Dead Space 3: Awakened Xbox 360

5.1

1. Nov 14, 2013
    The game is about 2 hours long and continues the main storyline which is a plus! I enjoyed it although it did feel a little short but still 10 bucks wasn’t a bad deal. It also seems to set the stage for a Dead Space 4. Get the DLC its extra for those wanting to know the climax.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    While it can be argued(and will) that this DLC is poor due to the longevity of it, it cannot be stressed enough that this still is quite an intriguing add on. The story is good, as well as, the Carver and Isaac dynamic is much more compelling. The question is then asked whether this content is worth the money. It unfortunately is not for anything other then a die hard fan(yours trulyWhile it can be argued(and will) that this DLC is poor due to the longevity of it, it cannot be stressed enough that this still is quite an intriguing add on. The story is good, as well as, the Carver and Isaac dynamic is much more compelling. The question is then asked whether this content is worth the money. It unfortunately is not for anything other then a die hard fan(yours truly included). It is a fantastic way to bridge out after the game, but I feel Dead Space 3 ended on such a stellar note, that there wasn't a compelling reason to continue unless it was more substantial. As it stands this DLC is still good, but the abrupt end as well as cliffhanger also goes out of its way to enthrall as well as irritate its fans. Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    This DLC is NOT worth the 10 dollars you will spend on it. Wait until it goes on sale. The DLC took me about an hour to complete, and it wasn't even an hour's worth of fun entertainment. The DLC takes you to the same locations you've already seen in Dead Space 3 with a few new decorations, but nothing substantial. You literally explore the same hallways you've seen in DS 3, and thereThis DLC is NOT worth the 10 dollars you will spend on it. Wait until it goes on sale. The DLC took me about an hour to complete, and it wasn't even an hour's worth of fun entertainment. The DLC takes you to the same locations you've already seen in Dead Space 3 with a few new decorations, but nothing substantial. You literally explore the same hallways you've seen in DS 3, and there aren't a lot of new enemy types or much variety to warrant a full purchase of this DLC. The new enemies you face in Awakened are frustrating beyond belief. At certain points in the game, the player experiences these psychotic delusions that terribly distort the screen, all the while allowing enemies to spawn right behind your back, which makes them an incredible nuisance to deal with. It's not even the fun sort of challenge that's entertaining to overcome; it's the kind that makes you throw your controller away in anger, because of the DLC's poor gameplay decisions. I don't typically write reviews for games, but I was pretty turned off at Awakened's lack of new content and frustrating level design. If I can save one person from spending $10 dollars on this DLC, then I will have done my job. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    Awakened is Visceral's latest story DLC for Dead Space 3, which can be played both solo or with a Co-op partner. It picks up where the game ended, so don't play this DLC if you haven't yet beaten DS3. Awakened spans 3 chapters, clocking in around 2 hours. There’s collectibles to find much like in the base game, new enemies to fight and a twist ending you don‘t want to miss! It’s wellAwakened is Visceral's latest story DLC for Dead Space 3, which can be played both solo or with a Co-op partner. It picks up where the game ended, so don't play this DLC if you haven't yet beaten DS3. Awakened spans 3 chapters, clocking in around 2 hours. There’s collectibles to find much like in the base game, new enemies to fight and a twist ending you don‘t want to miss! It’s well paced, engaging, and truly scary unlike the original game. This DLC isn’t perfect, though. It‘s a really short and costly piece of DLC, and you find yourself trekking through locations you have already visited, but if you’ve beaten DS3 and want more, then maybe Awakened is for you. Expand
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    The content is great don't get me wrong, but the dlc is just too short for my taste it only takes 1 hour give or take to complete and most definetly wont justify the price tag of 800 microsoft points, it should have been free dlc because it adds more to the ending.
  6. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Dead Space 3's story and conclusion is proportionate to its gameplay. You put in some whiteknuckle, 16-20 hours-long gaming and get a hell of ride. AKA, bang for your buck. Not only does Awkened's gameplay fall pathetically short, it delivers a major faux pas: it piles on too much at the end, plot-wise. it confirms that the story basically means nothing. no matter the efforts of the protagonist, nothing is ever resolved. The opposite in fact. Things are far worse.

To me, this is the development team grinning with satisfaction over how they canoodled their way into extending their employment. The plot needs to make sense. There needs to more creative writing in gaming and after failures like gears of War 3, Assassin's Creed 3. The dialog relationship between carver and clarke is great, but the plot needs to slow down and look at itself or the dead Space franchise is going to end up doing the same campy mistakes GOW and AC did--rely on the gospel of second rate books.

Awakened introduced what could have been a much cooler scenario if things had been diligently cared for. If the suspense was stretched out The cult leader is a fantastic idea for a nemesis, reminiscent of Silent Hill's Pyramidhead. I was really looking forward to encounters with this invincible baddy in tight spaces, but it didn't go that way.

Isaac's hallucinations are an excellent variation on the "jump out at you from air ducts" strategy.

All in all, this felt like a test run. Not a bona fide DLC. I'm grossly disappointed in the cost of this, the lack of endurance the team put into this, and the over-the-top conclusion which felt improportionate to the length of gameplay. If you're a fan of the series, you'll get this no matter what anyone says. I recommend you just read about it and save your money.

1. Games Master UK
    May 9, 2013
    It's borderline slapstick at times. [June 2013, p.75]
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    All of the shooting and stomping and crafting lead Awakened toward a conclusion that left me wanting more, so much so that the original game's ending seems superfluous in hindsight. There's a steady, rhythmic approach to the battles in Awakened that can become repetitive, but they succeed in paving the way for even more future fights.
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    Rather than resolving what came before it, Awakened simply shrugs its shoulders for a couple hours before throwing another cliff-hanger ending your way. Sure, it still plays perfectly well, with plenty of intense dismemberment and a pleasingly varied selection of necromorph enemies to fend off.