Dead Space 2 Xbox 360

8.6

1. May 27, 2012
    This game was a huge letdown for me. The first one blew me away I was looking forward to this game so bad. The story was barely there, the action was pretty cool, and there were some cool elements, but it just felt lackluster.
  2. May 7, 2013
    The game is more intense than the first one, but in the mean time lost almost all the scary factors. I don't know what I expected from this game, but whatever it was, the game didnt meet it. the game is surely with a lot of tension, if you die, ok, you die horribly, in the most violent way in game history (IMO), it is not scary, it is just sick to me. other than that. the game is stillThe game is more intense than the first one, but in the mean time lost almost all the scary factors. I don't know what I expected from this game, but whatever it was, the game didnt meet it. the game is surely with a lot of tension, if you die, ok, you die horribly, in the most violent way in game history (IMO), it is not scary, it is just sick to me. other than that. the game is still unique and worth experiencing. Expand
  3. Feb 6, 2011
    The original Dead Space is a classic one of my favourite games which makes Dead Space 2 even more of a let down that it actually is. It almost feels as if EA said you can make a second one but make it on rails so people don't get lost and copy a few more monsters from left 4 dead. It has lost the whole experience that was Dead Space and is now just a generic on rails space shooter withThe original Dead Space is a classic one of my favourite games which makes Dead Space 2 even more of a let down that it actually is. It almost feels as if EA said you can make a second one but make it on rails so people don't get lost and copy a few more monsters from left 4 dead. It has lost the whole experience that was Dead Space and is now just a generic on rails space shooter with gore. The new Left 4 Dead monsters unbalance the game so now you have one way to play, back into a corner with as much ammo and health as possible and keep shooting, it has lost all the tension and variation in game play that the original had. If this was just another shooter I'd probably give it a 7 but as it is they have ruined the chance to create a great sequel and with cash in crap like Ignition, an on line pass and DLC announced before the games even released a 5 is generous. Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    As much as I would have like this game to be a perfect 10, and as much as when I was playing it I wanted to say, "This is awesome!!", I have to admit there wasn't much there to make me feel like I thought it was even a decent sequel to Dead Space, which I had rented and returned one week late because I was so obsessed with playing it. There were many core things that I couldn't understandAs much as I would have like this game to be a perfect 10, and as much as when I was playing it I wanted to say, "This is awesome!!", I have to admit there wasn't much there to make me feel like I thought it was even a decent sequel to Dead Space, which I had rented and returned one week late because I was so obsessed with playing it. There were many core things that I couldn't understand weren't in this "monster of a sequel":
    1) Where are the huge bosses? I don't recall seeing a one. The final boss was just plain annoying, not epic or anything...
    2) Where are the cool repair missions and the complete feeling of being two steps behind all the time, survival seeming impossible..
    3) Where are the cool characters you meet and love but don't trust at all?
    4) WHY OH WHY DOES ISAAC TALK.....WHY???? Him not speaking was half the mystery about the protagonist they had created. They removed all doubt about his character or 'mystery'...this might seem like a small detail but for me this was huge. I found it strange and out of place that he would speak.
    5) The new guns are VERY uncreative...one gun is the same as what you can do with kinesis..but wait....they added a SNIPER RIFLE...? Dead Space was all about creative weapons, and just plain tools you'd see around.
    6) Online feels like it was thrown in just to please all the YouTube whiners who want a multiplayer experience in every single game they play. Why are gamers like that now? What happened to creating a really really good single player experience..? Felt like a ripoff of Left 4 Dead..
    7) The new aliens don't really do anything for me...enough said.
    8) The gore was REALLY upgraded, a sign of making up for shortcomings...aka becoming a typical survival-horror shooter..
    9) Suits were boring and were basically 3 or 4 archetypes and then all that changed were the colours. COME ON...
    10) Game felt repetetive, the hack puzzles were unimaginative and boring, story sucked, and really didn't make sense at all...

Ok so now that I'm dwelling on the negative, I do have some things I think they improved:

1) They shooting mechanics felt much better, I thought they were and improvement, including the reloading animations especially for the plasma cutter.
    2) It's Dead Space. Enough said...
    3) Hard Core mode looks like I'll never ever beat it...
    4) Graphics were really really good.
    5) Hey, at least they released a sequel

All that being said, the game was alright, there were times when I thought it was pretty good, and times when I felt ripped off. All in all, I give this game a 5 because of the fact that it really didn't live up to Dead Space 1. It's not an innovative addition to the series, it added boring multiplayer and a streamlined single player experience. If you don't get the online pass, don't bother. I'm really in the minority here, but hopefully some people can read a review from someone who absolutely LOVES Dead Space and considers the series one of the very absolute favorites.
  5. Aug 9, 2011
    Dead Space was an inevitable progression of the survival horror genre, taking cues from the latest iterations of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. It was (is) a perfect video game. The gorgeous graphics, tense atmosphere, kickass silent protagonist decked out in super cool space mining armor, and very satisfying limb-slicing gameplay all added up to a pitch perfect experience that I imaginedDead Space was an inevitable progression of the survival horror genre, taking cues from the latest iterations of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. It was (is) a perfect video game. The gorgeous graphics, tense atmosphere, kickass silent protagonist decked out in super cool space mining armor, and very satisfying limb-slicing gameplay all added up to a pitch perfect experience that I imagined EA and Visceral would have a difficult time topping, or even matching. I was right. Dead Space 2 doesn't improve on the formula, but instead rehashes it completely while adding some unnecessary flourishes and removes some fun and exciting elements found in the first game. A couple new enemies and guns are available, as well as a flexible (but rarely used and poorly implemented) anti-gravity control scheme and the occasional single pane of fragile glass waiting to send you and your enemies into the depths of space. The other additions are much less palatable, such as the ever-pandering multiplayer mode and Isaac's new vocal chords. Instead of potentially becoming the next silent space-scouring Samus, Isaac has been transformed into your boring, everyday, disgustingly relatable and forever-swearing meathead with a couple of shallow demons on his back that frankly serve more to annoy the player rather than bothering to tell a story with depth and the grandeur that being a lone future space psuedo-solider/hero should provide. Isaac's mystery is gone in the interest of makin dem BroBucks. The disappointments don't end there, as the removal of some key distractions from the endless room-clearing, move on, press switch gameplay progression are sorely missed. No asteroid blasting, no shooting range, no Zero G Basketball. The puzzles are also very very scarce and weak and would have helped greatly in pacing the decimation of the hordes of enemies you encounter throughout the game, especially towards the end. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in Dead Space 2 though, as it's just enough of a sequel to qualify as one, but once it fulfills its (excellent) jump scares and flawless limb-chopping combat within a game engine that just won't quit, I'm still left feeling dissatisfied and listless. If Dead Space is truly going to become another regular or yearly franchise for EA, then I expect the dilution will continue until the original blood-smeared, helpless aura of the original is reduced to it's bare combat bones even more completely. Expand
  6. May 29, 2011
    Not a good game for wheel chair users! Dead space is set in the future. A future with space ships, mechs, laser guns, cloning etc .... so why are levels full of wheelchairs from the 1950s. It is like the future people decided that all disabled people must be punished and force to have crappy wheelchairs. "No you cannot have a mech suit or new legs. You must use this 1950s wheelchair". ThisNot a good game for wheel chair users! Dead space is set in the future. A future with space ships, mechs, laser guns, cloning etc .... so why are levels full of wheelchairs from the 1950s. It is like the future people decided that all disabled people must be punished and force to have crappy wheelchairs. "No you cannot have a mech suit or new legs. You must use this 1950s wheelchair". This spoilt what would be a great game. Now I cannot feel sorry for these people Expand
  7. Feb 12, 2011
    Why are people writing reviews of this game before even finishing it? Premature reviews aside, this is a fantastic game. Certainly not a ten, but not a five either. I feel like the developers really listened to the criticism that fans gave of the first game, improving a lot of the mechanics. What I feel they lacked in this sequel was staying true to the roots of the first game thatWhy are people writing reviews of this game before even finishing it? Premature reviews aside, this is a fantastic game. Certainly not a ten, but not a five either. I feel like the developers really listened to the criticism that fans gave of the first game, improving a lot of the mechanics. What I feel they lacked in this sequel was staying true to the roots of the first game that made it scary in the first place. Dark, cramped areas with little room to run away from the scary creatures, with very limited ammo. I'm sure there are gamers out there that complained about the lack of decor in the first game, but now that they have it on this giant space station, are they satisfied with the result? Did it really make them more fearful and cringe at the thought of another necromorph right around the corner ready to pop out? Who knows. Maybe they can get the recipe right for the third... Expand
  8. Jul 31, 2011
    Unfortunately the excellent puzzle solving elements which formed an integral part of the first Dead Space is very much lacking in Dead space 2 and has been replaced by more difficult combat situations which seem take periodic cheap shots at the player and can easily frustrate. However, it is still an enjoyable game and worth playing.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Overall game experience is similar to the first one. One of the better survival horror series out there. Would have given it a higher score if there was more value associated with it. I bought the collector's edition, but found out that the PS3 version had an additional game included with it for the same price. Same crap with Dante's Inferno. Some damn developer as well, Visceral Games. OfOverall game experience is similar to the first one. One of the better survival horror series out there. Would have given it a higher score if there was more value associated with it. I bought the collector's edition, but found out that the PS3 version had an additional game included with it for the same price. Same crap with Dante's Inferno. Some damn developer as well, Visceral Games. Of course this could have been EA's decision, which makes it even worse. Most of their games sell better on the Xbox 360, but they alienate do this crap to them. I wouldn't have wasted my money on the collector's edition if I knew about it before hand; my fault there. Not going to waste any more money on companies that do this. I'll just rent or buy used. Expand
  10. Nov 5, 2011
    Dead Space was a remarkable achievement since the resident evil days in the survival horror genre. I love the game so much and is my top 10 best games of all time. But Dead space 2 was a truly big disaapointment. It didnt deliver like the first game did. There was no scary moments and you just knew when stuff was going to pop up. Another thing was no huge boss battles like the first oneDead Space was a remarkable achievement since the resident evil days in the survival horror genre. I love the game so much and is my top 10 best games of all time. But Dead space 2 was a truly big disaapointment. It didnt deliver like the first game did. There was no scary moments and you just knew when stuff was going to pop up. Another thing was no huge boss battles like the first one had. It was mostly rinse and repeat of the same enemies over and over. It was more action driven like resident evil 5. Another thing that bothered me was that they always wanted to show his face. I didnt like this because I wanted to feel like I was the character in the suit. By showing his face it took alot of what the character supposed to be. The weapons,controls,camera, and gameplay are top notch. Story plot was fairly obvious and didnt supply any new insight the origins of the creatures. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2011
    Even, if games like Dead Space 2 aren't scary, this game is still very good. The action is well done, the sounds of the game has been done very well and the graphics are great. The story isin't anything interesting though, making excuses to do some more job alone all the time. The game doesn't really add anything new except multiplayer. Other wise you get few weapons, ability to sendEven, if games like Dead Space 2 aren't scary, this game is still very good. The action is well done, the sounds of the game has been done very well and the graphics are great. The story isin't anything interesting though, making excuses to do some more job alone all the time. The game doesn't really add anything new except multiplayer. Other wise you get few weapons, ability to send enemies to space and able to throw spiky objects to them. The multiplayer is also awful. Playing as necromorphs isin't fun, because human team can abuse slo-mo ability all the time and the combat feels stupid and boring. The unlocks also feel useless. I recommend this game only for the single player, which is short too (Only about 6-8 hours). Pros:
    + Graphics
    + Single player's action is great, especially during some scenes
    Cons:
    - Multiplayer
    - Doesn't add enough new stuff to single player
  12. Dec 19, 2011
    Not a huge difference to the first game however the poor gameplay that cropped up from time to time in the first game have been improved and some new creatures have added to the challenge although the expect the unexpected factor of the first game has been lost. Good graphics, a good storyline and decent gameplay make this well worth a playthrough.
  13. Nov 10, 2011
    I thought Dead Space 2 was a pretty good sequel but some parts do get a bit tedious and repetitive. This had allot more surprises and scares than the first as with the first it kinda felt predictable and obvious where the monsters where gonna jump out. I like the way DS2 focused more on the Isaac Clarke and how he struggles with what has happened and the situation hes in. I liked the storyI thought Dead Space 2 was a pretty good sequel but some parts do get a bit tedious and repetitive. This had allot more surprises and scares than the first as with the first it kinda felt predictable and obvious where the monsters where gonna jump out. I like the way DS2 focused more on the Isaac Clarke and how he struggles with what has happened and the situation hes in. I liked the story and had fun cutting monsters into pieces and the fact it uses the inside and outside of the station. Expand
  14. May 25, 2012
    Dead Space 2 retains much of the positives of the original. Its graphics and audio are good, gameplay works and it often has good athmosphere. There are some nice jump scares, exciting fights and good set pieces (Bird tower, train, Isaac's hallucinations) and the new thruster pack is great.

Nevertheless DS2 falls short compared to the original. DS2 is shorter despite being on 2 DVDs. Moreover there's very little plot involved, Isaac is asked to move to his objective where, after some hasty 5 second scene, he is instantly shoved towards the next one. The sense of progression was superior in Dead Space 1. There every action mattered, but here Isaac rushes from meaningless scene to another. There are some villains and allies, none of which seem to have any significance. The game seems drawn out and padded, having a sizable bit set on revisiting Ishimura without proper reason just makes the impression worse.

Additionally the new locale is very unimpressive compared to derelict Ishimura from DS1. Titan was supposedly a populated place, but that doesn't show. Isaac is pretty much the only one alive and he really starts to feel like a some sort of superhero. The chance to use other survivors and horror of the outbreak is wasted. Storywise I also found it odd how necromorps actually have their defenders, in DS1 I was able to shrug it off by thinking Marker must affect people and make them mad, but here I don't see why anyone would think they're a good thing. The story hints that there will be a lot more Markers and necromorphs which seems absolutely ridicilous to me. Beating a dead horse and all that.

Gameplaywise there isn't much to complain about. The game is still fun and exciting, though I'm a bit dissapointed how fast-paced and exhausting the series got. Isaac wanders around the station killing hundreds of monsters and there really is no sense of horror here, I rarely had shortage of ammo or health, or oxygen. That is made worse by some of the new aliens: the stalkers preying in the dark behave more comically than fearsomely, and the child enemies are just campy. On a smaller note I feel gore and splatter replaced the last bit of solitary eerie horror DS1 had, everyone dies graphically and the needle part is completely unnecessary. Still, the common necromorphs are some of the best enemies in games, quickly shooting off their claws is always satisfying. Combat feels good and there were some clever intense bits. Despite of the increased pace the game still has good inventory and store systems as well as non-regenerating health and conserving ammo is still important.

Summary: All in all the game is still technically good quality just like Dead Space 1. I wanted to play through it fast and see what happens next. However in the end, looking back, I was left with a sour taste and little hope for the future. DS2 seems rushed and lacking thought, while also suffering from the common actionizing that games are having. I can't see the series continuing and improving, seems like Dead Space 1 was the pinnacle of this series, this generation's Resident Evil 1.

***
  15. May 30, 2013
    Dead Space 2 is just average. It seems to rely heavily on jump scares that all use the same formula, doesn't set up much of an atmosphere and it's so easy to kill all of the nercomorphs when you're tripping over ammo. The story isn't as interesting as the first, just Scientology-I mean Unitology trying to take over the galaxy. If you solely liked the game play for Dead Space, then this isDead Space 2 is just average. It seems to rely heavily on jump scares that all use the same formula, doesn't set up much of an atmosphere and it's so easy to kill all of the nercomorphs when you're tripping over ammo. The story isn't as interesting as the first, just Scientology-I mean Unitology trying to take over the galaxy. If you solely liked the game play for Dead Space, then this is for you. Otherwise, stay away from this game. Expand
  16. Jan 3, 2014
    The Dead Space series is nothing to write home about, its chunky controls, lacklustre graphics and boring campaign virtually leaves you with nothing bare creepy deformed enemies or the odd jump scare. So much potential wasted on what could of been an amazing survival horror game. Another disappointment, would not recommended.
  17. Aug 22, 2013
    Compared to the first game, Dead Space 2 was somewhat disappointing. It plays more like an action game, relying more on jump scares than atmospheric creepy-ness. They just send horde after horde at you. I much preferr the slow-paced but thrilling game that Dead Space was. Overall though, Dead Space 2 is still an above-average action game.

1. May 24, 2011
    The transition between CGI and gameplay delivers a great horror atmosphere. Isaac Clarke's got personality and we are only missing some bigger bossfights.
  2. Mar 24, 2011
    With this sequel, Visceral Games has masterfully expanded on the first Dead Space. They've revved up the series with tougher guns, a bigger setting, and online multiplayer, but kept the spirit and, most importantly, the scares of the original in tact.
  3. Mar 23, 2011
    I was expecting Dead Space 2 to be a great game, but it exceeded my expectations with beautiful, creative environments and a large array of both enemies and weapons with which to kill them.