7.1

1. Aug 18, 2014
    This is a great game to play local with friends sadly, no online co-op. If there was online co-op this would certainly be one of the best co-op games on the XBLA.
  2. Aug 18, 2011
    A highly underrated game in my opinion. For a start off, I love multiplayer games and this game checks that box completely as it is highly fun to play with other people. The multiplayer itself is worth the points nevermind the single player mode which is highly addictive. If you want a game which is fun and addictive and you are someone who is a fan of defense sort games, then I stronglyA highly underrated game in my opinion. For a start off, I love multiplayer games and this game checks that box completely as it is highly fun to play with other people. The multiplayer itself is worth the points nevermind the single player mode which is highly addictive. If you want a game which is fun and addictive and you are someone who is a fan of defense sort games, then I strongly recommend this game to you. In my opinion this game deserves a 10. This game also has different difficulty settings which caters to people who want a challenge as well. Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    If you only play games in single-player, then chances are Dead Block will leave you wanting more. But if you're lucky enough to have a real-life friend to play with, you'll find Dead Block to be one of the most addictive co-op experiences available on the Xbox Live Arcade.

Gameplay is simple enough to grasp and packs enough of a challenge to keep you coming back for more. Played from a third-person perspective, you will control one of three character classes--each with their own strengths and weaknesses--as you attempt to survive a zombie onslaught.

These zombie invasions take place in a number of real world locales, including houses, schools and storage facilities. In order to survive you'll need to build a variety of different traps, including those that freeze zombies in place, blow them up and poison them. There are also a bunch of different environmental objects that can be used to aid your survival, including jukeboxes that cause the zombies to dance like nobody's watching and soda machines that restore health.

As you play you'll need to search various objects in order to acquire the goods you need to finish the level. Searching objects is done with a number of simple mini-games that require you to bash buttons in a certain order or align simple shapes with one another. Other reviews have criticised these mini-games for being too simple, but I disagree--the mini-games are simple because they NEED to be. This isn't a mini-game collection, after all, but a game about a zombie invasion. To this end the mini-games achieve exactly what they need to: they hold you in place for a few seconds at a time, while your co-op partner yells for you to "watch out!" because they've spotted a zombie creeping up behind you.

And this is what Dead Block gets right--the frantic sense that you're only a moment away from death. Co-op really shines here and if you don't work together then you'll more than likely end up in trouble. Resources are shared, which means you'll need to actually communicate with your couch co-op partner (no online play is available) and work together to plan your defenses. Forget to barricade a window and you'll be overrun by zombies in no time, especially on the game's hardest difficulty setting.

Players are also encouraged to work together by the fact that each character has their own strengths and weaknesses, as well as particular traps that no other class can build. This means that one of the characters is great at putting up barricades, for example, while another can search through items much faster for the vital components you need to build decent traps.

Throughout each level you will earn upgrades that gradually turn the tide in your favour, until you're bashing in zombie heads with reckless abandon and crying "look at me, ma!". Every level has medals on offer for completing certain goals, like searching through every item, or killing a certain number of zombies.

The only REAL downfall of Dead Block is that there's not enough of it. Although the medals look nice alongside the list of levels, it's unfortunate that they don't actually serve any purpose. Also lacking is any sort of endless invasion mode, or a "Very Hard" option for us masochists. Additionally, some of the traps seem poorly conceived and it's likely you'll come to rely on only one or two to get you through each level. In closing, Dead Block is addictive co-op fun with plenty of old-school charm. For only 800 MS Points, you'd have to be crazy (or undead) to not give it a go!
  4. Jul 25, 2011
    My partner and I bought this game as we are always looking for co-op games on Xbox and I can safely say I wasn't disappointed. It's a fun and addictive game, and it has zombies...what more can you really ask for?

I can't say anything about the single player element of this game as I haven't played it, but if you're looking for a fun split screen co-op game, then I recommend giving Dead Block a shot.
  5. Jul 14, 2011
    Everything about this game on the surface seems great. Zombies, 50's style campy horror, vastly different personas for the cartoony characters, co-op (local only mind you). I even had a curiously good time for about the first 3 minutes. Then I stepped in the huge steaming pile that this game is. You are just way to busy punishing your B button blandly swinging away at furniture andEverything about this game on the surface seems great. Zombies, 50's style campy horror, vastly different personas for the cartoony characters, co-op (local only mind you). I even had a curiously good time for about the first 3 minutes. Then I stepped in the huge steaming pile that this game is. You are just way to busy punishing your B button blandly swinging away at furniture and harvesting wood from it to enjoy anything thats going on around you (it seems to take 10 to 20 rapid presses for each piece of furniture you destroy). THATS 95% OF THE GAME. It actually aggravated me more than any game I can recall in recent history. With the atmosphere and co-op screaming "I am fun!", I wanted so much to like this game. I thought..."Whoever was overseeing this project with such clear potential couldn't have screwed up THIS bad." I made it to about 15 minutes before angrily powering off my 360 and shouting. "Man, there is no getting around it, this game is just absolutely monotonous, controller breaking, unnecessary horse s h i t.!" Unless you are 5 years old and you need to where a crash helmet to eat a bowl of cereal, you will experience buyer's remorse with this one. Expand
  6. Jul 12, 2011
    I play alot of Zombie games(Dead Rising being my favorite), so i thought i would check this out, i am glad i did. Its a Zombie defense game, not really a tower defense though, more like a barricade survival game and thats where the charm comes it, there is nothing really like it in the Zombie Genre. Its really fun barricading windows, and putting up traps to keep the zombies at bay. TheI play alot of Zombie games(Dead Rising being my favorite), so i thought i would check this out, i am glad i did. Its a Zombie defense game, not really a tower defense though, more like a barricade survival game and thats where the charm comes it, there is nothing really like it in the Zombie Genre. Its really fun barricading windows, and putting up traps to keep the zombies at bay. The single player is pretty good, but gets somewhat repetitive, but the game really shines in mutiplayer. Barricading and trapping are super fun when you have 2 or 3 friends along side you. There is no online co-op, but i think thats ok, at least for me. The other problem is that there are only 3 characters, so 2 people in co-op will have to be the same character for 4 player. I think a Rockabilly character would have fit in with the whole 50's style it has going for it.....also the song 1999 Hot by Vampyre State Building, the main theme of the game is awesome. Expand
  7. Jul 11, 2011
    i have absolutely no idea why this game gets such bad reviews? for 10 euros this is a **** awesome game,i have bought 100 times worse games for 70 euros than this. Seriously whats wrong with it? Cool traps and characters and ZOMBIES and brain burgers freeze guns all that **** whats not to like. And the 4 player coop sealed the deal for me, the best 10 euros i have ever used 10/10
  8. Jul 11, 2011
    This game is tower defense meets nazi zombies. The game is overall a good game, but once you master the melee mechanics the game becomes far to easy. By the 3rd mission I rarely even used traps and just decided to melee groups of zombies on the hardest setting. The lack of Online multiplayer is also another hit to this game, had this game had some online multiplayer and harder settings itThis game is tower defense meets nazi zombies. The game is overall a good game, but once you master the melee mechanics the game becomes far to easy. By the 3rd mission I rarely even used traps and just decided to melee groups of zombies on the hardest setting. The lack of Online multiplayer is also another hit to this game, had this game had some online multiplayer and harder settings it would have been a gem. Expand
  9. Jul 11, 2011
    Great game - would have been a 10 if it had online play. Some have bemoaned the mini games - these arent really â
  10. Jul 11, 2011
    Absolutely amazing! Especially in co-op mode. Just love the unique humor of the game. The music is not my style but matches with the game. Wanna Rock tha Zombies!!! The traps are amazing, wondering what developers took to find these out. Gr8 stuff!!!
  11. Jul 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I try this gamwe with the demo first. Ah man i love the overall atmosphere and the game style. Then my brother and me pick the multiplayer demo.. wooohhoooo he like tooo. We decide this Game needs to be BUYED.
    I am a big l4d and l4d2 fan. This games rock too. If u like l4d u must buy this game it is a big fun in multiplayer too. Funny, intense and easy to learn the gameplay , . .. rock and roll braainzzzzzz
  12. Jul 10, 2011
    As a single-player game it's a little repetitive, but 4 player local co-op? Simply fantastic, especially with the difficulty turned up. The characters are pretty distinctive skill-wise, and let me give you the biggest recommendation of all: my wife and my brother's girlfriend absolutely love it and beg us to play it, and they are both barely-gamers who almost never play anything thatAs a single-player game it's a little repetitive, but 4 player local co-op? Simply fantastic, especially with the difficulty turned up. The characters are pretty distinctive skill-wise, and let me give you the biggest recommendation of all: my wife and my brother's girlfriend absolutely love it and beg us to play it, and they are both barely-gamers who almost never play anything that involves moving the camera in a 3D space. I can see why critics reviewing it as a solitary tower defense game wouldn't like it, but 4 friends on a couch, and it's east-to-learn-hard-to-master nature make it a perfect party game. Highly recommended. Expand
  13. Jul 10, 2011
    It's fun and unique take on tower defense. At least I was having fun with it. I can see how people might hate it, but I suggest giving it a chance because this could be a love it or hate it type of game. At the end of the day, it's fun, and that's all that matters from any game.
  14. Jul 9, 2011
    I don't understand why people hate this game, it's a tower-defense game, with a little humor, and zombies. The characters are good too, my favorite was Mike, the fat one, he was the most fun to play with. Oh, so your problem that it keeps getting boring? Well, the game can be done in 2 - 4 hours if you run like an idiot, and not searching for power-ups, and stuffs. I think you need to playI don't understand why people hate this game, it's a tower-defense game, with a little humor, and zombies. The characters are good too, my favorite was Mike, the fat one, he was the most fun to play with. Oh, so your problem that it keeps getting boring? Well, the game can be done in 2 - 4 hours if you run like an idiot, and not searching for power-ups, and stuffs. I think you need to play 2 - 3 levels/day, and you won't think it's boring. (I've bought it yesterday, played it 4 hours already, and I'm only done with the first 4 levels on Normal difficulty.) The price is very good, I saw pretty crappy XBLA games for 1200 MS point. Anyways, I like this game, if you don't know you will like it, or not, just try out the demo. Expand
  15. Jul 9, 2011
    I bought this game. It was horrible. Storyline makes no sense. It is one of the weakest tower defense games out there. There is no online play? I would spend money on Plants versus Zombies, South Park instead or better yet wait for Dungeon Defenders which I think is supposed to be really good. I would not spend money on this game. Graphics were also average and the fat kid seems cool atI bought this game. It was horrible. Storyline makes no sense. It is one of the weakest tower defense games out there. There is no online play? I would spend money on Plants versus Zombies, South Park instead or better yet wait for Dungeon Defenders which I think is supposed to be really good. I would not spend money on this game. Graphics were also average and the fat kid seems cool at first but becomes really annoying the more you play. I wish I could get my money back even though it is only $10. I'd rather take it and buy some pizza instead. Expand
  16. Jul 7, 2011
    I'm huge fan of tower-defense games, so I bough Dead Block for 800 MS point (very good price). There are 3 characters to play as, and each level lets you control different combinations of those 3. I wasn't quite sure how the AI in SP was going to work. Having to move each character to a specific room based in what attributes (destroy/defend/scavenge) works best is actually a good gameI'm huge fan of tower-defense games, so I bough Dead Block for 800 MS point (very good price). There are 3 characters to play as, and each level lets you control different combinations of those 3. I wasn't quite sure how the AI in SP was going to work. Having to move each character to a specific room based in what attributes (destroy/defend/scavenge) works best is actually a good game mechanic. It forces players to think what you need to do and what your AI team mates can best achieve. Good job! Okay, the story is pretty simple, but the whole game play is soo fun and enjoyable. You can set traps that will slow down the enemies so you can attack and kill them easier; and If you are caught by a group of Zombies, itâ Expand
  17. Jul 6, 2011
    Bought this today as I'm a fan of this kind of game. Have to say wish I hadn't. Very dull gameplay that involves some extremely boring mini games. Repetetive button mashing as you constantly have to smash up objects. Old mechanics of finding a key to open a door. And worst of all no online play. Didn't find it fun at all. Very average title. Can't imagine it's going to do well in theBought this today as I'm a fan of this kind of game. Have to say wish I hadn't. Very dull gameplay that involves some extremely boring mini games. Repetetive button mashing as you constantly have to smash up objects. Old mechanics of finding a key to open a door. And worst of all no online play. Didn't find it fun at all. Very average title. Can't imagine it's going to do well in the reviews. Best avoided. Expand

The lack of Xbox Live play kills it dead. [Nov 2011, p.107]
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    If you're not tired of zombies yet you will be by the time you've survived this game. It provides its cheap thrills, and building traps is fun at times, but the ridiculously slow speed and the boring weapon selection suck this dead corpse dry before you've even started.
  3. A messy, boring, button-mashing waste of time. [Nov 2011, p.111]