8.4

1. May 22, 2015
    I originally hated Demon's Souls, yet I decided to buy Dark Souls three days after release. I died and died and died. After making it to Bell Gargoyles after 15 hours in my first playthrough, I gave up. I came back three months later, and for some reason, I enjoyed it. I restarted the game, explored every aspect of the world I could, looked up help online, and had an amazingI originally hated Demon's Souls, yet I decided to buy Dark Souls three days after release. I died and died and died. After making it to Bell Gargoyles after 15 hours in my first playthrough, I gave up. I came back three months later, and for some reason, I enjoyed it. I restarted the game, explored every aspect of the world I could, looked up help online, and had an amazing experience. After learning how to play this game, I easily completed Dark Souls 2. Now, this series is my second favorite of all time. Expand
  2. May 17, 2015
    Hours and hours of rage and endless trying of not looking on internet how you do this part and that part. Still you got to love this game, it is a big challenge. If you already got trough this game you deserve some kind of trophy.
  3. Apr 28, 2015
    OVERALL - 0 (or less)
    OVERALL - 0 (or less)
    The Dark Souls series are the worst-designed games ever made and have no redeeming factor. They are also the most overrated, because for reasons I can't understand, the rest of the internet adores them and actually praises their flaws as if they were virtues. "Hard but fair" they say? Dark Souls isn't hard, it's time-consuming and obtuse; once you waste 5 hours grinding your level up and find the "cheat" weapons with the walkthrough, most encounters become so easy they're boring; and it isn't fair, the game randomly punishes you (SEVERELY) often and without warning, and is totally unplayable without a step-by-step walkthrough. If someone patched the game to remove the upgrade system, properly balance the enemy encounters, and put a navigation arrow telling you where to go, a 50-hour-plus slog would turn into a 3-hour game that would bore you after the first hour.

CONTROL - 2
    DS is a shallow hack-and-slash. Damage can go through blocking shields, and is affected by range to the enemy and whether you press the light/fast attack or heavy attack button, with every move drawing from a limited but regenerating stamina pool. There are only three moves:
    a) while locked-on, deflect an incoming attack to instant-kill; this reduces the game to a quicktime event without a button prompt
    b) while locked-on, hold the shield button to block a strike until the enemy staggers, then counter-attack
    c) do a dodge-roll to avoid a strike, then counter-attack. This is the most risky strategy, it mostly only works on bosses (whereas a and b only work on standard soldiers)
    All of these put you at risk when you face more than one enemy at a time, because you can only focus on one.
    The game also lies to you about there being other options. Supposedly it's possible to wield one heavy sword with both hands, or one weapon in each hand, but since you need the shield to block if you want to survive multiple encounters, these are impossible.

PRESENTATION - 7
    Graphics aren't bad, but everything more or less looks alike (brick castle with vegetation); the only reason you recognize places is that the game halts your progress so much you become familiar with the most generic of locations. The story isn't great but is unintrusive. Enemies ragdoll when they die and the physics of broken crates/barrels is actually pretty cool, although physics never affect gameplay.

DESIGN - 0
    Non-automatic upgrade systems are a cancer on videogames, because they always result in boring grinding early on and then being boring-ly overpowered later in the game. Of course DS embraces both flaws to both extremes. But worse, you drop all non-spent experience points where you die and they vanish if you don't collect them on the next life, so it's easily possible to waste 2 hours of your time for nothing.
    Every checkpoint has like 5 paths branching from it, 2 of them hidden, only 1 of them feasible in order to advance the game, and of course there are no hints as to which path that is. It is unplayable without a walkthrough. This is a problem videogames solved around the GTA3/Crazy Taxi era: navigation arrows.
    Personally, I don't like "exploration" games, but for those who do, one of the prerequisites is that exploration not be painful. In DS, the constant risk of losing all your experience holds you back from trying new paths or risky jumps. At one point I fell into a pit and got hit by a gas that took half my health (aka "cursed"). PERMANENTLY. Unless you trekked across the entire map and bought one of a LIMITED number of cures. And since enemies respawn, it is totally possible to lose half your health forever.
    There are also some purchaseable projectiles, and the occasional rare item that grants you a significant advantage (like doubling your health or the weapon's damage, etc.) but you'll never use them because you die so regularly that any one-use item would be a waste.
    The game is so punishing that you stop feeling guilty about winning through exploits that aren't fun: spamming projectiles from outside enemy reach, tricking the enemy AI into walking off cliffs, etc.
    This isn't "hard", it's bad design. Super Meat Boy is hard. ANYONE can beat Dark Souls with a walkthrough guide and the willingness to be bored and frustrated for 50 hours straight. I only wasted as much time as I did to see what the fuss was about, and I regret even that.
  4. Apr 18, 2015
    is a very good RPG, what else can i say? oh the frame rate is **** in some parts but the game is so good that makes you forgive it very quickly. the combat is amazing and the pvp is actually very good. The only problem is that it is very difficult to play with a friend online. but hey, it is a very good game
  5. Apr 18, 2015
    A este juego le dedique horas y puedo llegar a decir que ha sido uno de mis juegos favoritos y de los mejores que jugado:

Pros: -un diseño de nivel excelente. -gran variedad de enemigos. -un gran trasfondo, dando así una historia de lo mas variada con hipótesis. -jugabilidad desafiante. -rejugable al 100%. -gran diseño de escenarios. -una muy buena banda sonora. -los diseños de

Pros:
    -un diseño de nivel excelente.
    -gran variedad de enemigos.
    -un gran trasfondo, dando así una historia de lo mas variada con hipótesis.
    -jugabilidad desafiante.
    -rejugable al 100%.
    -gran diseño de escenarios.
    -una muy buena banda sonora.
    -los diseños de los jefes son muy buenos.
    -muchas cosas ocultas y por descubrir.

Contras:
    -falta de dirección, de repente en el juego no sabes a donde ir.
    -historia que a simple vista no se percata.
    -fallos en el online.

Es un juego que no llega a ser para todos ya que puede llegar a frustrarte, ya que muchas veces no te enteras de nada y la dificultad llega a ser un poco mas hasta que la de otros jugos, sin embargo si uno le da una oportunidad puede tener una gran experiencia con este juego.
  6. Apr 9, 2015
    I've only heard a bit about Dark Souls before playing it. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not since I heard of its difficulty. I have to say, this game is not one that will tell you you are doing something wrong. It told you what do do in the beginning, you didn't listen, it's your fault you forgot their was a lock on feature (my first of many frustrations up to the first boss). It'sI've only heard a bit about Dark Souls before playing it. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not since I heard of its difficulty. I have to say, this game is not one that will tell you you are doing something wrong. It told you what do do in the beginning, you didn't listen, it's your fault you forgot their was a lock on feature (my first of many frustrations up to the first boss). It's difficult if you let it be difficult. One has to learn how the game works, sometimes frustration will ensue; all part of learning. Observe and think, a game where rushing in will all but get you killed by a surprise horde of enemies. People also complain about the lack of story. There is a story, although it is not in your face. You want story? Take some time to read the item descriptions and look around the area, you lean a lot (although much of the lore is speculation, but that's part of the fun isn't it?). The game itself becomes a lot of fun once you lean the areas, and the thrill and suspense of not knowing if the floor will collapse under you leading to a surprise boss fight is prevalent. The wide variety of areas, sometimes you will look off to the distance with curiosity toward something, then a few hours later, be in that exact area. I will leave with saying that it is not for everyone. Some will be forever frustrated and too stubborn to try to keep going, to each their own. Still, a game AT THE VERY LEAST worth a try. Expand
  7. Mar 31, 2015
    I would have given this game a nine because nothing is perfect but all of these low scores are bringing the average way lower than it should be, for such a classic game. That's right, I can happily call this game a classic because it has all the aspects: challenging yet rewarding game play, beautiful artwork, smooth controls, and fantastic music. Obviously this isn't for everyone, but ifI would have given this game a nine because nothing is perfect but all of these low scores are bringing the average way lower than it should be, for such a classic game. That's right, I can happily call this game a classic because it has all the aspects: challenging yet rewarding game play, beautiful artwork, smooth controls, and fantastic music. Obviously this isn't for everyone, but if you actually take the time to play it, the game will consume you. Ultimately, if you're looking for a touching experience, I highly encourage you to play Dark Souls. Expand
  8. Mar 24, 2015
    When i started playing this game i was hoping it would be a breath of fresh ari on the already lack luster Demon souls title,Too bad this game is the same old boring crap we saw with demon souls,just roll and hold your shield up and you win the game.THE END,PLAY A GOOD GAME LIKE GEARS OF WAR
  9. Mar 12, 2015
    If ever asked what game could captivate such an immerse experience for someone, I would right away say: Dark Souls.

The world, the art style, the music, the ambience and loneliness that comes with your character, it's all so chilling and eerie in it's atmosphere. By the end of the game, I truly had to sit there and ask what I had actually acomplished, but in a good way, in terms of the plot and my character's development. Without being harsh and to come across as bigoted, I am sad that some of the more 'simple' players can't see the beauty of this games hidden story and imagination that comes with it. In this game, the story is your story. The journey is yours and thus not much of the story is set in stone, you create this in your head yourself. Sure, there are many theories out there that delve into great detail about this sort of thing on Youtube and I really do recommend them, but do remember that your imagination is still valid and neither correct or wrong.

The combat is also very viseral, realistic (to an extent, it's a game of course) and tense. Sure, the game is prized on it's difficulty, but it's a dying shame to have that be the focus of why to play this. The difficulty adds to your experience. But that is of course my opinion, you can play the game exactly how you want to play it or for whatever reason.

However, don't expect easy co-op sessions with your friends, it's just unheard of. It's to do with connecting via the mulitplayer set up they've created. If you want a co-op Dark Souls game, try the second one as it's much easier for it.

In conclusion: fantastic game
  10. Mar 8, 2015
    Funny to see all the negative reviews regurgitating the same thing over and over again...
    Dark Souls is not for everyone and is a brilliant game, truly one of a kind.

If you are willing to learn and put forth the time needed to get descent, Dark Souls is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences out there.
  11. Jub
    Mar 2, 2015
    This game was a much needed breath of fresh air into the gaming industry.

It's not perfect and I did find that most of the difficulty is down to figuring out the game instead to player skill which is still fun but severely lowers replay difficulty. The setting, story and characters all come together to give this deep sense of hopelessness that will stay with you long after you finish
    This game was a much needed breath of fresh air into the gaming industry.

The setting, story and characters all come together to give this deep sense of hopelessness that will stay with you long after you finish the game.

One of the let downs for me was the PvP. There's really no sense of balance whatsoever.

All in all this game has some really cool uniqueness about it and rewards the players hard efforts.
  12. Feb 17, 2015
    The Good - fun combat and a big world to explore. Good customization.

The Bad - It's a long list, but the main ones: 1. The Cult-like fanboys of this game claim it is the hardest game out there....BS. The only truly difficult part of this game is the beginning bosses aren't scaled. The later bosses are the same toughness, but you are leveled with better equipment making the vast
    The Good - fun combat and a big world to explore. Good customization.

The Bad - It's a long list, but the main ones:

1. The Cult-like fanboys of this game claim it is the hardest game out there....BS. The only truly difficult part of this game is the beginning bosses aren't scaled. The later bosses are the same toughness, but you are leveled with better equipment making the vast majority a cakewalk (and parry/ reposte is so op broken that anything less than a boss, and even some of them, is laughable). That lack of scaling (both ways) is a huge fail. I was as disappointed with the incredible toughness of the first few bosses as I was with the lack of challenge of the last 2/3rds. (Bed of Chaos....what a joke).

2. Whomever designed this basically single player game to include live mp content was a moron. You can't pause the game for any reason (bathroom) or some "committed" fanboy will invade your realm and kill you (if you are human)....and that's in 2015...I can't imagine how annoying that would have been when the game was popular.....unbelievable fail. Many games have a mp component to a sp game....BUT THEY'RE SEPARATE!!!!!!!

3. Story really, really sucks. In truth there really is no story as you could "complete" the game without ever knowing what you were doing or why. Again, the fanboys claim that is by design and that the game doesn't "hold your hand" like all other RPG's....joke on both fronts. Outside of Fable, I have never encountered an RPG that holds your hand more than this game....every 5 feet there is an unmissable note on the floor telling you exactly what to do right in that exact spot...even though you have no idea why you are doing it.....the lack of story is why this game has so many player communities on the net as nobody knows what to do or why.

4. Inventory system is the worst I have ever experienced.....you can't sell your junk and by the time you figure that out, simply dropping the stuff (and no, dupes are not stacked!!!) takes forever...what the ^%& is the point of 25 broken swords!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Feb 14, 2015
    It's a very unique and fresh game, which is surprisingly difficult your first time through. The lore is drip fed to you, which can be a double edged sword. It leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, but in many cases leaves too much room. If you look closely at points, things just don't make sense. It's pretty clear that Miyazaki really loves reusing things, so he tends to cram the sameIt's a very unique and fresh game, which is surprisingly difficult your first time through. The lore is drip fed to you, which can be a double edged sword. It leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, but in many cases leaves too much room. If you look closely at points, things just don't make sense. It's pretty clear that Miyazaki really loves reusing things, so he tends to cram the same things into his games repeatedly, even if they don't have any reason to be there. It's a weird part of Eastern philosophy that things don't need to, and often don't, make sense literally, but can be traced to some philosophical concept that does make sense.

Point of note: this game isn't hard in the sense that you're constantly struggling. This game is hard to get used to. Once you do, it stops being hard. After the first few hours, you learn the majority of the mechanics and what the game expects of you. The gameplay, while difficult and rewarding, diverse and consistently fresh, is incredibly easy to cheese out and subsequent playthroughs offer little. Once you've beaten a new enemy, it's just a matter or repeating the pattern. There are many ways to play (many of which are entirely useless) tons of weapons and fighting styles (again, most of which are entirely worthless) but it can be fun.

The biggest drawbacks I have for this game are that, for one, there are a few optimal play styles, from which any deviation is just wasting your own time and energy, and getting the play style you want often times means beating the game once just to get all the items.

Despite these things, it is still an intensely fun game, offers a very unique challenge, a highly engaging world and a refreshing experience overall.
  14. Feb 14, 2015
    Phenomenal. There is no getting around it, this is, bar none, the absolute best game of the last generation, and one of the best of all time. I've been gaming for decades, and nothing has gotten stuck in my craw quite like this baby.
  15. Feb 1, 2015
    If you are faint-hearted or can't take on a REAL challenge, DO NOT play this game. But if you love a challenge, get this game now.
    The first time played this game I couldn't stand it, so it gathered dust for a few months. But I decided to pop in the disk one more time, and I just couldn't keep my eyes off the screen. I played 7 hours straight that day.
    You don't need to be a hardcore
    You don't need to be a hardcore gamer to be able to complete this game. But you will need A LOT of patience. This is a trial-and-error game. You're SUPPOSED to die. That how you learn what you should and shouldn't do, what weaknesses a certain enemy has, and discover many hidden shortcuts. There is no greater sense of relief and satisfaction than when you defeat a powerful enemy in this game. That's one of the things that make it so great
    Dark Souls is easily one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. This has more replay value than almost any game I can think of. I truly feel a lot of pity for people who can't appreciate this masterpiece.
  16. Jan 20, 2015
    This is one of the worst, most boring games I have ever played

PROS
    -good graphics

CONS
    -sad
    -too much to learn
    -boring
    -slow
    -too hard

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!
  17. Jan 18, 2015
    A spiritual successor to the PS3 only Demon Souls, Dark Souls is a game like nothing else available on the Xbox360. As you may well have already have heard you will die a lot in the process of attempting to complete the game. In the 75+ hours it took me to finish I would estimate that I suffered in excess of one hundred deaths. Unlike a number of other games I could name however thisA spiritual successor to the PS3 only Demon Souls, Dark Souls is a game like nothing else available on the Xbox360. As you may well have already have heard you will die a lot in the process of attempting to complete the game. In the 75+ hours it took me to finish I would estimate that I suffered in excess of one hundred deaths. Unlike a number of other games I could name however this rarely (Blight Town’s frame rates and a certain archer being the exception) became frustrating as each death can be seen as a learning experience allowing you to progress just that little bit further next time.

Following a short, but tough, tutorial section the player finds themselves in an open world that they are free to explore any direction they choose. Never knowing what is around the next corner provides a truly tense yet exhilarating experience and reaching a bonfire (the games equivalent of checkpoints) provides such a huge sense of relief that you will often find yourself letting out a deep breath.

All this is backed up by an excellent combat system that allows for the use of magic, bow and melee tactics as well as any combination in between. Forgoing the use of complex button combinations success depends on quickly working out the attack patterns of the huge variety of enemies and launching your own attacks at just the right moment. A seconds lapse in concentration can be fatal even against the games most basic foes!

If all this sounds impossible help is fortunately always at hand from fellow on-line players. Using an item found early in the game players can leave messages for each other providing information on how to find secret areas or on the weaknesses of certain enemies. It is even possible to summon another player into your world in order to assist you on a particularly troublesome boss and this can go a long way to swinging the odds in your favour.

For anyone looking for something just that bit different I can't recommend Dark Souls highly enough, just ensure that you have the internet handy as the game doesn't clearly explain many of the concepts that are vital if you are to make any kind of progress.
  18. Dec 27, 2014
    Dark Souls is without a doubt my favorite game released on the 7th generation of consoles. It is the only game I would give 10/10, not that it's perfect because it certainly has it's issues, such as frame rate drops in certain areas. However, none of the issues the game have are significant enough to detract from the overall experience.

There are many reasons why I love this game as

There are many reasons why I love this game as much as I do, but I think it is mainly the oppressive, lonely and foreboding atmosphere, combined with its excellent yet simple combat system that makes Dark Souls a uniquely harrowing experience. Much has been made of the games difficulty, and indeed this has put a lot of people off, however it is the games difficulty that creates it's atmosphere and separates it from other action rpg's.

The World of Lordran is brilliantly designed with its web of interconnected areas, cleverly linked by ingenious shortcuts (which negate the need to backtrack once you have unlocked them). Each area in the game has it's own distinct theme with new enemies and as such you never feel bored. There is also just enough narrative to keep you invested in the story. Be warned though, the game will not spoon-feed you directions or checklists, so you will have to pay attention to what little direction/narrative you get.

The name of the game here is perseverance and patience - this is not your typical action rpg game where you can run into any situation and mash R1 until you stand victorious (Skyrim, Dragon age etc...). Dark Souls requires a more measured and tactical approach to combat as even the lowliest of foes can slay you with relative ease. The lack of health regeneration combined with a limit on healing and the games bonfire/checkpoint system really drive home the need to exercise caution at all times.

If you enjoy a challenge then Dark Souls is for you. However, if you are expecting a Bioware/Bethesda approach to the rpg (i.e. focus on dialogue and story) and/or lack patience/perseverance then you are barking up the wrong tree.
  19. Dec 22, 2014
    I personally don't understand why people like this game. The toned down difficulty just spoiled the game, enemies are WAY easier to kill, did not deserve a game of the year nom at the game awards
  20. Dec 14, 2014
    Dark Souls is truly an incredible and unforgettable experience. This game is notorious for being very difficult. In a first playthrough, a new player will find the game pretty tough and some areas are quite challenging. There have been a few instances in my experience where the difficulty gets really frustrating. But overcoming those challenges is a great feeling and satisfying. The amountDark Souls is truly an incredible and unforgettable experience. This game is notorious for being very difficult. In a first playthrough, a new player will find the game pretty tough and some areas are quite challenging. There have been a few instances in my experience where the difficulty gets really frustrating. But overcoming those challenges is a great feeling and satisfying. The amount of freedom you have with your character is unbelievable. You can really play as any kind of character you want. You pick a starting class and then continue with the class roots, or you can go in a complete different direction. With this freedom you can make one amazing, dynamic character. There are also lots and lots of different kinds of armor and weapons to choose from and each of the pieces of equipment can be upgraded in different ways. Because of this, there really is no "best" weapon or armor piece. The main story is okay, it doesn't really go into depth nor is it expanded a lot. There aren't really any quests, the game is extremely nonlinear and you need to figure out where to go next in the world with little guidance. The environment is stunning and wonderful. The different areas in the game are different from one another and exploring each area is an exciting adventure on its own. The PvP part of Dark Souls is pretty fun too. The one thing about PvP is that lag can really affect your battle and can either be in your favor or your opponent's. Dark Souls is an exhilarating game, and it's a must play for any RPG or action-adventure fans. Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2014
    I won't deny it's technically irreprehensible.
    If the only thing that interest you in a game is a high level of challenge, you're welcome, and you'll find plenty here. Along with a ridicuolous plot, nice graphics and... uhm nothing else.
    I won't deny it's technically irreprehensible.
    If you're the kind of people that believes "it's cool to eat roasted spiders because it's challenging and something only for the brave", well... it's the game for you (if you have also the time to go through a steep learning curve.
    If like me, you will always like a good, honest, everyday steak over roasted spiders, well maybe it's not the game for you.
  22. Dec 2, 2014
    this game has brought me the upmost pleasure in everything i do and i fully believe that this... this is art. there is no other game that i'd rather have the pleasure of giving a perfect 10 than the game that managed to kick my ass yet leave me wanting "just one more try" every time it would kick me to the floor it would brush me off, pat my back and say "go get 'em tiger" then proceed tothis game has brought me the upmost pleasure in everything i do and i fully believe that this... this is art. there is no other game that i'd rather have the pleasure of giving a perfect 10 than the game that managed to kick my ass yet leave me wanting "just one more try" every time it would kick me to the floor it would brush me off, pat my back and say "go get 'em tiger" then proceed to rip my flaccid penis off. and i couldn't stop playing it. this is without a doubt the greatest game i have ever played and has rewritten my life to an unbelievable level. i will not be capable of enjoying another game again due to it not being half as good as this godlike masterpiece. if I'm having a bad day, i can sit down with a cup of brew and a controller and just DO something. after you beat it this game has the kind of replay ability usually only found in little big planet. i could sit down and speed run it and be done in just a few hours. i can hop on and port to the silently gorgeous Anor Londo and murder some people who just want to kill Big Smo and the Ornmeister. thats another thing; every bas has fully fledged character to them. Ornstein is a grand duelist who has slain hundreds of dragons and does it all with honor. Smough is willing to kill anyone to get to you, including his long time partner Ornstein, whom he crushes to death just for some extra power. this kind of detail is barely scratching the surface of this dynamic duo. but the verdict of this review :

TL;DR godlike masterpiece, wouldn't play anything else if i could "69/10"
  23. Nov 26, 2014
    This game is dripping with atmosphere, gives you the biggest rush in any game, story that is amazing (if you read the items) and challenges you every step of the way, if you want to jump into the souls series this is the place to start. only thing that can be counted against it is is catering to a more hardcore audience with a steep curve for casuals. If you are tired of linear storiesThis game is dripping with atmosphere, gives you the biggest rush in any game, story that is amazing (if you read the items) and challenges you every step of the way, if you want to jump into the souls series this is the place to start. only thing that can be counted against it is is catering to a more hardcore audience with a steep curve for casuals. If you are tired of linear stories and easy games that hold your hand for their entirety this is the game for you. Expand
  24. Nov 24, 2014
    This game is all about gameplay. And Its rock solid. I havent played other game with this good combat system. I know its hard, the boss life bars are ridiculously big. But i get the feeling that its just like it should be. If Id get there in my real life i would die just as many times as the mc of this game does.
    Strongly recommend, best RPG gameplay wise.
  25. Nov 5, 2014
    Probably one of the hardest games I've ever played and I loved every minute of it. Combat is simple to learn but difficult to master. The lore in this game is super deep and will have you thinking about the world of Lordran. The only negatives is that the graphics look slightly dated now and that there is some issues with frame rate in places. If you can look past these small problems, youProbably one of the hardest games I've ever played and I loved every minute of it. Combat is simple to learn but difficult to master. The lore in this game is super deep and will have you thinking about the world of Lordran. The only negatives is that the graphics look slightly dated now and that there is some issues with frame rate in places. If you can look past these small problems, you can find a cheap gem at your local Gamestop. Expand
  26. Oct 31, 2014
    This and the other souls games are all very similar which is great. They offer the best action rpg gameplay ever concieved alongside a gorgeous, dark and frightening world that should not be missed by any gamer. I cant stress enough how atmospheric and tense this game is. It will truly get your heart racing and your mind working. There are tons of really well hidden secrets and reallyThis and the other souls games are all very similar which is great. They offer the best action rpg gameplay ever concieved alongside a gorgeous, dark and frightening world that should not be missed by any gamer. I cant stress enough how atmospheric and tense this game is. It will truly get your heart racing and your mind working. There are tons of really well hidden secrets and really beautiful loot to collect. Everything here has a purpose, and every area and enemy must be taken seriously. The result is an amazing work of art that is as engaging as it is beautiful. The difficulty is really a plus and should not be something that turns gamers off. The sense of accomplishment you will get from each small victory is so cool and really helps this game get its hooks in you. Expand
  27. Oct 29, 2014
    I played this gem on the 360. Tied with Mass Effect 2, I consider them the best games of this console generation.

Atmosphere: The art style is beautiful. The world is dark and gives you a sense that everyone is stripped of all hope. A wonderful lore filled with gods, heroes, big mistakes and contrast sits in the background and sets the tone for your journey. Gameplay: The game feels

Gameplay: The game feels rewarding in two ways. First, as everyone knows, the bosses are difficult and beating them is an achievement. But, also, being patient and grinding is rewarding in the sense that you can become relatively overpowered and easily go through the content (for the normal playthrough at least). The combat is very well crafted. It's methodical and slow. Every enemy is important.

A fantastic take on dark fantasy RPGs. I loved it and played through it tens of times.
  28. Sep 16, 2014
    There might be kids raging and showing their big hate against this game. But ignore them, they are TOTALLY retarded. This game is the best of the best in my opinion, and will remain the best. I am currently in NG+7, and still not bored. I love this game. I don't care if this game is extremely hard. Its still fun, amazing, fascinating, enjoying. If you want a hard, amazing, interestingThere might be kids raging and showing their big hate against this game. But ignore them, they are TOTALLY retarded. This game is the best of the best in my opinion, and will remain the best. I am currently in NG+7, and still not bored. I love this game. I don't care if this game is extremely hard. Its still fun, amazing, fascinating, enjoying. If you want a hard, amazing, interesting game, Dark Souls is for you. Expand
  29. Sep 11, 2014
    This is the best game I have played in a long time. I would put it on my top 10 list. I played it for over 90 hours (more than any ever), and I would play it again if I had the time.

What did I love? The strategy to build a character to finish the game, the intense encounters with bosses, the huge variety of enemies. This game throws everything at you - but is rarely unfair. An

An incredibly important thing to remember is that because of the leveling system, even mediocre gamers (like me) can ultimately win because we can make our characters more powerful and revisit the boss battles. This being said, you are never overpowering in boss battles. One or two hits can always kill you.

I am a mediocre gamer, but I did complete this game - and thank you internet for all the assistance.

Do I have a few complaints - sure... Sometime camera angles we mucked up; at times the grinding to level up or buy gear was boring; no fast travel between checkpoint until the end of the game; and the fact that save / respawn points to boss battles was sometimes too far.

However, this game does so much right that I would still give it a 10
  30. Sep 9, 2014
    Dark Souls is that kind of game that you pay for so you can feel idiot, miserable and incompetent about yourself. And although you pay gladly for those feelings you wind up having a great and marvelous journey.
  31. Aug 17, 2014
    Disclaimer: Dark Souls is not made to suit the average gamers. Disregard all those bad reviews made by players who could not survive the first few fights of the game. I myself was frustrated in the beginning, until I realized if you play this game with an MMO mentality, you'll do well. If an area is difficult, grind, level up, try again, if it's still difficulty, grind level up, repeat.Disclaimer: Dark Souls is not made to suit the average gamers. Disregard all those bad reviews made by players who could not survive the first few fights of the game. I myself was frustrated in the beginning, until I realized if you play this game with an MMO mentality, you'll do well. If an area is difficult, grind, level up, try again, if it's still difficulty, grind level up, repeat.

The game boasts about difficulty, in the end, it's not the difficulty of the game, it's being patient and studying your enemies, knowing what level certain areas require and once again, being patient. Average gamers expect a Skyrim experience where you can just take on a mob, that's not the case with Dark Souls, the game will punish you for bad decisions.

The game itself is a broken mess, which adds to the "difficulty." The game suffers from: bad frame rate, terrible game mechanics, bad hit detection, bad button input response and recognition. Hence why the 6 is being given, bad game development does not yield a difficult game, it's just lazy development.

Aside from the negatives, the lore of this game is very interesting and will keep you going through out the game. The areas a player visits are interesting, while very linear, the developers did a good job in giving it a pseudo free roam feeling.
  32. Aug 15, 2014
    You better be prepared to die. Dark Souls is brutal: one screw-up can negate hours of progress. However, the reward for triumph is amazing. Nothing feels better than plowing through an area that killed you 10 times, or finally defeating that towering demon boss. Don't be deterred by the naysayers: This game will punish your mistakes, but it can be mastered and beaten.
    The story of Dark
    The story of Dark Souls is minimal. Most of it comes from lore, dialogue, and little details. You are a cursed undead, and must find a way to break the curse. However, fate has given you another calling: and that calling will challenge you to the limit.
    The world of Dark Souls is beautiful and immersive. See that giant tower off in the distance? Often times, if you see an area in the background, you will end up going there. The game starts out somewhat linear, but soon enough the massive world is at your fingertips. Unfortunatley, some parts of the game struggle with major frame-rate issues. It's not game-breaking, but can get you killed if you aren't careful. But other than that, Dark Souls is graphically impressive.
    The Combat system works very well. Every class can use every type of weapon. You don't need to be a wizard to cast spells, and you don't need to be a knight to wear heavy armor. It is a system that lets you choose your own way to fight the brutal enemies the game throws at you.
    Multiplayer is refreshing and exciting. You can choose to invade other players' worlds, or you may be invaded yourself. The invader and the master will duel to the death: and the winner will be greatly rewarded.
    If you love RPGs, go pick up this game. If you prefer casual FPS games like Call of Duty or Halo, still go pick it up for a new, brutal experience. This is a game that I think should not be missed.
  33. Aug 12, 2014
    Dark Souls is the kind of game in which your hopes on a productive day are diminished due to how engrossing the dark yet light world of Dark Souls turns out to be. Although it is very difficult each and every obstacle has a counter part to it which is up to the player to find. While other games use this scenario Dark Souls masters it. My amount of deaths in Dark Souls are more than myDark Souls is the kind of game in which your hopes on a productive day are diminished due to how engrossing the dark yet light world of Dark Souls turns out to be. Although it is very difficult each and every obstacle has a counter part to it which is up to the player to find. While other games use this scenario Dark Souls masters it. My amount of deaths in Dark Souls are more than my kills in Bf3 but that is what makes this game different. Death in Dark Souls is an element which sometimes yes sucks but killing that boss that killed you countless times is very rewarding. Making this RPG one of the best ever made the amazing combat and world design make Dark Souls excellent. Expand
  34. Jul 17, 2014
    This game is one of the few that actually have challenges these days. The last time I think I loved playing, and beat a game, like this was probably King's quest. I think this game deserves a lot more then 10 points. People give it a bad score because they probably suck at the game. You have to understand that this game is SUPER hard. Well if you don't understand that, go cry to someoneThis game is one of the few that actually have challenges these days. The last time I think I loved playing, and beat a game, like this was probably King's quest. I think this game deserves a lot more then 10 points. People give it a bad score because they probably suck at the game. You have to understand that this game is SUPER hard. Well if you don't understand that, go cry to someone who cares. I bought this 5 months before I actually beat the game. The bosses were really challenging, took more than 1 try to beat it. But what I don't understand is I got stuck on the easy bosses than the hard bosses. Like smough and orengstien, I beat them on my 3rd try, but the butterfly thing, I beat on my 15th try. Why that is? I don't know, but still these games are rare these days. That feeling you have after you work so hard on a boss then finally beat it, it is hard to say. Would I recommend this YES! It is the best game I have ever played. Expand
  35. Jul 16, 2014
    i think that dark souls is a good game. but im a noob gamer and i found dark souls to be incredibly hard and challenging and rewarding. the game looks good has a great combat system and has a large open world for you to explore. i dont think dark souls is a bad game it is just too damn hard for people like me who like easy games to blow through.
  36. Jun 27, 2014
    Dark Souls is a tense inch by inch death fest where the idea of self preservation becomes a fond memory of other games you have played. You play this game to die over and over and over and than you go to sleep haunted by how to get past the thing that is currently killing you. Leveling up and item upgrading have never felt so useless, as you just continue to die over and over and over.Dark Souls is a tense inch by inch death fest where the idea of self preservation becomes a fond memory of other games you have played. You play this game to die over and over and over and than you go to sleep haunted by how to get past the thing that is currently killing you. Leveling up and item upgrading have never felt so useless, as you just continue to die over and over and over.
    I can picture right now the thing I'm trying to get past and I haven't played the game in months. This type of game is not for me, I feel like half the time i'm fighting enemies, and the other half I'm fighting the camera and the controls.
    What they have is a slow moving, grainy looking, repeat every area a dozen times game that hides all of this by appealing to our inner desire to win at any cost. All this game has going for it is gameplay time and bragging rights, everything else is just there to kill you.

You don't enjoy playing this game, you take pleasure in beating it. You get there angry and frustrated and turn off the game exhausted and beaten down. Not how I like to leave a game, not a game I enjoyed.
  37. Jun 19, 2014
    Overall extremely overrated game.

The graphics are dated and not pretty whatsoever. Reminds me of EverQuest in 1999. There is virtually no story. The controls and camera are, frankly, awful. I put in 10 hours hoping I would get used to it but just can't. As an example, if you play a spell caster you need to click in the right thumbstick to target an enemy before you can cast. When
    Overall extremely overrated game.

The controls and camera are, frankly, awful. I put in 10 hours hoping I would get used to it but just can't. As an example, if you play a spell caster you need to click in the right thumbstick to target an enemy before you can cast. When you press the right stick it targets a random enemy (probably the closest, but it's hard to tell in a fray). This gives you very little control and is extremely prone to error which leads to frustrating deaths.

On top of this the game is full of poor design choices. For example if you're stuck on a boss prepare to make a 5-10 minute walk back every time you die. I want a game to challenge my skill not my patience.
  38. Jun 14, 2014
    When this game was made available to be downloaded for free with the 'Games with Gold' program on Xbox Live, I thought I'd go ahead and try it. (Available from June 1st, 2014 - June 16th, 2014) Believe me, it's not worth the 3.9 gigabytes it takes up on your hard drive. This game is the most repetitive, unforgiving piece of rubbish I've ever played in my life. Just compare it to The ElderWhen this game was made available to be downloaded for free with the 'Games with Gold' program on Xbox Live, I thought I'd go ahead and try it. (Available from June 1st, 2014 - June 16th, 2014) Believe me, it's not worth the 3.9 gigabytes it takes up on your hard drive. This game is the most repetitive, unforgiving piece of rubbish I've ever played in my life. Just compare it to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which was released about a month after this game came out. Does this game look like it was made in 2011, or 2006? You tell me... I know Skyrim looks like it was made in 2011 for sure. The graphics are mostly made up of dull grays, browns, and blacks, with a little puke green added into the mix. Low resolution images and screen tearing plague the game. The characters mouths don't even move when they speak. The voice acting is horrible too, sounding like the voices were recorded in a portable toilet. The controls are even worse... I found myself drinking potions and using items in the middle of combat because the control placement is so bad. Want to hear the real kicker?

Everytime you die, all of the enemies in the stage respawn!!!

Yes, I'm not kidding... Even if one of the small minion enemies kill you, the last 20 guys you just blew through are coming back. So basically it's a patience game... It tests to see how frustrated you get before you put your controller through a wall. Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge as much as the next guy. But Dark Souls takes it way too far... The checkpoints are placed miles apart from each other, causing you to be sent like ten to twenty minutes back when you die. So yeah, that aspect makes the game extremely repetitive... It just boils down to an half-baked RPG that could have been something interesting, but turned out to be a crock of ****

I beg you not to download this game... By not downloading or purchasing it, you'll save yourself a lot of grief and turmoil.
  39. Jun 12, 2014
    In short, this game is really, really bad. I can't believe that it was recommended to me and that people actually like it. For people that say it is "challenging" and terrific, you don't really have a clue about video games. This takes video games back to 1999, and not in a good way. I have beaten over 140 video games, so I'm not just trolling here. Why did I pick 1999? Well that isIn short, this game is really, really bad. I can't believe that it was recommended to me and that people actually like it. For people that say it is "challenging" and terrific, you don't really have a clue about video games. This takes video games back to 1999, and not in a good way. I have beaten over 140 video games, so I'm not just trolling here. Why did I pick 1999? Well that is the year that Drakan: Order of the Flame came out. And Dark Souls is basically that game, without even getting to fly amazing dragons. Drakan was INCREDIBLE...when it came out. The combat was epic at the time. Graphics were amazing. Pathetically, Dark Souls is just about where Drakan was then, and that was 15 years ago, but Dark Souls actually has WORSE combat, CLUNKY controls, and TERRIBLE camera. And you will miss enemies 1 foot from you because the weapons don't hit where they should. People are confusing "challenge" and piss poor gamemaking. Funny thing about Drakan, is that half way through, it gets really freaking hard as well. You have to count your arrows, roll like a maniac against giants, dodge and run and arrow giants, sometimes even backtrack half a mile to where u left your dragon just to pull a giant to it so you can mount up and take it down. Drakan was hard and you had to use your brain sometimes. Dark Souls is hard because the controls and graphics and camera suck. Glad it was free on Xbox Gold, waste of money otherwise, and I still don't recommend playing it. And it isn't even that hard once you compensate for the poor controls and aim boxes, but you shouldn't have to. Expand
  40. Jun 9, 2014
    Another overrated game! It is just hype. The game is well designed, but it lacks in history. There is no indication on what you must do (you just wake up and start walking around. There is no explanation; there is no motivation), and the difficult is unfair. You must stay hours doing repetitive things to gain levels and try to have a chance against a boss.

Unless you are a masochist

Unless you are a masochist (AKA "core") gamer, avoid this title. It's just waste of time, literally.
  41. Jun 8, 2014
    I too came to this game through Games With Gold, and was looking forward to how challenging it supposedly was.

I want challenging due to gameplay, not challenging because they don't show you even the most basic concepts of HOW to play. I didn't even make it 30 minutes in because my time is more valuable than throwing myself at a boss endlessly because I have no clue how to equip and use spells. Sorry. Questionable design decisions if you think players can just figure stuff out like that by screwing around in the menus hoping they click the right thing.
  42. Jun 7, 2014
    To say Dark Souls is challenging is an understatement. Dark Souls is about as challenging as video games get. It's that challenge that will drive you to play the game through to the end and it's what makes it so satisfying to complete each challenge. Dark Souls is only for the hardcore but they will get a lot out of it.

Alongside the challenge is an excellent combat system. It's fun and

Alongside the challenge is an excellent combat system. It's fun and hard to fight the enemies. It preforms flawlessly and works well with the RPG system. The bosses are some of the best not only of this generation but some of them will go down as the best bosses ever. They aren't your typical bosses, in fact many of them are completely unique. They are all hard as nails and so very satisfying to kill. If you're a hardcore gamer looking for a genuinely challenging experience look no further.
  43. Jun 5, 2014
    this game looks cool but you can't even save, can't even go back if you make a mistake, annoying. I don't understand why a video game wouldn't allow you to save.
  44. Jun 2, 2014
    I heard the hype and tried dark souls...I do not understand the hype. The world is well rendered, and the concept is good. However, the wheels fall off quickly. Repetition galore is what this game should be called. Enemies reappear in the same number, formation, etc. after you leave an area and immediately return. They follow the exact patterns of attack, and the game slips intoI heard the hype and tried dark souls...I do not understand the hype. The world is well rendered, and the concept is good. However, the wheels fall off quickly. Repetition galore is what this game should be called. Enemies reappear in the same number, formation, etc. after you leave an area and immediately return. They follow the exact patterns of attack, and the game slips into mindless lather, rinse, repeat. Combined with the insane difficulty, this game becomes boring quickly. I like a good challenging game - I just like a little variety. Killing the same enemies with the same attacks after they use the same moves over and over again is mind-numbing. Expand
  45. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is hard. Not just "hard" but "throw your controller through the screen" hard. It's a modern game for people that somehow enjoy Megaman and Castlevania games. Endless trial and error and enemy pattern memorization are the key to success. You start the game with no real personal back story, no primer as to what the hell is going on and not even really any instructions has to howThis game is hard. Not just "hard" but "throw your controller through the screen" hard. It's a modern game for people that somehow enjoy Megaman and Castlevania games. Endless trial and error and enemy pattern memorization are the key to success. You start the game with no real personal back story, no primer as to what the hell is going on and not even really any instructions has to how the entire game works. A few words scribbled on the floor are you basic control instructions and anything beyond that is left to the player to figure out. I don't like 2 hours tutorials that are tacked on to games, but I would like to have a basic rundown of how everything works.

As for the game mechanics themselves they're awful. There isn't much going on besides going from enemy to enemy dodging attacks and hoping that they somehow don't get in a cheap shot that usually kills you instantly. That's assuming you can even get any hits in at all. I can't describe much more as I didn't make it past the first enemy I came in contact with. I play all of my games on the hardest difficulty right out of the box and this is just too much.

I get it, make a punishing game in a market that stagnant with games that offer little challenge at all. I get that people want a game that pushes their skill, but this game just goes too far. I'm not sure how it gained critical media acclaim and the gaming news outlets should be ashamed that they overhyped a game of this calibur. I also don't understand the point of this game as playing video games is meant as an escape from reality. This game offers no real game world to get lost in, it's graphics are on par with games like Divinity II(terrible graphics) and with its immense difficulty curve it takes all immersion out of the game. If a person really wanted that much of a challenge outside of their real life, why not take up a hobby like trying to solve the Hodge Conjecture?

The happiest part of the experience is knowing that I got it for free no thanks to Games for Gold. I can only suggest that you read all the negative reviews if you're planning on playing the game, as the positive ones paint this game in a completely different and unrealistic light.
  46. May 28, 2014
    If you've ever looked at the back of the box for this game, you probably saw the headline: "PREPARE TO DIE!" This phrase will leave a lasting impression on your mind, because if you play Dark Souls, you will die again and again. Players will be thrust into a cold, unforgiving world where almost everything you encounter wants you dead. While the game may sound intimidating, it is not unfairIf you've ever looked at the back of the box for this game, you probably saw the headline: "PREPARE TO DIE!" This phrase will leave a lasting impression on your mind, because if you play Dark Souls, you will die again and again. Players will be thrust into a cold, unforgiving world where almost everything you encounter wants you dead. While the game may sound intimidating, it is not unfair to players. Every mistake you make is your own, and not the fault of the game. Dark Souls is not for those seeking a leisurely gaming atmosphere. It is a challenging one that will test your skills. Surpassing the obstacles set before you will give you a sense of accomplishment that many games seem to lack these days. Expand
  47. May 24, 2014
    One of my top five favorite games, 3 of which are Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II. Dark Souls is challenging, the combat is fun, and levelling and exploring the world is addictive. The game isn't for everyone, but once you get into it you will be sucked in. This is by far the most time I have spent playing a single player game, more than 300+ hours just levelling up, taking downOne of my top five favorite games, 3 of which are Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II. Dark Souls is challenging, the combat is fun, and levelling and exploring the world is addictive. The game isn't for everyone, but once you get into it you will be sucked in. This is by far the most time I have spent playing a single player game, more than 300+ hours just levelling up, taking down bosses, and having a blast. Expand
  48. Apr 21, 2014
    The only reason this game is hard at all is because hp is pretty much useless - you're going to die in 3 or less hits no matter what health you are. If they'd just be more forgiving in the game it'd be something i could enjoy, but instead what I get is a game that is far more frustrating than it is enjoyable. Call me crazy, but the reason I play games is to have fun. I suppose that'sThe only reason this game is hard at all is because hp is pretty much useless - you're going to die in 3 or less hits no matter what health you are. If they'd just be more forgiving in the game it'd be something i could enjoy, but instead what I get is a game that is far more frustrating than it is enjoyable. Call me crazy, but the reason I play games is to have fun. I suppose that's not the point of this game, because it certainly isn't that fun when you die and lose literally everything you accumulated (and if you used any consumable items, they've now gone to waste).

Basically the only reason this game has the hype that it has, is that they just made the default and only selectable game mode the "insane" difficulty option. It sucks because I feel there's actually a good game here waiting to be played, unfortunately I have neither the patience nor mad skills to experience it. They should have just had an "easy" mode or something for players that don't enjoy playing the same section of a level 50+ times just to get that "perfect" run where you play absolutely perfectly and don't die.

Hardly anything in the game is explained either, so unless you google things, you will never know what half the stats or terms in this game mean. Even with the in-game tooltips, it doesn't explain anything.

On top of that, the game itself has some serious flaws. First off, you can't change the control scheme, which is completely unacceptable, first on the principal of it all, but furthermore for the fact that the default scheme makes zero sense and half the time you make a mistake it's because of the AWFUL control scheme. None of it is intuitive.

The lock on mechanism is completely broken too, it never locks on to who you need it to, and you can't just cycle through enemies, you have to unlock on, then relock on and hope the game magically chooses the correct. All the while this is happing, you are getting peppered with fire bombs, the camera is swinging around in all manner of horrible directions, and your block direction will be compromised and you will probably get hit, which will take half your **** hp away.

All in all it's a gimicky game that should be thankful as hell that it's hype train went "viral" and allowed a pretty mediocre broken game to sell tons of copies, and gather rave reviews that it absolutely does NOT deserve.

Avoid this game unless you are a hardcore gamer that loves playing games on insane difficulty from the get-go.
  49. Apr 5, 2014
    A masterpiece of game, world and monster design, Dark Souls is an underrated gem of substantial quality. The game took me over a hundred hours to complete and I didn't even get a chance to complete everything the game has to offer. It boasts a Gothic world filled with creepy enemies, mysterious dungeons and brilliant boss fights. Dark Souls has a few glitches here and there and the Bed ofA masterpiece of game, world and monster design, Dark Souls is an underrated gem of substantial quality. The game took me over a hundred hours to complete and I didn't even get a chance to complete everything the game has to offer. It boasts a Gothic world filled with creepy enemies, mysterious dungeons and brilliant boss fights. Dark Souls has a few glitches here and there and the Bed of Chaos boss fight could have been better, but the good outweighs the bad so much that the game's flaws come off as minor. This is a dark and challenging game made with a burning love for role-playing games. Expand
  50. Apr 5, 2014
    Now I will speak plainly about this game, and I won't go into excruciating detail. This is not for everyone. Hell, its not even for me. I enjoy a challenge, but this game gives you that strong sense of dread and the impossibility of the level. The game constantly tries to test your limits to the max, and I applaud the developers for that. However, this game has an acquired taste to it. TheNow I will speak plainly about this game, and I won't go into excruciating detail. This is not for everyone. Hell, its not even for me. I enjoy a challenge, but this game gives you that strong sense of dread and the impossibility of the level. The game constantly tries to test your limits to the max, and I applaud the developers for that. However, this game has an acquired taste to it. The graphics and art direction of this game is amazing, but it's just not for me. This game doesn't make the attempt to appeal to everybody, which I applaud. If you like excruciating difficulty and a interesting experience, play Dark Souls. If you want to shoot up 12 year old kids and call them campers, play COD. Expand
  51. Mar 30, 2014
    Gamers who disregard this game too quickly should stick with Pokemon. Patience is rewarded with joy and sloppiness death at every turn. Controls take a bit to get used to (didn't even know I could parry until almost the end of the first run (duh, I know)) but once you lock down the concept of stamina and the cost of your actions the control you have is simple and simply amazing. FewGamers who disregard this game too quickly should stick with Pokemon. Patience is rewarded with joy and sloppiness death at every turn. Controls take a bit to get used to (didn't even know I could parry until almost the end of the first run (duh, I know)) but once you lock down the concept of stamina and the cost of your actions the control you have is simple and simply amazing. Few games, if given a chance, will provide you the raw emotions this game does both bad and good. Go borrow money and buy it... Expand
  52. Mar 17, 2014
    This is a game sheer will power. Wonderful mechanics and hard as hell situations. The graphics are sub-par but the game play more than makes up for it. I die over and over... and just when I walk away in disgust and lay down for bed it hits me.... I need to do this and then that THEN THIS! Jump up, grab a drink, die a few more times and then VICTORY! The boss goes DOWN. Its now 4 AMThis is a game sheer will power. Wonderful mechanics and hard as hell situations. The graphics are sub-par but the game play more than makes up for it. I die over and over... and just when I walk away in disgust and lay down for bed it hits me.... I need to do this and then that THEN THIS! Jump up, grab a drink, die a few more times and then VICTORY! The boss goes DOWN. Its now 4 AM and I need to be up in an hour...

Yes its that addictive. But if you do not have patience this is not the game for you. Great voice acting and incredible to play. Would love improved graphics, but game play always trumps graphics.
  53. Mar 16, 2014
    The reason people mark this game down are as follows
    The reason people mark this game down are as follows
    story and controls... Ill give you controls for a newbie the controls they some getting used too. But the story is here and its pretty damn good... Each zone has a hidden narritive that you would never see if you don't take your time and explore and you know READ, Each zone has far stretching lore each zone feels balanced (except maybe the ridiculous close bonfires in tomb of the giants)

The graphics are fine and do the job, The gameplay is fun and addicting..
  54. Mar 12, 2014
    - I picked up DS when I was a "freshman" at Okanagan College in my home town. The year was 2011. At that point in time I underwent a personal revolution, and because of my education, my worldview, critical thinking abilities, and creative and interpersonal skills all changed for the better. This game will forever be tied into that vital and enlightening time, and represents to me a part of- I picked up DS when I was a "freshman" at Okanagan College in my home town. The year was 2011. At that point in time I underwent a personal revolution, and because of my education, my worldview, critical thinking abilities, and creative and interpersonal skills all changed for the better. This game will forever be tied into that vital and enlightening time, and represents to me a part of the universe that strives to be all that it can be.

-Over the past few years, I've struggled with alcoholism and substance abuse. My Dad's genetic code has locked within it a predisposition to addiction-- evidenced by the death of my Uncles. DS was and still is an escape away from the chaos of my life and the second law of Thermodynamics. I'd say that I've played the game for at least 500-600 hours, if not more. That fact in itself speaks volumes about the game's production values, replay values and overall design ingenuity.

- There's a few disgruntled individuals who still think that video games are not art. The critical and logical fallaciousness contained within said belief is pretty unfortunate. I'm a musician, and I write songs-- someday, I hope my music will reach others and colour their worlds as it colours mine. Dark Souls is absolutely beautiful, and represents the palate of emotions we feel and the dilemmas we face every day of our lives. Fear, wonder, determination, surprise, discouragement, joy, light vs. dark, moral ambiguity, survival of the fittest, superstition, betrayal, camaraderie etc. DS has it all.

-Philosophy is one of the most important areas of study in existence (trumped maybe only by science and the scientific method). Nietzsche famously said that if you stare long enough into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. In Dark Souls, there's almost a feeling like the game world itself is communicating with you, trying to tell you something, and this only grows stronger as your knowledge and playtime increases. There's a deep philosophical message implanted in the game, and players filter it differently through their respective lenses. At its core though, I think Dark Souls wants you to become an Existentialist Hero-- an individual who confronts the absurdity of existence and the certainty of death... and emerges victorious.
  55. Mar 9, 2014
    Fantastic game that only has a few flaws. First the good news. The combat is great and challenging. The environments are beautiful and the enemies are varied. That said prepare to die a lot. Is the game impossibly challenging? no, but when just starting out the controls can be hard to get used to. I would say don't judge the game based on the first two hours, keep at it and you willFantastic game that only has a few flaws. First the good news. The combat is great and challenging. The environments are beautiful and the enemies are varied. That said prepare to die a lot. Is the game impossibly challenging? no, but when just starting out the controls can be hard to get used to. I would say don't judge the game based on the first two hours, keep at it and you will discover an amazing game. After the first few initial levels the game opens up and while challenging becomes a great adventure. The only issue i would have with the game is that the story is lacking. While the story is there its very basic and it would be great if there was more to it. The story sounds very interesting and yet the finer details are not really fleshed out as you go along. However, the gameplay makes up for this and ultimately this is one of the best games i have played in a long time. I could not put it down once i was able to begin to get a small grasp of the mechanics. Learning how to play this game is a challenge but over time you will learn how to approach certain enemies and defeat them. Is this game punishing at times with checkpoints yes, but the game is ultimately very rewarding. There will probably be moments of frustration while playing this game, I had plenty of them. I could not beat one boss until my tenth try. Still these moments will pass and will not ruin what is an amazing game. My advice to new players is to not be discouraged at the beginning. The game truly does get better. I have just finished my first playthrough and i cannot wait to dive into a second adventure. Expand
  56. Mar 9, 2014
    So, Being a long time fan of playing rpgs, this really caught my eye, i couldn't believe so many people were claiming how good this game was, but these reviews coupled with claims of difficulty at the same time! I decided to give it a try, as usually not cranking game difficulty up very often, i really wanted to test myself!
    The game starts Quite slow, but i managed to persevere into
    The game starts Quite slow, but i managed to persevere into finally finishing the game. Yes there are moments when you may be put off continuing, but the feeling of triumph when you finally do beat a boss (Im looking at Ornstein and smough, after 20+ attempts!) is unbeatable, and is more satisfying than any game i have ever played. Only after a good number of hours played will you realise what a true masterpiece this game is. It is not only the difficulty that makes it good, the storyline, although minimalistic is broad and epic, and the game can be graphically brilliant at times too!
    Dont listen to the naysayers, give this a try and see for yourself, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised!
  57. Feb 26, 2014
    Honestly? I'm open minded about any game I play. I actually LIKED Demon's Souls. But this? God, what a boring game. People praise the difficulty, but honestly, the game isn't super difficult- just cheap. The battles (including bosses) aren't hard; it's just a clunky combat system. And once you have that system down, it's not difficult; just boring. Very, very tedious. The cheapness comesHonestly? I'm open minded about any game I play. I actually LIKED Demon's Souls. But this? God, what a boring game. People praise the difficulty, but honestly, the game isn't super difficult- just cheap. The battles (including bosses) aren't hard; it's just a clunky combat system. And once you have that system down, it's not difficult; just boring. Very, very tedious. The cheapness comes from the fact that the game just decides to inst-kill you with no way of you knowing it would ever happen besides trial-and-error and have already died there before. This wouldn't be a problem if this game didn't make you replay sometimes MASSIVE amounts of an area to get back to the spot you died to recover your souls. Again, with it's constant repeating, it just gets insurmountably boring. From a gameplay and level-design standpoint, this game wouldn't have surprised me if it came out on the N64. It tries to be challenging and rewarding, but ultimately ends up being boring and cheap. I never got a single minute of fun out of this game. Expand
  58. Feb 25, 2014
    One of the most challenging, creative, and rewarding games I've ever played. Also, some of the most hilarious negative reviews I've ever read. Let us have a moment of silence for the controllers broken to bits in the many moments of defeat/despair these poor souls endured before rage quitting... lol
  59. Feb 10, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game. Make no mistake. It is frustratingly hard and sometimes the grinding for souls gets a bit boring, but the satisfaction of beating the bosses and even the mini-bosses is well worth it.

It is weird that the selection of character doesn't really make a huge deal as you can play however you wish regardless of what class. In a nutshell..... very hard and

In a nutshell..... very hard and frustrating, but worthwhile.
  60. Feb 8, 2014
    What can I say about Dark Souls? It's ruthless, terrifying, and very immasculating...but it's addicting and great!

Dark Souls is infamous for being known as one of the hardest games ever, which could be true, but we're so used to playing easier games with no real strategy like Call of Duty. Difficulty wise, Dark Souls does require skill, which can grow as you play the game, but you have to play smarter and more carefully if you want to make it far.

Visually, Dark Souls is gorgeous-I don't think I have ever seen a game with more beautiful level designs and originality. The graphics are also fairly top notch, aside from a few framerate issues and the occasional drunken camera.

The gameplay is one-of-a-kind. It's a different feel of combat when compared to other more popular games, and that's a good thing. To achieve maximum combat potential, you have to be patient and smart, because going head-in and "balls-deep", for the most part, won't get the job done.

Dark Souls is a much needed breath of fresh air in the world of gaming. Amazing visuals, dynamic gameplay...but the real reason to play is the excitement of defeating the many bosses. Each boss, aside from the beginning few, is very challenging-so much that you could die many times in attempting to finish. You might kick, scream, swear, and rage, but when you finally recieve the victory you have so longed for, the feeling is priceless. That is the main driving motivation in Dark Souls.

Only a few bugs and maybe the rare repitition hold Dark Souls from getting the oh-so-coveted 10, but the game is extremely entertaining and shouldn't be missed.

I give Dark Souls a solid 9 out of 10.
  61. Feb 5, 2014
    So most people who gave this game a low score seem to hate it because the game is too hard. To them I have nothing to say. If they like easy games that hand-hold you and treat you like you are an incompetent idiot, well... good for them, but that is really just a personal preference and is not a real argument about the quality of the game.

However there are those who try to mask their

However there are those who try to mask their hatred for the game with a valid argument, but their arguments are valid only if they are saying truth. So for those of you who say the game has bad control mechanics, I wonder if you have actually played the game or are you just plain trolling?

The mechanics are superb and controls are very responsive, but everything depends on your equipment. So if you wear heavy armor and wear a heavy axe of course you will move slow and attack animations may look sluggish, but that does not mean the control mechanics are bad. It just means, you should perhaps choose lighter equipment. This amount of attention to detail can only be found in Dark Souls and it actually shows just how deep the game really is. Everything matters and you can fight however you want - with almost limitless options. Upgrading weapons also helps, so do not blame the game for your own failures.

For those of you who say the game is repetative and boring, again I wonder where does such dezinformation come from? Every enemy can be killed in dozen of different ways and you can manage even the most difficult fights with a bit of brain and pretty basic movement.

The story is subtle, it doesnt scream at you and it doesnt hand hold you. You have to figure out things yourself, but that does not mean the story is bad or lacking.

The lack of pause and consolized inventory is probably the only valid argument as to why this game should not get a 10/10, but that is really just nitpicking in the end.
  62. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Get this game now if you haven’t played it. Give this game a second try if you raged quit the first time!!!
    (English is not my native language, apologize beforehand)
    The best game I played on xbox360 and my first souls game!! Dark souls is not hard, it is just different. It has a learning-curve, and other games just don’t. I used to hate this game before actually played it, because 1: I am not a huge fan of cold weapon RPGs, I play online FPS heavily. 2: the game has a reputation of being difficult, and I play games mainly for fun not for stupid, ridiculous, hard difficulties, and secretly I was afraid that I won’t beat the game. 3. People bragged about it like "this game is for hardcore gamers only", somehow I find it offensive and arrogant. 4. I have two friends played it but gave up, I didnt ask why but it gave me the feeling that I should stay away from this game. Then two months ago, another friend highly recommended this game to me. And before I decided to buy the game I checked one 30 minutes walkthrough video on YouTube. The player didn’t die at all in that clip, so I was thinking this game really was not that hard if you just played with cautions. So I brought the game before Xmas and used the two and half weeks holiday (140 hours, farming a lot) to “complete” the game (1000/1000).

I used at least two hours to know the basic controls including jump-attack, kick, run-jump. And the first 20 hours, I only managed to backstab 10% of the enemies, though I tried to backstab almost all the time. Never bother to parry in my first playthrough until I stuck at gwyn fight. So I am just a below average player. However, I “beat” almost all the bosses except dlc ones and gwyn on 2 or 3 tries in my first playthrough by summoning help. And finish the playthrough without trouble at all. And I am telling you again, I am not good!!! This game doesn’t have to be that hard like people claimed, e.g. if you checked guide beforehand. It may diminish that accomplish feeling (a lot) compared to dead at one boss for 30 times and finally beat it or spending two hours at wrong place until you found the right path. But you can surely beat the game in a non-hardcore gamer style. And at least for me, still felt quite satisfying after beat a boss at 1st try. So, compared to just give up and badmouth the game, I recommend checking the guide.

Then on NG+, I decided to solo all the bosses. I died a lot but I was just enjoying it. Geez, I died 30+ times on soloing Smough&Orstine until I gave up and summoned Solaire (he changed everything). I was pissed and raged. But I cherish dark souls that even you’ve beaten it once, the game can still challenge you as hell. Now I have 300+ hours in this game (mainly white phantom), it made me quit BF4 and other games. And the only other game I want to play now is dark souls 2. This time I will definitely play it blind.

What I like in dark souls:
    1. Combat. Well-done, neat, and responsive.
    2. Level design. Breathtaking, creative and unique.
    3. Boss fight. Epic, challenging and exciting.
    4. Lore. Simply the best, IMO.
    5. Enemies. Terrifying, huge variations and sometimes funny AI.
    6. RPG element. Builds. Weapons. Armors. So many things.
    7. Online. Co-op mainly. I might have a 0.1 w/l ratio in PVP…
    8. No loading during normal gameplay. (Slightly frame drop in two places, I guess due to in-game loading)

Dark souls is simply the best game I played in recent years. Try it, don’t give up.
  63. Jan 23, 2014
    I have never played such a robust and addicting game. Everything from the armor down to the different weapon effects are brilliant. The atmosphere is dark and gloomy. It took me close to four hours to beat Ornstein/Smough, this is one of the hardest and fairest games. I am buying a PS3 just so I can play Demon Souls.
  64. Jan 18, 2014
    I play this game for a year and a half,and this game is amazing and hard,its is my favorite game of all time,I played Demon Souls and it was harder.The combat is great,i like the graphics,Coop is great,multiplayer is good,there is lots of over level guys who kills you instantly when you're low level.I wish it could have more dlcs in this one,but Demon Souls does not have a dlc.The bossesI play this game for a year and a half,and this game is amazing and hard,its is my favorite game of all time,I played Demon Souls and it was harder.The combat is great,i like the graphics,Coop is great,multiplayer is good,there is lots of over level guys who kills you instantly when you're low level.I wish it could have more dlcs in this one,but Demon Souls does not have a dlc.The bosses is hard and easy if you don't rush,this game is a little bit better then Demon Souls.I can't wait for Dark Souls 2. Expand
  65. Jan 13, 2014
    Dark souls is my favorite game of all time. No other game comes close, period! Demons souls was really really awesome, but Dark souls is just amazing!
  66. Jan 7, 2014
    TL;DR I think Dark Souls is a great game, with a great setting, story and characters, it can be very rewarding, and has great character and combat systems that will keep you coming back, but can and will punish you if you do something dumb. All that said, it certainly isn't for everyone.

I went from thinking "I might try Dark Souls, it looks like it might be good" to "I absolutely love this game" in under a day. Granted, I was about 2 years late to the party, but that hasn't spoiled my enjoyment of it.

First off, I will say that Dark Souls is nowhere near as difficult as its reputation would have you believe... as long as you go in with the right attitude, some patience and a degree of skill. Charge into a group of enemies swinging your sword like a lunatic, and the game will punish you, but lure the enemies away from the group, and take them on one at a time, and you'll (hopefully) succeed. The way to play Dark Souls is carefully, with tactics and through trial and error.

The game will not hold your hand. It will not tell you exactly where to go. It will punish you for doing something dumb. A prime example is something I have done, myself, seen friends do and seen in gameplay videos... fighting the first Black Knight. If you try and take on the Black Knight, at a low level, without only an hour or so of experience, you will probably die. I learned that lesson the hard way, and didn't try again until I was a higher level, and had better weapons and armour.

I've played very few games that give you such a sense of adrenaline while fighting a boss, and such a feeling of victory upon defeating them. Each time I've faced a boss that I have no escape from, no choice but to fight up close and personal, I've felt my heart rate rocket and my breathing become shallow and fast. This happens with most of the bosses I've faced, and its the greatest thrill I have ever got from playing a game. But even better than the thrill is the moment that you conquer a boss (or maybe some other enemy) who has been giving you a lot of grief. Depending on the intensity of the fight, my reactions have either been a loud yeah" or sitting for a few minutes, breathing deeply, shaking a little.

I've seen and heard many people talk about the story... no, it isn't given to you on a plate; you have to work for it. If you want to know about the world of Dark Souls, start exploring, reading item descriptions and talking to NPCs, or look online if you're stuck. If you don't care for the story, it can practically be ignored, as long as you remember what your goal is, because it won't be written down anywhere. That is something that they could have done differently, but its adds to the-- actually, forgetting where you're at is a real pain, and I won't try and defend that part. The depth of the story and the setting is incredible, and leaves many things to the imagination of the player.

In terms of gameplay, I find the combat to be a good, solid system, and only the more advanced elements take an above average degree of getting used to. Weapons often have unique features, and there is no "best weapon" in the conventional way; how useful a weapon is, and if it is "better" than another weapon is almost always personal taste. And seeing as most weapons have a unique moveset, you can change up your style by just changing your weapon.

Finally, Dark Souls is the only game that makes me want to playing it in 10 different ways, on simultaneous playthroughs. There is so much room for customisation and experimentation, that you may find yourself starting several new games before you've even finished your first go, and if you want more, you could try challenges, find one online ore make up your own.

But even though I love it, I know Dark Souls isn't for everyone. Having read a few reviews, I disagree with some that say that Dark Souls is horrible, and there are some where the reviewer has clearly misunderstood (or failed to understand) a core element of the game, and that's fine, its just a difference of opinion.
  67. Dec 29, 2013
    Just a masterpiece. Deep combat, that isn't about memorizing long combos, rewarding exploration. A world that is slowly revealed to you. No reliance on gimmicky gameplay and long cutscenes. A gamer's game.
  68. Dec 23, 2013
    Though game play is reach and interesting, difficulty is what really killing this game. By difficulty I mean not difficult enemies they are great. Unfortunately really a lot of dump repetitive actions involved in the gameplay. You die really often and respawn really far from that point. I wish they have save and load option, allowing to save at any point.
  69. Dec 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is single handily one of the best games I have ever played. Any one that says that this game is bad, probably didn't get passed the first or second boss and are butt hurt. DS as excellent graphics, solid controls, and a deep, engrossing story. Few games I have seen can compare to this game.

When you firs enter the game, you are given a short tutorial and then you are left to figure everything else out. This kind of confidence in the player is a breath of fresh air. Most games today "cough"Skyrim"Cough", tend to hold your hand like a mother holds her child's. If that bothers you, like it does me, then this game is for you. You are taught how to play, pointed in a direction, and then its all up to you. Very few games now days do this. The only other game that does this, that I can think of, is Dragon's Dogma. In that game too, you are given basic information, and then you go off on a grand adventure.

Speaking of a grand adventure, this game is as good as it gets. You start off, for unknown reasons, in a prison cell, and are helped out by a mysterious stranger. After making it out of your cell the tutorial begins in the form of messages on the grounds. As you learn each of these life saving skills, you are given a few scrubs to practice on These early enemies aren't too tough, but its best to still be careful. That is something that you need to learn early off, everything in this game can kill you quickly.After you get through the "starter Dungeon", you will face your first boss. Its not that tough and should be easy enough to beat as long as you take your time and stay behind it. After you are finished with him/her( not sure what it is) you are on your own. All you have is the equipment, the skills you learned, and a mystery to keep you going.

As you are released into the world, you will notice how beautiful it is. The graphics in this game are amazing, and only get better in the later stages. Enemies are all unique looking and, in a word, terrifying. That is another thing about this game that may turn some off: the oppressive, grim nature of the world. Do not think that you will be going into Skyrim's inviting world. Dark Souls takes place in a literal "Hell on Earth." Nearly everything, and everyone, will try to end your life. From the plants, to the animals, to the former inhabitants that went insane. Only a few are friendly, and even thy may end up falling to your blade sooner or later.

But don't let the deadly world scare you off. You will be able to craft your character into a fighting machine that only the strongest can stand up too. This will be accomplished by putting points into various skills( you can choose between several different classes, that each have different starting stats), and also you can craft and upgrade arms and amour. Also, the controls are so tight and responsive, that you will have no problem battling in this nightmare. The thing is though, don't go into certain areas until you are certain that you will be able to handle it, or you will die quickly.

The problem with this game is the online play. Its kind of hard to get into a game with other players, and its nearly impossible if they are on your friends list. I have spent hours trying to get into one my friends games, only to fell every time. Its not as hard to invade other though( as long as you are just invading random players). This can be a fun and challenging activity for both new and veteran players. One problem though, don't count on all players to be honorable. A good deal will try to kill you right out the gate, while others will bow first.

Well, I hope that I have helped to sway you to at least try Dark Souls. Its a fun and challenging game, that looks as good as it plays.
  70. Dec 6, 2013
    It's not a tough game just very very poorly executed. The following; no pause function whatsoever, majority of boss fights rely on pure luck to overcome, soul/recovery system is deeply broken, 'pvp' involves very advanced levels killing low levels attempting to overcome game content, the lowest of enemies is always able to fully kill you and remove all your hours of 'work', it feels likeIt's not a tough game just very very poorly executed. The following; no pause function whatsoever, majority of boss fights rely on pure luck to overcome, soul/recovery system is deeply broken, 'pvp' involves very advanced levels killing low levels attempting to overcome game content, the lowest of enemies is always able to fully kill you and remove all your hours of 'work', it feels like 'work', the distance between 'bonfire' checkpoints and excessively glitchy/poorly designed bosses is erratic, no story to speak of for the first 10 hours, dull slash-block-slash methods, casters/mage etc can't function below 15+ hours, environment hinders player while enemies slash through solid walls, enemies have friendly fire turned on and are unable to harm each other at all. I could go on but I'm aging here.
    I came up in the MegaDrive era, and all the folks here saying it's old school tough are sadly mistaken, it's simply very poorly put together, with very little 'challenge' worked in. The developers have simply found the games mechanical flaws and refined them, that does not really present the paying public with a progressive experience. I really disagree with it being a marmite type game, love it or hate it, I loved the idea, but the execution is frankly unforgiveably poor.
  71. Nov 24, 2013
    Definitely mixed with my review on this. I want to simplify this without going into a novel.

Combat is slow in this game. I understand this a game where you have to learn from your mistakes, so i'm not going to rip on the difficulty of this game, infact that's why people love this game so much. The story is a good one that'll keep you wanting more, but to me the game just lacks.

I think the reason its not for me is because I'm an adult with several responsibilities and a full time job along with a Girlfriend I love to spend time with.

I'm more of a casual gamer so to say. This is my opinion.
    If you're a casual gamer that loves to play for the fun of games then I wouldn't play it if I were you.

Now if you're somebody who feels like they need to feel like they accomplished something in life then this game will make you feel so after you rise up to the top of this challenging foe.

However real life itself to me is very challenging/frustrating where I learn from my own mistakes and feel accomplished when I complete something impeccable, so I don't need Dark souls to give me that sense of accomplishment.

Definitely a perfect game if you're an expert gamer who devotes most of their life to games. In fact for hardcore gamers I would give it a 10 but for someone like me it gets a 5.

I just didn't have the time and patience to play something this challenging with real life knocking at my door. Perhaps if I had a good paying part time job and didn't have to pay bills along with other responsibilities I would love this game.
  72. Nov 20, 2013
    I played this game a year after Skyrim came out and i can say that dark souls sure gives skyrim a run for its money. Skyrim is still my favorite RPG of all time but Dark souls is a very close second. It has a very mysterious allure that just begs to be explored. The fluid movement and combat feel very realistic, and the swing of a sword has the "umpf!" that really lets you feel likeI played this game a year after Skyrim came out and i can say that dark souls sure gives skyrim a run for its money. Skyrim is still my favorite RPG of all time but Dark souls is a very close second. It has a very mysterious allure that just begs to be explored. The fluid movement and combat feel very realistic, and the swing of a sword has the "umpf!" that really lets you feel like there's power in your attack. The pvp is also very intense but its ruined by hackers and cheaters (so best to wait for Dark souls 2 to play online). The punishing difficulty may be intimidating but the reward of overcoming a a very hard enemy is like no other. If you are weak at heart don't play this game, but if you're looking for a genuine challenge that rewards you for perseverance then buy this bad boy and prepare for hell. Expand
  73. Nov 5, 2013
    This Game has taken 300+ hours of my life and i regret nothing. A challenging game with great music, visuals, and gameplay, a Must buy from a $20 dollar bin at Walmart. The frame rate gets really bad at the beggining of some stages but other wise my Favorite game of all time.
  74. Oct 21, 2013
    One of, if not the single best RPG released in recent years. This game is designed to be difficult, but it's not as difficult as some users may make it out to be. While it definitely IS difficult, the game rewards you for trying, learning and fighting your way through the massive world of Lordran, fighting your way through the slums of the Undead Asylum, all the way to the PrimordialOne of, if not the single best RPG released in recent years. This game is designed to be difficult, but it's not as difficult as some users may make it out to be. While it definitely IS difficult, the game rewards you for trying, learning and fighting your way through the massive world of Lordran, fighting your way through the slums of the Undead Asylum, all the way to the Primordial Flame, surrounded by a massive kingdom burnt to ash. On top of the amazing world and fantastically deep lore, the game features some of the finest combat to ever be featured in any RPG, with weapons and armor that can be customized to your play style, allowing you to be a swift thief one moment, stabbing your enemies in the back, to a bulking tank of a knight, crushing your opponents with massive weapons made of steel, dragons teeth or even a basic club. It also features some of the most rewarding and finely tuned Player Versus Player combat to ever be featured in a videogame, allowing you to invade the worlds of other players, or be summoned to assist friends and strangers alike in the deadly world of Lordran. Any way you look at it, this is the perfect RPG, and would be a daunting pass to surpass.

Prepare to die...
  75. Oct 11, 2013
    I bought this game under the impression that it was an open-end world-- and technically that may be true. Go left for instant death, go right and die in 5 seconds, or go straight ahead and take a few hours memorizing the bosses moves so you can kill him in the best AI exploiting method you can uncover.

No character customization, no real plot, just a string of progressively harder boss fights with a mediocre combat system. However I did give this a 4 because when you DO beat that boss you feel that you really did accomplish something which is where the majority of the fan-base is coming from. If you enjoy punishing yourself, this is the game for you.
  76. Sep 19, 2013
    A breath of fresh air for the “non-casual” gamer.
    Nowadays most game developers' target audience is the “casual gamer”.
    A breath of fresh air for the “non-casual” gamer.
    Nowadays most game developers' target audience is the “casual gamer”.
    The casual gamer is like a normal human being, except incredibly stupid. The casual gamer has the patience and mental capacity of a four-year-old. When presented with a choice, such as two possible paths, and not provided blatant evidence implying the consequences of each path in advance, the casual gamer will panic. They will begin to foaming at the mouth, shaking violently, and sobbing. If the casual gamer encounters a challenge and fails, they do not learn from their failure. They will continue trying to employ the same strategy, and failing, until they grow old and die, because the casual gamer lacks the basic human facilities to recognize signals and patterns that are necessary for human beings to exist and function in the world.
    Souls games are not made for the casual gamer. If you're sick and tired of excessive hand holding, objective markers, shallow can't-go-wrong builds, constant cinematics, linearity, typical multiplayer mechanics, and general lack of difficulty, look no further. This is a game made for gamers who can learn from their mistakes and enjoy a challenge. It's also one of the most innovative and unique games ever conceived. It's developers like From Software that keep gaming alive for those of us with brains.
    Dark Souls takes what Demon's Souls did right and refines it beautifully while making some major changes that really improve the quality of the game. The open world is fascinating, beautiful, and fun to explore. There are a lot less “cheap tricks” in the levels while still maintaining relatively the same degree of difficulty. In general, I found that the levels were a little easier (mostly due to the lack of the aforementioned “cheap-tricks” like sudden hard-to-spot death pits and balancing on tiny ledges) while the bosses were a lot harder. The improved healing system eliminates a lot of boring grinding/farming and makes PvP much more competitive. Dark Souls expands on the innovation of Demon's Souls, providing new interesting ways to interact with other players and NPCs. I also found the story a little more engrossing. The mechanics are deeper, the builds are more varied, there are more spells/miracles, and more NPCs.
    This is the game of the decade.
    My only complaint is that when leveling up, I preferred the maiden in black whispering about touching the demon inside her with a sexy accent to bonfires.
  77. Sep 17, 2013
    Dark Souls makes me want to break my controller and scream every time I play it I love it. Wasn't sure at first while getting used to the controls. Its great because its really challenging right away you can't just breeze through levels without effort. Definitely a game you can put lots of time into.
  78. Sep 9, 2013
    Dark Souls is hands down, the single best game I have played in my entire life. Now, I know that is a HUGE claim, but I can say it without hesitation. I am 26 years old... I've played games since I was 3. Yes, I have played all the greats that Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft have thrown out there over the past few decades, but in mu humble opinion... nothing compares to my experienceDark Souls is hands down, the single best game I have played in my entire life. Now, I know that is a HUGE claim, but I can say it without hesitation. I am 26 years old... I've played games since I was 3. Yes, I have played all the greats that Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft have thrown out there over the past few decades, but in mu humble opinion... nothing compares to my experience with this masterpiece of a game.

Where to start... The game is flaunted as this bastion of the hard-core gamer. It's super difficult and only a masochist sitting in a dark room on a bed of nails could handle it. Yes, the game IS difficult, unforgiving, and doesn't give you much direction or advice... but that is the BEAUTY baby! You are left to figure things out on your own, find and blaze your own path, and take a few bruises along the way. A game should be an experience, and Dark Souls is just that. And unlike any other RPG I've come across, skill is more rewarded than time spent playing (although time spent playing DOES affect skill). Allow me to explain; on my first play through, I played for about 90 hours before I finished the game. On the second character I created, it took me about 50 hours, and my third took me about 20. I was achieving the same level or higher that I reached on my first play through, discovering MORE about the game than my previous play through, and STILL finishing faster... MUCH faster. Now, I can get to level 70 in five hours or less, I can beat the game in less than 2 hours, and I can beat the game as a level 1 character. This is the only game I can think of that has allowed me to progress in this way. Usually I am forced to do a bunch of crap to level up enough to advance through a particular section. Dark Souls removes the MANDATORY leveling and replaces it with SUPPLEMENTAL leveling. Leveling WILL make the game easier for you, but it is not a necessity. This is where most players who hate this game fail. They run into a challenge, and instead of changing tactics, they think they need to level up, so they grind... and grind... and grind. You have now turned the game into a chore. Blocking attacks and hitting between blocks not working? Try rolling. Getting whooped up close? Try ranged. Mix it up and you will succeed. You can play this game any way you want, and it is possible to succeed in every situation. The combat mechanics allow you to take advantage of your opponent's openings with precision, and you develop that precision through time and death. You develop as a player over time and death, and the development is extremely rewarding and obvious. You'll discover new tactics that you never knew about, constantly come across a new play style, and discover new things about the game for hours and hours and hours. I am at over 1500 hours between my PC and xbox versions of this game, and there are STILL things I learn. The multiplayer is extremely organic and fluid. The fact that putting yourself in a position to get help from another player also opens you up to being invaded... genius. There is always a dark side to every seemingly good event, and it's only a matter of time before you discover it. IMPORTANT NOTE: This game is NOT for the feint of heart. If you are easily frustrated, impatient, or not keen on the idea of having to discover everything about the game on your own (not like Elder Scrolls "Hey, I've never been to that area on the map before, let me check it out" but like, discovery in EVERY aspect: combat, weapons, enemy abilities, the world, the lore, etc.), then STAY AWAY. I'm serious! I'm not trying to put down anyone that is like that, I'm just warning you that you will not like the game. You will most likely quit after the first few hours (if that). I can talk about Dark Souls for hours, but I'll spare you the pain. I hope you enjoy it!
  79. Sep 5, 2013
    I went into this game with high hopes, just to have all of those hopes smacked down to the ground. I have heard multiple people praise it as if it were the holy grail of gaming, but I call BULL CRAP. First off, the story makes absolutely NO SENSE. Secondly, the tutorial doesn't explain nearly enough for the player to do an adequate job at anything in the game, it pretty much dooms you toI went into this game with high hopes, just to have all of those hopes smacked down to the ground. I have heard multiple people praise it as if it were the holy grail of gaming, but I call BULL CRAP. First off, the story makes absolutely NO SENSE. Secondly, the tutorial doesn't explain nearly enough for the player to do an adequate job at anything in the game, it pretty much dooms you to failure for the unfair difficulty. Yes, I said UNFAIR. Now, I'm not saying difficulty in a game is bad. In fact, a game without difficulty is the only thing i can think of that's worse than this. This game doesn't give you a chance at success. Cheap enemy placement, simply overpowered enemies, and a terrible death system. The game is basically saying, "Oh, you didn't see the 40,000 skeletons around the corner and now you're dead? Well TOO BAD, we're gonna take all your experience away!" Which brings me to another point, the experience and leveling systems are TERRIBLE. Scenario, you leveled up one of your class' main skill and want to level up one of the lower skills. WELL GUESS WHAT, YOU NEED TO SPEND THE SAME AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE TO LEVEL UP A LEVEL 2 SKILL AS A GOD DAMNED LEVEL 18 SKILL. And also, while the game looks good, it suffers from horrendous frame rate issues on consoles, and the animations just look stupid. No matter what you hear from other people, this game is NOT the great game everyone has made it up to be. You need to be a masochistic in order to get any entertainment from this game. Expand
  80. Sep 4, 2013
    Definitivamente o melhor RPG de ação dessa geração de consoles, somente podendo ser superado pelo Dark Souls 2 que será lançado, contudo esse um desafio que nenhum jogo se propõe a fazer, pois não existe facilidades, um jogo que lhe frusta por pegar um jogador mal acostumado com checkpoints, saves e etc, e faz o jogador parar com a realidade que a morte a melhor forma de aprender... jogoDefinitivamente o melhor RPG de ação dessa geração de consoles, somente podendo ser superado pelo Dark Souls 2 que será lançado, contudo esse um desafio que nenhum jogo se propõe a fazer, pois não existe facilidades, um jogo que lhe frusta por pegar um jogador mal acostumado com checkpoints, saves e etc, e faz o jogador parar com a realidade que a morte a melhor forma de aprender... jogo incrível. Expand
  81. Aug 19, 2013
    If you are going to make a game this long have the decency to add a storyline to it, because this is not acceptable. Dark Souls features a fun and challenging combat system, with a plethora of weird and fantastic monsters to fight. The different zones or environments you travel through are equally as unique and fantastic as the enemy monster designs. So this game does some things reallyIf you are going to make a game this long have the decency to add a storyline to it, because this is not acceptable. Dark Souls features a fun and challenging combat system, with a plethora of weird and fantastic monsters to fight. The different zones or environments you travel through are equally as unique and fantastic as the enemy monster designs. So this game does some things really well. What it fails at is the storyline, which is far too thin to engage you, in particular for a game this long. I had trouble finishing the game because I simply stopped caring about it, it became boring because there is no real storyline in it. The storyline seems to have been attached as an after-thought. A thin storyline is acceptable in a short game, say 10 hours or so which is how long Demon's Souls was, but not in an 80 hour game. If I am to enjoy an 80 hour game I need some kind of storyline, something to hook me in and keep me interested. Dark Souls does not do that. It does not help that your character has no personality, he or she is just a killing machine, nothing more nothing less. Bottomline: if you want an action RPG with an engaging storyline and a protagonist with a personality I would think twice before buying this game, but if you just want to fight your way through some unique-looking monsters in equally unique environments you might enjoy Dark Souls. Expand
  82. Aug 13, 2013
    Lets get straight to the point about Dark Souls. It is a game designed with the gamer in mind. You play Dark Souls, from the very moment that it loads to the bitter end of the game and it's many cycles (if you can get that far). By removing most of the common traits found in todays high budget "AAA" titles, things like: Pointless walking to places or boring exploration segments, talking toLets get straight to the point about Dark Souls. It is a game designed with the gamer in mind. You play Dark Souls, from the very moment that it loads to the bitter end of the game and it's many cycles (if you can get that far). By removing most of the common traits found in todays high budget "AAA" titles, things like: Pointless walking to places or boring exploration segments, talking to pointless NPC's for useless information, a regenerating health bar, persistent save points and all the things that a casual gamer holds dear.

Dark Souls begins as it means to go on and it starts you out within minutes of a boss fight, one of many boss fights that you will encounter through out the game. In fact, the boss fights are the main crux of this game, everything else you do is done in preparation of the boss fights. These often gargantuan enemies will put to test your build and skills in a way that few games will ever replicate.

And your build, your characters development and advancement through Lordran is core to the games mechanics and it's beating heart. Finding the right combo of armour/weapons and Magic feels empowering as the game becomes that little bit easier when you nail it. Enemies that would repeatedly kick your ass now can be taken down in a few hits of your new sword.

Most importantly with Dark Souls is the genuine feeling of achievement when obstacles have been climbed over. You have to work out for yourself (or with one of the many DS Wiki's) how to navigate each area of Lordran. Whether your crawling the Depths or marauding through the Dark Root Basin you are constantly in danger, and it's this constant threat which makes DS the nerve shredder that it is. When you die you get punished for it so you do your best to NOT DIE!!!!

There is also one element of the game which often gets overlooked. It has PvP, glorious, brutal and downright brilliant PvP. You can't jump right in however, as with everything in this game you need to earn it. Once you earn it, you can invade another players game and kill them, take their souls and Humanity (rare in game item essential for PvP). You can do this at any level and the game matches your character to similar skill level players. I can say for certain that the PvP in Dark Souls is one of the best and most engaging MP games out there right now.

If your into adventure games and RPGs then I would recommend this. Its not for the faint of heart, it is difficult at first, but once you get used to it and your character gets harder so does the enjoyment of the game. Which goes up exponentially.

Play Dark Souls, Love Dark Souls. It's better than everything out there.
  83. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is easily the best game I've ever played. That does not mean this game isn't frustrating, and it does not mean the game is for everyone, however, it is perfect for me.

I did not play Demon Souls and had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. Starting out, the game gives you little to go by. You read the messages, and just sort of start learning by doing. This is easily one of the most frustrating parts of the game. The first boss must have killed me like 20 times before I downed him. But that's one of it's best selling points. Every boss, every fight, everything about this game is one giant puzzle. You experiment, you learn a little bit, you try again. You learn, you learn, you learn... and you get better. And as you get better, the game gets easier. It throws new twists at you, new turns, new strategies you have to adapt too. But just like the rest of the game; you learn, you adapt, you get better, and you win.

I rage quit about 12 hours into my first playthrough after I had just gotten to Blighttown. I started over and got to the same point in the game in 4 hours. I tell you this just to illustrate how much the game is about learning. The first time through the game, every fight every area was a challenge, but after I figured out the areas it became much easier.

After you've learned the game, another beautiful aspect of the game becomes true. The replayability of this game is amazing because there are so many ways you can approach it. The main hub is a true spider, allowing someone who knows what they are doing to be able to fight bosses out of order, skip bosses they didn't know they could in their original playthroughs. There is an infinite new game plus system allowing you to fight the same enemies, just stronger versions, to test your skills.

Some people may complain about the story, but the game has great depth if you are willing to look for it. The user is forced to come to their own conclusions about most of the world, from the experiences they have in the game, the small tidbits of dialogue, and the descriptions of the items that lay everything out for you.

To me the worst part of the game... is that it ends. When the game was done, I wanted more bosses, more enemies, and I greatly anticipate the sequel.
  84. Jul 25, 2013
    How can I describe this game? To put it in short, it's a frustratingly difficult dark fantasy adventure full of anguish and rage that at the same time is so beautiful and rewarding that you simply can't put it down. Combat is very weighty, unforgiving and difficult but at the same time it is fair, pragmatic and rewarding. If you approach this game as something you can just fly through withHow can I describe this game? To put it in short, it's a frustratingly difficult dark fantasy adventure full of anguish and rage that at the same time is so beautiful and rewarding that you simply can't put it down. Combat is very weighty, unforgiving and difficult but at the same time it is fair, pragmatic and rewarding. If you approach this game as something you can just fly through with no problems and should be able to win without dying once on your first playthrough, you are going to either change your viewpoint very quickly or you are going to never play the game again after the tutorial and miss out on a can't-miss experience.

The core mechanic of this game is trying to figure out an enemy's strategy first-hand by taking all the punishment yourself, dying, returning to where you fought the beast and exploit whatever weaknesses you were able to pinpoint. Bosses are incredibly difficult and hard to take down, but once you get the strategy on how to beat it (and after dying at least a few times), the feeling you get when you finally kill that boss is the most rewarding, beautiful feeling you can ever experience, and no game has ever given me this feeling so many times. Oh, and yes, every boss is like this (well, save a few poorly designed ones, but that's two or three compared to the twenty-something there are to fight).

The story is very vague and left up to your own interpretation. The entire plotline revolves around the fact that you don't know who to trust and what to believe and you have no idea what the right thing to do is as NPC's will lie to you and tell you half-truths. Without giving the plot away, I will say that in the end you will have to make a very important decision, and both sides have very ambiguous arguments and it's very hard to tell which you should do. After making my decision, I sat for a good 5 or 10 minutes pondering whether or not I made the right choice as the screen faded to black immediately afterwards. That's right: You don't get to see what really happens after the choice is made.

Multiplayer is fun and useful, and New Game is a very wonderful feature that will add another 50+ hours to your total game time as you do the entire story over again with all of your levels and equipment facing monsters that are twice as hard as the first time, and if you complete that, the +'s stack endlessly, at least from what I have seen. You can up the difficulty time after time again, making the challenge of this game never go away.

If you really want a challenge and are not afraid to get your hands dirty and die a few hundred times, this game is a must-buy.
  85. Jul 24, 2013
    Dark Souls is an amazing game. From the enemies, to the lore, to the environments, everything SCREAMS originality. The world of Dark Souls is a very bleak one, but one you could be lost in for hours. The game gives you what you put into it. Don't expect cutscenes or narratives to explain the story, its up to you to do the research by reading item descriptions, talking to npcs, and evenDark Souls is an amazing game. From the enemies, to the lore, to the environments, everything SCREAMS originality. The world of Dark Souls is a very bleak one, but one you could be lost in for hours. The game gives you what you put into it. Don't expect cutscenes or narratives to explain the story, its up to you to do the research by reading item descriptions, talking to npcs, and even drawing your own conclusions. The gameplay is exeptional, even though many people mistake it for being "stiff". The gameplay is very responsive, and almost every weapon attacks differently. On the topic of weapons, you can craft your weapons to a great extent to fit your exact playstyle. Even online, there is not just one way to go about playing. You can do whatever you want. And the game, contrary to popular belief, is NOT that hard. This is not to say it is not challenging, but it doesn't have artificial difficulty. Even if you have 1 hp, enemies and bosses are still beatable, with the right amount of skill. Each move is appropriately telegraphed just enough for you to get out of the way. But if the game does end up being too difficult, there is a way to make it easier. Git Gud. Expand
  86. Jul 21, 2013
    Firstly, before I say anything else, I must say this: Dark Souls is not for everyone. That should seem obvious based on its reputation, but when I say "not for everyone", I don't just mean that this isn't for first time gamers. It takes certain personality traits to want to play Dark Souls. I would recommend borrowing it from a friend first to see if you like it.

Character Creation:

Character Creation:
    Dark Souls didn't just stick with the standard warrior, rouge, wizard. There are 10 classes to pick from, each of them utterly unique, and allowing for a wide range of play styles, non of which are necessarily "better" than any other. Should you have any friends that play this game, endless fun can be had chatting about the different ways you both played the game.

Story:
    Dark Souls has a reputation for having a bad, or even non-existent plot. I disagree with these statements. Your character's story is very minimalistic, whereas the story of the world around you is immensely detailed. It must be kept in mind that this was intentional. This is just another case of the game letting you know that you, the player, and thus, your character as well, are meaningless nothings. Millions before you tried, and failed at the very same task you are trying to complete. But as I said before, the story of the world you are in is huge, and the majority of it is told without dialogue. Much of world's history is slowly pieced together by occasional item's whose flavor text contains lore, and by merely exploring and looking at the once thriving and now desolate society around you. The unorthodox way of story telling doesn't always work for games, but Dark Souls pulled it off beautifully.

Combat:
    Practically every weapon has two unique basic attacks, and 3 special attacks that are essentially the same regardless of what weapon you're using. You would think that having such a small number of attacks would make combat dry and repetitive. However, you would be wrong. Combat will always keep you on the edge of your seat for three reasons. Firstly, your extreme desire to stay alive. Secondly, Dark Souls probably has the largest number of different enemies I've every seen in a game. In my playing it I can only recall 3 types of enemies being reused in different areas. It's hard to explain in words just how many types of enemies there, and each of them is a new problem to be worked out. Thirdly, The level design in Dark Souls is just like the monsters. That is to say, it has incredible variety and is immensely different everywhere you go. Not only is combat thrilling, but your class does not bind you to wear certain gear and use certain weapons. Literally any armor or weapon can be used by any class as long has you have the stats to wield them, which you get by leveling up. This means two things. One, it means that your proficiency with weapons/armor is largely based on your actual skill/experience using it. And two, it means that you will constantly be switching out gear and experimenting to see what works best in the current situation. Everything about the combat makes it anything but boring and repetitive.

Sound/Graphics:
    This deserves special mention. Dark Souls without a doubt is one of the most beautiful looking games ever created, and it's excellent sound design compliments that. Dark Souls generally leaves you without music to intensify the lonely feeling you get while playing the game. However, there are a few key areas, such as Firelink Shrine, which is essentially your base of operations, where beautifully written music kicks in. The only other times where there is music is during boss fights. And again, the music is just flat out fantastic.

Non-artificial difficulty:
    One of the things I love most about Dark Souls is that it's difficult, but doesn't employ what I call artificial difficulty. This is when enemies are given more health or deal more damage. Dark Souls is hard because once you beat one area you move on to completely unknown territory. There could be anything there, even a boat.

Victory and Death: The crowning jewel of Dark Souls is this: when you die, it means something. It's a visceral ache in your heart. When you win, it means something. Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the feeling of finally killing that boss that's halted your progress for so long.

Problems:
    I first started played Dark Souls with my brother, who had played a bit of the game already, watching be play. I'm glad he was, because there are several extremely important game mechanics that are either explained poorly, or not explained at all. I would recommend playing the first hour or so of the game with someone who has played Dark Souls before. However, if you can't, I will save you some time and tell you to look up these things online: equip load, humanity, reverse hollowing, kindling, parameter bonus, durability, two handing weapons. Honestly, this is my only complaint.

ADD version: Great gameplay. Great story. Absorbing world and atmosphere.
  87. Jul 18, 2013
    Dark Souls has driven me to the brink of madness with frustration, but it's just so damn good that i HAVE to give it a recommendation. I can't honestly recommend it enough
  88. Jul 11, 2013
    Dark Souls punishes you. Whether or not you like this game; you have to admit that it punishes you. Severely. How you reacted to the punishment directly affects the score you gave the game. If the uncountable deaths doused any passionate flame for challenge you had for this game, you are (sorry to say) weak. You couldn't do it. No matter how you look at it, you could not beat this gameDark Souls punishes you. Whether or not you like this game; you have to admit that it punishes you. Severely. How you reacted to the punishment directly affects the score you gave the game. If the uncountable deaths doused any passionate flame for challenge you had for this game, you are (sorry to say) weak. You couldn't do it. No matter how you look at it, you could not beat this game because you weren't strong enough. If you didn't want to, that's a different story. If the insane challenge fueled your drive to defy From Software and you continued, you were rewarded. For those who haven't bought the game and have no idea what I'm talking about I say this: You will never know how strong you are until you play this video game. If you beat games on easy... Stay away. Save the money. Buy Skyrim and stun-lock dragons for all I care; I'll be testing skill. Not my aim with a dual-casted firebolt. Expand
  89. Jul 8, 2013
    This game is probably one of my favorite games ever created. It brings back the feel of a challenge, while have the modern graphic capabilities. There are thousands of different combinations of weapons and armor. An extremely rich history and mind-numbing lore. It is not for the casual gamer.
  90. Jul 6, 2013
    Very in-depth combat and leveling system. You don't simply invest all your points into strength, and expect to bash your way to victory! What are you, casual? No, you have to play smart, not hard. Learn from your mistakes, and you WILL make mistakes. The artificial difficulty will constantly have you second guessing your every step.

The lore is by far one of my favorites of any game,

The lore is by far one of my favorites of any game, not simply because of the content, but how it is presented. The only narration is at the beginning of the game to give you the basic set up of the world. The rest is up to you to discover and put the pieces together. This dark and hellish land has so many stories to tell if you have a keen eye and the ability of deduction, which is unlike any other game I have played before. Time is convoluted in the land of Lordran. So you have to pay attention and keep track of what is happening now, what has happened in the past that is happening now, and what will take place long after your character is dead... Which is also happening now! Past, present, and future are all involved in the lore, and sometimes even the armor, weapons, and other equipment you find have stories.

This is the part where I just gush about how much I love the game, feel free to skip. THIS GAME IS SO AMAZING! ON MY TOP 5 GAMES THIS IS NUMBER 1, 2, AND 4, BUT NOT 3- NEVER 3! THE WAY EVEN THE MOST MINOR OF CHARACTERS HAVE SUCH A HUGE BACKSTORY AND INTERTWINE IN YOUR JOURNEY! IT'S JUST SO FREAKIN' COOL... Okay, I'm done. No. Seriously. Get out of here.
  91. Jun 27, 2013
    At first, you'll think to yourself that Dark Souls is the hardest game ever. Every enemy can kill you in a few seconds, the world is covered in Bosses and booby traps, and you continue to die frequently. However, after about 5 hours, you realize that the game really isn't difficult: It's strict. It's not like the deaths are unfair. The game just has a set of very specific rules that itAt first, you'll think to yourself that Dark Souls is the hardest game ever. Every enemy can kill you in a few seconds, the world is covered in Bosses and booby traps, and you continue to die frequently. However, after about 5 hours, you realize that the game really isn't difficult: It's strict. It's not like the deaths are unfair. The game just has a set of very specific rules that it wants you to follow, and if you don't, you will die. In that regard, the game is masterful. It teaches you how to play the game with every death you have rather than with the use of extended tutorials and menus. You begin to develop strategies, calculate risks, and explore further. For this reason and many more, Dark Souls is one of the best games around. It's a must play. Expand
  92. Jun 1, 2013
    This game, to me, is dated, repetitive, and boring. It felt like it was only hard at times because the controls were so bad. After getting killed by a boss because of those clunky, unresponsive controls, spending 30 minutes having to fight all the re-spawned enemies to try again is not enjoyable, it's annoying. Some people enjoy this game, and that's fine, but these high ratings areThis game, to me, is dated, repetitive, and boring. It felt like it was only hard at times because the controls were so bad. After getting killed by a boss because of those clunky, unresponsive controls, spending 30 minutes having to fight all the re-spawned enemies to try again is not enjoyable, it's annoying. Some people enjoy this game, and that's fine, but these high ratings are ridiculous. I liked Deadly Premonition, loved it ,in fact, but I would never score it higher than 3-4. Here's a tip for everyone, most games have high difficulty settings in the options, if that's what you're after. Expand
  93. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most challenge you will get... ever.

I could have ended my review from there, but despite being the hardest game of 2012, it's not when you get used to it.

Story wise, you are the chosen undead, set out to fulfill a prophecy,you ring two bells of awakening and head onto the place of the gods.And I summed it up for a casual gamer.the game has a lot of back story with the world, characters and the events in the game also,but its not there in front of you and requires interpretation and that's why this game is so awesome.Not much to say but moving on.

The game play is a open world experience where there are no such things as loading screens(only when using homeward or re spawning).Everywhere you go, there is always something brand new to explore,and and every corner is a challenge, literally, even the rats pose a threat.you can also join covenants, which can benefit you for the better good.There is no choice of difficulty, because it is not needed otherwise it will eradicate your experience.The bosses are also challenging, but requires a strategy to deal with them.In fact, the entire game relies on your strategy.Don't be afraid of death, because you must 'prepare to die' to succeed.Blame the game and yourself for the destruction for your controllers(100% guaranteed) .There is online, where you invade players(which is fun to torture them further more), see where fellow hallows died on the spot and player messages on the floor, giving hints or tricking you to death.the controls are very fluent and need to get used to to proceed to the very end. Like every other rpg, you level up your character with souls, which is used as currency and maintaining humanity, to make your character into a human being, befitting your curse resistance and chances of items dropped from your victims.And of course, you can customize you character too.

Graphically, the game is beautiful,where you travel to the depths of the lost izalith or venturing though Anor Londo and fighting drakes in a valley.Barely any texture pop in, but some characters don't move their mouths though nor have any convincing mouth expressions(not required for the record) and the sound department is full of epicness in a nutshell.

This game, like i said, is a challenge.And i going to end it right here.overall,This game is a perfect gem for everyone!if you're don't like death,this game is not for you. if you want an FPS or a popcorn action flick, go play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.I found nothing that is bad,but i do recommend you purchase the prepare to die edition of Dark souls if you are new to the series!
  94. May 25, 2013
    I found this game to be an enjoyable experience, although occasionaly frustrating due to its challenging difficulty. .

Gameplay I personally found the combat to be mostly skill and reflex based. You have to learn when to strike, dodge and parry each type of enemy, and you also have to strategicly use the bonfires, which are the checkpoints of Dark Souls but when ever you use it, the hords of enemy that you just passed through will respawn, meaning back tracking will be harder incase you need to.

Graphics I found the graphics to be more than what i initially expected out of this game, and found the dark and gritty art style to be very fitting to the gameplay, difficulty and the focus on "dark things."

Story Ever put a puzzle together? If you don't look for the pieces of the puzzle then the puzzle will always be incomplete, and that what the story feels like to me. You get an introduction video introducing you to the lore and sometimes in the beginning you will be refered to as the chosen undead, but you were never told why you were chosen and for what. Most of the lore you will get are from the item descriptions and loading screens.

Multiplayer I was very excited by this feature only to be dissapointed by how hard it is to play with my friends. It isn't like most games where you just invite your friends and they join. No! you have to jump through hell of alot of hoops that shouldnt be there. Me and my friends never get to play co-op because of how difficult it was.
  95. May 19, 2013
    Positives: Incredible scenery, awesome graphics, tons of variation with weapons, armor, in-game items, so much to explore, and seriously in-depth story (although not exactly clear to the player, but if you read everything and explore everything, you'll see the story, and what a story.), so much choice available to the player right from the beginning of the game. Able to replay this gamePositives: Incredible scenery, awesome graphics, tons of variation with weapons, armor, in-game items, so much to explore, and seriously in-depth story (although not exactly clear to the player, but if you read everything and explore everything, you'll see the story, and what a story.), so much choice available to the player right from the beginning of the game. Able to replay this game again and again and again and still be given a challenge. It's one of the more difficult games out there, but that's what I like about it. With the intense difficulty that this game provides (damn you FromSoft), the sheer jubilation you feel when you accomplish something in this game is what it's all about for me. And the added fact I've managed to get all achievements is something I never thought I'd achieve with this game (not that it was a simple task). You can also summon other players to your world to help you with boss battles, and to help you clear the area up until that point. There's no option to change difficulty, so you gotta learn from your mistakes and strategise how you're going to do things.

Negatives: The lag you get when doing PvP (not so bad with co-op play) is ridiculous, it's pretty much impossible to fight an invading/invaded player-enemy as it will almost always lag out (for the majority of us). I personally don't consider this next point a negative, but a lot of people will find this game extremely hard and will be off-put by it.

9/10 because of the huge amount of fun I had playing this, searching every rock and every corner of every area to find something new, even on my 50+ playthrough (not new game +50, but you get the jist). Extremely challenging game, which made it all the more sweeter once I completed it, and then completed it again to claim all 'ending' achievements. You will always find something new, very few people on earth know every little detail about Dark Souls, so you'll definitely get your money's worth.
  96. May 17, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. Dark souls spits in the faces of all the new linear/mass appeal driven games and delivers something special. Something you don't see very often these days, a game that takes some big boy pants to overcome.
  97. May 4, 2013
    This game is as rewarding as difficult. Every enemy in the game is a challenge, it's great to spend time learning how to beat them. For a strange reason, it's highly addictive too.
  98. Apr 28, 2013
    Punishment at one of the fullest, But Victory at it's best. Dark Souls continues to receive a very demonic challenge with a lot of hours to spend developing your skills and training how to fight specific enemies. A large amount of weapons and monsters will keep you in for the adventure.. Just be warned this game is not meant to be easy and raging will occur
  99. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is the most overrated ever! Let me Explain why I think this game is bad.......1st: There is no choice of difficulty settings, instead you were force to be challenge all the time (which I hate).......2nd: Its exactly the same game as Demon Souls, only difference is the place, environment and the monsters, people was mad that "COD" always being a rip off from its previous gameThis game is the most overrated ever! Let me Explain why I think this game is bad.......1st: There is no choice of difficulty settings, instead you were force to be challenge all the time (which I hate).......2nd: Its exactly the same game as Demon Souls, only difference is the place, environment and the monsters, people was mad that "COD" always being a rip off from its previous game every time but what about Dark Souls rip off Demon Souls?..... 3rd: Its not "open world" type like Skyrim or Fallout 3 but instead your were force to go on a linear path anywhere........4th: There is very few dialogue choices while communicating with several NPCs (infact there were very few NPCs) on a game which its genre has being called an "RPG" game........5th There is no "cheats" or what so ever for players who are so frustrated by the game and doesn't want to be challenge.......6th: There is no storyline to it, just a linear dialogue and cutscene to push you forward? To me gaming is about "fun" and I find this game isn't about "fun" but "challenges". For me who has less "free time" and a busy person, I find this game a horrible game for me...... If I want to be challenged, I'll do it in real life like challenge myself in sports or any competition that benefits me in real life and not on a nerd virtual videogame that was made by someone who is successful at making money from giving others "challenges". Expand
  100. Apr 17, 2013
    El mas grandioso, melancólico y tenebroso juego de la historia, direccion de arte y de enemigo derivados de una auténtica inspiración demoniaca de los autores, y lo mejor este año sale el 2.

1. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, Dark Souls is a more difficult, but less enjoyable (and less accessible) Demon's Souls.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Souls' world is dense with something new around every corner. [Issue#78, p.76]
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Souls makes no bones about being unrelenting in its difficulty though, although it's by no means insurmountable. It's a rare game that's unlike anything else, refusing to pander or compromise in any way, shape or form. In this day and age, Dark Souls is hugely refreshing then, and well worth the time and effort.