• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Jul 13, 2010
  • Also On: PC
7.1

1. Apr 29, 2014
    I loved DarkStar One on my PC. So much so that when I accidentally found a version for teh Xbox 360 I immediately bought it. BIG MISTAKE! The Xbox version of this game is done by amateurs who don't know anything a about flight/space sims, and that's why this version is crap that I will never play again. And it simply comes down the controls.
    You see...from the Wright brothers to the Space
    You see...from the Wright brothers to the Space Shuttle one thing in flying remained the same. You push the stick to the right your plane/ship rolls to the right. Push the stick to the left it rolls to the left. This always has been the rule till the morons who adapted the game for the Xbox got their hands on DarkStar One. These IDIOTS managed to map the controls in such a way that you push the right the ship rolls left, and when you push left it rolls right. Besides that it makes the game ridiculous, I have no words to describe my utter contempt for the reviewers who write that this game has good controls...I mean really let them go and review barby dolls, because they obviously have the brain of a three year old girl.
    What makes it even more annoying is that the buttons can be mapped, but the all important axes and their function can't. And because the axes are mapped totally wrong. And "wrong" is the only way to describe it. This game feels like moving a cross hair on a two dimensional field, instead of flying a ship through three dimensional space. The illusion of flight is ruined.
    That's why one is the only reasonable mark this game can get.
  2. Dec 28, 2014
    The only xbox 360 space sim game and it is awful. Flying the ship around feels like wading through mud with poorly mapped (and unchangeable) controls and endless repetitive pointless cut scenes. The game has to load when jumping between star systems... Elite, the original space sim from the 1980s didn't have to load when jumping between star systems! And, my god, the voice acting... makesThe only xbox 360 space sim game and it is awful. Flying the ship around feels like wading through mud with poorly mapped (and unchangeable) controls and endless repetitive pointless cut scenes. The game has to load when jumping between star systems... Elite, the original space sim from the 1980s didn't have to load when jumping between star systems! And, my god, the voice acting... makes all your base are belong to us seem professional. Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2017
    Taking into consideration the shabby VGA graphics, this game would get a much higher rating if it were not for the rampant bugs. The game hangs on loading saves, some of the features like picking a target don't work after certain situations, which means you have to pick something else and then pick what you want, etc. It's just a very bug-infested game that speaks very poorly of the developers.

1. I certainly understand that it's unrealistic to expect a developer to fill an entire "universe" with stunningly unique content, but while DarkStar One's heart might be in the right place, it needs a top-down overhaul before I can recommend that anyone climb aboard for the journey.
  2. If you're prepared to put up with a little bit of grinding and can deal with some of the more repetitive missions outside of the main quest, there's a lot here to enjoy. For those hankering for an Elite style fix, there's definitely an amount of homage and given that there's a distinct gap in this genre, DarkStar One is ahead of its competition.
  3. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Almost unique gaming for the 360, but the one-note gameplay soon becomes routine. [Aug 2010, p.90]