8.2

1. May 23, 2013
    After the disappointing mess that was "Call of Juarez: The Cartel", the series managed to return to the old Western roots while still making it refreshing and enjoyable. The story telling and voice acting is, in my opinion of course, the best of the series, creating its most lovable and memorable character yet, Silas Greaves. The way the story is told beautifully connects to the flawless FPS controls. The game looks gorgeous, from its Borderlands-styled graphics in the environment to the blood gushing from the enemie's face after pulling of a satisfying headshot in Concentration Mode, making you feel like a real Western bad ass. The only very minor flaws are the frame rate and the low FOV, but since the FOV almost never gets in the way of shooting some in the knee cap, it's very forgivable, combined with all the amusing content "Gunslinger" has to offer.

As a fifteen dollar arcade game, "Call of Juarez: Gunslinger" offers more fun than most of today's fifty dollar games even manage to get close to.

Gorgeous, classic, amusing: everything a great and enjoyable game has to be. 10/10.
  2. May 22, 2013
    Amazing, Call of juarez it´s back and it will win a lot of new fans. Perfect sound, more than decent graphics, plenty action, nice narrative, no multiplayer(becose this way the game it´s longer), and it is more than amazing, one of the best games i had ever played in a long time. Don´t wait more and make your self with a copy.

!The wild west is back!
  3. May 25, 2013
    First i have to say i registred on metacritic, just to write this review. What an amazing game, witch is well worth the money!

Here's a few reason the game is so fantastic, and me explaining the contents of the game;

- Amazing Single player story mode, which has great voice-acting and an intresting story. Makes me really eager to play one more mission, just to see what happends
    further on, simply fabulous! In the story mode there is also a pretty deep skill tree, consisting of 3 different categories- Long distance combat (Rifleman), a dual wielding tree, and a close quarter shotgun skill tree. I don't wanna spoil anything, but you will not only obtain "skills" but after you have put lets say around 5 skill points in one tree, you'll recieve something cool. There is also so called obtainable "secrets", witch is spread across the diffrent levels.

- Insane Arcade mode! This mode has extreme replayability, and action. Never have i seen so many varied and crazy fun filled levels in one mode! Firstly this mode is all about keeping the so called "score multiper" high, as this mode is all about the points you end up with after you've come to the end. To do this you have to neutralize one enemy after another withing around 5 seconds, to keep the multipler going, or it will end. This mode also has a separate skill tree from the campaign, in witch you unlock skills by aquiring this and that many points in each of the 3 very different classes.

- Also there is a duel mode aswell, however i didn't try this one yet. From what i know, you will face many diffrent duelists, in which the goal is to take as many as you can down, within 5 lives, and it becomes more and more difficult per duel.

Also, the game has fantastic visuals, and AWESOME sounds! Really nice feel to the diffrent revolvers, shotguns and rifles!

Thats my review, and i recommend everyone to pick this one up right now! 10 of 10- Well done Techland! :-)

Written on an Ipad, so thats why there may be spelling errors my main language is not English.
  4. May 23, 2013
    Light story with perfect story telling and well mixed acrade shooter experience, enough blood to make tarantino blush :D
    Arcade and duel modes more hours fun.

Only negative is frame rate and some weak textures a bit poor to the PC version...
  5. May 26, 2013
    WOW pleasantly surprised! best $14.99 I ever spent. Working through the storyline so far and it's very entertaining if you're a fan of this era (Western, no more Cartel bogus). As far as game play controls go basic FPS aspects and the dueling is fun! PC Gamer here, all maxed out settings, no issues. I did have to change a couple sound setting defaults but it was no biggie.
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    Wanna save $15? Pick the most brainless level in a Call of Duty game and replay it 10 times. I can feel my IQ drop 1 point per minute that I play this. Point and shoot point and shoot x100. The fact that this is $15 does not save it from a bad score. I am stupider for having played this game. An entirely pointless experience. Just replay your COD games, those are way smarter than this. Goodbye $15. Expand
  7. May 23, 2013
    For 15 bucks you probably won't find a better FPS. Sure it doesn't do anything new to the FPS genre but its still very fun and enjoyable, the FPS mechanics are functional and the skill trees are also good for using your own playstyle. The graphics and artstyle are good and mix very well with the setting which by the way is very good, you really feel like a bad ass in a wild west setting, the story does the job and the comic style cutscenes with the good voice acting is really good. The bad things: The FOV sometimes can feel too narrow, the frames per second are sometimes lower than they should be, the story did the job but I wished a little more from it, there's pretty much no weapon variety. Only the low price keeps this game from getting an 7, for that price anyone should try it because it is really fun. Expand
  8. May 24, 2013
    I loved first two games, but than cartel came up and it was really bad bad game. Now they turn back to their roots and made really great game from beginning of 19 th century, which is fun to play. Definitely worth of buying!
  9. Jun 16, 2013
    Original storytelling educates about the old west, plus excellent audio and beatiful detailed hi-res cell-shaded look on top of unoriginal but excellent arcadey gunplay. Plus bonuses like arcade mode, combos, etc.

Probably not better than Bound in Blood, definitely miles better than Cartel.
  10. May 24, 2013
    Easily the best game in the series. Graphics are done in an almost comic book style, which works nicely. Violent as hell. Shooting mechanics work great. Generally a pleasure to play.
  11. May 25, 2013
    After the awful Devil's Cartel take on the franchise Call of Juarez decided to go back to his roots as an excellent addition to the franchise, the story is telled in a shell shaded art style with excellent voice acting and and incredible twist at the end that will most definitely will let your jaw drop.
    The gameplay never gets repetitive or generic thank's to the well placed level up
    system that there is in the game, the abilities will make you reload faster, make more damage and even will change how the guns in the game look physically and overall how they work in general. This changes to yourself or to your weapons will force you to keep playing the game constantly just to get every ability and be the ultimate legend of the west.
    The game is around 7 to 8 hours clocked in counting cutscenes and gameplay, with huge chances of replayability just to get every single ability, it even has a new game plus option that allow you to start with your abilities and weapons from the first playthrough. after that you will have other game modes to explore like dueling and arcade wich each one of them have their own unique set of fun. Buy this game now
  12. May 28, 2013
    COJ: Gunslinger is an outstanding old-school score based shooter with bags of personality and a hardcore arcade mode.

Story mode is well narrated and full of humour and legendary characters. It's an action focused game with an emphasis on choreographed set-pieces and masterful shooting. There's a nice XP system in both story and arcade mode which gives access to useful upgrades and
    sweet bonus weapons.

The real meat here is the arcade mode. Free from distractions and story guff, each level is comprised of several enemy-filled areas to speed through. The idea is to link kills to build a huge combo score and this is made possible with solid shooting mechanics and a 'Dead-eye' style bullet time meter. Linking these areas is the key to massive scores.

When it 'clicks' arcade mode resembles a shooty version of Trials HD, especially with friends on the leaderboards.

The lack of multiplayer irks at first but I can't think of a way this would work with the game mechanics. DLC arcade levels would add even more replay value.

An awesome game with genuine attitude and, in my opinion, Techland's best game yet.
  13. May 26, 2013
    This is the 2nd best Call of Juarez in this console generation both story and gameplay is fantastic and unique but my personal favorit will be always the Call of Juarez1 with old reverend ray.
  14. May 24, 2013
    what a surprise i didnt want to play it but the game claims its oportunity and prove its value, cool and accurate shootting mecanics simply funny story line with cool narrative style well craffted envioment and graphics i dont have any big complains considering its arcade focus. cool game.....................
  15. Jun 6, 2013
    A bit hesitant at first, after playing a few minutes of the story mode I was amazed! Now that I've finished the solo (which was great and different from anything I've ever tried before) I think that I actually prefer the arcade and duel modes (the arcade mode is awesome once you've mastered the bullet time usage).
    Considering this is a digital title, it is a considerable acheivement! To
    buy without any hesitation especially for 15 bucks Expand
  16. May 28, 2013
    The last part was really disappointing, but this one is way better. Not the 1st part, but makes fun to play. The duels are well made, graphics are more than just ok. Finally, a story you may like. All in all for this price? Try to beat that. Recommended.
  17. Aug 3, 2013
    Gunslinger is a solid title; particularly when you consider that only costs the equivalent of £10 when download via Xbox Live. Despite its cel-shaded look and the clever narrative structure, that sees lead character Silas Greaves recounting his days as a bounty hunter; however it just doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the seemingly endless number of first person shooters released on this generation of consoles.

Anyone that has played the excellent Red Dead Redemption for example will find the on-rails nature of proceedings frustrating and the gun-play itself, while hardly poor, can often feel a little sluggish and pales in comparison to the very best in the genre.

If you are desperate to play a game set in the Wild West then Gunslinger will likely provide a good few hours of entertainment but there are better FPS games available at retail, many of which (Bulletstorm, Borderlands 2, Bioshock) can be found discounted to a similar price.
  18. Jan 29, 2014
    One of the more refreshing and fun shooters of 2013 - in a time when most modern FPS games are focusing on massive set pieces and realism they forget about what makes a shooter truly fun, a great mix of enemies, cool locations, great upgrades that encourage a number of different play styles and also a stylish graphical style that is great to look at and makes the action fast, fluid and slick. all of this is offered by Call of Juarez Gunslinger and it also tells a fantastic story which provides interesting and unique aspects in the gameplay. With a great arcade game mode and a fun duel mode this game packs a heap of punch for the price range. easily one of the most fun shooters to come out in a while. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2013
    This one of the best downloadable shooters out there, but it still has some major flaws. The game is very linear and very tedious, but it helps that a upgrade system is included to diminish that. The story is just out there.
  20. Jul 3, 2013
    The first two Call of Juarez games were good, but had some flaws, and The Cartel was a disaster. So I had some reservations in playing the newest entry in a series that never really did much for me. Thankfully, Gunslinger is good enough to be one of my favorite Arcade titles in a while. The biggest thin going for it is the sheer amount of content it has. The campaign, runs roughly 9-ish hours, and manages to tell a compelling tale with some interesting characters and some really clever gameplay mechanics involving the stories flashback nature. Meanwhile, the Duels challenge and ten different Arcade levels are a lot of fun, and extend the game's lie considerably. Throw in some tight gameplay, excellent sound design, and beautiful cel-shaded graphics, and you have a serious contender for best Arcade title of the year. Collapse
  21. Jun 3, 2013
    Excelente narrativa, excelentes gráficas y el detalle de los elementos que se destruyen durante las balanceras es muy bueno. Cada uno de los jefes finales tiene una dinámica diferente y muy trabajada. Que puedo decir de los duelos; es con lo que mas sufro en el juego. Un gran juego!
  22. Jun 20, 2013
    This game offers a plenty of content for a relatively low price. The story is chaotic, nonetheless engaging. The combat system is great, however on hard mode, the textures get very often in the way of bullet time and force you to die. A lot. The graphics are Borderlands-ish in their influence and very thematic and good. The ending is rather clear as it is very similar to many movies. The negatives are extremely frustrating dueling system (especially if you try to do ''Honorable kills''), since very often it is simply impossible to be faster that your opponent, so you will die. Again A LOT. Also I strongly disliked the cutscene graphics, but that might just be me. The gameplay is definetly one of the best I've put my hands on in a long long time. Expand
  23. May 27, 2013
    This game was a positive suprise for me I thought that It'll be a serious western story about greed, bandits morality etc. But it finds to be a great, funny game about one of the biggest badasses in history Silas Graves. Gameplay is good too, that was a great idea to add some rpg to this shooter I love this game as much as I loved the first part and brotherhood. Chłopaki z Techlandu jeśli to czytacie, to wiedzcie że wykonaliście dobrą robotę :D. Good job, very good game and wonderful graphics Expand
  24. Jun 1, 2013
    i havnt been on call of juarez yet but have looked at the trailer and it is so good to see something else rather than special forces or aliens running around. I love the settings and the charactors from the old westerns so this is going to be a must nuy for me WAHOO lee http://www.fireboyandwatergirl.co.uk
  25. Jun 1, 2013
    With the recent influx of future shooters nowadays, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a nice change in pace. The art direction in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger can only be described as amazing, and the Wild West Story is well written. Grab your mighty shotgun partner, you are in for a wild ride that I'm sure you'll enjoy.
  26. Jun 4, 2013
    This is about as much fun as you can have for $15. The shooting is satisfying, the guns are fun to play with, the graphics are nice and the soundtrack is great. The duel mode is fantastic and challenging, and although the story is linear, short and a bit bland, the game features an arcade mode that can be played through countless times.
  27. Jul 7, 2013
    Fun arcade experience. The variety is not a strong point of production, but if you are looking a shooter without too much because, with a historical context different from the usual, this fps for you. The reduced price is a reason to purchase them.
  28. Dec 14, 2013
    This game was a shock. It does not excel but does good in everything. The background is perfect, is fun to play and allot of content. I got this game for $3 and it was one of the best $3 I have ever spent.
  29. Jul 17, 2014
    The sub par game mechanics get in the way of a great story. Near the end of the game, there is a great flow to the story, with a grizzled gunfighter narrating the advance through an old ghost town. The the flow is ruined by a stray bullet that hits me when I dodge left instead of right. Then the flow is ruined again when the bullet hits me when I dodge right. Then again, and again, and again. And this is on "normal" mode.

When I started the game a second time in "new game +" mode, the game asked me if I wanted to play on a higher difficulty. I breezed through the first mission, slowing time to take out half a dozen hombres at a time, and fully enjoying the narration and features that pop-in as the story changes. Then the game said it noticed I had an easy time of it and asked if I really wanted to play at a harder difficulty. After 9 or 10 hours, I am finally enjoying the game, so why would I want to ruin the experience with an arbitrarily set difficulty level?

Modern games have a flow to them in order to tell a story. Sometimes the story is a pile of horse manure like "COD BLOPS 2" and sometimes the story is a tale of one man's vendetta that touches on ever popular legend of the old west. The simple comic book scenes and narration in "Gunslinger" have a greater impact than the set pieces of most modern shooters, and if you could enjoy the story alone I would give "Gunslinger an 8 out of ten. Instead, the story is wrapped up in a taco of terrible game play.

The game play seems familiar enough. Shoot bad guys and throw dynamite as grenades. We even have a spring and melee button. The wrinkle is the also familiar slow down time effect. Because of the RPG system that infects modern shooters, the slow down time effect starts off rather useless. By the time you take aim, the slow down of time has already stopped. By the end of the game, you can increase the effect and the rate of recharge. The mechanic is recharged by shooting hombres, and of course if you can shoot hombres without slowing down time, you don't need to slow down time in the first place.

Time also slows down automatically in random events where some hombres bullet is a killing bullet. You can dodge left or right to avoid death, but dodge the wrong way and you instantly die. After about 10 hours, the effect seems random, with a death screen popping up about half the time. Duels are similarly random and after also playing both "Read Dead" games, I can say with authority that duels never work in video games. Though at least duels can be repeated infinitely until you win by random chance. Then there is the ages old problems of enemies always being able to spot you, even if you sneak up on them from behind, across a canyon, and behind an opaque bush. All these death screens increase frustration and ruin the great story.

The brevity of "Gunslinger" is not its problem. There are piles of terrible games released at a $60 price point that end up in bargain bins. And there are games that take 50 to 100 hours to play to mild satisfaction at best. Games like "Gunslinger" and "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon" are great experiences of game play married with compelling stories, fully animated cut scenes be danged. "Gunslinger" just doesn't give the player enough of a break to put the game in the fun zone, or to put it another way, filling up a game with death screens makes the experience longer but it doesn't make the experience better.
  30. Jul 3, 2013

1. Oct 7, 2013
    After an über-boring trip to the present, Call of Juarez has finally realized what makes it special. Code word is a pulp thrill ride, but this is what Techland does best. It ain't a milestone in gaming history, but it is a nice shooter with a pretty good narrative. [Aug 2013]
  2. Jul 21, 2013
    A few rough spots do little to tarnish this energetic and purely fun and unpretentious FPS. [Aug 2013, p.78]
    There's a laser-like focus on gunplay here that strips away much of the fluff. [Issue#99, p.81]