8.9

1. Nov 9, 2013
    Castle Crashers looks like a standard beat-em-up game on the surface, but it's definitely more fun the average game of its type.
    In Castle Crashers you and your friends play as one of four knights who set off an epic journey to find the princesses that have been kidnapped. Why they were kidnapped beats me, so there are a couple of plot holes. Should you care? Not really, because this game
    doesn't really focus on the plot in the first place.

Each of these four knights have their own special ability that can be executed on the battlefield. You take your weapon, your shield, and your power, and you hack and slash through swarms of enemies and the occasional boss fight. Yes it has the potential to get boring, but I haven't reached that point yet.

Throughout the game, you can discover and pick up new weapons and little pets to follow you around, all to be saved in a little shed that you can go back to to change up your stats. So it's your decision whether you want to destroy enemies with an epic vorpal sword or a slab of meat, and whether you want a tiny floating ram following you around or a tiny floating cat.
    Each time you play through this game with a different knight, you unlock another character to rip through enemies with, which does add to the motivation of playing.

This game is very quirky. There will be moments in the background that make you look at it and say "Did that just happen?" in the ridiculous sense. These moments will even happen in the up close foreground. There are many moments that made me chuckle which made this game all the more appealing.

The soundtrack is pretty badass, to the point where I turned to my brother on multiple occasions and said "This soundtrack is awesome."

If you're looking for a coop game, local or online, definitely consider Castle Crashers. It was an enjoyable experience, but it's certainly one that requires you to play with others to be fully satisfied.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    A fun game that you can enjoy alone or with your friends for hours on end! I love the artwork, the characters, the weapons design and the humor! Great gameplay, great soundtrack, lots of fun guaranteed! Highly recommended!
  3. Nov 2, 2013
    Castle Crashers brings us back to why we love games. It is reminiscent of old-school side-scrollers like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of regular Nintendo back in the early 90s. It is a simple game, so anyone can play it. I play anything and everything and this game had me addicted for the longest time. While the length isn't super long, it is still one of the longer arcade games. It has high replay value, so it is much longer. The game is best with friends, but you can solo it as well. I've played this game more than most full retail games and I highly recommend it to just about everyone. Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2013
    I've never seen so many positive scores, that's awesome. I guess I'll rate it a 10 out of 10..........................................................
  5. May 29, 2013
    This is a game that you need to play with friends, but once you do it is a fun experience. This is a colorful hack and slash game that sticks out of the crowd. There are a lot of missions and tough boss battles and it makes for a fun experience. Highly recommend it for being what it is.
  6. Mar 22, 2013
    Very fun... that is if you like this genre of gaming. I cannot recommend this game to you if you don't like Hack n' Slash, or Beat em' Ups. That is why this game loses two points. But the rest of the game is a blast. Great gameplay for the genre, and perfect graphics and art style. Combat and leveling up is a blast. The levels and enemies are creative and hilarious. And the soundtrack and sound effects are great to. And with an epic, "clowny" plot twist, you can't get better than Castle Crashers. If your a fan, that is. Expand
  7. Dec 3, 2012
    One of the best action RPG games I've ever played on a console.
    Too much fun, full of interesting challenges and crazy enemies.

This game deserves a sequel.
  8. Nov 25, 2012
    Not so easy and yet button-mashing, just how I like it. It's fun and it's funny; truly an addicting, original cartoony beat 'em up with a just dose of self-aware toilet humor. A simple review to maintain the simple spirit of the game and its devs hailing from Newgrounds. Minus points go to farming, which I've grown to hate lately in any of its forms, and DLCs, another idea I don't really fancy. These two minor complaints, however, come from things of the game that are optional, so everyone's happy. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2012
    A great game that somehow reminds me on the old consoles where I use to play when I was a kid, anyone remembers Double Dragon, Shinobi, etc ?
    It's a great game, highly recommended !
  10. Jul 30, 2012
    Castle Crashers is a fun and addictive game that keeps you glued to the screen until the end. And reaching the end, you immediately feel the urge to start over, with the new unlocked characters. The graphics and gameplay are simple but awesome, like games should be.
  11. Jan 21, 2012
    Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, picked this on sale through xbox live for 600 points and it was worth it. Co-op is where its at once again! The game has an addictive leveling system where you'll want to level up all the available characters, as well as replay levels for hidden secrets! Buy on ps3 or 360!
  12. Aug 19, 2011
    I wanted a cheap, fun game that I could play with my friends aaaaaand I found it! Castle Crashers is quite the game, at first glance it may not seem like much with it's 2D graphics and it's art style (which is very cute by the way), but there is a lot of fun to be had for anyone deciding to give the game a go. It's tame enough for kids, yet still great for the older folk (not kids). Highly recommended. Expand
  13. Jul 25, 2011
    I'm amazed that XBLA has a lot of better games than some of the typical games in retail part. Such a simple studio, can create addictive games, with good humor. The Co-op is a blast, if you don't play to much online games and want a cheap but great game, well this is for you.
  14. Apr 17, 2011
    this is a very entertaining game.story mode may only last about 4-5 hours but there is a lot of customizations you can make and once you beat the game there is another character you unlock.you can level up which makes the game addictive. online were you can compete with your friends or if you just want to have some fun then you can always play a few boss battles.BUY THIS GAME!
  15. Apr 8, 2011
    Great throw back to the days of sidescrolling beat em ups, a nice amount of humour, RPG elements with a levelling system and choice where you wish to spend a couple of points each time you level up to increase your speed, shield, strength or magic powers. A decent amount of levels and depth with a four player multiplayer option, a great game with little to complain about regarding faults. One of the best on xbox arcade. Expand
  16. DME
    Mar 21, 2011
    It's a lot of fun and designed very well. Rockin' graphics, fun special abilities, good sense of humor, awesome multiplayer, etc. The only problem I have with Castle Crashers is that it's extremely repetetive.
  17. Mar 19, 2011
    Castle Crashers is a fantastic XBLA game that is great to play with friends over. The humor and artwork allows CC to stand out from the crowd and make it a genuinely charming game. The multiplayer component just adds to its replay value. This is an essential Arcade game.
  18. Sep 20, 2010
    The Behemoth never ceases to amaze. It can be a tad bit frustrating at times due to the enemy's difficulty level, but if you're willing to keep fighting, you can find the brilliant humor and all of the other elements that make Castle Crashers a timeless game. I never thought I'd have this much fun playing a hack and slash game.
  19. Sep 11, 2010
    castle crashers is a truly amazing game, not only does it look great with some very funny scenes it also has 4 player co-op which is a real game changer for anybody with friends around often, even the bosses are humorous and original
  20. Sep 5, 2010
    This game is a fun, sidescroller beat-em up with good music and fun gameplay. It also has a lot of comedy in the middle of all of the fun gameplay. For example, as you are fighting through the forest and all of the animals are dying of constipation. The game lets you also play with up to 3 other players. As you can see, this game is loads of fun and can be fun with 3 other friends too.
  21. Jul 31, 2012
    It's a great game, highly recommended !

1. Every inch of the hand-drawn kingdom is brimming with endearing eccentricity. [Oct 2008, p.76]
    Castle Crashers takes the best elements of traditional side-scrolling beat-em-ups and adds lots of flair.
  3. Castle Crashers is an entertaining brawler, but the replay value is chopped into little frustrating bits by a horrifically painful online experience.