7.7

1. Jun 18, 2011
    So, I bought Child of Eden yesterday, and I've been wanting this game since I heard that 'Rez' was getting a sequel. Then I found out after E3 it was Kinect-able. I nearly lost my mind at the thought of actually using my hands to guide the tracer! In the short time I played it (about 2 hours) before bed last night, I completed almost 60% of the chapters. Although with some games, thisSo, I bought Child of Eden yesterday, and I've been wanting this game since I heard that 'Rez' was getting a sequel. Then I found out after E3 it was Kinect-able. I nearly lost my mind at the thought of actually using my hands to guide the tracer! In the short time I played it (about 2 hours) before bed last night, I completed almost 60% of the chapters. Although with some games, this would be a complete failure, I played 'Matrix' a good 3 times last night because the challenge isn't just about getting through the level, its purifying the cells to 100% and making the most fluid soundtrack you can with the motions you make as a Kinect player. I can somehow forgive it's 'shortness' because of the immaculate graphics and generally insane detail put in. Playing such a visually stimulating game in HD on a large screen, is something to behold. Although it seems a lot of the reviews are concentrating on the fact that it is a short game, current trends in DLC and extra, post-release content will no doubt expand the game again, for a small fee of course. And if you're playing this game with a pad, you're missing out on about 3/4 of the choas. This game was, and still is, ahead of it's time. 10/10 Collapse
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    I spent a large part of my life trying to convince people to play Rez on the Dreamcast... and I have a feeling im about to start all over again with Child of Eden using Kinect. The first thing I must say is that the 'controller' option for the game did feel a little clunky after spending time with Kinect. It was nothing to do with accuracy, but the on screen reticule just seemed to moveI spent a large part of my life trying to convince people to play Rez on the Dreamcast... and I have a feeling im about to start all over again with Child of Eden using Kinect. The first thing I must say is that the 'controller' option for the game did feel a little clunky after spending time with Kinect. It was nothing to do with accuracy, but the on screen reticule just seemed to move slower when using the controller, and that bothered me. So for this reviewer Kinect is absolutely the way to go. The game itself is sheer bliss. An eclectic orgy of mesmerising colour, ethereal sounds wrapped round light techno beats, and mind blowing conceptual imagery that will actually make the players eyes water when deeply engaged. It's just so beautiful. The gameplay is spot as well. It really is an absolute pleasure to move around the game space and take down the on-screen foes. Switching from 'lock-on' to 'tracer' is effortless, and at no point did I find the game cheap or badly designed. I love Child of Eden. And as with Rez, I know already that it will be one of my favourite, and most played, games of all time. Materpiece Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    Hi i am new and this is my first review.
    I think the game with big tv and the volume up, is very good.The optical and the acoustic part of the game is fantastic.Without playing rez, i like very much this game.IT'S MAGICAL!!!Also i like that the controller is vibrating with the rhythm of the game.I didn't play it with kinect because i havent.
  4. Jun 16, 2011
    Those complaining that they "beat" this game in a few hours are not getting the point. Child of Eden is the sequel to Rez, but with better sound, graphics, and quite possibly, more emotional impact. Before Rez came out on the Dreamcast, few knew what the word synesthesia was, much less how to describe it. Both CoE and Rez are shining examples. Both are short but brilliant, with a tonThose complaining that they "beat" this game in a few hours are not getting the point. Child of Eden is the sequel to Rez, but with better sound, graphics, and quite possibly, more emotional impact. Before Rez came out on the Dreamcast, few knew what the word synesthesia was, much less how to describe it. Both CoE and Rez are shining examples. Both are short but brilliant, with a ton of replayability (thank you leaderboards). The on-rails shooter offers more surprises than many other more open-world games, and the graphic and audio design is beyond compare.

If you are unsure about this game, get Rez in the Marketplace (or a demo of it if one is available). It's $10. If you like that, Child of Eden is the sequel, but on steroids. Graphically and aurally stunning in every way, but perhaps not for everyone, CoE is a rare videogame experience that will stick with you long after you've "beat" the game.
  5. Jun 15, 2011
    CoE is one of a kind for two reasons. 1. It is a FPS in the stylistic sense, but not in relation to its content. FPS games have been hijacked by people who want our generation to be obsessed with war; hijacked by those who want us to lose our imagination and leave it in place of romanticized ideas of WWII and the like. 2. Shamanic witchcraft is back in the 21st century: you're using yourCoE is one of a kind for two reasons. 1. It is a FPS in the stylistic sense, but not in relation to its content. FPS games have been hijacked by people who want our generation to be obsessed with war; hijacked by those who want us to lose our imagination and leave it in place of romanticized ideas of WWII and the like. 2. Shamanic witchcraft is back in the 21st century: you're using your hands to control the game and "shoot," which as far as I know, is the first time this has ever been done. The reviewer below me who says "this game can be played with a controller" is missing the beauty! THIS GAME CAN BE PLAYED WITHOUT A CONTROLLER!!! Expand
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    *NOTE:THIS GAME CAN BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER*

Words cannot do this game justice. Not because it's ultimately superior, but just because it's just different. It's a tad short, but it has plenty of replay value and unlockables. It's a great game for all ages, and all levels of experience. If you are unsure and wary about spending the money, I saw a game called "Q3" at Gamestop
    *NOTE:THIS GAME CAN BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER*

It's a great game for all ages, and all levels of experience. If you are unsure and wary about spending the money, I saw a game called "Q3" at Gamestop that's down to about $13 now that is a 3-pack that contains "REZ HD", the predecessor of Child of Eden.

Pick up REZ HD and if you like it, Child of Eden will blow your mind. (The bigger the TV and sound system, the better.)
  7. Jun 15, 2011
    For those of you calling this REZ 2, I must let you know that this game far surpasses Rez in graphics, music and controls. Mizuguchi's soul is still blaring out of your audio and visual stimuli-resonators, but the game is unique. One of the most unique games of my lifetime, and of yours if you give it a go.
  8. Jun 15, 2011
    welcome to the world of controlling the entire universe with your hands!!!! two thumbs up!! five smiles!! twelve toes crossed!!! best game i've played in years!!! you have to try it!!!
  9. Jun 16, 2011
    Child of Eden is an incredible journey into a digital universe. The music and visuals are amazing. The Kinect control is spot on. I was impressed at how smooth the game played when you use both hands at different times (for different weapon types) and how accurate it was. It is well worth the money and worth picking up over the other games that have been released recently. I didn'tChild of Eden is an incredible journey into a digital universe. The music and visuals are amazing. The Kinect control is spot on. I was impressed at how smooth the game played when you use both hands at different times (for different weapon types) and how accurate it was. It is well worth the money and worth picking up over the other games that have been released recently. I didn't give it a perfect score because it is a tad short. However, I will have to say that I was using Kinect to play it and my arm is killing me now :) Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    This game has the power to move one to tears.
    It's beautiful, emotional, rewarding, powerful and simply...special.
    It is like the kind of movie that haunts you years after viewing. Besides it is the first game after playing I felt happy for buying a kinect. Kinect is totally capable of serious games, what a relief. Yes it is short, but to me it is definitely a keeper which I can pick up
    This game has the power to move one to tears.
    It's beautiful, emotional, rewarding, powerful and simply...special.
    It is like the kind of movie that haunts you years after viewing.
    Yes it is short, but to me it is definitely a keeper which I can pick up again whenever I just want to watch and hear something that put a real smile on my face.
  11. Jun 14, 2011
    The strength of this game is in its SMOOTHNESS. Not many words to really describe it with... I don't know, FLUIDITY. DYNAMIC-INTER-RELATEDNESS-OF-IMPOSSIBLE-AND-COOL-AESTHETICS. Just watch the trailer. It's exactly like that. But better. Yes, it's short. But you feel like you've taken a bunch of drugs when you play it. If you want to have a party where people pop pills or get wasted orThe strength of this game is in its SMOOTHNESS. Not many words to really describe it with... I don't know, FLUIDITY. DYNAMIC-INTER-RELATEDNESS-OF-IMPOSSIBLE-AND-COOL-AESTHETICS. Just watch the trailer. It's exactly like that. But better. Yes, it's short. But you feel like you've taken a bunch of drugs when you play it. If you want to have a party where people pop pills or get wasted or something just simply have it on in the background and everybody will enjoy themselves. It's unbelievable. Expand
  12. Oct 3, 2011
    Works amazingly well if you have Kinect f it really does make you feel like you are part of the game.far better than using controllers
    Brilliant.........
  13. Jun 21, 2011
    This is the most fun game I've ever played on the XBOX 360. The graphics and the controls are like nothing I have ever seen in my life. I recommend this game more than any other game on the market right now.
  14. Jun 28, 2011
    Only played it for an hour, and I can tell that it's going to be quite an experience. If you complain it's too short, I'd argue that you're missing the point. Not to sound hipster, but I really think this is the new breed of game. It's a little cheaper (in the future, I think games will continue to get cheaper, as well) and a little shorter. I think it's just something that will wearOnly played it for an hour, and I can tell that it's going to be quite an experience. If you complain it's too short, I'd argue that you're missing the point. Not to sound hipster, but I really think this is the new breed of game. It's a little cheaper (in the future, I think games will continue to get cheaper, as well) and a little shorter. I think it's just something that will wear off in time--I've been a core gamer since I was three, but I just don't have 20-30 hours of time to devote to one experience anymore. This game is exactly what it needs to be--a fun, short diversion that grabs you with interesting gameplay and visuals. Expand
  15. Jul 11, 2011
    I hadn't heard of this game until it started getting rave reviews and once it's price dropped on Amazon, I couldn't resist.

Most of the praise you've heard about this game is accurate. The Kinect controls (assuming you are in a spacious, properly-lit room) are a revelation. At first, you may be skeptical. The right hand controls are a little meh at first and it takes a little while to get used to it. But as soon as you get the opportunity to use the rapid-fire left hand controls, you will be sold. Thrusting your palm forward and watching the purple bullets fly as they play a steady percussive rhythm is a great feeling. The level design is basically perfect. Each stage is about 15 minutes long and each moment is memorable in its own way.

That being said, the negative things you've heard are largely accurate as well. The game is criminally short. While I haven't played its predecessor, "Rez" (though I now fully intend to), the nearly universal opinion is that, if you aren't using the Kinect controls, "Rez" is superior from a gameplay and story perspective. The fact that you have to restart an entire song from the beginning if you fail may not sound so bad, but when each song is about 15 minutes long, it can get very frustrating.

I also was constantly frustrated by how finicky the Kinect could be. When you start the game, it seems to recalibrate your sensor for basically no reason. It also never succeeded in logging me in based on my face, something other games have never had a problem with. I wish that the Kinect had a more accurate way of detecting hands. Right now, it basically detects hands as an extension of the skeleton that it builds from your whole body. In other words, in order for it to read your hands, it needs to see most of your body. That really shouldn't be necessary. I should be able to play this game sitting down, yet every attempt I made displeased the Kinect sensor. If the Kinect is going to succeed, they're going to have to improve the firmware and the detection methods so that using the Kinect is significantly less problematic. People need to be able to play from their chairs and couches. They need to be able to play with their friends sitting next to them. Otherwise, it will always be more trouble than it's worth.

But I digress.

The fact is that the things this game does right far outweigh its short-comings. The game is absolutely beautiful, the gameplay is unique, it is the second game that has made me glad that I bought a Kinect, the music is fantastic, and the story, while very simple, still manages to be involving.

I paid about $35 for this game, and I'd say that's a reasonable price. You could just rent it, but this seems like the kind of game you'd like to own. I could easily imagine myself wanting to play it again or showing it to friends. I will say that I feel bad for anyone who paid $50 for this game. As remarkable as this game is, that price does not seem reasonable. However, price shouldn't be the main focus of any review. If the price tag is too high for you, you can wait. That's what I did. Still, I wouldn't wait too long, and please don't buy this game used. Games like this should be encouraged. This is the sort of game we never get, so please let Ubisoft know how much we appreciate that they published a unique game like this.
  16. Jan 7, 2015
    For me, Child of Eden is the first step towards Star Trek-style holodecks. Since its debut, Kinect was never really utilised to its full potential. Sure, we had a plethora of exercise and sports games, and shoehorned-in embarrassments like holding onto an imaginary steering wheel as a method of control in Forza 4, but Child of Eden was different. It was the only game I played thisFor me, Child of Eden is the first step towards Star Trek-style holodecks. Since its debut, Kinect was never really utilised to its full potential. Sure, we had a plethora of exercise and sports games, and shoehorned-in embarrassments like holding onto an imaginary steering wheel as a method of control in Forza 4, but Child of Eden was different. It was the only game I played this generation which really considered what Kinect could bring to the table for traditional games and made use of its strengths in an abstract way. It was the most similar experience to using a control pad that motion controls managed. Gameplay was never compromised on account of the control scheme - it was a key consideration of its incorporation, not an afterthought. You had the precision aiming afforded by the ability to point your arm in the direction of the enemy, and at the same time all it took to unleash your fire was an outward flick of your fingers. It's difficult to convey in words, but using Kinect to play Child of Eden is really just an absolute ton of fun, and you feel totally in control as you conduct your way though its visual symphony. It's an experience unlike anything else I've sampled in videogaming.

Having said that, the standard controller is catered for, but the difference in feel between the two control schemes almost makes it feel like a completely different game. The pad is certainly no less valid a choice, indeed for the average player it's probable that using a pad will lead to higher scores, but having tried both I can definitely say that it doesn't feel like the full experience without Kinect.

Thinking back on it now, Rez was a game that I never really wanted a sequel to. It was, and remains, one of my all-time favourites, but I think I felt it was unlikely that Tetsuya Mizuguchi's team would ever be able to match it, let alone surpass it, so subconsciously I didn't desire that they even try. But back in the early 2000s I never imagined that something like Kinect, something with the capability to further the sensory experience immeasurably, would exist ten years later. And I think Mizuguchi held the same viewpoint as I did. He was waiting for an advancement in technology before revisiting the concept. Maybe Child of Eden was the game he always wanted Rez to be. When the news first broke of its existence at E3 2010, I was so excited at the possibilities. Luckily, it turned out that all my hopes would be fulfilled.

Child of Eden is a masterpiece. Each of the stages are dazzling to look at, delightful to hear and wonderful to play through. The music, I feel, suits the game perfectly. The artistic direction is much more organic than Rez's Tron-like aesthetic, and Genki Rockets' less mechanical tunes complement the levels magnificently. The fact that the whole soundtrack was done by the same group gives the proceedings a sense of uniformity that Rez's disparate artists couldn't cultivate. The major gameplay addition over Rez is the ability to gain increased score multipliers by releasing your octo-lock at the moment of the beat, and this introduces a new dimension of complexity. If you can keep your shots in time with the beat you can build up to a maximum 8x multiplier, but miss one and you're back to square one and have to start building again.

Ultimately, Child of Eden is a rail shooter videogame, but it is much more than the sum of its parts. Hopefully the inclusion of the updated Kinect as standard with every Xbox One will mean that developers will be more confident in exploring the possibilities of full-body motion control, knowing that their maximum possible audience is every owner of the console, and in future we might see some games that surpass this one's vision and creativity. Child of Eden gave me hope that we haven't reached an innovation dead-end in this increasingly corporate and risk-averse industry, and that's not a bad legacy to leave.
  17. Sep 9, 2011
    A fantastic mix of visual style and creativity, Child of Eden builds on the core concepts of Rez, but also plays it safe by not adding too much to overcomplicate the original formula. The resulting game is every bit as mesmerizing, even if it strays close to being too predictable at times. Kinect players get an added bonus via a new way to control the game that feels more satisfying atA fantastic mix of visual style and creativity, Child of Eden builds on the core concepts of Rez, but also plays it safe by not adding too much to overcomplicate the original formula. The resulting game is every bit as mesmerizing, even if it strays close to being too predictable at times. Kinect players get an added bonus via a new way to control the game that feels more satisfying at times than a controller, but supporting both really allows you to have the final say on what's best. Child of Eden isn't a traditional game and there are few games left that take audio-visual creativity to this level. If you already have the right audio setup to truly appreciate Child of Eden, you won't be disappointed. Play it loud and enjoy a unique video game experience. Expand
  18. Jan 9, 2015
    child of eden is without a doubt. the best rail shooter for now. maybe it's not considered a rail shooter and more of a music game. but child of eden is stylish. and visually stunning. the game has breathtaking colors. sometimes developers imagination is up high. and that's were it is. child of eden is great on the ps3. but AWESOME on the xbox 360. it can be addicting. and fun. the visualschild of eden is without a doubt. the best rail shooter for now. maybe it's not considered a rail shooter and more of a music game. but child of eden is stylish. and visually stunning. the game has breathtaking colors. sometimes developers imagination is up high. and that's were it is. child of eden is great on the ps3. but AWESOME on the xbox 360. it can be addicting. and fun. the visuals are so stunning and combined with the awesome music that make you feel down in tears. and cry i want more of this. and just feel happy and emotional with yourself, i give this game such a high score. due to the underrated moments of it. and the crazy results that are so much better than Call of duty and fps **** Expand
  19. Jan 5, 2015
    This game is so virtually stunning, it makes me want to cry. A big problem some people have with this game is that it's a tad short, and that might be true, but hey, you can always play the game over again on hard mode or do the never-ending archive, hope, that you unlock after you beat the Journey archive, the fifth one. Also, after you beat the journey archive, you're treated with anThis game is so virtually stunning, it makes me want to cry. A big problem some people have with this game is that it's a tad short, and that might be true, but hey, you can always play the game over again on hard mode or do the never-ending archive, hope, that you unlock after you beat the Journey archive, the fifth one. Also, after you beat the journey archive, you're treated with an amazing ending that you'll have to experience to appreciate fully. However, I do agree it's a bit short, but I think it's amazing other than that small detail. Expand
  20. Jun 18, 2011

1. Dec 12, 2011
    It's worth mentioning that even though the game can (and should) be played with Kinect the option is there to play this title with the standard controller. In this mode it definitely feels like a follow up to Rez. But quite honestly after putting down the joystick and playing, it was extremely tough to go back to the 'old style' of control.
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    An interesting and entertaining combination of shoot 'em up gameplay, electro music and technoesque visuals. Very much like Rez, then. [June 2011]
    Try it only if you're not even slightly epileptic. [Issue#207]