• Publisher: Tecmo
  • Release Date: Dec 29, 2005
8.3

1. Feb 25, 2012
    Wow, really surprise, this version of Dead or Alive is the better, the graphics are incredible, the story, the characters, all in DOA 4 is fantastic. And the online is really amazing. I love it.
  2. Mar 22, 2012
    This is my favorite fighting game of all time. I was there when Team Ninja released Dead or Alive 3 on the original Xbox at launch, and I played it everyday. The incredible countering system got me to play more and more just to master each characters movements and play-styles. Now, DOA4 rises to the challenge and delivers a crisp, fast paced fighter that is pretty much perfect. I have aThis is my favorite fighting game of all time. I was there when Team Ninja released Dead or Alive 3 on the original Xbox at launch, and I played it everyday. The incredible countering system got me to play more and more just to master each characters movements and play-styles. Now, DOA4 rises to the challenge and delivers a crisp, fast paced fighter that is pretty much perfect. I have a few gripes however that made me give it a 9/10. THERE AREN'T ENOUGH MODES. WE NEED MORE FIGHTERS. That's it. Otherwise, DOA4 is a very unique fighter that will keep fans happy and newcomers posted for more. Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2011
    6 Word Review from Familiar Fan: Raises the bar for DOA fans. If you're a DOA fan returning to DOA, many aspects will be familiar to you. Attacks, grabs, and holds have all carried over from the other DOA games; and you will be familiar with those mechanics. Most of your combos you used from the previous DOA game should carry over to DOA 4, but that isn't a guarantee. However, there are6 Word Review from Familiar Fan: Raises the bar for DOA fans. If you're a DOA fan returning to DOA, many aspects will be familiar to you. Attacks, grabs, and holds have all carried over from the other DOA games; and you will be familiar with those mechanics. Most of your combos you used from the previous DOA game should carry over to DOA 4, but that isn't a guarantee. However, there are some new additions. Beside new characters, some characters not returning, and new/modified move lists there are bigger additions. Some sort of "rebound" mechanic as been added to combat, most characters have a "sub-stance" in their move list and the final boss might seem cheap when compared to DOA 3 or even DOA 2 boss. IF you're new to the DOA series, the game mechanics aren't impossible to learn in DOA 4, but WITHOUT an EASY mode and practicing only on AI will cause learning game mechanics to be challenging, but not impossible. If you have a buddy with DOA 4, 3 or even DOA 2 Ultimate play Versus with their copy and see if you can pick up the game mechanics from them. That way, they will pose a challenge yet can tone it down in difficulty when needed. If you didn't pick up game mechanics when versing with them, don't try the series. Expand

If looks could kill, DOA4 would be called Murderer's Row. This game is beautiful; even while you're beating the tar out of your opponent, you'll notice that your surroundings are among the finest you've seen in any fighting game... Hands down the best installment in the series. [Jan 2006, p.38]
    The counter system is less forgiving and will definitely challenge fans of the series, especially those fond of DOA3. This affects every other area of the game. The harder characters to master are even more powerful now, and there is more of a ground game, in addition to careful use of the backgrounds.
    It's still "just" a fighting game, albeit an incredibly polished and finessed fighting game, but it won't open your eyes to things you've never seen before. It will bring the fighting game community together, however, thanks to its online functionality, and that's a good thing.