Dead Rising 2: Case Zero Xbox 360

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Aug 31, 2010
7.9

1. Sep 4, 2010
    For five dollars, you get to make Darth Maul like paddle chainsaws, which are awesome and corny at the same time, but mostly awesome. You also get to cleave hundreds of zombies with Broadswords, and smash them with nail covered bats. Not much of a plot, but gets you acquainted with the controls, gives your character a boost in stats, and serves as a great hook.

or... For five dollars,

or...

For five dollars, you can get a large slice of cheese pizza and a small soda.

I choose the zombie killing.
  2. Sep 7, 2010
    Average game.

Average game.

Building weapons is interesting but limited. Not really as vast as it claims.. A few meaningful combos only... Dull Story. And most importantly, doesn't offer a 100% satisfying combat/gameplay. Yes, you can wander and discover 'Still Creek' town but so what? It's not interesting and it's dull. Personally, nothing feels as good as Left 4 Dead 1/2 when it comes to shooting zombies although I know it's a different style but you can't help but compare if you played both. DR2: Case Zero is just another zombie-shooter, whilst it tries to distinguish itself in this genre, it's still not enough. It's not a matter of money (5$ or even if it was for free), it's a matter of time and with all hot stuff coming up now and in the next 6 months, time is of essence. Regards

Note: For those comparing its price with Limbo's: Limbo is a unique & distinguished game. Nothing really compares to it nowadays. It's short: true. it's expensive: true. But anyone holding a controller should try it. It's psychological, it's gorgeous and it's disturbing sometimes. Excellent game.
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    I'm sorry, but the producers/developers obviously seem intent on ruining another dead rising.

Why do Psychopaths battles have to be in this game? It makes no sense how they can withstand 30 sniper rounds to the chest. Its extremely unsatisfying having so much fun only to have the inevitable random lunatic turn up and make you want to pull your hair out - Why can he me from so far away with a shotgun when I can't shoot enemies from the same distance? Magic shells? If you're going to put in these bosses, make them monsters or something, at least then it might make sense why they are so powerful.

Also, why can't the survivors actually speak when you approach them, instead of sifting through text while zombies limber up behind you? Is that supposed to make the game more challenging, well if the challenge is for me to smash my xbox off the wall then they have exceeded. Thoroughly irritating.

Underneath these problems lies a great game - its hard not enjoy yourself with so much variety (limited in case zero, but its only 400msp) and is as much fun as any zombie fan could ever ask for. Its just such a pity they spoiled it.
  4. Sep 2, 2010
    Dead Rising: Case Zero is a strange beast, while many are arguing it is a demo you have to pay for, while I can understand this argument, it is a stand alone prologue to Dead Rising 2 with achievements, and a whole independent storyline setting up for the full game release. I thoroughly enjoyed Case Zero. It is meant to be played through multiple times which is fine as it only lasts 2Dead Rising: Case Zero is a strange beast, while many are arguing it is a demo you have to pay for, while I can understand this argument, it is a stand alone prologue to Dead Rising 2 with achievements, and a whole independent storyline setting up for the full game release. I thoroughly enjoyed Case Zero. It is meant to be played through multiple times which is fine as it only lasts 2 hours and you can do different things during each playthrough. The time limit your first play through it brutal, once you are familiar with the town and objectives it is easy to achieve every objective in one play through (I did on my second). The gameplay is almost the exact of the original dead rising with a improvements, the graphics leave something to be desired but this in an "arcade" release. The new weapons are fun, and the item combo system while limited is fun. Picking up a broadsword and just hacking through masses of zombies never gets old. There are some mediocre platform elements (climbing up to roofs) but not enough to ruin the game. There are multiple endings, and easy achievements to boot. Overall this game is a good set up for the full retail Dead Rising 2 this month, however it is limited, but well worth the $5. Expand
  5. Sep 10, 2010
    Graphics aside, this is great! Ridiculously cheap for so much gameplay! Theres a time limit so it takes a few play-through's to get all the achievements, this would be a big problem if it wasn't so much fun, wasn't going to buy Dead Rising 2, but now I DEFINITELY am!
  6. Sep 1, 2010
    Meet Chuck Greene. He's trying to save his daughter from being infected, among other things. He has to go to point A and bring item back to point B. Also rescue people, because he's a nice guy.
    That's the story. The prologue's story sucks, I'll admit. The added 4 endings, with one "True" ending is nice, but whatever.
    Buy this game now though because it is FUN. Take Dead Rising 1. Give you
    Buy this game now though because it is FUN.
    Take Dead Rising 1. Give you 1/10th the time limit. Give you the same amount of weapons PLUS weapon combos. Insert thousands of zombies. You have to add and subtract here and there, but you end up with one solid game.
    Seriously, this game is better than a demo, because it gives you a full case (level) to play through, and you can carry over progress. It gives you 200 more achievement points, some extra backstory, and hours of replayability. I can play through this entire game in one sitting nice and quick and then go do something else. Perfect to show a friend

If you like zombie stuff, this game's worth the 5 dollars. Let's compare it to critically acclaimed game "Limbo". 1/3 the price. Same 200 achievement points. Limbo is maybe twice as long on your first playthrough (whereas you get better when you know where you'll die and the game gets quicker). Limbo is linear, whereas DR2 has multiple endings and a sanboxy enough feel to just go about finding new ways to kill zombies.

If you can buy any of the Summer of Arcade games this summer, then you can definitely afford this. Stop whining that it's a glorified demo. It's awesome. Buy it. Go make your Electric Rake and have some fun.
  7. Sep 1, 2010
    Well overall its a pretty sweet game has a good replayability of it (even after playing it like 8 times just to level up and get all the achievements and get to level 5). but i will just do the pro and con thing to explain it a little more clearly of what i think.

Pro: A little taste of what to come for dead rising 2 Combo Weapons Zombie killing Sample of a Boss fight only 400

Pro:
    A little taste of what to come for dead rising 2
    Combo Weapons
    Zombie killing
    Sample of a Boss fight only 400 points for what you get in case zero is actually not as bad price.
    Can be played over and over

Cons:
    Really short gameplay (1 hour to do all the missions or mess around each story you start)
    very short and not that many cases (you go through the cases extremely Quick)
    not that many weapons or items (i guess its a demo right)
    Some Bugs in the game ( i noticed some freezing as well bugs with zombie's and a couple other things)
    Small Map Few survivors to save 1 boss to fight
    level 5 Cap

Well thats pretty much it for the pros and Cons for dead rising Case Zero i think they should have made it a Bit longer and the Map a bit bigger just to get your moneys worth out of it. Other than that i think its a pretty good game well worth the 5 bucks for the game. Its definetly worth getting if your wanting to get dead rising 2 or are so you can get a little more of a feel for the new character Chuck Greene and sample things like Combo Weapons, Improvements in the game and just an overall feel of what to expect when you go to fortune city in Dead rising 2.
  8. Sep 16, 2010
    Dead Rising: Case Zero is short, but sweet, wetting your apatite ready for the full game release sometime next month. Here we see new character 'Chuck Greene' take to the stage as we're given a small taste of what Dead Rising 2 has to offer. There are still problems; the time limit is as tight as ever and survivor AI is still not 100% up-to-scratch, but regardless, for 400MS points, youDead Rising: Case Zero is short, but sweet, wetting your apatite ready for the full game release sometime next month. Here we see new character 'Chuck Greene' take to the stage as we're given a small taste of what Dead Rising 2 has to offer. There are still problems; the time limit is as tight as ever and survivor AI is still not 100% up-to-scratch, but regardless, for 400MS points, you can't ask for much more. Zombies are everywhere, just waiting to be killed with the plentiful of weapons lying around. Objects are combinable (which serves as Chuck's main gimmick throughout Dead Rising 2), survivors need saving and there's even an exclusive boss fight with new psychopath, 'Jed.' People may complain what we're getting here is a charged demo, though with exclusive characters, missions and environments not to be found in the final game, it's certainly worth the asking price. Besides, for those unsure there's always the trial. Expand
  9. Sep 14, 2010
    Value for dollar you get so much here that it would be a shame to pass it up if you were a Dead Rising fan. I've payed 1200 points for games that last 1/4 as long and that weren't nearly as good either. Best game on XBLA, for sure.
  10. Sep 14, 2010
    No offense, but JackyBeans has no concept of what a good game is with a rating of 5/10 for this and 9/10 for Kane and Lynch 2. They also don't seem to get the concept that this is a MINI $5 PREQUEL to the full game that comes out on September 28th. Amazing update to the original game. Great weapons combo system. Increased zombie count from 800 to 7000 on screen at once. What's not toNo offense, but JackyBeans has no concept of what a good game is with a rating of 5/10 for this and 9/10 for Kane and Lynch 2. They also don't seem to get the concept that this is a MINI $5 PREQUEL to the full game that comes out on September 28th. Amazing update to the original game. Great weapons combo system. Increased zombie count from 800 to 7000 on screen at once. What's not to love? Dead Rising is back, baby! Expand
  11. Sep 15, 2010
    I havent played the original Dead Rising, so I can base this review on THIS game without comparing it. $5.00 is underpriced for a great game that has so much to offer; Combinable weapons, multiple endings, and much to do. It has a little puzzle to it, driving, action, and adventure. It is great all around. Here are some cons though. So much zombies in one area can be fun for a challenge,I havent played the original Dead Rising, so I can base this review on THIS game without comparing it. $5.00 is underpriced for a great game that has so much to offer; Combinable weapons, multiple endings, and much to do. It has a little puzzle to it, driving, action, and adventure. It is great all around. Here are some cons though. So much zombies in one area can be fun for a challenge, but really annoying, especially if you are trying to save somebody. An abundent source of health when versing Jed, and I also feel the game kind of rushes you your first time around. A bit more time wouldnt have been bad to play. Expand
  12. ccc
    Sep 22, 2010
    Dead Rising 2 Case Zero is a step in the right direction for Capcom, hell it is a step in the right direction for the industry in general and ultimately how companies will rethink the handling of digital content in general.
    The first thing I have to cover with this game is the amazing price of 5.00. This is with ease one of the best deals to come along in the xblm in some time. At a price like this with such huge success in sales I really hope other developers take a page out of Capcom's strategic book and attempt to follow suit.
    The game itself puts you in the shoes of a new hero by the name of Chuck Greene.
    He is thrust into this world of zombies and given the task of protecting his young daughter who is somewhere in the age group of 4 or 5 year olds. The story is great and will leave you craving the retail release of Dead Rising 2 to get more. That is all I wanna say about Case 0's story.
    Another great feature the game totes is a leveling system to give it mild rpg elements and the ability to transfer your level to the DR2 game when it is released. You are capped off at level 5 in Case 0 but the inclusion of this feature is great and only has graced a few games in the past, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 and Mass effect 1 and 2 come to mind.
    This is a game where time is your main enemy but thankfully the game also sports the game plus feature witch will allow you to restart the game with your existing stats and money. Thus creating a replay level that is off the charts. Once you get to know where everything is and when, where and what to do, I found it still just addictive to constantly beat the game over and over again.
    Gameplay wise the game is simple and could even be considered casual for anyone from beginners to advanced players finding enjoyment in destroying zombies and what not.
    Graphically the game looks great but I found it to not run as smooth as Dead Rising 1 but this is an arcade game we are talking about here and not a retail game so some forgiveness is applied.
    The sounds are great from the moaning and groaning of the zombies to the tender sounds of smashing a brick in said zombies faces.
    One of the more serious gripes I have about the game is the B button and trying to get it to lock on to what you want it to lock on to but even this is a small complaint but no matter what it will happen to the best of us in a game of Case 0 here and there.
    I gotta say this is a great game and for the price an amazing game really for all types of gamers out there and I highly recommend it to anyone that is an active member of Xbox Live.
  13. Oct 16, 2010
    Fun for a while, but bored to bored passing 15 min, i dont really recommend this arcade, small city and nothing to do, maybe its a good buy only if you are not sure to buy the complete game dead rising 2, And most importantly, doesn't offer a 100% satisfying combat/gameplay. Yes, you can wander and discover 'Still Creek' town but so what? It's not interesting and it's dull.
  14. Oct 29, 2010
    Dead Rising 2: Case Zero provides you with a quick look into the full Dead Rising 2 game will be like. Case Zero is quite short and you have to be time cautious the entire time. However, the awesome custom weapons and trolley bins will keep you drawn into the zombie killing affair for quite some time. For such a fairly simple game, we found some great depth too, as you find survivorsDead Rising 2: Case Zero provides you with a quick look into the full Dead Rising 2 game will be like. Case Zero is quite short and you have to be time cautious the entire time. However, the awesome custom weapons and trolley bins will keep you drawn into the zombie killing affair for quite some time. For such a fairly simple game, we found some great depth too, as you find survivors around and get them to help you on your quest to kick zombie arse! Definitely look into this purchase if you are unsure about buying the full DR2 game! Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2011
    This has to be the most surprising game i've ever downloaded from Xbox Live, it acts as a prequel to Dead Rising 2, even though I bought this after I bought Dead Rising 2 I liked this better, the gameplay is awesome, it may be pretty short but the high replay value easily makes up for this, the story is awesome, I really cared about Chuck and his daughter Katey and their fates, yourThis has to be the most surprising game i've ever downloaded from Xbox Live, it acts as a prequel to Dead Rising 2, even though I bought this after I bought Dead Rising 2 I liked this better, the gameplay is awesome, it may be pretty short but the high replay value easily makes up for this, the story is awesome, I really cared about Chuck and his daughter Katey and their fates, your getting tons of gameplay for only 400 Microsoft points ($4.99), there I really can't find a flaw with this game, every bit deserving of a perfect 10, this is a must buy. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2013
    This is a $5 trial for Dead Rising 2, but it's well worth the price tag. The game gives you access to 10 of the retail games build-able weapons and a story that shows the beginning of the drastic change in Chucks's life that results from the Zombie outbreak he is fleeing from. While the game takes place maybe 2 years before the retail game, it is a short glimpse at what is to come for bothThis is a $5 trial for Dead Rising 2, but it's well worth the price tag. The game gives you access to 10 of the retail games build-able weapons and a story that shows the beginning of the drastic change in Chucks's life that results from the Zombie outbreak he is fleeing from. While the game takes place maybe 2 years before the retail game, it is a short glimpse at what is to come for both Chuck and the player. If you like this then there is no reason not to grab DR2. Expand
  17. Feb 21, 2015
    Dead Rising 2: Case Zero is a decent experience on the Xbox 360. While not perfect, it provides just enough to justify playing Dead Rising 2. The gameplay is quite good, also.

1. games(TM)
    A strange beast. [Issue#100, p.132]
  2. An interesting halfway house between demo and full game, whose brevity may even save it from some of the criticisms of the main release.
  3. For such a short game, there's quite a bit of fun to be had in Dead Rising: Case Zero. This is a definite improvement over the first title (plus you can actually read the font on a standard definition TV this time around) and has me completely excited for Dead Rising 2.