Dark Souls Xbox 360

8.5

1. Jul 17, 2012
    After playing countless hours of online shooters and starting to become jaded and bored of gaming, this game could not have come at a better time for me. I was hooked from the barebones, albeit challenging, opening tutorial on. In a video game reality where even learning the basics could be challenging yet fun I knew I was in for some much needed gaming satisfaction with this one. TheAfter playing countless hours of online shooters and starting to become jaded and bored of gaming, this game could not have come at a better time for me. I was hooked from the barebones, albeit challenging, opening tutorial on. In a video game reality where even learning the basics could be challenging yet fun I knew I was in for some much needed gaming satisfaction with this one. The problem I'd started to get into with prior gaming experiences was that campaigns would constantly flow between being way too easy to being too difficult and I just lost interest. The beauty of Dark Souls, simply as an experience in and of itself, is that it manages to stay challenging the entire first playthrough but not in a way that if you've already beaten it, or figured out how to conquer a part of the game already, you will still find it challenging. That's what I enjoy most about this game is once you figure something out, you can use that knowledge to make what amounts to be a very challenging game, a lot less challenging over time. I enjoyed my time playing Skyrim as well but I actually prefer the style of Dark Souls graphics and the combat system a lot more. Combat in Dark Souls includes the ability to parry blows, block with shield or weapon depending on what you have equipped, deal critical "back-stab" hits if the character is positioned right, and slug away with both strong and standard damage attacks that vary greatly in implementation and usefulness depending on weapon type. There are a lot of different weapon types too but not so many that it gets overly confusing and you want to stick to one or two standby weapons all the time. I like the bleed effect that sharp katana bladed weapons have, so even if you have a low attack rating on a katana, if you hit a fleshy enemy enough times you can deal anywhere from 25%-50% of their health in damage. Playing this way enables you to explore different class builds and strategies. It should also be noted that the "load" system is well thought-out too, with players using bulky weapons and armor having less mobility but not paralyzingly less mobility. Magic and ranged weapons have their ability to dominate in the game as well so you aren't limited to always needing a strong melee weapon on hand. Various character building strategies can be implemented so as to keep the game fresh and play through multiple times. I should not that I've beaten the game a total of 5 times. The first time it was often agonizingly slow to progress but still satisfying to play after 70 hours. The second time it took me roughly 30 hours and I savored it this time around. The third time I beat it in about 20, knowing which smaller areas could be skipped while still managing to progress through to the end of the game. The last time I beat it I did so with practically no leveling up for extra stats to help. That in itself shows off what kind of game this is. One that can be beaten with sheer knowledge and skill alone (not exploits) is one-of-a-kind. It's too easy in other RPGs like Skyrim to just level up smithing or whatever have you and build super strong weapons or magic, etc. and rally to the end that way. In fact, in Skyrim grinding is absolutely necessary at times. In Dark Souls is ill-advised. So decide what you'd rather be doing for hours on end, learning to master a game as a player or learning to master it as your character.

Moving on, the plot is virtually non-existant aside from being a premise and a justification for why you encounter bosses at certain points throughout the game. That said though the plot is bare it leaves a lot of mystery to other aspects of the game so it helps with the already lonely, desolate feel of it all.

I recommend this game to anyone that wants a unique gaming experience they can savor for awhile and feel satisfied, maybe even proud, for having done so.
  2. Aug 16, 2012
    IMO the best game this generation. I love playing through the game, building new characters, helping new players and invading the vets. The game just refuses to get old, I can't think of higher praise. And with new content on the way I maybe playing this for a very long time.
  3. Oct 1, 2012
    After a bit of a rocky start Dark Souls has steadily grown on me to the point that it has become my #1 game of all time displacing Oblivion and Knights of the Old Republic. The game is very difficult especially to those who've never played demon souls. I own both the 360 and pc versions. I've invested around 300 hours into the game and have played it through 3 times. The only otherAfter a bit of a rocky start Dark Souls has steadily grown on me to the point that it has become my #1 game of all time displacing Oblivion and Knights of the Old Republic. The game is very difficult especially to those who've never played demon souls. I own both the 360 and pc versions. I've invested around 300 hours into the game and have played it through 3 times. The only other games I've played more than once are Halo and KOTOR. My only real concern at this point is that DS has ruined all other video games for me; I simply won't play button mashers again! You need to be patient, build your skill and understanding of the upgrade paths and character building. When you are frustrated take a break and come back to it. I am looking forward to my next play-through where I'll simply focus on the pvp aspect of the game which involves invading other players worlds and punishing other players that have sinned! The game has it's flaws such as targeting strangeness, enemy weapons passing through walls, a sparse story line and lack of manual but I still have to give the game a 10 for overall enjoyment and value. I've seen a few low scores given to this game which are simply ridiculous. I myself nearly rage quit but kept with it. Expand
  4. Feb 17, 2015
    The Good - fun combat and a big world to explore. Good customization.

The Bad - It's a long list, but the main ones: 1. The Cult-like fanboys of this game claim it is the hardest game out there....BS. The only truly difficult part of this game is the beginning bosses aren't scaled. The later bosses are the same toughness, but you are leveled with better equipment making the vast
    The Good - fun combat and a big world to explore. Good customization.

The Bad - It's a long list, but the main ones:

1. The Cult-like fanboys of this game claim it is the hardest game out there....BS. The only truly difficult part of this game is the beginning bosses aren't scaled. The later bosses are the same toughness, but you are leveled with better equipment making the vast majority a cakewalk (and parry/ reposte is so op broken that anything less than a boss, and even some of them, is laughable). That lack of scaling (both ways) is a huge fail. I was as disappointed with the incredible toughness of the first few bosses as I was with the lack of challenge of the last 2/3rds. (Bed of Chaos....what a joke).

2. Whomever designed this basically single player game to include live mp content was a moron. You can't pause the game for any reason (bathroom) or some "committed" fanboy will invade your realm and kill you (if you are human)....and that's in 2015...I can't imagine how annoying that would have been when the game was popular.....unbelievable fail. Many games have a mp component to a sp game....BUT THEY'RE SEPARATE!!!!!!!

3. Story really, really sucks. In truth there really is no story as you could "complete" the game without ever knowing what you were doing or why. Again, the fanboys claim that is by design and that the game doesn't "hold your hand" like all other RPG's....joke on both fronts. Outside of Fable, I have never encountered an RPG that holds your hand more than this game....every 5 feet there is an unmissable note on the floor telling you exactly what to do right in that exact spot...even though you have no idea why you are doing it.....the lack of story is why this game has so many player communities on the net as nobody knows what to do or why.

4. Inventory system is the worst I have ever experienced.....you can't sell your junk and by the time you figure that out, simply dropping the stuff (and no, dupes are not stacked!!!) takes forever...what the ^%& is the point of 25 broken swords!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Jun 17, 2015
    Unforgiving this game doesn't hold your hand explains nothing at all and asks from you to figure everything out by yourself. If you like this than maybe it's for you. But beware the gameplay gets repetitive and the enemies just stronger and more unfair.
  6. Oct 31, 2014
    This and the other souls games are all very similar which is great. They offer the best action rpg gameplay ever concieved alongside a gorgeous, dark and frightening world that should not be missed by any gamer. I cant stress enough how atmospheric and tense this game is. It will truly get your heart racing and your mind working. There are tons of really well hidden secrets and reallyThis and the other souls games are all very similar which is great. They offer the best action rpg gameplay ever concieved alongside a gorgeous, dark and frightening world that should not be missed by any gamer. I cant stress enough how atmospheric and tense this game is. It will truly get your heart racing and your mind working. There are tons of really well hidden secrets and really beautiful loot to collect. Everything here has a purpose, and every area and enemy must be taken seriously. The result is an amazing work of art that is as engaging as it is beautiful. The difficulty is really a plus and should not be something that turns gamers off. The sense of accomplishment you will get from each small victory is so cool and really helps this game get its hooks in you. Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2014
    To say Dark Souls is challenging is an understatement. Dark Souls is about as challenging as video games get. It's that challenge that will drive you to play the game through to the end and it's what makes it so satisfying to complete each challenge. Dark Souls is only for the hardcore but they will get a lot out of it.

Alongside the challenge is an excellent combat system. It's fun and

Alongside the challenge is an excellent combat system. It's fun and hard to fight the enemies. It preforms flawlessly and works well with the RPG system. The bosses are some of the best not only of this generation but some of them will go down as the best bosses ever. They aren't your typical bosses, in fact many of them are completely unique. They are all hard as nails and so very satisfying to kill. If you're a hardcore gamer looking for a genuinely challenging experience look no further.
  8. Mar 8, 2015
    Funny to see all the negative reviews regurgitating the same thing over and over again...
    Dark Souls is not for everyone and is a brilliant game, truly one of a kind.

If you are willing to learn and put forth the time needed to get descent, Dark Souls is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences out there.
  9. Mar 12, 2015
    If ever asked what game could captivate such an immerse experience for someone, I would right away say: Dark Souls.

The world, the art style, the music, the ambience and loneliness that comes with your character, it's all so chilling and eerie in it's atmosphere. By the end of the game, I truly had to sit there and ask what I had actually acomplished, but in a good way, in terms of the plot and my character's development. Without being harsh and to come across as bigoted, I am sad that some of the more 'simple' players can't see the beauty of this games hidden story and imagination that comes with it. In this game, the story is your story. The journey is yours and thus not much of the story is set in stone, you create this in your head yourself. Sure, there are many theories out there that delve into great detail about this sort of thing on Youtube and I really do recommend them, but do remember that your imagination is still valid and neither correct or wrong.

The combat is also very viseral, realistic (to an extent, it's a game of course) and tense. Sure, the game is prized on it's difficulty, but it's a dying shame to have that be the focus of why to play this. The difficulty adds to your experience. But that is of course my opinion, you can play the game exactly how you want to play it or for whatever reason.

However, don't expect easy co-op sessions with your friends, it's just unheard of. It's to do with connecting via the mulitplayer set up they've created. If you want a co-op Dark Souls game, try the second one as it's much easier for it.

In conclusion: fantastic game
  10. May 22, 2015
    I originally hated Demon's Souls, yet I decided to buy Dark Souls three days after release. I died and died and died. After making it to Bell Gargoyles after 15 hours in my first playthrough, I gave up. I came back three months later, and for some reason, I enjoyed it. I restarted the game, explored every aspect of the world I could, looked up help online, and had an amazingI originally hated Demon's Souls, yet I decided to buy Dark Souls three days after release. I died and died and died. After making it to Bell Gargoyles after 15 hours in my first playthrough, I gave up. I came back three months later, and for some reason, I enjoyed it. I restarted the game, explored every aspect of the world I could, looked up help online, and had an amazing experience. After learning how to play this game, I easily completed Dark Souls 2. Now, this series is my second favorite of all time. Expand
  11. Dec 28, 2011
    "You Died"
    "You Died" Get used to that as you're going to see it A LOT. Let me start off with some positives: considering how large the game world is, there is zero load time. The world looks amazing and is vastly populated with seemingly endless, forever spawning enemies that are so hard, their nightmares are afraid of them. But that's where it ends for me. Don't get me
    "You Died"
    Get used to that as you're going to see it A LOT.

But that's where it ends for me.
    Don't get me wrong, I love a challenging game, but when I say a challenge, I mean one that isn't a chore to grind through for three hours whilst dying and returning to your checkpoint 15 minutes sprint away.

And that's a massive failure to me, not only do the checkpoints happen only during a full solar eclipse, but if you stop by after killing 5 baddies, and you heal up, be prepared to kill those guys again, as they seemingly come back to life.

Enemies also seemingly never run out of stamina, and despite the belief that the move set is varied you will be killed by the same 2 hit combo over and over by every enemy that is near you.

"You Died"

Bosses should be this hard in all games, but what they shouldn't do (and in Dark Souls they do EVERY TIME) is hit you with an area of effect attack that knocks you down, wait for you to just start getting up, then as you stand hit you with same attack again and again and again and again and again ad infinitum.
    I say that though, you'll most likely die from the evil stare they give you as every weapon an enemy wields, seemingly does about 10000000 HP of damage.

In all if I was told why I started in a prison at the games start and what the outlining plan was (after 4 hours I'm yet to get out of Lordran as I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm going) it may be forgivable.

Suffice is to say that this game is unforgiving, aimless and boring.
    After defeating bosses for a reward that seemingly does little more than look nice, and levelling up to find I'm still getting killed in 2 hits, I find little else to praise.

Poorly implemented targeting and boring "story" make this feel like a chore rather than fun.

AVOID
  12. Oct 6, 2011
    There is only one way to describe dark souls and that is....AMAZING!!!.this game is a must have if your an jrpg fan or just an rpg fan period.Now I will say this, the game is Very and I mean VERY hard and is not for people who get angry fast since this game is made to punish you(and it will)I have died more times than I'd like to admit but I'm cool with that since when I do progress I feelThere is only one way to describe dark souls and that is....AMAZING!!!.this game is a must have if your an jrpg fan or just an rpg fan period.Now I will say this, the game is Very and I mean VERY hard and is not for people who get angry fast since this game is made to punish you(and it will)I have died more times than I'd like to admit but I'm cool with that since when I do progress I feel a sens of accomplishment and excitement beyond anything I've felt in any game in awhile(besides Ninja Gaiden)I loved Demon souls on PS3 so I knew I had to have Dark souls, and even better yet on the xbox 360.this game get's my highest score.Rpg fans go get some Dark souls. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2011
    Call me a naysayer. I hated Demon's Souls. It wasn't the difficulty (Because Dark Souls is surely more difficult.) It was just that once you looked past the difficulty, the game felt... bland. Dark Souls, on the other hand, feels a lot more refined. A true sequel that built upon the foundation of the first game to deliver what I felt Demon's Souls SHOULD have been.

This game does

This game does lose .5 point for its tutorial and worthless manual. Okay, so a bad tutorial makes the game difficult, since you don't know what you're doing, but even once you do know what you're doing it's still hard. It's just FAR less frustrating. Such as:Tap B twice to jump WHILE sprinting. Once I got my bearings straight, I've been sailing. And by sailing I mean dying. But they've been legitimate deaths. Each enemy knicking away my health bit by bit, forcing me to refine my tactics to save my potions for the big fights. Get completely destroyed in a single blink from an ambush.

Which brings me to the other half of a point lost. The boss fights aren't "difficult" so much as they are poor design. Horrible camera, juggling, and invisible walls make boss fights more irritating than difficult. Especially when the boss jumps, you try to roll under them, and it somehow throws you off a cliff because the game uses cylinders for placement. Fortunately, there aren't too many of them like this. So I can't dock off too much for it.

All in all, it's the ideal game to bring you to the November Gaming Marathon that surely awaits you coming 11/14/11.
  14. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, 10. This game singlehandedly has restored my faith in rpg's. You will get stuck, and feel the rage of your gaming forfathers. You shall either expose yourself as a superficial gamer and quit to go play fluffybunnies, or you shall overcome and experience true accomplishment. The choice is yours.
  15. Oct 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark Souls, A open world, Action Rpg with an extreme difficulty and great graphics.
    To say Dark souls is an immersive experience would be an under statement. Dark Souls is a work of art. A hand crafted masterpiece. A game that takes us back to the old days when games were extremely challenging. You will die a lot in Dark souls, this isn't a game for everyone but for those that stick with it the feeling of accomplishment is massive. If you like a challenge? a Rpg experience that spans 60+ hours buy this game.
  16. Oct 5, 2011
    Just as the creator of Demon's Soul's said in reply to why he made another game "...to make it even harder" he left out how it's also even more intense, maddening, crazy, & brutally punishing (ALL in a great way)!!! While I always look for, & find good deals on games as I don't like to pay the $60 price tag -$40 is a little more reasonable to me- I happily paid full price for this one! :)Just as the creator of Demon's Soul's said in reply to why he made another game "...to make it even harder" he left out how it's also even more intense, maddening, crazy, & brutally punishing (ALL in a great way)!!! While I always look for, & find good deals on games as I don't like to pay the $60 price tag -$40 is a little more reasonable to me- I happily paid full price for this one! :) There is no better game to drive you up the wall one second, then turn around & reward you in such a manor save it's predecessor. With all the good/great games coming out in Q4 right now, I hope Dark Souls is voted Game of the Year just as Demon's Soul's was in 2009. Expand
  17. Oct 7, 2011
    One of the most frustrating games I've ever played, yet also one of the most addictive. Dark Souls is Unique. One of the only games where I can die countless times, and replay the same area over and over and still want to continue playing. This is definitely a game where you will spend most of your time dieing, and it certainly isn't for everyone. But once you started playing, this gameOne of the most frustrating games I've ever played, yet also one of the most addictive. Dark Souls is Unique. One of the only games where I can die countless times, and replay the same area over and over and still want to continue playing. This is definitely a game where you will spend most of your time dieing, and it certainly isn't for everyone. But once you started playing, this game hooks you and draws you into it's sick and twisted world. Killing the games many bosses is definitely one of the most satisfying feelings in gaming and the big sigh of relief when you find that next bonfire. Dark souls is hard, Dark Souls is unfair, Dark Souls is unforgiving, Dark Souls is awesome! Expand
  18. Dec 14, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that this is not a bad game. I bought it day one and I really tried to love it like I loved Demon Souls but I could not. The graphics are wonderful, the difficulty is ramped up, and a lot of love went in to making this game ad you can see it everywhere. What made me trade this game in three and a half hours after I bought it was the fact that it was so repetitiveLet me start off by saying that this is not a bad game. I bought it day one and I really tried to love it like I loved Demon Souls but I could not. The graphics are wonderful, the difficulty is ramped up, and a lot of love went in to making this game ad you can see it everywhere. What made me trade this game in three and a half hours after I bought it was the fact that it was so repetitive I wanted to smash my head against a wall. In my opinion, Every single area is exactly the same and there is no variety in structure. It might be just because I didn't get far enough but that's how it seems to me. I know it's a hit or miss game but i urge you to try it yourself because at it's core it is REALLY god. Expand
  19. Jan 20, 2015
    This is one of the worst, most boring games I have ever played

PROS
    -good graphics

CONS
    -sad
    -too much to learn
    -boring
    -slow
    -too hard

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!
  20. Oct 11, 2011
    The two negative reviewers are idiots. That is all. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
  21. Oct 4, 2011
    Dark Souls is simply amazing, an addicting challenge, one the most beautifully made hardcore RPG games ever. It's hard to put Dark Souls down, it sucks you in early on and keeps you grinding through hours and hours of death and rewarding conquest. This game will test your nerves and make your blood boil, you will die and you will die often. I guarantee your adrenaline will surge throughDark Souls is simply amazing, an addicting challenge, one the most beautifully made hardcore RPG games ever. It's hard to put Dark Souls down, it sucks you in early on and keeps you grinding through hours and hours of death and rewarding conquest. This game will test your nerves and make your blood boil, you will die and you will die often. I guarantee your adrenaline will surge through the roof and you might even find yourself checking your pulse. Dark Souls is a **** of a game and one hell of a good time. Expand
  22. Oct 7, 2011
    Dark souls has a decent enough opening trailer, and the starting tutorial/prison is pretty fun. After that the game gets serious. A lot of people complain about the difficulty, but it isn't just that the game is hard. The game is cruel.

Let me explain further, after the tutorial ends you are dumped at a campfire with 4 paths to take. 2 of those paths are the wrong answers, and if you go down them the game is impossible to beat. Not just hard but literally impossible due to you being the wrong level. Of course there is no way to actually know that at first, since enemy levels are not shown. Once you find the right path the game gets decent again, until a new boss to get stuck on or a red dragon who seems to be impossible to get past.

If you are looking for a hard game this is it, but be careful since the game isn't just hard but unfair.
  23. Mar 25, 2012
    This game has some promising features but it is way too difficult and has some annoying features. For instance, if you die in the middle of trying to clear an area, you have to go back to the beginning and kill the same mobs all over again (although you do get to keep the weapons and items that you've already found). If this game had an easier setting for more casual gamers, and if itThis game has some promising features but it is way too difficult and has some annoying features. For instance, if you die in the middle of trying to clear an area, you have to go back to the beginning and kill the same mobs all over again (although you do get to keep the weapons and items that you've already found). If this game had an easier setting for more casual gamers, and if it let you save in the middle of a quest, it might be a lot of fun. If you like a challenge and are an RPG fan then you might light this game a lot. I gave up on it through and will be moving on to something a little less difficult. Expand
  24. Oct 10, 2011
    This is by far the hardest game on the Xbox 360, which is the games curse but also its strength. The RPG elements are solid and each level up feels like my hero was getting stronger but the game behaves randomly and where once a battle was a breeze to maneuver through becomes a nightmare of un-relentless foes. This has to be the games biggest problem. When you grind you often are tediouslyThis is by far the hardest game on the Xbox 360, which is the games curse but also its strength. The RPG elements are solid and each level up feels like my hero was getting stronger but the game behaves randomly and where once a battle was a breeze to maneuver through becomes a nightmare of un-relentless foes. This has to be the games biggest problem. When you grind you often are tediously grinding through the same environments before you can take on the boss that you've attempted a dozen times before. The strength of the game is when you over come these problems, your rewarded with well designed maps and cut scenes, although there is little story. You do feel like you become stronger and the leveling system is fun but because of the tedium grinding and the random difficulty spikes this game is only for true hardcore RPG fans. Expand
  25. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is in a nutshell a Action-RPG where you slowly get stronger. This in itself is not the strange thing about the game. That you gain strenght by actually learning the game, the moves of enemies and generally making better decisions, this makes the game unique. Yes there is grind, but is it really grind if the enemy no matter what lvl you are has a potential to dish out some realThis game is in a nutshell a Action-RPG where you slowly get stronger. This in itself is not the strange thing about the game. That you gain strenght by actually learning the game, the moves of enemies and generally making better decisions, this makes the game unique. Yes there is grind, but is it really grind if the enemy no matter what lvl you are has a potential to dish out some real pain on you? also that you have to not just equip the heaviest armour without thought or what weapon to use. i could go on about how much of the gameplay that is actually comming from your choice and how you believe to best handle a given situation. In a nutshell, it's a great game and deserves a play. but try a rental first its not for everyone

Happy gaming
  26. Nov 6, 2011
    This is one of the best games I have played. Why? The game is hard... even frustratingly so. So why is that a good thing? Because it makes all the content in the game matter... and you are constantly having to learn new tactics to win. Games get boring when you realize you can exploit some scripted behavior and always win. This game manages to be hard, and not in a "The computer isThis is one of the best games I have played. Why? The game is hard... even frustratingly so. So why is that a good thing? Because it makes all the content in the game matter... and you are constantly having to learn new tactics to win. Games get boring when you realize you can exploit some scripted behavior and always win. This game manages to be hard, and not in a "The computer is cheating" sort of way. The monsters react quickly and realistically, and even when you get good at the game you never truly feel safe. Then there are aspects to this game similar to an MMORPG but better... In game wealth comes and goes easily, except for items. People join each other's games on the fly. You can take certain actions to make sure those people are only there to help with bosses, (and you need the help) or if you are up for it you can be vulnerable to being invaded for PVP where you risk in game wealth. The pvp is adrenaline packed in ways that so many games have failed to accomplish because of the gambling model. The music is good, the visuals are amazing, the animation and fluidity of the combat is great and realistic. I don't know what that other clown was talking about - the crow moves his head fast because he is a bird... have you not ever seen a bird in real life? After playing this game, I can't believe I ever wasted my time playing other RPGs where your accomplishments in the game didn't matter because there was never anything hard enough to use it on.

I had to come back and edit this review, and drop the score down to a 9 however. The problem is, the multiplayer is unpolished and the most clever covenants (gametypes) do not work. The matchmaking is bad, and you can get locked in a room for 30 minutes waiting for someone trying to join your game. That would have been the biggest selling point IMO. Also, I lost like a straight week to this game, but after that I had explored everything and new every boss and enemies behavior. Then the game became less challenging. The economy isn't perfect either, since most of the items dropped are useless - the whole humanity affecting drop rate thing would have been super clever otherwise. The game's money is also troubled, since it quickly costs a fortune to make your character marginally stronger than he/she currently is.
  27. Nov 7, 2011
    Definitely Game Of The Year. I'm enjoying this game so much that it's sucking my life. Enough with easy nowadays rpg games that carry the players by the hand. This game IS hardcore, but that is the point: you'll feel more success playing and achieving in this game than you have felt in any other game. Amazing, vibrating, action-packed are adjectives that just start to categorize Dark Souls.
  28. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is incredibly repetitive. I like a challenge more than the next guy, but goddamnit! I play video games for fun and entertainment, not for bitter frustration. If you constantly like dying from cheap shots while putting up with such a lame battle sequences. This game is for you. I don't know about you, but i don't have the patience to fight nearly impossible bosses and their cheapThis game is incredibly repetitive. I like a challenge more than the next guy, but goddamnit! I play video games for fun and entertainment, not for bitter frustration. If you constantly like dying from cheap shots while putting up with such a lame battle sequences. This game is for you. I don't know about you, but i don't have the patience to fight nearly impossible bosses and their cheap hits to reload from a checkpoint ten minutes to fight that same boss again, with all the annoying enemies respawned again. Its not the challenge that really gets me, its the repetitive battle sequences, not to mention complete and utter boredom. At least in Skyrim, there's alot more ways to fight an enemy. This game is going to make you get so mad to the point where it just becomes, not fun. I admit, the games out today make it to easy for you to win, but you have to draw the line somewhere. At least make the game with some kind of variety. I love well written storylines and DS doesn't have one really. So it almost for me, becomes pointless to let this game drag on more than it has to. I had to turn off the game after dying 574897539 friggin times before i start putting unnecessary holes in my walls. This F--- this game! A video game should be fun to play and not a hassle! Skip this atrocity of a game and buy Skyrim. Expand
  29. Oct 4, 2011
    Spent well over 100 hours with Demon Souls and about 15 already with Dark souls.... This game is no joke, and as everyone well knows by now an unforgiving experience. With that said, I have never felt such an extreme level of accomplishment when successful with any other game to date. This game may not be for everyone at first, but if given the chance can really make an impact on any typeSpent well over 100 hours with Demon Souls and about 15 already with Dark souls.... This game is no joke, and as everyone well knows by now an unforgiving experience. With that said, I have never felt such an extreme level of accomplishment when successful with any other game to date. This game may not be for everyone at first, but if given the chance can really make an impact on any type of player. Perfect score for me... without a doubt. Expand
  30. Feb 26, 2014
    Honestly? I'm open minded about any game I play. I actually LIKED Demon's Souls. But this? God, what a boring game. People praise the difficulty, but honestly, the game isn't super difficult- just cheap. The battles (including bosses) aren't hard; it's just a clunky combat system. And once you have that system down, it's not difficult; just boring. Very, very tedious. The cheapness comesHonestly? I'm open minded about any game I play. I actually LIKED Demon's Souls. But this? God, what a boring game. People praise the difficulty, but honestly, the game isn't super difficult- just cheap. The battles (including bosses) aren't hard; it's just a clunky combat system. And once you have that system down, it's not difficult; just boring. Very, very tedious. The cheapness comes from the fact that the game just decides to inst-kill you with no way of you knowing it would ever happen besides trial-and-error and have already died there before. This wouldn't be a problem if this game didn't make you replay sometimes MASSIVE amounts of an area to get back to the spot you died to recover your souls. Again, with it's constant repeating, it just gets insurmountably boring. From a gameplay and level-design standpoint, this game wouldn't have surprised me if it came out on the N64. It tries to be challenging and rewarding, but ultimately ends up being boring and cheap. I never got a single minute of fun out of this game. Expand
  31. Oct 13, 2011
    Borderline terrible controls and hit detection at times. Framerate suffers immensely when the screen is full of characters. Multiplayer is probably the worst I have ever experienced, tried for over an hour multilpe times to join other people or have them join me met with failure save for one time. Difficulty is as stated, but the game flirts with completely unfair/borderline impossibleBorderline terrible controls and hit detection at times. Framerate suffers immensely when the screen is full of characters. Multiplayer is probably the worst I have ever experienced, tried for over an hour multilpe times to join other people or have them join me met with failure save for one time. Difficulty is as stated, but the game flirts with completely unfair/borderline impossible with some of the enemies in the game. Overall, it's an ok game, nothing to write home about. Expand
  32. Nov 10, 2011
    Dark souls is a good game if you like games to be really hard (like me) but it is repetative and ign thought it was going to destroy skyrim. not even close to as good as skyrim.
  33. Oct 12, 2011
    I never played demon's souls (I play 360) but I've heard that it's REALLY hard, and apparently Dark souls is harder. Within 5 minutes of game play I was sold, the graphics are amazing, the open world is great, and the weapon selection is nearly limitless. Not to mention the cool enemies and almost impossible bosses. all in all the game was worth $60 and I've probably not even explored theI never played demon's souls (I play 360) but I've heard that it's REALLY hard, and apparently Dark souls is harder. Within 5 minutes of game play I was sold, the graphics are amazing, the open world is great, and the weapon selection is nearly limitless. Not to mention the cool enemies and almost impossible bosses. all in all the game was worth $60 and I've probably not even explored the entire world Dark souls has to offer yet. The game does live up to its tagline though "prepare to die" Expand
  34. Oct 27, 2011
    Buy This game after uve seen more than 20 min of in-game footage and u should be fine! Great game! , not really that difficult (except the CURSE , which is really infuriating!)
    Perfect 10! FOR PURE UNADULTRATED GAMING.
  35. Oct 10, 2011
    The game, while not as technically impressive as other games on the market, is still a visually appealing game with interesting dark fantasy designs, plus a precise and deep combat system. However, its punishing difficulty will almost certainly be a discouraging element for some players, and definitely not for the wrong mindset, the ill-tempered, the impatient or the easily misplaced.The game, while not as technically impressive as other games on the market, is still a visually appealing game with interesting dark fantasy designs, plus a precise and deep combat system. However, its punishing difficulty will almost certainly be a discouraging element for some players, and definitely not for the wrong mindset, the ill-tempered, the impatient or the easily misplaced. Everyone else will have fun dieing. Expand
  36. Nov 5, 2015
    Dark Souls subverts a lot of expectations and design decisions attached to the 3rd person action genre; which consequently burns a lot of people taking it a face value. Most of the negative user reviews for this game are written out of ignorance and say more about the reviewers than the actual game. Dark Souls isn't perfect but is objectively one of the greats. It is not for everyoneDark Souls subverts a lot of expectations and design decisions attached to the 3rd person action genre; which consequently burns a lot of people taking it a face value. Most of the negative user reviews for this game are written out of ignorance and say more about the reviewers than the actual game. Dark Souls isn't perfect but is objectively one of the greats. It is not for everyone because it truly takes skill and patients, it asks you to get better as a player instead of your in game avatar. Expand
  37. Mar 7, 2012
    If you are an old school gamer that relishes a challenge, then this is the game for you. Make no mistake, when you play this game, you will die. A lot. But never has dying in a video game felt so good! This game is not for the easily discouraged or for gamers that need to have their hands held the entire time. You have to figure out almost everything in the game for yourself, there is noIf you are an old school gamer that relishes a challenge, then this is the game for you. Make no mistake, when you play this game, you will die. A lot. But never has dying in a video game felt so good! This game is not for the easily discouraged or for gamers that need to have their hands held the entire time. You have to figure out almost everything in the game for yourself, there is no tutorial, but when you do figure out what to do or how to beat that boss that has killed you 10 times in a row......the feeling is so gratifying! You can never let your guard down in this game, the moment you do is the moment you die. Once you learn the mechanics of the tight combat system is where the game really shines. When you die (and you will), it's almost always your fault. You zigged when you should have zagged, or didn't have your shield up, or weren't aware of your surroundings as you rolled off a cliff. The game is rarely cheap. I will freely admit that this game is not for everyone, but if you have the time and patience to sink your teeth into a difficult game with a steep learning curve, the rewards are bountiful. This is without a doubt my favorite game that has been released this generation for consoles. Expand
  38. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is pretty awesome and a huge improvement from the original. It still keeps its crushing difficulty but fortunately it works for this game. the end
  39. Nov 29, 2011
    Exelente jogo perfeito só acredito que poderia ter uma historia um pouquinho melhor, Todo combate e unico isso da uma nova dinamica para o jogo a exploração e bem interessante. Enfim um dos melhores jogos que já joguei.
  40. Nov 10, 2011
    I don't generally like difficult games and I even disliked Demon Souls when I tried it, but I love Dark Souls. The reason why is that the difficultly in this game is not based on fast reflexes or pain staking memorization. It is, instead, based on being careful and playing with an awareness of your surroundings. You can't button mash in Dark Souls. Not even on the easiest enemies.I don't generally like difficult games and I even disliked Demon Souls when I tried it, but I love Dark Souls. The reason why is that the difficultly in this game is not based on fast reflexes or pain staking memorization. It is, instead, based on being careful and playing with an awareness of your surroundings. You can't button mash in Dark Souls. Not even on the easiest enemies. They aren't hard, you just have to block and wait for openings. You need to lure them out and use the environment to your advantage. Encountering a new enemy is always exhilirating and intimidating. If you like exploration based games like Zelda or Metriod you are in for a particular treat as the world of Dark Souls is amazing. It is filled with secret passages and shortcuts where the world loops back on itself and links back up with previous areas from new angles. Dark Souls is big but it very dense. There are no large areas where you have to wander along boring open fields for hours on end like Oblivion or Fall Out. Each and every inch of the world is lovingly crafted, not randomly generated.

This is easily my favorite game on the 360. It is the only game I would give a 10. Not because it is perfect (the frame rate problems and the difficulty curve can occasionally seem a bit unfair), but because it is one of the very very few games I will still be thinking about a decade from now.
  41. Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think I've been so excited to die in a game before. This game really challenges you and makes you earn your reward. Alot of people I know don't like it or can't get into it, and to me it's due to the fact that they can't just run through and hack everything in site. This game is addicting and at times you will want to swear and throw the controller, take a deep breath and try try again.
  42. Jan 19, 2012
    The challenge level in this game is simply awesome. Dark souls really should have been game of the year for most sites. Truly amazing game. Not quite perfect, the controls need some work.
  43. Nov 9, 2011
    Beautifully done rpg with its own distinct flavour. Challenging but not as ridiculous as most make out but enough to feel like a divine being after every boss kill made after its 23rd attempt. Best played online tho, hints left by other players with orange soapstones have saved me having to die and restart on countless occassions and the summons left by players white soapstones have beenBeautifully done rpg with its own distinct flavour. Challenging but not as ridiculous as most make out but enough to feel like a divine being after every boss kill made after its 23rd attempt. Best played online tho, hints left by other players with orange soapstones have saved me having to die and restart on countless occassions and the summons left by players white soapstones have been seemingly necessary for some boss fights. Speaking of bosses every enemy is eye candy to look at, not so much graphically but impecably designed. The soundtracks nothing special neither is the story but they are not what this games about but they are fine enough. A brilliant game for those who like a challenging rpg, but prepare to suffer in your psyche greatly. Sound: 7. Gameplay: 10. Graphics: 8. Longevity: 10. Flavour: distinctly tangy Expand
  44. Nov 13, 2011
    Dark Souls is an incredible game that forces you to withstand intense challenges, but rewards you in return with a sense of accomplishment you will not find in any other game. Yes, that includes Skyrim. Dark Souls is an open world action RPG. Where this game differs from others is the fact that you will die...a lot. This game is incredibly difficult, but with patience you will overcomeDark Souls is an incredible game that forces you to withstand intense challenges, but rewards you in return with a sense of accomplishment you will not find in any other game. Yes, that includes Skyrim. Dark Souls is an open world action RPG. Where this game differs from others is the fact that you will die...a lot. This game is incredibly difficult, but with patience you will overcome this difficulty through the use of its absolutely perfect controls. This game's controls are so fine-tuned and so perfect that every death can only be blamed on the player, not the game. Anyways, to cut this short, this game is amazing. I have invested 92 hours into the first playthrough and cant wait to seek further challenges in new game+! Expand
  45. Nov 20, 2011
    Played Demon Soul's fought through hours of death( I must have died a 1000 time) anyways i don't feel I gained anything for it, Even though i told myself i shouldn't get Dark Soul (I did anyways) well... I guess its just not my kind of game. I get on die, die and die again. Sometimes its not even my fault. And your character really has no goals other than to just get through alive. ThePlayed Demon Soul's fought through hours of death( I must have died a 1000 time) anyways i don't feel I gained anything for it, Even though i told myself i shouldn't get Dark Soul (I did anyways) well... I guess its just not my kind of game. I get on die, die and die again. Sometimes its not even my fault. And your character really has no goals other than to just get through alive. The game just wasn't rewarding enough for all the dying. Expand
  46. Dec 27, 2011
    great game and prepare to die.... ive had quite a few rage quits over the brief time ive played the game and a great change to the genre of rpgs although online play could be a little better
  47. Oct 27, 2012
    Dark Souls is a good game in some ways. I like the way you fight and how you have to watch out for traps, attacks and so on. It's pretty cool, because you won't come far with button-smashing.That's something I really like about Dark Souls. Also there's nothing to say about the difficulty of the game: it's okay, but sometimes unfair. For example: you search the area for the next checkpointDark Souls is a good game in some ways. I like the way you fight and how you have to watch out for traps, attacks and so on. It's pretty cool, because you won't come far with button-smashing.That's something I really like about Dark Souls. Also there's nothing to say about the difficulty of the game: it's okay, but sometimes unfair. For example: you search the area for the next checkpoint and meet an enemy, that's much higher than you are. So you die, that's okay. But you lose all the Exp gained on the way to this enemy. So you've got two options: forget the Exp, farm everything again or you try to get it back, but actually there's no chance of getting it back, because you die again if you go there, where your Exp are. So what? You farm again and again and again. You spend hours and hours farming the same routes over and over again. If you like this, go and play World of Warcraft but in Dark Souls it's just annoying. I really want to like this game, but it's difficult to like it that way. Don't be fooled by all of these hype-guys, giving the game a 10. It's an average game, but nothing more. Dragon's Dogma is much more fun, nearly the same way of Gameplay and you have the choice how difficult that game is. Expand
  48. Dec 22, 2014
    I personally don't understand why people like this game. The toned down difficulty just spoiled the game, enemies are WAY easier to kill, did not deserve a game of the year nom at the game awards
  49. Aug 24, 2012
    Overrated, uninspiring and boring. So this is the game that my friends pictured to me as the ''Panacea of Gaming'' and turned out to be completely wrong.
    The gameplay is clunky as hell, especially when you engage in a boss fight.. The map design feels bland and very empty, not to mention that the graphics are downright terrible. Is this 2012 or 2004?
    Ok, continuing with this, its not
    Ok, continuing with this, its not open world as some people told me, its completely linear and boring and the character lacks personality and charisma.
    Also, it has GFWL. That is enough for anyone to stay away. I don't even know why companies still use this.

I'm glad i got it as a birthday gift, but sometimes i wish my friend didn't have to spend that amount of money. I'm not ungrateful, on the contrary, but this game is definitely not my cup of tea.

Definitely one of the most dissapointing games of 2012.
  50. Jan 5, 2012
    Clunky, inefficient design doesn't belong in games that are so challenging. For most gamers, challenge is fun part of any game. In most cases, the harder the better compared to today's super accessible casual games for the masses, so I was looking forward to Dark Souls based on what I had heard from around the web. But boy were those opinions misleading. Its not that the game is tooClunky, inefficient design doesn't belong in games that are so challenging. For most gamers, challenge is fun part of any game. In most cases, the harder the better compared to today's super accessible casual games for the masses, so I was looking forward to Dark Souls based on what I had heard from around the web. But boy were those opinions misleading. Its not that the game is too difficult.. I mean it is difficult, but that's not the problem, the problem is that its horrendously designed and when games are this poorly designed it really isnt a good idea for them not to have a forgiving nature. The game itself tries to mix western style high fantasy with outdated traditional Japanese design sensibilities which isnt a terrible idea, but its so poorly executed that the player constantly finds himself dying through no fault of his own. Camera's getting stuck on the surrounding, rolling directly through solid walls and falling to your death etc. Add to that the unfriendly user controls and interface with multiple button presses when one would suffice, odd control layout (left and right bumpers are the primary attacks / defence), the huge eye-saw of a HUD and inventory system, and the fact that game regularly slows down and gets very laggy even when there aren't any enemies on screen, and it all boils down to a terrible port of a mediocre PS3 game. And to top it all off, the environment GFX and sound are bland and uninspired... Anyway, I've wasted enough of my time with this game, so I'll end with the warning, regardless of what you have read about the PS3 exclusive Demon Souls (which apparently did have some potential, Dark Souls the sequel is not a worthy successor or a game I can recommend to anybody, especially on the 360. Expand
  51. Oct 18, 2011
    Dark Souls isn't a bad game, but it isn't great. I am a hardcore gamer, in fact I have been playing my whole life and I love challenging games, but this game has the sharpest difficulty curve anyone will understand. The first boss is probably one of the most easiest bosses in gaming history, but the second (which is probably 5-10 minutes right after the first) seems as if you played theDark Souls isn't a bad game, but it isn't great. I am a hardcore gamer, in fact I have been playing my whole life and I love challenging games, but this game has the sharpest difficulty curve anyone will understand. The first boss is probably one of the most easiest bosses in gaming history, but the second (which is probably 5-10 minutes right after the first) seems as if you played the final boss of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Ganon" with your controller upside down, blinded. Then after THAT boss, theres even a harder one requiring lots of grinding just to defeat him. Then the next, then the next, then the next. Very repetitive grinding, any console RPG game shouldn't have grinding, at all. We're not playing World of Warcraft.

It's not a bad game, but before going deeply into difficulty, you have to give players a more grip of the game before giving them a near-impossible boss for a beginner. Yes, I did beat it, I love challenges.
  52. Nov 14, 2012
    wat i booght this gaym and WAAT!!! no guns??????? wat kynd of game has no guns?!?!?!11/

ryt anywaiz, teh game is just so terible. u do lyk NO DAMMAJ to mostners srsly?? do tey evn want ppl to win? lolol is it hard?? no its just super unballanced sword does 10 dammag??! in cod knyf kills 1 hit always so sord shud do like, 0-shot some1! okey so after playin sum more i got atacked by

okey so after playin sum more i got atacked by some **** and tey killed me evn when i hit em! wat a peece of sheet. review: bosses lol dun bovver tey kill u cause tey ****s, all plaayurs are knyfer ****s an dun fyt faare and just evrythin wong wit it. by cod an enjoy kilin ****s in one-go wit ur knyf lolol oh and cod has gunz!!!! like, so mutch coller than ****gy swords
  53. Feb 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got Dark Souls after looking at gameplay and thought to myself, this looks like it could be one of the best games of 2011. I got this game and I immediately got used to the controls, RB didn't feel like such a bad button for attacking and it ended up becoming quite fun. However after easily killing the Asylum Demon the game just went downhill for me. The way the game is layed out just doesn't suit my gaming style. Don't get me wrong, the way the map links up is absolutely incredible and like no other game I've ever played before. The way that there is no loading screens when walking around the map is also good. It took me a bit of time to kill the Taurus Demon but by that time I was already bored by this repetitive piece of junk. The soldiers (or whatever they are called) are some of the most stupid things I have ever seen in a video game. I got to the Capra Demon and was a bit apalled to see that all the enemies seemed to have been called demons up until then. I have struggled with the Capra Demon for several hours of my time and I think if I put enough effort in I could finish him off, but why put effort into something which is such a time-consuming piece of rubbish that should only be found at a landfill. The NPC's mouths don't even move when they speak (or they barely do) which is unacceptable for a game of 2011 when games from 10 years ago even had mouths moving. If you are thinking of getting this game, buy a better RPG such as Skyrim or something from the Fallout series. There is absolutely no competition to Skyrim from this game. The only reason I give this a 1 is because of the way the map links up. This game is hard but hard in a boring way not fun. A game can only be so hard until it gets on your nerves. For some people this may not be the case but for me it was. Expand
  54. Oct 5, 2011
    BEWARE to all you casual gamers out there, this is NOT for you! This game is not for everyone, if you never enjoyed or played Demon Souls stay away, if you are a casual RPG gamer stay away this is not for you. I really want people to understand this before they start hating the game. If you never played Demon Souls then Dark Souls will be very frustrating at start. There's no tutorialsBEWARE to all you casual gamers out there, this is NOT for you! This game is not for everyone, if you never enjoyed or played Demon Souls stay away, if you are a casual RPG gamer stay away this is not for you. I really want people to understand this before they start hating the game. If you never played Demon Souls then Dark Souls will be very frustrating at start. There's no tutorials explaining game mechanics (not explaining you the difference between humanity and undead, the use of souls and so on...)no directions on where to go. It's all about trial and error, going back and forth to the same locations, farming souls, leveling up, finding gear/items, upgrading gear, leveling up , boss battles, to then compete in pvp. There, just a clarification for the people new to the series. Now, if you are familiar with the series I could go off on an entire page but I'll just say that I highly recommend the game to you all. I have to say the graphics though do look a little outdated but there are some slight improvements in animations from the previous title. The text grammar is also sometimes not up to standards. However you forget about these things very quickly in a game like this. If you are not sure on what console to get this on then i would recommend you the 360 version, why? because it has a slightly better frame rate and is less effected by fps drops imo. Community wise such as the pvp, I'm not sure which version will go barren more quickly but what I can say is the japanese on ps3 are already farming this game to death so I'll let you decided. Expand
  55. May 17, 2012
    This is quite possibly the worst game I've ever played. Using a scale of 0-10 it falls somewhere between 90 and 100. Not because it's SO good, but because it earns *both* the 9/10 *and* the 0, and the zero is enormous. Tremendous. Overwhelming. So much so that the 9/10 doesn't count.

Just to get the irrelevant out of the way, everything it does, it does everything extremely well. Graphics, sound, environments are all beautiful. Controls are pretty good, some things on the stick are awkward but almost nothing is bad to the point of detraction (archery is garbage), and there aren't many instances of 'screw you cam' (when you're trying to run across a narrow path and the camera rotates around your character making a straight path nearly impossible but falling to your death *extremely* easy). Inventories are deep and enemies are varied. In short, nearly every thing the developer attempted was successful.

Sadly, the developer chose to do a lot of things which aren't good. Some are absolutely awful. And those aren't the worst.

Open the case and you have a disc and 16 page manual. The manual is in four languages, so you have a few pages in your native tongue. The deep inventory uses icons which are never explained. Attributes and abilities are never explained. There's a Bonus system which is never explained. There are loads of things which are never explained. Including what you're actually trying to do, unless a single statement in the middle of a cut scene with a character whose relevance is never mentioned counts. This game needs a serious manual more than anything I've seen in several years. You're given a few pages. Have fun googling for the information that the developers should have given you.

There was a time and place when it made sense for falling to your death to be integral to a game. Actually it's still that time, but the place remains what it was: platformers, particularly 2D platformers. In a 3D RPG it's awful, particularly in conjunction with Dark Souls next absolutely miserable failing...

The ability to save progress is something that there's no compelling, or valid, argument against. Unless you're the maker of Dark Souls, in which case they apparently believe differently. I say "believe" rather than "think" because I said "valid." To put it in the form of a question that pertains to Dark Souls, "What's wrong with making a player repeat what took nearly 90 minutes, only to die by falling because the moving walkway slid out from under the player's feet?" What's wrong with that? *Everything*. It's awful to have few checkpoints, but much, *much* worse when the game makes them easy to miss.

Leaving a number of other major shortcomings (4 off the top of my head) I'm just going to move to the last, the net effect of the fully intended and incorporated failings of Dark Souls. It's frequently called a difficult game. It isn't. There are a few points in the game that are hard, but most of it isn't more challenging than most of what's out there. Rather than difficult, Dark Souls is frustrating. For the linguistically challenged, difficult is getting stuck at a point, failing over and over before passing on the 40th (or more) attempt. Frustrating is forcing players to spend fifteen (or forty) minutes passing tedious obstacles on each of those forty+ attempts. That's why mistakes are made, and how weak enemies gain the potential to defeat your character. And it's complete and unforgivable garbage.

In short, the people that made Dark Souls should be pleased with how well they succeeded in making the game they set out to make. Unfortunately, most of what they tried to do in inherently detritus.
  56. Oct 9, 2011
    I like this game in spite of the obvious and frustrating flaws that has me rage quitting every so often.

The graphics are ugly and look ancient, the controls are clunky, the menu is in annoying, the targeting is awful and the camera is downright terrible. All these flaws angers me, but I live with them because Bandai Games understand that having to repeat a section does not kill the joy of a game. Repetition also means you don't have to create slow and soft sections of the game purely for players to learn the game. It's do or die as soon as you start up this game. I also love that there is one difficulty, which is Nightmarish and it uses checkpoints instead of free saves.

I will never give a game with this many serious flaws 10 and I'm settling on 7. I think Bandai Games can make a third installment, that is 3 points better than this one.
  57. Nov 29, 2012
    My experience with Dark Souls was terrible, now the reason why I say that, is that the game is flawed! So, first of the all lets get the graphics out of the way, it looks good but the textures look flat... Done! The A.I. offends me as not only is your character slow at recovering... but once you've been hit, say goodbye to your souls, as the A.I. WILL NOT STOP HITTING YOU! Plus, onMy experience with Dark Souls was terrible, now the reason why I say that, is that the game is flawed! So, first of the all lets get the graphics out of the way, it looks good but the textures look flat... Done! The A.I. offends me as not only is your character slow at recovering... but once you've been hit, say goodbye to your souls, as the A.I. WILL NOT STOP HITTING YOU! Plus, on top of that the A.I. will disregard it's own safety and fall off a cliff to get you! The controls feel slippery and awkward... why would you attack with the triggers, this isn't a first person shooter! The camera is awful, often getting pushed upwards against a wall, and I'm unable to see my character until I manually move itl As for story and music, I don't care... it's bland and unimportant. However, I do have to praise From Software for the art direction!

So yes, the game is difficult.. but for all the wrong reasons, it's called Fake Difficulty, and thats what dissapointed me, if it all genuine... I would of enjoyed it! But is it worth playing? Not if you want a fair challenge... only resort to it if other games aren't difficult enough for you, and you want to push yourself!
  58. Jan 9, 2012
    This "game" is literally HORRENDOUS. This is one of the worst creative endeavors ever undertaken. I made a metacritic account just to shut all these people up who say otherwise. If you like this game you have a serious ego problem because you are trying to be "mr hotshot" and "mr hardcore gamer" please give it a rest. Anyone could beat this game if they put in the time to memorize theThis "game" is literally HORRENDOUS. This is one of the worst creative endeavors ever undertaken. I made a metacritic account just to shut all these people up who say otherwise. If you like this game you have a serious ego problem because you are trying to be "mr hotshot" and "mr hardcore gamer" please give it a rest. Anyone could beat this game if they put in the time to memorize the areas and grind their way to victory. First off the voice acting is horrific, I could have done a more believable job than their hired voice actors, its laughable how bad the voice acting is. Also, the game atmosphere is all dark and lonely. No fun or excitement to be had here. The graphics suck and I dont know why people keep saying they are good and the interface reminds me of old NES or SNES games, sorry I will pass on crappy old japanese video game feel in the year 2012. I would rather play a game like Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption where the voice acting is amazing and the world is beautiful and wonderful stories are told. Speaking of story......there is NONE in DS. You run around facing mindless enemies who just come straight at you and swing. Not dynamic whatsoever. This game makes you think its open world but really its not because if you try a certain area you will quickly realize your supposed to "grind" more to get there and then come back later when you have leveled more and it will be easy to defeat the enemies. Some people claim this is how you know you have come along and gotten better. No this is not skill. This is memorization and learning. Your attributes are now better because you grinded. Doesnt mean you are good. Like I said people only like this because they want to feel like they are talented video game players, again WRONG you are just the only losers who waste the time to sit and memorize and replay areas over and over and over. If you want to prove your skill go play MLG halo or starcraft and then come talk to me. I have played in two MLG halo tournaments and have never placed higher than top 84 out of 200 teams and I dominate every multiplayer game I have ever played and have beaten every game I have ever played on the hardest difficulty. Dark Souls is just a terribly made game and one thing I am really sick of reading about is the "great" game design here. This is about the laziest game design I have ever seen. I am all about challenge like the next guy but they dont even teach you how to play the damn game. Everyone is like "thats the beauty they throw you in and you have to figure it out" no thats called lazy design. I need to learn how to play the damn game and I shouldnt have to look at online guides to help me. They teach you a few little things and thats it. Even basic inventory management is not taught. Would you call an Mixed Martial Arts coach good if you walked in and he taught you about wrestling and then threw you into a fight without teaching you any of the other facets of MMA? Of course not you would get your head ripped off standing up and would blame him for not teaching you. But apparently teaching you a few concepts in this game while you figure out this rest is "great" game design. Am I in college now? Where I just teach myself? No thats why we pay you for your game so you teach us how to play it. In review DS is a horrific game and I am telling you DO NOT but this game and if you buy it for the challenge and to brag I am here to tell you that you are not a skilled gamer just because you beat it so get off your high horse. Please stop. Like I said go play MLG and then come back and tell me how good you are. Any lemming can sit and memorize and grind and beat mindless horribly implemented NPCs. Beat SMART human players...now that takes skill. Re doing areas again and again to learn and level up is how you win in DS. Thats not skillful. Mindless spamming magic spells and blocking and evading dont make for amazing or skillful combat. Expand
  59. Jul 9, 2012
    Really regret buying the game and was really hoping to enjoy it. The "hardcore" aspect was appealing...however, there is absolutely no ramp-up for your learning curve. The situations get so involved, so quickly that you do not have much time to get the combat system down (and I am not a fan of their targeting system)........if there was a chance for a learning curve and the combat systemReally regret buying the game and was really hoping to enjoy it. The "hardcore" aspect was appealing...however, there is absolutely no ramp-up for your learning curve. The situations get so involved, so quickly that you do not have much time to get the combat system down (and I am not a fan of their targeting system)........if there was a chance for a learning curve and the combat system worked better, it would probably be ok. You have to be very, very precise with your aim , so much so that it is unreasonable for what they expect you to pull off sometimes. I have not played the game for several months and I would still love to kick them in their collective balls and then give myself a good shot for being suckered in to the marketing. All I wanted was a good RPG (graphics, story, etc.) that was not necessarily for kids if you know what I mean. I do not mind difficult at all, but this is not difficult, it is unreasonable. Time for my therapy session! ;) Expand
  60. Oct 11, 2011
    What a game! This is more than I could have hoped for and usually hate loosing in games! One thing that's so good about this game is the difficulty, but not only that its that insanely hard - which it actually isnt (think games like COD on hardest difficulty and other JRPGs are way more difficult) but the way you are really supposed to die. Today i grinded a whole day to get to the nextWhat a game! This is more than I could have hoped for and usually hate loosing in games! One thing that's so good about this game is the difficulty, but not only that its that insanely hard - which it actually isnt (think games like COD on hardest difficulty and other JRPGs are way more difficult) but the way you are really supposed to die. Today i grinded a whole day to get to the next bon fire which I didn't manage. DO I get mad? NO! because you learn so much from just fighting and fighting and fightning and each time you die you will have gotten a little better at the game and a little further into the amazingly crafted world. Do yourself a favour and BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  61. Oct 15, 2011
    The presentation is fitting to both new comers and Demon Souls experienced fans, yet also merciless to both. If you think you can just go slashing your way through dead and ugly, think again. Dark Souls will leave you anguished and agonized to the limit, youâ
  62. Oct 19, 2011
    I swear, if I didn't have such an expensive TV my Xbox controller would long since have been buried in the screen. It is possibly the most frustratingly addictive game I have ever come across and I love every freaking minute of it... sort of. Like so many have said before, the game is difficult but in a good way. You always feel as if you have failed yourself and not as if the game hasI swear, if I didn't have such an expensive TV my Xbox controller would long since have been buried in the screen. It is possibly the most frustratingly addictive game I have ever come across and I love every freaking minute of it... sort of. Like so many have said before, the game is difficult but in a good way. You always feel as if you have failed yourself and not as if the game has somehow failed you, despite the four letter words that leave your mouth every time you die. I have never played Demon Souls, or for that matter even heard of it but after seeing a few online reviews for this game I just had to have it. Part of what drew me in was the idea of the challenge and I get the feeling that is what is pushing me one, I simply must complete this game in order to call myself a true gamer. yes, Iâ Expand
  63. Oct 14, 2011
    This is by far the best RPG I have ever played for the 360. The game is balanced extremely well, with lots of care given to making the game realistic. Get hit with a giant axe while not blocking equals you're death. One pit fall of many game sis that the currency system usually hits a point where money doesn't matter anymore, because there isn't anything the player really wants to buy.This is by far the best RPG I have ever played for the 360. The game is balanced extremely well, with lots of care given to making the game realistic. Get hit with a giant axe while not blocking equals you're death. One pit fall of many game sis that the currency system usually hits a point where money doesn't matter anymore, because there isn't anything the player really wants to buy. Dark Souls completely fixes this problem with two clever moves. First, it's difficult to mass wealth (souls), because you can lose them all when you die. Second, level ups and item upgrades are purchased with souls, which insures that they are always desirable. This game rewards patients, carful thought, and above all skill. Expand
  64. Oct 23, 2011
    Dark Souls is not for the impatient. Note that I do not say that it is not for the unskilled, as I believe anyone could master Dark Souls given time. It's like any other game, and its difficulty should not be seen as a deterrent but something to be embraced. If not, then it'd be like playing D&D, but without the threat of death around every corner. It would be like skydiving from ten feetDark Souls is not for the impatient. Note that I do not say that it is not for the unskilled, as I believe anyone could master Dark Souls given time. It's like any other game, and its difficulty should not be seen as a deterrent but something to be embraced. If not, then it'd be like playing D&D, but without the threat of death around every corner. It would be like skydiving from ten feet above the ground. No risk, no adrenaline.
    I bought this game completely out of the blue, having never played its predecessor or looking at the reviews. As far as negative opinions go, I guess mine was about as close as you'd get - I felt all the rage of the people rating 0s, I felt crushed and helpless and like I'd never beat the game. I spent ten hours trying to beat the Taurus Demon. But I had patience. I beat that boss and all the rest along the way, and I finished the game. And the result was a complete turnaround of my initial feelings of dread. For all you reviewing negatively, I ask you to first finish the game. If you can tell me that you didn't like it after that, I'll believe you. Otherwise, be patient, and keep working.
  65. Feb 20, 2012
    Dark Souls is the BEST RPG GAME THIS GEN!!! the only reason some people hate it is becasue its Hard.. Otherwise its a really great and fun game. You MUST by it if you have a PS3 or Xbox 360
  66. Nov 13, 2011
    i heard a lot good things about this game so i played demon souls couple months before dark souls came out. i loved it! i admit that it demon souls boss fights may have been a bit more creative but dark souls still impresses me greatly. i especially love (and hate) the feeling of fear and frustration of dieing just when the boss was one hit from death. this feeling will haunt you throughi heard a lot good things about this game so i played demon souls couple months before dark souls came out. i loved it! i admit that it demon souls boss fights may have been a bit more creative but dark souls still impresses me greatly. i especially love (and hate) the feeling of fear and frustration of dieing just when the boss was one hit from death. this feeling will haunt you through out the game, this tension and stress comes from the possibility of losing everything that you had earned from the last few hours and losing it all due to a bad roll, block, attack, spell cast etc. this is why i enjoyed the game so much, true it may not be for most people. the sense of loss and frustration may not your 'thing", but due to these feelings dark souls is one game that stands out in my library. also there is some issues with the game involving the frame rate, certain areas are worse than others but it is mostly due to the fact that ps3 and xbox hardware is getting old. plus it doesn't hinder the game to the point unplayability, it is more of an annoyance. if u ignore these flaws you will have a immensely enjoyable experience. Expand
  67. Feb 17, 2012
    1 line to prove a badly put together game:
    1 line to prove a badly put together game:
    Peoples mouths don't move, nuff sed. If From Studios cant animate mouths then what CAN they do. The games a bore and as you encounter the same enemy relentlessly the urge to rip your own eyeballs from your head increases. If you are thinking of getting this game, go for a more up to date game like one from the fallout series or elder scrolls. This game had the making of a brilliant game , its a shame it was put into the hands of From Studios.
  68. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is the most overrated ever! Let me Explain why I think this game is bad.......1st: There is no choice of difficulty settings, instead you were force to be challenge all the time (which I hate).......2nd: Its exactly the same game as Demon Souls, only difference is the place, environment and the monsters, people was mad that "COD" always being a rip off from its previous gameThis game is the most overrated ever! Let me Explain why I think this game is bad.......1st: There is no choice of difficulty settings, instead you were force to be challenge all the time (which I hate).......2nd: Its exactly the same game as Demon Souls, only difference is the place, environment and the monsters, people was mad that "COD" always being a rip off from its previous game every time but what about Dark Souls rip off Demon Souls?..... 3rd: Its not "open world" type like Skyrim or Fallout 3 but instead your were force to go on a linear path anywhere........4th: There is very few dialogue choices while communicating with several NPCs (infact there were very few NPCs) on a game which its genre has being called an "RPG" game........5th There is no "cheats" or what so ever for players who are so frustrated by the game and doesn't want to be challenge.......6th: There is no storyline to it, just a linear dialogue and cutscene to push you forward? To me gaming is about "fun" and I find this game isn't about "fun" but "challenges". For me who has less "free time" and a busy person, I find this game a horrible game for me...... If I want to be challenged, I'll do it in real life like challenge myself in sports or any competition that benefits me in real life and not on a nerd virtual videogame that was made by someone who is successful at making money from giving others "challenges". Expand
  69. Nov 1, 2012
    The game is impossible to control. Controles are by default incorrect displayed in the interface(For PC version at least). I would defenitely not recommend this game to anyone. The game defenitely has a lot of potential but is not executed well.
  70. Sep 24, 2015
    I bought it on Steam for PC. I know the controls suck but I battled for a couple of hours getting DSfix and DSMfix going and voila, almost playable. I loved the world and enemies enough to really want to play.

Four hours later so six hours in total I have given up. I am stuck spawning in the same place over and over again for over three hours. I am sick of it. It is not hard, it is taking the pi$$.
  71. Feb 13, 2012
    Instead of falling into the love it or hate it category. I am kind of indifferent about dark souls. It's certainly challenging. And there is a serious sense of empowerment from overcoming a situation based on understanding it. The combat is well constructed, and certainly involves more elements of craft than something like skyrim's. However after 63 hours with this game. I really haveInstead of falling into the love it or hate it category. I am kind of indifferent about dark souls. It's certainly challenging. And there is a serious sense of empowerment from overcoming a situation based on understanding it. The combat is well constructed, and certainly involves more elements of craft than something like skyrim's. However after 63 hours with this game. I really have nothing to say about it beyond listing it's features. Nothing is memorable besides the difficulty. It's almost mathematical. With no emotion or sweeping adventure. It's cold. And kind of dead. And that might be the point of what is being presented - however it's moving parts don't create something fascinating or magical or emotional. But rather a construct for masochistic players. I don't like being punished. Or hated. I don't like mean spirited things. This game feels like a heavy metal listening programmer - He's cold and condescending, ferociously skilled and talented - however the more time you spend with him, the less you like him. I liked dark souls until I understood dark souls. Now I am happy to be away, smiling, and supporting people. Being a good person. In the nice fresh air. Free. Free to enjoy the world and smile. And smell flowers. And kiss, and hug. And love. Expand
  72. Nov 4, 2011
    Difficult to master, extremely punishing, rage educing & infuriating at times.

You will need to do your own research, scout the wiki's and plan ahead.

But when it all comes together, when you finally understand the concepts and the basics, its extremely rewarding.
  73. Oct 21, 2011
    Great game, very challenging but satisfying. If you didn't like this game because your bad at video games, then go play halo on easy mode and don't have kids.
  74. Oct 15, 2011
    On October 7th I was supposed to buy Rage, it was part of my gaming calender prior to Skyrim and Arkham Asylum. Dark Souls has made me scrap that plan. I'll probably be playing it for months, Rage is out the window, Arkham Asylum is on hold until spring next year probably and Skyrim will be my second fiddle game. I took a chance on Dark Souls, I knew nothing of its predecessor or itsOn October 7th I was supposed to buy Rage, it was part of my gaming calender prior to Skyrim and Arkham Asylum. Dark Souls has made me scrap that plan. I'll probably be playing it for months, Rage is out the window, Arkham Asylum is on hold until spring next year probably and Skyrim will be my second fiddle game. I took a chance on Dark Souls, I knew nothing of its predecessor or its developer but I took a chance because it looked different to the polished, same-y big budget rpgs I usually play and after 25 hours of playtime I can confirm that is definitely the case. This game takes challenge and reward to a whole new level, it refuses to hold my hand at any point and forces me to think and learn while playing it, I haven't enjoyed a game this much since i first started playing WoW, (incidentally WoW was the game that I thought would kill all console games for me forever until Dark Souls was released). The depth of character/gear building, combined with the challenge of the game and the fantastic insanely gothic atmosphere that surrounds every step my character takes has made this a truly special game for me, one that I will never forget and will always list it as one of my favourite games of all time. Expand
  75. Nov 14, 2011
    This is by far my favorite game of 2011, if not the best from the last couple of years! The last game that had me hooked like this was Resident Evil 4! And by hooked I mean playing enough to have reached my 4th playthrough in a row! Coming from me, a gamer that likes to play as much different games as possible, that means a lot! Don't let the difficulty of this game dissuade you fromThis is by far my favorite game of 2011, if not the best from the last couple of years! The last game that had me hooked like this was Resident Evil 4! And by hooked I mean playing enough to have reached my 4th playthrough in a row! Coming from me, a gamer that likes to play as much different games as possible, that means a lot! Don't let the difficulty of this game dissuade you from trying! This game is about as hard as any "survival" games like Resident Evil or Silent Hill! Yes you will get one-shot killed, yes you will get ganged in a corner, yes you will die from falling of a ledge, but if you do, that's probably because you weren't careful! This game is ruthless, but if you play smart, you will progress and thrive and feel very rewarded! Seriously, if you consider yourself a gamer, you cannot not play this game! Expand
  76. Oct 5, 2012
    If you are a gamer that wants some challenge, get this game yeah it´s hard as hell but its totally worth it, the boss battles are epic and all the adventure you go trough, the combat works well, the atmosphere is really cool and also discovering the secrets of this game.
  77. Dec 30, 2011
    This is a good game, so hear me out.It's the falling attack gimmick that irks me and made me quit.Most boss fights revolve around finding some place to climb up, waiting and using said falling attack to do a huge amount of damage to him.Not only does this kill the mood of the fight but it makes no sense to me whatsoever.I just can't take a game that presents itself as "difficult" andThis is a good game, so hear me out.It's the falling attack gimmick that irks me and made me quit.Most boss fights revolve around finding some place to climb up, waiting and using said falling attack to do a huge amount of damage to him.Not only does this kill the mood of the fight but it makes no sense to me whatsoever.I just can't take a game that presents itself as "difficult" and "challenging" seriously when such simple and illogical methods defeat these monstrous bosses we are presented with. Expand
  78. Oct 16, 2011
    I had fun setting up my character, and starting thru the tutorial... that's about it. After I escape the first dungeon, I meet a knight and decide to fight him and take his soul (I'm a thief in the game after all...). He kills me in 3 hits... Fine, try again. Respawn/reload the game, he kills me again! The fighting is so lame... He hits me, and my character has to go thru this delayedI had fun setting up my character, and starting thru the tutorial... that's about it. After I escape the first dungeon, I meet a knight and decide to fight him and take his soul (I'm a thief in the game after all...). He kills me in 3 hits... Fine, try again. Respawn/reload the game, he kills me again! The fighting is so lame... He hits me, and my character has to go thru this delayed reaction/animation, realizing he's getting hit, and by the time I regain control, I'm hit again, then dead... again. Fine, can't fight him, I'll reload the game and run away. Nope, he just follows me no matter where I go, and how far I run. My hits are so weak, they barely register, and of course, he has no slow down from my hits, just continues thru his attack motion as if I'm not hitting him multiple times. 9 Deaths later, and screaming at he TV, i quit. Not fun. Why not at least "reset the scene" if the player is killed? If it was a mistake to fight the first character I meet, why not let me learn that, and leave him be upon reloading? Do i have to restart the whole game, and go thru the tutorial dungeon all over again? How many similar situations would ruin my evenings if I decided to keep this torture session disguised as a video game? I would have loved to play with a friend to help me, why restrict me from doing so? Multiplayer is random and can't be coordinated. Not fun. I gave it a rest and tried again the next day, still not fun. At all. Trading it in for Batman Arkham City. Expand
  79. Nov 11, 2011
    What a lot of crap really the graphics for next gen could have been alot better, controls that drive you insane..meeting other characters in the game talk but make no sense and they don't even move it's like a mime show..All the hype really I feel robbed I even thought keep going it's going to get better o gee died, died and died again..no real effort in character design hell let makeWhat a lot of crap really the graphics for next gen could have been alot better, controls that drive you insane..meeting other characters in the game talk but make no sense and they don't even move it's like a mime show..All the hype really I feel robbed I even thought keep going it's going to get better o gee died, died and died again..no real effort in character design hell let make character and you be wearing a sacks for armour really come on..I hope Skyrim is alot better than this all this game is good for is a cup mat to remind how you wasted your money on a over hyped game... Expand
  80. Nov 19, 2011
    Good game, but the cheap deaths is a very negative aspect to this game, and there's a lot of it. The story is not as good as Dark Souls and the absence of a central "Nexus" also ruins this game for me. I feel that the bosses are also not as memorable as Dark Souls. Another negative thing is that the game is full of people who spam "soul" glitches to reach levels that are far too highGood game, but the cheap deaths is a very negative aspect to this game, and there's a lot of it. The story is not as good as Dark Souls and the absence of a central "Nexus" also ruins this game for me. I feel that the bosses are also not as memorable as Dark Souls. Another negative thing is that the game is full of people who spam "soul" glitches to reach levels that are far too high (300-700) to even challenge against when you are in certain covenants such as the Darkmoon covenant. Expand
  81. May 6, 2012
    Story sucks. Too difficult. Don't waist your time with this game. Takes hours upon hours to do anything. Don't wait your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  82. Feb 10, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game. Make no mistake. It is frustratingly hard and sometimes the grinding for souls gets a bit boring, but the satisfaction of beating the bosses and even the mini-bosses is well worth it.

It is weird that the selection of character doesn't really make a huge deal as you can play however you wish regardless of what class. In a nutshell..... very hard and

In a nutshell..... very hard and frustrating, but worthwhile.
  83. Jan 18, 2015
    A spiritual successor to the PS3 only Demon Souls, Dark Souls is a game like nothing else available on the Xbox360. As you may well have already have heard you will die a lot in the process of attempting to complete the game. In the 75+ hours it took me to finish I would estimate that I suffered in excess of one hundred deaths. Unlike a number of other games I could name however thisA spiritual successor to the PS3 only Demon Souls, Dark Souls is a game like nothing else available on the Xbox360. As you may well have already have heard you will die a lot in the process of attempting to complete the game. In the 75+ hours it took me to finish I would estimate that I suffered in excess of one hundred deaths. Unlike a number of other games I could name however this rarely (Blight Town’s frame rates and a certain archer being the exception) became frustrating as each death can be seen as a learning experience allowing you to progress just that little bit further next time.

Following a short, but tough, tutorial section the player finds themselves in an open world that they are free to explore any direction they choose. Never knowing what is around the next corner provides a truly tense yet exhilarating experience and reaching a bonfire (the games equivalent of checkpoints) provides such a huge sense of relief that you will often find yourself letting out a deep breath.

All this is backed up by an excellent combat system that allows for the use of magic, bow and melee tactics as well as any combination in between. Forgoing the use of complex button combinations success depends on quickly working out the attack patterns of the huge variety of enemies and launching your own attacks at just the right moment. A seconds lapse in concentration can be fatal even against the games most basic foes!

If all this sounds impossible help is fortunately always at hand from fellow on-line players. Using an item found early in the game players can leave messages for each other providing information on how to find secret areas or on the weaknesses of certain enemies. It is even possible to summon another player into your world in order to assist you on a particularly troublesome boss and this can go a long way to swinging the odds in your favour.

For anyone looking for something just that bit different I can't recommend Dark Souls highly enough, just ensure that you have the internet handy as the game doesn't clearly explain many of the concepts that are vital if you are to make any kind of progress.
  84. Mar 6, 2012
    Finished the game. Rate it a 7. The game designer/producer describes the game as "spicy" yet "edible". I suggest the game is more "bitter" than "spicy", and having been "eaten" it leaves a bad aftertaste. Story is minimal, camera and controls are chaotic, frame rate is bad in many areas, and the game requires too much repetition in order to figure out how to progress. I substitutedFinished the game. Rate it a 7. The game designer/producer describes the game as "spicy" yet "edible". I suggest the game is more "bitter" than "spicy", and having been "eaten" it leaves a bad aftertaste. Story is minimal, camera and controls are chaotic, frame rate is bad in many areas, and the game requires too much repetition in order to figure out how to progress. I substituted that repetition with online walk-throughs (which I try to avoid but could not avoid in this case). I rate it a 7 because it is entertaining in parts, but overall it is not a game I would ever recommend or replay Expand
  85. Oct 29, 2014
    I played this gem on the 360. Tied with Mass Effect 2, I consider them the best games of this console generation.

Atmosphere: The art style is beautiful. The world is dark and gives you a sense that everyone is stripped of all hope. A wonderful lore filled with gods, heroes, big mistakes and contrast sits in the background and sets the tone for your journey. Gameplay: The game feels

Gameplay: The game feels rewarding in two ways. First, as everyone knows, the bosses are difficult and beating them is an achievement. But, also, being patient and grinding is rewarding in the sense that you can become relatively overpowered and easily go through the content (for the normal playthrough at least). The combat is very well crafted. It's methodical and slow. Every enemy is important.

A fantastic take on dark fantasy RPGs. I loved it and played through it tens of times.
  86. Jun 13, 2012
    Na minha opinião é o MELHOR JOGO que joguei dessa geração de consoles!! Se você é um jogador veterano, que jogou bastante o famoso classico CASTLEVANIA SYNPHONY OF THE NIGHT, e até HOJE, se sente "orfão" (pois acha a que Konami não fez um á digno pra essaNa minha opinião é o MELHOR JOGO que joguei dessa geração de consoles!! Se você é um jogador veterano, que jogou bastante o famoso classico CASTLEVANIA SYNPHONY OF THE NIGHT, e até HOJE, se sente "orfão" (pois acha a que Konami não fez um á digno pra essa geração), você vai jogar DARK SOULS e vai dizer a cada minuto:

" Ã
  87. Feb 12, 2013
    Darksouls is one of the most amazing Games out there. I've never played Demon Souls because i hadn't got the console there yet and i truly regret that. This Series throws you into Bloody Battles that you might think are Challenging... Looking deeper in the Game you will begin to understand, that this Game resembles a real War, not only for your Live but it show whats most important inDarksouls is one of the most amazing Games out there. I've never played Demon Souls because i hadn't got the console there yet and i truly regret that. This Series throws you into Bloody Battles that you might think are Challenging... Looking deeper in the Game you will begin to understand, that this Game resembles a real War, not only for your Live but it show whats most important in actual Battles: Experience!
    Its an achievement to get to the first Bell true but its an even greater achievment to play the game again and do the same in just an fifth of the time. Dark Souls is not a Game for everyone and especially not people who go Head first into Battles not thinking about how to fight.

The Game would have gotten a 10 from me, but the Graphics are too Old, The Multiplayer System sucks and it got some bugs and problems here and there. Still its an awesome game and i spend way more than 100h on this game trying to get an even higher Level. Its fun and addictive and even though the Graphics are beautiful they are full of little Details here and there. You really feel as if you are in the world. Unfortunately that is not something everyone gets to Experience but this game is one of my All time Favorites
  88. Oct 22, 2011
    I came in not knowing what to expect as I had never played Demon's Souls and knew nothing about the series except I'd read a lot of good reviews, and it was a sort of western-themed JRPG/hack and slash. Aside from the incomprehensible story common to most games from Japan, Dark Souls is a great experience, but it's definitely not for everyone. It is VERY difficult and gives zero help toI came in not knowing what to expect as I had never played Demon's Souls and knew nothing about the series except I'd read a lot of good reviews, and it was a sort of western-themed JRPG/hack and slash. Aside from the incomprehensible story common to most games from Japan, Dark Souls is a great experience, but it's definitely not for everyone. It is VERY difficult and gives zero help to people either new to the series or these types of games in general. The checkpoint bonfires are few and far between, and there is a sort of penalty for using them (enemies respawn). Enemies can and will use 'cheap' attacks, stunlocking you or killing you in 2 hits. Difficult bosses appear from nowhere and cause you to lose all your accumulated souls. Sometimes you make a mistake and a group of normal enemies absolutely wipe the floor with you. But you know... all of that is part of Dark Souls charm. Playing it I was reminded of Vagrant Story and if you can get past the difficulty, there is a very deep and satisfying game here. It's also not a game you sit down to play in the morning and finish a little after lunch. The online portion of it with other players leaving hints of what to do and the pvp invasion segments are very innovative (at least, I haven't seen anything like them before). If you enjoy 'nintendo hard' games like Ninja Gaiden Black and don't mind dying a lot to try and beat a tough area, pick up Dark Souls. Expand
  89. Jan 15, 2013
    This game made me rethink the way that I play and enjoy videogames. --------------- TES: Skyrim was released very shortly after Dark Souls. At the time, Skyrim had been heavily hyped and advertised and Dark Souls slipped right past my radar. I do recall seeing it right next to Skyrim on the Metacritic chart but dismissing it. So I played through Skyrim and enjoyed it thoroughly ,This game made me rethink the way that I play and enjoy videogames. --------------- TES: Skyrim was released very shortly after Dark Souls. At the time, Skyrim had been heavily hyped and advertised and Dark Souls slipped right past my radar. I do recall seeing it right next to Skyrim on the Metacritic chart but dismissing it. So I played through Skyrim and enjoyed it thoroughly , thinking it was a 10. But even then I understood that Skyrim is a game where you walk around without any risk. This isn't a knock and it isn't unusual - most games these days present no actual risk, no heart-pounding moments. In Skyrim, after you slog your way through mission after mission you eventually build yourself into an unstoppable juggernaut. So whereas at the beginning of the game all you had to do was run or reload, by the end the only way you're going to die is if you hurl yourself off a cliff. At that point, it Expand
  90. Mar 23, 2012
    You the chosen undead make your pilgramage from the undead asylum in the north to lordran to fulfil the prophecy and break the curse of the darksign. For people who played the previous game "demon's souls" this game will be very familiar as it plays exactly the same with the odd addition here and there, there is also the familiar concept of souls as currency that you drop when dead andYou the chosen undead make your pilgramage from the undead asylum in the north to lordran to fulfil the prophecy and break the curse of the darksign. For people who played the previous game "demon's souls" this game will be very familiar as it plays exactly the same with the odd addition here and there, there is also the familiar concept of souls as currency that you drop when dead and have to fight your way back to. The best new feature of this game is the intergrated world, no longer do you have the nexus hub and warp to each level now you must fight your way to wherever you must journey. This game like the last one is for gamers seeking a test of skill and determination. A game not for the weak of mind or the weak of heart. Expand
  91. Oct 23, 2011
    This game rapes you in the ass, and makes you love it.

That's what I'd put in the back of the box. Better than Demon's Souls in almost every aspect, but after seeing so many ideas recycled from Demon's Souls, I'm kinda sad they didn't add a Maiden in Black equivalent character. I miss her a lot. The lack of nexus to call "home" and keep the game structured makes the game far more
    This game rapes you in the ass, and makes you love it.

That's what I'd put in the back of the box.

The lack of nexus to call "home" and keep the game structured makes the game far more psychologically oppressive, that is good considering the nature of the game, but also prevents me from playing too much, cause at some point my anguish meter goes too high.
  92. Oct 10, 2011
    This game has almost required me to learn to breathe properly again. I could almost swear I spent two hours last night plodding around the Undead Parish in quiet resignation that the next undead Knight or swordsman I came across would end with me modelling a new line in sword based neckware. And yet after a short foot chase towards a distant clanging which somewhere in the dark recesses ofThis game has almost required me to learn to breathe properly again. I could almost swear I spent two hours last night plodding around the Undead Parish in quiet resignation that the next undead Knight or swordsman I came across would end with me modelling a new line in sword based neckware. And yet after a short foot chase towards a distant clanging which somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain I reckoned was a blacksmith's forge, I found the ultimate prize. The Bonfire. And that's when I realised I had barely drawn breath for the last 40 minutes. It's also when my hope returned, and, after sharpening my Scimitar, when I decided I could TAKE that gigantic black knight that had chased me relentlessly across the area. This game has you by the balls and it loves to look into your eyes and squeeze. But it is possible to learn to like this. Just be prepared to be razor sharp, error free, and supremely vigilant. Others will help, but in the end, it's down to you and you alone. My next real challenge seems almost insurmountable, and to even GET to it will require near perfect technique and a little bit of luck. But I can hear a bell tolling in the distance that tells me others have achieved what I am setting out to do. I just might need a stiff drink first... Expand
  93. Oct 23, 2011
    I never expected I would buy Dark Souls. I had heard of Demon Souls, and its legendary difficulty, but I never paid any attention. A few days after Dark Souls released, I saw a walkthrough video, and immediately fell in love with the game. I bought it the next day, and started an adventure I still am not done with. Dark Souls has solidified its place in my top ten, and for good reason.I never expected I would buy Dark Souls. I had heard of Demon Souls, and its legendary difficulty, but I never paid any attention. A few days after Dark Souls released, I saw a walkthrough video, and immediately fell in love with the game. I bought it the next day, and started an adventure I still am not done with. Dark Souls has solidified its place in my top ten, and for good reason. The gameplay is solid, the atmosphere is intense, and the game just make me feel like I could take on any challenge. The difficulty is something I was greatly desiring from a game for a while. Too many game hold your hand through the entire campaign, while Dark Souls just tells you the controls, and lets you and the community find out the rest. The combat system is simple, just the way I like it. You figure out what your enemy is weak against, and exploit it to win. But it wasn't the combat or the difficulty that kept me playing, it was the world the game created. I have found memories dungeon crawling in Diablo, and Dark Souls felt like a blast from the past. The idea of fighting through hordes of diverse enemies, finding loot, exploring secret passages and shortcuts, all in a dark fantasy setting is a winning combination no matter what game it is. I sometimes wish the game could delve in deeper to it's lore, but at the same time I like making things up as I go along. The open feel of the game is also quite welcoming, as I can go down whatever path I feel like. The design of the weapons and armor is spectacular. My only real complaints with the game is the fact that I can not be in an Xbox Live party and play the game online at the same time. It isn't a huge problem, but it can get annoying when a friend wants to talk to me and my game has to return to the main menu. There are also occasional framerate issues. This game though makes up for those things several times over however. This game came out of the blue for me, and I couldn't be happier taking a chance on it. Expand
  94. Oct 13, 2011
    if your like me. you have been at a loose end since the days of playing morrowind on the hardest difficulty setting. or even going as far as completing the original gauntlet on the sinclair zx. for games that hate you. they dont want you to succeed. they want you to eat the bitter troll leg of defeat over and over again. but when you dig in and not let the game beat you. and with a littleif your like me. you have been at a loose end since the days of playing morrowind on the hardest difficulty setting. or even going as far as completing the original gauntlet on the sinclair zx. for games that hate you. they dont want you to succeed. they want you to eat the bitter troll leg of defeat over and over again. but when you dig in and not let the game beat you. and with a little skill and a ton of luck. dark souls lets you live in the glow for just a few seconds. then slams the door shut and puts another big nasty b-stard of a boss in your path. the sequel to 2009 gamespot rpg of the year comes this work of dark art. that grabs you by the face and drags you from pillar to post. it may not have the sweeping storyline of a final fantasy or mass effect but its all about the brutal combat. the scary monsters that have no mercy for you. and a dark unforgiving atmosphere i havent seen in a game since the original silent hill. dark souls is a must for anyone who is not afraid to withstand a brutal ass kicking and a little old school xp grinding to enjoy this modern classic. not for rage-quitters! Expand
  95. Oct 15, 2011
    When you die your first time in Dark Souls it is frustrating. You've lost souls, time, and hard work. After the first one-hundred times you die you will stop caring. The graphics are nothing special, but the game has amazing aesthetics. It entwines you in to the world very easily and you will instantly feel as though you are in the Dark Souls world. Combat is tight, very tight. To theWhen you die your first time in Dark Souls it is frustrating. You've lost souls, time, and hard work. After the first one-hundred times you die you will stop caring. The graphics are nothing special, but the game has amazing aesthetics. It entwines you in to the world very easily and you will instantly feel as though you are in the Dark Souls world. Combat is tight, very tight. To the point where you know that the reason you died was your own fault.

Cons: Enemies can attack through walls, while you are penalized for striking through walls. This can be annoying in narrow corridors.
    The HUD is ugly, very ugly.
    Co-Op with friends in near impossible.
  96. Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, so first of all this game is great but falsely difficult. The game has a nice feel of scale, but unfortunately the frame rate goes down exactly because of the scale. Dark souls has a very unique feel of accomplishment after beating an enemy you couldn't beat before. The game claims to be difficult but as long as you understand the mechanics, you shouldn't have any problems for the mostOk, so first of all this game is great but falsely difficult. The game has a nice feel of scale, but unfortunately the frame rate goes down exactly because of the scale. Dark souls has a very unique feel of accomplishment after beating an enemy you couldn't beat before. The game claims to be difficult but as long as you understand the mechanics, you shouldn't have any problems for the most part. All you need to do is learn enemies pattern and they will become easy...in case you have a good equipment, it's an RPG after all. The graphics are up-to-date, but everything feels better, once again, because of the scale. Demon's souls was known for its strategic gameplay - i.e. you learned something new after every death, but Dark souls feels a little unfair at times. Controls WILL feel clunky at the beginning, but you just have to accept them before you'll start enjoying the game. For the most part this game needs to be understood by the player, and you CANNOT recommend it to anyone, it's either love or hate, and i love it, but the flaws are just too obvious to give it a 10. Expand
  97. Oct 17, 2011
    The key thing to not for Dark Souls is that it is NOT for everyone. You will die a lot. That aside, the combat is great. The open ended world is fantastic and gives you a great feeling of freedom. The controls are solid. And the sense of accomplishment when you beat an area or a boss that you thought was impossible is hard to describe. I highly highly recommend this underrated game toThe key thing to not for Dark Souls is that it is NOT for everyone. You will die a lot. That aside, the combat is great. The open ended world is fantastic and gives you a great feeling of freedom. The controls are solid. And the sense of accomplishment when you beat an area or a boss that you thought was impossible is hard to describe. I highly highly recommend this underrated game to diehard RPG fans.

The biggest problem I've had with this game are some frame-rate issues simply due to the immensity of some areas. Hopefully they can tighten that up!

It looks to me like most of the harshly negative reviews are from those who are simply not accustomed to or are really fans of this type of game. So, I'll give it a 10.
  98. Oct 19, 2011
    Amazing. Reminds me of Simon's Quest. Best game I've played in ages.
    Hard, but not cheap. The sense of discovery makes the dying worthwhile.
    If you have the time to sink into it, do it. You won't regret it.
  99. Oct 21, 2011
    I have been a Metacritic fan for a bit, but made an account just to write about this fantastic game. Many will say it is just "not for them" or attack people for "fanboyism". What matters is this is the RPG masterpiece that is a worthy successor to Demon's Souls. The game starts very difficult, but rewards exploration and skill like no other RPG before it. Out of my friends that I gameI have been a Metacritic fan for a bit, but made an account just to write about this fantastic game. Many will say it is just "not for them" or attack people for "fanboyism". What matters is this is the RPG masterpiece that is a worthy successor to Demon's Souls. The game starts very difficult, but rewards exploration and skill like no other RPG before it. Out of my friends that I game with, several love it, several hate it. If you think you might not like any game rent it first. If you like it, but are not doing well, get the guide. But for gamings' sake PLAY THIS GAME. I need Dark Souls 2. Bad. Expand
  100. Oct 21, 2011
    Greatest game i purchased over years ... reminds me of Gothic 2 ^^ .. when u go somewhere ur 2 weak u get bashed to hell (or if u just dont know what to do with the enemy^^) so it has a lot of exploring and learning by doing, but i love this kind of Gameplay.
    I see myself running very often 2 the church buying those damn rings preventing death penalties :D
    The ability to make new weapons
    The ability to make new weapons out of upgraded weapons is amazing too Can recommend it to every Gothic Fan

1. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, Dark Souls is a more difficult, but less enjoyable (and less accessible) Demon's Souls.
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Souls' world is dense with something new around every corner. [Issue#78, p.76]
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Souls makes no bones about being unrelenting in its difficulty though, although it's by no means insurmountable. It's a rare game that's unlike anything else, refusing to pander or compromise in any way, shape or form. In this day and age, Dark Souls is hugely refreshing then, and well worth the time and effort.