• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Aug 8, 2006
7.7

1. Apr 23, 2011
    i had alot of fun with this game and have spent many house just sand boxing it trying to find fun ways to kill zombies which this game gives you alot of ways to do it. the story is pretty good having it start off as you a photographer being helicoptered into a city to try and find out whats going on. you are limeted to being only inside a mall . it would have been nice if you had a wholei had alot of fun with this game and have spent many house just sand boxing it trying to find fun ways to kill zombies which this game gives you alot of ways to do it. the story is pretty good having it start off as you a photographer being helicoptered into a city to try and find out whats going on. you are limeted to being only inside a mall . it would have been nice if you had a whole city to play in. there are alot of wepons and i do mean alot . the save feature is abit of a chore and i think they could have done better . also the game is pretty hard at first it will probubly take you awhile to figure things out. i also wish they had just a free mode where you could just have fun killing zombies with no restrictions . all in all i found dead rising a real fun and great sand boxing game . if they had added 4 player co op this probubly would have been a 10 . valve should take notice at alot of the things that DR has done so when they ever make a L4D 3 game they can make it so its not a short repetitive piece of crap. Expand
  2. Sep 6, 2010
    While Dead Rising isn't perfect, the story should have been optional, as it was generic and frustrating at times, the core gameplay-going round a shopping mall whilt murdering zombies, is a real treat and a lot of fun. There are countless ways too off the fiends, smashing a plant pot over there heads, running them through with a chainsaw- the ace katana. The endless possibilities make itWhile Dead Rising isn't perfect, the story should have been optional, as it was generic and frustrating at times, the core gameplay-going round a shopping mall whilt murdering zombies, is a real treat and a lot of fun. There are countless ways too off the fiends, smashing a plant pot over there heads, running them through with a chainsaw- the ace katana. The endless possibilities make it essential.A must-have. Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apparently, people don't see good games when they play it. The main objective of the game is to remain alive inside the zombie-infested mall for at least three days, after which help will arrive via chartered helicopter. Time in the game passes twelve times faster than real-time (i.e. one day in-game is two hours in real time); therefore, the game automatically concludes after six hours of gameplay when time runs out. In addition to this primary objective, the player is free to choose whether or not to pursue any of the game's secondary objectives such as rescuing survivors or defeating Psychopaths, normal human beings who have gone violently insane, usually as a result of stress caused by the apparent apocalypse. These "psychopaths", as the game calls them collectively, often hold human hostages who can be rescued for large bonuses, as well as powerful weapons or items which reappear each time the player returns to the place where he or she defeated the psychopath, thereby allowing players to collect multiple copies of the same Psychopath's weapon. As Frank West, the player attempts to uncover the truth behind the zombie epidemic by completing "case files" that reveal the central game plot as they are completed. Completing case files by accomplishing specific tasks or by being "in the right place at the right time" to reveal cutscenes.

Dead Rising does not prevent players from ignoring all missions, because the game has multiple endings, including endings that require no missions to be completed. Once players have passed a certain point at the beginning of the game they have complete free rein and can do whatever they please: save or kill other survivors, wander aimlessly through the mall, sampling food and trying on clothes, or simply kill zombies. Several of the game's 50 Achievements even reward this method of play. The "Zombie Genocide" achievement, for example, requires the killing of at least 53,594 zombies in a single play-through and then completing the game with any ending; a task that has proven so far to be impossible to do while also completing the main storyline Cases, due to time constraints. A counter at the bottom right corner of the screen helps the player keep track of how many zombies have been killed.

The setting of Dead Rising, the fictional Willamette Parkview Mall, is modeled after a stereotypical American mall with multiple floors and several themed sections. The mall includes a roller coaster, supermarket, movie theater, park, and an underground maintenance tunnel system (all filled with zombies). There are six main sections to the mall, each with a variety of shops, each filled with objects which can be used as weapons or to improve Frank's health.

Dead Rising is a great game but the save point and AI ruin it. I play this all the time and it's fun to play all time. Infinity Mode is super fun to play and overall the game is excellent except for the items I just discussed, the save point and AI.
  4. Dec 20, 2010
    I have to confess that I am a huge fan of zombie films and games so it goes without saying that I was literally jumping for joy when I first got this game (I was young, stupid and carefree back then, before the weight of the world crushed me into the man I am today) but this game doesn't really play out like a zombie film (well, the opening sort of does but not really).

The overall plot

The overall plot goes like this: You're Frank West, photojournalist (who's covered wars, you know?) and you've been flown out to a sleepy little town in Colorado to investigate strange goings on (said strange goings on happens to be the undead) and must now fight to survive, find out what's behind the zombies and take amusing and erotic photos of the zombies and survivors.

If you want you can completely bypass the plot, ignore it completely and just go on a psychotic axe murdering spree, try on women's/children's clothing or choose to play hero and rescue everyone (it's completely down to you), however, the game will end in 72 hours (6 hours in reality) and your actions will reflect the ending you get (of which there happen to be a few).

Gameplay is extremely fun, you just go around and kill zombies with anything you can get your journalistic hands on (which turns out to be quite a lot, my personal favourite is the electric guitar) but for some this can get boring after a while and the side missions are held back by the fact that the survivor AI seems to be stupider than the zombies (how exactly did these people survive again?) and said missions tend to have somewhat unforgiving time limits later on in the game (which can be extremely annoying if you're trying for the Saint achievement), this is the kind of game you can kill a few hours with but not the kind of game you can get immersed in for days and weeks (the short length of the game only underlines this fact).

Some people have complained about the difficulty curve but I honestly never had a problem in this regard, this is a common sense game, when you are at level 1 you're not supposed to be running into a horde of zombies, guitar in hand, screaming 'FREEEEEDOOOOM!' before wailing on them. You're facing off against the undead with a journalist, you are not a kung fu master/space marine, you need weapons, healing items, a few levels under your belt and to generally be ready to deal with them before you stand a chance (remember, how many times in zombie films do the protagonists just walk up to a dead guy and punch his face in?). Another thing to take into consideration is that there are obviously fewer safe zones in this game than in Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row (where enemies won't attack until provoked and come in groups of between 1-10), it would seem weird and out of place for the majority of the game world to be safe to traverse in Dead Rising, it's supposed to be a dangerous and life threatening place to be.

Overall, I would recommend Dead Rising to anyone who wants something to pass an evening, zombie fans (UNITE!) or people who find the idea of killing zombies with electric guitars while wearing a pretty pink dress and a lego head to be something they could have fun with.
  5. Jul 8, 2011
    This game is a must own for every Zombie lover, there is tons to do, you can save survivors, fight psychopaths, and just run around and kill zombies with almost everything in the mall, sounds perfect right? not quite, there are some controls issues when using guns, saving survivors is a pain do to the fact that the AI is retarded (they will actually stand in the middle of a crowd ofThis game is a must own for every Zombie lover, there is tons to do, you can save survivors, fight psychopaths, and just run around and kill zombies with almost everything in the mall, sounds perfect right? not quite, there are some controls issues when using guns, saving survivors is a pain do to the fact that the AI is retarded (they will actually stand in the middle of a crowd of zombies and not move or even try to fight back), some of the bosses are overly difficult, the story is as cheesy as it gets, and it can be extremely frustrating, do to the fact that in order to survive you have to level grind in order to gain access to more inventory space, health, and special moves and stat boosts, so you really have to plan ahead, manage your time, health, and inventory space wisely, so you actually have to use a lot of strategy and honestly I think that's what I loved about it, I've also heard complaints about the fact that it only has one save file but that never really caused any problems, and that everything is timed which is part of what makes this game unique, and adds a lot of needed tension, without the time the game would be too easy, honestly I loved this game, while it could have used some checkpoints and it feels like the game is working against you at times, it's just so much fun you just have to come back grind trough more levels, and take on those tough bosses, and save those retarded survivors, and smash the Zombies skulls in some extremely hilarious ways, if you haven't played this game yet I recommend it, it's a ton of fun, has HIGH replay value, and after you beat the story you get a fun survival like mode, honestly I know it sounded like I hated this game, but I didn't, I actually loved it! it's one of the most unique games you'll ever play. Expand
  6. Feb 14, 2011
    The First Dead Rising, and what a game that was. Excellent gameplay, other than the forced time limit. Yes, it's true. You wont be able to complete the game on first try. We've all been there. But the (almost) free exploring makes this game, with all it's weapons that are avaible to crush and kill zomies, an epic journey through Zombie Hell.
  7. Nov 12, 2011
    Great game. The only problem I found was that you can't manually save the game whenever you want. Basically you have to plan out your attack & if you fail just one part then you start all over. Other than that its a pretty challenging game but in a good way. Dead Rising is a great concept for a zombie game & it works well; controls, sound, gameplay. This was definitely a great firstGreat game. The only problem I found was that you can't manually save the game whenever you want. Basically you have to plan out your attack & if you fail just one part then you start all over. Other than that its a pretty challenging game but in a good way. Dead Rising is a great concept for a zombie game & it works well; controls, sound, gameplay. This was definitely a great first installment for the Dead Rising franchise & this one really makes the gamer appreciate what they have changed & how they have progressed. Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2012
    Initially I felt the same about the save problem but as an old-timer I remember having to 'earn'saves in the 90's, so I began to appreciate the challenge. This is a fairly challenging game and I appreciate it as such. Sometimes I want to wander around Oblivion and sometimes I want a set goal with a lot of difficulties in the way of achieving it. The enjoyment lies in discovery of theInitially I felt the same about the save problem but as an old-timer I remember having to 'earn'saves in the 90's, so I began to appreciate the challenge. This is a fairly challenging game and I appreciate it as such. Sometimes I want to wander around Oblivion and sometimes I want a set goal with a lot of difficulties in the way of achieving it. The enjoyment lies in discovery of the weapons, items, skills, and lets not forget the survivors. Structurally there is a narrative divided into sections involving you being at a certain timeand place to advance the story. Normally I hate being pushed around like that, but I enjoyed the game so much I went along with it. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2011
    EXCELLENT. Though it can be the most frustrating thing on the planet, level up a lot and you'll be fine. Even the story was completely brilliant, along with the LOADS of weapons. This game is great and especially if you've had a bad day and want to beat up a bunch of stuff.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    Kiling hordes of zombies with whatever weapon you can get your hands on is so much fun. Breaking into stores and stealing inventory to use to kill said zombies, also fun. The whole concept of the game is highly unique, and with all of the bosses, this game is a tight experience. The only hinderence to the experience is the time system, not that i dont like the idea, its just that theKiling hordes of zombies with whatever weapon you can get your hands on is so much fun. Breaking into stores and stealing inventory to use to kill said zombies, also fun. The whole concept of the game is highly unique, and with all of the bosses, this game is a tight experience. The only hinderence to the experience is the time system, not that i dont like the idea, its just that the amount of time you get lights a fire under your a** and doesnt allow you alot of time for saving people, fighting bosses, and exploring the mall. Expand
  11. Aug 27, 2012
    I love this game zombies in mall wave of wave of zombie psycho enemy saving innocent people from zombies and psycho enemy

doing mission from getting food saving enemy finding out who enemy is!!!!!

i love this game so much i finished it 5 times
  12. Jan 16, 2013
    Back when this was in Tips & Tricks at launch I wanted this game and when I finally got it and played it in 2008, I wasn't disappointed. The A.I. is aggravating, and the shooting mechanic leaves a lot to be desired, but beating a zombie to death with a baseball bat or a bench feels so right. This game has a great story and while getting the true ending avoided my grasps for a week due toBack when this was in Tips & Tricks at launch I wanted this game and when I finally got it and played it in 2008, I wasn't disappointed. The A.I. is aggravating, and the shooting mechanic leaves a lot to be desired, but beating a zombie to death with a baseball bat or a bench feels so right. This game has a great story and while getting the true ending avoided my grasps for a week due to the game not giving any actual direction for it, the ending left you wanting more. The Infinite mode is one of the most fun and irritatingly difficult challenges in gaming, and when I reached 7 days of survival scraping through zombies and bosses with my "secret unlock-able weapon" I earned the proudest 20 game score in my collection. The Achievements range from tedious and complex to something you really can't miss, but all are worth the same amount which is a blessing and a curse. This game isn't to hard to beat, but to unlock every last achievement in this game is quite possibly the most difficult challenge you'll find on the Xbox 360 outside of successfully getting a match made online in Smack down vs. Raw 2007 Expand
  13. ewm
    Feb 4, 2013
    dead rising it very very good game only on xbox 360.Which brought in the early days of xbox 360 huge gulp of air, an interesting plot, many ways to the massacre of zombies and black humor.DISADVANTAGES- is, but for me they are not very large, sometimes very high complexity because that is all under the mission in real time saver is that some of b-movie-when the old woman pushes a few guysdead rising it very very good game only on xbox 360.Which brought in the early days of xbox 360 huge gulp of air, an interesting plot, many ways to the massacre of zombies and black humor.DISADVANTAGES- is, but for me they are not very large, sometimes very high complexity because that is all under the mission in real time saver is that some of b-movie-when the old woman pushes a few guys that would save a dog. Expand
  14. May 28, 2013
    When I was looking over the reviews of this game, I discovered alot of people wanted to play this game for all the wrong reasons. How to decide what to expect from a game and how it should be played before even trying it forces you to a negative experience...
    Firstly, the game is really stressful and that is (in my opinion) a good thing. It gives the game a good replayability, because you would want to preform better then the first time you play the game.
    Another thing people expected the game to be was a mall full of zombies and you could just go crazy with all stuff found inside. Well this is somewhat true, and if you don't care about the story that is exactly what the game is so it shouldn't be a disappointment.
    I recently replayed this game from the beginning and then followed by a game+, and it made me realize just how fun the gameplay is and of course how frustrating it is to fail a mission because of the timed story line (It forces the player to think and plan for the upcoming storyline, which I think is a good thing)
  15. Jun 21, 2014
    " Awesome even better the COD black ops zombies". njrhnrehbfhyufgiryehgregfbyuhbfgrehjfgbrufyguerufbuyhybfrybufrudcdefcbeybdeydfbetdgewvbdewfgvdegdvegdvegdv
  16. Dec 17, 2014
    Now this game is so much fun!! Really good idea to be able to have an open world full of zombies trapped in a mall for 72 hours as character Frank West. There is so much to do with the weapons that are provided inside the mall!! I never get tired of this game even to this day. It is such a fun game.

I really like that there's a **** ton of stores to find different weapons from stupid items but hilarious to powerful weapons like chainsaws and guns. I also like the idea that you have to eat or drink something in order to heal.

A relentlessly inventive game worth the price of entry...The experience is flawed -- some might say hampered -- by the save system and curiously designed game structure. But whether you 'get it' or not, Dead Rising nevertheless provides a wealth of secrets and mysteries for both eager gamers and the adventuresome.
  2. A unique, inventive, and fun game that youll most likely want to play and own due to its huge amount of replayability from random slash-a-thons to side quests and item discovery; you can spend a whole lot of time in this game. Then again if the save system and RPG leveling system turn you off you might be better off renting it first.
  3. The astounding level of variety that is packed into the game is wonderful to see.