishing that it was more like Battlefield: Bad Company styled multiplayer. The single player is dry and failed miserably to keep me enthralled. It's hard to imagine screwing up a game's story based on one of the most compelling periods of military history. They managed to bore me and make me hate the NPC teammates. They became little more then ammo repositories and spare weapons on my trek through the pacific and eastern Europe. My biggest complaint is the coop mode. First off, whoever thought up how they did the splitscreen needs to be fired and banned from the game industry. There is at least 1/4 of each side of my tv that is dead and wasted space. I can see how they wanted to offset the screens to reduce confusion between player 1 and 2, but really it just makes the players screen's even smaller and more confused. Add that to the fact that I played coop my first time through, and made it to the 2nd to last mission. My friend and I decided to take a break, and when we turned it back on it didn't even save my progress. I would expect to be able to continue from where I left off. OVERALL: Graphics are pretty, but since when do graphics alone make a game? Story is terrible, gameplay is nothing new, and I feel like this game would have been better a couple years ago. I'm very glad I rented it, I can't imagine paying full price for this. Expand
  100. FredL.
    Dec 11, 2008

1. Call of Duty: World At War needs better character development and more "oh my God" moments. However, it's still a terrific first-person shooter. The combat is tight, the presentation shines and the multiplayer, particularly Nazi Zombie mode and co-op campaign, will keep you blasting enemy soldiers for weeks.
  2. Treyarch did a remarkable job of breathing new life into the WWII shooter. They followed the conventions outlined by Infinity Ward to a tee and, as a result, created a shooter that is every bit as good as last year's entry. Of course, there isn't a whole lot of innovation this time around, but the increased Multiplayer options, new settings, and great enemy A.I. should more than satisfy all but the most jaded Infinity Ward fanboys.
    Although the campaign storyline isn't nearly as engaging as the one seen in "CoD4," there should be enough memorable set pieces and intense sequences to keep you riveted throughout. The addition of a co-op mode brings a great deal of replay value to the proceedings, especially once you start throwing the death cards into the mix. Ultimately, it's the multiplayer and co-op action that will keep us coming back for more.