6.4

1. Apr 23, 2013
    Even worse than the first game.I don't really understand how that's possible.Combat mechanics are even more broken than before,and how about that 2 second rain glitch?Funny stuff.Besides the poor visuals and sound design,and the laughable combat,the voice work is the worst I've heard in some time,probably since the last Dead Island actually.If I was the developers,I'd be embarrassed to release this half-finished(at best) abomination,and would strike it from my resume.I don't care about time constraints,budgets and development problems,this game is not nearly finished enough and I almost binned it instead of returning it.Pathetic...Congratulations on receiving my first zero. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    This is almost too awful. I am bewildered with this high rating this has received. Dead Island was a half ass game with many bugs and an awful story, but it was filled with enough action to make it a kinda game. I wanna ask what they were thinking when they were beginning for part two. I didn't buy Riptide for a couple months because I wasn't interested and I had other games to play, but eventually I got to it. I played this with a friend and it still was god awful. With all the bugs and animations in the world in this one game, you could tell I wasn't having fun. Plus most of the action was gone. Now the zombies seem like more of a distraction from getting a f***ing boat engine. Basically no new or unique weapons and we get a s****y map compared to an alright one in the original. This game must have taken a week to make because I see no effort here. I have never given a 0 before but this game takes the cake for worst game of 2013 so far. Expand
  3. Oct 24, 2013
    I was really looking forward to Riptide as Dead Island was a real blast for me. Sadly the sequel is woeful in every way possible. The controls seem more cumbersome, the environments are dour and the missions are beyond tedious. A significant and surprising step back from the original in which Riptide wouldn't even be satisfactory for a DLC add-on.

This is one of the worst sequels in
    videogames I've seen. I'd skip this and wait for Dying Light on the next gen. Just don't waste your time or money on this shambles. Expand
  4. Jun 29, 2013
    Dead Island was a decent game, Deep Silver thought that they could re-use the old half decent formula and get a good product, let me tell you, this is by far way worse than the original game.
    - Overpriced
    - Repetitive
    - Boring
    + More Dead Island
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    I really had fun with the first game and I completed it to 100%. The thing is, Riptide is just a crappy version of the original. Game is a buggy mess that runs and looks worse than the first game. I just dont have the time or patience to waist on this mess.
  6. Jun 23, 2013
    I am just disappointed with this one. The reason I give this game such a low score is because it is the SAME EXACT THING AS THE FIRST. Almost nothing changes with this game, Its almost even the same plot, the first games plot: stuck on an island, trying to get off. Second games plot: stuck on an island, trying to get off. There is nothing new with the combat either except for different variety in weapon upgrades. All they added was a new character and this rage mode where your attacks are stronger and faster. Also the game just feels depressing overall with some gloomy music in the background, and you know how long games are good, playing this made me wish it was over with, and it went on for such a long time that it annoyed the out of me. I just don't like this game, way too similar to the first game, should of been some kind of expensive DLC. Expand
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    this game should have never been sold as a new game, this is an DLC being sold at full blown price disguised as a whole new game, but new? this is a copy paste of the previous game, bugs and glitches that we all hated are back, the story was never great but was ok on the fist game but on this one story well...... theres barely nothing to hold on. no innovation, technically plagues by issues, dull and two steps backwards from the first game. my advice, buy the FIRST GAME, its cheap by now and better!! Expand
  8. May 1, 2013
    This game is bad in so many ways... and to try and explain them away by saying it's not intended to be a good story or the best shooter is ridiculous. Here's some reason why it's awful: - Way too similar to the first one - Graphics so jittery it gives you motion sickness with the water effects - No real changes to combat just a few new weapons - All missions the same - Glitchy to the moon... You'll see zombies fall through things to outright missing physical hits practically point blank with weapons. On one mission I was trying to find the last few assaulting enemies and the dots would spread away every time I headed toward them. Eventually I realized they were stuck on a roof and I had to run outside of the safe zone to get them to drop and attach so I could finish them off

I played this all the way through anyway to see if anything at all was nifty about it and the only real cool part (IMO) was the ending fight with the last boss. Other than that it was pretty cruddy all the way through and I had no interest it trying to get all the acheivements.

Since none of my friends kept it (used return policy at EB to get rid of it pretty much full price right away) I can't comment on the multiplayer part of it but I would never go back to it to bother anyway.

The first one was worth a shot and had a bad story but still made a fun time. This one makes me head for gravol. Avoid and if Grandma gets it for you for your birthday avoid her too.
  9. Apr 25, 2013
    Poorly optimized for consoles, micro stuttering, lag, slow downs, bugs, game breaking glitches, unbalanced characters and skills, too much camera sway to give someone a headache, slow sluggish movements, rigid collision meshes means getting stuck on simple planks of wood or small steps and areas that should feel smooth not stop you every 3 seconds from running, combat is sluggish and unresponsive, coop players cant run through each other so players get blocked and stuck then killed, outdated visuals and graphics, story and voice acting is terrible, same with the 3d models and animations the only thing that makes this game fake a good look is the post process effects...the list can go on further.

This is a pure example of developers not caring about QA of a game and for the time it took to make...not even a full game, this is complete garbage and indy developers put dev's like this to shame.

for those reasons above, I'm sure you would also give this game a 1...and that's being generous.
  10. May 29, 2013
    I don't understand why publisher's these days get to keep releasing games for $50-60 and they're not done, polished or QCd. After playing this game for a few minutes the sound completely dropped out. Dashboarding helped that problem, but when my friend who was playing had the same thing happen at the same point that seems to be a glaring problem. Also zombies respawn in thin air, if you're fighting in the water the game slows down to a crawl and I could go on and on. Expand
  11. Jun 12, 2013
    Okay this game is basically like the first one same concept just a slight change in missions still an okay game but i recommend the first one this is just boring
  12. Apr 28, 2013
    After playing Dead Island Riptide for the first two hours... I can already say it is a regretted purchase. It is a rare occasion when a sequel title to an extremely successful game not only fails to correct any shortcomings to the original, but actually surpasses the number by adding even more to the mix. Combat has been tinkered into a new formula seeming to rely more on aim and less on random numbers. Aside from this, expect little to no further originality to gameplay except 4 additional points in the skill tree (to which affects are hardly mentionable), a weapon type leveling system, and two harshly clunky mechanics; one of which is activated by using the same button that is used to loot (a brilliant idea which makes for some hilariously interesting attempts at looting something and inversely sending your character auto-lock careening after an unforeseen foe... Which also usually results in your character snagging on to some clingy graphic edges, and subsequently "stunning" them midair as they attempt to hover back to the ground, inches below their feet). Cut scenes, so far, have also seen slim to non on improvements as well. Audio misques are still normal, and at some points, characters even interrupt each other, predicting the other characters lines and start talking over them. All in all, I suppose if you didn't get enough of the first one, you will enjoy this game, but in a genre where others are running with this similar idea and being wildly successful at delivering fun and original content, I'm looking at you Borderlands 2, this game sadly falls short of expectations. I will still play through it, for the sake of playing a game with my brother and potentially having a good time (the formula isn't so monotonous yet that it's tedious, however it might be by the time I finish). Overall, it just feels like a beta phase testing release. There is still so much work to be done on this game, and it is so painfully obvious, there is no way they couldn't have known; the creators just got lazy for the sake of pushing a potentially great sequel through the pipelines before it was ready.

Oh, one last final note... I stand corrected, driving a car feels much more enjoyable in Riptide... However this is not because they improved upon the horrible handle controls reminiscent of a hover boat. It is more due to the fact that mowing down hordes of zombies actually grants a successful kill MOST of the time... Rather than reversing and driving back and fourth over the same zombie 20 times to secure the kill.

1. May 30, 2013
    Serviceable co-op romp which goes out of its way to irritate. [July 2013, p.72]
  2. May 29, 2013
    The combat and weapons are fun and the levelling systems keep things interesting and give an air of replayability to the title if your Xbox is starting to get a little dusty. If we see a third instalment though, the game needs to step up a little to keep up with the competition.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide is an unnecessary addition to the franchise and it has nothing to offer when compared to the first title of the series. Two years was a long time for a company like Techland to improve upon the experience of Dead Island, but nothing was done about it.