8.4

1. May 1, 2012
    Every once in a while, a title comes along that re-defines the future of gaming. It's a turning point in game development, and spawns hundreds of budget clones that try to cash in while it's hot. In 2001, DMC was one of those games. It single-handedly invented the action game genre as we know it. DMC3 invented true Stylish Action- with weapon switching, evasive maneuvers, and over-the-topEvery once in a while, a title comes along that re-defines the future of gaming. It's a turning point in game development, and spawns hundreds of budget clones that try to cash in while it's hot. In 2001, DMC was one of those games. It single-handedly invented the action game genre as we know it. DMC3 invented true Stylish Action- with weapon switching, evasive maneuvers, and over-the-top powers.

The ports are really solid. I had some concerns after reading about the problems with other HD collectiosn recently, like the Silent Hill HD Collection. Visuals are crisp and clean, and the games look excellent considering their age. DMC1's textures hold up surprisingly well (shows how far good art direction can go) aside from the pixelated skybox or so. DMC3 looks absolutely gorgeous. They added some anti-aliasing, and the motion capture looks impressive even by today's standards. The only gripe that some people might have is that various menus and cutscenes (the ones that are full motion video) are still in 4:3 ratio. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, and recreating these videos would have been pretty impractical.

Some people are saying that they stretched the aspect ratio of the games to fit the widescreen. THIS IS ERRONEOUS. They actually widened the viewing area to 16:9, which makes some of the camera angle griefs much better.

Of course, the entire series runs at 60fps for buttery smooth combat. No hiccups or framerate issues. No technical glitches or bugs. The gameplay is pretty much flawless.

As for extras, the Vault comes with a collection of never before released pre-production concept art. One of the other reviewers on Amazon said that this is all stuff you can get on the internet, but it's simply not true. There are several pieces of art from back when DMC1 was a Resident Evil title. These never made their way to the general public. There's also a nice selection of music from each of the three titles. This is, unfortunately, incomplete, but it's still a nice touch. Throw your favorite track on while you peruse the gallery.

DMC2 is a throwaway title. It always has been. Don't let that discourage you because DMC1 and DMC3 together are worth well more than the $40 asking price. Even so, it looks as good as it ever has.

If you have ANY interest at all in action games, maybe you want to see what all the hubbub is about, or if you want to revisit these incredible titles with gorgeous visuals, you owe it to yourself to pick up this collection.
  2. Apr 6, 2012
    If you are a true devil may cry fan you must have this game its 3 games in 1 for $40 with some fixes to graphics and 99 achievments and if you never played any of the DMC games this collection is where you need to start and after all of capcoms crap this collection is a good move just hope they dont charge us for content on the disc. opps i think i just gave them a idea haha.
  3. Apr 7, 2012
    DMC in HD is still a good game with great characters, great bosses and enemies in super great location. If you have not played DMC need to catch up as soon as possible. Great story you will remember for a very, very long time. In HD the game looks very good, and the music is a great complement.
  4. May 8, 2014
    Why the fuuck in the bloody world they didn't do an PC DMC HD Collection.In other words...this collection is just what I dreamed of.Sooo yeah..make it only of consoles ,why am I not surprised.
  5. Apr 8, 2012
    My first Devil May Cry game was part 4. I really wanted to play the first three. This is an excellent value. Three games, in HD, for the price of less than a regular game. Devil May Cry 1 is great. Excellent combat, great graphics and challenging game play. Devil May Cry 2 is just awful. Graphic wise, looks great. They toned the combat down for some reason. DMC 3 is absolutely insane!!My first Devil May Cry game was part 4. I really wanted to play the first three. This is an excellent value. Three games, in HD, for the price of less than a regular game. Devil May Cry 1 is great. Excellent combat, great graphics and challenging game play. Devil May Cry 2 is just awful. Graphic wise, looks great. They toned the combat down for some reason. DMC 3 is absolutely insane!! The combat is phenomenal. This game by itself is worth 60. Really great package minus DMC 2. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    This is a great series and i was very happy when I found out they were making a HD collection. DMC1 is awesome, although, in retrospect it lacks some of the complexity of moves that the latter DMC's are enriched by.... I know it is because its the first, but I still felt like I should be able to do things that I couldn't. The only reason I marked this down was because of the inclusion ofThis is a great series and i was very happy when I found out they were making a HD collection. DMC1 is awesome, although, in retrospect it lacks some of the complexity of moves that the latter DMC's are enriched by.... I know it is because its the first, but I still felt like I should be able to do things that I couldn't. The only reason I marked this down was because of the inclusion of DMC 2 skip it it's not necessary. Oddly I find the redesign of Dante in DMC2 more jarring than the 'all new Emo Dante' in DMC 5... but clearly that's JUST me... DMC 3 is a great all rounder frustratingly difficult and complex, yet it all seems to come together with practice... I really think that some of the level design just wasn't up to par in DMC3 making the game harder than it should have been, but it seemed to work in it's favour. Maybe it was just clever....

It is a minor shame that DMC 4 is not on the disc but we can't have everything can we? DMC HD collection is not just a trip down memory lane. It's the conversion of hack 'n' slash into an art form. Frustratingly impressive.
  7. Apr 5, 2012
    I can now play DMC on the Xbox 360. I was expecting a little more polish with the cutscenes and menus. I think everyone knows that these games are very deserving of an HD upgrade, but they should have taken more time to polish the cut scenes and do a complete HD update. I am still a big fan and I love the franchise. I will enjoy playing these games through.
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    The DMC HD Collection offers a Neopolitan-esq experience, all the flavors of Devil May Cry presented in a nice little box. There are no real changes to the games save for the graphics. The games got smoothed out...but not entirely, which keeps this collection from being a perfect 10. Some cutscenes have been untouched which makes for a strange experience when you go from the newer graphicsThe DMC HD Collection offers a Neopolitan-esq experience, all the flavors of Devil May Cry presented in a nice little box. There are no real changes to the games save for the graphics. The games got smoothed out...but not entirely, which keeps this collection from being a perfect 10. Some cutscenes have been untouched which makes for a strange experience when you go from the newer graphics back to the PS2 ones. Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    It's worth just buying and playing this instead of buying the new DmC game, you can buy this and number 4 for less than the new DmC costs. And in the end, you have 3 good devil may cry games (2 sucks), and you paid half the price. The collection is good for convenience's sakes, and i'm starting to see the virtues of re-releasing classics on newer consoles.
    I don't really need to talk
    I don't really need to talk about gameplay too much, but i believe they tweaked the first game slightly as there was a few things out of date. But generally they all flow nicely into one another as you play through.
    Only complaint is that the graphics still felt like they needed touching up, and Devil May Cry is kind of rubbish, the gameplay is there, but you can notice the difficulty dip tangibly. I played the first game and struggled my way through, dying constantly, and refusing to drop to easy mode, getting better as i went. And then moved onto 2, which i played through without a single game over, i died once and used a gold orb, which to my suprise ressurects on the spot in 2, rather than sending you back, making things insanely easy. The camera angle on 2 is annoying, as it always feels too far zoomed out, so you really can't see the action, and the voice acting actually took a nose dive in 2, with Arius and his laughable voice.
    The silver lining of the cloud is that what followed was 3, which is probably the best one. Overall, you're paying a low price, for 3 games, one of which is mediocre, and they'll last you longer than most modern games, and remind you what was lost with the new reboot game.

8/10 -2 for Devil May Cry 2.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    2 of the greatest action games ever made (and one really bad one) for less than half the price of a new game. Outside of a few tiny emulation issues, you owe it to yourself to play these game if you have any interest in the genre. Perfect for those new to the series or those on a nostalgia kick.
  11. Sep 5, 2013
    Devil May Cry HD Collection is a must-have for every DMC fan. Two great games (also DMC2) in one package makes this a very good deal. However, if you've played the first or third installment of Devil May Cry already, you'd save more buying the other one by itself.
  12. May 1, 2012
    I've played all DMCs from Normal all the way through Dante Must Die mode, unlocking everything, S ranking everything, etc. I had to buy this game. DMC1 was great, 2 sucked, 3 was AWESOME. This is a faithful port with sharper aliasing and character models, but the same old pixelated textures. For hard-core DNMC players, this is a must. It's worth it to get both good games, the graphicI've played all DMCs from Normal all the way through Dante Must Die mode, unlocking everything, S ranking everything, etc. I had to buy this game. DMC1 was great, 2 sucked, 3 was AWESOME. This is a faithful port with sharper aliasing and character models, but the same old pixelated textures. For hard-core DNMC players, this is a must. It's worth it to get both good games, the graphic update, and the ability to play on a newer console. If you haven't played the old DMCs, I don't think this is for you, I would recommend Bayonetta instead. It's made by the same guy who originally created DMC and is the true, spiritual "sequel" to DMC. It's basically the much improved, current gen version that DMC4 SHOULD have been. You might like DMC 3, but the graphics are REALLY dated, and the controls of 1 and 2 are also quite dated. Expand
  13. Feb 11, 2013
    I have to admit I've never played a DMC game before this collection... WHAT WAS I THINKING!? Long story short, you play as Dante; a demon slayer with a wiseass attitude. As the son of a mythical demon named Sparda who sealed the demon world away from humanity, you embark on various missions to rid the human world of anything that would threaten it.

There's a lot to say about this

There's a lot to say about this collection, but I'll keep it short. DMC1 was a game i didn't want to put down. It had a creepy old castle to explore and cool weapons to find scattered around and really has a sense of tense atmosphere as you wander corridors and wonder what's behind the next door. Boss battles are a frequent thing in the DMC universe and they work brilliantly!
    DMC2 was a slight let down when it came to story, and its open spaces made battles feel less 'epic'. I was also saddened by the loss of speech from Dante who seems to have lost his ability to make comments throughout.
    DMC3 however made up for the disappointment of #2 by giving us a Dante, more weapons, better bosses and a much better story that was easier to follow than DMC2. My only negative comments are that, at times, I found the game to get quite repetitive. Also, awkward camera angles sometimes mean the difference between life and death and often led to me missing an attack and having to restart the boss battle....

Like I said, there's lots to say that I can't fit into this short review, which is a shame because I loved this collection! For fans old and new, this is a must buy! From hack and slash lovers to those looking for a new series to follow, this appeals to everyone! Devil May Cry HD Collection gets a great 7 out of 10
  14. May 30, 2013
    If you're a DMC fan, this is definitely for you. Getting all 3 of the DMC games is wonderful and is priced at a very good deal, but just because you get more games doesn't mean they're all good. Now, I'm not saying DMC is bad, but if you play all of them in a row, it gets a bit repetitive. They're not bad games, they just don't have the greatest pacing in game history, but this isIf you're a DMC fan, this is definitely for you. Getting all 3 of the DMC games is wonderful and is priced at a very good deal, but just because you get more games doesn't mean they're all good. Now, I'm not saying DMC is bad, but if you play all of them in a row, it gets a bit repetitive. They're not bad games, they just don't have the greatest pacing in game history, but this is definitely worth checking out. Expand
  15. Feb 4, 2014
    All three PlayStation 2 Devil May Cry titles are given a HD makeover and certainly look all the better for it. As for the games themselves none, aside from arguably the third iteration, really hold up to modern standards (Most people will say DMC 2 was never any good anyway!) and so I wouldn't really recommend this collection to anyone that hasn't played the games previously. For fans ofAll three PlayStation 2 Devil May Cry titles are given a HD makeover and certainly look all the better for it. As for the games themselves none, aside from arguably the third iteration, really hold up to modern standards (Most people will say DMC 2 was never any good anyway!) and so I wouldn't really recommend this collection to anyone that hasn't played the games previously. For fans of the series though this is as good a way as ever to replay an influential series Expand

1. Sep 17, 2012
    As it stands, Devil May Cry HD Collection is a solid package for action fans.
  2. Jun 10, 2012
    This collection is an easy recommendation for fans of the series, who will find it every bit as playable as (and far more attractive than) the PlayStation 2 versions-but it doesn't feel like a definitive edition of the games, and with its near-complete lack of a manual and insufficient in-game tutorials, it makes no effort to ease players unfamiliar with the franchise into the DMC world.
  3. May 16, 2012
    If you've never played these games before, having the first three titles all on one disk is very nice, especially considering the price point.