6.7

1. Aug 19, 2013
    Some 'critics' may write reviews panning Disney Infinity for its simplistic combat structure, the fact that you don't respawn elsewhere or a number of features they find inferior. What they do not acknowledge is one simple thing...this is not Forza, this is not COD, this is not whatever other specialty game you may use as a benchmark to review this franchise on.

Repeated Skylanders
    ripoff references are extremely foolish as well. By that logic, everyone using a computer right now is ripping off Xerox. Its patently absurd. Pun intended. For one to assume that Disney, with arguably the most identifiable characters in the world, in volume and in stature, would use its leverage by creating a toy based strategy is just silly.

Disney Infinity is an extremely thoughtful, well crafted and fun game. And thats without even touching the toy box. It is not difficult to play, has solid narratives through out each world, which, in and of themselves feel like different games, if not for the overarching style they chose to go with. Additionally it is easy to engage with even if a child is unable to physically play the game.

Im looking forward to going home later to play this with my kids as well as the future offering they are no doubt preparing for the coming months.
  2. Aug 19, 2013
    Sure, the game might seem like an overpriced, overhyped, waste of time, but it's actually pretty damn fun. At first glance it appears to be a cheap cash in on Disney's front, using the mega success of the similarly toy themed Skylanders. But it really has very little in common with the Skylanders than previously assumed. In fact it shares more in common with a classic RPG game and a mix between Little Big Planet and Minecraft. I must admit that the whole game is charismatic. I found myself in love with many of Disney's less classic, one of my only issues with the game was the lack of the original Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse, Maleficent, Cinderella, characters once again. The world building in the Toy Box mode was enjoyable, but some of the world building tools could have been dealt with much better as building terrain can become tiresome and incredibly difficult. It leaves me wondering if I struggled to get a hold of it, then how would the kids the product is aimed at fair?
    Despite some issues, the game is still a ton of fun and the figures are well crafted and highly collectible. The pricing seems steep with some of the individual figures, but most of the packs are actually good value. The Toy Box mode presents challenges yet is still effective in what it tries to achieve, the RPG elements of the game, the 'play sets', are hours worth of fun in large, open-world areas with plenty of jobs and activities to complete. All in all it's a good, fun game that's worth purchase.
  3. Aug 21, 2013
    Disney does it again with Infinity

What have they done again? Well they've created a fun game for parents and kids to play together. They've created a system even my 4 year old can understand. What they've most done though is create a cash printing system that only a media conglomerate like Disney could.

For those of you who don't know Disney Infinity builds off of Avalanche's
    earlier work on the Toy Story 3 video game. The concept is simple, let kids play with toys inside a video game. To make it more of a "game" each "play set" comes with a game world based on the toy's IP. So for instance if you have Mr. Incredibles the play set he comes from allows him to play game levels inside the Incredibles movie setting. Because the game's concept is playing with toys within the game it allows them to have any character from any brand Disney owns.

Think about that for a moment. ANY Brand Disney Owns. Yeah...

If that wasn't enough Disney is also good at the "follow-up" sales. That is, the idea of "sure you can get by with just this, but you really want all this stuff too." Just like the app stores make people stick with a single brand of device, Disney Infinity wants you stay in their system and they're going to give you lots of reasons of continuing to put money into their system and here's how:

1. New Characters. This is the most apparent method but also the best leveraged one. By having all these chests in game that can only be opened by other characters you get the kids to want to buy these other characters. Better yet, instead of just saying, "Hey you need Dash to open this chest" by pressing the open chest button the kid is shown a video of the missing character in action. Built in commercials of upcoming and available products!

2. Power Coins. These little POG sized discs each offer lots of accessories and "vanity options" like you would find in a Free to Play game. They are totally optional but they are also sold in blind packs like trading cards. This means people buying packs (instead of buying from some other service or trade) will have to buy several packs to find just what they want. At $6 for 2 in a pack, that's a good chunk of change there.

3. Play sets. Every franchise they want to give the "full" experience to will have its own little "expansion pack" worth of gameplay by buying a 2 character play set pack that unlocks new gameplay options. For instance if you want to play in the old west and ride horses you'll buy the Lone Ranger pack (and try and offset that horrible movie's cost) or if you want to race even more cars buy the cars pack.

4. Finally, and possibly the most devious way they're going to make money is the in game library. See there are thousands of fun things to build with and play around with in the toy box mode of the game. Many of these come in from the various play sets you buy separately, others show up with the coins, but most are unlocked by leveling up the various characters. Instead of letting you choose what you unlock though Disney's devious creators put in a randomizer system.

For instance, say you want Scrooge McDuck's money bin (like me) instead of just leveling up Mr. Incredible and unlocking it, I go to the "toy vault" and then randomize the 16 random unlocks until I see the money bin. Then, ONCE per level I "spin" for a chance at the Money Bin. Yep, you did that math right. I get 1 per level to unlock any 1 of 16 or so randomly chosen items. In my case instead of the Moneybin I unlocked princess costumes for the little "background" toys that wander around. Yeah, not what I wanted and I have to level up any character again to get another shot.

So yeah, with the base set you'll get 90 unlocks many of them "wasted" on things you don't want. So you'll end up with a very random toy box (which makes sense on a level since toy boxes tend to be pretty random) that, just like a real one, often leaves you looking for that "just one more" piece. For instance I have 2 of the 3 parts of the castle in Aladdin’s Agrabah. So it looks MOSTLY done but it's missing the outer walls which looks odd. Plus everything is on fairytale grass no sand unlocked yet. Not quite what I'm looking for for a "coherent" experience.

That said, does my daughter care? Nope. I mean c'mon I just built a 20 story tall floating island rope climb with Cinderella's castle on top for her to jump off of. She doesn't care what it LOOKS like, Yet. :)

Between the in game advertising of new characters (like the girl from the recently announced movie Frozen) as well as characters you might be waiting for (Wreck it Ralph and Vanelope) plus fun little extras the game is setup to make you spend more money to get the full experience. Can you get by on just the base set? Of course. But you'll be missing things and see what you COULD get if you bought just a little more. It's many of the bad things from Free to Play in a Pay to Play package. If you are not already
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    First off some of the critics of this game must not have children or have lost the child in their hearts. I have spent hundreds of dollars looking for a game for my five year old daughter. I bought this game for her and I (don't tell mom) I told my daughter she was going to get a new toy and gave her a pack of the power-ups. Extreme disappointment ensued. After she wondered what i was thinking for a bit I pulled out the starter pack. She thought it looked like a boys game and I told her to give it a chance. Within an hour we were back at the store getting a couple of the Incredibles and the Cars starter pack.

I have been playing games for 25 years and I have never seen a kid so engulfed in a game. The age gap in entertainment value is astonishing. Basic game play without harsh consequences for falling apart (not dying).

It is going to cost some money ,but if you are looking for a game to thoroughly have fun with a child I would highly recommend this game. Mom, daughter, and I all laughed and had a great time while playing this. We don't need super crazy graphics and over-the-top button combinations to have a good time gaming and this game shows us why.

The toy box mode is unbelievable you get to construct a world from your children's' dreams and then interact with it. I have only scratched the surface of this game and cant tell you how much fun you will have with a little one or two!
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    I wanted this to be a great game for my kids and I to play. However, we found ourselves frustrated at the constant barriers blocking us because we don't own ALL the necessary figures to gain access to large parts of the game experience. My kids were disappointed that they were constantly being blocked access to the game at just about every turn.
    The cost of the game is WAY too high. Be
    ready to fork over $200+ just to open up enough of the game experience to feel like you've seen most of the worlds. It's just not worth that much money. Expand
  6. Aug 25, 2013
    If you have kids aged 4 and upwards and they like gaming, they will love Disney Infinity. I've become really annoyed with the some of the poor 'professional' reviews of this game. Some of the criticisms levelled at it have been really unfair, and even a bit sad.

The first is that the product is only out there to make money and try to get some of that NFC dollar that Skylanders raked
    in. I don't see a problem with this. If you saw a successful business model and had the capacity to emulate it with a AAA quality product, why not do it? It's just business.

And while it may be true that some of the character positioning is cynical, nobody is being forced to buy every last toy associated with it. Added luxuries like the Mater to add to the Lightning McQueen and Holly that you got with the Cars playset make excellent suggestions for friends and relatives looking for gift ideas around birthdays/xmas.

Disney Infinity is also a very honest game. It doesn't promise anything that it doesn't deliver and it doesn't go heavy on the 'look what you could be playing' element either. There's no carrot dangling behind an outstretched empty hand, palm up.

The saddening element of some of the reviews is that younger children can't be left alone with it, and need help with various aspects of the Toy Box creation Mode, for example. Why is this a negative aspect? Why are points deducted because you have to sit with your little son/daughter and discover this amazing world together? It's horrible when you think about it.

Disney Infinity is a great game, quite unlike anything you've played before, especially when the toy box is taken into account. My two little lads have been blown away by it, and it's made the whole family laugh at some points. It's genuinely good, old fashioned, charming entertainment.
  7. Aug 24, 2013
    Love this game I started the game..and after a few minutes i got addicted to this game..kept playing..The game has good graphics but not very detail. The scenery/surroundings has wonderful graphics.The characters are fun to play with This games is worth buying..
  8. Aug 25, 2013
    Firstly, the toys are really awesome. They look and feel great. I was sceptical of their price point at first, but the figure is worth it. But it doesn't seem like much data is saved on them. They have character levels (which don't do anything), but there are no individual items or skill sets, so the toys feel like they're keys you're obliged to use to unlock enjoyment. You soon find that putting your own Jack Sparrow on the portal is identical to putting ANY Jack Sparrow on the portal, and then some of that fun and wonder of your toy coming to life slips away.
    Annoyingly the special unique powers that characters would normally get from levelling up are in the form of physical disks. For those not in the know, power disks are small disks that unlock power-ups or items when placed on the portal. That you have to buy separately. In blind packs of two. For $8 a pop.
    The toys aren't so much 'in the game' as they are a not-particularly-subtitle paywall, blocking you from doing what you want to do in the game… which brings me to… The Toy Box.

There are hundreds of items that you can use, but you only get a handful to start out with. You have to unlock more by playing the play sets, doing challenges or levelling up. Except instead of items you get 'spins' which you spend these at a slot-machine that grants you a random piece to build with. You can control the randomness to some extent, but your dreams of building a castle may well be dashed as the curser passes over the bit you want and gives you a sidewalk instead.

Annoyingly, unlike Little Big Planet you can't unlock all the pieces just by playing around and using spins. Many of the best and most interesting pieces are unlocked by playing Play Sets, so if you're not planning on getting them all some of the best items will be forever denied to you.
    And even if you DO have all the Play Sets, many of the most significant items are hidden inside a vault requires every figure related to that play set before it will open, which furthers that nagging feeling that the toys are just keys.

Other items require a specific physical 'power disk' (in blind-buy packs again). So if you want to make a level themed around Wreak-it-Ralph or Nemo, you’ll need to buy blind packs of disks until you can find the little disks that unlock those items in the toy box. Oh, and if you like TRON, tough luck those disks were random draws in rare EB Exclusive packs.
    Building is fun, but it's just so aggravating how many pay walls you're constantly bumping into… and even the stuff that isn't pay-walled is handed out so inconstantly.

On to Play Sets, where you’ll find that only characters from the featured franchise can play, so you can't have the Lone Ranger running about Monster University you’ll need to buy more figures.
    Design wise thecontrols are quite complicated using all four face buttons, both sticks, both triggers, the right-bumper and the directional pad. When you factor in jumping and manual camera control, which is too much for younger kids.

While more complicated navigation will lock out younger players, older players will still be boarded to death by a game that offers exactly zero challenge. You have a health bar, but it's meaningless, as the only penalty for death is a 2 second animation. You don't have any downside at all.

The biggest crime of all is that the play sets just feel soulless. They don't have the same vibe as the source material; they feel slapped together for the sake of having a 'single player experience'. As gamers we all know that feeling it's the feeling you get when you play a rushed movie tie-in… the sort you stop half way through, because you just can't be arsed finishing it.

Bottom line, Infinity might be a fun construction set. Perhaps. I can't tell for sure, as it's hidden under layers of physical DLC, the necessary to play through dreadful single player campaigns and a unlock system that doesn't give you the items you need.
    I can't stress enough how awful the DLC/toy-unlock system for this game is. You need every toy if you want to experience the whole game.

I have a real problem with rating Infinity, because what are you actually rating?
    Do I score the Disney Infinity experience I am personally having (after spending roughly $180usd) with several character packs and an additional play set?
    Or are you rating the experience that a family will have with just the core pack no way to co-op the campaign content and with no way to access many of the key building blocks in Play Sets? Because that family will also have less chances to earn 'spins', thus locking them out of many of the key 'normal' pieces too.
    I feel like this is a product that will offer a lot of people a lot of fun… but you can't score it based on that, because not everyone will have access to that same experience after buying the game.
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    Stupid idiots made the 15 minute intro non by-passable. Makes the game a horrid experience and not worth anything. Intro's that cannot be bypassed and require user interaction to interact with it..... Who thought this was a good way to make people want to play the game? Boycott Disney crap, failtard company that has not had anything original in 60 years....
    Skylanders is a lot better.
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    Well, the game is fun. Especially with kids. I'll give it that. However, it fails on several key fronts:

First, there is no reason that this game should have been tied to a toy franchise. The toys merely unlock characters in the game. No significant data is stored on them, and leveling them up does nothing for the characters themselves other than incrementing a numeric value. From a
    collector's perspective or a child's perspective, it might be nice to have figurines to show off or play with, but from a gamer's perspective, this is an entirely egregious use of resources and a rip-off to boot. They could have made the same game without the portal of power knock-off and the toys that go along with it, charged less, and focused more resources on improving on the game itself, which is lacking, in the end. The Toy Story 3 game, which this one was clearly based on, was great, affordable, and provided fantastic game-play, both linear and open ended. Disney infinity is a stumble in the a half-right, half-wrong direction.

Second off, the creative toy box mode is extremely limited and totally buggy. You cannot fill your toy box with much before it maxes out and forces you to delete things if you want to add more. You cannot make any of it interactive beyond the built-in interactivity of the objects you place in it you can't create missions, or dialog, or set up any sort of logic-triggered events. Also, it often breaks. I often will place an object and want to move it around, but half the time the object becomes permanently fixed is space with no way to select it. This is one of several unacceptable glitches in this mode that make it frustrating more than fun, more stifling than freeing.

Finally, co-op presents many missed opportunities. I love couch co-op, I love playing video games with my kid. This one is pretty fun for a little while. Still, forcing you to buy more toys to unlock specific characters in order to even play co-op after you're already spent 70$ on the game is an insult. See, you can't bring characters from different movies into each others worlds. This right here is a huge missed opportunity for fun. What's more, there is no co-op specific content. There are no vehicles that can carry two people. There are no missions requiring two players, co-operation, or that particularly benefit from being carried out by two people other than you might finish them faster which means you likely have to split up anyways.

Again, it can be fun for kids. Disney Infinity is more creative than its obvious counterpart, Skylanders, provides more interest methods of travel throughout its worlds, and is a fine way to distract or spend an evening with your kid. But it doesn't really live up to its promises, and takes on the excessively wasteful and expensive baggage of real world toys without any clear reason or obvious benefit other than to make more money.
  11. Sep 4, 2013
    Although my kids and kid relatives loved Skylanders, Disney Infinity go the opposite reaction and even little kids could see it for the BLATANT CASH GRAB that it is. The game itself is pretty boring, but there are constant barriers and nags that tell you to "buy additional characters" seemingly at every turn. We all know Disney loves their money, but this is way over the line and instead of buying Disney Infinity, you might just want to mail them your wallet and paychecks to save time.

With Skylanders, in order to play the entire game, you might be in for maybe $80-$90 for the game/starting figures and the extra elemental characters you are missing, but if you want play actually play Disney Infinity, we're talking maybe $300 to start, and then maybe more for discs, add-ons, storage compartment, etc. It's as a bad a cash grab as I've ever seen in my life and I wonder if a "Credit/Debit Card Machine" was intended to be part of the game bundle. Or maybe as an add-on pack?
  12. May 10, 2014
    I can not believe that gaming has come to this. From just buying a game and UNLOCKING content to buying a game with in-game figures, with dlc and etc. This game however is well....FUN! The game will keep you busy with hours of content, extra side missions and the playsets are meh to ok. The problem with this game is that it is LACKING variety in Disney characters from the past and now. A Marvel update is awesome but it just seems way too soon for any fan of this game. The playsets are a mixed bag. It is fun but a little boring. I hope this game improves overtime and DOES not become a forgettable gimmick. The PC version is superior/ cheaper! It is a fun game, the toy box mode is it's saving grace and...well...that's it. I am more fond of Skylanders than this game. I just don't see any value in those EXPENSIVE figures/playsets. COME ON Disney Interactive. Yall are WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better than this! We really did not need the figures and the PC version proves that with it's virtual base. Try the PC version and you will be a lot happier. It is hard to recommend the console version because it is EXPENSIVE! I mean seriously? $13.99+tax to buy a @#$%^&( figure??? Really? When most Skylanders are $9.99? Really Disney Interactive? Really? Get it together and step up your game! Expand
  13. Aug 29, 2013
    I'm really not sure about this game i bought it, being really excited. And the intro to the game lived up to expectation being magical like Disney always is. But when i started to play the play set of M.U it started to get repetitive and boring. But the Incredibles is improving though. Also i found the Toy box not to be as good as I thought most of the stuff to make it an enjoyable experience is locked, making you have to buy more figures. But this game is very nostalgic and brings back great memory's. Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2013
    This game with the critics not liking this game much but is is awesome skylanders is not good even throw its fun and the toy box is the seller but its not confusing and kids will understand and the play sets are open world and custom stories but all together is more worth then skylanders so I would like 2 here your review
  15. Sep 29, 2014
    this game is fun in all, but you get bored with it easily and there is no story mode and you only just BUILD, BUILD, and BUILD! And why make a build game even thought you only have a certain amount of things you can place? And placing only one Disney castle takes up the haft of the build meter? Even placing bad guys takes up the meter? what is that all about?

1. Oct 21, 2013
    Disney Infinity is a candidate as a potential family hit of this year otherwise dominated by the launch of the new console.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    If it weren’t for the excellent Toy Box mode, the rating would be much lower, because provided adventures are disappointing. [11/2013, p.74]
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    Although fun, it'll only keep you entertained for infinity if you're happy to watch Mr Incredible beat up Aladdin guards for all eternity. [Issue#103, p.84]