Dead Space 2 Xbox 360

8.6

1. Jun 28, 2017
    Dead Space 2, while not as good as its previous entry, is still a great game worth playing today. While the horror is no longer there and more action oriented, the game's combat and mechanics improve and are tweaked that overshadows the original and delivers far more thrilling situations. Isaac melees much faster with swings and stomps and his stasis is nerfed from the first game with aDead Space 2, while not as good as its previous entry, is still a great game worth playing today. While the horror is no longer there and more action oriented, the game's combat and mechanics improve and are tweaked that overshadows the original and delivers far more thrilling situations. Isaac melees much faster with swings and stomps and his stasis is nerfed from the first game with a rechargeable batter to prevent overuse that the first game had. Kinesis is hugely improved on with enemies being able to stick to walls and use sharp objects to impale them. It was a great idea and it still works really well compared to most games.

The atmosphere is still great but perhaps not as well designed as the Ishimura (which they also bring in this and still nails it). Don't get me wrong, Titan Sprawl is still a great location with a civilian space metropolis, but the concise and mundane of the ship just sat better for me.

The story is far different than the first, but it has a few issues that start to incorporate the lore and mystery of the game and take it directions that im unsure of. The Church of Unitology is flaunted far more in this than the first and seeing the lore become more of the plot is very odd to me. There is an idea that Isaac is trying to just escape like before, but also it deals with the death of his girlfriend and fighting the insanity that plaques him when he touches the Marker in the first game. The mind games and scenes with Nicole I really like and her boss confrontation is well done considering enemies are around to supply players with ammo that the Leviathan and Hive Mind couldn't.

The new enemies, death scenes, weapons and environmental effects range from good to fantastic.
    While the enemy variety wasn't lacking in the first game, the mix around and new enemies in 2 spice up the formula without being to out of its comfort zone. It makes sense too because it's in a civilian area rather than a scientist one, so the pack being children and stalkers being dogs and animals makes sense and change up tactics. the death scenes, like the elevator ride up fighting tripods under a oxygen tank is outstanding, and the challenge to it is a rare moment of the game being intense and adrenaline based more than any other time in the series for me. The decompression windows are visually great, watching Necromorphs claw and hold onto something as they are flung into the vacuum of space while forcing Isaac to shoot the emergency core to bring down the safety lock is satisfying and able to compromise with the player.

Isaac getting a voice was good I would say. His personality is likable and he doesn't talk too much that makes him overbearing. I'd say Gunner Wright's voice work was solid and Isaac was just fine for me to hear. The zero-g movement is vastly improved from the first game and Isaac controls his entire movement. It can be a bit disorienting though, so its a tradeoff that im more conflicted with but overall still works well.

The DLC Severed and multiplayer is what brings this entire experience down. Had the time of those two things were spent on the single player (which itself is equally as good as the first for what it gains and loses). Severed is a terribly short campaign of a forgettable protagonist that ends before it even builds any tension or character development. I believe it's suppose to be link to a Wii game of Dead Space, but it was a rail shooter that wasn't well received. Considering Dead Space is a cult game series, so having even greater moments and money spent on the inner main game can really go a long way.

The multiplayer was cool concept, but completely screwed and unbalanced on a multitude of problems. A Left 4 Dead style of 4v4 with human and necromorph players fighting in objective modes can be asinine when the host leaves and voids all experience for players that were winning. Weapons are incredibly imbalanced, and certain Necromorph abilities can be abused to no end. It's no wonder the sequel didn't do one. Despite that though, I often found it to be a guilty pleasure, because carving through teams on either side with friends was really fun and great, even if it was at the expense of someone's frustration.

Dead Space 2 is still great for its campaign. Despite the changes to its formula and poor inclusions to try to be more of a target for the mainstream, the game excels above alot of sci-fi games, but not to the standards its previous set. Play it's story and have a blast, trust me it really is worth it.
  2. Jun 11, 2016
    This game severely lacks items to be found and money to purchase new items, im on chapter 4 and have found and achieved nearly nothing so far. struggling to find items and credits to buy different guns and health to stay alive room to room is hard enough on normal difficulty, dead space 1 was great in the sense you always had a full inventory and most the time you had to sell items. DeadThis game severely lacks items to be found and money to purchase new items, im on chapter 4 and have found and achieved nearly nothing so far. struggling to find items and credits to buy different guns and health to stay alive room to room is hard enough on normal difficulty, dead space 1 was great in the sense you always had a full inventory and most the time you had to sell items. Dead space 2 requires 10,000 credits to purchase the rail gun but theres not even that amount of credits in the game so far up to chapter 4. Hopefully dead space 3 is better Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where should I begin with this game? This is a perfect example of how you do a survival-horror game. Beautiful graphics and design, horrifying creatures and a great plot. Isaac Clarke, the engineer who survived the horror on USG Ishimura, is back. When the game begins, he is in an asylum. But a new necromorph attack begins and Isaac is forced, once again, to face them. With the death of his girlfriend Nicole in the first game, Isaac must deal with the pain of her loss. To his aid he has a pilot named Ellie, Stross, an asylum patient, and Diana, a mysterious woman. I played this game before the first one, but apart from Nicole and a few mentions of the first game, this game surprisingly works well without context from the first game. About a 3/4 in the game, Isaac must travel back to USG Ishimura and this part is awesome, but it's more awesome if you have played the first one. What about the horror factor? This game is really scary, BUT it's nothing compared to the first Dead Space. One of the most iconic horror moments in Dead Space 2 is the eye surgery scene. In this "mini game", Isaac must inject himself with a needle. You control the needle who must go through his right eye. If you succeed, the game continues. But if you fail...the needle aggressively bore through your eye socket, and this is VERY BLOODY AND GORY. Speaking of that, Dead Space 1 is well known for being bloody and gory, and Dead Space 2 makes no difference. When you die, you don't simply "die". Instead you get crushed, impaled, decapitated or, my favourite, transformed to a necromorph. If you don't like lots of blood, you may want to skip this one. The combat in this game is some of the best I've played. The gun-play works like a 3rd person shooter. The enemies you face range from your standard necromorph to the terrifying stalkers. Luckily the stomp mechanic is back, now better than before, so you can crush the enemies you hate to bloody bits while you hear the lovely crushing of bones.The guns from the first one is back, with a few new additions. One of the complaints the first game got was that you couldn't use a flamethrower in zero gravity. In this game it works. Let's talk about the space aspect of this game. A key part of both the first one and the second is the ability to be outside, in space. You have a limited amount of air though, so you can't stand still and enjoy the view. New to this game is the ability to float in zero gravity (which is a great edition). Overall, this game is one of my favourite games, but there are some parts that I didn't like. Since this game is more action packed than the first one, the game is less scarier. Don't get me wrong, there are parts that made me jump. But if you have played the game before, you don't get scared so often. Dead Space 1 has the ability to scare you with creepy music and dark environments, even though you know what's coming. But the worst part is in nearly the end. You must traverse, in zero g, a bunch of lethal obstacles. The problem with this is that the movement in zero g is a bit clunky. Isaac is almost a tank when he moves. And this is really bad when you face obstacles that is big and close to each other. I know that stasis works, but if you aren't good at floating and have almost no stasis packs, then you are pretty done for. I love this game though, and I highly recommend it for horror fans. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2015
    A reliable sequel that builds on the first success while adding new elements to make it an immersive and charitable entry in the series. The new creatures and characters are a welcome addition.
  5. Jan 12, 2015
    I fell in love with the 1st game and couldn't wait for #2. The demo blew me away and the game? Played it at least a dozen times and never got bored with it... The Dead Space series is as good as gaming gets... 2 was my fav but loved them all... More EA... Give us more... Well done!
  6. Jul 7, 2014
    Dead Space 2 is not as scary as Dead Space 1 is, IMHO. Though it has its own merits: Isaac can now speak (not only just scream, as in Dead Space 1), and his nightmares about Nicole are just wonderful! Also, the speed flights through the vacuum are nice, too. Needless to say, the zero-gravity and vacuum features are still there, which is cool.
    Bottom line: it's a very good game (with less
    Bottom line: it's a very good game (with less horror and more action, than in Dead Space 1), and I suggest you to buy it, if you love the first game.
  7. Jun 5, 2014
    It was a really nice game the first time I played it, the scares were absolutely on the spot, I have a turtle beach head set so it was totally terrifying. The story was a bit cheesy, but it was well done also. The first story was the best out of the 3, the 2nd story was a bit...... well a let down to what it was before. The first game he was just trying to survive or get help. This one heIt was a really nice game the first time I played it, the scares were absolutely on the spot, I have a turtle beach head set so it was totally terrifying. The story was a bit cheesy, but it was well done also. The first story was the best out of the 3, the 2nd story was a bit...... well a let down to what it was before. The first game he was just trying to survive or get help. This one he didn't even want to live, at the end he just wanted to die. I thought the story was a bit of a let down, but still the story was better than I thought it would be. Another thing is online, my gosh that sucked so bad that I thought it was a black hole. The game play totally stunk on online, I mean if I was an alien, I would just get my head shot off in the first 5 seconds that I spawned. The humans was also unfair, because there are boosters EVERYWHERE. I mean seriously they would spawn kill every time, I couldn't even get out of the spawn point. Would I recommend this? Yes, defiantly it is a good game to continue the dead space series. Yes, sometimes online is fun if people play FAIR. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2014
    With incredible scares and action sequences Dead Space 2 is recommendable for almost anyone. For those looking for more than just that Dead Space 2 has a great story, good plot and great zero gravity puzzles.
  9. Jan 12, 2014
    Here is my pro/con review of Dead Space 2:

Pros: - Really nice graphics - Great controls (most of the time) - Great story - Isaac is a really good character, so are the side characters. - The dementia aspect is really cool and creepy - A few good scares... Cons: - ...But not enough scares to be a horror game, the game is creepy through and through, though - Necromorph
    Here is my pro/con review of Dead Space 2:

Pros:
    - Really nice graphics
    - Great controls (most of the time)
    - Great story
    - Isaac is a really good character, so are the side characters.
    - The dementia aspect is really cool and creepy
    - A few good scares...

Cons:

- Necromorph pathfinding bugs. (Such as one where i entered a room filled with stalkers, and had them chase me to the other side of the room, they just gave up the chase for no apparent reason.)
    - Rare instances where the story didn't pull me in

But those were just minor annoyances compared to everything else i absolutely loved about the game, I wholeheartedly recommend it. Especially if you can find it for cheap. If not I still recommend it.
  10. Jan 3, 2014
    The Dead Space series is nothing to write home about, its chunky controls, lacklustre graphics and boring campaign virtually leaves you with nothing bare creepy deformed enemies or the odd jump scare. So much potential wasted on what could of been an amazing survival horror game. Another disappointment, would not recommended.
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    They have done it again, this game much like dead space one is an excellent atmospheric, frightening, anxiety ridden romp. The game plays pretty much the same as the first, with some of your old favourite enemies featuring so if you were looking for innovation from the first you may be disappointed, I however was not having loved the first game I love this too, hard to the core though???They have done it again, this game much like dead space one is an excellent atmospheric, frightening, anxiety ridden romp. The game plays pretty much the same as the first, with some of your old favourite enemies featuring so if you were looking for innovation from the first you may be disappointed, I however was not having loved the first game I love this too, hard to the core though??? not gonna happen. Expand
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    It's pretty hard to capture lightening in a bottle twice. I'd say they gave it their best shot, and it was an all around very enjoyable game. They had a winning recipe and didn't deviate. The story progression was good and some of the achievements were incredibly stressful difficult (play on hardcore and you only get to use 3 saves for the entire game) which I enjoy.
  13. Sep 2, 2013
    Dead Space 2 follows up from Isaac Clarke's last outing with a thrilling, terrifying, and gory survival-horror game. The overall story is fairly interesting but the game play is what really stands out as you have a dozen weapons at your disposal each with it's own grotesque way to slaughter those nasty necromorphs. Stasis and kinesis also add terrifically to game play strategy. Isaac innerDead Space 2 follows up from Isaac Clarke's last outing with a thrilling, terrifying, and gory survival-horror game. The overall story is fairly interesting but the game play is what really stands out as you have a dozen weapons at your disposal each with it's own grotesque way to slaughter those nasty necromorphs. Stasis and kinesis also add terrifically to game play strategy. Isaac inner struggle is gripping to watch over the course of the game as he experiences betrayals. hallucinations, and being stalked by a necromorph who seemingly can't die! The campaign is a good 14 hours depending on your difficulty and yes the game can be quite difficult, even on the easier difficulties. New game plus adds re-playability with your weapons and upgrades staying with you even after starting a new campaign. The only real flaw is the multiplayer which gets dull very quickly and isn't very fun. Overall, fantastic gameplay, campaign, weapons etc. but not very good multiplayer. Expand
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    Compared to the first game, Dead Space 2 was somewhat disappointing. It plays more like an action game, relying more on jump scares than atmospheric creepy-ness. They just send horde after horde at you. I much preferr the slow-paced but thrilling game that Dead Space was. Overall though, Dead Space 2 is still an above-average action game.
  15. Jun 1, 2013
    the first dead space was great, good placed jumpscares, creative level design but overall something refreshing even though it had some problems i really liked it, dead space 2 ramps up the horror and improves the gameplay, i loved feeling helpless with just one shot for my plasma cutter and killing the necromorphs, dismembering necromorphs is still satisfying as ever, overall the game wasthe first dead space was great, good placed jumpscares, creative level design but overall something refreshing even though it had some problems i really liked it, dead space 2 ramps up the horror and improves the gameplay, i loved feeling helpless with just one shot for my plasma cutter and killing the necromorphs, dismembering necromorphs is still satisfying as ever, overall the game was excellent, but it does not end there this game packs an awesome multiplayer that some thrills, if you are a fan of survival horror i recommend that you check this game out! Expand
  16. May 30, 2013
    Dead Space 2 is just average. It seems to rely heavily on jump scares that all use the same formula, doesn't set up much of an atmosphere and it's so easy to kill all of the nercomorphs when you're tripping over ammo. The story isn't as interesting as the first, just Scientology-I mean Unitology trying to take over the galaxy. If you solely liked the game play for Dead Space, then this isDead Space 2 is just average. It seems to rely heavily on jump scares that all use the same formula, doesn't set up much of an atmosphere and it's so easy to kill all of the nercomorphs when you're tripping over ammo. The story isn't as interesting as the first, just Scientology-I mean Unitology trying to take over the galaxy. If you solely liked the game play for Dead Space, then this is for you. Otherwise, stay away from this game. Expand
  17. May 7, 2013
    The game is more intense than the first one, but in the mean time lost almost all the scary factors. I don't know what I expected from this game, but whatever it was, the game didnt meet it. the game is surely with a lot of tension, if you die, ok, you die horribly, in the most violent way in game history (IMO), it is not scary, it is just sick to me. other than that. the game is stillThe game is more intense than the first one, but in the mean time lost almost all the scary factors. I don't know what I expected from this game, but whatever it was, the game didnt meet it. the game is surely with a lot of tension, if you die, ok, you die horribly, in the most violent way in game history (IMO), it is not scary, it is just sick to me. other than that. the game is still unique and worth experiencing. Expand
  18. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is AMAZING (to say the least)!!! Issac Clarke makes his return in the Dead Space Series and doesn't disappoint. With already familiar controls, that feel "just right" makes returning fans to the series happy. Suspense levels found in the game are always up there during the course of the game. This becomes very apparent when in Dead Space (original), if you were ever in a tough situation the elevators acted as a "safe house" and you didn't have to worry. Dead Space 2 is very similar until about half way through the game when in an elevator (of course), you get a little visit from a necromorph. Small off-guard sequences raises tension within a playing atmosphere. Comparing these two just like in the first game fear relied heavily on jump scares from the same 4 or five necromorph's. Dead Space 2 also relies on Jump-Scares but adds a slight twist with (of course) a thick atmosphere, more variety from enemy's, and better placed halls and corridors. The game also features high re-playability with the "New Game+" mode and "Hardcore" (this also includes the easy, normal, and hard game modes). This game is nothing to rally pass up on with all its features. For only 20 dollars now its pretty hard to avoid a game such as this one. Expand
  19. Mar 29, 2013
    A little short, but still good stuff. It would have been nice to see a dedicated severs and more effort into the multiplayer, or better yet, just to eliminate it entirely and add another three or four chapters to the campaign instead
  20. Mar 18, 2013
    I'm glad that Dead Space didn't take a turn for the worse when they made this follow up, the original was unbelievable and anticipation was high for the next installment.. and here I am, raving once again about how Dead Space 2 made me pee in pants!!! By far the best Survivor Horror series since all those many years ago when Resident Evil was still relevant in the gaming world.
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    Where to begin. This game is the epitome of awesome. I can honestly not recommend it enough. Now that I have finished gushing, lets get the the specifics. With Dead Space, you had an amazingly crafted horror game on the unforgettable Ishimura. Fast forward three years and you have the follow up to that great game and one that changes everything for the better. Firstly, gone are the longWhere to begin. This game is the epitome of awesome. I can honestly not recommend it enough. Now that I have finished gushing, lets get the the specifics. With Dead Space, you had an amazingly crafted horror game on the unforgettable Ishimura. Fast forward three years and you have the follow up to that great game and one that changes everything for the better. Firstly, gone are the long tedious fetch quests of its predecessor. This game wants you to constantly be moving forward and will not settle for rehashing the same environments over and over. A choice to give Isaac a voice was most fortunate. Not only does it give him a much needed personality, it also allows the player to experience the conflict with him, and discover how exactly all this effects him. To say that this game is an improvement is a complete understatement. This gave Dead Space a place amongst the greatest franchise all time. Expand
  22. Feb 10, 2013
    Fantastic game. It's miles ahead of it's predecessor, there's tons of re-playability. The setting and story are top notch, and I found myself really intrigued by the overall 'Marker' plot. The game play, weapon choice and upgrading system really lets you play how you want to play. The sound design is spectacular. This game still gives me the chills two years later, and I never look atFantastic game. It's miles ahead of it's predecessor, there's tons of re-playability. The setting and story are top notch, and I found myself really intrigued by the overall 'Marker' plot. The game play, weapon choice and upgrading system really lets you play how you want to play. The sound design is spectacular. This game still gives me the chills two years later, and I never look at ventilation ducts the same again. 10/10. Expand
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    The difficult "second album" of a series can be hit or miss, but this one manages to hit on almost all counts. This is a superior game to it's predecessor in every way possible. The most significant improvement is that they gave Isaac a voice. No longer is he the mute protagonist running to and fro playing errand boy for other people; this time he is a living human being, driven by his ownThe difficult "second album" of a series can be hit or miss, but this one manages to hit on almost all counts. This is a superior game to it's predecessor in every way possible. The most significant improvement is that they gave Isaac a voice. No longer is he the mute protagonist running to and fro playing errand boy for other people; this time he is a living human being, driven by his own personal objectives. This parlays into much more interesting and meaningful missions, as there is now a personal impetus to get through the story. The story and universe are also expanded upon from the first, with lots of interesting backstory delivered in the form of interesting text and audio logs. The gameplay also feels tighter and more polished than the first. Isaac feels more nible and responsive than his past self, which makes for more fluid gameplay. Combat is as frantic as ever, and harder difficulties really challenge the player to use ammo smartly and have good situational awareness. The more action-y gameplay however, has meant alot of the slower paced horror and creepiness of the first game have been left by the wayside. Enemies also seem to have been recycled from the first, and there aren't many unique monsters. Gameplay could have also been spruced up a bit with some new features. As it is, it's the gameplay of old, but much more polished. There are alot of standout "set piece" sequences, similar to the Uncharted series. One involving a monster chasing Isaac, with the camera peering over Isaac's front, is an ingeniously crafted action sequence. The graphics, audio, and artwork are also well executed. There is an incredible sense of time and place. You really believe this far-future sci fi world exists, even though it doesn't. All in all, a great sequel, pick it up. Expand
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    It's the game that got me back into zombie video games. Deadrising was ok and Left 4 Dead was great but when this came out, I renewed my faith in the zombie video game. Resident Evil 4 was the last time there was an awesome zombie game.
  25. Oct 29, 2012
    Dead Space 2 isn't necessarily better than the first game, it just improves in some areas that weren't necessarily that bad to begin with. The audio is still utterly masterful, creating suspense at all the right junctures, while the visuals and gameplay make Visceral's game one of the finest examples of cinematic gaming at its best. The bottom line however, is that Dead Space 2 is one ofDead Space 2 isn't necessarily better than the first game, it just improves in some areas that weren't necessarily that bad to begin with. The audio is still utterly masterful, creating suspense at all the right junctures, while the visuals and gameplay make Visceral's game one of the finest examples of cinematic gaming at its best. The bottom line however, is that Dead Space 2 is one of the most downright terrifying games that you're ever likely to play. It'll give you nightmares, guaranteed. Expand
  26. Oct 11, 2012
    This review should be prefaced by the fact that I dislike the horror genre with a passion. I was attracted to this game after a buddy convinced me to try it and after and hour and a half I was disappointed by constant suspense and what I felt was a lack of action. After picking it up the other week I realized that what I hated the first time was really the beauty in the game. I played forThis review should be prefaced by the fact that I dislike the horror genre with a passion. I was attracted to this game after a buddy convinced me to try it and after and hour and a half I was disappointed by constant suspense and what I felt was a lack of action. After picking it up the other week I realized that what I hated the first time was really the beauty in the game. I played for and hour or so and was hooked. The feeling of tension that this game creates is on a whole other level from other games I have played. Every corner you feel forced to check left and right -- with that visibility you have -- to avoid being snuck up on by a zombie. Hearing a something in the walls and just knowing that something is coming and tensing up on the edge of the couch to just find yourself at a save station is probably the quickest jump in my suspense that I have ever felt in a game. Overall I think this games ability to draw you in with the suspense is what made this a great game. I will say this though: dying was more frustrating than a set back, and the save stations seemed useless and too frequent. I don't really mind the latter, but dying felt like **** I have to go blow through this section again" rather than "Okay **** how I am going to beat these guys". I didn't really understand a lot of the story going through the game either; it was only the end when everything was put before you that I understood what was going on. Ultimately, I am pleased I picked it up, and I would recommend it to most everyone. Expand
  27. Sep 20, 2012
    This is one my favorite games of all time. I was sceptical when i was deciding if i should buy this game or not. And when i actually bought it i waited like four days to play it because i was nervous to see how scary the game actually is. Well to me anyway the games scared are over hyped to the point where i didnt even get scared when playing this game at all. Instead i loved the sh#t outThis is one my favorite games of all time. I was sceptical when i was deciding if i should buy this game or not. And when i actually bought it i waited like four days to play it because i was nervous to see how scary the game actually is. Well to me anyway the games scared are over hyped to the point where i didnt even get scared when playing this game at all. Instead i loved the sh#t out of it. To me when i was playing this game felt more like an action game than a survival horror,ive seen many critics say how ammo and health are scarce well you know what i got to say to them.....bullsh$t. I had plenty of ammo and health throughout the whole game,and gameinformer said that towards the end the difficultly shoots through the roof,it doesnt. In fact you can barely tell. This game is very creative and the last like three hours is amazing. The end of the game gave me goosebumps man,i cannot wait till Dead Space 3,play this game and you'll feel the same way. Expand
  28. Aug 15, 2012
    Dead Space was a masterpiece action horror game, but does the sequel live up to its hefty heights the predecessor set? It surpasses them in short, the game is longer, more action packed and a more meaty experience all round. The events of Dead Space have left Isaac with a rare form of Dementia that will kill him if he does not get the cure. Being held on one of Saturn's moons names theDead Space was a masterpiece action horror game, but does the sequel live up to its hefty heights the predecessor set? It surpasses them in short, the game is longer, more action packed and a more meaty experience all round. The events of Dead Space have left Isaac with a rare form of Dementia that will kill him if he does not get the cure. Being held on one of Saturn's moons names the Sprawl, CEC have brought the USG Ishimura in after the distress beacon you sent out was recovered, now the Necromorph roam the Sprawl and yet again it is up to Isaac to escape with his life. Expand
  29. Jul 14, 2012
    I must say i had high hopes for this game. Being knew to the DS series i had decided to take the oldest one i could find on shelves which (unfortunately) was Dead Space 2. While i prefer to always try and start with the first of a series i did some research and found out it is supposedly a great way to start off this series if your new. When i first started this game it seemed okay but theI must say i had high hopes for this game. Being knew to the DS series i had decided to take the oldest one i could find on shelves which (unfortunately) was Dead Space 2. While i prefer to always try and start with the first of a series i did some research and found out it is supposedly a great way to start off this series if your new. When i first started this game it seemed okay but the enemies quickly got old. The jump scares were a bit startling at the beginning but more or less towards the half-way point they mainly were expected. The character of Isaac felt rather generic to me. He seemed to me just a regular horror movie person who is wanted by basically everyone because there is something special about them. The guns were very unique but i feel a major downfall was its multiplayer. While i never had high hopes for a horror genre to go good with multiplayer i at least expected something better than, play a match, try to kill endless waves of necromorphs who usually try to kill you as you spawn, get killed, try again, repeat. It seems as though they just wanted to put in a multiplayer so as people wouldn't complain about there not being one. The enemies are both unique and interesting but towards the end there were barely any new ones and just harder versions of the older version's. Expand
  30. May 29, 2012
    The best survival horror game to date period. The first one was a success this one multiplies that sucsess per 100, first Issac talks and has a personality so the interaction with the game story is more interactive than in the first one, there aro more necromorph variants and man they are scary also this game does something that resident evil cant do it merges perfectly the survival aspectThe best survival horror game to date period. The first one was a success this one multiplies that sucsess per 100, first Issac talks and has a personality so the interaction with the game story is more interactive than in the first one, there aro more necromorph variants and man they are scary also this game does something that resident evil cant do it merges perfectly the survival aspect and the action elements. Is scary, the story is awsome and is one of the best games to date. Expand
  31. May 27, 2012
    This game was a huge letdown for me. The first one blew me away I was looking forward to this game so bad. The story was barely there, the action was pretty cool, and there were some cool elements, but it just felt lackluster.
  32. May 25, 2012
    Dead Space 2 retains much of the positives of the original. Its graphics and audio are good, gameplay works and it often has good athmosphere. There are some nice jump scares, exciting fights and good set pieces (Bird tower, train, Isaac's hallucinations) and the new thruster pack is great.

Nevertheless DS2 falls short compared to the original. DS2 is shorter despite being on 2 DVDs. Moreover there's very little plot involved, Isaac is asked to move to his objective where, after some hasty 5 second scene, he is instantly shoved towards the next one. The sense of progression was superior in Dead Space 1. There every action mattered, but here Isaac rushes from meaningless scene to another. There are some villains and allies, none of which seem to have any significance. The game seems drawn out and padded, having a sizable bit set on revisiting Ishimura without proper reason just makes the impression worse.

Additionally the new locale is very unimpressive compared to derelict Ishimura from DS1. Titan was supposedly a populated place, but that doesn't show. Isaac is pretty much the only one alive and he really starts to feel like a some sort of superhero. The chance to use other survivors and horror of the outbreak is wasted. Storywise I also found it odd how necromorps actually have their defenders, in DS1 I was able to shrug it off by thinking Marker must affect people and make them mad, but here I don't see why anyone would think they're a good thing. The story hints that there will be a lot more Markers and necromorphs which seems absolutely ridicilous to me. Beating a dead horse and all that.

Gameplaywise there isn't much to complain about. The game is still fun and exciting, though I'm a bit dissapointed how fast-paced and exhausting the series got. Isaac wanders around the station killing hundreds of monsters and there really is no sense of horror here, I rarely had shortage of ammo or health, or oxygen. That is made worse by some of the new aliens: the stalkers preying in the dark behave more comically than fearsomely, and the child enemies are just campy. On a smaller note I feel gore and splatter replaced the last bit of solitary eerie horror DS1 had, everyone dies graphically and the needle part is completely unnecessary. Still, the common necromorphs are some of the best enemies in games, quickly shooting off their claws is always satisfying. Combat feels good and there were some clever intense bits. Despite of the increased pace the game still has good inventory and store systems as well as non-regenerating health and conserving ammo is still important.

Summary: All in all the game is still technically good quality just like Dead Space 1. I wanted to play through it fast and see what happens next. However in the end, looking back, I was left with a sour taste and little hope for the future. DS2 seems rushed and lacking thought, while also suffering from the common actionizing that games are having. I can't see the series continuing and improving, seems like Dead Space 1 was the pinnacle of this series, this generation's Resident Evil 1.

***
  33. May 24, 2012
    Defiantly a great game and a must for people looking into the survival horror series. One of the scariest games I ever played and have no complaints about it apart from that the campaign seems a bit short and I personally thought the first one was scarier. If you've played the first one, then this is a must. There is also multiplayer in this but It's real hard trying to find a game withDefiantly a great game and a must for people looking into the survival horror series. One of the scariest games I ever played and have no complaints about it apart from that the campaign seems a bit short and I personally thought the first one was scarier. If you've played the first one, then this is a must. There is also multiplayer in this but It's real hard trying to find a game with people because to be honest multiplayer isn't that great. It's fun for a little bit isn't something that will hook you. Single player is where the game matters anyway. A must for anyone looking for a scary game. Expand
  34. May 6, 2012
    Both Dead Space and Dead Space 2 rose the bar of what a 3rd person Action horror game should be. No annoying HUD's or mini-maps on the screen, no fancy and confusing power-ups or special powers (Mass Effect 3). Just a plain good old-fashioned shoot em up game with great visuals and sound. I loved the simplicity of the controls and how natural Isaac felt as you controlled him. Shepherd inBoth Dead Space and Dead Space 2 rose the bar of what a 3rd person Action horror game should be. No annoying HUD's or mini-maps on the screen, no fancy and confusing power-ups or special powers (Mass Effect 3). Just a plain good old-fashioned shoot em up game with great visuals and sound. I loved the simplicity of the controls and how natural Isaac felt as you controlled him. Shepherd in ME3 seems so rigid and un-natural. No weapon or powers mini-wheels to bring up that delays the action nor dialogue that you need to answer. Dead Space 2 was better than the original Dead Space because they added more of what was liked in the original - different necromorphs, more weapons, zero G, the statis...all are improvements. Multiplayer is also simple and non-complex. Fun and exciting, I just wished they added more maps. I don't know why the Dead Space franchise don't get the play/recognition that Gears of war or Mass Effect gets. Dead Space playability is so much more refined than the other games. So much more realistic. It's an awesome game and I can't wait for more! Expand
  35. Mar 25, 2012
    The day this game came out I was soooo excited. I fell madly in love with the first one and could not wait to get into this game. The first ten minutes of this game... oh my god. It's still the best opening scene of any video game I've ever played or seen. All hell has literally broken loose. You have to run through a necromorph-infested hospital with your health in the red and wearing aThe day this game came out I was soooo excited. I fell madly in love with the first one and could not wait to get into this game. The first ten minutes of this game... oh my god. It's still the best opening scene of any video game I've ever played or seen. All hell has literally broken loose. You have to run through a necromorph-infested hospital with your health in the red and wearing a straight jacket. The atmosphere in the game isn't quite as terrifying as it was in the first one, but they included both new and old necromorphs and focused more on hordes and hordes of necromorphs coming to screw up your world. This Dead Space seems to have more action rather than focusing completely on trying to make you piss your pants. You still have the old weapon choices along with a couple new ones such as the Javelin gun. Meanwhile, Nicole's terrifying ghost is following you everywhere as Isaac continues to slip further into insanity. Still one of the best games I've ever played, and I am constantly creeping the internet for news on the third one. Expand
  36. Mar 23, 2012
    I feel in love with this series as soon as I purchased Dead Space 1. This game is just as fun while improving upon many aspects. I really think the sound design is top notch, which helps scare the hell out of you! There's really not many survival horrors out there that are any good nowadays. With Resident Evil going action oriented, this is the series to own. Highly recommended!
  37. Mar 15, 2012
    From the beginning as a player you are in danger.
    The constant feeling of restless is on the entire game.
    Always watching the steps pointing the gun.
    Terrifying!

and the final and main reason of all is that my mom hate it!
  38. Feb 29, 2012
    BEST HORROR GAME THIS GEN!!! Soooooooo much better that the first dead space, graphics and gameplay are top-notch. This game is a MUST buy for every gamer outhere
  39. Feb 24, 2012
    A game which builds itself around Jump-scares and flickering lights to scare you, has got the horror aspect of the "Survival Horror" genre, totally backwards!
    There is no finesse or creativity behind a single thing in this game!
    People are praising this game to the skies for being: "groundbreaking in the survival horror genre" and being "one of the best games ever" In my opinion, no, this
    There is no finesse or creativity behind a single thing in this game!
    In my opinion, no, this doesn't work.

The story is just crap, total crap, when it's not too predictable, it's just faffing about! It doesn't make sense! The characters aren't likeable, Isaac is the blandest of blandest protagonists in a long long time, the equipment is boring, just carry it over from Dead Space 1, no time spent there, the enemies are so ungodly boring and predictable that it's just painful, the boss battles are just so uninspired that it's laughable, the "plot-twist" is just so annoyingly predictable!
    That's what this game was for me, nothing else but a train-wreck, uninspired, bland and predictable.
    Sorry, but I can't just bring myself to like this, no matter what happens.
  40. Feb 7, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. The action and combat is really good and the mood and atmosphere really gets your heart pounding, especially towards the end of the game. Most impressive is the story and character progression. I really felt for Issac and I was extremely drawn in by his struggle and that of Ellie by the end. I highly recommend this to anyone who remotely liked the first oneI really enjoyed this game. The action and combat is really good and the mood and atmosphere really gets your heart pounding, especially towards the end of the game. Most impressive is the story and character progression. I really felt for Issac and I was extremely drawn in by his struggle and that of Ellie by the end. I highly recommend this to anyone who remotely liked the first one because it improves on it in every way. Expand
  41. Feb 1, 2012
    Scary at some moments, but others might not find it too scary and see it as a more action oriented game. Still a very intense game with a very fun online mode.
  42. Jan 22, 2012
    I'm not really sure as to why people are whining about this game. Most of them claim to have "loved" the first Dead Space and have again claimed that they completed it many times. This is what perplexes me. People who are still humping the living daylights out of the first one should, in theory, love the second Dead Space. I've played the first one through many times and still managed toI'm not really sure as to why people are whining about this game. Most of them claim to have "loved" the first Dead Space and have again claimed that they completed it many times. This is what perplexes me. People who are still humping the living daylights out of the first one should, in theory, love the second Dead Space. I've played the first one through many times and still managed to get scared after the 1st try. So when I got the second, I accomplished a total of 5 playthroughs in a total of 2 months. I was THAT fixated with it.
    The gameplay hasn't really changed: you still have mildly clunky controls to give that sense of urgency and panic in sticky situations and you're still required to hack the limbs off Necromorphs. But it's such a joy to play that I can't complain.
    The story is pretty interesting provided you pay attention and are a fan of the series. The scares aren't as numerous as the first game but still, they are more subtle and will still cause a few screams here and there (this, being the primary source of complaint, means jack to me. I found it scary), most of the game's tense atmosphere comes from the incredible sound design which is enhanced with any sort of speaker system or headphones.
    Also, the addition of giving Isaac a face has brought the narrative on leaps and bounds. And while being a schizophrenic, dementia suffering psycho, Isaac comes across as a likeable protagonist.
    However, as good as Dead Space 2's singleplayer mode is with its combo of story, sound and awesome graphics, the multiplayer feels unfinished. It lacks any sort of interesting feature and gives the human side a huge advantage. As many people have said it feels "tacked on" and is nowhere near the high standard the singeplayer set.
    I believe those who rated this negatively are gravely mistaken and haven't absorbed themselves into the atmosphere of the game, no matter how much they said they liked the previous game. Dead Space 2 is certainly a sequel that lives up to the hype!
  43. Jan 16, 2012
    this game was amazing, loved it, ending wasnt hard, but powerful and fun to enjoy. however the puzzles in the game were somewhat poor and easy to solve, got them in a few seconds each
  44. Jan 3, 2012
    In a strange way this both builds upon and takes away from the original game. Originally we're given a story that seems utterly hopeless from start to finish and though the combat is in close quarters (mostly) the idea you were on a gigantic ship and in the middle of space adds to this sense of hopelessness. In the first game we're given a character, Isaac, who has no dialogue and is givenIn a strange way this both builds upon and takes away from the original game. Originally we're given a story that seems utterly hopeless from start to finish and though the combat is in close quarters (mostly) the idea you were on a gigantic ship and in the middle of space adds to this sense of hopelessness. In the first game we're given a character, Isaac, who has no dialogue and is given only grunts and yells - in this game Isaac actually has a voice and personality. In a way this adds to the story, but it also takes away from the horror. In Dead Space I felt more like I was on board the horrific Ishimura, but in this one, though the gameplay remains extreme and extensively fun, I felt it was like I was watching the experience rather than being a part of it. In this Dead Space we're given an even bigger environment, but it doesn't really feel all that big seeing we only visit small portion of the huge space city. Fewer varieties of enemies are present in this one, and only a few new ones are introduced, but the scares remain there - especially with the newly added Stalkers. This game plays highly off of Isaac's dementia, which I thought was great, and it also adds a new sense of maturity and growth from the first game. The first game was classic and over the top (so is this one) but I feel that the storyline becomes so much clearer in this addition and we're given more to discover than we were in the first game. However the sense of confusion I felt in the first game was partly why it was so terrifying, and when the twist was revealed (in the first game) I was just blown away and even felt chilled. This is a great game, but the overall story mode is surprisingly short. I was able to beat it in one sitting - which is really quick for a two disked game, but also goes to show how captivating it is to get me to sit there for so long. The intensity is so great and the scares are so constant that eventually you may find your mind shutting down and going into a zone where pop outs and eeriness cease to be effective. There is also multiplayer, which is surprisingly fun (especially when you play as the necromorphs). The only issue I've had with multiplayer is the loading time, other than that it's loads of fun, and so is the rest of the game. Expand
  45. Dec 25, 2011
    Dead space was quite an experience. I gave it a high score because of its memorable scenery and its intense gameplay. I Will most likely play the next sequel that comes out.
  46. Dec 19, 2011
    Not a huge difference to the first game however the poor gameplay that cropped up from time to time in the first game have been improved and some new creatures have added to the challenge although the expect the unexpected factor of the first game has been lost. Good graphics, a good storyline and decent gameplay make this well worth a playthrough.
  47. Dec 12, 2011
    Dead Space 1 set a very high bar. All Dead Space 2 managed to do was limbo under it. The plot and concept were fine. DS2 expands on the ground covered by the first game nicely, without going off on any irrelevant tangents like some sequels have been prone to do. The disappointment comes in how the gameplay was implemented, the trial-and-error methods of the deathtraps in particular. TheDead Space 1 set a very high bar. All Dead Space 2 managed to do was limbo under it. The plot and concept were fine. DS2 expands on the ground covered by the first game nicely, without going off on any irrelevant tangents like some sequels have been prone to do. The disappointment comes in how the gameplay was implemented, the trial-and-error methods of the deathtraps in particular. The only way they could have made it more blatant is if they paused the action on occasion to flash the message: "We interrupt your regularly scheduled first person horror survival shooter to bring you this cinematic that plays like Dragon's Lair." Expand
  48. Dec 2, 2011
    This is the best game ever! I'm a big fan of survival -horrors and I hope to to see a game as good as DS2 is! DS2 improved from the first, worth every dollar spent. Would be the first game I will show to my son when he grows up!
  49. Nov 17, 2011
    Pretty good game but doesnt feature much change from the first game. One of the big set backs for the game is that is lacks variety and it really feels you are just replaying the same parts over and over again. Besides that, Its pretty enjoyable and I had a blast playing it.
  50. Nov 14, 2011
    Although not as bad as Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 2 still falls into the same category of "dross, cash-in sequal". As a big fan of the original Dead Space I was actually rather impressed with this game to start with, certainly there were a few moments where I thought "This is gonna blow me away!", but soon enough the game's flaws started to take over. For one the enemies are far, far cheaperAlthough not as bad as Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 2 still falls into the same category of "dross, cash-in sequal". As a big fan of the original Dead Space I was actually rather impressed with this game to start with, certainly there were a few moments where I thought "This is gonna blow me away!", but soon enough the game's flaws started to take over. For one the enemies are far, far cheaper this time round - no end of hits sustained come from Necro's you can't even see and aren't aware of until you play the set peice through a few times. In fact the whole game has a very poor "trial and error" feel to it which soon gets you into the habit of just rushing into every area full on so you can see what's happening, get killed, and then actually try and get past it - it totally kills any suspense or fear. Secondly the puzzels add absolutely nothing to the game - they really do just slow the pace of the game down and feel labourious. Next the weapons just don't feel as balanced this time round, every one feels ropey and less satisfying than in DS1, and there's an over-reliance on the stasis module. And finally the story is pretty pap, I didn't even realise I was on Chapter 7 until I checked a walkthrough for a tit-bit, I was like "Eh? Halfway through the game and it only feels just like I've completed the tutorial". I honestly don't think that a game could make you care less about it as this ine does. Very poor. Expand
  51. Nov 13, 2011
    this is a survival horror shooter that bring a lot a fear you cant ignore it whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aa a a aa a a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a aa a a aa a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa athis is a survival horror shooter that bring a lot a fear you cant ignore it whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa aa a a aa a a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a aa a a aa a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa a a a a a aaa a a a a aa a aaa a a a a a aa a aaaaaaaaaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaaaez errssasafsafareaeresersreaeraerer Expand
  52. Nov 10, 2011
    I thought Dead Space 2 was a pretty good sequel but some parts do get a bit tedious and repetitive. This had allot more surprises and scares than the first as with the first it kinda felt predictable and obvious where the monsters where gonna jump out. I like the way DS2 focused more on the Isaac Clarke and how he struggles with what has happened and the situation hes in. I liked the storyI thought Dead Space 2 was a pretty good sequel but some parts do get a bit tedious and repetitive. This had allot more surprises and scares than the first as with the first it kinda felt predictable and obvious where the monsters where gonna jump out. I like the way DS2 focused more on the Isaac Clarke and how he struggles with what has happened and the situation hes in. I liked the story and had fun cutting monsters into pieces and the fact it uses the inside and outside of the station. Expand
  53. Nov 8, 2011
    I just plain **** loved this game, loved it. The voice worked, the new weapons and suits and the story was all brilliant. The graphics were flawless, no texture pops, everything moved really fluid. The awkward jerky nature of Deadspace 1 is gone. You feel nice and heavy. **** love this game
  54. Nov 6, 2011
    okay, i played the first one and that **** was creepy as **** then i copped this one and it blew that one away, craziest, most intense set pieces there are in any game (even cod). ive literally played the **** outta this game and now im bored of it, but dont get me wrong, this is such an amazing game, it keeps you on your toes n the constant. great story with alot of twist and turns, justokay, i played the first one and that **** was creepy as **** then i copped this one and it blew that one away, craziest, most intense set pieces there are in any game (even cod). ive literally played the **** outta this game and now im bored of it, but dont get me wrong, this is such an amazing game, it keeps you on your toes n the constant. great story with alot of twist and turns, just crazy as hell. **** resident evil, this game kills that, **** why aim and not move, when in this one you can. like i said, great game check it out, its a great horror game. Expand
  55. Nov 5, 2011
    Dead Space was a remarkable achievement since the resident evil days in the survival horror genre. I love the game so much and is my top 10 best games of all time. But Dead space 2 was a truly big disaapointment. It didnt deliver like the first game did. There was no scary moments and you just knew when stuff was going to pop up. Another thing was no huge boss battles like the first oneDead Space was a remarkable achievement since the resident evil days in the survival horror genre. I love the game so much and is my top 10 best games of all time. But Dead space 2 was a truly big disaapointment. It didnt deliver like the first game did. There was no scary moments and you just knew when stuff was going to pop up. Another thing was no huge boss battles like the first one had. It was mostly rinse and repeat of the same enemies over and over. It was more action driven like resident evil 5. Another thing that bothered me was that they always wanted to show his face. I didnt like this because I wanted to feel like I was the character in the suit. By showing his face it took alot of what the character supposed to be. The weapons,controls,camera, and gameplay are top notch. Story plot was fairly obvious and didnt supply any new insight the origins of the creatures. Expand
  56. Oct 27, 2011
    Even, if games like Dead Space 2 aren't scary, this game is still very good. The action is well done, the sounds of the game has been done very well and the graphics are great. The story isin't anything interesting though, making excuses to do some more job alone all the time. The game doesn't really add anything new except multiplayer. Other wise you get few weapons, ability to sendEven, if games like Dead Space 2 aren't scary, this game is still very good. The action is well done, the sounds of the game has been done very well and the graphics are great. The story isin't anything interesting though, making excuses to do some more job alone all the time. The game doesn't really add anything new except multiplayer. Other wise you get few weapons, ability to send enemies to space and able to throw spiky objects to them. The multiplayer is also awful. Playing as necromorphs isin't fun, because human team can abuse slo-mo ability all the time and the combat feels stupid and boring. The unlocks also feel useless. I recommend this game only for the single player, which is short too (Only about 6-8 hours). Pros:
    + Graphics
    + Single player's action is great, especially during some scenes
    Cons:
    - Multiplayer
    - Doesn't add enough new stuff to single player
  57. Oct 24, 2011
    Not only was Dead Space 2 a great sequel, it's one of the best damn games ever made! There's plenty to love about this game. Fans of the first game should not be disappointed. We have a great story, upgraded gameplay mechanics, new weapons, great voice acting, etc. As the first Dead Space is my pick for "Game of the Year" (2008) there's no question that this one will be up for all sortsNot only was Dead Space 2 a great sequel, it's one of the best damn games ever made! There's plenty to love about this game. Fans of the first game should not be disappointed. We have a great story, upgraded gameplay mechanics, new weapons, great voice acting, etc. As the first Dead Space is my pick for "Game of the Year" (2008) there's no question that this one will be up for all sorts of nominations, including "Game of the Year" for many huge gaming companies. Expand
  58. Sep 18, 2011
    Dead Space 2 is the best horror game of this generation. Visceral masterfully blends action sequences with scary ones, although, it isn't as scary as it's predecessor, but it still packs enough scares to keep you on the edge of your seat. Unfortunately the multiplayer isn't very good, but does it really matter? If your buying Dead Space 2, it's for the single player, which is superb. BuyDead Space 2 is the best horror game of this generation. Visceral masterfully blends action sequences with scary ones, although, it isn't as scary as it's predecessor, but it still packs enough scares to keep you on the edge of your seat. Unfortunately the multiplayer isn't very good, but does it really matter? If your buying Dead Space 2, it's for the single player, which is superb. Buy this game now. Expand
  59. Sep 6, 2011
    I watched some footage about the art direction on Dead Space 2 for school, and in doing so, made me want to play this game. However, this game is so well made, and so scary, that I wasn't playing it, I was experiencing it, I tried to sleep for about an hour and gave up and successfully finished the game by pulling an all nighter the night I received it. Playing through it the game had meI watched some footage about the art direction on Dead Space 2 for school, and in doing so, made me want to play this game. However, this game is so well made, and so scary, that I wasn't playing it, I was experiencing it, I tried to sleep for about an hour and gave up and successfully finished the game by pulling an all nighter the night I received it. Playing through it the game had me on the edge of my seat the whole night, and I was quite impressed by the games length and I LOVED how the game included 2 discs, so that DLC was like an expansion, and not the other 3rd of the game. The combat didn't get as repetitive as I expected it to get, and I really loved the telekinesis, which not only helped save ammunition but added a change to the game play that was something I am not used to in Survival horror games. In all honesty, I hate non FPS multiplayer games unless it's racing. Even with FPS I prefer them 99% of the time on PC, so the multiplayer didn't appeal to me all that much, however it is fun with it's L4D style gameplay... like L4D, I prefer the non-human team, and it's a hell of a good time.
    All in all, even if you don't like Dead Space 2's style of game (non FPS or whatever) this is still a great buy, this is one of those few games, I would recommend to anyone, except my mother, because, yes, there is some really brutal and messed up things in this game...
  60. Sep 1, 2011
    Loved this game. I loved the first Dead Space and if anything, the second one is even better. Fantastic atmosphere, gorgeous level design and art direction and briliant game mechanics. The one thing, above all, that stands out to me with this series is the fantastic UI (or lack thereof) - perfect way of telling players ammo and health, giving maximum game screen and not cluttering anythingLoved this game. I loved the first Dead Space and if anything, the second one is even better. Fantastic atmosphere, gorgeous level design and art direction and briliant game mechanics. The one thing, above all, that stands out to me with this series is the fantastic UI (or lack thereof) - perfect way of telling players ammo and health, giving maximum game screen and not cluttering anything up. If there is one thing which is not as good in the second it will be the story. I felt it was not as gripping and well developed as the story was in the first game, but then again i did not mind too much as a lot of other things were improved upon.

If you liked the first, you will like this. If you have not played the first, you can play this no problem - its a perfect stand-alone (though you should still play the first because its also awesome). 2 thumbs up from me!
  61. Aug 10, 2011
    An excellent game, Dead space 2 blends action and horror and ends with a game, which, while not as scary as the first will still scare you and provide action fans a fun and challenging game. The Xbox version has two disks, which is not a big problem, merely a slight annoyance. The reason it doesn't receive a ten is the multiplayer is horribly unbalanced, I know humans are supposed to beAn excellent game, Dead space 2 blends action and horror and ends with a game, which, while not as scary as the first will still scare you and provide action fans a fun and challenging game. The Xbox version has two disks, which is not a big problem, merely a slight annoyance. The reason it doesn't receive a ten is the multiplayer is horribly unbalanced, I know humans are supposed to be more powerful, but they are overpowered as necromorphs die much more easily than in campaign, and take up to 5x longer to kill a human than a human takes to kill a necromorph. The other reason is it less scary than the first. However definitely worth your time and money. Expand
  62. Aug 9, 2011
    Dead Space was an inevitable progression of the survival horror genre, taking cues from the latest iterations of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. It was (is) a perfect video game. The gorgeous graphics, tense atmosphere, kickass silent protagonist decked out in super cool space mining armor, and very satisfying limb-slicing gameplay all added up to a pitch perfect experience that I imaginedDead Space was an inevitable progression of the survival horror genre, taking cues from the latest iterations of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. It was (is) a perfect video game. The gorgeous graphics, tense atmosphere, kickass silent protagonist decked out in super cool space mining armor, and very satisfying limb-slicing gameplay all added up to a pitch perfect experience that I imagined EA and Visceral would have a difficult time topping, or even matching. I was right. Dead Space 2 doesn't improve on the formula, but instead rehashes it completely while adding some unnecessary flourishes and removes some fun and exciting elements found in the first game. A couple new enemies and guns are available, as well as a flexible (but rarely used and poorly implemented) anti-gravity control scheme and the occasional single pane of fragile glass waiting to send you and your enemies into the depths of space. The other additions are much less palatable, such as the ever-pandering multiplayer mode and Isaac's new vocal chords. Instead of potentially becoming the next silent space-scouring Samus, Isaac has been transformed into your boring, everyday, disgustingly relatable and forever-swearing meathead with a couple of shallow demons on his back that frankly serve more to annoy the player rather than bothering to tell a story with depth and the grandeur that being a lone future space psuedo-solider/hero should provide. Isaac's mystery is gone in the interest of makin dem BroBucks. The disappointments don't end there, as the removal of some key distractions from the endless room-clearing, move on, press switch gameplay progression are sorely missed. No asteroid blasting, no shooting range, no Zero G Basketball. The puzzles are also very very scarce and weak and would have helped greatly in pacing the decimation of the hordes of enemies you encounter throughout the game, especially towards the end. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in Dead Space 2 though, as it's just enough of a sequel to qualify as one, but once it fulfills its (excellent) jump scares and flawless limb-chopping combat within a game engine that just won't quit, I'm still left feeling dissatisfied and listless. If Dead Space is truly going to become another regular or yearly franchise for EA, then I expect the dilution will continue until the original blood-smeared, helpless aura of the original is reduced to it's bare combat bones even more completely. Expand
  63. Aug 8, 2011
    I was a big fan of the first Dead Space, but was somewhat leery of giving Isaac a voice in the second. I must admit this was better than I expected. Isaac isn't constantly spouting ridiculous one liners like I feared. The controls are largely the same as the original, which is to say sharp and responsive. The pacing is spot on. The weapons are diverse. The monsters are nicely variedI was a big fan of the first Dead Space, but was somewhat leery of giving Isaac a voice in the second. I must admit this was better than I expected. Isaac isn't constantly spouting ridiculous one liners like I feared. The controls are largely the same as the original, which is to say sharp and responsive. The pacing is spot on. The weapons are diverse. The monsters are nicely varied as well. Sadly the game seems to lose steam toward the end with a final chapter that felt like a let down in comparison to the rest of the game. It's a solid survival-horror that succeeds at what it wants to do, but doesn't excel beyond it. Expand
  64. Aug 8, 2011
    As far as scary, creepy and atmospheric horror games go, Dead Space 2 is by far the best I have ever played. It is far superior to its predecessor in every way; the mechanics, the weapons, the enemy variety, the challenge and the more various settings. DS2 provides scares and jumps from the start to the finish, and the story is interesting enough to keep you attached until the very finalAs far as scary, creepy and atmospheric horror games go, Dead Space 2 is by far the best I have ever played. It is far superior to its predecessor in every way; the mechanics, the weapons, the enemy variety, the challenge and the more various settings. DS2 provides scares and jumps from the start to the finish, and the story is interesting enough to keep you attached until the very final limb is severed. The decision to give Isaac Clarke (the protagonist) a voice was an excellent design choice and allows the player to gain a likeness of the character. The surroundings and sound are both superb; the original was fantastically atmospheric, but this game improves and refines everything. As a rental (or as second hand) you will not get an 'online code' and so this locks away the online multi-player, which is disappointing, however the single player 9-10 hour play through way enough to satisfy me. 4/5, superb. Expand
  65. Aug 4, 2011
    Dead Space 2 was a great game its story line was pretty intresting. the combat since the first game has improved, and the campagin is massive, its by far the longest ive played in a while and the game is defently worth the price. The game didnt really feel as creepy as the original for me. One thing i love about this game is the 360 motion when in space. The multiplayer is amazing, butDead Space 2 was a great game its story line was pretty intresting. the combat since the first game has improved, and the campagin is massive, its by far the longest ive played in a while and the game is defently worth the price. The game didnt really feel as creepy as the original for me. One thing i love about this game is the 360 motion when in space. The multiplayer is amazing, but feels too much like a Left 4 Dead. Still, the multiplayer is fun and its something that you can play for ages. The campagin continues on from the first game but this time gives Issac a voice, i like this because it gave more life to issac rather than him just being a brain dead space engineer. The new suits are pretty nice looking, and the new enemys are great. This game is so worth buying and i dont know whats really bad about it. Expand
  66. Jul 31, 2011
    Unfortunately the excellent puzzle solving elements which formed an integral part of the first Dead Space is very much lacking in Dead space 2 and has been replaced by more difficult combat situations which seem take periodic cheap shots at the player and can easily frustrate. However, it is still an enjoyable game and worth playing.
  67. Jul 10, 2011
    This game has much better pacing than the first one and much more diverse areas which made it more interesting to play. Also with ammo made more scarce and a much harder game this game is an even better game than the first one also the longer campaign and more satisfying ending also are in its favor.
  68. Jun 27, 2011
    Compared to the original, Dead Space 2 is an improvement across the board. The horror in the first game was seriously lacking and though it hasn't changed much in the second game, the larger focus on action held my interest. The Sprawl is a more vibrant location than the Ishimura (the main reason being that every corridor doesn't look the same). The story and characters are slightly betterCompared to the original, Dead Space 2 is an improvement across the board. The horror in the first game was seriously lacking and though it hasn't changed much in the second game, the larger focus on action held my interest. The Sprawl is a more vibrant location than the Ishimura (the main reason being that every corridor doesn't look the same). The story and characters are slightly better this time around, though it is still hard to immerse yourself in the former and connect with the latter. Isaac has a voice this time around but nothing about his personality rises above "default video game hero". He says and does what we expect he would do, making him merely adequate. The dementia scenes are a nice touch to the game though they don't add much. The gameplay is largely the same as its predecessor except with a few new necromorphs and weapons. This isn't a bad thing considering that the gameplay was the best thing about the first game. Zero gravity scenarios are vastly improved as are the cinematic action sequences. Though it doesn't expand too much on the original game, Dead Space 2 is a game worth playing. Expand
  69. T-A
    Jun 18, 2011
    Fans of Dead Space 1 will enjoy returning to deep space survival horror in Dead Space 2. Updated mechanics make shopping easier and shooting more intuitive. Punching is somewhat effective, but stomping on everything can be gratuitous. Most notably, I appreciate hearing Issac Clarkeâ
  70. Jun 1, 2011
    The Dead Space story and games 1 & 2 are some of my all time favorites. Revives the horror survival genre all on its own. This is coming from a true games who plays a lot of every type of genre, and considers Dead Space to be one of the best of them all. Great action, great story, good scares, altogether a game you shouldn't miss if you haven't picked up already. What are you waitingThe Dead Space story and games 1 & 2 are some of my all time favorites. Revives the horror survival genre all on its own. This is coming from a true games who plays a lot of every type of genre, and considers Dead Space to be one of the best of them all. Great action, great story, good scares, altogether a game you shouldn't miss if you haven't picked up already. What are you waiting for? Altman be praised. Expand
  71. May 29, 2011
    Not a good game for wheel chair users! Dead space is set in the future. A future with space ships, mechs, laser guns, cloning etc .... so why are levels full of wheelchairs from the 1950s. It is like the future people decided that all disabled people must be punished and force to have crappy wheelchairs. "No you cannot have a mech suit or new legs. You must use this 1950s wheelchair". ThisNot a good game for wheel chair users! Dead space is set in the future. A future with space ships, mechs, laser guns, cloning etc .... so why are levels full of wheelchairs from the 1950s. It is like the future people decided that all disabled people must be punished and force to have crappy wheelchairs. "No you cannot have a mech suit or new legs. You must use this 1950s wheelchair". This spoilt what would be a great game. Now I cannot feel sorry for these people Expand
  72. May 26, 2011
    A fantastic game. A shooter with a really good story. The controls, the graphics, the voice acting are all brilliant. I loved the first game and this is even better. The sense of dread as to when the next xenomorph is going to jump out at you had me on the edge of seat. I'm so proud to say that I played on "Zealot" the hardest difficulty. While there where times I wanted to throw theA fantastic game. A shooter with a really good story. The controls, the graphics, the voice acting are all brilliant. I loved the first game and this is even better. The sense of dread as to when the next xenomorph is going to jump out at you had me on the edge of seat. I'm so proud to say that I played on "Zealot" the hardest difficulty. While there where times I wanted to throw the control pad at the screen the payoff for getting past a mass ambush is outstatanding. A must own game. Expand
  73. May 25, 2011
    I love this game. The singleplayer is awesome and has some pretty creepy moments. Has a well paced and good story. It is replayable and is about 8-12 hours long. The some problems are that it tries way to many jump scares on you and that the multiplayer is not that good.
  74. May 21, 2011
    Gameplay: Awesome! This is one of the better games I have played as a third person shooter. I am very into FPS so this was a little different. The storyline was a linear one but the you had free reign over the way you completed it. My first go through I used about 80% kinesis. My second play through on Zealot mode I used 90% weapons and at full upgrade. You can easily beat it once andGameplay: Awesome! This is one of the better games I have played as a third person shooter. I am very into FPS so this was a little different. The storyline was a linear one but the you had free reign over the way you completed it. My first go through I used about 80% kinesis. My second play through on Zealot mode I used 90% weapons and at full upgrade. You can easily beat it once and attain 700 chevo points.

Graphics: Excellent cut scenes throughout, a majority are fully rendered and you can die about 20 different ways, all animated.

Suggestions: This game had its intense moments, however I kind of wish I could go into options and choose enemy respawn or something along the lines of that. You sometimes find yourself trying to gather supplies but there are no more monsters. You should be able to save and come back in to smoke them again.

Overall this game was great! I didn't play Deadspace 1 but the optional recap at the beginning was a nice touch. The game was fun enough for me to play it through on two settings, which is rare for me. The achievements were very possible.
  75. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = The best survival horror game is resident evil 4, but this is a very close second. It fuses action with horror so perfectly that I couldn't stop playing. This game actually got the better of me at times. Terrible online component unfortunately.
  76. Apr 23, 2011
    Dead space 2 is the resi 4 of this generation just forget the multiplayer exists. The story is much better this time around it is a bit more action orientated but it is still scary when the enemies jump out of vents this time they do so with much more oomph and energy than before and the game is also harder and is chocked full of replayability.
  77. Apr 23, 2011
    Disclaiming: I never played Dead Space 1. However, Dead Space 2 really got my attention and I had a great time playing the game. It's a bit repetitive, but other than that the game, story and concept is one that I fell in love with. Well done, well worth the time and money.
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    It's Ton of fun, huge improvement from the first one. Multiplayer is pretty fun. The campaign lasted, for me on normal, for 14 hours. Long, action packed campaign, which really improved the action from the first one. You will just out of you seat at times. You heart will be pounding into you chest, trying to break through. Great sequel, great action. Highly recommend.
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    Better than the original but not by much. Also the multiplayer mode is pointless and adds nothing to the game. However, it is still the best horror game of the year.
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    Overall game experience is similar to the first one. One of the better survival horror series out there. Would have given it a higher score if there was more value associated with it. I bought the collector's edition, but found out that the PS3 version had an additional game included with it for the same price. Same crap with Dante's Inferno. Some damn developer as well, Visceral Games. OfOverall game experience is similar to the first one. One of the better survival horror series out there. Would have given it a higher score if there was more value associated with it. I bought the collector's edition, but found out that the PS3 version had an additional game included with it for the same price. Same crap with Dante's Inferno. Some damn developer as well, Visceral Games. Of course this could have been EA's decision, which makes it even worse. Most of their games sell better on the Xbox 360, but they alienate do this crap to them. I wouldn't have wasted my money on the collector's edition if I knew about it before hand; my fault there. Not going to waste any more money on companies that do this. I'll just rent or buy used. Expand
  81. Apr 16, 2011
    Really all I can say about this game is 'Pure Genius'. I loved Dead Space 1 and this is no exception, better gameplay (well, similar but polished and perfected) and better story, it would have got a 10/10 if it was longer (and also because you get 2 discs so you expect it to be quite long but then your hopes get shot down when somehow it turns out to be only 7-8 hours for your firstReally all I can say about this game is 'Pure Genius'. I loved Dead Space 1 and this is no exception, better gameplay (well, similar but polished and perfected) and better story, it would have got a 10/10 if it was longer (and also because you get 2 discs so you expect it to be quite long but then your hopes get shot down when somehow it turns out to be only 7-8 hours for your first playthough whereas the single disked Dead Space 1 is 9-10 hours for its first playthough) but I did seem to make the game last through about 7 playthoughs and rising. In the run up to my Dead Space 2 copy arriving I was playing Dead Space 1 which turned out to be a bad idea because the slight change in controls made me either quick heal myself when I didn't want to or when I wanted to reload nothing would happen, damn button changes! When I look down the reviews I can't help but laugh at the flaws I see in the low scoring reviews such as one person saying that, 'In Dead Space one at least you get 6 cool suits and in Dead Space 2, 4 crappy suits,' what he fails to realize is that 4 of the suits on Dead Space 1 are just a variation of the first one and the 6th one just made you look like a Combine Elite from Half-Life which really didn't fit the mood, although I have to agree that the suits from Dead Space 1, minus the Combine Elite Suit, was cooler than any of the suits from Dead Space 2 but I'm not so stuck in the past that I cry about it. Also when they complain about Dead Space 1 being scarier than Dead Space 2 and therefore Dead Space 2 is immediately crap, Dead Space 1 was scarier but in the end Dead Space games just aren't that scary overall, and besides, I play Dead Space for the gameplay and the story not the scare factor, the odd jump here and there is fun though. Lastly all the low reviewers say that the story made no sense, seen as they all seem like the person who I have quoted it makes perfect sense, they're all brain dead from playing too much Dead Space 1, maybe if they finally left the Ishimura then they could see some brain functions finally return to them. With my hating of the haters over I will now mention the multiplayer, a Left 4 Dead styled multiplayer where you take turns as the infected or a squad of 4 Titan Security Personal, the Security must complete objectives whilst the infected try to kill them. They give you no tutorial to using the infected so you first few games as the infected are mainly spent wondering, 'How did that infected jump on him,' which you eventually figure out and then it's smooth sailing from there on. That's really all I have to say about the multiplayer, I got to into playing the campaign to play much multiplayer. Expand
  82. Apr 8, 2011
    I'm not usually a fan of video games that are very linear, but Dead Space 2 is the exception. If anyone were to get the full experience from this game they would need to play at night with very little lighting (apart from the television) and no company. The asthetics aren't the best, but they suit the game very well. Like most video games it doesn't have a very deep or expansive story,I'm not usually a fan of video games that are very linear, but Dead Space 2 is the exception. If anyone were to get the full experience from this game they would need to play at night with very little lighting (apart from the television) and no company. The asthetics aren't the best, but they suit the game very well. Like most video games it doesn't have a very deep or expansive story, however it is definitely enough to keep you playing. This game will keep you engaged, adrenaline-pumping and on the edge of your seat. If you were ever considering playing it, do yourself a favour and buy it. Expand
  83. Apr 6, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. The creepy atmosphere is awesome. The graphics are also very nice. The game play is fluid and really easy to pick up. Some of the levels have some of the most twisted settings I have seen in a video game.
  84. Mar 31, 2011
    the reason i gave it a nine is because i felt there was a little lack of overall variety in enemies,weapons,suits... Else this game is just perfect! Spooky , Thrilling , Fun!!
    Killing Necromorphs is one of the most satisfying feeling EVAR! :D
  85. Mar 24, 2011
    Buy. Dead Space 2 brings back the survival horror genre, for me, that I've been thirsting for since original Resident Evil. It takes everything Dead Space did right, fine tuned some things that were weak and made on heck of a late night fright game. The story picks up a couple years after DS1 and is just as gripping and twisted as the first. Playing this late at night, lights out,Buy. Dead Space 2 brings back the survival horror genre, for me, that I've been thirsting for since original Resident Evil. It takes everything Dead Space did right, fine tuned some things that were weak and made on heck of a late night fright game. The story picks up a couple years after DS1 and is just as gripping and twisted as the first. Playing this late at night, lights out, headphones on will make you want to drop your controller more than once. Finished it on Zealot setting after New Game+ completed and had a wonderful time the second time through. Included in DS2 is also MP mode. To be honest, I did not enjoy it for more than one hour, but its a nice addition that will add replayability if you enjoy the MP. Expand
  86. Mar 19, 2011
    I have to admit that I was expecting more from Dead Space 2 during my first playthrough. Despite the rather adrenaline-pumping start to the game, as the shock wore off I realized that I wasn't seeing enough that was new. I had seen a few new guns and enemies, some refined controls, and a faster-paced storyline, but overall the experience felt the same as the first one (andI have to admit that I was expecting more from Dead Space 2 during my first playthrough. Despite the rather adrenaline-pumping start to the game, as the shock wore off I realized that I wasn't seeing enough that was new. I had seen a few new guns and enemies, some refined controls, and a faster-paced storyline, but overall the experience felt the same as the first one (and disappointingly shorter too). Then I started Round 2...and Round 3...and Round 4...and I realized that I loved the fact that the changes were subtle. The first Dead Space was a near-perfect game to begin with, and the sequel improves upon that experience with an incredibly long list of those subtle changes: from the ability to switch difficulty between rounds, to the imposing Hard Core mode, to being able to free-float and fight in space, Dead Space 2 takes everything that was good about the first one and makes it better. Can't possibly go wrong picking this up. Expand
  87. Mar 19, 2011
    best game yet! Really like it. Visceral did the best survival horror. Passed in one go from start to finish. I like EA games and Dead Space 2 is the best of they.вÑ
  88. Mar 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's surely difficult for a game with the success that the original Dead Space had upon it's release to improve upon itself whilst adding to what has gone before with it's sequel. Dead Space 2 does just that.

The game itself has many stand out moments and set pieces, down to the very way in which Isaac recovers his equipment from the last game, something that could easily have been more pedestrian in a lesser game and would have gone unconsidered/unnoticed. Overall, well thought out and great fun.
  89. Mar 18, 2011
    Quite simply not as good as the first story wise, still a good game but could have been much better. Graphics are great but the story left me feeling that it could and should have been better. Problem was it hard act to follow and I loved the first Dead Space.
  90. Mar 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game the best dead space it great the game have a good looking graphic and awesome gameplay the game have great game scenes like fight in space it is game that places a new standard for horror games You need to play this game,but don t show it to your mother becouse YOUR MOTHER HATES THIS Expand
  91. Mar 17, 2011
    I finished this game on Zealot mode in the first time that i played and i have to say that it was amazing! I never had so much fun trying to go trough a level time and time again! The combat is amazing only thing i have to complain is the history. Come on people! What are you doing with all the cliff hangers on the end of every dawn game! Sure we discovered some interesting things aboutI finished this game on Zealot mode in the first time that i played and i have to say that it was amazing! I never had so much fun trying to go trough a level time and time again! The combat is amazing only thing i have to complain is the history. Come on people! What are you doing with all the cliff hangers on the end of every dawn game! Sure we discovered some interesting things about Issac, but he's not even close to put and end to the necromorphs menace! Expand
  92. Mar 17, 2011
    I am fed up jumping and screaming,im a grown man for goodness sake....started on disc 2...out of credits meds and ammo...i think i hear something sounds like a baby???....great game....graphics & atmosphere...hollywood take note..bring on deads space 3.....

'
  93. Mar 16, 2011
    Why would you give this game a ten out of ten, i'm sorry but why? I'm not gonna say everyone's fanboys but I cant see your reason. I love DS1, it is ranked way up there in my top ten but what DS1 did was new and scary and actually interesting, it had a fudging story! DS2 is a tedious romp through repetetive areas that get old. The puzzles are awfull i have to say and the enemies are theWhy would you give this game a ten out of ten, i'm sorry but why? I'm not gonna say everyone's fanboys but I cant see your reason. I love DS1, it is ranked way up there in my top ten but what DS1 did was new and scary and actually interesting, it had a fudging story! DS2 is a tedious romp through repetetive areas that get old. The puzzles are awfull i have to say and the enemies are the same, come on at least change a bit, oh look babies thats it really and they get old too after the tenth time it to minutes almost getting killed, i found that i had to put on the hardest difficulty after half an hour. Its not even scary, in DS1 i had to have all the lights on and the curtains open in the day to play it, this... i would give this to my six year old brother. It is an awfull game not worth buying even if you want the online which is even worse as it is just as repetetive and dull, God save anyone who buys it. Expand
  94. Mar 16, 2011
    Spread across two discs, Dead Space 2 is a fun action game with some horror-driven elements. The story is more streamlined (and linear) this time as you play Isaac Clarke, the protagonist from the first game. Giving Isaac a voice was an excellent decision on the designer's part as you now have a personal connection to his struggles. The controls are also much more responsive and smoothSpread across two discs, Dead Space 2 is a fun action game with some horror-driven elements. The story is more streamlined (and linear) this time as you play Isaac Clarke, the protagonist from the first game. Giving Isaac a voice was an excellent decision on the designer's part as you now have a personal connection to his struggles. The controls are also much more responsive and smooth making playing Dead Space 2 a blast! Unfortunately, like Dead Space 1, DS2 lacks any real scares or fear-inducing elements. Isaac is so beefed up you'll find yourselves chasing down enemies rather than reluctantly pressing on. It's a great action title that still hasn't exploited it's horror elements to it's potential. Expand
  95. CPB
    Mar 15, 2011
    Dead Space 2 is slicker and more action packed then it's predecessor, this is both good and bad, and I will explain why. But lets start with the good, the combat is faster, more enemy types, and a deeper narrative. Now for the bad every second a enemy jumps out of a vent and by the fifth hundred time it happens it becomes annoying and dampens the feel of the game. So overall very goodDead Space 2 is slicker and more action packed then it's predecessor, this is both good and bad, and I will explain why. But lets start with the good, the combat is faster, more enemy types, and a deeper narrative. Now for the bad every second a enemy jumps out of a vent and by the fifth hundred time it happens it becomes annoying and dampens the feel of the game. So overall very good game, and a little bit better then the original. Expand
  96. Mar 15, 2011
    Dead Space is the best recent survival horror game out there. The original game took pleasure in messing with your head and building suspense from just the atmosphere alone. This time around, it seems like EA was going more for terror by numbers and cheap scares. Despite this fact, the story was still very well written and you got the opportunity to get to know what kind of person IsaacDead Space is the best recent survival horror game out there. The original game took pleasure in messing with your head and building suspense from just the atmosphere alone. This time around, it seems like EA was going more for terror by numbers and cheap scares. Despite this fact, the story was still very well written and you got the opportunity to get to know what kind of person Isaac Clark is. Although non-stop action doesn't usually go over very well for most games (unless you are a huge fan of Michael Bay productions, or anything that favors style over substance), it seemed to be pretty well balanced by the events that transpire throughout the game. It pulls you in from the beginning and refuses to let go. Expand
  97. Mar 15, 2011
    As much as I would have like this game to be a perfect 10, and as much as when I was playing it I wanted to say, "This is awesome!!", I have to admit there wasn't much there to make me feel like I thought it was even a decent sequel to Dead Space, which I had rented and returned one week late because I was so obsessed with playing it. There were many core things that I couldn't understandAs much as I would have like this game to be a perfect 10, and as much as when I was playing it I wanted to say, "This is awesome!!", I have to admit there wasn't much there to make me feel like I thought it was even a decent sequel to Dead Space, which I had rented and returned one week late because I was so obsessed with playing it. There were many core things that I couldn't understand weren't in this "monster of a sequel":
    1) Where are the huge bosses? I don't recall seeing a one. The final boss was just plain annoying, not epic or anything...
    2) Where are the cool repair missions and the complete feeling of being two steps behind all the time, survival seeming impossible..
    3) Where are the cool characters you meet and love but don't trust at all?
    4) WHY OH WHY DOES ISAAC TALK.....WHY???? Him not speaking was half the mystery about the protagonist they had created. They removed all doubt about his character or 'mystery'...this might seem like a small detail but for me this was huge. I found it strange and out of place that he would speak.
    5) The new guns are VERY uncreative...one gun is the same as what you can do with kinesis..but wait....they added a SNIPER RIFLE...? Dead Space was all about creative weapons, and just plain tools you'd see around.
    6) Online feels like it was thrown in just to please all the YouTube whiners who want a multiplayer experience in every single game they play. Why are gamers like that now? What happened to creating a really really good single player experience..? Felt like a ripoff of Left 4 Dead..
    7) The new aliens don't really do anything for me...enough said.
    8) The gore was REALLY upgraded, a sign of making up for shortcomings...aka becoming a typical survival-horror shooter..
    9) Suits were boring and were basically 3 or 4 archetypes and then all that changed were the colours. COME ON...
    10) Game felt repetetive, the hack puzzles were unimaginative and boring, story sucked, and really didn't make sense at all...

Ok so now that I'm dwelling on the negative, I do have some things I think they improved:

1) They shooting mechanics felt much better, I thought they were and improvement, including the reloading animations especially for the plasma cutter.
    2) It's Dead Space. Enough said...
    3) Hard Core mode looks like I'll never ever beat it...
    4) Graphics were really really good.
    5) Hey, at least they released a sequel

All that being said, the game was alright, there were times when I thought it was pretty good, and times when I felt ripped off. All in all, I give this game a 5 because of the fact that it really didn't live up to Dead Space 1. It's not an innovative addition to the series, it added boring multiplayer and a streamlined single player experience. If you don't get the online pass, don't bother. I'm really in the minority here, but hopefully some people can read a review from someone who absolutely LOVES Dead Space and considers the series one of the very absolute favorites.
  98. Mar 14, 2011
    When i played the 1st dead space, i went in with not much expectation, that was soon changed as i experienced what has to be a masterpiece of its genre, dead space 2 lives up to its predecessor almost instantly, with more refined game play elements alone side an exciting and horrifying atmosphere that really pulls you into whats and holds you right to the end.
  99. Mar 13, 2011
    I complete improvement from the first game. The story is not terribly eventful, but the characters (particularly Isaac) are far more fleshed out and show development over the course of the game, and this is really what sells the narrative. The gameplay feels finer and more carefully calibrated. Isaac is quicker on his feet and quicker to act. Gone are the tank like movements of the firstI complete improvement from the first game. The story is not terribly eventful, but the characters (particularly Isaac) are far more fleshed out and show development over the course of the game, and this is really what sells the narrative. The gameplay feels finer and more carefully calibrated. Isaac is quicker on his feet and quicker to act. Gone are the tank like movements of the first game. But of all things, the design has been improved by far the most. I still can't call the game scary, but it certainly tries far harder to be then the first game. The audio is beautifully executed, with close and ambient sounds constantly making you guess at what's at the next encounter. The graphics have a slight improvement, and it shows with the sight of enemies, which seem far more nightmarish looking . The setting for the game also helps. Set in The Sprawl, a city on one of Saturn's moons, the game feels far larger in scope then its predecessor and gives the experience and overall grander feel. DS2 is a game that plays with you at times, not just the other way around. All in all, a wonderful evolution from the first game. Can't wait to see what's in store for DS3. Expand
  100. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To me, this game is epic.
    First, the survival horror feeling you have, just remember it in games like Silent Hill 1 and 2 and Resident Evil 1 and 2.
    The first Dead Space was good, but undoubtedly far exceeds in all respects.
    If there is any complaint you may get, is the lack of bosses with respect to 1, but the action that has at all times fully compensates without making a boring game.

1. May 24, 2011
    The transition between CGI and gameplay delivers a great horror atmosphere. Isaac Clarke's got personality and we are only missing some bigger bossfights.
  2. Mar 24, 2011
    With this sequel, Visceral Games has masterfully expanded on the first Dead Space. They've revved up the series with tougher guns, a bigger setting, and online multiplayer, but kept the spirit and, most importantly, the scares of the original in tact.
  3. Mar 23, 2011
    I was expecting Dead Space 2 to be a great game, but it exceeded my expectations with beautiful, creative environments and a large array of both enemies and weapons with which to kill them.