8.8

1. Sep 5, 2010
    This game is a fun, sidescroller beat-em up with good music and fun gameplay. It also has a lot of comedy in the middle of all of the fun gameplay. For example, as you are fighting through the forest and all of the animals are dying of constipation. The game lets you also play with up to 3 other players. As you can see, this game is loads of fun and can be fun with 3 other friends too.
  2. Jul 31, 2012
    A great game that somehow reminds me on the old consoles where I use to play when I was a kid, anyone remembers Double Dragon, Shinobi, etc ?
    It's a great game, highly recommended !
  3. Sep 11, 2010
    castle crashers is a truly amazing game, not only does it look great with some very funny scenes it also has 4 player co-op which is a real game changer for anybody with friends around often, even the bosses are humorous and original
  4. Dec 3, 2012
    One of the best action RPG games I've ever played on a console.
    Too much fun, full of interesting challenges and crazy enemies.

This game deserves a sequel.
  5. iPLaGuE
    Nov 16, 2008
    The best downloadable content to date, Castle Crashers is not only charmingly drawn, the game itself blends simplicity and complexity like no other. The dungeon-crawling aspect of the gameplay works remarkably well with the level by level system mechanics. I found this game EXTREMELY addictive single player, and the multiplayer is just a very appropriate bonus. Overall i think this is myThe best downloadable content to date, Castle Crashers is not only charmingly drawn, the game itself blends simplicity and complexity like no other. The dungeon-crawling aspect of the gameplay works remarkably well with the level by level system mechanics. I found this game EXTREMELY addictive single player, and the multiplayer is just a very appropriate bonus. Overall i think this is my 3rd favorite 360 game (behind Gears 1&2) and i recommend it to anybody with 1200 MS points Expand
  6. naiku
    Aug 27, 2008
    Castle Crashers is easily the best XBLA to date. Braid maybe be innovative but Caslte Crashers is just more fun. This is the must own game of the summer.
  7. NathanielC.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Though challenging while playing solo, it is without a doubt, my favorite XBLA title to date. A very solid game all around.
  8. NathanW.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Original, addictive, and possibly the best party game on xbox live arcade. you pay for an arcade game and get a feature-rich title that spans hundreds of unlockables from new characters with new attacks and spells, to new weapons and avatars that give you special quirks in gameplay. I'm highly impressed by this game and recommend it to everyone looking for some fun on the Xbox.
  9. fdfdfdfdfd
    Aug 27, 2008
    Brilliant game from start to finish, amazing in multiplayer!!! Not the longest of games but one which definitely holds replay value when friends are over! 10/10... Easily one of the best XBLA games available. In fact, forget XBLA, this could almost have been sold full retail.
  10. BlakeF.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Only played for an hour or so, but it's fantastic. Love the art style, the action, the gameply, the music, the story and humor. All of it is top notch.
  11. HagenM.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Very amazing piece of work. Truely a masterpiece among gaming, all within the confines of a 2-d sidescroller. Best XBL arcade game ever. Barely beating Braid.
  12. ErikW.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Castle Crashers is simply an amazing game to be released on Xbox Live Arcade. With various modes to keep your interest, and so many unlockables, its replayability is nearly endless. Leveling up over 20 characters, all with different weapons, and also with a large number of "pets" the game does a good job of keeping you busy. The big draw here is the 4 Player Co-op play and it is Castle Crashers is simply an amazing game to be released on Xbox Live Arcade. With various modes to keep your interest, and so many unlockables, its replayability is nearly endless. Leveling up over 20 characters, all with different weapons, and also with a large number of "pets" the game does a good job of keeping you busy. The big draw here is the 4 Player Co-op play and it is astounding!! I've loved every minute of this game and would advise you to purchase it so you can do the same. Expand
  13. Chuck
    Aug 27, 2008
    Wow - I've bought or tried most XBLA games and this is the best of the lot... I've spent $60 on retail games that have less gameplay and quality, etc.
  14. KingMob
    Aug 27, 2008
    This could well be the best XB360 game I own. This game has so much style it's oozing out between the pixels. The look is amazing, the gameplay, while standard, is fast and responsive, and the fun factor is just out of this world. If you like anything, if you've ever liked video games, get this one!
  15. MichaelF
    Aug 27, 2008
    This game is simply.. the bets XBLA game to date.. there's so much playability that you will be sitting there for hours on end.. with 22 unlockable characters (I think), over 40 unlockable weapons, 20 or more pvp modes, 4 player offline/online co-op/multiplayer, and the ability for your character to level up from 1-99 and learn new combos and skills.. the game is just pure fun.
  16. TonyP.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Loved Alien Hominid but this is way more fun with the addition of 4 player coop!
  17. JasonD.
    Aug 27, 2008
    From the amazing art to the range of unlockables and ever present humor, Castle Crashers is an addicting game that is perfect for playing with friends, even after you've completed it yourself. My only real question, though, is why all of the animals are on laxatives, since it becomes weird seeing deer poo themselves across the level.
  18. EricD.
    Aug 27, 2008
    This arcade title has enough charisma to power a handful of retail releases. Oh, and the poop jokes never get old.
  19. WillS.
    Aug 28, 2008
    Great fun, minor xbl bugs don't take away from this awesome arcade melee masterpiece. The online modes also add a lot of replay value. I'm sure I will beat this game at least 20 times trying to unlock all the interesting playable characters! Wish there were more creative games like this being made.
  20. dangcucu
    Aug 28, 2008
    For a tribute to old school games this one is a winner.
  21. MattP.
    Aug 28, 2008
    It truly is a good game, but it would be infinitely better if players could actually get online past the character selection screen. It has worked before, but not long enough to complete any level. Make sure you've got a friend or three you can call up, then you'll really be able to enjoy this game.
  22. LennyL.
    Aug 29, 2008
    This game is a great throw back to those old beat-um-ups but they also added RPG and adventure elements to it. It may not be that fun by yourself but get a buddy and you'll have a great time.
  23. BobD.
    Aug 29, 2008
    With exceptional graphics, flawless controls, and a deep unlocking system, this game exceeds expectations. The game suffers from online, but that was a lack of hindsight on the server's traffic, reaching over 16000 users in the first five or six hours. Give it a week or so, and the servers will be repaired, making the online much more enjoyable.
  24. mcdeathob
    Aug 30, 2008
    A really entertaining, fun and brilliantly styalised game, fantastic to play with friends. The upgrade system is brilliant and the enemies are varied enough to stop boredom setting in. Would have been a perfect score if the online issues were fixed.
  25. TylerT.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Castle Crashers has everything a XBLA title should have- addictive gameplay, a decent length (about 4 to 5 hours), fun single player and absolutely superb multiplayer. Easy the best title on XBLA right now.
  26. JoshF.
    Aug 31, 2008
    this game hearkens back to the days I plugged my entire income (in the form of quarters) into the 4-player TMNT arcade standup alongside my friends, only now it will cost me less money and bring more enjoyment.
  27. NateK.
    Aug 31, 2008
    A really fun well polished beat em up game.
  28. LormF.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Good, simple minded addictive fun!
  29. AdamD.
    Sep 4, 2008
    This game is absolutely incredible. It has more content than most "top-shelf" 360 titles on disc out there, nevermind replayability, and only asks $15 for your ticket to this time-capsule that generously takes you back to your youth, reminding you of all the old games you used to cherish like river city ransom, technos samurai, double dragon, golden axe, super mario world and TMNT arcade This game is absolutely incredible. It has more content than most "top-shelf" 360 titles on disc out there, nevermind replayability, and only asks $15 for your ticket to this time-capsule that generously takes you back to your youth, reminding you of all the old games you used to cherish like river city ransom, technos samurai, double dragon, golden axe, super mario world and TMNT arcade just to name a few... this game takes all of those games plus more, mashes them up, adds it's own distinct style and personality, then makes it a game all it's own by adding tons of flair and unique playability. this is a game i would recommend to fans of old-school and new-school alike. it's not to say it doesn't have problems online, but apparently there's a patch right around the corner to clean it up. Expand
  30. JesseT
    Sep 12, 2008
    A masterpiece on XBLA. I have had more fun playing Castle Crashers than Too Human. Worth every dollar. Hopefully they will expand upon this universe in the future.
  31. LukeJ.
    Sep 23, 2008
    This a very fun that you have to own. It lets you have endless hours of fun by yourself our with your friends
  32. NicolasW.
    Oct 3, 2008
    A truly vivid experience!, me and my friends loved this game so much, my friend made a comic about it! Thank you behemoth!
  33. ZacharyB.
    Oct 7, 2008
    A truly Brilliant game featuring multiple references to newgrounds material, as well as many user created submissions (such as music and art). Overall it is a superb game for both people who love side scrollers or RPG's. The only trouble i seem to have is with the slightly confusing Weapon Upgrade system (it feels a bit ackward trying to find out what truly is an upgrade). As for the A truly Brilliant game featuring multiple references to newgrounds material, as well as many user created submissions (such as music and art). Overall it is a superb game for both people who love side scrollers or RPG's. The only trouble i seem to have is with the slightly confusing Weapon Upgrade system (it feels a bit ackward trying to find out what truly is an upgrade). As for the supposed networking issues, i have yet to face them. Overall a very excellent game in both graphics and gameplay. Expand
  34. MaxR.
    Oct 9, 2008
    Castle Crashers is an awesome game, only made better by the fact that it's made for multiplayer. Get a few friends, and let the action roll out. The only problem I have is that it's short, but that's okay once you unlock insane mode.
  35. HeberS
    Nov 29, 2008
    THIS GAME IS FREAKIN' AWESOME 1 point off because in local multiplayer you have to have local profiles for every player. STUPID. That means if you start a new game with different character you start over. Should just let us level every one up as we go. Other than that, I LOVE this game. Highly addictive, fantastic humor, great graphics, and my girlfriend can play it. Download the THIS GAME IS FREAKIN' AWESOME 1 point off because in local multiplayer you have to have local profiles for every player. STUPID. That means if you start a new game with different character you start over. Should just let us level every one up as we go. Other than that, I LOVE this game. Highly addictive, fantastic humor, great graphics, and my girlfriend can play it. Download the demo and you'll be hooked. 9 out of 10 only because of the profiles issue. Expand
  36. Jake
    Jan 1, 2009
    Fantastic artwork, addicting and has alot of replayability, Castle Crashers is by far the one of the greatest games on the XBLA and will remain active in my Library of games for a long while. Behemoth has taken a step up from Alien Hominid with this masterpiece!
  37. MarcusL
    May 30, 2009
    Remember back the 1990's when we had awesome games like Streets of Rage or Golden Axe? Well, The Behemoth have decided to revive the genre with Castle Crashers. And only one word can express how I feel about the game; amazing. You play as one of four characters, each with their own special powers, but there are other characters to unlock. The controls are very fluid and responsive. Remember back the 1990's when we had awesome games like Streets of Rage or Golden Axe? Well, The Behemoth have decided to revive the genre with Castle Crashers. And only one word can express how I feel about the game; amazing. You play as one of four characters, each with their own special powers, but there are other characters to unlock. The controls are very fluid and responsive. It sounds like brainless button bashing, but it's like in Sonic Unleashed. There is more than meets the eye. As your character upgrades, you get more button combinations. The game's soundtrack is really good. It reminds me of 300 for it's epicness. The game's multiplayer is, however, very good if you have the right people, like all online games. One downside is the price. This is too little game for 1200 points. 800 points would be a perfect price for this game. All in all, Castle Crashers is one of The Behemoth's best games. It's fluid, funny and violent. Think a cartoony 300, and you've got it. It's THAT good! Expand
  38. Sep 20, 2010
    The Behemoth never ceases to amaze. It can be a tad bit frustrating at times due to the enemy's difficulty level, but if you're willing to keep fighting, you can find the brilliant humor and all of the other elements that make Castle Crashers a timeless game. I never thought I'd have this much fun playing a hack and slash game.
  39. Mar 19, 2011
    Castle Crashers is a fantastic XBLA game that is great to play with friends over. The humor and artwork allows CC to stand out from the crowd and make it a genuinely charming game. The multiplayer component just adds to its replay value. This is an essential Arcade game.
  40. Apr 17, 2011
    this is a very entertaining game.story mode may only last about 4-5 hours but there is a lot of customizations you can make and once you beat the game there is another character you unlock.you can level up which makes the game addictive. online were you can compete with your friends or if you just want to have some fun then you can always play a few boss battles.BUY THIS GAME!
  41. Jul 25, 2011
    I'm amazed that XBLA has a lot of better games than some of the typical games in retail part. Such a simple studio, can create addictive games, with good humor. The Co-op is a blast, if you don't play to much online games and want a cheap but great game, well this is for you.
  42. Aug 19, 2011
    I wanted a cheap, fun game that I could play with my friends aaaaaand I found it! Castle Crashers is quite the game, at first glance it may not seem like much with it's 2D graphics and it's art style (which is very cute by the way), but there is a lot of fun to be had for anyone deciding to give the game a go. It's tame enough for kids, yet still great for the older folk (not kids). HighlyI wanted a cheap, fun game that I could play with my friends aaaaaand I found it! Castle Crashers is quite the game, at first glance it may not seem like much with it's 2D graphics and it's art style (which is very cute by the way), but there is a lot of fun to be had for anyone deciding to give the game a go. It's tame enough for kids, yet still great for the older folk (not kids). Highly recommended. Expand
  43. Jan 21, 2012
    Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, picked this on sale through xbox live for 600 points and it was worth it. Co-op is where its at once again! The game has an addictive leveling system where you'll want to level up all the available characters, as well as replay levels for hidden secrets! Buy on ps3 or 360!
  44. Jul 30, 2012
    Castle Crashers is a fun and addictive game that keeps you glued to the screen until the end. And reaching the end, you immediately feel the urge to start over, with the new unlocked characters. The graphics and gameplay are simple but awesome, like games should be.
  45. May 29, 2013
    This is a game that you need to play with friends, but once you do it is a fun experience. This is a colorful hack and slash game that sticks out of the crowd. There are a lot of missions and tough boss battles and it makes for a fun experience. Highly recommend it for being what it is.
  46. Sep 7, 2013
    I've never seen so many positive scores, that's awesome. I guess I'll rate it a 10 out of 10..........................................................
  47. Nov 2, 2013
    Castle Crashers brings us back to why we love games. It is reminiscent of old-school side-scrollers like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of regular Nintendo back in the early 90s. It is a simple game, so anyone can play it. I play anything and everything and this game had me addicted for the longest time. While the length isn't super long, it is still one of the longer arcade games. ItCastle Crashers brings us back to why we love games. It is reminiscent of old-school side-scrollers like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of regular Nintendo back in the early 90s. It is a simple game, so anyone can play it. I play anything and everything and this game had me addicted for the longest time. While the length isn't super long, it is still one of the longer arcade games. It has high replay value, so it is much longer. The game is best with friends, but you can solo it as well. I've played this game more than most full retail games and I highly recommend it to just about everyone. Expand
  48. Nov 5, 2013
    A fun game that you can enjoy alone or with your friends for hours on end! I love the artwork, the characters, the weapons design and the humor! Great gameplay, great soundtrack, lots of fun guaranteed! Highly recommended!
  49. Nov 9, 2013
    Castle Crashers looks like a standard beat-em-up game on the surface, but it's definitely more fun the average game of its type.
    In Castle Crashers you and your friends play as one of four knights who set off an epic journey to find the princesses that have been kidnapped. Why they were kidnapped beats me, so there are a couple of plot holes. Should you care? Not really, because this game doesn't really focus on the plot in the first place.

Each of these four knights have their own special ability that can be executed on the battlefield. You take your weapon, your shield, and your power, and you hack and slash through swarms of enemies and the occasional boss fight. Yes it has the potential to get boring, but I haven't reached that point yet.

Throughout the game, you can discover and pick up new weapons and little pets to follow you around, all to be saved in a little shed that you can go back to to change up your stats. So it's your decision whether you want to destroy enemies with an epic vorpal sword or a slab of meat, and whether you want a tiny floating ram following you around or a tiny floating cat.
    Each time you play through this game with a different knight, you unlock another character to rip through enemies with, which does add to the motivation of playing.

This game is very quirky. There will be moments in the background that make you look at it and say "Did that just happen?" in the ridiculous sense. These moments will even happen in the up close foreground. There are many moments that made me chuckle which made this game all the more appealing.

The soundtrack is pretty badass, to the point where I turned to my brother on multiple occasions and said "This soundtrack is awesome."

If you're looking for a coop game, local or online, definitely consider Castle Crashers. It was an enjoyable experience, but it's certainly one that requires you to play with others to be fully satisfied.

1. Every inch of the hand-drawn kingdom is brimming with endearing eccentricity. [Oct 2008, p.76]
    Castle Crashers takes the best elements of traditional side-scrolling beat-em-ups and adds lots of flair.
  3. Castle Crashers is an entertaining brawler, but the replay value is chopped into little frustrating bits by a horrifically painful online experience.