Dead Space Xbox 360

8.8

1. Jun 28, 2017
    Dead Space is a great game that still has me convinced that it takes ideas from Resident Evil 4, apply a mixture of Alien and Ben Carpenter's The Thing, and you have a very unsettling and terrifying survival horror game. The Ishimura is a huge ship packed to the brim with monsters and creatures that make tension all the more noted. Seeing Isaac swing his tools to knockback targets andDead Space is a great game that still has me convinced that it takes ideas from Resident Evil 4, apply a mixture of Alien and Ben Carpenter's The Thing, and you have a very unsettling and terrifying survival horror game. The Ishimura is a huge ship packed to the brim with monsters and creatures that make tension all the more noted. Seeing Isaac swing his tools to knockback targets and stomp floor level enemies while grunting the whole way is really great, and using the dismemberment concept is very clever even if it makes the game easier on newer playthroughs. Of course if you want a challenge, you can always start on higher difficulties like Impossible and Hard mode.

The HUD system is very creative and in some ways outstanding because it allows better immersion and realism to Isaac's condition when the player looks at his spine RIG for health, his stasis battery on his back too, his inventory in a hologram projection from his body and a ammo counter shown only on the weapon when he aims it. It makes the immersion flow really well. Adding to that virtually no cutscenes or loading times aside from booting up the game or a new chapter, and the game plays so well and consistent that I never felt bogged down. Isaac isn't a fast guy (he's wearing a space suit obviously) but to hear his heartbeat and grunt as he moves around is really genius to make the player feel like him, like we are in his shoes when things go to hell.

The atmosphere nails it. I very rarely found any part of Dead Space lacking. The ship's different areas and levels might have seemed mundane and realistically plain, but adding the grotesque alien tissue, blood, corpses and weird cult like symbols everywhere (esp in the final chapter) and you get a unnerving experience. The no oxygen space sequences are very memorable not so much for the objectives, but just the fact that it felt so real and like how sound in space would work. The shadow and lighting (at its time) was unmatched by game prior to, and I'd wager it was visually one of the best looking games of that decade (2000-2010).

The combat and upgrade system was definitely good. I like the dismembering of limbs and seeing a ripper saw through a Necromorph limb really feels great. The grapple breaks and death scenes are vicious and outstanding in terms of horror and even tend to go on longer than you would like to watch it for.

The story was okay with Isaac and his team crashing on a ship and desperate to get out when they learn first hand of the alien creatures on board. Lots of fetching and ordering on poor Isaac, which I consider an issue and con of the game, but what sold me was the loads of logs and audio recordings that detailed the mystery of the infection and colony outbreaks like one big conspiracy. Dead Space's world just felt so unknown and dangerous, playing on the concept of what we humans would want to see is out there in space should we ever leave orbit. It's not the first game or medium to do this, but the fact it made the alien threat far more sinister when tying ideas of Unitology into the mix and you get interesting theories that 2 and 3 would later answer (for better or worse).

Dead Space to me is well done and excellent horror game that stole my heart for its world and mechanics. The only issues I have is the lack of other npcs having any real actions along side Isaac which instead is just serving as plot vehicles whenever Isaac completes an objective or acquires a new item. The bosses are a mixed bag; the Hunter is a very great fight that mixes the dismemberment mechanic and invincibility to make fights even more desperate whenever players are in a tough spot, but the Leviathan fight was pretty lame and could be hard for players struggling with resources, where unlike the Hunter players could at least shoot off a leg and run away and conserve ammo. The Hive Mind's first phase is pretty good, with a unique time limit event of which Isaac must shoot its weak spots while dangling thousands of feet up by its tentacles before he is eaten alive. The second part begins to fall apart though, as it only just repeats the same attacks and exposes its chest for damage. The shooting sequences like the asteroid and alien jamming comms also lack but its more in terms of fairness and luck than skill. Issues aside, it's a game still worth playing and I highly recommend it. Out of the trilogy, the original soars above its brothers as a testament to sci-fi horror games done right.
  2. Oct 9, 2016
    Just now playing for the first time in late 2016... Fun, dreadful atmosphere best experienced with earbuds and lights off. Great game looking forward to playing the rest of the series.
  3. Aug 30, 2016
    Dead Space is a rare, fully satisfying single-player only experience. One that nails the action-horror gameplay, if not so much the actual horror. It's actually not a scary game. Even with all of it's dark corridors and grotesque monsters I never found anything here that gave me any sort of fright.

That may be a big disappointment for the horror enthusiast looking for the next thing that will scare them out of their pants, but there are still plenty of reasons to play it. For starters they nailed the atmosphere. The sense of loneliness and desperation complement the gameplay well. The sound is phenomenal and the graphics have aged remarkably well. The story doesn't evolve too much beyond it's "stranded and looking for a way out" setup, but there bits that hint at a larger mythology and what few characters there are were very well written.

When it comes to the gameplay this is some of the most satisfying action I've experienced from the horror genre. The gunplay feels great and your limited resources mean that it always feels like you're just barely scraping by. There are enough items scattered around to keep you going to the next checkpoint, but conserving your supplies is still necessary for survival.

New enemies are introduced at a steady pace. The fact that you have to target and remove their limbs in order to actually kill them means these are more than just generic bullet sponges. Add in some special powers that tie into some great puzzles and you have an experience that stays fresh and tense all the way through.

The only flaw I can find with the gameplay would be the mobility, or lack thereof. Your character "Isaac" isn't the fastest or most agile dude. This isn't a problem most of the time because you don't deal with too many enemies at once. However when the action gets more crowded and these surprisingly fast enemies have you cornered, you'll find yourself wishing Isaac would pick up the pace and get out of the way. A simple dodge-roll would have gone a long way.

For what it lacks in actual horror, it makes up for with a well-paced story and mostly excellent gameplay. It might not be scary and it does have it's frustrating moments, but for the most part this is an excellent game. One with a fairly decent length (I beat it in a little over 8 hours) and high replay value. Dead Space is worth your time, horror fan or not.
  4. Jul 27, 2016
    El autentico Resident Evil 5, un autentico Survival horror, tenso y con un revolucionario sistema de desmembramientos, sin mencionar las horribles criaturas y monstruos es una lastima que con Dead Space 3 cayeran en los mismos errores que la saga de Capcom
  5. Jun 22, 2016
    no habia seguido mucho de este juego hasta que salio la tercera parte, cierto dia fui a la tienda de videojuegos buscando algo nuevo y el empleado me recomendo un bundle de dead space con las dos primeras partes... segui su recomendacion algo indeciso y espere un par de semanas para jugarlo pues no me convencia del todo, pero una vez que lo inicie en forma... no pare hasta sacar todos losno habia seguido mucho de este juego hasta que salio la tercera parte, cierto dia fui a la tienda de videojuegos buscando algo nuevo y el empleado me recomendo un bundle de dead space con las dos primeras partes... segui su recomendacion algo indeciso y espere un par de semanas para jugarlo pues no me convencia del todo, pero una vez que lo inicie en forma... no pare hasta sacar todos los logros y el 100% del juego. M encanto, no puedo decir menos, lo jugabaen la noche y con luces apagadas porque queria adentrarme en la aventura de isaac, no me decepciono. Buenas graficas, musica creada para ambientar a la perfeccion, aunque en los ultimos niveles la musica cede un poco y extrañas la emocion de los primeros niveles, los controles son buenos, el reto es bastante bueno, la historia no es la mejor pero cum ple su cometido. Muy recomendado para casi cualquier usuario, si quieres darte un buen susto, sentirte desesperado y solo en una nave en la que no sabes si tienes entrente un enemigo, un cadaver o solo la oscuridad esto es lo tuyo, no te lo pierdas Expand
  6. May 14, 2016
    Usually I don't play survival horror games but if there's one that gave me chills and even though got me inmersed in it, it was Dead Space.
    It has graphics that were very nice in the year it got released and they are still very great. Gameplay is above the average, it feels really cool to throw stasis to necromorphs, to dismember them... it feels really nice to play Dead Space. The level design is another very great hit, it has a lot of cool ideas and it may help to rise the fear sections.
    The sound is an excellent aspect of this game, it really has a very great inmerssion effect because the excellent work they did here.
    The story is somewhat strange but it's cool and makes you wonder from where did all this necromorphs came from.

Pros: Graphics (in the releasing year and they are still ok), inmerssion, gammeplay, level design, characters, enemy design, sound

Cons: Duration, some sound effects, a little bit complex story, very small ship (you return to previous sections of the ship)
  7. Apr 15, 2016
    Dead Space is a true survival horror game with all the necessary ingredients to make it an OBVIOUS instant classic.

the gameplay is intelligently hard with the appropriate genre mechanics that increase the difficulty. the controls are intuitive and perfectly managed once or IF you learn and master them. whodathunkit? the audio is undeniably great and combined with the games

the audio is undeniably great and combined with the games atmosphere creates a truly masterful experience.

the story is well-done and additional content is told through video/text logs found throughout.

the game map has a perfect layout with INTELLIGENT AND APPROPRIATE "backtracking." (it is logical and NEEDED in a game that takes place on a ship with a limited environment. gamers who complain about PROPERLY- IMPLEMENTED "backtracking" lack basic comprehension.)

one aspect i enjoyed was the fact that the game used very little "scare tactics" to increase the fear level. instead, the gameplay created was one in which you could sense the impending battle and then entered a more "on the fly" type combat.
    were there some jump scares? of course and rightfully so.

limited inventory? check.
    slow, limited and frustrating character movement? check.
    great graphics? check.
    upgrade system? check.
    difficult? check.
    atmospheric? check.
    creative and unique? check.

and, a couple last tidbits: do yourself a huge favor and don't CHEAT in this game by looking to outside sources the first run through. as well, don't play through Impossible mode with all the upgraded gear and stats dying often and then call the game ez.

one of the greatest games of all-time? lol, hell yes
  8. Apr 4, 2016
    Dead Space is one of the greatest games I have ever played, and it is by far the scariest as well. The hologram-based HUD keeps you "in the game" more than any other game before, the level design is top notch with it's narrow corridors to its huge zero-gravity rooms, the music and sound effects add an unbelievable amount of atmosphere, and the enemies fit perfectly into this absolutelyDead Space is one of the greatest games I have ever played, and it is by far the scariest as well. The hologram-based HUD keeps you "in the game" more than any other game before, the level design is top notch with it's narrow corridors to its huge zero-gravity rooms, the music and sound effects add an unbelievable amount of atmosphere, and the enemies fit perfectly into this absolutely terrifying and brilliant story. Expand
  9. Oct 17, 2015
    Dead Space
    Beginning, end, and a bunch of dead space.
    Dead Space is a 3rd person shooter, survival horror game. You start the game out on a rescue mission, and you crash on a giant ship, you quickly find out that some crazy stuff is going on, and by quickly, I mean like, 3 minutes in and you’re ready to go home. Dead space is absolutely terrifying. The game is dark, takes place in
    Dead Space
    Beginning, end, and a bunch of dead space.
    Dead Space is a 3rd person shooter, survival horror game.
    Dead space is absolutely terrifying.
    The game is dark, takes place in this massive ship you crash landed on and this ship is crawling with creepy alien creatures.
    They come out of nowhere, it’s almost impossible to tell when or when they aren’t going to come after you.
    They crawl out of vents, you’ll see them and think great time for a showdown, and nothing happens, or you’ll completely miss the vents on the ceiling and one will hop down on top of you.
    You never get used them.
    Maybe eventually you do... but as soon as you do, they fix that.
    The terror is nonstop from beginning til end.
    These encounters are so terrifying because they are spread out perfectly.
    You spend more time relaxed running through dark halls than you do actually fighting.
    You can fight off these creatures with guns or stomp them to death.
    There are a variety of schematics you’ll find on the ship that you can take back to the store to purchase a new suit upgrade or a new weapon.
    You can carry up to 4 weapons at a time, and more ammo and med packs as you level up your suit.
    You can also collect power nodes to level up your weapons.
    Dead Space does a great job of giving you plenty of ammo while at the same time making you feel like you hardly have any, always keeping you tense.
    The downside though is that Dead Space is insanely repetitive.
    It’s hard to notice for the first 4 chapters of the game because the world feels so fresh, and you can’t help but smile at the influence modern games have borrowed from dead space, but all 12 chapters is nonstop follow the line, shoot things in your way, press the button, come back, do this about 3 or 4 times, get to the train, repeat chapter after chapter after chapter.
    Then they add in 0 gravity sections which can be pretty cool, but it quickly becomes boring and seems far too gimmicky as it was way over used.
    1 or 2 awesome 0 gravity sections would’ve been plenty enough.
    The ability to slow time and use telekinesis does make some sections a tiny bit more interesting and there are a handful of bosses in dead space, but none of them really stuck out of felt special to me.
    Dead Space is a horror game classic way ahead of its time and a must play for horror fans.
    I found the game insanely addictive at times, even though it tends to drag things out just a little too long.
    For what it is
    3rd Person Shooter/Survival Horror

Overall:
  10. Sep 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Probably the greatest game of previous gen. Last time Silent Hill 1 made me this scared of a game as dead space. I finished it like 5 times on PC an another 3 times on the 360. The only reason I am not giving it a 10/10 because there is no new game+ where you can start the game all over on a harder difficulty with the gear you achieved, only on the same difficulty. Expand
  11. Sep 6, 2015
    A true survival landmark with amazing graphics and gameplay, the environments are creepy, the creatures are eerie and the overall execution is a satisfying horror experience.
  12. Jun 10, 2015
    A truly chilling and tense thriller of a game that is sure to satisfy horror game fans. The atmosphere will make you think a necromorph can jump out at any moment. The only flaw is that it can get a little repetetive once you get used to the jumpscares.
  13. Jan 20, 2015
    This is an outstanding scary and violent game!

PROS
    -Nice graphics
    -good jumps scares
    -Fun abilities

CONS
    -Boring from time to time
    -hard controls
    -weak story
  14. Jul 7, 2014
    Dead Space 1 is definitely the best game in its series. It's as scary as hell (if you know what I mean, although it's not as scary as System Shock 2), it has nice sound, and quality visuals. Also, there two unique features I absolutely do love (and I hope you will, too) in this game: zero-gravity and vacuum.
    Alas, the protagonist doesn't say anything along the game, whereas other people
    Alas, the protagonist doesn't say anything along the game, whereas other people constantly say "Go there, make that," etc. Well, this is not the first game with a dumb hero, so I'm fine with that.
    Bottom line: if you love horror-action games, you should try this one.
  15. Jun 26, 2014
    I like scary stuff, and this is the scariest game I personally played. Give me a daunting atmosphere, isolation and looming dread. Give it to me! I don't want no coop buddy. I don't need no blockbuster action movie music in the background. And I certainly want the cheesy unnecessary dialogue kept to a bare minimum. Dead Space did all that for me. I thank it for that. If you plan onI like scary stuff, and this is the scariest game I personally played. Give me a daunting atmosphere, isolation and looming dread. Give it to me! I don't want no coop buddy. I don't need no blockbuster action movie music in the background. And I certainly want the cheesy unnecessary dialogue kept to a bare minimum. Dead Space did all that for me. I thank it for that. If you plan on only playing one of the series to check it out, this is the one. 2 is alright and 3 got a heavy dose of the new age Resident Evil treatment. Expand
  16. May 8, 2014
    Even six years after its release, Dead Space still looks and sounds great. Dead Space was one of the best survival horror games, if not the best, of the last generation consoles. The atmosphere is perfect, the health and ammo is limited, and the enemies are terrifying. If you haven't played it yet, you need to get on that.
  17. Apr 7, 2014
    "this game is spectacular , worth playing for and what great story ". but still missions are so hard and there so freakin hard . but i will get through it . Grade A-
  18. Dec 25, 2013
    Just a flat out excellent game, the scariest game I am yet to play, with beautiful graphics excellent sound, a solid third person shooter mechanic with a nice twist in what classifies as a 'critical' hit. This game was truly exciting every step of the way, the only thing that kept me from giving this game a 10 was that I was not 100 percent engaged in the story-line with which other gamesJust a flat out excellent game, the scariest game I am yet to play, with beautiful graphics excellent sound, a solid third person shooter mechanic with a nice twist in what classifies as a 'critical' hit. This game was truly exciting every step of the way, the only thing that kept me from giving this game a 10 was that I was not 100 percent engaged in the story-line with which other games which are not so smooth have often managed to suck me in. 9.5/10 Expand
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    Is Dead Space a horror game with action, adventure, and 3rd Person Shooter elements or is it mainly a 3rd Person Shooter with the aforementioned elements? This identity crisis actually gives this game an extra edge just as you have no idea what is happening on this ship. Everything is constantly in question and you only have only yourself and your handy upgradeable weapons to rely on.Is Dead Space a horror game with action, adventure, and 3rd Person Shooter elements or is it mainly a 3rd Person Shooter with the aforementioned elements? This identity crisis actually gives this game an extra edge just as you have no idea what is happening on this ship. Everything is constantly in question and you only have only yourself and your handy upgradeable weapons to rely on. Dead Space delivers exactly what the feeling would be like on a giant derelict ship. The atmosphere is what makes this game stand out. It isn't overly creepy, but keeps you on edge. It does perfectly what movies can't do and that is immerse you in that environment where you could be that person that blatantly walks into the death trap. Tread lightly and keep your plasma cutter pointed forward. There are plenty of save points and the game never becomes overly difficult. The story unfolds at a clean pace and the upgradeable armor/weapons allow for steady progress. The story never feels too long and the story isn't marred with long cutscenes like most games nowadays. I am not a big fan of the horror genre, but this game was the real deal. Expand
  20. Jul 28, 2013
    What a boring, hollywood game, with very little depth. It manages to deliver solid play, but as an experience is a massive and predictable snore.

The sequel doesn't even try to hide what's going to happen, and pacing has been thrown out the window to make for a more "epic" experience. At the start, even though the necros have literally JUST broke out, one of the more bulky creatures makes a very early appearance, even though there would not have been nearly enough time for it to have grown (or died). I'm never sure which it is, with necros.

Compare that to the first game, which was a constant remix of tried and true horror techniques, leaving me more afraid of not the technique itself, but always wondering when it would finally arrive. For example there are countless times you enter a bloodied bathroom expecting something to jump out. Over and over again the game lets you off the hook. You worry every single time you enter one. Making you keep your guard up constantly was what the first game excelled at.

EA seems good at taking great first franchise entries and immediately raping them to the point where fans of the first will be unlikely to enjoy the sequels.
  21. Jul 21, 2013
    One word review: boring.

If your idea of fun is to wander around areas shooting identical enemies with identical weapons then Dead space is for you. I bought it because I was told that it is very very scary and the person in question can't play much of it at one go. He clearly needs help with his issues. Scary isn't the first word that comes to mind for me. Boring is.
  22. Jul 20, 2013
    Never have I encountered a game that has moments as nerve-racking as Dead Space. Its a game more than capable of making you panic and fire half a magazine of precious ammunition into a corpse. The atmosphere does a lot for this; whenever I play, even wit a lot of ammo, powerful weapons, and a high-lever RIG, and a full stasis meter... I'm still constantly on edge.

The enemy encounters

The enemy encounters do a lot to contribute to being constantly on-edge. Sometimes, you see them coming at you, sometimes you see them as you go around a corner, or through a door, and sometimes... sometimes, you think you see one. These are by far the worst time, when you catch a glimpse of one, or you see a shadow, because you look, and there's nothing there. Are you seeing things, or are you about to be attacked? The feeling of uncertainty is incredible, you could be attacked at any time, while progressing.

The story is great, and has only a handful of predictable moments, and there are plenty of twists and turns. Chapters are quite well structured, and the ability to fully explore the levels can be very helpful for scavenging items./

Overall, a hugely enjoyable, well executed experience, and thoroughly deserving of a 9/10.

Just remember, aim for the limbs.... and for goodness sake, STOMP EVERYTHING, EVER.
  23. May 30, 2013
    Dead Space is a great Survival Horror game and is worth your time. This game sets up great atmosphere and has a good many scares. It does get predictable over time, but the gameplay is fun. You can replay through the campaign with all your equipment so there is some replay value there. It tends to turn more survival action, but it's still nice to see a game that is at least trying to beDead Space is a great Survival Horror game and is worth your time. This game sets up great atmosphere and has a good many scares. It does get predictable over time, but the gameplay is fun. You can replay through the campaign with all your equipment so there is some replay value there. It tends to turn more survival action, but it's still nice to see a game that is at least trying to be different from the mainstream. Overall, I'd recommend it. Expand
  24. May 28, 2013
    A horror game is hard to come by and usually get bad ratings. However, Dead Space out does all of them. Inspired by Resident Evil and Doom, mix them up into one game and it becomes a true masterpiece!
  25. May 18, 2013
    Dead Space is a masterpiece of atmosphere and aesthetics. It is quite possibly my favorite game ever made, even though it isn't without its blemishes. The levels can be a tad repetitive and one has to admit that there is hardly an original idea in the whole plot, but as a pure "gaming experience," Dead Space is completely exceptional.
    I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to game
    I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to game design, being one of those guys who scoffs at jerky character animations, poor UI's, clumsy mechanics and boring color palettes. Games are all about tone and feel for me. I have friends that are in it primarily for the story, and while I also care about narrative, if a game doesn't FEEL right I simply can't get into it.
    Dead Space is an absolute marvel when it comes to these factors. Everything just works. The no-HUD approach was a stroke of genius back in 2008, even though it seems that most games have adopted the cleaner, HUD-less approach since then. The thing that sets Dead Space apart is that EVERYTHING is in-game in real time. All of the menus and items in the game are shown as holograms within the game universe, and one must always take the possibility of an attack from behind into account when looking at the inventory. One of my best memories from Dead Space was when I decided to look at the in-game store to stock up on ammo and health when out of nowhere I was jerked away from the menu to find that my head was being torn off by a Necromorph. This kind of thing happens, and it all makes the game feel clean, elegant and immersive without being over-simplified.
    Dead Space also sports some of the most incredible sound design you will ever hear in a game. The soundtrack is completely interactive, and simply stopping and taking a moment to listen to your surroundings is a truly eerie experience. The whole ship comes alive with creaks and moans, and then out of nowhere a scuttling noise can be heard coming from the air vents up above and distant shrieks start to ring through the corridors. The consistently excellent sound design is the number one contributor to the unrelenting tension that Dead Space exudes. There is no rest to be had in Dead Space. The game demands attention and vigilance at every turn, and the game, while being incredibly enjoyable, is never a comfortable experience.
    Dead Space is also incredibly good looking for being a five-year old game, and it handles excellently. Shadows suffer from some serious blockiness at points, but other than those anomalies, the game totally holds up to modern graphical standards (for consoles, that is). Lighting effects are gorgeous, character models are detailed and interesting, environments are convincingly rendered and all of the sci-fi technology behaves with a true sense of function, weight and believability. The animations in the game are slick and organic as well. As for mechanics, Dead Space gets top marks here as well. Isaac Clarke's every-man nature is emphasized by his slower movement. He's no space-marine (thank God), and the developers have intentionally withheld the ability to adjust look sensitivity. This actually compounds the sense of claustrophobia and powerlessness in the game and never becomes frustrating.
    All in all, Dead Space is an incredible experience that you probably will not forget. Even five years after its release this game is still feels vibrant, fresh, and intensely engrossing. Pick it up and play it if you haven't already because this is one of the finest examples of modern gaming.
  26. May 7, 2013
    the scariest game i ever played. have to take a break between each chapter, hell, sometime i just hope the game can end quickly so i don't need to be so thrilled to do a new level.. As a new IP game, the level design is well-done and engaging. you are in a spaceship, you feel suffocated yet in each level the surrounding is different. i love this game in a terrifying way. If you havethe scariest game i ever played. have to take a break between each chapter, hell, sometime i just hope the game can end quickly so i don't need to be so thrilled to do a new level.. As a new IP game, the level design is well-done and engaging. you are in a spaceship, you feel suffocated yet in each level the surrounding is different. i love this game in a terrifying way. If you have friends who never played video game that much, make them to play the first 20 minutes, they will pale and tell you, 'well, i don't want to (meaning, i am too afraid to) play this game'.. Expand
  27. Apr 14, 2013
    Dead Space is the most terrifying horror game I have ever played! The sound effects and atmosphere as well as the scenarios being played out complete it for me! It also had other cool mechanics like shooting limbs off strategically for a variety of different enemy's. The boss fights were also heart pumping with the scary music and the atmosphere surrounding you. The characters are awesome,Dead Space is the most terrifying horror game I have ever played! The sound effects and atmosphere as well as the scenarios being played out complete it for me! It also had other cool mechanics like shooting limbs off strategically for a variety of different enemy's. The boss fights were also heart pumping with the scary music and the atmosphere surrounding you. The characters are awesome, although dumb, it puts you on the edge of your seat because a scary scene is obviously about to play out, when the characters are like 'duh, nothing will be behind this door' and end up getting killed. This game also has a lot of blood and some gruesome scenes that will bring joy to gore hounds such as myself.

Melson97
  28. Apr 10, 2013
    Dead Space is a masterpiece that can satisfy both real survival horror fans and RE4 players alike. Visceral absolutely nailed the environmental design in this game, down to the last detail. The sound design is wonderful, and the smallest enemy will make the most frightening of sounds. All of the zero-gravity and zero-oxygen sequences are brilliant, making it harder to hear, and harder toDead Space is a masterpiece that can satisfy both real survival horror fans and RE4 players alike. Visceral absolutely nailed the environmental design in this game, down to the last detail. The sound design is wonderful, and the smallest enemy will make the most frightening of sounds. All of the zero-gravity and zero-oxygen sequences are brilliant, making it harder to hear, and harder to survive lulling you into a false sense of security just to scare or concern you even more than you already were. The story is solid and while not incredibly original, is very well done and does not subtract from the gameplay. When I played DS1 I had the brightness in game turned down very very low, as the instructions say. This game will seriously mess with you if you have your brightness that low on a nice LED television.
    Unfortunately there is something that keeps the game from being a 10, which is also one of the things that made it work, but I have to hold it against the game because it is an actual factor. The ready availability of shops, ammo, and money to upgrade weapons and equipment with makes the game progressively easier and more care-free until you are no longer scared or worried about anything. It detracts from the horror environment and Visceral understood this in DS3 when they made a hardcore mode. Though that holds it back, Dead Space is still one of the best games I've ever played.
  29. Apr 2, 2013
    All right, you probably came here looking for decent survival horror game, correct? well, you're looking right at it. Very ambitious launch of franchise by infamous EA, despite having very few development time, it stands out as crown jewel of not only horror game fans, but shooter game fans in general. However, you should realize this game isn't really scary at all, but it does doAll right, you probably came here looking for decent survival horror game, correct? well, you're looking right at it. Very ambitious launch of franchise by infamous EA, despite having very few development time, it stands out as crown jewel of not only horror game fans, but shooter game fans in general. However, you should realize this game isn't really scary at all, but it does do fantastic job on unleashing so-called "cheap scare" in right moment, so if you aren't scared by this, it sure will keep you unsettled. That's for sure. Atmosphere of game is very well created thanks for the great sound effects, and the combat is very challenging, as you're forced to do "strategical dismembering" as you're chased by very well distinguished enemies, and trying to aim enemy's limb in intense situation does require great amount of focus. However, game loses its value after first playthrough. You probably got over with all the horror moment and got familiar with it, you probably remember which vent enemies blasted through, and you probably have well-upgraded killing machine at your disposal, and this is moment where game just becomes survival game. However, this game still is pretty good at being TPS zombie shoot-em-up, and harder difficulties really force you to conserve your ammunition, so there are a lot of strategy involved in this game. Even though it has low replay value, many will enjoy playing this game over and over again despite some flaws. So, don't hesitate to pass this game if you're familiar with horror games or TPS games in general. This game will not disappoint you. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    I cant believe this game flew under my radar. It reminds me of resident evil 4-- its a horror survival game with over the shoulder shooting, several upgradable items, skills and suits.
  31. Feb 10, 2013
    Instant classic for any fan of horror sci-fi. The setting, tone and sound design are superb, and the graphics for the time were top notch. However I will say the pitfalls of this game really stood out after Dead Space 2 was released. With a 'mute' Isaac, you get no sense of character and story which Dead Space 2 and 3 really focused on, which is a real shame because there was a lot ofInstant classic for any fan of horror sci-fi. The setting, tone and sound design are superb, and the graphics for the time were top notch. However I will say the pitfalls of this game really stood out after Dead Space 2 was released. With a 'mute' Isaac, you get no sense of character and story which Dead Space 2 and 3 really focused on, which is a real shame because there was a lot of potential there. On top of this the game play feels a little wonky as well, but these are things you can quickly get over on another play through. Despite that, this is still a great game and definitely worth playing. Expand
  32. Feb 5, 2013
    I, a once Dead Space fan feel insulted and I could literally feel the slap in the face EA gave me when they announced co-op. What Visceral said just showed EA is only in gaming for cash now. They said "We didn't want to ruin the formula of Dead Space. BUT WE'LL KEEP CO-OP IN!" and then "It's not important. Just there. It wont affect the campaign" so why is it in? Oh yeah! To appeal to CoDI, a once Dead Space fan feel insulted and I could literally feel the slap in the face EA gave me when they announced co-op. What Visceral said just showed EA is only in gaming for cash now. They said "We didn't want to ruin the formula of Dead Space. BUT WE'LL KEEP CO-OP IN!" and then "It's not important. Just there. It wont affect the campaign" so why is it in? Oh yeah! To appeal to CoD kiddies! If you feel insulted by the fact EA wants you all to be CoD kiddies, do not buy this game. Expand
  33. Jan 20, 2013
    The real survival horror in the 7th generation. Not expecting much from this game, but turned out to be one of the best Xbox 360 games. Sublime atmosphere
  34. Jan 16, 2013
    I was really surprised by this game, considering who it is made by. But it is definitely solid, and is a real competitor for RE4. Heavy on the shooting side, but it is still very atmospheric. Story is simple but engaging - you are shipwrecked in space, and there are parasitic aliens taking over the remains of your crew! Oh no! But they are also breeding and trying to alter theI was really surprised by this game, considering who it is made by. But it is definitely solid, and is a real competitor for RE4. Heavy on the shooting side, but it is still very atmospheric. Story is simple but engaging - you are shipwrecked in space, and there are parasitic aliens taking over the remains of your crew! Oh no! But they are also breeding and trying to alter the atmosphere within the ship to suit themselves. It's up to you, as the engineer, to survive and fix various parts of the ship whilst fighting for your life. Great elements include having to shoot the limbs off enemies, rather than go for head shots, a brilliant holographic menu system (everything is in-game, there are no menu screens. Even your inventory is handled on screen, and when people contact you, a hologram of them is rendered in front of your character, to talk to them), a variety of interesting weapons and abilities to upgrade including telekenisis and stasis (grabbing and throwing stuff, and slowing down enemies), and also there are some great atmosphere touches like parts of the game where you have to go into damaged areas of the ship which have no air, and therefore your hearing is diminished, and your own heart beat and breathing is pretty much all you hear, besides ominous thuds. Most of the time the game is awesome, and feels rewarding and satisfying as you collect loot from around the place, and sell what you don't need at the stores within the game. Some of the boss battles are not very interesting - which is standard in these kinds of games unfortunately. Also, the game suffers from the same problem as all survivals - either you do well and then the game is just too easy as you are overflowing with ammo, health and money. Or, you are not doing so well, in which case you struggle for ammo, heatlh and / or money, and then you have to reload from a check point. Not sure how games can fix this issue. Luckily for me I found the game slightly on the easy side - but still found it good fun. By the end of your first run, you will not have unlocked and upgraded everything, so you can start your game+ and shred some enemies with your powered-up stuff, and continue your upgrading. Expand
  35. Nov 2, 2012
    This game was delicious from start to finish. I love the tension and combat. Environment, atmosphere, sounds... necromorphs... all brilliant. Even read one of the spin off fiction novels. Great scifi
  36. Oct 23, 2012
    I came back to this game because the first time I played it I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. I didn't finish it but recently I have been going back to unfinished games to challenge myself and this time I got it. This game is fun to play. I still don't think it is scary or original in any way but for some reason it is still a lot of fun to play. After I had gotten all theI came back to this game because the first time I played it I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. I didn't finish it but recently I have been going back to unfinished games to challenge myself and this time I got it. This game is fun to play. I still don't think it is scary or original in any way but for some reason it is still a lot of fun to play. After I had gotten all the achievements I could get I still wanted to keep playing. I don't think I will go on to the second one but this one really was fun to play. For the record though there are many much better survival horror games out there. Deadly Premonition, Silent Hill games and the Condemned games to name a few. Expand
  37. Aug 15, 2012
    Atmosphere is everything in horror games, Dead Space has plenty of it. Even though the game never offers any real scares, only fleeting shocks that pass in a second the game has a great story and gameplay mechanics. You are Isaac Clarke, a CEC Engineer sent to repair the mining vessel USG Ishimura after its communications went down. Once aboard you find that a routine patch job is not asAtmosphere is everything in horror games, Dead Space has plenty of it. Even though the game never offers any real scares, only fleeting shocks that pass in a second the game has a great story and gameplay mechanics. You are Isaac Clarke, a CEC Engineer sent to repair the mining vessel USG Ishimura after its communications went down. Once aboard you find that a routine patch job is not as simple as it seems, with an alien parasite loose on the ship that turns all corpses into zombie aliens its your job to repair the ship to send out a distress signal and escape with your life. It is an action horror game NOT a survival horror as it is commonly misconceived and a damn good one at that. Expand
  38. May 27, 2012
    The new king of survival horror. Like playing in an alien movie. One of the best gaming experiences ever made. The atmosphere in this game is superb and the game will scare the **** out of you and keep you on edge. The boss fights are amazing.
  39. May 2, 2012
    A beautifully atmospheric game, but the reliance on jump scares killed my enjoyment many times.

The, 'huh wonder if some thing is going to jump out of that obvious grate' feeling pops up constantly, yet it still made me jump as fast moving objects tend to do for me, not so much fear as adrenaline.

I would have preferred more sinking horror and less of a surprise fest.
  40. May 1, 2012
    Dead Space, as a survival horror sci fi game, is what You would call the next, more casual iteration of a scenario that System Shock 2 has greatly established: tight atmosphere, mutated enemies, quasi-religious story background, a voice that guides You...only this time with next gen graphics, less RPG and puzzles and much more engaging combat. Not only are Visceral Games undenieableDead Space, as a survival horror sci fi game, is what You would call the next, more casual iteration of a scenario that System Shock 2 has greatly established: tight atmosphere, mutated enemies, quasi-religious story background, a voice that guides You...only this time with next gen graphics, less RPG and puzzles and much more engaging combat. Not only are Visceral Games undenieable masters of their craft as storytellers and directors, they also show a splendid talent for lighting, timing and texture. This game doesnt get old, instead it binds You to Your controller and doesn't let You go. Expand
  41. Apr 21, 2012
    One of the best survival horror games to date An interesting story line and creative wepons and enemies, the atmosphere is really great it reminds me to the alien movies but 10000 more scarier. also the envariorment is very interesting and original sometimes you go into zero gravity zones and you can walk in the wals or in the celling, combat has strategy you just can go and shoot a alienOne of the best survival horror games to date An interesting story line and creative wepons and enemies, the atmosphere is really great it reminds me to the alien movies but 10000 more scarier. also the envariorment is very interesting and original sometimes you go into zero gravity zones and you can walk in the wals or in the celling, combat has strategy you just can go and shoot a alien like crazy you need to be accuarate and cut their limbs to kill them. if you like horror games this one is a must buy. Expand
  42. Apr 13, 2012
    A frightful experience on par with the 1980's The Thing movie. Every corner that must be turned is a potential death or waiting horror. Everything from enemy design to music adds to a atmosphere that keeps you holding your breath for safety, something you may never find. The only bad part, something that happens to plague many horror games, is that subsequent playthroughs loose their fearA frightful experience on par with the 1980's The Thing movie. Every corner that must be turned is a potential death or waiting horror. Everything from enemy design to music adds to a atmosphere that keeps you holding your breath for safety, something you may never find. The only bad part, something that happens to plague many horror games, is that subsequent playthroughs loose their fear as enemy placement and spawns are set and easily remembered. Despite that, it seems that any time Dead Space is mentioned , someone, somewhere will have the urge to sit down and fight for survival. Expand
  43. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favorite games of all time, if not my favorite. The atmosphere is unbelievably terrifying, the necromorphs are beautifully designed, the storyline is deeply compelling, I love everything about this game. I could go on for days about how amazing this game is, but my favorite aspect is a tie between the atmosphere and the character development. Granted, Isaac Clarke never says a word in the game (he's basically the Link of Dead Space) you can still get a sense of dread and regret from Isaac. When Isaac is separated from the rest of his crew, fighting for his life, you can never really tell who's helping and who's hindering. I loved the fact that you had to shoot the limbs rather than shooting directly at the head (as everyone is inclined to do), and it never ceased to freak me out when I would shoot off a head and it was coming right back at me more pissed off than before. The fact that necromorphs crawled through the vents was a perfect way to keep players on their toes and jumping at every little noise. The weapons in the game are beautiful and the upgrades just make them sexier as the game goes on. Of course the biggest shocker came at the end when you found out that Isaac's girlfriend Nicole has actually been dead the whole time, meaning Isaac has been slowly going more and more insane as the game goes on. It still terrifies me when I walk into a room, and then a giant tentacle would swoop from around the corner and drag Isaac down the hall until he reached the hole in the wall the tentacle made and would be ripped to shreds. The death scenes in Dead Space were spectacularly well done, very detailed and still make me cringe. Anyone who loves horror-survival should DEFINITELY give this game a try. Expand
  44. Feb 27, 2012
    This game is near flawless and this is considering that I have played it a 4 years after release. There are very few titles that have managed to live up to the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill mantle of a truly scary game. Dead space whole heartily brings the survival horror genre to the current gen in style and mixes in a great sci fi story to boot. It also looks fantasticThis game is near flawless and this is considering that I have played it a 4 years after release. There are very few titles that have managed to live up to the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill mantle of a truly scary game. Dead space whole heartily brings the survival horror genre to the current gen in style and mixes in a great sci fi story to boot. It also looks fantastic throughout and remember again... 4 years on i write this review. These days games need to entice people into multiple play throughs with new game plus and other such devices but for me, very happy to finish the game and go straight back through again for the frights and fun that is DEAD SPACE! Can only imagine what i will say of the sequel when i get round to playing that. Expand
  45. Feb 13, 2012
    great game, i was scared the entire time playing it, stunning good times good times my friends .
  46. Jan 27, 2012
    Dead Space is a perfect horror game. It blends elements from System Shock 2 with references to other great films and games. It is thick with atmosphere and emotion, and is very good at surprising the player with it's surprisingly good storyline. The gameplay is fun and frantic, as you race to dismember the attacking Necromorphs. This game is excellent, and is worth a look next time you areDead Space is a perfect horror game. It blends elements from System Shock 2 with references to other great films and games. It is thick with atmosphere and emotion, and is very good at surprising the player with it's surprisingly good storyline. The gameplay is fun and frantic, as you race to dismember the attacking Necromorphs. This game is excellent, and is worth a look next time you are stuck for something to play! Expand
  47. Jan 13, 2012
    Won't say much, except for few things: this game was very fun to play, the shootings were exciting, the monsters are very scary and the story behind it's actually good! With that said, I never EVER got scared once in the entire game, so to me it's more of a shooting game than a survival horror. And for last, weapons aren't all useful, since you have to dismember the monsters and not fillWon't say much, except for few things: this game was very fun to play, the shootings were exciting, the monsters are very scary and the story behind it's actually good! With that said, I never EVER got scared once in the entire game, so to me it's more of a shooting game than a survival horror. And for last, weapons aren't all useful, since you have to dismember the monsters and not fill them with lasers, or bullets, or whatever. Very good game: try it if you're curious of the first dead space. Expand
  48. Jan 13, 2012
    This is the best game of EA Ahhhhh!!!......................................................................................................................
  49. Dec 19, 2011
    Dead Space really and truly is one of the single best horror games of all time. You truly do feel like your in Isaac Clarkes situation and that the necromorphs are coming for you! I personally couldn't bring myself to playing the game in the dark or home alone which you would find pretty sad for a 20 year old but it really is true! I have alot of experience with survival horror gamesDead Space really and truly is one of the single best horror games of all time. You truly do feel like your in Isaac Clarkes situation and that the necromorphs are coming for you! I personally couldn't bring myself to playing the game in the dark or home alone which you would find pretty sad for a 20 year old but it really is true! I have alot of experience with survival horror games but this game takes the biscuit. The graphics, storyline and overall experience is brilliant. There is such emphasis on the religion of the game and you truly are terrified all the time. I hope to see the 3rd installment of this game as it simply is incredible. Although as great as it is, there is for me, two fatal flaws, and they are the predictability and the use of the map. In saying that I dont mean its so easy to predict, but once you complete the game it is very possible to predict big moments in the game and turning points. Also the fact that you must go back and fourth through the same areas in the game instead of one clear path becomes very repetitive which takes away some of the replayability and horror of it. Overall I rate it a very fair 8 and hope that the 3rd installment to the game lives up to expectations! Expand
  50. Dec 15, 2011
    Dead Space is a fantastic game. The atmosphere it evokes when you are slowly walking down a dark corridor is intense, dramatic and completely immersive.
    If I were to describe this game in a sentence it would be: "Resident Evil 4 in space with even more thrills"
    Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourite games of all time so that is high praise indeed coming from me. The developers have managed
    The developers have managed to create quite a promising game universe within only two games which is impressive given the amount of time Dead Space has been around compared to other franchises.
    They have managed to create likeable characters, a gripping story that haunts you even after playing and have evoked a sense of never being safe in-game. The player can be walking towards a door that leads to a supposedly "safe" zone, hear an ominous sound in the walls and have an enemy burst from the vent next to them. It is hard to describe the atmosphere this game evokes. It's chilling, to say the least and I definitely recommend playing this game with some sort of surround system, be it headphones or speakers.
    The gameplay is a fluid blend of Resident Evil 4's over-the-shoulder perspective and that of a big budget action game. While some have said this detracts from the "survival-horror" element of the game, I argue that these people have not tackled it on the hardest difficulty, where even the responsiveness of the controls do not help. This game is definitely one of my favourite games ever and I can't resist another revisit at least once a year.
  51. Nov 22, 2011
    This game scared the S*** out of me! That is a statement I have never used to describe a video game. Granted the scares were mainly of the "make you jump" kind rather than the "building tension" type, but I couldn't help but be impressed with the entire game. The graphics and sound are top notch. The gameplay is smooth and unique. The story is engrossing as well as the voice acting (evenThis game scared the S*** out of me! That is a statement I have never used to describe a video game. Granted the scares were mainly of the "make you jump" kind rather than the "building tension" type, but I couldn't help but be impressed with the entire game. The graphics and sound are top notch. The gameplay is smooth and unique. The story is engrossing as well as the voice acting (even though our hero never says a word). I found myself waiting for a time when I could play this game without distraction, with the light out and the surround sound turned on. This game is a must buy for all those survival horror fans, or just someone who is looking for a good scare. I can't wait to play the sequel. Expand
  52. Nov 15, 2011
    This is the definition of Fear....there no another word to described it....silenti hill and resident evil can say "Good Bay". Please, if you like (well this its a contradiction) to enjoy a game but suffer at the same time this is the best choice: Dark Corners...Monster sounds in every level....Scary Babys....an the ghostly feelling of being watched by the evil itself. Friendly Advice: goThis is the definition of Fear....there no another word to described it....silenti hill and resident evil can say "Good Bay". Please, if you like (well this its a contradiction) to enjoy a game but suffer at the same time this is the best choice: Dark Corners...Monster sounds in every level....Scary Babys....an the ghostly feelling of being watched by the evil itself. Friendly Advice: go to the bathroom before to play it!!!!! Expand
  53. Oct 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the scariest games i have played and i am never scared.
    Every time your playing the game you know that a thing can just jump in front of you with out knowing it and slice you open so this is a awesome and scary game.
  54. Oct 13, 2011
    It's really rare to get a game which makes you jump out of your seat SEVERAL of times. I constantly found myself doing this. This game holds one of the most atmospheric environments ever seen in a video game and is a truly remarkable game with a great story tied up to it.
  55. Sep 21, 2011
    "Game of the Year"-2008
    "Game of the Year"-2008
    A game I can't say enough about to express my love for it. I'll try to make this simple. Dead Space is one of the greatest game ever made! It's the best and scariest horror game you'll ever play. No game brings bigger chills and scares then Dead Space. The story line is great, and very intense. Voice acting is amazing. The game play is great, and just the way it should be. Like I said, there's not enough I can say to express my love for this game. I'll leave you with this-Dead Space deserves your attention, and hopefully, you won't be disappointed.
  56. Sep 8, 2011
    Atmospheric.Immersive.Chilling...A leading light in the dying Survival Horror genre and the best since Resident Evil 4.Investigate a crippled starship then crap yourself while cleverly dismembering a horde of diabolical creatures.Best played in the dark with surround sound.Alone.
  57. Jul 10, 2011
    While it doesn't make for the best survival horror game and has zero pacing it makes an excellent action horror game with a good plot and very good combat plus great boss fights makes this a must play of our generation.
  58. Jun 27, 2011
    Dead Space is an enjoyable but flawed survival horror game. The gameplay is solid, with the need to shoot limbs serving as a nice twist. Graphics are excellent and the music perfectly suits the action. However, the biggest problem I had with this game was that it just wasn't frightening at all. The game lacks the atmosphere of better games like Bioshock and chooses to rely on startlingDead Space is an enjoyable but flawed survival horror game. The gameplay is solid, with the need to shoot limbs serving as a nice twist. Graphics are excellent and the music perfectly suits the action. However, the biggest problem I had with this game was that it just wasn't frightening at all. The game lacks the atmosphere of better games like Bioshock and chooses to rely on startling tactics instead of trying to create true fear. These tactics consist of instances like flashing lights and an enemy masquerading as a corpse. They are so overused that they become predictable and wearisome. Devoid of personality and speech, it is hard to sympathize with Isaac and his pursuit of his wife. The two other characters are unlikeable because we are never given a chance to like them. Their function is just to bark orders at Isaac to journey to another part of the ship. The bulk of the game consists of running around from A to B with no real idea of what you're doing. As previously mentioned, the ability to shoot off limbs is a nice deviation from the norm but the enemies faced and the process of execution become monotonous. I liked Dead Space but the horror and story disappointed. Expand
  59. Jun 11, 2011
    Dead Space is a much needed breath of fresh air to the survival horror genre. There is hardly anything this game didn't do right. The graphics are on par with the best in the industry and do a very good job creating a dark, mysterious, and all around scary atmosphere. The sound is done very well and further enhances the atmosphere. The controls are the best out of any third person shooterDead Space is a much needed breath of fresh air to the survival horror genre. There is hardly anything this game didn't do right. The graphics are on par with the best in the industry and do a very good job creating a dark, mysterious, and all around scary atmosphere. The sound is done very well and further enhances the atmosphere. The controls are the best out of any third person shooter I have ever played. Lastly, the story is pretty solid, as long as you pay attention to it. I see a lot of reviews that criticize this game for lacking in story, which I simply do not understand. The game is full of logs and audio diaries that tell perfectly how everything came to be. Simply put, this game is spectacular. Frankly, I don't understand how anyone could say otherwise, but I guess it is just a matter of opinion. This game actually exceeded my expectations and definitely deserves a 10/10. Expand
  60. May 27, 2011
    Most games, especially shooter affairs, I pick it up...play for 20-30mins...then say "yeah, that was cool...what's on TV?". This game really had something going on, right from the beginning. The story, mood, and pacing just come together to create a very intense product. It has a creepy feeling and it really triggers your natural survival instincts as the character on screen seamlesslyMost games, especially shooter affairs, I pick it up...play for 20-30mins...then say "yeah, that was cool...what's on TV?". This game really had something going on, right from the beginning. The story, mood, and pacing just come together to create a very intense product. It has a creepy feeling and it really triggers your natural survival instincts as the character on screen seamlessly becomes a representation of yourself. You don't want to be eaten and you will run or shoot and pant and gasp and lean...just real nail biting stuff here. The controls or over the shoulder view don't feel quite perfect, and the bits of zero-g navigation get a bit clunky at times, but it just doesn't matter. I rarely give out a 10 for anything because it leaves no room to go, but I think this sort of artistic creativity grabbed what is best about single player gaming and that is about an environment that lets the player lose themselves. Its almost too good because I would laugh at myself by how carried away I would get with my own gasps and seat jumping. But after a brief moment of self realization, there I was again on a spaceship, clinging to whatever ammo filled weapon I could find...searching around and walking on eggshells trying to anticipate what horror or challenge lurk around that next dimly lit corner. I played nothing else but this until I beat it, and when I did...I started a second play through. Bottom line...best horror/suspense game I have ever played, groundbreaking and beautiful in all of its horror and insanity. Expand
  61. May 22, 2011
    I picked this up recently as it was deeply discounted,being an xbox 360 popular game.Once I started playing it,I couldn't put it down as it was a very entertaining game with nice weapons to use.I can't wait to pick up #2 now.
  62. May 10, 2011
    Bought this used at gamestop and i loved it. super bloody and gory can't play with my brow since he's too little, but it's so, so , so good! isaac clarke is as cool as master chief, hands down!
  63. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = A Great Survival horror game only beaten now only by it's own successor and Resident Evil 4 (which IS the best). A bit too predictable at times though. Any time a necromorph is on the floor expect it to attack you.
  64. Apr 1, 2011
    Scary as hell and worth every last cent. Atmospheric, claustrophobic, and that sense of "the unknown menace" around every corner made it hold its own. A new classic horror-survival franchise for years to come (here's hoping at least).
  65. Mar 12, 2011
    First off I didn't really fancy Dead Space hence its took me this long to play it. Its a total breathe of fresh air which the survival horror genre needed so much a different take on the classic genre which has been dominated by Resident evil personal favorite of mine. As for the game well the graphics are brilliant and the atmosphere is the best ive come across in any game from the soundFirst off I didn't really fancy Dead Space hence its took me this long to play it. Its a total breathe of fresh air which the survival horror genre needed so much a different take on the classic genre which has been dominated by Resident evil personal favorite of mine. As for the game well the graphics are brilliant and the atmosphere is the best ive come across in any game from the sound effects to the lighting it has everything going for it. The game just feels so complete and very fluid, you can tell they spared no expense with this title a must buy for any console owner. And if your put off because the game is scary well you sort of adapt to the game as you progress and get use to the random scares and monsters you encounter. Expand
  66. Mar 3, 2011
    Not scary, rip's off just about every horror ever made, the gameplay didn't make it for me, and it's trying to make us feel sorry for someone with a bucket on their head and their mouth's taped shut.
    What a pathetic escuse for a horror-game.
  67. Feb 12, 2011
    Dead Space is an ambitious game that attempts to combine the atmospheric tension and psychological scares with the jump starts and falls short of its lofty goals by being painfully predictable. That isnâ
  68. Feb 11, 2011
    This is the first game I've played in a while. It was cool being 'into' a game again. The story line was good, and the graphics and levels were great. Very good controls and audio. My only thing with it was maybe a little bit drawn out, but after beating it, it didn't seem so bad. I really liked the safe/inventory feature. I'm working on unlocking all the achievements now. I don't count onThis is the first game I've played in a while. It was cool being 'into' a game again. The story line was good, and the graphics and levels were great. Very good controls and audio. My only thing with it was maybe a little bit drawn out, but after beating it, it didn't seem so bad. I really liked the safe/inventory feature. I'm working on unlocking all the achievements now. I don't count on getting all of them! Looking forward to playing the sequel. Expand
  69. Jan 24, 2011
    Great atmosphere and sounds indeed. However, the enemies look and function at a hilarious level of unrealism. There are parts that I could compare to Jimmy Neutron episodes in terms of unrealistic. Here you have very realistic graphics with monsters that look anything but. In fact they're so stupid looking It kills the fear of the entire game for me; and without that this game is just aGreat atmosphere and sounds indeed. However, the enemies look and function at a hilarious level of unrealism. There are parts that I could compare to Jimmy Neutron episodes in terms of unrealistic. Here you have very realistic graphics with monsters that look anything but. In fact they're so stupid looking It kills the fear of the entire game for me; and without that this game is just a really repetitive shooter with an upgrade system. Not to mention painfully boring. Not a recommended title unless being chased by special ed class terrifies you. Expand
  70. Dec 30, 2010
    An epic, atmospheric game that sets a new standard for survival horror. I haven't had so much fun being scared in space since I watched the first Alien movie. The only complaint I have is that the only downloadable content packages are all just new suits of armor that don't change the gameplay much. However, since Dead Space 2 is coming out within the next month I won't have to wait longAn epic, atmospheric game that sets a new standard for survival horror. I haven't had so much fun being scared in space since I watched the first Alien movie. The only complaint I have is that the only downloadable content packages are all just new suits of armor that don't change the gameplay much. However, since Dead Space 2 is coming out within the next month I won't have to wait long to get a second dose of this awesomeness. Expand
  71. Dec 13, 2010
    On my list of top 5 games. I am a sucker for survival horror games and it doesn't get much better than this. The atmosphere, the jump moments, and the freaky looking monsters all add to the tension. Add in some thought provoking puzzles, fun combat, and a good storyline...and what else could you ask for?
  72. Nov 25, 2010
    This is the best single player horror action shooter game ever made. Wow, kind of a lot of things on that genre. But, as it stands, I have never been gripped so tightly by such an atmospheric game before. At first, you're scared, but then after that, you start to realize how much fun it is -- there's a great deal of storyline mixed with tense action moments, and overall it has the kind ofThis is the best single player horror action shooter game ever made. Wow, kind of a lot of things on that genre. But, as it stands, I have never been gripped so tightly by such an atmospheric game before. At first, you're scared, but then after that, you start to realize how much fun it is -- there's a great deal of storyline mixed with tense action moments, and overall it has the kind of pacing that kept me coming back for more. Expand
  73. Oct 22, 2010
    It's been a long time since I played a game as well made as this one. Playing this one with the lights out if the way to go, as my many spare underpants go to show. It gets the heart pumping to say the least!
  74. Sep 21, 2010
    The combat in this game is the best part. A lot of great weapons which upon up a lot of options in terms of fun and innovative way to take on the necromorphs. The story, while well-written and voice acted pretty well, is pretty generic. At least worth a rental, however I may recommend a purchase because I liked playing through this game multiple times.
  75. Sep 15, 2010
    I think that the atmosphere in this game does it all. The sound effects are simply amazing and the enemies never stop to surprise me when I am playing. The graphics are really well done and I often found myself completly "in character" because of this. Everything is top notch! I cannot wait for the sequel.
  76. Aug 16, 2010
    Dead Space is an amazing game, and undoubtedly, one of the best horror games of all-time. The graphics are truly amazing, the A.I. is challenging, the combat is tense and as gory as it is possible to be; the story is mysterious and intruiging and is similar to Bioshock with its audio and text logs. Anyways, the only faults I had with the game was the inventory system, the lack ofDead Space is an amazing game, and undoubtedly, one of the best horror games of all-time. The graphics are truly amazing, the A.I. is challenging, the combat is tense and as gory as it is possible to be; the story is mysterious and intruiging and is similar to Bioshock with its audio and text logs. Anyways, the only faults I had with the game was the inventory system, the lack of character development(i.e., Issac) and scarcity of ammo, which counter-acts itself because thanks to the low amounts of ammo, the tension rises expentionally. The ending was good and well-timed, but it wasn't scary. I do like how it managed to open up the sequel very well, and that it didn't turn into a cliched conclusion to a an amazing game. I urge you to buy this game. Give it a chance. Go into the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Ishimura. And don't bother screaming because no one can hear you scream in Outer Space. A 9.9/10 Expand
  77. N.Davidson
    Jan 17, 2010
    The graphics are good. The atmosphere of the game is alright. Other than that, this game is horribly irritating and repetitive. The controls are godawful and slow for the PC, and I'm not a fan of the whole "third-person-over-the-shoulder" view. Some of the voice acting is pretty bad as well. Maybe the controls are better for the 360, but I'm not about to find out anytime soon.
  78. DavidT
    Dec 25, 2009
    Great game. Loved the atmosphere. Very exciting and fun.
  79. RicO
    Dec 16, 2009
    A brilliant Survival horror game, blowing all of it's competition out of the airlock (excuse the pun). This is a brilliantly put together game with great graphics and gameplay. I was sourly disappointed with Resident Evil 5, but Dead Space grabbed me by the collar and never let go. It is claustrophobic and genuinely disturbing in places. The character and monster animation is A brilliant Survival horror game, blowing all of it's competition out of the airlock (excuse the pun). This is a brilliantly put together game with great graphics and gameplay. I was sourly disappointed with Resident Evil 5, but Dead Space grabbed me by the collar and never let go. It is claustrophobic and genuinely disturbing in places. The character and monster animation is absolutely brilliant. And to boot, the storyline is great too, and the game really makes the most of the fact that it is set in space. All in all, this is a solid classic in my book, and the best survival horror game to date. Expand
  80. Will
    Oct 16, 2009
    I am not a big first person shooter fan, but I can safely say this is the best I have ever played. To anyone knocking the graphics.. you must be from the future or something, because they are the best that technology has to offer. And those knocking it's repetitiveness must have A.D.D or something, because I was blown away at how fun, interesting, and freaky it was. What games are I am not a big first person shooter fan, but I can safely say this is the best I have ever played. To anyone knocking the graphics.. you must be from the future or something, because they are the best that technology has to offer. And those knocking it's repetitiveness must have A.D.D or something, because I was blown away at how fun, interesting, and freaky it was. What games are you using for comparison? Perhaps Virtual Reality. Anyway, those interested in the "Space-horror" type movies will love this game.. it is like being able to play instead of watch movies like Aliens or Event Horizon. The story line is awesome, maybe not 100 percent original (as it does take a lot from space-horror movies) but interesting, and engaging. The enemies are fun as hell to kill. The puzzles are just difficult enough to NOT take away from the FPS experience.. in other words, you don't get lost in trying to solve puzzles like in Silent Hill. I didn't give it a 10 only because one thing did annoy me slightly about it: the ammo/items supply. At times, you have to really conserve on ammo when all you want to do is blow stuff away. Other than that though, AWESOME game. Will buy Dead Space II as soon as it is available. Expand
  81. Dos
    Sep 20, 2009
    I normally do not play horror games of any sort so this is VERY different for me. I'm sure there are many of you who do not believe games that make you jump can be fun or enjoyable to any degree but this game is going to suprise all of you. This is true because I was the same way. My interest in games brought me to this game's trailers and reviews and soon enough to my friends I normally do not play horror games of any sort so this is VERY different for me. I'm sure there are many of you who do not believe games that make you jump can be fun or enjoyable to any degree but this game is going to suprise all of you. This is true because I was the same way. My interest in games brought me to this game's trailers and reviews and soon enough to my friends to see if this game was worth the decent review it kept getting. Expecting nothing more than a thriller, I played the first two levels and found that the game was enjoyable while at the same time effin scary. The graphics are amazing and the way things are so quiet one moment then screaming in your ear the next, sets a hype in the game that you don't often get with your typical game. The gameplay itself is easy to learn and adds to the creepy feeling that you always get when walking down a dark, gloomy hallway. But the one thing that caught my interest the most was the enemies. With the deformed limbs of the necromorphs squirming and wriggling as they sprint at you while swinging at the air with whatever those things are coming out of their hands, it just makes you want to shoot them all the more. The only thing that keeps this game from becoming the best game i've ever played which is still CoD 4 modern, is the somewhat lessened thrill towards the end of the game and the lack of multiplayer. Other than that, Dead Space deserves much more than an 8.9 and is worth the money to buy. Expand
  82. PL
    Sep 2, 2009
    While at a friends house we decided to run down to Hollywood Video and rent this game. A friend had told me about how much he loved it, but after playing the demo, I was skeptical. However, I soon realized just how amazing this game actually is. It starts off relatively simple with only 1-2 enemies at a time, however it grows steadily throughout the game to the point that you really While at a friends house we decided to run down to Hollywood Video and rent this game. A friend had told me about how much he loved it, but after playing the demo, I was skeptical. However, I soon realized just how amazing this game actually is. It starts off relatively simple with only 1-2 enemies at a time, however it grows steadily throughout the game to the point that you really understand the "Survival" part of this genre. This game is a blast to play, and takes a completely unique look at this genre that has had few successes in the recent years. It forces you to think of unique ways to kill your foe. The unique story line, weapons, and combat of this game makes it one of my favorites. The difficulty of the game scales well, and the puzzles in the game are challenging, yet doable. Another feature that has made this game "too easy" in some peoples eyes is your ability to project a path of light showing you what route to take to your objective. I cant count how many times I've played a game, stopped to pop off someones head, and end up going the wrong way. Dead Space is an absolute blast to play and I highly recommend it. Expand
  83. PaulD
    Aug 20, 2009
    This game has tremendous entertainment value. The level designs are creative and visually engaging, especially when you consider that most occur on a big spaceship. The 'baddies' are grotesque and frightening at times, but the real fun lies in tearing them to pieces with an array of upgradable weapons.
  84. LiamR
    Aug 18, 2009
    I knew there was a large amount of hype surrounding Dead Space on release so I waited until I found it at a reduced price in WH-Smiths. I'm unhappy to state that I'm glad I waited. The game starts off very promising, the graphics are gorgeous and the sound and atmosphere were incredible. I was really enjoying the game for the first hour or so but then the problems began to I knew there was a large amount of hype surrounding Dead Space on release so I waited until I found it at a reduced price in WH-Smiths. I'm unhappy to state that I'm glad I waited. The game starts off very promising, the graphics are gorgeous and the sound and atmosphere were incredible. I was really enjoying the game for the first hour or so but then the problems began to occur. Firstly the excellent graphics are witnessed less and less as you progress as the game starts taking on the murky corridor design and everything seems to be all one colour. The game doesn't seem to know how to balance itself (Normal Difficulty) in some sections it seems absurdly easy with ammo aplenty and enemies evenly spread out, but in far too many places all the loot from enemies and chests becomes money or ammo for weapons you don't posses and to add salt to the wound this is when the game decides to throw large quantities of enemies at you that would be difficult to kill even if you had full health and ammo. The fear factor for the game loses it's very clever suspenseful edge at the same points where enemies keep jumping out from vents and corners that was done far too many times in DOOM 3. The anti gravity sections are interesting but the game doesn't always want to let you jump accordingly which can be very frustrating in the timed sections where it doesn't want to allow you to walk into areas with oxygen. I find it hard to not like Dead Space but it seems to want me to hate it. What was good at the beginning slowly degrades and the objectives become go to location press button/ pick something up and backtrack. Expand
  85. ChristianW
    Aug 12, 2009
    It's easy to kick Dead Space for it's obvious lack of originality, but it's an excellent homage to the films, Alien, Aliens and Event Horizon. There are many bits from lighting effects, to the sounds to the look of the levels that have you ticking off which scenes from the aforementioned three films they borrowed ideas from. If, like me, you love these films then It's easy to kick Dead Space for it's obvious lack of originality, but it's an excellent homage to the films, Alien, Aliens and Event Horizon. There are many bits from lighting effects, to the sounds to the look of the levels that have you ticking off which scenes from the aforementioned three films they borrowed ideas from. If, like me, you love these films then you'll immediately warm to the game purely for the atmosphere it instills on the player. There's one thing that Dead Space does extremely well and that is oozing atmosphere and foreboding onto the player. There are points where you literally stand back an appreciate some of the graphical design work that has been put into various levels. Truly some are works of art. Unfortunately this atmosphere becomes secondary to the "go here, flip that switch, run back to where you started, flick another switch" style of gameplay. The occasional puzzle exists to break up the switch flicking gameplay but, unfortunately, these are lighweight resulting in Dead Space becoming samey rather quickly. The weapons are satisfyingly gruesome to use and the enemy a pleasure to kill but there are many questionable design decisions throughout Dead Space that make you wonder if the developers thought "The more crap we cram in the better this game will be!" rather than taking a "less is more approach" and keeping the gameplay refined. The plot is cliched, the map is the worst map I've used in over 25+ years of gaming, the menu system an irritatance, both the "shop" and upgrade systems feel unnecessarily bolted on and the controls are, to put it politely, "dreadful". About a third of the way through you start to wonder where the game that started off so promisingly went so wrong. I hope that the problems with Dead Space are resolved in the inevitable sequel because as it stands Dead Space is a flawed classic. Expand
  86. michaelk
    Jul 5, 2009
    Terrifying at times and breath-taking at others. Dead Space also has an emmersive story. The best part of the game however, for me, is the power node system for upgrading weapons. Basically power nodes are very rare to come by and they can be used to upgrade weapons. Once you have a decent arsenal of weapons the choice of where to spend them is probably the most difficult a have ever had Terrifying at times and breath-taking at others. Dead Space also has an emmersive story. The best part of the game however, for me, is the power node system for upgrading weapons. Basically power nodes are very rare to come by and they can be used to upgrade weapons. Once you have a decent arsenal of weapons the choice of where to spend them is probably the most difficult a have ever had to make in a game. And to all you 'call of duty' or 'fifa' gamers who would never go for a single player games, trust me, the gameplay is equally exciting and the experience is by far more satisfying. BUY NOW!! Expand
  87. Sasha
    Jun 24, 2009
    One of the best games i have ever played and my favorite single player survival horror game ever!(L4D is fav multi-plyr). the game could have been longer though. i beat it in 10.5 hours, but i roam around and look for things. this game had amazing atmosphere and lighting, and the guns were great, even though the ripper could have been a little stronger. i almost sh** my self so many times One of the best games i have ever played and my favorite single player survival horror game ever!(L4D is fav multi-plyr). the game could have been longer though. i beat it in 10.5 hours, but i roam around and look for things. this game had amazing atmosphere and lighting, and the guns were great, even though the ripper could have been a little stronger. i almost sh** my self so many times it wasn't even funny. the end of the game was incredible. *no spoilers* the last boss was epic, it was like the kinda boss you would expect from Gears. and the last thing u see before the game ends freaked me out so much i had to call it my favorite game ending ever! also, the story was great too and there was a plot twist no one will see coming. Here's waiting for Dead Space 2! Expand
  88. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 13, 2009
    8.5 I would prefer to say, but an 8 reflects the sheer thrill and excitement this game give me and others around me. Simply it's a game that engages you more than many movies can, and while it isn't necessarily scary the tension build ups and unexpected twists do keep you at the edge of your seat, rather than the dodgy wino music. Graphics are exceptional, truly you will not see 8.5 I would prefer to say, but an 8 reflects the sheer thrill and excitement this game give me and others around me. Simply it's a game that engages you more than many movies can, and while it isn't necessarily scary the tension build ups and unexpected twists do keep you at the edge of your seat, rather than the dodgy wino music. Graphics are exceptional, truly you will not see better graphics any time soon on any console. The opening and end sequences are truly a joy to behold! Voice acting is surprised good, mission structure well thought out, weaponry second to none (especially the ripper), and most importantly the plot is straightforward, not insulting towards the player like MGS4 or RE5. Enemy types EA could of done a lot better with, some of their Kamikaze behaviour are funny, but during the game they do become slightly more interesting and and of course more deadly! Lastly the sense of loneliness isn't lost on the player at all, infact at the end of the game I drew breath almost exactly with Isaac, as I almost felt like I experienced the horrors as he did. An unmissable game, not to be missed. In space, nobody cares if you scream, all they care about is survival! Expand
  89. Rob
    Jun 5, 2009
    Scary in a way not seen since Fatal Frame combined with next gen graphics and controls make this game a must play. This game provides new and unique perspective in the survival horror while reinventing certain aspects that seem at home in the genre. This is simply a game not to be missed by Sci Fi/Horror/Survival enthusiasts anywhere. It's Event Horizon meets Aliens.
  90. PeteB
    May 3, 2009
    Dead Space-where no one can hear you scream.... Dead Space puts you in the shoes of Isaac Clark, an engineer sent to fix communications on a mining ship. But he finds no one on board and soon finds out the horrific truth--an anceint alien species has been released on the ship. Graphics-9/10 very good light effects and great graphics will have you on the edge of your seat(and soiling your Dead Space-where no one can hear you scream.... Dead Space puts you in the shoes of Isaac Clark, an engineer sent to fix communications on a mining ship. But he finds no one on board and soon finds out the horrific truth--an anceint alien species has been released on the ship. Graphics-9/10 very good light effects and great graphics will have you on the edge of your seat(and soiling your pants). Story-10/10 brilliant! full of twists and turns that make a great game even greater I dont want to spoil anything though! Audio-10/10 music adds a lot to the atmosphere, voice acting and gun sounds are spot on and Necromorphs sound as scary as hell! Gameplay-8/10 Controls may take a while to get used to and the map and inventory are crap to be honest but once you get used to them they fit in great with the game. The worst part is that it can get repetitive near the end. Overall-9/10 horror fans will love it and it is worth at least a rental for any gamer trust me-it wont let you down. Expand
  91. DaveB
    Apr 6, 2009
    Dead Space was a rough ride from start to finish, in an exceptionally good way. The graphics are stunning and the soundtrack flawless, and the tension created almost made me want to stop playing the game. The storyline is good, if not a bit similar to Doom 3, and I felt a huge drive to finish the game to find out what was going on! The maps, if not very linear, were excellently made with Dead Space was a rough ride from start to finish, in an exceptionally good way. The graphics are stunning and the soundtrack flawless, and the tension created almost made me want to stop playing the game. The storyline is good, if not a bit similar to Doom 3, and I felt a huge drive to finish the game to find out what was going on! The maps, if not very linear, were excellently made with the anti-gravity and limb shooting a unique touch. Very scary and almost a relief to finish but I will definitely be giving it a second go on impossible mode. Expand
  92. MJ
    Feb 26, 2009
    This game is absolutely horrible. The only redeeming quality of this game is the graphics and they are only mediocre at best. The controls are terrible. The inventory/map/objective screens are a jumbled mess. The level design is beyond yawn inducing. The story is worthless. This game is a cheap Doom 3 and Resident Evil ripoff. My favorite aspect of the game is all the backtracking. Every This game is absolutely horrible. The only redeeming quality of this game is the graphics and they are only mediocre at best. The controls are terrible. The inventory/map/objective screens are a jumbled mess. The level design is beyond yawn inducing. The story is worthless. This game is a cheap Doom 3 and Resident Evil ripoff. My favorite aspect of the game is all the backtracking. Every mission you have to backtrack to where you started. There is a total of 12 levels but there is only truly about 3 or 4. The enemy design is ripped straight from The Suffering. This game doesn't do a single thing to differentiate from any other half assed piece of crap available. I can't even recommend this game as a rental. Save your money. The people that score this game highly must have extremely low expectations in life. I rated this game a 3 for its graphics only. Expand
  93. FenjenH.
    Feb 16, 2009
    This is THE best single player game I've ever played. If you get used to the game it's not that scary anymore but still it's really fun. I'ts the first (single-player) game ever that I played again after beating it. I really can't wait till Death Space 2.

10 out of 10 because you can't choose 9.5 (it still has some minor flaws)
  94. RichardP.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Sure it's got lovely graphics and interesting design (and very good sound effects BUT the game is ultimately BORING. Forget about what all these other reviews say. The first hour is interesting because the game is still a novelty. This game is retative and predictable. Corridor after corridor. And your missions are all the same, go to a different part of the ship and collect Sure it's got lovely graphics and interesting design (and very good sound effects BUT the game is ultimately BORING. Forget about what all these other reviews say. The first hour is interesting because the game is still a novelty. This game is retative and predictable. Corridor after corridor. And your missions are all the same, go to a different part of the ship and collect something/push a button/play a mini game. First hour is ok. Ten hours later, it's worse than pulling teeth. This is a high quality game that has been stretched and cheaply lengthened until it's a boring husk. Expand
  95. JayG
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dead Space is such a clever and unique title. The game takes the behind the shoulder angle like Resident Evil 4 and even improves on it by having your HUD on the character, life, slowmotion, and ammo gauges. The graphics and gameplay are perfect, recomended for anyone who like RE4 or survivor horror games.
  96. MikeH.
    Jan 25, 2009
    Although interesting, the controls felt too similar to Resident Evil 4 and the game itself started to drag on--feeling repetitive--by around the 8th stage. An outstanding first time trek into horror for EA, the game has a lot of quality features, outstanding graphics, creepy atmosphere, but a few things that felt like rip-offs of earlier projects (The Thing, Resident Evil 4, Event Although interesting, the controls felt too similar to Resident Evil 4 and the game itself started to drag on--feeling repetitive--by around the 8th stage. An outstanding first time trek into horror for EA, the game has a lot of quality features, outstanding graphics, creepy atmosphere, but a few things that felt like rip-offs of earlier projects (The Thing, Resident Evil 4, Event Horizon). A lot of these are great in their own right and that kind of influence is what drew me to the game in the first place. Sadly, Dead Space felt too much like those and not enough like it's own entity. Expand
  97. PaulP
    Jan 22, 2009
    This game is absolutely fantastic. Beautiful to look at, with a great story, and a good challenge if played on the hardest difficulty setting. I would go so far as to say its easily the BEST horror game I've ever played. Although much backtracking is required, this adds to the realism rather than detracting from the variability of game-play.
  98. AdamH.
    Jan 14, 2009
    This is one of the best games of 2008 in my honest opinion. I'm on my second round through the game and I can't get over how great the environments are. The USG Ishimura truly has a place in the Sci-Fi horror hall of fame and is definitely the star of the show. Traversing this massive planet-cracking space station is a real treat for the eyes and ears. Character models are This is one of the best games of 2008 in my honest opinion. I'm on my second round through the game and I can't get over how great the environments are. The USG Ishimura truly has a place in the Sci-Fi horror hall of fame and is definitely the star of the show. Traversing this massive planet-cracking space station is a real treat for the eyes and ears. Character models are top-notch and the voice acting is excellent as well. The story is rich and has some depth to it that fans could wonder about long after the game is completed. Combat (particularly aiming) feels a bit wonky at first but once you get used to it it's as effective as any 3rd-person shooter. The dismembering tactic is a much appreciated change to traditional combat as well. All of these elements combined make for a truly fantastic game. If your a fan of Sci-Fi horror or survival horror then do yourself a favor and pick this one up. Altman be praised! Expand
  99. AlisonW.
    Jan 9, 2009
    A psychologically sickening story and grusome visual effects added with epic audio, scary lights, and total immursion makes Dead Space one of the most horrifying and terrifying games ever. It puts you on the edge of your seat with suspense and tension, then makes you fall off when the monsters come. If you like blood and guts and violence, buy this game. If you like good programming and a A psychologically sickening story and grusome visual effects added with epic audio, scary lights, and total immursion makes Dead Space one of the most horrifying and terrifying games ever. It puts you on the edge of your seat with suspense and tension, then makes you fall off when the monsters come. If you like blood and guts and violence, buy this game. If you like good programming and a spine-tingling soundtrack, buy this game. If you like a chilling story and a gripping plot, BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  100. HagenM.
    Jan 7, 2009
    This game takes everything the RE4 did gameplay wise, nearly perfects it, then adds in the most frightening game ever created. This is the only game I have ever been to afraid of to play it at certain hours of the night. The amazing sound design and the most frightening things I have ever seen, the Necromorphs, saw to that. The story starts out slow but then draws you in as you begin to This game takes everything the RE4 did gameplay wise, nearly perfects it, then adds in the most frightening game ever created. This is the only game I have ever been to afraid of to play it at certain hours of the night. The amazing sound design and the most frightening things I have ever seen, the Necromorphs, saw to that. The story starts out slow but then draws you in as you begin to feel that you are Isaac Clarke. Throw in a completely unexpected twist and you will fall in love with this story. The gameplay as said, capitolizes on RE4's over the shoulder style, but adds in a completely new design mechanic, Strategic Dismemberment. With SD, you must aim at certain areas of certain Necro's bodies. This game also brings and eeries sense of hopelesness, as you search for more ammo when you seem to be running out and must flee from oncoming necro's. Nothing else get's your heart pumping like Dead Space. Expand

1. The very fact that we wish Dead Space included more of its original features and less content pulled from the last generation's greatest game speaks volumes for the quality on show. [Issue # 71]
    Call it science fiction survival horror, but Dead Space does the genre proud with an engaging story; action that's tense, fast-paced and extremely violent; as well as atmospheric qualities that will get under your skin and make you jump.
    It's easily the best survival horror game since the masterful "Resident Evil 4" and it sets the bar high for graphics, sound, and scares in its respective genre. Dead Space is an artistic nightmare clearly designed for survival horror fans by a passionate and dedicated team of like-minded gamers. Just be sure to play it with the lights on.