Dead Island: Riptide Xbox 360

6.3

1. May 2, 2013
    More of the same which isn't a bad thing. Graphics are still good, killing zombies never gets old, and roaming the island at your own leisure is still a blast. This time around there is a new character who joins the original four from the first game. New weapons, mods, and zombies are in riptide which if you havent played the original should definitely pick this one up first becauseMore of the same which isn't a bad thing. Graphics are still good, killing zombies never gets old, and roaming the island at your own leisure is still a blast. This time around there is a new character who joins the original four from the first game. New weapons, mods, and zombies are in riptide which if you havent played the original should definitely pick this one up first because riptide has wayy more content. New mechanics like a quasi tower defense mechanic have you fortifying bases with gates and help the survivors rid the undead. overall this game is for better or worse the same as the original but with more content, a new island, character, weapons, etc. I loved the first game which means i loved this one as well and you will too as long as you enjoyed the first one if not you probablly wont enjoy this at all, but newcomers to the series should definitely play this version. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    People need to understand a few things about this game. Was it meant for story? No. Was it meant for sound design? No. Was it meant to be a blockbuster to get all the press and millions of fans for the series? No. This game was meant to be played. Not drooled over, not get die hard fans, or the press's panties wet. The game lies where it was meant to be in more important aspects.People need to understand a few things about this game. Was it meant for story? No. Was it meant for sound design? No. Was it meant to be a blockbuster to get all the press and millions of fans for the series? No. This game was meant to be played. Not drooled over, not get die hard fans, or the press's panties wet. The game lies where it was meant to be in more important aspects. The environment od a gorgeous island, the weapons that are plentiful, the scavenging of items to sell or give for EXP, the crafting to make the weapons badass and useful, the slaying of zombies by the thousands, and playing with friends to around and enjoy themselves.

People, you need to look at the finer things, because if you look in the wrong direction it will lead you to an area that has no value or expression, but look the other way and you can find the possibilities and value. But the only value will be the time you enjoyed. Now... would you want to go on the good path or the bad path?
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is fun, just like the original. and people don't see that, It's the fun in video games, where it mostly on depends, and in the case of Dead island: Riptide, that certainly is true.
  4. Apr 24, 2013
    I love this game. It has everything that made the first game great and fixed several of the inconsistencies and polished the entire thing up. This is a VERY hit or miss game though. You will either love it or hate it.
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    In no way is this game a masterpiece, but it's still fun. People are too harsh on this game. People need to quit using games like skyrim and black ops as standards for other games in their genres.
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    Let's just get it out of the way of why critics hate these games, t hey are pretty repetitive in some aspects, but honestly I don't mind it.
    The graphics and gore aspect remains cool and fun from the original game.
    The graphics and gore aspect remains cool and fun from the original game.
    The only issue i have is that the first level is the same exact island, with like very little detail changed except that it's flooded now and your headed to some new area (I'm still playing it so i'm not 100% sure where i'm headed.. Started with an H I believe, I apologize.)
    I don't see much changes in weapons yet except the nailgun (which is hilarious), since i'm not too far.
    My score will fluctuate as I progress, either increase or decrease. as of right now I'm giving the coop experience a 7, i haven't had any problems with the online features.
  7. Apr 25, 2013
    It blows me away that this game has scored so poorly from some people. I, for one, absolutely love this game. All I can say is that if you liked the first one, you're really going to like the second one. The story, and voice acting aren't incredible, but given the zombie slaying action, I could really care less. After all, it's a game, not an action movie. I love that you can targetIt blows me away that this game has scored so poorly from some people. I, for one, absolutely love this game. All I can say is that if you liked the first one, you're really going to like the second one. The story, and voice acting aren't incredible, but given the zombie slaying action, I could really care less. After all, it's a game, not an action movie. I love that you can target specific limbs during combat. You can beak a zombies arms so they can't grapple with you anymore. This game is great Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    I loved the first Dead Island, so if you loved the first one you will love this one, more of the same with some extra weapons, alot of different weapons. it makes no sense that the first dead Island got an 80 overall on metacritic, but so far this one has a 60 overall? what the hell? Riptide has better graphics and better gameplay, so how is it getting reviewed like this? There are someI loved the first Dead Island, so if you loved the first one you will love this one, more of the same with some extra weapons, alot of different weapons. it makes no sense that the first dead Island got an 80 overall on metacritic, but so far this one has a 60 overall? what the hell? Riptide has better graphics and better gameplay, so how is it getting reviewed like this? There are some glitches here and there, but I'm sure they will get fixed with the next patch. Great game that's worth your money, that's another thing, it's only $50 Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. yo recomiendo este juego, no les den importancia alas malas calificaciones que le ponen, en verdad esta buenisimo. ofrece muchas horas de diversion. bueno yo le puse 10 de calificacion para justificar las malas calificaciones que le ponen los demas usuarios, pero en realidad merece un 90, tiene nuevas mejoras de bugs que tenia el anterior. Expand
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    Just like Dead Island, this game is a lot of fun to play and gets better with friends, But Just like Dead Island it's also plagued with little annoying issues, Like the scarily low FoV, Causes some serious motion sickness unless i'm playing on my 42" in my living room, Sitting at my desk I get really disorientated playing this, when will developers realize it's not just PC gamers that needJust like Dead Island, this game is a lot of fun to play and gets better with friends, But Just like Dead Island it's also plagued with little annoying issues, Like the scarily low FoV, Causes some serious motion sickness unless i'm playing on my 42" in my living room, Sitting at my desk I get really disorientated playing this, when will developers realize it's not just PC gamers that need a fov slider, ironically Dead Island Riptide doesn't have one on PC either, So it's a fail all round in that regard. As for the game, there isn't much new from the original, there's some new mods, new weapons and a new class, But it feels like your starting this game half way through, kinda means you need to play the first one to get all the benefits of this, So it's difficult, I wouldn't recommend this to new users, Get Dead Island 1 First, it's a great game, Then wait for this to be about 10 Pounds, as it's exactly the same features wise, Apart from a touched up HUD, nothing is really new with the engine, The zombies can still hit through most of your moves and knock you over REALLY easily, Weapons still cost $30000 to repair and get damaged WAY to quickly, but despite all this, I am really enjoying it, It is a good solid game, if you liked Dead Island, Get this, you will be satisfied! Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2013
    Like the old sayings goes, if it ain't broke then don't fix. To me the first one was great, realllllly great. Sure It had its moments with glitches but what game does not. All in all, if you liked the first one then this one will be what you are expecting with some new weapons and new zombies thrown into the mix. If you did not like the first one then you won't like the second one either.Like the old sayings goes, if it ain't broke then don't fix. To me the first one was great, realllllly great. Sure It had its moments with glitches but what game does not. All in all, if you liked the first one then this one will be what you are expecting with some new weapons and new zombies thrown into the mix. If you did not like the first one then you won't like the second one either.

Sure it does feel like a big expansion but at least it is marketed at $49.99 only.
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    Great game,Is not a DLC cause it has a lot of stuff on it if this was a DLC would be a $40 DLC ,mechanics are great as always,F.o.V totally sucks,weapons and skills are great btw i got this game 6 days ago,my brother works for Deep Silver and I was not on the Official Beta but I was able to provide feedback,great game no more to say only 9 cause F.o.V sucks
  13. Jun 6, 2013
    If you liked the first Dead Island you'll enjoy this game. It is pretty much the same game with a new side mission system. The graphics are good and it is fun roaming the island curb stomping zombies with the new CQB specialized character. The missions get repetitive after a while but we do them anyway because we get to kill lots of zombies in the process. The leveling system feltIf you liked the first Dead Island you'll enjoy this game. It is pretty much the same game with a new side mission system. The graphics are good and it is fun roaming the island curb stomping zombies with the new CQB specialized character. The missions get repetitive after a while but we do them anyway because we get to kill lots of zombies in the process. The leveling system felt accelerated to me; i maxed out 2 skill trees in a matter of a few hours. Coop returns and is still fun. As a fan of zombie games I recommend this game. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    Well this game is alot better than the last one the weapons last alot longer which i like and the island is much better too and the weapons have improved alot.
  15. Apr 26, 2013
    This game is not meant to have a gripping and thrilling story, it is more for the entertainment of kicking zombies in the face and watching them hurl away doing back flips, driving straight into zombies and watching them splat all over your windscreen and mowing down zombies on your boat that helplessly try to climb on board.

This game entertainment!
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    O jogo narra a continuação direta no (fraco) roteiro de "Dead Island". Contêm mecânica e gráficos semelhantes ao seu antecessor, 'Dead Island Riptide' inova pouco, porém ainda agrada aos fãs de jogos de zumbis. Com um gráfico bonito, porém simples, consegue passar a atmosfera de sobrevivência necessária, pegando novamente no enredo fraco e lento.

Praticamente tudo do jogo anterior foi

Praticamente tudo do jogo anterior foi mantido, tendo apenas pequenas alterações como novas armas e upgrades, novo sistema de side-missions (além do tradicional, conta com um novo a partir de um menu específico) e novos 'perks'. Mesmo assim demais chamar o jogo de apenas uma DLC.

O jogo começa lançando os personagens em uma ilha e deixando a história transcorrer lentamente. Este jogo tudo que "The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct" deveria ter sido, mas não conseguiu. Talvez faltou um pouco mais de áreas internas e com suspense, porém o jogo muito sincero ao retratar o que seria um holocausto zumbi, que na vida real seria isso mesmo, correr, recolher comida e acertar zumbis com o primeiro objeto que estiver mão.

Há muitas análises criticando o jogo, mas sinto que isso vêm de pessoas que não entenderam seu intuito que demonstrar o cotidiano no holocausto. Se no roteiro existissem reviravoltas incríveis, super poderes e tudo o mais, perderia o sentido do jogo...aconteceria o que aconteceu com Resident Evil muito provavelmente.

Obviamente o jogo tem seus defeitos, como alguns golpes que parecem ter atingido o adversário mas não causam dano, alguns bugs no andar nos companheiros e uma coisinha ou outra. Da inteligência artificial nem há o que comentar...são zumbis, não professores de física quântica! Para este jogo tornar-se nota 10, a Deep Silver poderia ter 'colado' de "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" algumas coisas que melhorariam a imersão no jogo e a sensação de simulação e realidade como: O transcorrer do tempo, entre 'dia e noite' e 'chuva e sol', adotando um sistema de tempo corrido; 'Safe houses' pessoais, onde fosse possível customiza-la e guardar todos os itens; Um medidor de peso máximo a se carregar.

Para quem procura um bom, longo e (quase) simulador de zumbis, este um jogo muito indicado, juntamente com o anterior (que aliás temos a opção de importar o personagem do primeiro jogo para este, mesmo sem ter terminada a campanha principal).

Ainda o mais divertido quebrar uns osso, e cortar uns membros foras da 'zumbizada'! hehe
  17. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have no idea why people are judging this game so harshly. First of all, if you love killing zombies, you'll love this game. If you liked the first Dead Island, you'll like this one as well. I played the first one, and I have to say this game met most of my expectations. I'm 24 hours into the game, and have completed 62% of it.

There are new weapons and mods, although not as many. s I would have liked. Of course every game can use more weapons, right? However, the amount and variety of weapons was satisfactory (7/10). One new feature they added, was the ability to lvl. up your skill in each weapon class (bladed, blunt, fist, firearms) based on how much you use weapons in that class. With each skill lvl you gained, you also gained a benefit for that class of weapon, such as extra dmg. or crit. (8/10)

Some of the new weapons include mines of different sorts, along with throwable bombs and knives, harpoon and stun guns, a few new melee weapons, and some unique weapons. Some new mods include AoE attacks amongst a few other mods. Like I said earlier, every game can use more weapons. But they did implement some new ones. (7/10)

Combat is much of the same, but each character has their own unique fury weapon they use when you go into fury mode. Skill trees are different, but not as choice oriented as I would have liked them to be. Like the first game, you eventually fill up all the trees. So the only real choice presented regarding skills trees is what you would like to be proficient at early on in the game. (6/10)

Graphics are much better than in the first game. Yes, there are some gliches, one of them being a very rapid change from clear weather to rain in the blink of an eye. But being a game this size, graphical gliches should be expected. (Just look at skyrim.) Combat is smooth, except for when you skull stomp a zombie underwater, the game suddenly slows down for a couple seconds, then resumes as normal. It's nothing that's awfully inconveinient, and it's not going to cause the game to crash. More than likely, these issues will be fixed next patch. (8/10)

Continuing on combat, you can also get assisted targeting for limbs, which is a nice addition. I don't know why people are saying combat is slow. To me, it's realistic and you can "feel" weight behind the weapons. It's not like Halo where the rocket launcher is as manuverable as the pistol. Weapons swing at different speeds and have different effects based on if they are one or two handed or bladed or blunt. I think combat for as far as weapon "feel" is top notch. However, I wish there were more moves you could have via button combinations or unlocked via skill tree. Which in turn could be improved by larger, more expansive skill trees. (9/10)

Voice acting and voice animations were mediocre. Sometimes the voice animations were slightly off. However, most of the script was good. Given the setting, most of the script seemed to be appropriate. (7/10) Maybe it's just me, but i find the story much more interesting than in the first one. You are with a larger group of survivors, and some are at odds with each other, which makes things interesting. (7/10)

One feature I thought was a great addition was zombie "dungeons". Some of which you're required to go into for certain quests. They have special zombies inside with unique names, not to mention a horde of zombies with enhanced and rare loot laying around. There are a multitude of these "dungeons" throughout the game, but they are somewhat small, usually only 2-6 rooms. Great new feature. (9/10)

Maps are decent, with changing environments in different areas. You change areas a few times, but there are only 2-3 sizable areas that really make you explore. You become familiar with them, enough to know your way around just like the first game. Graphics are great for environments. (8/10)

Aside from me wanting "more of everything" from this game, it did meet my expectations. It is a Dead Island game. I'm not sure what else people expected. It's definifely better than the first one, but only marginally so. Still a great game, not perfect, but it's worth buying for 50 bucks, and definitely worth renting if you're not much into zombie killing. For zombie killing fans, it's a must have. If that's not your thing, you'll probably get bored after a few hours of play. I've enjoyed every second of the 24 hours I've played. They could have done a few things better (more weapons, bigger skill tree, more combat moves, bigger maps, better voice acting/animations), but almost every game can improve on those catagories in some way. To me, it's very fun, very replayable, and well worth the money.
  18. Apr 27, 2013
    Dead Island was a good game and what it lacks voice synchronization and lacking dialogue it makes up for in playability. Even though this has not been worked out in Dead Island Riptide it still had the playability and replay ability and for those zombie fans who want to survive you will definitely love this series. If they continue the series the only thing that deep silver will have toDead Island was a good game and what it lacks voice synchronization and lacking dialogue it makes up for in playability. Even though this has not been worked out in Dead Island Riptide it still had the playability and replay ability and for those zombie fans who want to survive you will definitely love this series. If they continue the series the only thing that deep silver will have to work on is the voice syncing and dialogue. Expand
  19. Apr 27, 2013
    The game is great. Story is a bit short and predictable, but it's a fun game of zombie slaying. It's a great thing that Deep Silver puted in new zombies/
  20. Apr 27, 2013
    If you loved the first game, borderlands or fallout, you'll love this, if it doesn't mean I have to wait 6 years for a brand new massive zombie game I'm happy, loving riptide and will continue too, too many reviews seem to have forgotten the developers have come out and said it was more of the same from the first announcement.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!
  21. Apr 28, 2013
    Loved the first one. Love the "second." Have not encountered any glitches yet and I'm over halfway through.

If you're an unapologetic zombie enthusiast like me living in and loving the golden age of everything zombie, then you should definitely at least give it a go. Far grittier and survival-centric than most zombie games, and the attention to detail in some things (surprisingly common-sense at times) is a breath of fresh air for the genre.
  22. Apr 30, 2013
    Riptide is the sequel that dead island needs.

I had mixed opinions of the first game some things were bad some were good but Riptied is brilliant and it fixes some of the things that weren't that good about the first. There is not texture problems like in the first, less lag ,weapons are more balanced guns and headshots do more damage and zombies are a bit more easy to kill not
    Riptide is the sequel that dead island needs.

There is not texture problems like in the first, less lag ,weapons are more balanced guns and headshots do more damage and zombies are a bit more easy to kill not like the first game. plus the game has some good replayability.

The bad things are the health and stamina is still not the best and there were a lack of beaches one thing I liked about the first was the beautiful beaches and the story got a bit rushed at the end the final boss was not that good.

Over all Riptide is a brilliant game and I hope to see more of the dead island franchise.

23. Apr 30, 2013
    Dead Island is one of THE best video games EVER created. Dead Island: Riptide, thank the lord, continues in the same brilliant fashion. Everything that I loved about Dead Island made it through to this amazing game. So yes, I am very happy to confirm that if you loved the first then this is a must-have. You need this game, ASAP. It is, same as the first, a masterpiece. Perfection. TechlandDead Island is one of THE best video games EVER created. Dead Island: Riptide, thank the lord, continues in the same brilliant fashion. Everything that I loved about Dead Island made it through to this amazing game. So yes, I am very happy to confirm that if you loved the first then this is a must-have. You need this game, ASAP. It is, same as the first, a masterpiece. Perfection. Techland and Deep Silver, thank you very much, Riptide is exactly the follow-up that I wanted. Your game rocks! Expand
  24. May 2, 2013
    This game is great. As a huge Left 4 Dead fan, I always wished they'd go open world with that franchise. Dead Island Riptide is currently the closest you can get to get to that reality: open-world zombie co-op at its finest (plus vehicles!).

As much as this is a bit of a copy/paste job from the original Dead Island, the map is huge with lots of diverse environments. My favorite of these are the tunnels. The developers have done great work with lighting (or darkness I should say), making the flashlight necessary to see anything. Firing up flares from right-D-pad when you've got to dig in and fight the horde is both epic and satisfying. The tunnels make me feel like I'm playing a co-op Fallout level (another dream of mine). There's just nothing more fun than exploring new areas, closing doors as zombies bear down on you, and scavenging like a fiend.

The combat is completely fun too. I use the alternate control scheme, which uses left trigger to plant your feet and the right stick then controls your melee weapon, swinging it in whichever direction you swing the stick. I highly recommend this. It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is very intuitive. It brings a whole element of knocking zombies off-balance and exploiting their weaknesses. I honestly would love it if the Elder Scrolls were to adopt these controls, as I think they are ideal for hand-to-hand first-person combat. My buddy is rocking the gun-focused character, and his setup is ridiculous. He packs his weapon wheel full of guns except for the last slot, in which he has his machete. The kid throws down! He never reloads, just switches to the next gun with RB until he has run through his entire weapon wheel and he enters the fray with his blade. It's a sight to behold.

In short, I love this game. It's simple fun, sure. It has it's shortcomings (namely the over-use of the X button: it's used for so many things that pressing X to slurp down an energy drink for some much needed sustenance can result in you jumping off of a safe landing onto a zombie in an infested ditch, turning a bad situation into a worse one). But the game is GOOD. I recommend it to anyone who games with friends, anyone who loves exploring an expansive map from a first-person perspective, or anyone who enjoys the sound of a sledgehammer making contact with a zombie skull.
  25. May 11, 2013
    This is the best zombie game you can buy now ,this is what the first game should have be from the start
    if you like zombie splatter blood this is the game for you. love it
  26. May 16, 2013
    This game takes every thing the first one was and turns it up to 11! If you loved the first one the Second one is a no brainer to get. New Weapons? Check. New Zombies? Check! The visuals are amazing and the island is beautiful. And the multiplayer set up is amazing if you have a blutooth! Do it, get it!
  27. May 27, 2013
    I was wary about buying this, as even though I loved the first game, this had really bad reviews. Have been so glad I purchased this, spent a lot of time playing this game, doing the side quests, the achievements etc and had nothing but a blast.

As other people have said, if you were a fan of the first, you will love this, if you didn't, you wont.
  28. Dec 23, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide brings a fresh and exciting new adventure to fans, which feels more polished while adding some new fun gaming mechanics. Although their are some gaming issue e.g. freezes and sound issues it rarely takes away from the experience. Walking around a graphically improved island killing Zombies NEVER gets old, especially with a group of friends. One down side is Dead islandDead Island Riptide brings a fresh and exciting new adventure to fans, which feels more polished while adding some new fun gaming mechanics. Although their are some gaming issue e.g. freezes and sound issues it rarely takes away from the experience. Walking around a graphically improved island killing Zombies NEVER gets old, especially with a group of friends. One down side is Dead island riptide has a small map compared to the massive original dead island, along with the campaign. I believe Dead island Riptide tells a better story and has more intense crisis points which makes the game more exciting, leaving you compelled to complete the lengthy game. Overall I would recommended this game to dead island or zombies fans, you will get your moneys worth! Expand
  29. Jul 3, 2013
    okee so. I gave it a 8 because I loved the first dead island and liked this one. I just wish there was some more change between the two and the amount of glitches aren't acceptable in my opinion. being able to have a "home base" and interact with your allies is pretty cool. just wish your allies could actually come with you and help you out a bit more. would also be cool if you couldokee so. I gave it a 8 because I loved the first dead island and liked this one. I just wish there was some more change between the two and the amount of glitches aren't acceptable in my opinion. being able to have a "home base" and interact with your allies is pretty cool. just wish your allies could actually come with you and help you out a bit more. would also be cool if you could upgrade your home base more than just putting up a fence and electrifying it. pretty easy to find good weapons and upgrade them. cool that you can do favors for your allies and make they're weapons better but doesn't really matter because they still suck at fighting and cant help you except for the main base battles. none the less I will always be a dead island fan so thumbs up. will be excited for the next release. Expand
  30. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is a great improvement over it's predecessor from 2011. The developers have fixed most of the bugs that have carried over from Dead Island 1 however some still remain but do not effect the complete game.

This game is amazing, I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in Zombies.
  31. Sep 15, 2013
    Dead Island is one of those series where I don't want anything different in the sequels, as far as gameplay is concerned at least. The only significant differences in Riptide is that it takes place around water and that you have a new character to play as. The rest is the same or highly similar to the original. My only complaint is that I wish the game had taken place in a different kindDead Island is one of those series where I don't want anything different in the sequels, as far as gameplay is concerned at least. The only significant differences in Riptide is that it takes place around water and that you have a new character to play as. The rest is the same or highly similar to the original. My only complaint is that I wish the game had taken place in a different kind of environment, I'm a bit tired of jungles by now. A desert or northern wintry area would have been more interesting. Apart from that great fun. If you loved the original you will like this one too. Expand

1. Games Master UK
    May 30, 2013
    Serviceable co-op romp which goes out of its way to irritate. [July 2013, p.72]
  2. May 29, 2013
    The combat and weapons are fun and the levelling systems keep things interesting and give an air of replayability to the title if your Xbox is starting to get a little dusty. If we see a third instalment though, the game needs to step up a little to keep up with the competition.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide is an unnecessary addition to the franchise and it has nothing to offer when compared to the first title of the series. Two years was a long time for a company like Techland to improve upon the experience of Dead Island, but nothing was done about it.