• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Mar 21, 2007
8.8

1. RyanP.
    May 2, 2007
    A great PSX game comes tot he 360 and what a what a welcome addition it is too. The controls carried over perfectly as did the graphics, music and the all important gameplay. Faultless execution linked with a lovely new hi-res graphic (you have choice to play is hi-res or original mode) makes this one of the best purchases on Live thus far.
  2. StephenR.
    Apr 20, 2007
    For me, Castlevania was my greatest experience ever on XBLA. Until the release I had never actually played it, but many people I knew told me how great it is and I decided to spend those 800 microsoft points for this masterpiece. The game is incredible, there are so many items to collect and it has a nice feeling to it, the style, the music, the funny dialog & all... The "levels" have For me, Castlevania was my greatest experience ever on XBLA. Until the release I had never actually played it, but many people I knew told me how great it is and I decided to spend those 800 microsoft points for this masterpiece. The game is incredible, there are so many items to collect and it has a nice feeling to it, the style, the music, the funny dialog & all... The "levels" have been incredibly well designed, as you see from the different areas and how well they work in both the regular and inverted castle. In my eyes, it's a great reason to spend 800 Microsoft points and it is most definitely worth every single one of them! So far I've played the game for 20 hours, nearly as long as I've played a few of my full-priced $70 games so you can't complain about pricing issues on this one, unlike other (more) retro titles like Gyruss & co. Expand
  3. JeremyP.
    Mar 24, 2007
    Never have I played a side-scroller with so much depth. I did not have the pleasure of played the original Castlevania:SOTN back on the PS1, but I am glad Konami decided to port this to XBLA. Everyone should get this, it's arcade game out there.
  4. ChrisP.
    Apr 11, 2007
    There are plenty of games you come back to after 10 years that aren't quite as good as you remember them. Usually you've built them up in your head and have an unrealistic view of how great they were. Symphony of the Night is not one of those games. Exploring Dracula's castle as the slightly-mysterious Alucard really is superb, possibly even better than I remembered. Why There are plenty of games you come back to after 10 years that aren't quite as good as you remember them. Usually you've built them up in your head and have an unrealistic view of how great they were. Symphony of the Night is not one of those games. Exploring Dracula's castle as the slightly-mysterious Alucard really is superb, possibly even better than I remembered. Why better? Well, even 10 years later it still feels like one of the best action/adventure games you've ever played. The graphics technology might be a bit dated but the artistic quality is without question and still stands up today. It's an absolutely beautiful 2D game and finally on Xbox 360 it can be played without any slowdown. Apart from some slightly dodgy voice acting, the sound is awesome and there is some of the best music you'll ever hear in a game. Basically, nearly every aspect of this game can still hold its own against any modern rival. It's the only game ever to take on Metroid at its own game and match it. It also has a great surprise in store for anyone thorough enough to explore the castle properly rather than just rush to the end. It's maybe not a surprise these days (partly because the Achievements on this version actually give it away) but 10 years ago it really stunned me like no other plot twist in any game I'd played. It's not perfect. Playing through a second time with the unlockable extra character is very tiresome because the game wasn't designed for him. There's a 'bug' that results in a couple of places where the map doesn't register that you have visited a location unless you turn into wolf form. However, these are minor gripes and without them I would be tempted to give this game 11 out of 10 anyway - it's that good. That this was the 13th game in the Castlevania series is even more impressive. It was a complete and brave transformation for the series at a time when it was actually doing rather well anyway and could probably have been left alone. The extent of the redesign is thrown right in your face at the start, with an opening sequence that actually has you playing the end of the previous game. Every subsequent game has lived in its shadow but also been inspired by its genius. And it really is a work of genius. One of those very rare games where everything seems right, clearly the work of a singular visionary on one of his best days. This would be good value as a proper boxed release but at 800 points (about £6.80) it's an unbelievable bargain and clearly the best Xbox Live Arcade game so far. It's also one of the best games of any kind anywhere. Expand
  5. PabloG.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Amazing game. I have never played a Castlevania game before, but after the first hour(steep learning curve and almost no instructions on sub-weapons, spells, or anything), I was hooked.
  6. Oct 8, 2010
    Game is awesome. i still have the psx version of the game and have it on Arcade now. (i have no ps2 :( )
    still playing it now years later and love still finding out new things about the game
  7. Sep 7, 2012
    How can anybody hate this game? They don't make games of this caliber anymore.The time and effort that have gone in this game shouldn ' t go unnoticed. The only thing i can complain about is at first the controls can be weird, I don't know how many times I would accidentally keep freezing time, or throwing holy waters. Maybe it's just me?lol..The music is great, The way Alucard walks looksHow can anybody hate this game? They don't make games of this caliber anymore.The time and effort that have gone in this game shouldn ' t go unnoticed. The only thing i can complain about is at first the controls can be weird, I don't know how many times I would accidentally keep freezing time, or throwing holy waters. Maybe it's just me?lol..The music is great, The way Alucard walks looks like some funky disco/walking/dance, I felt gay playing as Alucard because of the way he walks but when you figure out the "Y" trick you don't need to see him walk like that anymore.lol. The acting is horrible,but who cares about that anyway? I have played many games in my day and this game to me is a 2nd favorite of mine, right next to Chrono Trigger. Expand
  8. Feb 8, 2013
    SOTN is an absolute masterpiece. Get past the steep learning curve and experience its brilliance. After you complete the first castle, you'll be extremely happy at your purchase. When you figure out that you missed the second half of the game, amazement sets in.
  9. Feb 20, 2014
    Esse é o Melhor Castlevania de todos,trilha sonora,gráficos,jogabilidade.esse jogo merece versão até para o PS4 E XBOX ONE Esse jogo merece a Nota 10/10 É um grande classico do PS1.
  10. Apr 15, 2015
    One of the best platformers ever made with high replay ability and with a superb soundtrack that you will undoubtedly remember for the rest of your gaming life.
  11. WilliamJ.
    Apr 20, 2007
    Although I didn't have the original on playstation or Saturn, (playstation version suppose to be superior) I brought it on xbox live and as i played the game from its pretty lame introduction at the beginning I got into it. The speech surprised me and makes all the difference to the text, which would otherwise be dull. Musically this game is very very good and has themes all around Although I didn't have the original on playstation or Saturn, (playstation version suppose to be superior) I brought it on xbox live and as i played the game from its pretty lame introduction at the beginning I got into it. The speech surprised me and makes all the difference to the text, which would otherwise be dull. Musically this game is very very good and has themes all around the castle as you explore, from organs to 80's like pop music. The conversion has an option to switch to original or enhanced graphics. Enhanced graphics will be much preferred because it blurs the blocky graphics, something that the n64 did and playstation didn't. The game progress is help't by a map that is utterly ecential and gives much need ideas of where to go next. The lifespan is good as the completion of the normal castle will take something like 7-9 hours and theres even an ingenious inverted castle with completely different boss fights. Once this game is completed and done (which is very difficult) theres nothing to do. I give this 9/10 because of this. Expand
  12. Marc.D.
    May 23, 2007
    Buy it if you've never played it on the PSX. Buy it if you have. It's that good. SOTN is a testament to the longevity of excellent game design. A decade has done nothing to taint this game's appeal. After playing it...I'm eagerly anticipating the PSP release of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles...thanks in large part to a new version of SOTN packaged in. 360 Buy it if you've never played it on the PSX. Buy it if you have. It's that good. SOTN is a testament to the longevity of excellent game design. A decade has done nothing to taint this game's appeal. After playing it...I'm eagerly anticipating the PSP release of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles...thanks in large part to a new version of SOTN packaged in. 360 owners...do your Arcade library a favour and just get it. Expand
  13. JoshE.
    Mar 22, 2007
    10 years after I first played this game and it's still fantastic. There aren't too many retro releases that have lasting power in today's increasingly sophisticated gaming arena, but SotN has it, and how. With perfect gameplay design and pacing, I couldn't recommend it more.
  14. TimC
    Jul 24, 2008
    Simply excellent gaming for those who enjoy a bit of old school! Brilliant, lenghty and memorable. Highly recommended.
  15. ThomasR.
    Mar 22, 2007
    I admit, I have never played a Castlevania game before. However, after purchasing Castlevania: SotN I am now a fan of this series. A solid side scrolling action title. Buy it. Even if you have never heard of Castlevania before, just buy it.
  16. KevinA.
    Mar 26, 2007
    I'm embarrassed to say I have never played this game before. I went in without any expectations and wow is it good. The music is amazing and the addictive gameplay keeps you coming back to explore more of the castle. If you are on the fence about this one don't be. It's worth every penny.
  17. Jan 24, 2012
    This game keeps being as amazing as it was more than a decade ago, this port is everything that we needed since it keeps the gameplay unchanged and controls adapted perfectly and it has a really classic feel to it which is refreshing. There are many secrets to find in this game extending the gameplay and replay value and the RPG elements are great. The only issue I had with this game wasThis game keeps being as amazing as it was more than a decade ago, this port is everything that we needed since it keeps the gameplay unchanged and controls adapted perfectly and it has a really classic feel to it which is refreshing. There are many secrets to find in this game extending the gameplay and replay value and the RPG elements are great. The only issue I had with this game was the really difficult learning curve since its not the best game for starters. Overall this is an amazing game just like before at 800 microsoft points its easy to recommend. Expand
  18. Feb 28, 2013
    I have given this game a 9, bearing in mind that it was released in 1997. The game is a 2D side scrolling action RPG and takes place in a massive freeroaming castle environment. Not that much skill is involved as the player can gain strength etc by earning experience and finding better weapons and equipment. There are lots of clever puzzles and secrets in the game. The graphics and musicI have given this game a 9, bearing in mind that it was released in 1997. The game is a 2D side scrolling action RPG and takes place in a massive freeroaming castle environment. Not that much skill is involved as the player can gain strength etc by earning experience and finding better weapons and equipment. There are lots of clever puzzles and secrets in the game. The graphics and music is also great. I thought the story is a bit silly and a player will have to make sure to read up on the internet about save rooms, otherwise frustrations will follow. Expand
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Having never played the game previously when it was originally released on the Playstation it was something of a treat to play through for the first time in 2013.

The first game I ever played was on the SNEZ and happened to be Castlevania IV which I still think is an excellent game to this day so I had a declared interest in playing SOTN. When I discovered it was available on xbox live for £6 I bought it immediately and have not been disappointed! I love the 2D graphics and the atmosphere. It works so much better than a lot of the 2.5D games that are coming out at the moment because the creature animations have a certain eerie or grotesque quality about them that only seems to be achievable in this sort of 2D. I just cant see Beezlebub or the Legion boss being as unsettling when rendered in 3D because I don't think the artistry would be there.

The game does actually take some getting into and I wasn't initially all that blown away. I think this was largely to do with a significant lack of a back story and being left with little to no sense of direction when attempting to tackle the huge castle map. This is a by product of modern gaming's frequent bouts of 'hand holding' however and once I slipped back into the mindset of the good old days of the more cryptic secret filled era of gaming I was more than happy. I will say I had to consult a walkthrough on numerous occasions, particularly in order to get going but since I've gotten into the swing of things I feel this directionless style of gameplay really suits as it allows for replay value and surprises.

All in all I feel this is a gem of a game however I feel it won't be appreciated be all gamers, particularly the younger generation who haven't grown up with some of the balls out cryptic ridiculousness that the earlier consoles offered. One down side however is the inability to swing your weapon upwards or diagonally upward, I don't know why this was present in Castlevania IV all those years ago but has since been removed.
  20. May 29, 2013
    This is definitely worth 10 dollars. While the voice acting is cheesy, the gameplay is addicting and I enjoyed exploring the castle. You're probably going to need a strategy guide as it is a HUGE game and easy to miss stuff.
  21. SimonP.
    Jul 4, 2007
    I couldn't quite see what the fuss was about when I first played this, but it began to grow and grow on me. It has two things - an addictive quality and above all charm. Although a PS1 game, it reminds me more of some of the best SNES side-scrollers. Game-play is varied and challenging and the limited RPG element of levelling up weapons adds depth. The graphics aren't I couldn't quite see what the fuss was about when I first played this, but it began to grow and grow on me. It has two things - an addictive quality and above all charm. Although a PS1 game, it reminds me more of some of the best SNES side-scrollers. Game-play is varied and challenging and the limited RPG element of levelling up weapons adds depth. The graphics aren't outstanding even for a PS1 game, but they have character and a great level of variety and detail. Sound is first-rate with some suitably gothic soundtracks. Being 38, I love the idea of retro games because they remind me of happy times when I played them first time around, but usually once the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia come off I don't tend to return to them for extended play. This game is very addictive though and now I'm finding myself snatching a half hour on it every morning between my girlfriend leaving for work and me having to do the same. Overall, it Expand
  22. Dec 21, 2010
    Excellent atmosphere, huge non-linear platforming game, great graphics that still hold up to this day, a huge assortment of weapons and enemies, giant bosses and one of the best video game soundtracks of all time. On the downside, the D-Pad controls are WAY too sensitive (e.g. you'll accidentally use subweapons or the spell "dark metamorphosis" constantly) and the game is painfully easy.Excellent atmosphere, huge non-linear platforming game, great graphics that still hold up to this day, a huge assortment of weapons and enemies, giant bosses and one of the best video game soundtracks of all time. On the downside, the D-Pad controls are WAY too sensitive (e.g. you'll accidentally use subweapons or the spell "dark metamorphosis" constantly) and the game is painfully easy. When confronted with a difficult situation there's always an easier way through, such as turning to mist, a bat, leveling up or equipping some weapon that improves your resistances. Even without that, Alucard is just immensely powerful and most enemies take so little health upon impact that it's a wonder if you'll ever die. Expand
  23. Mar 7, 2012
    I think this was a classic sinse the PS1 was what the school groopies were yapping about. The game itself tells a story in it's mindless side scrolling, which is pretty impressive, and the fighting is well crafted. Worth spending your X360 points on.
  24. Aug 2, 2013
    For a game that is almost fifteen years old Symphony of the Night holds up remarkable well. A 2D action RPG it takes the template from the Metroid series presenting players with a huge castle (home of Dracula) to traverse that gradually unlocks as weapons, abilities and equipment are (re)discovered. Being an RPG defeating enemies of course allows you to level up. Although there is no realFor a game that is almost fifteen years old Symphony of the Night holds up remarkable well. A 2D action RPG it takes the template from the Metroid series presenting players with a huge castle (home of Dracula) to traverse that gradually unlocks as weapons, abilities and equipment are (re)discovered. Being an RPG defeating enemies of course allows you to level up. Although there is no real ability for the type of customisation found in more modern titles this does make all the backtracking to find newly accessible areas slightly less of a chore than it might otherwise have been.

The gameplay itself is fast paced and varied with a range of different enemy types each with their own attack patterns to keep players on their toes. Evidence of the games age is certainly visible in the rather blurry graphics, terrible script and somewhat unresponsive controls (although that last one may have more to do with the Xbox 360 pad). To be honest this is a game crying out for a modern day remake but for now you could do a lot worse than give Symphony of the Night a try.
  25. May 27, 2012
    This game was pretty good. It felt a bit short though, I dunno I think i missed some secrets maybe.

1. It was, and still is, a gaming masterpiece. The term ‘Must Buy’ was created for games like this.
  2. Symphony of the Night was an amazing adventure back in 1997, and even after 10 years, it's still most definitely worth playing.
  3. With a mixture of open-ended gameplay elements, more advanced controls, and a gripping story, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the epitome of the side-scrolling genre.