• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Jul 9, 2013
  • Also On: PC
4.0

1. Jul 9, 2013
    I don't usually make reviews, but, having played the game for over 5 hours now, I was baffled by the professional reviews and infuriated by M9ki score.
    Dark has what I would expect from a stealth game: It's fun to sneak around and find a way to kill without being spotted, all the upgrades seem powerful and useful and the level designs make it interesting to kill and run around.
    About the
    AI Eventually you actually memorize their movements but if the enemies didnt follow SOME kind of pattern, it would be impossible to come up with a plan of action.
    This game is not as awesome as hitman nor as complex as splinter cell, but I'd recommend this one to anyone who enjoyed those games.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    M9ki its people like you who ruin a games honest score. You cant even spell, you dont make sense. It makes me so mad, thats why I dont rely on these reviews anymore, so many times have I played a great game that has been rated 60 or less.

As far as the game DARK goes, its not that bad. They tried to do something a little different here and I commend them for that. I always like a game
    that is different because it is refreshing from all the sandbox action, fps, gta style games that I get so sick of. Just like REMEMBER ME and THE LAST OF US, although this game isnt on their level (Remember me was way underrated).

My honest score would be a 7 but I have to wash out that ignorant review. Pick it up if you want to try something a little out of the ordinary. Can be boring at times, but so can a lot of these masterpieces sitting in my collection. Its out for 50 dollars and if you cant swing that wait a few days try it used and return it if you dont like it. For me, i was excited to try it so I did. I wasnt upset with my buy by any means.
  3. Jul 17, 2013
    First off I truly wanted to enjoy this game. I been a gamer from the mid 1970's and own over 1 k games so can say I know what I am talking about when I say this is the worst game I have ever played hands down...and I played thrill kill on ps1.. This games logic is so messed up it hurts.. I will say tge graphics are good and sounds are nice as well but the game just is really not worth buying new or even used..maybe a rent if truly want to play something that will irritate the crap outta you. The game dosent even follow vampire lore. Bullets do not kill vampires more so 2-5 bullets kill the player..total illogical. I am pleased Kylapso tried to make this good but IMO failed baddly. Better to stick to Dungeons rather then fail at a game like this again. Expand
  4. Jul 9, 2013
    To start off, I want to mention that my true score would be a 5-6, but I'm rating this game an 8 to account for M9ki's review, since he has not actually PLAYED the game, and therefore doesn't know jack about it, making his review a waste of time and unnecessarily harsh.
    Dark, as it turns out, is a surprisingly mediocre game. I was quite excited when I saw the game description and
    figured it would be a good buy, so I started giving it some playtime. While I wouldn't call the game BAD, I would definitely call it unpolished, and in need of some tweaking. The voice acting is mediocre, the abilities are mediocre, the gameplay is mediocre, and the storyline is mediocre. I feel as though this game could be improved simply by giving this game another month or two of development time.
    I'm disappointed in the story not because it isn't perhaps engaging, but because I never really felt as though I really wanted the lead character to succeed. In games like Thief and Dishonored, I really enjoyed playing the character because I wanted to do my best to make him be successful and complete the game in a way that would seem acceptable to the main character. DARK doesn't even make me feel the distinct apathy I feel from playing games like Hitman, or which means that the story was a bit lacking.
    The gameplay is acceptable at best, since it does allow for you to play the game entirely from a stealth viewpoint. The checkpoints are rather annoying, particularly if you're a completionist like me who insists upon playing the game perfectly. The AI felt as though it needed more depth, since it is rather easy to evade the AI if you simply watch long enough. While that may seem like it is not a problem, I find it very annoying simply because there ought to be more strategy and skill than simple observation. If the developers of DARK spent more time looking at the paths available in games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution I feel as if this game would be a much greater success.
    In the end, I would recommend this game to those that are diehard stealth/RPG/action gamers and those that have a hankering for a new stealth game, but not to those that weren't thrilled by the classic stealth games like Thief, Dishonored, Hitman: BM, Deus Ex: HR, and others. It's enjoyable, but it's not an instant-classic; this game will offer enjoyment, but very little in the way of new benefits over established titles, because while it is not a BAD game on its own, it definitely isn't a blockbuster hit.
  5. Jul 12, 2013
    I really love what Kalypso was trying to do here. Clearly They were trying to make a dedicated vampire themed stealth game, which got me excited for the game to begin with, with RPG elements Sadly I feel that this game falls short. The RPG elements are there, but there are so very few of them that they can barely even say that this game has any at all. There is the Mass Effect dialogue wheel, but most of what you are told when you get these wheels show up are usually things you have already been told or already know and special powers to learn and upgrade that are so many that you can easily tell early on that late in the game all challenge that you face will be almost entirely gone. The stealth is semi-competent but at times feels lazy when you discover that hiding in bushes or behind trees, for example, don't work because of the failure to utilize cover of any kind besides conveniently placed chest to chin high wall and scenic fixtures. The broken enemy AI makes any attempt at ghosting your way through this game a frustrating mess. Things such as if you are spotted almost every guard in the area knows exactly where you are, being spotted by enemies that are looking in the opposite direction you are in, probably the most unnatural human field of vision have ever seen in a video game, and leaving you wide open for escape when shooting to the direct open air next to where you are hiding isn't working. From personal experience, there was one time when an enemy popped in out of nowhere behind me and killed me. There was a railing to my back and when i moved there he was. I like a good challenge, but this game can be ridiculously unfair with how buggy it can be.

Despite all my criticisms, I would not say to just downright avoid this game. Like I said before, this game, stealth wise, is at least semi competent and unlike most stealth games coming out today, its not one of those games that you can just say "screw it" and powerhouse your way to the next level, giving it at least some high ground it today's stealth game market for the challenge alone. Overall, it's a decent game to try out if you are looking for a rental or wait for a price drop or two. On its best day, this game shouldn't have been anything other than an XBL arcade release. There are alot of cool concepts in this game, but the delivery was disappointing and underwhelming
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    A very bland stealth game. It has a few good ideas, but just fails to realize them. Visuals are pretty at points, but then again also very lazy at others, particularly with character animation. This game is really nowhere near this generations level that feels and looks, most of the time, like a last gen title. Overall: DARK feels like it could have the potential to be so much more. It feels like an alpha version of a much bigger game. Such a shame that this is what they decided to release. Not worth buying, a cheap rental at best. Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    You people are acting like mentalist children. Honestly. Just review the damn game, give it an honest score, and trust that We The Gamers are clever enough to recognize a petty, spiteful, or outright bullsh*te review. Honestly, if we're not smart enough to mange that, nothing you do or say will help. That kinda stupid is best put to sleep. (Before it can breed, obviously.) Really? Inflating your score to compensate? Stop and think.

You're doing what you're complaining about. You're giving a false score.

When all else fails, just be honest. Protesting a bs review by posting a bs score is...

Just...don't breed. We'll call it even.

I digress.

Dark is poorly executed, but it's a really great idea. With more time and a LOT more money, a vampire stealth game could ROCK THE GAME WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. Or, you know, be fun.

If it had, say, the assassin's creed control engine, for example, being-a-vampire could give being-a-ninja and being-a-pirate a run for most satisfying vicarious stereotype.

The Moral? Don't buy it, but try it, Why the hell not, right?

There, i reviewed the silly game and gave it an honest (if slightly generous on account of the kick*ss concept) score. If we all do that, the site really works. If we act like over-medicated children, it kinda falls apart and this middling piece of crap game gets frkn 8s and 10s.

Your vote is not a weapon. It's a responsibility. Grow up or go home.
  8. Aug 12, 2013
    Dark is a stealth based game by Kalypso Media where you play as Eric Bane a vampire with several powers who must use his abilities defeat his enemies human and vampire alike. This is a game that seeks to mimic the styling of Assassins Creed and the darkness of Dishonored, but unfortunately due to several major flaws fails to live up to the fun or polish of either game.

Dark is a stealth
    based RPG that promises a deep and engaging story with unique settings and abilities all of which is set in the dark and forboding world of vampires. Your abilities are fueled by the energy you consume from your victims and your objective is to use your powers to make your way through the areas and reach your goal. Unfortunately there are more than a few problem this game has when attempting to make good on these promise of a deep and immersive world with challenging gameplay.

Visit www.GameFan365.com for the full review
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    I had the displeasure of playing this terrible excuse for a sneaking game. Everyone was complaining about someone else's terrible review that they all inflated this putrid game's score up. Now that his review is gone, the score is far out of balance to what it should be.

The graphics are on par with an original xbox game, and watching the characters interact is a joke. If you remember
    how acting on half life 1 looked like, this is the same.

The control is infuriating! You'd think that having a teleport ability would be cool! Not this game! It's so difficult to set where you want to teleport to, it makes more sense to walk there. On top of that, teleporting alerts guards from far and wide.

Which brings me to the 2nd part that bugged the heck out of me. Feeding on people (Which makes no noise) alerts everyone around, whereas doing a giant loud instant kill punch to their back doesn't alert anyone. Go figure...

The AI is so basic that it gets to be frustrating. As soon as you are found will rush to you, and then slowly back away when you try to get close to do your slow ass punch which makes any combat absolute torture.

If you want a great stealth game with awesome teleporting fun, get Dishonored!
  10. Aug 13, 2013
    To put it simply, Dark should not have come out in 2013 and definitely not with a $40 price tag.

Let me begin by saying that Dark is a game I had looked forward to for some time now. After all, we haven't seen a good vampire based video game since the likes of the timeless Vampire: The Masquerade and BloodRayne Series. Who wouldn't want to stalk the night as a badass vampire? The
    designers knew we longed for a vampire experience and promised us one. Sadly, it was not what we had hoped (the hype built up around the game didn't do it much favors either).

I am disappointed and quite frankly, angry. I am not angry because Dark is a horrible game, I am angry because of what it could have been. The only thing worse than a bad game is a game which has great potential and then somehow manages to fall flat; and that is exactly what Dark does.

Dark is one of those games that sounds magical on paper, but translates to a mediocre experience very quickly. From the moment you start the game up you realize that the graphics are not exactly stellar, and really, who cares? Sure graphics have an impact, but its about gameplay. Even then, I cannot overlook the graphic 'style' of the game. Sure, you can argue that the designers were going for an artsy, graphic novel look but it leaves the models stiff and lifeless. Facial expressions are nowhere to be found and the fluidity one would expect from an agile vampire is replaced with stagnant, choppy motions.

On to sound. While the game presents some decent music and sound effects the voice acting is just painful to listen to. Most of this is likely due to the script itself which is just about as bland and generic as plots can get. While some characters are voice acted well, others are unforgivably phoned in and even the main character's lines seem to be delivered by someone who would much rather be doing something else. This mediocre acting makes it very difficult for you to care about the character since it doesn't seem like he even cares about himself.

Gameplay wise, Dark brings up some interesting mechanics but once more it feels very limited and too toned down. You don't feel like a vampire for a majority of the game, you feel more like a glorified leech. While concepts such as the Vitae system introduce a nice strategic element to the game, it ultimately becomes a crutch for the game to be 'more challenging'. Before you know it, every little action which a vampire should be able to do (such as running an actually decent speed) requires a bar of Vitae. And this brings up another issue, for a vampire you are significantly under-powered. Speed is a joke without being fully upgraded, and even then it isn't what you would expect. Your powers, while innovative and useful, seem to fall flat and the lack of any real combat system outside of stealth kills makes the game a quite grueling experience. If you are spotted once, prepare to die. Over...and over...and over. Easily 90% of the time you will only be able to beat a missions after constant trial and error, which we have seen work for some games (e.g. Dark Souls) but it seems very out of place and just down right frustrating in this game.

Yet, with all that said, I found myself slugging through mission after mission. It could be argued that Dark appeals to a 'hardcore' or as I like to call it masochistic group of gamers who are addicted to difficulty and unnecessary challenges. I often find myself in that category as well.

As much as I despise Dark for many reasons, I simply cannot bring myself to completely hate it. I think this is due to the fact that Dark just seems to have come out at the wrong time. Dark is a game which should have come out between 2005 2009, not 2013. When you have XBLA titles such as Alan Wake, I Am Alive, State of Decay, Mars: War Logs etc. you expect something more from a full fledged 360 title.
    If this game had come out at a different time, it would have been quite enjoyable but in this day and age there is no place for unpolished games such as Dark especially not at full price. I cannot recommend buying this game, but if you want to experience it try a rental or at least wait till the price drops. Don't go in with any great ambitions though, you will be disappointed.
  11. Dec 3, 2013
    Okay, here’s my view. I love music, all kinds of music. From the occasional bit of jazz and blues to electric pop to the heaviest of thrash metal, there’s a place in my library for it all. Some people have just one taste in music, say rap, and if the tune you’re listening to isn’t rap, then that person is going to say your music is crap. The same is true of games.

I was dissuaded from
    buying Dark for ages due to the overwhelmingly bad reviews it attracted. Boring graphics, stuttering controls and a broken game play they announced.

I would offer readers a slightly different view.

Dark appealed to me because of it promised stealth. I love sneaking around in games as a welcome tonic from all the AAA all-action shooters I usually play. Dark does not disappoint in that respect. You watch, wait, plan and execute. If something unexpected happens, you quickly try to hide, readjust, watch, plan and execute again. If you are good enough you’ll succeed. If you just wade in and try to bluff your way through the game, you are going to die.....a lot.

The game’s pencil-shaded graphics are lovely (in my opinion) and I thought the music in the various sound tracks really added to the suspense.

The difficulty level can be pretty tough until you get used to how things work. The enemies patrol around using mostly set routines, but this allows you to formulate a plan of attack. Who needs to die first, what will happen if I bump that one off, who will see or hear me do it, do I need and instant kill or can I spend 4-7 seconds sucking all their blood out to give me more power? If you are seen an alarm will be activated and you’ll need to either find a place to hide or fight depending on how many enemies arrive as back-up. Sometimes the enemies will sniff you out, sometimes they wont depending on how well you’re hidden.

Personally I think the reviewers who slate the enemy AI should consider that Batman Arkham Asylum works in a very similar way. The henchmen in Batman were non too bright either when it came to spotting where you were hiding, yet Dark gets torn to bits for the same idea which is executed in pretty much the same idea (and no I’m not trying to suggest Dark is comparable to Batman re combat, puzzles etc.)

As Dark progresses you realise that the mechanics can be rather repetitive as it’s always about spotting enemies, watching, moving, waiting and executing in different locations but you can buy extra powers and upgrades to mix things up sufficiently to keep things interesting. You can learn to kill from a distance using shadows, create a distraction so you can sneak past or increase your teleport powers to move through the level or get closer to enemies quickly etc.

There are a couple of weaker moments such as the dispatching of bosses which is a little underplayed in the execution and cut-scenes but that didn’t spoil things for me overall.

The game didn’t break (unlike some AAA releases take note EA-Dice re BF4) and overall I think its a good solid stealth game which requires thought and intelligence to play. If you don’t like cat and mouse games, don’t buy it. If you do, give it a go. Now that it’s £15 it’s a good buy.
  12. Feb 15, 2014
    this game is very very bad,it's just gives you into a **** gameplay a **** story it's just **** awful,this is the game that people should avoid,don't buy this game,this game is the worst
  13. Mar 18, 2014
    This game is an abomination. I can get passed the cheesy and poorly voice acted dialogue and uninspiring story, but the poorly implemented and barely functional controls kill any iota of fun this game could have had. This game never should have been released without a major gameplay overhaul. Visuals: 7/10 Sound: 4/10 Gameplay:1/10 Re-Playability: 5/10 Overall: 1/10 I really cannot recommend this game to anyone. Don't even be tempted to get it at a discount, this is one of the few times the reviewers were right. Expand
  14. Aug 25, 2013
    D4RK is unique in simply its setting, with vampires being a massively untapped market in today's popular media. The game blends perfectly stealthy, nerve-racking moments with high octane teleporation gun battles.

Sowing together these game mechanics is an engaging storyline, rife with twists and devoid of any clichés. As the story progresses, I felt a genuine intrigue as to what the
    outcome of the thrilling story of Eric bane's new life as a vampire. Expand

1. Oct 20, 2013
    With a lack of both polish and ambition, Dark will never be anything but an also-ran. As a budget title it's a passable entry-level stealth game, but there's not enough here to justify recommending it when there are so many superior games in the genre. When a game's best selling points are that the stealth is predictable and that the player is a vampire, something has gone terribly wrong.
  2. Aug 28, 2013
    Dark's concept is totally out of line, and its technical issues are not helping it. Sometimes, a good theme occurs, but its bad gaming mechanics tread in the game quickly. It's bad as a stealth-action game. It's even worse as a vampire title.
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    Dark is a complete failure. The game has poor storytelling, repetitive gameplay and poor visuals. The picture of a video game to be avoided.