8.2

1. Jun 16, 2013
    Original storytelling educates about the old west, plus excellent audio and beatiful detailed hi-res cell-shaded look on top of unoriginal but excellent arcadey gunplay. Plus bonuses like arcade mode, combos, etc.

Probably not better than Bound in Blood, definitely miles better than Cartel.
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    Wanna save $15? Pick the most brainless level in a Call of Duty game and replay it 10 times. I can feel my IQ drop 1 point per minute that I play this. Point and shoot point and shoot x100. The fact that this is $15 does not save it from a bad score. I am stupider for having played this game. An entirely pointless experience. Just replay your COD games, those are way smarter than this.Wanna save $15? Pick the most brainless level in a Call of Duty game and replay it 10 times. I can feel my IQ drop 1 point per minute that I play this. Point and shoot point and shoot x100. The fact that this is $15 does not save it from a bad score. I am stupider for having played this game. An entirely pointless experience. Just replay your COD games, those are way smarter than this. Goodbye $15. Expand
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    Gunslinger is a solid title; particularly when you consider that only costs the equivalent of £10 when download via Xbox Live. Despite its cel-shaded look and the clever narrative structure, that sees lead character Silas Greaves recounting his days as a bounty hunter; however it just doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the seemingly endless number of first person shootersGunslinger is a solid title; particularly when you consider that only costs the equivalent of £10 when download via Xbox Live. Despite its cel-shaded look and the clever narrative structure, that sees lead character Silas Greaves recounting his days as a bounty hunter; however it just doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the seemingly endless number of first person shooters released on this generation of consoles.

Anyone that has played the excellent Red Dead Redemption for example will find the on-rails nature of proceedings frustrating and the gun-play itself, while hardly poor, can often feel a little sluggish and pales in comparison to the very best in the genre.

If you are desperate to play a game set in the Wild West then Gunslinger will likely provide a good few hours of entertainment but there are better FPS games available at retail, many of which (Bulletstorm, Borderlands 2, Bioshock) can be found discounted to a similar price.
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    This one of the best downloadable shooters out there, but it still has some major flaws. The game is very linear and very tedious, but it helps that a upgrade system is included to diminish that. The story is just out there.
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    Fun arcade experience. The variety is not a strong point of production, but if you are looking a shooter without too much because, with a historical context different from the usual, this fps for you. The reduced price is a reason to purchase them.
  6. Dec 12, 2014
    There's nothing very new or remarkable here. But that's okay, as the game knows exactly what it is and simply sets out to bring the player a good time. And, for the most part, it succeeds
  7. Jul 17, 2014
    The sub par game mechanics get in the way of a great story. Near the end of the game, there is a great flow to the story, with a grizzled gunfighter narrating the advance through an old ghost town. The the flow is ruined by a stray bullet that hits me when I dodge left instead of right. Then the flow is ruined again when the bullet hits me when I dodge right. Then again, and again, andThe sub par game mechanics get in the way of a great story. Near the end of the game, there is a great flow to the story, with a grizzled gunfighter narrating the advance through an old ghost town. The the flow is ruined by a stray bullet that hits me when I dodge left instead of right. Then the flow is ruined again when the bullet hits me when I dodge right. Then again, and again, and again. And this is on "normal" mode.

When I started the game a second time in "new game +" mode, the game asked me if I wanted to play on a higher difficulty. I breezed through the first mission, slowing time to take out half a dozen hombres at a time, and fully enjoying the narration and features that pop-in as the story changes. Then the game said it noticed I had an easy time of it and asked if I really wanted to play at a harder difficulty. After 9 or 10 hours, I am finally enjoying the game, so why would I want to ruin the experience with an arbitrarily set difficulty level?

Modern games have a flow to them in order to tell a story. Sometimes the story is a pile of horse manure like "COD BLOPS 2" and sometimes the story is a tale of one man's vendetta that touches on ever popular legend of the old west. The simple comic book scenes and narration in "Gunslinger" have a greater impact than the set pieces of most modern shooters, and if you could enjoy the story alone I would give "Gunslinger an 8 out of ten. Instead, the story is wrapped up in a taco of terrible game play.

The game play seems familiar enough. Shoot bad guys and throw dynamite as grenades. We even have a spring and melee button. The wrinkle is the also familiar slow down time effect. Because of the RPG system that infects modern shooters, the slow down time effect starts off rather useless. By the time you take aim, the slow down of time has already stopped. By the end of the game, you can increase the effect and the rate of recharge. The mechanic is recharged by shooting hombres, and of course if you can shoot hombres without slowing down time, you don't need to slow down time in the first place.

Time also slows down automatically in random events where some hombres bullet is a killing bullet. You can dodge left or right to avoid death, but dodge the wrong way and you instantly die. After about 10 hours, the effect seems random, with a death screen popping up about half the time. Duels are similarly random and after also playing both "Read Dead" games, I can say with authority that duels never work in video games. Though at least duels can be repeated infinitely until you win by random chance. Then there is the ages old problems of enemies always being able to spot you, even if you sneak up on them from behind, across a canyon, and behind an opaque bush. All these death screens increase frustration and ruin the great story.

The brevity of "Gunslinger" is not its problem. There are piles of terrible games released at a $60 price point that end up in bargain bins. And there are games that take 50 to 100 hours to play to mild satisfaction at best. Games like "Gunslinger" and "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon" are great experiences of game play married with compelling stories, fully animated cut scenes be danged. "Gunslinger" just doesn't give the player enough of a break to put the game in the fun zone, or to put it another way, filling up a game with death screens makes the experience longer but it doesn't make the experience better.
  8. May 23, 2013
    After the disappointing mess that was "Call of Juarez: The Cartel", the series managed to return to the old Western roots while still making it refreshing and enjoyable. The story telling and voice acting is, in my opinion of course, the best of the series, creating its most lovable and memorable character yet, Silas Greaves. The way the story is told beautifully connects to the flawlessAfter the disappointing mess that was "Call of Juarez: The Cartel", the series managed to return to the old Western roots while still making it refreshing and enjoyable. The story telling and voice acting is, in my opinion of course, the best of the series, creating its most lovable and memorable character yet, Silas Greaves. The way the story is told beautifully connects to the flawless FPS controls. The game looks gorgeous, from its Borderlands-styled graphics in the environment to the blood gushing from the enemie's face after pulling of a satisfying headshot in Concentration Mode, making you feel like a real Western bad ass. The only very minor flaws are the frame rate and the low FOV, but since the FOV almost never gets in the way of shooting some in the knee cap, it's very forgivable, combined with all the amusing content "Gunslinger" has to offer.

As a fifteen dollar arcade game, "Call of Juarez: Gunslinger" offers more fun than most of today's fifty dollar games even manage to get close to.

Gorgeous, classic, amusing: everything a great and enjoyable game has to be. 10/10.

1. Oct 7, 2013
    After an über-boring trip to the present, Call of Juarez has finally realized what makes it special. Code word is a pulp thrill ride, but this is what Techland does best. It ain't a milestone in gaming history, but it is a nice shooter with a pretty good narrative. [Aug 2013]
  2. Jul 21, 2013
    A few rough spots do little to tarnish this energetic and purely fun and unpretentious FPS. [Aug 2013, p.78]
    There's a laser-like focus on gunplay here that strips away much of the fluff. [Issue#99, p.81]