5.1

1. Mar 12, 2013
    I usually try to steer away from DLC. Mainly because more often than not, it should be included with the main game. However, I felt compelled to give DS3:A a go. I will definitely say one thing, it's intense! Much more so that the main game. If you liked DS3, I would have to say this will probably be 10 bucks (same price as a movie) worth spending. +Scary!
    +Intense
    +Adds to the story
    +Intense
    +Adds to the story
    -Short (about 2 hours if played solo)
    -10 buck for said content is a bit steep
    +/- Again, short...but with collectibles. you'll have reasons to play more than once.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    Overall, it's a very good DLC but a bit too short. It took me and a partner 1 hour and a half to complete it. This DLC by far has the creep factor that was missing in the original game. It is three chapters long and make sure to complete the game first before purchasing this DLC! The plot is engaging and has a twist towards the end! If you have 10 dollars to spare, definitely check it out!
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    While short, this was as intense and fun DLC for Dead Space 3. It amps up the gore, language and cultist elements to another level. If you though the main game was creepy, this is even worse (which is good). Not sure I'd say it's worth $10, but it's a nice addition to a great game.
  4. Mar 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Space 3: Awakened may be lacking in content, but it brings back a classic Dead Space vibe.
    ---
    Awakened takes place right after the conclusion of Dead Space 3, and reveals the fate of Isaac Clarke & John Carver whom are very much alive after their ordeal in the vanilla game. After bringing down the moon, the two friends must find a way off of the now devastated Tau Volantis.

Along the way, they start hallucinating pretty badly and start seeing things that aren't really there. Fans will be happy to see Isaac suffers from these again after having it "cured" during the events of Dead Space 2. Sadly, the DLC doesn't reveal how he's seeing these things again, but along the way tensions rise between both Isaac and Carver.

They soon find out that after Danik died in the story of Dead Space 3, a new leader has emerged to form a Unitologist Cult, and he's essentially a mutilated man covered in what seems to be Necromorph limbs. He's terrifying to look at, and to encounter. He appears mainly in hallucination scenes and has this weird "phasing" walk where he'll appear for a mere moment, and vanish again. Very similar to Alma from the FEAR series and it captures horror perfectly. This guy is downright terrifying, and it made everything "uneasy". Not to mention he can Stasis you which can be a pretty bad thing when his followers, or Necromorphs are around.

Eventually, you'll leave Tau Volantis and have to head back to the Terra Nova ship from the Dead Space 3 campaign and attempt to repair the ship, and head back to Earth to warn the planet of an oncoming attack from other Moons because it turns out that they know where Earth is after-all which essentially makes the entirety of Dead Space 3 pointless, and you'll eventually come to find out that Awakened is the "true" ending for Dead Space 3, and opens up the possibility of a Dead Space 4 (which from the ending I'd love to see that happen).

The story doesn't make much sense in Awakened, and it doesn't really explain anything, thus providing a handful of plot-holes. How did Isaac & Carver survive falling to Tau Volantis, and having the Moon hit the planet as well? The DLC doesn't reveal that, and Isaac keeps bringing up "Maybe the Aliens saved us" and to me that just seems stupid. Maybe Visceral Games will reveal how they survived in future DLC, or in the next installment of Dead Space (if it gets developed). That, and how this "Heretic" guy was so quick to take over the lead of the Unitologist's, unless he was already second in command and went nuts just like everyone else from when the Moons broadcasted their arrival. But hey, that's just me speculating. They really don't reveal anything, other than the Moons are coming, and they're going to Earth.

Aside from the silly plot, this DLC feels great and brings back a classic Dead Space experience like I remembered having while playing the first game in the franchise. It's creepy, and the hallucinations work perfectly this time around. Warping your screen, showing dead friends, and even in one instance pitting you against your friend, or so you think. Really adds a new layer to the co-op, and I really dig that and still proves that co-op works perfectly in Dead Space.

The new enemies are really great too. We see some Necromorphs that we haven't seen since Dead Space 2, which is the Pack. Which are essentially children-like Necromorphs that swarm you, and jump around like crazy. I really missed these guys, and seeing them again brought back memories from my favorite Dead Space game. Even the human enemies are perfect this time around, they don't carry and fire-arms (thank-god) but instead have had their arms, or hands cut off and replaced with either Necromorph limbs, or blades, I couldn't really tell because I was too busy trying to kill them. Really added a great new element because you're fighting psychotic, cultists who want nothing more than to chop you up into tiny bits. They creeped me out.

The environments are also bang-on as well. Aside from more blizzard-like and hard to see conditions on Tau Volantis, we get a completely redesigned Terra Nova which has been taken over by said cultists, and it really shows. Crucified Necromorphs & humans cover the hallways, with only candles decorating the hallways. They essentially took the ship, and turned into a Unitologist Church but in a more extreme sense. You feel completely uneasy, and helpless moving through these tight, narrow hallways and I expected all of the crucified, and hanging corpses to leap off the wall and attack me. Environmentally, this DLC blew my socks off. Nailed the horror aspect right on the head.

So, in essence Awakened brought back a classic Dead Space experience that any Dead Space fan should enjoy. It adds new layers to the co-op, adds new achievements, brings out some crazy, and disturbing environments and most of all it's pretty damn scary. The only downside is that you'll finish it in about 90 minutes 2 hours, which is steep.

1. May 9, 2013
    It's borderline slapstick at times. [June 2013, p.75]
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    All of the shooting and stomping and crafting lead Awakened toward a conclusion that left me wanting more, so much so that the original game's ending seems superfluous in hindsight. There's a steady, rhythmic approach to the battles in Awakened that can become repetitive, but they succeed in paving the way for even more future fights.
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    Rather than resolving what came before it, Awakened simply shrugs its shoulders for a couple hours before throwing another cliff-hanger ending your way. Sure, it still plays perfectly well, with plenty of intense dismemberment and a pleasingly varied selection of necromorph enemies to fend off.