8.0

1. Aug 1, 2012
    If you've read either WWZ or the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks you will love this game. I read the reviews from Game Informer and IGN and was set up for a disapointment. Thankfully it's a great game, very comparable to limbo in terms of gameplay mechanics, story and graphics (Deadlight is the winner in the graphics dept.) The story is well developed, especially the diary and the controls while not incredibly tight (eg. Mario Bros.) are really not even close to as bad what everyone is b#!^*ing on about. Deadlight controls really well, it feels like an adult platformer.. which is what it is. Deadlight is a well developed, story driven, easy to play zombie survival game and contrary to popular opinion IT IS what the Zombie video game genre needs right now. If you're a mature adult with an attention span over 30seconds and a fan of the Slouching Masses, pick it up. For reference, because I fear this game might pass unnoticed because of the average reviews it's getting, I also consider Half Life, Portal and Battlefield 3 (Skateordie03 on xbox, come have a match) to be great games. Expand
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    Went against the reviews, played the trial, bought the game. Great atmosphere, solid story, amazing visuals. Having a blast with the game. Worth checking out!
  3. Aug 3, 2012
    While the game obviously has some flaws, most of the bad reviews didn't get the picture. "Deadlight" actually is a REAL old school cinematic platformer. It's funny to see critics saying "out of this world" is a masterpiece but "deadlight" sucks, while they share the same premises.

- "it's too linear, just a follow-the-path game". C'mon. Ain't seen a game more linear than "out of this
    world".

- "pixel perfect jumps"; c'mon... OOTW was exactly the same. maybe even harder. - "too expensive". Well, I paid 2400 pts (16 euros or so) for OOTW. And keep in mind this was 20 years ago, deadlight is much longer, and there's a big crew of people on tequila works.

- "too short". OOTW could be finished in less than 20 minutes, for christ sake. Without help of any kind, DL can take you 2'5 to 4 hours on the first playtrough. YES IT CAN. Keep in mind that each time you die time goes back to the checkpoint too. Anyone who says he finished it on less than 2 hours the first time without any help, is lying. We know this is a game where you die A LOT the first time you play.

So that's my opinion. Critics didn't know what they had to review. Times have obviously changed, but if you've read any interviews or you've seen the developer diaries, the guys totally warned us; "this is a real old-school cinematic platformer". The problem is that some people didn't believe them.
  4. Aug 6, 2012
    In all honesty Tequila has created something truly unique. XBLA game, 1200MSP. It's 90% enjoyment and 10% frustration. Deadlight can be characterized by the fact that it's worth more than the sum of it's parts. Zombies are the theme of hundreds of games and 2D sidescrollers have been done since the NES. But Deadlight is created within a 3D world in a 2D setting - the attention to detail is astonishing, sometimes you have to stand still and die just to admire the small bits. The biggest flaws show themselves when in the tightest situations - the game asks for precision not achievable with the currently implemented controls. I mean the close quarters combat is satisfying - the man's a park ranger, not a serial killer, so it's only logical that he cannot take on a horde alone. On the other hand the clunky controls can be a real pain when outrunning a machinegun-totting chopper and having to memorize jumps. Which brings us to the last flaw - the game throws you into situations where you have to quickly cope with mechanics you might have not yet come used to. However the graphics are awesome, the characters are believable, story is great. I myself thoroughly enjoyed Deadlight. 1200MSP isn't all that much for a few hours of great entertainment in my eyes. If you like zombies, a stark setting, a surprisingly good story and sidescrolling, then you owe it to yourself to give Deadlight a go! Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2012
    Deadlight took me about 4 hours to finish. For 15 bucks, I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth. The environments are amazing and the story is pretty twisted. what really stood out for as cool was the fact that i was not just simply hacking and slashing through Zombies. When you see a gang of Zombies, run! The Survival horror mixed with platforming was good fun. Controls felt a little odd at first, but nothing that was game breaking. Solid buy in my book! Lastly, the 80's mini games collection was a nice touch. Expand
  6. Aug 1, 2012
    This is definitely the best arcade game of the summer! Amazing visuals, challenging puzzles and complex and strategic gameplay, Deadlight is a game that os worth your time!
  7. Aug 5, 2012
    Great game! I was a bit sceptical because of the low metascore, but I decided to download the trial anyway and was positively surprised. I really don't understand the low scores this game is getting. It has great atmosphere, agreat story and superb visuals.
  8. Aug 3, 2012
    I am proud to have bought Deadlight at launch, to be part of making this great game a success! Totally worth the ride! Deadlight is captivating, poetically beautiful, suspenseful and creative. The game play is well balanced, zombies are sometimes funny, sometimes terrifying... A true adventure. The critical path of the story may seem short but truthfully, there is reason to go back in, when you see all the relics not found in the first pass racing through, the journal and retro mini games, It is a rich and well designed game. I fully recommend it. Expand
  9. Apr 24, 2014
    I got this game from Games with Gold membership and it was very nice game. I liked the graphics, atmosphere and gameplay. It could be more longer. I did not enjoy all my weapons and skills at such short gameplay. Anyway still very good game...
  10. Aug 3, 2012

world".

Strong atmosphere in an extremely stylish platformer is spoiled by some frustrating parts and overall shortness but yet Deadlight is definitely worth trying. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Deadlight is an amazingly beautiful game. The combination of a simplistic foreground and incredibly detailed backgrounds is breathtaking. However, the gameplay isn't as elaborate. It relies heavily on trial and error, especially in the second half of the game. This made the game both frustrating and boring.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    Delivers good story with oppressive atmosphere combined with stunning 3D visuals on 2D action spiced with great music, but trips over stiff gameplay and repetitive puzzles. [Sept 2012]