8.1

1. Mar 29, 2013
    Honestly, I found this to be a rather weak continuation of the series. Nero is nowhere near as interesting as Dante, and should not even exist in my opinion. Devil May Cry should ALWAYS be centered around Dante. The combat is good, the visuals are good, the story is good, but some rather lame characters (aside from Dante.) A real shame considering just how right they got the series with Devil May Cry 3. Devil May Cry 4 does not technically do anything wrong as it more or less follows the Devil May Cry formula of 1 & 3. But that is perhaps the problem, on a new generation of consoles I did expect them to go further, instead they played it safe and just did what they did before. Overall: A decent DMC game that just fails to impress. Expand
  2. Feb 18, 2012
    I must first address a grievance of mine. The most appalling thing in this game is the repetition of the levels and bosses halfway through the game. Players control new character Nero for the first half and Dante for the second half. Their combat styles are only moderately different so it is incredibly tedious to replay the same thing all over again. I find it incredible that a respected development team would decide to deceive players in this way. Okay moving on. The combat in DMC4 is fast and effective but is let down by clunky dodge mechanics. Considering how important dodging is in a game like this, this is a glaring flaw. Graphically, the game is excellent but the plot, characters and writing are much less so. Expand
  3. May 29, 2013
    Enjoyed the game a lot. This is my personal favorite DMC of the series. Very good hack and slash action and changes the pace by playing as different characters. Very good for what it is. Only complaint is it's a bit too easy.
  4. Dec 14, 2010
    This game doesn't have the action sequences it claims to have. I got his quite a while after it came, after hearing so many good things about it, but it can feel so boring sometimes. Love-story's good, control are great, but the combat isn't fun at all. No offense to anyone, but I much prefer Bayonetta. It feels much more action-packed and the characters have more charm and hilarity to them. Pick this up if your a fan, but anyone else should just leave it be. Expand
  5. Jun 17, 2013
    An awesome hack n' slash game that can entertain for hours at a time. It offers great combat and a satisfying new protagonist other than Dante with his very own powers.

6. May 8, 2014
    An Outstanding game that's worth playing.Fast Fun and also interesting with any move you make and also the COMBO is just AMAZING.The weapons ,the art style which the characters were designed is just SUPERB

Hideaki Itsuno => the Best gaming producer
  7. May 18, 2012
    Honestly? Best god damn game i played so far, the exact game type that i love and adore, the super powers, the combos, the spec effects, graphics! First game that i decided to replay right after i finished it, but now on legendary dark knight difficulty, and you know what? It feels even better now! Well earned 10/10
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    Unlike it's incredibly exciting and stylish predecessor, Devil May Cry 4 feels like a boring chore.

I'll admit, the combat is incredible... only when you posses the character Dante. Other wise you play as the incredibly uninteresting and unexplained Nero who has your typical hack n' slash move set. With Nero, you can button mash your way through the first sets of levels. Compared to
    Dante, Nero has a underwhelming move set. Although, unlike Dante, Nero has Devil Bringer. As you can guess, it brings enemies closer to him for some interesting aerial maneuvers, but not enough to keep you interested.

As for Dante, this is where the game shines. Luckily, they removed the feature from Devil May Cry 3 in which you are forced into picking one Style for the mission. Now, you can switch instantly with the d-pad, and can pull of some sick combos.
    Unfortunately, you are only backtracking through Nero's levels, which gets really repetitive.

However, this game has some of the best boss battles in the series, as well as the toughest. Berial was interesting, but the best ones were Credo and The Savior. Credo in particular. Sadly, with an awful story line, the game doesn't convey enough emotion for me to care about most of these characters, and the boss battles I'm fighting. While in Devil May Cry 3, I actually felt like the dual between Dante and Vergil was important, and I wanted to beat it.

The puzzles in this game are very simple, and feel like pointless padding. Especially since the focus is combat, where this game succeeds.

I'd talk about the story, but it's virtually non-existent. Overall, it's a very underwhelming title in the series, considering that it only gets somewhat good half way through the game. Not worth it. Mediocre.
  9. Mar 24, 2013
    ''Devil May Cry 4'' is everything that a hack and slash game should be and it's the best in the series because DMC was the worst in the series I can't believe that but I still play this game until now.
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    Excellent! After the perfect DMC 3, Capcom gave us a great sequel, and with the same Dante of the previous game (Reuben Langdon did an excellent job as voice actor and mocap actor). Style Switch on the fly makes the gameplay perfect, giving the player the chance to make expectacular combo chains. More combos than DMC 3 and the add of a new character on the franchise, giving new story possibilities for the future. The only flaw of this game is Dante backtracking Nero stages, but still, the game is fast-paced and extremelly fun. Also, Gothic enviroments looks more beautiful than ever. Weapons design is very creative and the smart humor is glorious! Brillant game! Expand
  11. Feb 21, 2013
    Devil May Cry 4 may not be the best of the Hack n Slash genre of games or the best of the series, but definitely has a lot of depth in the combat whilst playing as Dante and strategy and ease of use when playing as Nero. Even though the main levels become repetitive, the game still deserves praise for its good cutscenes and decent story and romantic side plot. Dante obviously steals the show but then again it's not really a DMC game without Dante. I was glad they improved upon the style system from DMC 3 but I was sort of disappointed at the removal of some styles but it was compensated with the removal of having to select one style for one mission.
    As for Nero, his combat technique is a little bit different. it requires precise timing in order to power up the sword combos and the player must take note of whether they'll risk themselves when using the devil trigger arm that can do throws that Dante cannot. The platforming and puzzles are either too long or just plain pointless. The enemies though are slow don't always notify the player when they're attack. At the most, the boss battles compensate for the extra challenge depending the difficulty.
    It's a lovely game but could have been better if there wasn't so much repetition, but the game certainly is a favourite. I could hope that Capcom remake DMC 3 with the multi-style system of DMC 4 or maybe make another DMC game (not that Ninja Theory stuff but the new one was okay)
  12. Jul 4, 2011
    DMC 4 Is a fast paced, action packed game with great game play that becomes repetitive as many 3rd person action games fall prey to. More than a third of the game involves backtracking which can be annoying and shows how thin the game truley is. The cut scenes tell the narrative and there are plenty o them. There is replayability if you love beating your scores or placing on leaderboards.

1. Everything a hack-and-slash should be and then some. Sadly it falters with repeated level design and a moderately troublesome camera; but in the grand scheme of things, these are only minor flaws. Devil May Cry 4 delivers an experience that is second to none on Xbox 360, so far. Held together by a solid narrative, it makes your blood boil with every fight you encounter.
    Even with its minor faults, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better-feeling, better-looking, jack-of-all-trades action game on the market today. [Mar 2008, p.82]
  3. The combat system is still brilliant, Nero proves to be a good character and visually it’s pretty impressive. But we can’t help feeling a little disappointed. It’s still a great action game, but has the same flaws of every other title of the series. [Feb 2008]