Call of Juarez: The Cartel Xbox 360

5.7

1. Jul 30, 2011
    I can imagine some people quite hastily dismissing this game too soon,because of the 'not top notch,but still quite good in my opinion' graphics,& gameplay that doesnt have a cover system.but those who stick with it,with an open mind ,will find a satisfying game to,with solid,if not fantastic combat.Those who play the game properly,(& by that i mean dont rush in CoD style,but take yourI can imagine some people quite hastily dismissing this game too soon,because of the 'not top notch,but still quite good in my opinion' graphics,& gameplay that doesnt have a cover system.but those who stick with it,with an open mind ,will find a satisfying game to,with solid,if not fantastic combat.Those who play the game properly,(& by that i mean dont rush in CoD style,but take your time,& pick your shots,use whats around you for cover,use the cruch alot,dont stay out in the open for long,as you would do in a real gunfight,because'like in a real gunfight,you cant take many hits),& you will soon appreciate the intracasies this game has to offer.Although as i said it doesnt have a cover system as such,the game does require you to use the cover around you,& maneuvering behind cover,rushing betwwen covers & ducking accomplishes this quite nicely.in fact,as your not glued to cover,you feel more free in regards to positioning yourself for a good shooting position.This is not a game about optical sights on your weapons,& night vision goggles,flashbangs or airstrikes.Its a rare game,that relies on good old common sense in a gunfight,& firing your weapon from the hip,or down your ironsight(apart from Sniper Rifles).This feels very refreshing in this age of constant games featuring military weapons,It gives it that 'western' feel,but at the same time,a modern feel.It was all i was hoping for,when i heard that this title in the series was going to be set in the modern day.A modern Western,I love it! The secret objectives you can try to accomplish while your partners arnt looking,is a good idea too,though if theres a sequel(& i hope there is)they should make the locations of those items to collect randomly placed.Hopefully they can fix it in this title with a patch.I love the slow motion door entrys too,& fortunately,they're in it quite alot.The campaign is pretty long too,with a good story.& its great to FINALLY get Co-Op in a Call of Juarez game(especially after the last one criminally didnt have it,especially with the two main characters)..I also have to say the complaints of too much bad language in The Cartel are over exagerrated,its no-where near as bad as made out(& thats from someone who doesnt swear).Go in with an open mind,& enjoy this western shooter with a modern spin.An easy 8 for me. Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2012
    After playing Bound in Blood i thought CoJ was crap. But boy, was i wrong! This game has what most of the FPSs out there do't have. This game has a STORYLINE, good characters one of the best gameplay i have seen in a while. The guns actually look realistic, unlike CoD and other boring shooters.
  3. Jul 19, 2011
    This is not your grandfather's call of juarez. I was anxious when I heard about the change of setting but it's still a COJ game at heart. To me the cartel has all the highlights of the previous games in the series: the plot is excellent and surprised me several times. Unlike in most games, here you have no idea who is really on your side and no, it's not the 'double cross surprise' anyoneThis is not your grandfather's call of juarez. I was anxious when I heard about the change of setting but it's still a COJ game at heart. To me the cartel has all the highlights of the previous games in the series: the plot is excellent and surprised me several times. Unlike in most games, here you have no idea who is really on your side and no, it's not the 'double cross surprise' anyone can see coming.
    The gameplay is good but it really shines in coop. On top of the secret missions you get while playing with AI, there are also challenges. Combined with the game's conspiracy / distrust plot they make the 'work together but compete' idea real.
    Graphics are workable but they could use some improvement, the same goes for animations. I've seen better AI, one more reason to play this with live players.
    Do yourselves a favor and don't discount this game on a gfx glitch or something. It's a cop game with an actual plot and some devious mechanics for each character, with a delicious cooperative mode and what seems to be a cool competitive multiplayer mode (gotta check this one myself when more people buy the game).
  4. Aug 29, 2011
    I was really surprised at how great Fright Night was. Everything from the acting, the atmosphere, the music, the story... it was all pin-point perfect. Colin Farrell was absolutely amazing in this movie.
  5. Sep 19, 2011
    I think the game it self is excellent, but they could of made the guns have unique bullets instead of some guns sharing, the slow mo could of been abit more smoother, the plot is excellent too because you can't keep having game after game set in the same period.
  6. Jul 31, 2011
    I was really surprised when I read some of the reviews AFTER I finished the game. It has some flaws but it's a really fun game, one of really few that let you play in co-op. The ONLY ONE that features a good story to be played with 3 characters and what's more it differs for each character. I really had fun playing it with my friends. So the press reviews don't give this game justice imo.I was really surprised when I read some of the reviews AFTER I finished the game. It has some flaws but it's a really fun game, one of really few that let you play in co-op. The ONLY ONE that features a good story to be played with 3 characters and what's more it differs for each character. I really had fun playing it with my friends. So the press reviews don't give this game justice imo.
    Good choice for me for this summer.
  7. Aug 3, 2011
    Giving this game a 4 or 5 out of ten is just being lazy or incompetent. It's flawed but full of original ideas. Techland will need to work hard to refine them but the potential is there. After beating it solo I played several missions in coop and it's even better that way. If you only play GOTY then I'm sorry for you. Anyone else can safely pick this up and have fun.
  8. Jul 19, 2011
    I have just played 9 first missions with two of my friends. I really enjoy this game. Of course graphics isn't like in Battlefield 3 , but I saw worst (it's better then in Homefront anyway).
    The most fun is playing with friends and watching their moves. ( we have something like a secret quest different for all players, if you accomplish this quest you will receive additional XP, if you catch your friends when they are doing their own quest you will get additional XP, too). There isn't a cover system. (sometimes there is something like a cover system but we didn't understand how it worked ;( and it was really frustrating). I have never played a game like this one before. FPS with 3 coop, deep story, secret quest for each character, slow mo. It's not another call of duty clone. If Ubisoft made a little bit better graphics,put more effort in animations and dialogues, added a cover system it would be a great game. Now it is only a good game, to me 82/100.
  9. Jul 29, 2011
    Personally, I have a good shuter.Zhal sure that they svernuli.Tak topic that I give 9 points

I've not played the previous 2 Call of Juarez games,outside the demos,mainly due to their lack of Co-Op(especially criminal for Bound in Blood,with its 2 main characters)! but i can say i quite enjoy this game.I would have given it a seven,because there are better games out there,but the 3 player Co-Op does make the game better than alot for sure,& i dont want to take anything away from this game,as the gameplay is solid enough,& feels a ltttle old school in that theres mostly no scopes on the weapons,using mainly hip firing & aiming down iron sights barring sniper rifles(unless scope attachments come in later on,that i havnt seen yet)..Theres also no cover system outside of positioning yourself or ducking behind senery.I though that would detract from the game,but doesnt for me certainly.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    The newest installation of the Call of Juarez franchise brings the series to modern day. Unfortunately this is like taking a shot in the kneecaps. The game can't stand in it's own feet anymore. The game is crowned with some really stupid game design flaws. It was once upon a time in the west, now it's just west. And plain west is not the best. [Sept 2011]
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    Call of Juarez has been downgraded and is disappointing in every aspect of gameplay and design.
  3. games(TM)
    Sep 13, 2011
    A woeful misstep into the pantheon of disposable first-person shooters, and a balsa wood ghost town of a game that no amount of support patching could possibly shore up. [Issue#113, p.96]