7.2

1. Nov 19, 2014
    Defiance was a game I picked up for full price due to peer pressure from my friends saying it was going to be game of the year worthy quality, so my expectations were extremely high before I even held the controller. The game is opened world "MMO" I put that quotation because I wouldn't class it an MMO myself due to fact everyone looked the same and there wasn't much else to do but mission after mission which then to grind after grind.

I played this on the 360 while this was a new experience for console gamer's they forgot to take into account that this is a console community and aren't used to MMO's this led to barely anyone using the chat or talking outside of an Xbox live party.

The amount of time an Arkfall took was ridiculously long, I would be one of the guys dumb another to grind it out and sit back and hold trigger while I check my twitter feed, then the be a bombardment of people who come in at the last segments of the enemies health to get rewarded for absolutely nothing.

My final review is this game isn't the worst game play is very mundane and expected; but it was very disappointing after all the hype that surrounded it before launch like a middle age man with erectile dysfunction it had the potential to be fun but in the end it flopped and left people crying haha. This game causes me to research any game before purchasing from any friend recommendation as they were the first to sell this game and I was left to play on my own until I found sense.

Thanks for reading my review of Defiance Xbox 360

Ninjo
  2. Oct 12, 2014
    Before buying this I looked at the critics comments, but I put those in perspective... a critic is exactly that someone that criticizes. Then I looked a the player comments and see what those that actually play and use the game and not review one had to say and I agree for the most part this is a pretty good bang up game for the money and keeps you moving. For those that complain it is the same old go here, kill that, do this mission then another, REALITY CHECK! I have fought in 6 different conflicts in 6 different parts of the world and you REALLY WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING? War is exactly that way. You go here, look for that, kill something or a whole lot of someones if you have to, and the next day you go out and you do it again, and again. What did you expect? Lollipops and unicorns ... if so .. I think there are still a few Care Bear Games around you could check out.... Yeah, I am a grandfather of 16 ... with two sons under the age of 12 ... AND I PLAY XBOX ... because my grand kids and kids aren't going to show this old man up too easy if I have anything to say about it ... besides it was your grand-parents generation that invented these things not some young snot-nose college kid and I owned the FIRST ATRIA SOLD ON FT. RILEY, KANSAS two days after it was released... so there! Expand
  3. Jun 12, 2014
    Game completely hampered by the fact every time you want to play you are faced with a loooooong wait for it to install the latest patch - and when you are in the game you'll find it devoid of other player because hardly anyone plays it anymore .... Disappointing to say the least.
  4. Apr 29, 2014
    A fairly decent shooter/looter I should say, pretty fun random events such as arkfalls and shadow wars which include the vast majority of people playing at the time.

New content is always added, just to freshen things up a bit along the line, however some missions can feel a bit similar, and the land is barren, bleak and lacking character.

For an MMO on the console, it's outstanding,
    since there is no other MMO on the Xbox or PS3. The graphics are fine but aren't used and pushed to the full potential, and neither is the game. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2014
    People keep comparing it to games like WoW. It's not like Wow. This may be both one of the best MMOs as well as 3rd person shooters I've played. Blast away.
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    I was one of the individuals who was watching defiance the tv show as I was playing this game and as much us I like the concept and hope it works well in upcoming games (quantum break) I just felt this like many other things I expected from the game did not quite deliver.

The game mechanics work well, was solid gameplay all through, the story and voice acting, cutscenes etc were pretty
    lame but the world to drive around in was decent.

I did not like the leveling scheme which revolves more around your weapons than your character, and lack of a voice chat was very off putting (I don't know if this was rectified)

The game certainly wasn't an MMO in the traditional sense as there was little actual interaction or communication between players, you just all happened to be driving around killing things together.

To me it just played like a b grade third person borderlands.
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    Ok let's start this review with a central statement: Defiance is not a classic MMO. But for concoles is a nice "new" game.
    It's more accurate to define it as an Online Action TPS. The MMO component is present but you should not buy it thinking it as a classic MMO. There are no classes, gear is limited to weapons, shield, grandes, outfits and headgear is only for costumizing the character.
    The game is quite fun in solo, and very funny with friends. There are big boss battles with many other players (hundreds), there are vehicles and a lot to explore. the story is OK, not great and a bit repetitive, but it's ok. Expand
  8. Aug 25, 2013
    I'm actually a bit surprised as to how this game turned out. An MMO on consoles (and PC) with a tie-tin TV show? How can you go wrong? Well, Trion Worlds figured that out. The game is pretty good when it works: multiple players taking on missions and Arkfalls, lots of weapons and loot to collect (kind of like Borderlands), leveling up and unlocking different skills, and a persistent world whose events are influenced by the show and vice versa. You can choose between four EGO powers wit hdifferent upgrades, and you can complete challenges to get access to exclusive gear. However, since this is an MMO, you can expect a lot of slowdown (especially on consoles) and some weird bugs. The game's constantly being updated to add stuff and fix bugs which would be pretty good... if the updates didn't take forever to download. And as with any MMO, there are microtransactions which range from XP boosts to cosmetic gear. All in all, this game is proof that MMOs CAN work on consoles... it's just that some more polish is needed if this game is going to contend with the likes of World of Warcraft. Expand
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    Now I see some reviews and wonder if the person actually watched the TV show and gave the game a good chance. The only reason this isn't a 10 is because I just got the game last week after watching the entire season on iTunes after completely spacing forgetting about it for a few months I missed the show and release so I got a late start which is why I'm giving this a 9 instead of a 10. Because I got a late start I don't get to play any of the Episode Missions that go with the TV Show which I love. I'm now changing this to a 8 as we speak as I remember the response I got after asking why these are only available at certain times they said because it wouldn't work right because the show is over for the season, but if a show is available to buy and was still fresh in my mind why shouldn't I be allowed to play the missions that go with it?? I don't see what it would hurt to have these missions available as the side missions are if you don't wish to do them then you don't have to but if you just got into the show and game then they are there for you to enjoy. I'm a little more upset the more I write ok it's a 7 now. See this is how my experince went over the past few days playing at first it was a 10 then the more and more I was disappointed about the Episode Missions not being there it's like what was the point of buying the entire first season on iTunes and buying th game?? How do they expect to attract new viewers if the only players that get the full experience were the ones there from day one? This is a HUGE oversight as the game doesn't seem to be doing well I seen TONS of used copies and the price is already down to 20 buck for a new copy after 4 months and the like 200 version with all the awesome stuff is now only 60 which if they let me play the episodes I'm totally buying for all the cool stuff the season pass is 40 whats an extra 20 for the back pack statue an art book and some other cool collectibles which as big a fan as I am of the show I am going to cherish. So yes if they fix the Episode Mission thing and fix the clan system this game would be an 12/10 in my book. Expand
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    If you give this game a 0 you really don't know what you are talking about or you are frustrated with how the servers are responding right now and that's understandable. I myself was in a frustrated state last night when I finally got home at 5pm ET and wasn't able to sign on and play until 8pm ET. Still though, there isn't almost any game that deserves a 0, most have redeeming qualities.

Let's get to the game itself, it's a fun 3rd person shooter MMO on a console. Is it genre defining? By no means is it, but what it is is a pretty solid console MMO. I had a blast last night joining groups of 30-40 people fighting massive Hellbugs. I also had fun running around doing missions and having assistance come storming in when I thought there wasn't anyone around.

Bottom line is its fun and it's going to evolve over time and for that I'm excited. They fix the servers within the next few weeks and this game will be getting more and more praise. It's not a 10 and it sure isn't a 0 so don't let those reviews fool you. It's a good game and thanks for letting us finally experience a good console MMO Trion Worlds.
  11. Jul 8, 2013
    Great game has its problems tho small enemy can randomly kick your arse, some pursuits are nearly impossible like killing the boss of major arkfalls. no player choose
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    Defiance is a good game, but not chart-topping. It takes on several MMO standards such as a loot system, weapon levels, and enemy variation. However, the fact that it is from a 3rd person view and has a very single player like system makes it much different.

Defiance is fun and original for while, but is very repetitive after a while. The side quests seem to mimic each other as kill
    this or collect that. Servers are laggy and patching is long. I'm going to give this one a 7 and end it here because there isn't much to review.

Overall 7

Story 7
    Gameplay 7
    Multiplayer 7
    Graphics, Misc 7

I think you see where I'm going with this.
  13. Jun 17, 2013
    Hopefully this review will give you a good idea about what you'll be getting into if you decide to play Defiance. This game is a third-person shooter MMO in the same spirit of Borderlands. Lots of run and gun gameplay with plenty of loot. While the game itself is decent, its far from perfect. Many people may not be able to tolerate the glaring downsides that go along with the fun.

*Story*
    The game ties into a series on Syfy (check your local listings) by the same name. You play as an ark hunter, wandering mercenaries whose lives revolve around salvaging advanced technology falling from space. Since both the game and the show are fairly new the story is still unfolding. While the world is interesting hopefully more significant events will take place as time goes on.

*Gameplay*
    Defiance plays like a typical TPS, but without a good cover system. This game will undoubtedly be compared to borderlands because of the shoot, loot, repeat play-style but the guns don't seem as impressive or varied as borderlands which is a real disappointment. However having hundreds of other players in the world with you does add a new level to the experience. There are also random skirmishes that break out on the map in real time that players can choose to participate in for better loot and co-op missions that put an emphasis on teamwork. Unfortunately once the main story is done that's all there really is to do. There isn't enough content in the game to keep it interesting for very long, and you'll be playing the storyline over and over hoping to get better loot. The community definitely sees the potential for expansion though and keep coming back for more.

*Presentation*
    I am someone who puts gameplay over graphics, however I realize not everyone is as kind as me. If you're looking for HD eye-candy then Defiance will disappoint the hell out of you. And while the game world is huge much of it seems empty. One could say its because of the post-apocalyptic setting but deep down the game isn't all that great looking. I've also had many disconnects since buying this game as well as noticed some massive audio glitches when lots of action and characters get on screen. I'm able to look passed some of these issues but I can see how this would be a deal breaker for some.

*Summary*
    Defiance is a fresh new face in the MMO world with a different take on the experience. The potential seems limitless for excitement but from what I can see its a bit of a slow start. Hopefully they'll start adding more varied missions, more PVP options, and more gun types. Defiance deserves a chance since its going about things in a way that has never been done before, but only time will tell if the potential is fully realized.
  14. Jun 5, 2013
    I ended up purchasing Defiance on a whim with low expectations as pretty much every other MMO that has released in recent memory has been incredible disappointments. I had played Rift previously so I knew a little of Trion going in. I find that the more I play Defiance the more I like it. I've managed to finish the entirety of the missions with the first of the big DLCs just on the cusp of release.

Since release they have done a passable job as squashing bugs and putting out new content. I think many console players haven't had any experience with other MMOs at launch because Defiance's was comparatively smooth. I've gotten several friends to play and despite a few slight annoyances, we're all enjoying the game immensely. I trust that with Trion's historical responsiveness to their communities that the game will only get better as time goes on.
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    I was so excited about the potential for an MMO on the 360, read everything I could and got caught up in the hype. After the sharp learning curve and first month of technical problems it becomes just a game that makes you repeat the same things you have done a million times. Go there and do this or go there and kill that. The world is bland and lifeless compared to games like GTA even if they are different worlds. You can drive forever in Defiance without seeing much, not that it's even worth seeing. After you play through a couple of Ark Falls and finish the solo story you just lose interest. There isn't enough meat in the game to keep you coming back. Maybe if the world expanded or your leveling was set up in a different fashion. The level system could use some work and perks could be better but works ok as it is. The whole game is ok but had so much more potential.
    The other thing to consider is how are they going to roll into the new console generation? This is an online game through their servers. With the new generation coming are they going to set you up on the new xbox or are you going to have to buy another game since they just signed on for a second season?
  16. May 31, 2013
    I really wanted to like Defiance. When I first started playing it, I thought it was incredible. It didn't take long, however, to see that there was very little substance to the game. Almost everything about it gets repetitive after the first time you do it. It's like Defiance suckers you in with a huge baited hook, but once you're out of the water it just kind of leaves you dangling there, gulping desperately. I really do feel like it had/has a tremendous amount of potential, but it seems like whoever's in charge of making decisions about the game has no idea what people really want in a game like this, and they certainly don't seem to care about fixing anything that needs improvement. The PvP would be laughable if it weren't so frustrating. Some of the weapons are so overpowered that in order to have half a chance at fighting, you have to fight fire with fire and resort to the same things. An example of this is going invisible, sneaking up behind someone, and killing them in one shot without them ever knowing you were near. Another is a grenade launcher that explodes into other little grenades in a huge area effect, leaving anyone standing in a certain area no chance to get out. I'm sure that sounds like I'm just terrible at it and complaining because I get killed so frequently (which I admit I do). Granted, I'm sure with enough practice you can learn to use the same strategies on others and get better at it, but this kind of frenetic over-powered combat is certainly not my cup of tea. To make matters worse, there are numerous bugs in the gameplay (an example is that drivers/gunners of vehicles sometimes inexplicably appear to stand unmoving in the middle of the road, though they are obviously moving and shooting in a vehicle, and when they die for what looks like no reason at all, they see that their killer is halfway across the map. The PvE is fun for a while, and the cooperative maps were great fun the first five times I did them, but I soon found myself growing tired of repetition and predictable AI. Bugs abound in the PvE as well, such as some of your selected skills disappearing constantly from your skillset, which means you have to go in and select them again every time you zone in to a new location. Constant nuisances like this going unfixed since the game came out makes you wonder if the people who made the game ever even played it. The developer is constantly talking about what's to come, and Defiance certainly needs more content, but until they fix what they already have in place it's hard to get excited about the future. Give the game some time and maybe they can tweak it into something lasting, but right now I have my doubts about the longevity of the game. My advice...stay away from it until it cuts its teeth, if it ever does. Expand
  17. May 25, 2013
    As others have done and stated, this game is not a 10 but I scored it as such to offset childish "reviewers"(term used VERY loosely) that have scored this game a 0 or some other super low score. The simple fact that someone gives the game a 0 takes away ANY credibility they may have had, with me. They are not reviewing honestly. IMHO, the game is a solid 8-8.5.
    Before I write my review,
    I will give you a little back ground on myself, as a gamer. As my "tag" clearly states, I am 40 years old. I have quite literally been gaming since Pong, at least 36 years of my life. As a child, I lived at the arcade. When I wasn't gaming at the arcade, I was playing Pong at hone, moved on Atari, Apple II E, Commodore 64, Packard Bell pc100 with 3dfx voodoo video card, the first ever true 3d rendering video card, Had some AMD's a few more PC's, Nintentdo, Nintendo64, Sega CD, Dreamcast, Paystation, X-box, 360. I have literally played thousands of games and enjoy many different genres. I would probably be considered as a long time hardcore gamer, I just consider myself as a lover of the past time.
    Before I bought Defiance, I hopped online, came here to MetaCritic and started reading eviews. I did not pre-order the game. I had considered it but did not know enough about TRION Worlds so waited for release. As I was reading the reviews here, I started to get skeptical about buying this game however, lucky for me, I am no sheep and only read reviews to get an idea of what I might be in for. In the end, I will either rent the game, if I still have doubts or I will decide that the game may warrant a purchase instead of rental. This decision is also based off of a lot of time consuming video footage of any game in question, as well as reading many articles about the game. With Defiance, I was and am absolutely happy that I decided to make the purchase. I had not seen the show prior to purchasing but have since caught every episode.
    There are complaints of the story lacking but these people give no consideration that this game is designed to be played in conjunction with the show. Yes the show is in a different part of the Defiance Earth but still fills in many blanks. I also don't believe that these people put much effort into finding/listening to the data recorders that can be found through out the game. They do quite a good job at answering many questions to the story. The who, what, when, where's and why's. I find the story to be well written and the voice acting was very well done, IMHO.
    There are "episode" missions in the game, from time to time. This is where characters from the show come over to the game world. The same actors/actress' that do the show do the voice acting for their digital likeness'. Just the fact that the game and show crossover, in the manner that they do, is groundbreaking stuff. I, for one, cannot wait to see what else they do with this aspect of the game. So far, I have really enjoyed the episode missions and all other missions in general.
    There are several different mission types in the game. There are Main missions, which are your story line missions, side missions fill in story details, you have "emergencies" which occur all of the time, all through out the world. They usually involve collecting samples, while killing many Hellbugs, rescuing prisoners, while killing many enemies, busting up road blocks and so on. The game is filled with action. You also have time trial missions, hot shots, which are sniper missions and then rampages, where you have to kill as many enemies as possible, before dying. All while staying in a predetermined space in the open world and using a "special" weapon. These are quite fun. Finally, there are the episodic missions and Ark Falls. Episodic missions, as stated above, "star" a character from the show, coming do the game and you run missions for/with them. Ark Falls are the part of the game where you get the huge crowds of players battling various types of enemies, in large numbers.
    Beyond the "story" mode, you have several types of MP modes to choose from. You have Co-op which can be played with 4 players. These are basically the "dungeon" maps of the game. You will fight your way through a more confined area, achieving goals along the way and usually encountering a nice boss fight at the end. I find these to be very fun and a slight change from the vast, open world. As of right now there are 7 Co-op missions to play but they are adding new ones from time to time. You have straight up DM. They only have 3 maps as of now BUT more are coming and they haven't charged for new additions. There is also Shadow Wars which is a HUGE TDM game that is set in the open world of Defiance. There are various missions for the game but mostly control and conquer. This mode is also very fun to play and offers more variety to the world of Defiance.
    Running out of characters so I will sum it up,BUY this game if you want to enjoy a game.
  18. May 25, 2013
    Defiance is a great game especially for the lone player looking to play a fps mmo....i'm very impressed with the initial content and flabbergasted by the constant content and patch updates potentially can be great!
  19. May 12, 2013
    Defiance, the mmo, third person shooter which has been highly anticipated and widely advertised, has finally arrived. At first you create your character and spawn into the vast world of defiance. The game does a great job of getting you used to the controls and everything else. after that, the story really kicks in and you will be able to explore the huge world. From there you will be able to buy weapons, vehicles and much more. You can mod your weapons but i found this system to be a bit shakey, and hard to use. The story isn't all that exciting either with boring and repetitive quests, which involve you holding a button down almost all the time.although the shooting is fluent the hook of you playing isn't. But besides the story, there's mini games you can take part in and multiplayer missions, and of course PVP modes. But one of the biggest additions is the arkfall mode were you and almost everyone else on the map will try to take down huge enemys for Xp and more. In defiance you level up quickly but after your first big weapon and you get past buying your first decent car there isn't much else to do. But thats depending if you like the quests. if you don't its pretty much game over. This can take you up to 15 hours to do. Overall defiance is a good package and you defiantly get your moneys worth. But with so many bugs and issues this game might not be for everybody. Expand
  20. May 9, 2013
    I was excited about getting this game after seeing the trailers and advertisements. I've gotta say though, I'm pretty let down with the game. When you first start off, it's great don't get me wrong. Loads of things to do, plenty of fun to have and really enjoyable but things do go very downhill. My main issue is the end game content. Once you complete the game, there isn't really anything major to do anymore other than replay the story missions, go and complete side quests, player vs player and co op missions. Yeah you can do some arkfalls too but even they get boring after a while. I'm a big fan of MMOs, I like the idea of grinding it out to be rewarded adequately once I've done the job but this game just lacks in that department. Customization is beyond poor too, you don't get many options to customize your character at the start, everyone looks the same and on top of that there aren't many unique or diverse outfits in the game. MMO's thrive on the ability to basically make your character your own and when I'm roaming about I just feel like any other player. I'm not saying I want to be better than others but simply more unique. Quite a few glitches in the game but for an MMO I'll let those slide as patches are done regularly.

Regardless of the lack of content, I will say that the game is a fun third person shooter, uses concepts and ideas from that of other games very well and is an enjoyable experience for a while. The weapon customization is decent but adding levels to weapons is sort of irrelevant as they add no bonuses. Considering this is a no subscription game, it's not bad. It simply lacks in the RPG element and is more or less just an MMO. I'm holding on to my copy to see how it progresses and I'm hoping it gets better over time. Overall? It's worth a try if you like third person shooters but the story isn't the games major selling point. Not bad, not good, just average at best. A first step in the right direction.
  21. May 9, 2013
    After about an hour of Defiance I can say that it's a relatively solid game. Takes a while to install and update. If you're a PC gamer you know this pain all too well. The combat is pretty standard for a 3rd person shooter and the RPG elements seem like they'll help diversify your character enough that you could call him/her your own. I did have some framerate issues and the graphics took a hit because of the scope and size of the game. If you're looking for a action based console MMO, you definitely could get your fix with Defiance. All in all so far its a 7/10. Expand
  22. May 8, 2013
    There is potential here but overall the game is simply average. Although the gameplay can be fun, and most of the time it is, the game is just filled with to many problems for it to be rated higher. The main story to begin with is TERRIBLE, I don't even think it can be called a main story as it is that lacklustre and lazy. There is almost no character development and it becomes hard to understand which characters are actually the important ones. There are no plot twists in the story and you will quickly find yourself not caring at all about what is happening to these characters and the world around you and them (especially with the awful voice acting that has been done in this game). The side missions, like the main story have been rushed and have had little effort put into them. You will find yourself repeating the same types of side mission over and over again until you want to snap the game in half. You will even find yourself in the same areas fro these side missions with the developers copying and pasting certain bases around the map to save some time when making the game. PURE LAZINESS! You will find yourself a few hours in not caring at all about these side missions and will likely start skipping them entirely.

The reason this game does not drop to the depths of a 1 or 2 is because it does have some positives that push back a little on the negatives. Gameplay for one is solid and works brilliantly, the controls are fluent and menu navigation is quick and simple. The wide array of guns, loot, and weapon customisation available to you also gives you a 'Borderlands' like feeling (and that's a good feeling). You will quickly find yourself wanting to find that next weapon that will blow your enemies away even more and your current one. The final positive I am going to mention and perhaps Defiance's strongest point is its multiplayer. Like almost every competitive multiplayer game, Defiance introduces a 6v6 and 8v8 versus mode, however this is not want I want to focus on and neither will you if you buy the game. It is instead Defiance's 'Shadow War's' that will make you want to play this game online. This is a 32 vs. 32 battleground mode that has hours of fun embedded into it with 64 people battling it out to capture points and shoot the living hell out of each other with guns that they have picked up from the open world. Defiance also offers co-op missions for 2-4 players but really this just feels like padding with levels pretty boring and having some cool bosses at the end of them.

Although the game did have potential, especially being one of the few MMO's on the Xbox360, it unfortunately falls short of my expectations and has to many things holding it back from being a great MMO. Although there are positives that have been mentioned above, the negatives far outweigh these (and those were just the main negatives not mentioning how buggy and laggy the game can be at times). I hope that Defiance shows game developers that MMO's can be made on the Xbox and that better ones will be produced for the new upcoming Xbox Infinity. Unfortunately though, Defiance is just an average game.
  23. May 6, 2013
    I thought about giving this an 8 or 9 but the reviews are so low that it needs a pick up. People are pushing others away from this game because of the bad reviews, yet this is a great game. When it was first released it had quite a few glitches yes, but its an MMO that is going to happen every time. Don't let these other people's bad reviews put you off on a rare experience. This game is a solid 8-8.5, the only thing that really takes it down is the salvage matrix(its the way you mod your weapons) its a little quirky and could use some adjustments. The great thing is, being an MMO that can be changed because of it being server based. Give this game a chance yourself and don't go in expecting WoW, or Skyrim. The story is really good and the customization are good and plan to get better. Rent it and give it a try. Oh, and there's no monthly fee. Only micro-transactions. And those are stuff thats not necessary or going to make the game bad if you don't spend money. But the micro-transaction are there if you choose to spend some money on your character. Good way of funding the server maintenance without charging a fee. Expand
  24. May 4, 2013
    it is a very interesting idea to have a game effect the effects of a TV show but when the games DOES NOT WORK there is no point in playing the game to begin with
  25. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Defiance Review Xbox 360 for more reviews check out http://ninjadojogamereviews.blogspot.com/ )
    Defiance is Trion entertainment's epic third person shooter MMO, that takes place is the Post Apocalyptic future. Defiance is a game the plays along with the TV series on the SYFY channel. Events that occurs within the show affect the game and vise versa. There are two main civilizations that make up the game being the humans and the Votans. The Votans are a humanoid civilization similar to the look of human beings with prominent features in the face. The humans make up the majority of the Earth Republic, and while both humans and Votans can enlist together, there is a dislike for the Votans race. In game you take the role as an Ark Hunter. As an Ark Hunter, your job is to seek out Arktech. The Ark Hunter acts like a soldier of fortune. The Arks were ships designed by the Indogene, which is a race of Votan. These Arks contained the Votan race and brought them to earth, via cryosleep. There was a great explosion killing many of the Indogene and causing Arkfalls. These Arkfalls are responsible for the human mutants and Hellbug infestation.

Graphics: The game is not a graphical achievement, but buy no means is this an ugly game. Environmental textures and design is really where the game succeeds. The environments remind me of a Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 combined into one beautiful world. I love seeing the mix of urban, alien, and nature thrown together. Texture models are decent, but not highly polished. Compared to other games, characters look pretty rough, The roughness is do to the lack of detailed textures of the faces and bodies. There are no rough edges or pixel blocks, but the subtle details that make your character look real are missing. There is some texture loading issues, but recent patching has helped with the issue. Glitches are sometimes present, but have been addressed with patching.

Controls: Controls are very simple. The game plays very similar to the Call Of Duty control scheme. The controls should feel very familiar with most gamers.

Audio: In game music is top notch, combined with decent voice acting. Still do not understand why people use curse words in game just to make it seem cooler,

Gameplay: The game is a third person shooter MMO. The game consist of both PVE and PVP game modes. PVE consists of story missions and side quests like in any MMO. Story quest are broken up with cinematics and dialogue leading the character into the next area and quest. Story quests are broken up by various dialogue and cinematic pieces which flow well. There are many side quests within the game if you do not feel like doing the main quest. These quest help your leveling and your chances of getting better gear. The overall story of the game shows a lot of potential especially with the tv show aspect. Missions can be run with groups of four players, or you can run it solo. You can assist people with their missions Guild Wars 2 style and not even be grouped with them. Doing this will still get you XP and Loot. The world is always evolving and other players will affect your questing both good and bad. The Arkfalls provide a fun alternative to the main story and tend to be great ways to gain new gear and XP. Arkfalls will be indicated on the screen by a red marker. Do not be surprised to see many people attacking the Arkfalls and their defenders. Arkfalls should be attempted with a group, but some easier ones can be taken down single player, but it will be a challenge. PVP is an interesting concept and can be split into two types. Traditional PVP places you in a typical shooter multiplayer mode. Two teams fight to the death on random maps. There is another aspect of PVP called Shadow Wars. Shadow Wars can be up to 128 people fighting it out on teams of sixty four players each. The game will let you know that you are in the vicinity if a Shadow War and will allow you to jump in. This game mode is territory control, but uses the map area that you are currently in as the battle arena instead of going to a pre created team deathmatch area. Many people are currently playing PVP more than PVE. The upgrade system and weapon system is very deep, allowing for different mod types and abilities to suit your style. PvP reminds me a little bit of Planet Side 2. Character looks and outfits are customizable, and can be purchased via in-game or through micro transactions. Currently there is no cross platforming, but the game has been set up for it.

Overall: The game is solid and brings a lot of things to the table. With the rough start in terms if patching, the game is getting smoother. While not perfect the game does deserve praise. The cross platform ability would give this game a huge jump in the right direction.
  26. Apr 29, 2013
    With the amount of fun I've been having with it, it amazes me it has been getting such low scores. The gun play is amazingly fun, I was on the edge before I played it but I am glad I did. Its a MMO without really being a mmo. Its more like a always online borderlands where everyone else is playing too.
  27. Apr 29, 2013
    Was excited for this, but Trion has really dropped the ball. Buggy game, poor design, and not implemented well.

Unable to play with friends in the EU region, Trion help desk has NO idea about actually providing service on consoles giving incorrect data and just being useless. If you are going to sell a game to a new segment, make sure your game is top notch, and make sure your service
    department actually knows what they are talking about.

Other glitches characters and fixed items jumping all over the place when moving, coop missions need more work, longer, harder, requiring more teamwork...

I have played MMO's for over 20 years, this has been the most frustrating one have played, would rather be back playing an old text based MUD than this POS.
  28. Apr 27, 2013
    this game is a huge disappointment i hated how buggy the game was and the story was boring and the side missions where so annoying and repetitive the enemys where over powered and the the arkfalls taken too long to kill
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    You can find the full review http://alloyseven.com/channels/game/item/125-defi-review and the video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SKj9CnrRHk Keep in mind that I don't believe in scoring games and do so here only because metacritic requires it. This '5' is very much subject to change since the developers may add content and fixes that address the issues I point out in the review )

I had a hard time bottom-lining Defiance mostly because I enjoyed and hated the experience almost equally. For every concept I felt Trion Worlds got right, they missed somewhere else. Suffice it to say that Defiance is an average MMO with the potential to be slightly above average if the developers commit to fixing bugs and annoyances and adding better content in the future.

With that said, let's jump into the category breakdowns.

Action Junkies Defiance's best quality is its gunplay. It's fast paced, chaotic and mostly accurate. You'll spend most of your in-game time killing bad guys when you are not fetching items or unlocking terminals, so it's nice that Trion Worlds got this part right.

However the gunplay is encumbered by grossly repetitive mission structures, the same horrible enemy spawning found in games like Borderlands and Call of Duty and a burdensome interface that makes switching between more than 2 weapons mid-combat a serious pain.

On top of this, you have to keep in mind that this game is an MMO. MMOs thrive on keeping the game challenging for 100s of hours. So don't plan on finding or being rewarded with any shields, weapons or grenades the are ultimately devistating. This was my biggest point of contention with the action. The weapons I used during the final hours of the game were a rare sniper rifle I got from a friend early in the game and the Rifle that Nolan gave me in the TV Mission. You will not feel like a badass by the end of the main campaign unless you are lucky enough to win the lotto via the rare item drop boxes throughout the game or know some friends that can hook you up with some sweet gear.

Bookworms If you are primarily a bookworm, don't bother with this game. The story, characters and dialog are supremely corny and uninteresting. To make matters worse, the clumsy narrative also hinders you from feeling any sense of purpose for your actions. This is yet another shooter you can throw on the pile that boils down to mindless killing with no real sense of weight tied to your actions

Explorers will be treated to a vast open world--one that gives you no incentives to explore it unless you're an action junkie looking for gun fights. How can you have wide-open terrain with nooks, crannies and buildings just begging to be searched and not reward the player for venturing out by allowing us to find rare loot?

Strategists may love and hate Defiance. I found so many combat situations that were just begging for me to sneak in from the high ground as a sniper and rain down destruction before eventually assaulting across the objective to clean up stragglers. But for as many of these situations as I found, I found at least two other missions that made me deactivate generators while trying to dodge enemy fire from spawning enemies. Not to mention the plethora of missions that make you defend a uplink station while 200 bad guys spawn out of nowhere and descend upon your location. Defiance is truly a mixed bag when it comes to strategy. Sometimes you'll love it, other times you'll hate it. Unfortunately for me, the love sequences were few and far between.

Builders This was the second area where I felt like Defiance let me down. I bought Defiance hoping that it would scratch the itch I felt like Borderlands 2 couldn't. I'm specifically talking about giving me a more fleshed-out character development and customization system. Defiance did deliver this, but then squelched it with leveling that takes too long and limiting the amount of passive and active skills I could use at any given time.

But again, this is an MMO. If you enjoy MMOs, you probably won't gripe about this as much as I did because you'll be willing and really used to investing 100s of hours to get your character up-to-par. I'm a bit more impatient than the average MMO player, so take my criticism here with a grain of salt.

Collaborators As an MMO, expect Defiance to be more fun with friends. But honestly, unless you have a group of friends who are planning to play this game with you, don't expect to link up with too many people while playing online. From my experience, most of the people in-game are focused on the ark fall events that get old after you've done five or so. For an MMO, it feels more like a single-player adventure.

....
  30. Apr 26, 2013
    I had high hopes for this game as new scifi IP's are few and rare so i really was hoping to be good. I ignored my gut feeling that it was going to be just another lazy mmo, i ignored my glitchy beta, and bought it anyways. Turns out i was right and wasted my money and hopefully you will learn from my mistake. After a 4 hour initial wait time to play, after horribly long install, day one patchs, and server issues galore, getting to actually play this game was almost as much of chore as actually playing it. Its just so boring and repetitive. The first week had such poor server support that playing it was near impossible for anyone with a normal schedule. i realize it is an MMO which is what everyone kept saying but still, that is no excuse, MMO's are not new they can do it so people can play the game they paid for. As well, video games have been around awhile too so they dont have to be boring glitchy lazy cash in liscense games. Sad dissappointment, save your money. Expand
  31. Apr 25, 2013
    Made an account just to warn people. I've played 55 hours of this game. The first few hours were fun, but it got boring fast after I realized every mission is nothing but shooting waves of the same unintelligent enemies and pressing 'x' on whatever objective. There are many frustrating glitches, most notably for co-op, where boss enemies wouldn't spawn, or a door to the next area wouldn't open, making it impossible to complete the mission. The multiplayer to this game is unbalanced and laggy, and there are only two maps to choose from for team deathmatch. Hardly anybody communicates in this game, making it feel very lonely for an MMO. The main quest and all the side missions can be finished within a few days, leaving very little to do after that. The arkfalls were fun at first, but really they're nothing more than emptying clip after clip into bullet-sponge enemies. The game becomes so repetitive that I space out. I'm an achievement addict, and that's the only reason I put 55 hours into Defiance. Do yourself a favor, and buy a game that is less soul-draining. I plan on selling my copy as soon as I can. Expand
  32. Apr 25, 2013
    I think this game is a great game, there is a few glitches but it is a lot of fun and totally worth your money it is a little less social than games like WoW.
  33. Apr 25, 2013
    When I first saw this game I was very skeptical about it. Of course, it looked like a Borderlands clone to me but when I actually sat down and played it; I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay even with it's glitches. I mean it's Xboxs first mmo in a long time and to top it off Trion has been very responsive to customers which this is a rarity to me.
  34. Apr 25, 2013
    This game sucks. With terrible voice acting and a boring gameplay there is no fun. You run to a certain point shoot the same enemies and hold x on a stupid box. Do not buy this dumb TV show based game. Strong guns become as weak as starter guns at certain areas while playing with friends. Bad Game
  35. Apr 22, 2013
    First off: I bought this game about a week after it came out so I think I missed the worst of the server issues. In my time with the game it has run just fine with a little lag here and there but nothing too severe. I bought the game aware of the fact that it had a lot of issues but I was curious about the prospect of a MMO on the 360.
    Since I've started playing I've been continually
    surprised at how much I like the game, in fact it's quickly climbed the ranks to be one of my favorite 360 games. The gameplay mechanics are somewhat similar to Gears of War in that it's a 3rd person shooter that allows you to zoom in and aim with the left trigger, but I actually like the controls better because it ditches the annoying cover system and instead simply allows you to duck by hitting B. Nor does it have the "roadie run" but you sprint by pressing down the left stick. It's very intuitive and controls a lot like a first person shooter such as Black Ops.
    I don't get why people are hating on the graphics, which are not in the league of Rage or Crysis but I would say they aren't much worse than FarCry 3. The world is not nearly as bland as some of these reviews would have you believe. The enemies and loot system are similar to Borderlands in many ways. I've had fun roaming the open world and occasionally cooperating with other players who just happened to be nearby. It good to have some of your friends to play with, as trying to group up with strangers is a little tricky. The plot is not brilliant but it doesn't get in the way either.
    Don't get me wrong, Defiance is far from perfect, but I've had a ton of fun with it and it seems to be getting better and less glitchy every day. If you're looking for a neat open world shooter/RPG that just happens to be an MMO too, I highly recommend it. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth out of it and I plan to play much, much more.
    -edit: The biggest flaw I've found with this game is that when too much is going on on screen the frame rate can bog down, and also there are some occasional glitches, such as entering an instance where there are no enemies and you get stuck and have to back out. Regardless, I think this is an entertaining game that deserves a chance. I'd also like to point out that I think the reason that a lot of "professional" critics are panning this game is because they have access to high dollar PCs that can run other MMOs, where as the actual Xbox 360 players are willing to cut it some slack for being on console, which is quite rare. If you are a gamer who mainly plays on consoles you wil respect what this game does more than folks who are spoiled by high-end PCs.
  36. Apr 21, 2013
    Defiance has its flaws but does a lot of things right. I have been playing since beta and find the game to be a good time. It does have its flaws but Trion does seem to be working to get everything cleaned up and communicates with it playerbase constantly. The size of the game is impressive and with the dlc that will be coming out Im sure the playable area will get even bigger.
  37. Apr 19, 2013
    This game is not perfect but if you have at least 1 friend to play with you will have a lot of fun and you will find a really good coop game in here try it out, the 10 is because of the bad reviews, but this game is an easy 8.5, the bugs sooner or later will disappear.
  38. Apr 19, 2013
    I'm not sure what's wrong with people, or what they're expecting out of a game, but Defiance is one of the best games I've played in recent history. I'm assuming a lot or people bought it thinking that it was some typical third person shooter where you blast baddies in narrow corridors. Well it's not. It's a fully fleshed out open-world third person MMO. Not only is it a great companion to the TV show of the same name, but it does a great job establishing itself as it's own entity.

If you've enjoyed any sci-fi game in the last 10 years, this game has hallmarks from all the best. Halo, Borderlands, Mass Effect, Fuel, it's all there for you enjoy albeit sometimes it's very clearly blatantly emulated from the source. Like Fuel, the game contains a huge map that sometimes takes forever to traverse. Which is why I'm assuming they give you a vehicle within the first few minutes of the game. It works out though and a long drive is never boring because events happen along the way. And to be honest, after a week, I've still only enjoyed half of the map, I haven't even bothered to head east yet.

I can't count how many times I've been cruising from one objective to the next only to be confronted with the pop-up option to save some farmer from mutants, or rescue a group of people from a hellbug infestation or even see a large number of people fighting an army of hellbugs in of the games many random events. Like Rift, Trion Worlds added many random events to the roster in this game, and they allow people(who would otherwise go about their business alone) to come together to accomplish an objective. I can't count how many people I've had the opportunity to join up with after a large battle.

It's not all roses and sunshine though. As a console player there are natural limitations to my tech and so far the elephant in the room is framerate. The ONLY time I've had issue with it however is when large numbers of people are fighting groups of hellbugs and to be honest it's hardly noticeable. The game did crash on me once though because of it. The menu system is a little clunky and could use some refining and streamlining as well. For instance, if I were to mod a weapon, I have to enter a separate menu within my menu instead of having it as an option on the character/inventory screen. Also, the menu system for the social portion of the game is confusing and could use some reorganizing, possibly even instead being turned into a full screen overlay in order to navigate it better. There are hardly any issues at this point as the dev team has eradicated a huge amount of launch problems already and the game runs as smooth as any other.

Another console problem is cooperation. Console players haven't been adorned with a great deal of co-op games and it shows here because people are lone-wolfing like crazy. While I've been lucky enough to team up with a few people occassionally, a majority of my time has been spent in solitude. Perhaps it's because I'm lower level and things haven't progressed enough or maybe people really are that stupid. It's best played with friends and I have a few that will be getting the game soon and will be able to enjoy it with me.

Sadly there is no cross-platform play but if you're looking for a great MMO on console(especially the 360) Defiance is one of the few and best options out there. Other than DC Universe on the PS3 there isn't another console MMO that I've enjoyed this much. With plenty of content planned for the future I plan on enjoying it for a long time.

If you need someone to fight alongside find me on XBL, Gamertag: Dude Largepants.
  39. Apr 17, 2013
    it's too bad reviewers couldn't have spent even longer with the game before submitting their opinions, because it's clear that a lot of them missed the depth of the combat that comes from unlocking more perks and mods for your weapons. combine this with multiple loadouts for different situations and you literally feel like a badass rolling around, say, marin while you blast hellbugs and raiders. this games is definitely not a 10 in execution yet, but the bones are there for the type of game i literally have been waiting for. if you liked borderlands, chances are you'll find something to like about definance. personally, i loved borderlands but really am still not a fan of the art style (that's just me). that said, definace comes across as a more plausible scenario than borderlands, so if you're into that sort of thing then it has the potential to be more satisfying.

defiance certainly has its shortcomings, but i'm a total fan and i'm having a blast. i can't wait to see what they do with the dlc. check my reviews, i've been here for a while and i'm certainly not trion (god i wish i had their money). i just really see some awesome things about this game and it's too bad the pro reviewers couldn't see past the growing pains of the first week or two of this game's existence.
  40. Apr 17, 2013
    I believe this has potential. Everyone seems to be placing the fate of this in the hands of the developers but it will live or die by how the players interact together. This is the same with any MMO. My experience is that I neither dislike nor greatly enjoy this game. Somehow I get sucked down the rabbit hole and can't stop playing once I start but when I am finished I am not compelled to get back to it anytime soon. For a CO-OP game, there seems to be just individuals that neither help nor hinder what you are doing and no one talks, only emotes the few audio sounds that your character can say. For future quests you will have to pay for downloads. The quests, so far, are repetative and the enemy/NPCfriendlies will leave you wishing that they were smarter. There are aspects to your character and weapons that I have absolutely no clue to what they do or how they work. It seems that if you have any questions or problems that you have to go to the forums. Expand
  41. Apr 17, 2013
    One of the ugliest games I've ever seen on the Xbox 360. Even the cut-scenes do stutter. Furthermore it is an epic fail on the mmo-side. No dynamic voice chat to replace the loss of the chat dialog. I mean typing with the Gamepad seriously? The AI is non existent. NPCs behave very dumb. Quests have no interesting quality and the game is a boring overall experience. It feels like a game from 10 years ago with huge design mistakes. Expand
  42. Apr 17, 2013
    I have long been a fan of 3rd person shooters, mmorpgs, and science fiction stories .It only made sense to try defiance. After all the patching and downloading was done I started my adventure ,minutes became hours, hours became nights, I found myself eagerly anticipating coming home from work to play again .I've been playing so much I had not taken the time to go online and see what other people thought of the game. When I did I was shocked, reviews are opinions and every ones are different. That being said I have put over 30 hours into this game and I am having a blast! Expand
  43. Apr 17, 2013
    I am sorry to disagree on most bad reviews this game is getting. I gave a 10 just to keep up with the pathetic ZEROS. This game has been the most fun I've had in quite some time with some friends and it keeps getting better. They are fixing the game even more now and after the patch it got smoother and better. My real score would be about 8 because it doesnt have the best graphics in the world and at first glance may seem like a simple shooter but there really isnt anything like this on the Xbox 360 and its tremendous fun! So much stuff to do, love it! Expand
  44. Apr 16, 2013
    Defiance is not a great game. I went into it skeptically as I found the cover art pathetic. Once I started playing I enjoyed the first hour but it seemed to get pretty repetitive and for an MMO, that can't happen that early. It's not a great game, but it's not horrible either.
  45. Apr 16, 2013
    Not a 10 for reasons including graphics and story, but the game is amazing. An MMO that works and is patched daily is perfect for the Xbox. I was VERY skeptical about this game at first but I bought it and haven't regretted it one bit. Buy the game. You will not regret it.
  46. Apr 15, 2013
    this type of game is the new face of mmo's on console (mmofps/mmo3ps), Defiance is the 3rd person version and Destiny will be the fps equivalent when it comes out. this game feels like a 3rd person shooter on par with Fallout3, RedDeadRedemption, 3rd person version of borderlands but is played with 1,000's of other players. the game has you chasing Arkfalls in pve (player vs environment) with all your friends, and it has you playing against upwards to 64v64 in pvp (player vs player) in shadow wars. this game no doubt has its issues, but so does every mmo when it first launches. its a good game, that should be played by anyone that likes to play co-op, pvp, or roaming around open world environments in a 3rd person shooter. Expand
  47. Apr 15, 2013
    Defiance really served on pretty much everything- Good graphics, good gameplay, good music, it's all just so easy to love. I'm already wishing they would make a Defiance 2....
  48. Apr 15, 2013
    I have been following this game for about 6 weeks before launch. The concept sounded interesting and the planning behind everything had me hopeful at a successful launch for both the TV show and game.

After launch, I waited about 1 1/2 weeks checking in frequently with the developers website to see how the launch was going. From the looks of it, the launch was rough on the 360. To be
    fair, from what I can tell, this launch seems smoother than other MMO's and the developer seemed fairly quick to own up to their mistakes and quickly fix them.

After I purchased the game, I had about a 1 hour install while the game loaded from the disk and then downloaded the patches. Not to bad and it gave me time to go to the site and create an account as well as enter the Ark Codes...there's 120 of them, so I needed some time.

Once I got into the game, it was fairly quick and painless to create a character and jump in. The tutorial did a good job of teaching how to use most of the systems, but did not touch on how to quick travel or what lock boxes are. So..to get in the game and shoot things, easy. To learn how some of the various systems interact with each other...hit up your search engine of choice because it's not clearly explained.

The graphics seem on par with other 360 titles, so no major complaint there. I am concerned whether or not this game will play nicely with next gen consoles though.

I have had some minor bugs, but nothing game breaking. The most annoying one was when I kept getting killed when standing under a bridge with nothing around and no line of sight to anything but either dirt or concrete (I was exploring). After I evacuated, I kept getting shot with no one around. Eventually I just logged out and back in. After that everything went smooth. I am a little confused about the complaints with bugs glitches. Sad to say, but don't most games that ship today come with bugs out of the box only to be patched within a day or two of launch? Sad but true.

So far I've played the game about 10 hours. Through that time I have had missions where I was desperately out numbered and needed help when a random stranger would wonder by and help. Those moments were a god send. However, I've also had the opposite where I'm fighting for my life and people drive by. I'd say that is about par for an online game and isn't something the developers can really fix.
  49. Apr 15, 2013
    I am having a lot of fun with this game for the 360! It is a fresh idea to be in sync with the show from the beginning. I am looking forward on seeing how the episodes correlate with
    The missions! I always enjoy back stories and Easter eggs in movies. This game helps with the Emerson into the defiance universe!

Few bugs but trion and devs are working hard at addressing issue! Keep up
    the great work. I also enjoy the events occurring regularly! Expand
  50. Apr 14, 2013
    Guys, don't listen to those angry and upset fan boys who give the game a 0 or negative rating, read this review and hopefully it convinces you! Defiance is a very good game, I've decided to review this game simply because it keeps me playing and I want people to join in! When I started the game up it was slow and I thought it was going to be a waste of money. However, after the tutorial which is incredibly bad things started and the pace of the game definitely changed. 10 minutes later, I was battling huge monsters with loads of other people, and the rewards from these 'Arkfalls' improve as you level up your EGO rating. And, not forgetting the joy it brings when you see your name on the top of the leader boards. All games have their faults, this game definitely does. Connection issues appeared started within the first hour or two and it made me so angry! But this did sort itself out after a few hours and I haven't disconnected since.Other faults would be the extremely repetitive side quests, all you have to do is hold X for most parts. Yet, this fault didn't matter to me, I couldn't wait to finish all the side quests and main missions to get ready for Season Two.......... but wait, there's more? Yes, there is more! You have co-op maps, with bosses that are intermediate to extremely hard and require TEAMWORK to complete! Social aspects such as clans and groups to finish quests. Shadow Wars, where you can practically queue up for one or just randomly walk into one without realising, I would in a way consider a random event. And there are also separate competitive maps, Waterfront with 6 v 6 and Observatory with 8 v 8. Alongside all these aspects and more are challenges that they expect you to complete, in which will finish off the first season. What you guys might not know, is that as the TV series expands, so will the game. For example, when season two of Defiance comes along on TV, it will on Xbox 360 and other platforms as well and hopefully expanding the map! Adding onto the map, there is varied terrain which keeps you away from the lack luster experience that you would find in most MMO-RPGs that consist of the same terrain over and over again. There are 5 or 6 different factions and a variety of weapons that will keep you looking in the supply store for more. There are also many different vehicles to choose from, each with unique speed, durability etc. Overall, I would highly recommend this game to anyone because its a fairly good game in some place, faulty in others but definitely outstanding in conclusion!

Melson97
  51. Apr 13, 2013
    Defiance isn't bad neither is it particularly good. This is the best way that I can sum up this game. I wanted to enjoy this game but it just didn't do enough to keep me wanting to stick around.

To start, the lack of choices when it comes to choosing your race was disappointing. It would seem that the game lore has the potential to have more races be available but you are limited to
    only two when you create your character. Furthermore, your origin story that you choose means absolutely nothing beyond the outfit and gun type that you start with. During cutscenes, characters show the bare minimum of emotion and lip syncing is poor at best. I also experiencing a fair amount of screen tearing during cutscenes but nothing overly intrusive. The game world from a graphical standpoint looks generic and underwhelming and low resolution textures are everywhere. I don't want to say that graphics are the highest priority, but coming off of recent releases that push the Xbox 360 to its limits, Defiance is severely lacking in this department. I understand that given the scale and amount of rendering that is needed, this becomes difficult to achieve but I personally felt it took me out of the experience. Technical issues become more apparent the more you play. On several occasions I noticed large amounts of lag even doing something as simple as opening up my character's inventory. In some cases, other player's armor would render properly from a distance but up close the game would make all surrounding characters look the same. Sound will also cut out frequently during large engagements such as the events known as "Arkfalls".

Arkfalls are usually multi-stage events within the game world that players can participate in to gain loot and currency. However, as a result of the game scaling the difficulty as a result of more players being around, these Arkfall events end up turning into 50+ players holding down the trigger devoid of any real skill. The AI is also very unsupportive during missions and will typically leave you bleeding out waiting to be revived or end up crawling around the environment themselves after contributing nothing to the battle at hand. Side missions typically fall under the fetch quest motif and add nothing substantial to the story while growing increasingly repetitive. The world itself also fairly uninteresting to explore due in my part to the poor graphics but the game does insist on placing audio logs in the rubble of random buildings should you wish to learn more about the lore of the game.

Overall, my opinion of the game is generally negative but at the same time I can't at least give some credit to the Trion for attempting to take on the task of bringing an MMO to the consoles. Defiance had so much potential but falls short of solid execution. I also haven't mentioned the other aspects of the game such as co-op missions and PvP. The former are similar to the co-op style missions in Red Dead Redemption and the latter are Team Deathmatch style similar to what you might see in Gears of War/Tomb Raider etc.
  52. Apr 12, 2013
    I've never been a fan of MMO's on a console before. Then out comes Defiance. I really enjoy this game. The plot is awesome, the story line flows very well, the game is fun to play and I love the tie into to the TV Series.
  53. Apr 12, 2013
    Although some side missions can become repetitive, the game itself is awesome. Co-op can alleviate this easily. The world itself had amazing fiction and the voice acting is on cue! Bugs and glitches do happen but these are now slowly fading away with Trion Worlds' almost daily patches and updates. Community members are never left in the dark as devs are constantly communicating with players. Give the game a try! Anyone who plays it soon finds themselves immersed in the gameplay, the satisfying fire fights and the amazing coop feel. More arkfalls are to become less mundane as the show and the season roll out. I am hooked!!! Expand
  54. Apr 12, 2013
    The game is pretty bland the graphics are like from 2005. and where is the loot the outfits are just skins with no properties. I mean If I play an MMO I want to feel rewarded. it's like a newb can be as good as a person who sunk 400 hours in the game I mean what the hell is the point of playing. If I'm putting alot of hours into a game i want to feel rewarded. and the quest get extremly repetitive. Expand
  55. Apr 12, 2013
    I don't usually write reviews for video games on public sites (I think I have like, two here or something), but I felt that Defiance is the kind of game that needs some defenders. Or maybe not so much defenders, but people who have actually played the game for more than 1 hour and then go trash it on the internet giving people a skewed view of the game. Personally, I think the game is a lot of fun, but I figured it would be good to give a balanced opinion about it to people out there seriously considering buying it. I won't go into the basics as I'll assume you know what the game is and the basics of how it plays, there are videos all over the place, but by now many of them are outdated due to features and fixes that have already been added in patches. Let me address some of the common complaints:
    1. "The game has bugs/issues/server problems." This is somewhat true, but I have never played another game in my entire life where the problems have been so frequently addressed and dealt with. The game is improving continuously and the developers have a very honest, open relationship with the players which is a far cry from most companies nowadays who basically just have a "DEAL WITH IT, PEONS" attitude towards their customers.

2. "There's not enough loot!" While the game shares many mechanical similarities with Borderlands, this is not some loot-fest game where you are constantly finding dozens of guns and crap everywhere. Loot is not sparse, but it also isn't just handed out like candy, and seriously, who wants to play a game where 95% of the loot is crap anyway that you just have to sort through?

3. "The Graphics SUCK!" No, Defiance doesn't look like Skyrim or Bioshock infinite. This is because it needs to stream properly and load properly and handle a massive amount of players at once, so the graphics are good and serviceable, but not mindblowing. Graphics obsessed people will probably be disappointed. If this is the only reason you play games, you probably shouldn't be playing games. As for the world being "bland", it's no more different than any other game on the market right now set in an urban ruin. It's forests, swamps, and ruined buildings. It works for what is.

4. "Your weapons don't get stronger and you don't level up." You don't "level up" in Defiance, but you do earn skill points (Ego) which are pretty crucial to how you develop your character. You also earn "Ego Power" which effectively increases many things about your character. As for the weapons, to say your weapons don't get stronger is technically true, but you earn exp. levels based on weapon proficiency and also mods which can make a dramatic difference to a weapon. But, most of these slow-witted Call of Duty types complaining about the weapons fail to notice that the strength of the weapon is not as important overall as its functionality and how you use it tactically. Another option is...buy a better weapon, smart guys.

5. "IT TAKES SO LONG TO PATCH!" It's true that this game takes nearly 2 hours to fully install and patch. This is unfortunate, but if you're giving the entire game a 0 because of the technical aspect of it being patched to fix problems, you are functionally retarded.

6. "IT TAKES TOO LONG TO CHASE DOWN ARKFALLS!!" If an Arkfall is so far away from you that you literally have to spend 15-20 minutes traversing the map, then gee..maybe you should just wait for an Arkfall in your area. Arkfalls are easily one of the most awesome parts of the game and yes you ARE rewarded for participating. No, you don't get tons of useless loot, but rather in-game currency and Ego Power which is WAY WAY more useful for improving your character. And, no, Arkfalls are not a DPS circle jerk. This is not WoW. Everyone who participates gets something appropriate to their level and there's no reason not to help out fellow players.

7. "The skills have no depth!" If the skill system in Defiance has no depth, than no video game currently on the market has any depth at all.

8. "The story is terrible!" The storyline is not great, I will admit. And the overall writing and presentation is pretty juvenile, but it functions for what it is. This isn't supposed to be some deep, involving RPG...it's a balls-out action game. The story serves the setting.

9. "You have to spend real money to get good equipment." Absolute BS. You can pay real money for random chests, but like all games with this scheme, it's usually better to just use what you have in-game rather than pay money for stuff you might never use. Also, the Ark Hunter code system on the Defiance website will give you more than enough starting bonuses to make any low level character happier.

10. "There's nothing to do!" If you are playing this game and missing the missions and the random events, then you are playing it wrong.
  56. Apr 12, 2013
    Will be a hit or miss. The PC version is much better than the console versions with much less hiccups or lag. Either you're one of the unfortunate few who buy a $60 game only to be unable to download it, have the patcher work properly, be disconnected frequently, download up to 90% only to have a patcher error continuously. OR you're part of the group that have played it seamlessly without any errors. It's a roll of the dice to be honest, and I dont think this average shooter and outdated graphic-wise game deserves that gamble. Expand
  57. Apr 12, 2013
    Very fun game that you can lose hours in, just exploring the world. The characters aren't phenomenal and there are a few in-game issues that need to be ironed out by Trion Worlds, but people need to realize that therre can be up to 10,000+ occupying the game at any given time. The graphics aren't the greatest, and there are a few things that can't be fixed (voice acting and some confusing plot developments) but the pros far outweigh the cons. Ark falls, randomly occurring events that sometimes involve upwards of a couple hundred players at once, are one of the most fun and engaging experiences I've had on this generation of consoles in terms of cooperative play, and with the things Trion has planned with its season pass for the game, it will only get better. Expand
  58. Apr 11, 2013
    I made an account on metacritic just so I could explain to anyone reading this how amazing I find this game. Coming from games like Call of Duty and Halo, I needed something different. This game was it. The world is HUGE! I have a lot of fun just exploring it! Like today I traveled all the way to San Fransisco only to have the Dark Matter Monolith, which was interesting to see, destroy me in one shot. Other than some lag here and there, I haven't had any problem with the MMO. The concept is really interesting. The game itself is a blast. To add on to that, the show is going to coincide with it! How awesome does that sound! I know any problems with this game will be patched in the future, so I'm not worried about the small, graphic problems right now. Expand
  59. Apr 11, 2013
    Defiance is a very fun game. I have played many, many MMOs over the last 15 years and this is a step in the right direction. This is a fantastic blend of 3rd person shooting action with the quest and customization feel of an RPG. The controls are tight and the combat is fun. The graphics do leave a bit to be desired, but they don't hurt the game at all in my opinion. This game is for sure worth a buy if you enjoy MMOs and sci-fi shooters. I am very interested to see how it works with the TV show. Expand
  60. Apr 11, 2013
    So far I am loving this game. Yes, it has bugs, Yes, the graphics are a bit watered down (on Xbox at least), and Yes, this is going to be different than most anticipate. This is in fact a MMO. Something that the consoles have been missing for a very long time. I have played many MMO's in my time. I even beta tested WOW. Every new game, especially MMO type games have bugs, server problems, etc. You need to give it a chance to be out for a while, allow people to report bugs, and give the game some leniency. Graphics are actually better than I thought being a MMO on a console. You must remember, there is a 6 yr old console here trying to handle millions of things at once. A MMO has way more things going on in the background than most any other game. I truly believe that this game will only get better. I have only put about 5 hrs into it, but I am impressed. Shooting mechanics are great, acting seems good, and story is still to early to tell. I truly believe that this is definitely worth price at retail. Get it and see for yourself. Expand
  61. Apr 10, 2013
    Defiance.
    Externally, another generic self claimed sci fi "Epic,"
    Internally, a broken, boring game.
    Where to start? Crappy visuals, TERRIBLE voice acting, and it seemed like a total borderlands rip-off, but a mmo spin thrown in. The characters were anti thought provoking unoriginal piles of goat vomit, and I'm just getting more and more turned off by sic fi games as time goes on, but
    this just pushes me off the edge and gives me no more hope. Triton worlds, you should be ashamed of your lack of effort, nothing was seamless, I can't even think of something positive to say, other than that the expressionless, droll characters made me laugh. (Not for their comedic value, but for their stupidity The monsters were O K though, but nice again, they didn't seem original. Expand
  62. Apr 10, 2013
    Although there are many issues right out of the gate, lets not forget what Trion has accomplished in this Original title. For many that are unaware of the complications of MMO's, there will be negative feedback at first, but World of Warcraft and Guild Wars and such were not created overnight. Games like this require patching to find and eliminate bugs that occur through trial and error, and thats what is happening now. If you believe a game should run perfectly smooth with thousands of players on one map, and multiplayer games that average 64 vs 64 or larger, than this game is not for you. Defiance is a project that I believe can only get better over time. The story is good enough to make you wonder what comes next, as tied in with the television series on Scifi, the story will be evolving accordingly and continue to be updated in seasons. There are enough time trials and battelgrounds to keep you and many of your closest friends playing together for a long time.
    Weapons building and costumizing is very addicting. Guns have levels of rarity which make them better as in all MMO's. Then you find that purple extra rare weapon, then you can add things of similar rarity in parts, like scopes, clips, barrels and stocks, making your weapon original to your play style and desires. Occasionally you can find a part that changes the elemental powers, like bio, chemical, electric, and disruption to name a few, making the combinations endless. Through leveling, your character develops different abilitys, like cloak and decoy. For a small price, your "talent" tree can be changed at any point in the game, which is crutial if you don't enjoy your original choice.
    I find the combat system to be solid when the game is running clean. You are rewarded for headshots and critical hits. Players familiar with MMO's understand bosses are not 1 vs 1 friendly, which is fine because when you choose a mission and get to the site, there are usually friendly players already working on the bosses, and believe me, they are greatful to see you.
    Finally to pick on Defiance a little bit, the driving mechanics do feel a bit blocky, along with the issue of a small back pack, which consistanly forces you to break down or sell items you will not use. There is currently no storage bank or auction house to seel items to other players in need, which is very helpful when you are looking for a specific item. Lastly, when you join in an Arkfall battle, which is extremely fun, many players look like a default character which is due to the amount of characters on screen i'm sure, but also sure that this issue will be fixed shorty.
    Defiance is not perfect, but its original for consoles, and a great start of something I can see building up very strong. Give this game a chance with an open mind, and don't expect a Call of Duty pace, and you will enjoy this title. No game deserves a true zero rating, so hate all you want, and realize some games have put out a near exact copy of itself with minor tweaks for many years, and getting rave reviews. Keep that in mind.
  63. Apr 10, 2013
    The game has a lot to fix, but the overall is great. It's a one-of-a-kind xbox 360 game and it just gets better the more you play it. Just have patience and wait for the patches and fixes.
  64. Apr 9, 2013
    Defiance right now is the game to play, I have played FFXI, GW2, and now the FF XIV beta, I can say this game is so much fun online, its a different kind of animal.

I know they are people are complaining about the servers but then your not looking at the bigger picture, this game hold thousands and thousands of players in 1 world and there are no lobby rooms at all.

You will see
    people go about their quest to get the final contract done or race out to do a Ark Fall which is one of the coolest thing I have seen in a game.

Also Xbox 360 needs this more then anything else because this proves it can be done online without the MMO fees and play and even with the DLC nobody gets left out because they didnt get it.

Many people worry about the updates, well Trion Worlds have full control over this on their end of the server for those updates so that is another plus for xbox live. This is only the beginning and they have the formula to make another with fantasy settings.

Like Richie said "Its Final Fantasy, Fallout, Borderlands mixed."
  65. Apr 9, 2013
    Not brilliant but a amazing job done for one of the first real MMO on the xbox, fun and addictive to play, keeps me playing and i'm confident that it get the support to evolve to an permanant mmo for the console for the coming year
  66. Apr 9, 2013
    This review is based off of content before the show's release. My actual number that i would give this game in its current state is an 8.6. irresponsible people who give this game a 0 clearly did not give it time and are too lazy to give it what they even think it's worth which artificially lowers the game's overall score. If you think it's a four, give it that. A zero is a broken and literally unplayable game. Even my most hated game is not a 0. Positives: 1. 3rd person shooter with load out system skill tree (You can have one super power and 8 perks; also when you've unlocked enough you can make different load outs and cycle between them). The game play is easily the best part of this game. Once you find your favorite guns, shooting people in the face with them will never get old. The perks you unlock actually feel like they make a difference. Overall engaging enemies is more about skill and preparedness rather than what level you are which means a lot. 2. handles servers with hundreds of people almost flawlessly; you can literally be fighting with 300 people at an arkfall, feel involved, and have no lag. 3. Features a variety of mounts that can be summoned at any time in order to traverse the map easily. 4. No subscription. 5. The great foundation this game has is guaranteed to be expanded on when the show airs. The story which is currently one of its weaknesses should be improved along with more content. Speculation yes, but seeing as the creators dumped 105 million into the update process I'm inclined to believe the best is yet to come. 6. Features a decent pvp system that is incredibly fun, rewarding, and skill based. No matter your level, if you have good guns and some skill you'll do fine and get a bunch of exp. However it seems that so far their are only two modes and they need to add something more out of the ordinary than king of the hills and tdm. 7. Enemy variety and missions dramatically get more interesting as the game progresses. 8. The graphics are actually surprisingly good, however the landscape is not that diverse. This is being said however while most of the continent still hasn't been released. 9. The arkfalls are incredibly fun and rewarding. They are big part of giving the game continuity. 10. People dynamically joining your missions is always a joy and helping your friends is not hard to do and rewarding since the enemies and loot adjust to your level and number of people in the area. 11. The game features fun and rewarding co-op missions. 12. Everyone has their own loot!, this should be a given in games nowadays but unfortunately it's not. 13. Game features a way to convert garbage loot into a valuable alternative currency called "salvage", which can be arguably more valuable than the main currency scrip, without having to go to vendors. This makes looting so much more fun than in games where managing loot becomes a chore. 14. Your favorite gun can stay your favorite gun for what seems to be forever. The drop system in this game is weird. A gun you loot at level 20 can still be awsome at level 200 and beyond. I am currently level 500, and using a gun i love that i found around my 100's Guns can have elements and can level up from use to get a bonus perk. Also any gun is capable of using four mods. 15. The modding system is great. mods are very diverse and some (synergy mods) can have increased bonuses if multiple of the same class of mods are attached to the same weapon. With enough salvage you can safely remove mods and also add slots to weapons that don't have any. 16. The interface and controls are excellent on the xbox and clearly made with the console in mind. This game was made for the consoles, so please don't buy it for the pc thinking you'll have an equally excellent time. Negatives: 1. The story so-far is garbage and cut-scenes are scarce with little intrigue. Some of the characters develop fairly well so far but none are quite that awesome yet. The script is also fairly generic and the plot won't get your blood pumping too much. This is one of the game's biggest sins, however there is hope that the show will help cure this. 2. there are a few minor glitches. 3. Even though the great gameplay can largely help you ignore it, the side missions and missions without intro cutscenes are fairly repetitive featuring almost always the same thing: either defend against waves of people or hold x on something. the missions eventually get more diverse in featuring different temporary power weapons or giving bosses, however it still mainly boils down to the same thing. 4. The game tutorial is not the greatest, leaving you to read most of the info on the menus and online. 5. Cutscenes do not feature your groupmates, and while doing main missions and side missions you can feel like your going it alone even though there are hundreds of players near you. 6. I never stopped and appreciated the music, sfx, or most of the voice acting. Expand
  67. Apr 9, 2013
    One week later...

So I decided to come back and up my score after playing quite a bit of this game over the last week. The first few days were horrible. I have been following Trion via their boards and many improvements have already been made in this first week. I actually would give this game a 7.8 but that's not an option here.

The game has grown on me and has potential. While
    graphically not that pretty the game is addicting when it runs smooth. However be warned. As I stated, I have been following the games forums and people are already finished with all the quests. For an MMO that's a scary thought. I haven't finished them all and those people maybe 'lifers' but still, one week is a short time even for them. The variety is an issue with this game and longevity without DLC could be short. Missions are not that varied the ark falls (Large MMO events) are very limited and become boring quickly. Trion does seem to be listening to players so based on the early play this could become 8 or higher game. It still has issues but unfortunately that's an MMO for you. Expand
  68. Apr 9, 2013
    Honestly the graphics are PS2 quality, but that does NOT matter. A good game is based off of how much fun you have with it, and this game provides hours upon hours of fun. I recommend finding someone to join up with to play the game as playing alone will give you a spike in difficulty. The 360 does not have many MMOs on it, and this is a huge step in the right direction. A definite buy if you've ever played Fallout and Borderlands and thought "It would be sweet if this were an MMO".

The negative is that it's a new MMO, so you're going to see a bunch of server issues to start, huge patches, oh and make sure you have 10+ gigs free on your hard drive if you even want to start playing. If you're into sweet graphics, this game will disappoint.

Overall I score this game an 8 out of 10. I've convinced two others to buy this game and we join up and before you know it, we're 5 hours in and it feels like we just turned the game on. Loads of fun!
  69. Apr 8, 2013
    While Defiance isn't the "prettiest" game out there, it sure does blaze new trails. After close to 10 hours in game, I am officially hooked. The missions are engaging, the weapon customizations are robust and the open world feel is fantastic. The voice acting is weak at times but the story is still very fun.

While there have been issues with servers and lag, the development team has
    been making great strides in fixing the issues. I played for 2 hours today there there was no lag at all the entire time.

If you're interested in playing a game with thousands of other people at the same time, like shooters and RPG elements, and want to experience a game's story along with a TV show, Defiance won't disappoint you.
  70. Apr 8, 2013
    Defiance... Well personally I love it! Ha it is so addicting. It is a free-to-play game meaning there is no subscription fee, but also meaning free-to-do-what-ever-you-(insert-bad-word-here)-want! You have two main "Quest-lines" to do or you can do WHAT EVER you want! You can go hang with your friends, start a clan, do some co-op instances, or do the coolest PVP i have seen on Xbox. When playing with your friends you can actually use real strategy unlike Call of Duty, I'm not saying that there is no strategy in COD, it just usually fall apart when you die... but in defiance you can heal your team-mates or revive them! You can have a sniper sneak behind the enemy-lines while you have a tank unload a few mags with a light-machine gun. The co-op instances are alright, on a side note I've only done one with some random people that didn’t even talk but I bet it is a lot better with teamwork. The main problem I found with the game is the connection issue they have one server that sometimes has a queue and you sometimes can't connect for a hour or two. Oh and finally you get disconnected randomly but that just happens rarely. But do I still play? YEA! This is game as I said before has some of the best PVP I've ever seen on Xbox, there is a few different types. There is team death-match which is 6 vs 6 or 8 vs 8. That's pretty normal but what I'm talking about is the "Shadow War", where you fight for "points" or flags like domination in COD. But you start out with four and soon your gain three more to make it an intense seven flag game where you race with your vehicles in the "REAL WORLD" where other players can see you play and you can see them! Yea your not in a private lobby. So finally to sum up the goods and the bads three for each, Bads 1.connection. 2.one server. 3.lag. Goods 1.In-depth story. 2.Amazing PVP. 3.Great Co-op system/Real Strategy! So Finally, would I recommend this game to others? Wait a month or two until they have the lag and servers working better and then jump in! Check their Twitter, they are not afraid to say they are working on a problem and I hope they continue doing this it make it feel like a evolving game! Thank you if you read this whole thing haha! Expand
  71. Apr 8, 2013
    Defiance has nailed the art of MMO with a variety of different things to do such as: driving, PVP (player vs player), PVE (player vs environment), co-op, a great plot to a almost perfect storyline and tons more!

The best thing about Defiance is how much there is to do from exploring to the main missions or even side missions in which there are hundreds...

Co-op is easy and fun with
    friends as well as random people you may encounter whilst doing a main mission, these people can easily come up to you and help you with your mission, no lobby's involved!
    PVP is good fun although it is a let down due there are only 2 maps to choose from, however with DLC confirmed we can be sure to see more PVP maps to come our way.

The graphics are quite poor but what do you expect from a game with thousands of players in it at one given time? If it were to have graphics such as FarCry 3 or Crysis 3 then the game would not be able to run at all on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

However, I do have problems with frame rate on the xbox 360, the game just does not run so smooth when you encounter major Arkfalls when there are literally hundreds of players in one area at one time, although this is easily patched and that's the best thing about Defiance, patches... Patches can be made whenever they want and can be made very frequently, making a brilliant game even better!

So why not try Defiance? It's fun alone and even more fun with friends, it's definitely worth the buy...
  72. Apr 8, 2013
    Defiance is a truly unique gaming experience; it's an innovative title that combines multiple concepts and combines them into a platform that ultimately equates to a very fun experience!

Defiance is a Massive-Multiplayer Online Game that takes the form of a shooter. Take World of Warcraft, Rift, Borderlands and Mass Effect 3, then sprinkle in a little bit of Fallout and you've got
    Defiance. Even though Dfeiance takes queues from each of these games, it truly shines as a unique experience; albeit with some flaws.

Let's start with the positive, Defiance is a Third Person Shooter/RPG Hybrid. The easiest game to compare the style to is Borderlands, but give yourself a third person perspective. The shooting mechanics are solid, with more of a run a gun action, but don't expect this game to be Call of Duty or Gears of War in that respect. Players will also have to take this approach with the RPG concepts of Defiance; you gain experience by leveling up weapons skills from use, completing tasks etc. The game takes concepts from World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls and Borderlands, but implements them in a unique way. These add to you over power level, or "EGO" level. In addition, you gain skill, or "EGO" points at certain experience thresholds. EGO points allow you to upgrade "perks" or your "EGO Power" (An EGO power is a special power each character gets to select; think of this like the powers a Vault Hunter gets in Borderlands). You can upgrade or equip perks, based on your EGO level.

Defiance also has an intricate loot system, creating random drops like any MMORPG, with colors designating rarity. Defiance has multiple different gun combinations and a system that rivals Borderlands or Diablo 3's shear volume of loot types. Speaking of equipment, Defiance gives the normal cache of weapons, from Assault Rifles, to Shotguns, to Rocket Launchers and add in funny little guns called "Infectors" that create parasites on targets. What sets Defiance apart is the shear level of modification you can do guns: you can modify up 4 four attachments on guns, that can give shotguns sniper scopes, turn rockets into heat seeking missiles or simply give a gun an elemental effect like acid, fire, or warping. Couple this with the fact that you can create up to 5 load-outs, switchable with two button presses, and Defiance allows you to create an MMO experience with how you'd like to play it.

The game world in Defiance is vast, and early on the game gives players access to vehicles with the level of control equivalent to vehicles in Borderlands. You traverse a post-apocalyptic earth with mutants, freakish insecticide creatures and killer cyborgs, just to name a couple of the dangers. Enemy AI isn't too difficult to tackle and scales quite well. While individual enemies don't pose much threat by themselves, they are fairly accurate, and combinations of enemy types creates the necessity for cover and a level of strategy that offsets the lack of intelligence. Battles a typical battle can have you pitted against one for that can stick you to the ground, one foe that will hit you with melee and another for that will jump at you there becomes a frantic thrill to combat; using your EGO power, your combat roll, cover, grenades and weapon becomes an overall fun experience that begs you for more. This is even more apparent with Arkfalls, which are powerful random events that allow players to team up for massive team fights for loot and experience. Arkfalls are like mini-raids from other MMORPGs that typically last about 40 or so minutes; they require players to group up and don't require large parties everyone gets experience and loot for participating. I highly recommend watching one of these on YouTube as I don't think I've has as much coop fun with a game before Defiance.

For all the good, Defiance has its flaws. The most obvious is that on console, the graphic quality isn't the greatest; this is to be expected with a console MMO. Sometimes, targets disappear due to lag, both latency and graphic related. There are still some bugs in the game, which is once again expected with any large scale MMO at launch and will typically be phased out shortly. And the game is rather short for an MMO; the game launched a week ago and some players have already completed the primary quest line.

All-in-all I believe that Defiance is a unique and rewarding experience that creates on of the best coop experiences we've seen on consoles to. It takes the best from multiple games and ties them all into a single, entertaining experience!
  73. Apr 7, 2013
    There is some potential here, but the game as it stands 'Right Now', almost unplayable. Very glitchy, it suffers from frame rate issues and connectivity (servers drop out every now and then) There is a TON of stuff to do in game, quests and side quests along with some competitive multiplayer match making as well. Lots of upgrades and purchases in-game for your character are available, as long as your willing to dish out some MSP. I wouldn't buy to play the game just yet, i'd give it a few more weeks, get TRION to sort things out and make the game a little more functional. Expand
  74. Apr 7, 2013
    I went into this game with much reservation and, seven hours in, I am pleasantly surprised at what a fun, deep game Defiance is. Arkfalls are a blast, as is every other mission I've played. Folks deride Defiance for its "go here, kill everything, hold X" gameplay, but I love it. It's a shooter after all.
  75. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is closer to a 6.5. People have been so desperate for a console mmo, especially on the Xbox 360, that this game is causing them to lose their minds; or at least their objectivity which explains all the 9's and 10's. The game is definitely fun and the character development is pretty good, but it's also riddled with a good amount of bugs which require a fair amount of internet searches to find workarounds. At least I'm happy that there ARE workarounds. The game play is fun, if a bit generic, but the graphics are mediocre at best as are the character animations. And the animation of the pre-order bonus car is just awful. I'm willing to overlook the graphics and animations because for this game to work on consoles sacrifices had to be made. There's also a lot of information missing in the early game, such as how code-keys and lock boxes work and how to mod weapons but this stuff can easily be found online during the constant server down time. All in all, if you're looking for a solid mmo experience on the Xbox 360 theirs no other choice but the game is fun none the less. If you're looking for a solid shooter with cutting edge graphics then you're out of luck. Expand
  76. Apr 7, 2013
    UNIQUE to the platform! that is why this is a 9, most customization for a multiplayer game on the 360 and the only MMO for the last few year. Mix of Borderlands and Red Faction with more things to do than I can remember in a multiplayer game. The arkfalls while laggy are extremely fun and massive with ton of people contributing. You can come up on a randomly generated sidequest like help out the convoy and start by youself and finish with five strangers working together to get it done. The world is MASSIVE plus the promise of new worlds and a vehicle at your whistle at any moment makes traveling fun, with jumping of mountains and landing in the middle of firefights. I am sorry if you have a PC and this is nothing new to you but if all you have is a console and this sounds fun then get on it! Expand
  77. Apr 7, 2013
    Awesome. Ive been waiting for a decent mmo game to come along for the xbox. And this has nailed it, i mean, its not without its issues... of course, but every mmo starts that way, it will only get better, more solid. But already its absorbing and full of depth. And the combat is great. Pvp is good, just a very promising start.
  78. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is now after three days of constant play my favorite MMO (I'm mainly an MMO/ FPS/Adventure gamer.) And sure the game may rarely have a tiny issue with the framerate, which only ever drops by a tiny bit when at least 100 people are on screen fighting one of the many epic arkfall boss battles. This game could easily be my game of the year... And disregard all of the reviews bashing this game, frankly they don't know what they're talking about. So to all those out there wanting to try something different give this game a go, it is no generic third person shooter. (9.5) Expand
  79. Apr 6, 2013
    Beginning sucks, Arkfalls are fun as hell and the whole thing requires too many patches. Defiance is painful to begin, but addictive after the first horrible portion.
  80. Apr 6, 2013
    REALLY?! I waited almost an hour for the game to install then almost another hour as it downloaded patches and then when i finally get to play the game looks like crap! If i spend $60 on a game i should not have to ignore "rough edges" besides, this game is nothing but a rough edge! 6 years ago this would have been a good game; not great but good. However, this is 2013, we are at the end of the current generation of consoles life-cycle and nothing less than great to excellent is acceptable. This game was made purely for the publicity of the upcoming SYFY series and after getting burned like this, i won't be watching that either!
    I really wanted this to be good but lets face the the truth...it is a waste of your time and money. You are better off saving the $60. DON'T GET BURNED LIKE I DID!
  81. Apr 6, 2013
    MMO launch week issues? Sure, but the game is a helluva lotta fun! It is extremely easy to pair up with your friends online and take down some giant hellbugs. I think I played from 10pm to 3am last night with my friends online. It's an MMO so the game will be unavailable at times, due to them patching and fixing server issues, but that is to be expected. The graphics are really damn good for an MMO of this scale. Trion makes excellent games. They made RIFT on the PC. I'm seriously having a blast with this one! Arkhunters unite! The upcoming Defiance show on SyFy looks cool too. Expand
  82. Apr 5, 2013
    Message to all gamers: TRY THIS OUT FOR YOURSELF AND DON'T LISTEN TO NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!

I personally have sunk 20+ hours into the game already and I'm slowly falling in love, honestly this game becomes addictive if you swing past the rough edges. This is a unique experience and nothing else can be offered in the XBOX 360 on this scale, so TRION is getting props on innovation, and I do
    not mean everything is ground breaking but it is a start in the right direction guys. Don't let anyone bash this game away from you if your interested in the slightest, of course any game can be improved and this is no exception. So far if I was going to be critiquing this experience as a whole it would be 7/10 but since I am seeing it get 0's I must speak out and say GO BACK TO COD FAN BOYS, DEFIANCE GOES HAM!
  83. Apr 5, 2013
    Defiance is average in every way...almost. It has average graphics, average gameplay, and an average story. However, Defiance is fun because it is SO different than any of the other games for consoles. It truly is a MMO for consoles. The world is huge and there seams to be an unlimited amount of quests! If you liked Borderlands and you like MMOs, then you're gonna love Defiance!
  84. Apr 5, 2013
    I've never been a big fan of mmorpg's,sure I've played wow and dcuo. but I gotta admit defiance is a great game.this is really the first huge mmorpg on xbox360 and it's been so much fun,think of defiance like Borderlands meets fallout and a lil bit of ff in the pot mix it all together and you get Defiance.now there are some server problems but i'm sure those will be fixed soon enough.give this great game a try I think you will enjoy it allot like many others have. Expand
  85. Apr 5, 2013
    This is a good solid mmo for the Xbox the only people who bash this game are the pc players personal i think the game was made for console not pc it's fun and a step forward to have more mmo on consoles.
  86. Apr 5, 2013
    The MMO elements to this game have failed to convert me. However the overall gameplay is fantastic and I'm hooked. I love leveling up and getting loot and there's lots of this in Defiance. The gun play is solid and graphics are great for an MMO. Love it.
  87. Apr 4, 2013
    I have ~20 hrs in the game, more than most because I could actually play the damn thing, and I must say....Terrible. Don't waste your money. Don't listen to the fanboys. To compare this game to Borderlands and Fallout 3 is a disgrace to those games. This is not a shoot and loot, build up your dudebro, get better weapons, skills, etc. Nothing scales ie, your weapons dont get stronger as you go. You could spend 1/2 hr chasing around a major arkfall, which are just giant dps circle jerks anyways, thinking youre getting epic lewts and get nothing. With basically no progression in anything other than a depth-less skill board, there is really no reason to care about playing this pile. I cant believe I wasted 60 bucks, and I cant believe people are defending this game. Expand
  88. Apr 4, 2013
    Don't believe the low reviews. Like most I was disappointed that there were launch issues and basically could not play for 2 days. I cannot believe every online game that comes out has launch issues. Can someone put enough servers online to start. Anyway once I was able to get in it is a good overall game and looks like im going to have a lot of fun with it which if you give it a chance I think you will too. Expand
  89. Apr 4, 2013
    What a disappointment this turned out to be, im not going to waste much time with this review as I personally feel Ive wasted enough time playing the game. The game idea its self had the potential to be something really great, ultimately it looks so outdated against current titles, I found it repetitive, I was less intrested in it the longer I forced myself to play it in the hope it got better, the voice acting is cheap, the Ai are badly scripted and restricted for a game that was 5yrs in development. The graphics are rough as hell, and in particular I run a 30meg tinterweb connection and the game has lost at numerous points, sounds and texturing, framerates slow to freezing point at times, for a game that had been in devlopment since 2008 I find this a total waste of time and cash and best avoided, the points ive made above were more than enough for me to decide after 18hrs of play this will be getting traded in at the first possible opportunity. For much greater alternatives try Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3, Borderlands 1 & 2 and the Gear of War series. Granted its an MMO title but whats the point if console tech is underpowered this is a PC title but I doubt that would change how bad this game really turned out to be. Sorry folks....... Expand
  90. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is terrible! I have no idea, other than being paid to post a positive review, how there are so many 10 ratings on here for this game. Graphics-tolerable, but the worse part was the constant server crashes and disconnections. The server seriously crashed 3 times in under 30 mins and then put me in a queued waiting list. which had a waiting period of 9 days, to reconnect for the server. SERIOUSLY!!, FIX YOUR CRAP BEFORE RELEASE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Had the game for 2 friggin days and got maybe 5-8 hrs of game play out of it, and that was a waste of 5-8hrs anyway. Not only did the servers crash constantly, it was so LAAAAAGGGGGYYYY. I got characters floating across the screen. I'm shooting at an enemy running from one spot to the next only to find out it was lag and the guy is still sitting in the same spot he ran from. I haven;t played a game this laggy since Delta Force Land Warrior on a 56k modem back in 99. Speaking of AI. It is so stupid that I can be standing 5 ft from the enemy AI and he won't attack unless I shoot him. Stupid! This game has potential, but it's about 6-8mos down the road....maybe. Save your money and buy something else. It's a complete wasted of $60 at this stage. Expand
  91. Apr 4, 2013
    Not really sure how this game has gotten such good reviews, I mean it has promise, but it is bare bones. The PVE combat isnt awful, but its pretty repetitve, and EXTREMELY glitchy, forget about playing with other players, they teleport around and you will be lucky to even see the other person you are playing with. Lot of the quests or challenges have you go for a high score, and during these events you see other players doing same quest porting in and out, its awful. Maybe if they somehow fix these bugs, and if they have instances it might be somewhat playable. However, as it stands, its really bad. Expand
  92. Apr 4, 2013
    So I got this game yesterday after playing a bit of the beta, which was mediocre. This was the first MMO I have played on the consoles, so I didn't really know what to expect. What I have found is that this game is really fun and definitely more polished than the version in the beta (no suprise). I've played maybe around 3 hours, but so far the game play has been fun followed by an intriguing story. Doing missions alongside thousands of companions is quite a fun experience. Also, the developers of this game are very dedicated to it, so if you find issues with the game, if any, they will probably be patched. This appears to be a game I will be playing for a while and was definitely a pleasant surprise. The only down side I've seen so far is the servers, but that is to be expected in the first couple of days of the game, especially when Trion didn't realize how many people would buy this game, which is a lot. I look forward to playing some more! Expand
  93. Apr 4, 2013
    Does it have the MMO launch day issues. Oh yeah. No big surprise though. I see a lot of reviews comparing it to Fallout or Borderlands but MMO style. In part I agree except that it lacks one major part the other games have which is a driving narrative. It feels like WoW in the go here and do this x amount of times to get this loot stuff that you are not sure exactly what that stuff really does. It can use a more extensive tutorial which maybe the show itself will provide or they will patch in later. People tend to forget how rough MMO launches are and that it takes a lot of time to fine-tune it. WoW was not built in a day, week, month or year guys.
    What I will say is the universe looks very promising and the combat is fun and I hope they bring more Guild Wars 2 dynamic questing to the game which seems to be partially in there. Also, visually emphasize the Story based quests more with the game map maybe with an episodic apprach like Star Trek Online.
    So far I like it and since it is a free to play MMO (after the initial game purchase), there is no downside to playing and hopefully watch the fine-tuning evolve this game to be a better Action MMO RPG.
  94. Apr 3, 2013
    The graphics aren't that great but the game play is solid i had fun right off the bat. Ive been waiting for a console shooter mmo since i got my 360 and this is a great start. I hope it does well enough to encourage other companies to take similar leaps of faith.
  95. Apr 3, 2013
    People need to stop writing reviews on this game after only playing a few missions. You can run around quest and gear up like a normal mmo. You can also go to matchmaking and play against other players like every other first person shooter. It has team death match and objective type games. The more you gear up and unlock skills the better you will be in the pvp part, but you still do fine when you first start off you just have to work harder for the kills. Over all I would give this game a 9 because it still has a few bugs, but if you like mmo's and first person shooters this game does very well in mixing the two. Expand
  96. Apr 3, 2013
    Good game that will get better as it's patched and improved. Fun and very fast for an MMO or any type of game for that matter. Also, it's an MMO on the console, and a good one too!
  97. Apr 3, 2013
    I can't really "review" the game yet as I have only spent a few hours playing.

It isn't really that interesting. The world looks pretty much the same throughout. I wonder if this could be to leave it a blank slate in some ways, to have a canvas to add to when the show takes off.

I see still potential... And can forgive things like lips not moving right. Some things just look rushed
    though... Not necessary reduction in detail to handle the game and massive multiplayer environment... but Rushed. Cheap. No offense to those who worked on it.

I still have hopes, but I was already wanting to take it back when I woke up today.

I guess it is still enjoyable in an arcade way. I chose it over Halo 4 when the servers went down, playing Halo 4 while I waited... But wanted to go back to "new experience". I am not sure that that is all it was, yet.

Gunning is pretty solid, but sometimes choppy/jumpy when around lots of people... Sometimes normally. Men. Okay.

It is just Sort of uninteresting. Why? My guy is looking at the ground as he drives the ATV, all arched over.

Hacking bug-mounds? Same animation as hacking computers/Etc.

Concept... Awesome. More could be done. More, maybe, can.

Still enjoyable... And have not explored everything, nor do I fully understand the perks system.

This is a preliminary review only. 6 or 7. 10 for entertainment concept. Don't know about story. Being "with" the stars of the show is interestingly done. Good ideas. I will give it a 7 even though I also want to give it a 6 overall, with some elements being a 5, 4, 3...
  98. Apr 3, 2013
    Awesome game noting else like it available for console; reminds me of a borderlands, gears of wars and rift mix up. Can be enjoyed with a few friends or hundreds of players at the same time.
  99. Apr 3, 2013
    NOT a perfect 10 but I am giving it that because of all the people giving the game a 0. What the heck, no game deserves a zero, are ou serious. In reality the game is probably a 9. I love the game it mixes MMO and shooter flawlessly but there are still some server and respawn issues that need to be fixed..but thats whats great about MMOs...they are always being updated
  100. Apr 3, 2013
    Do not read any of the 10 or 0 reviews is my Metacritic philosophy. I have played 2 console MMO's (this really isn't an MMO in my book) but on the first day of launch I expected much worse than what happened yesterday.

To launch the game on 3 platforms on the same day is pretty impressive. The game itself is fun, the graphics aren't the best you've ever seen but that's because there is
    like 100 other people doing on your screen at the same time. If you have never played anything on this huge type of scale before, I say give it a go and don't let us tell you what to think.

My best experience came during a BETA there was a world boss Arkfall called the Mother of all hellbugs anyway me and like 50 people were fighting this for like 20 minutes with little to no lag, during beta.

So I'm guessing any server issues are going to stabilize especially once all the whiny little ****es that give out 0's leave the game
  101. Apr 2, 2013
    Defiance is truly taking a step into the right direction for MMO's on consoles. The game isn't the most beautiful game compared to games like Halo, Gears of War or any top games. BUT it does have really fun gameplay and lets be honest if you flipped the game case over and saw 1-10,000+ players for online capability then you'd be excited too. It has features that will remind you of borderlands and the world truly feels like a Fallout setting minus all the buildings. Disregard the negative reviews and the people who say its not like borderlands or fallout, well obviously it's not those games but it reminds you of them. Overall Defiance is a solid game, as long as they keep assisting with the servers. Overall it is a 9 out of 10 because the gameplay is what makes it great. Graphics are probably at a 7.5, it grows on you Collapse

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Defiance is essentially a single player shooter, that has been retrofitted to an MMOFPS. The multiplayer component doesn't really add anything to the game, if you don't count some random back-up crews as such. [Aug 2013]
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    Do you feel like shooting something? Are you enjoying action games? Do you wish to be with other people in a world that's evolving not in the game itself but in its TV series as well? In that case feel free to try Defiance out. Just be expecting nothing more than some solid action that hardly holds your attention for a long period of time.
  3. Jun 10, 2013
    With its straight focus, repetitive missions and static world, Defiance shouldn't work as well as it does. There's potential here. [July 2013, p.69]