5.4

1. Apr 21, 2013
    This is an amazing expansion pack. First off, Vergil plays very differently than Dante. Whereas Dante is a furious button pressing frenzy, Vergil's strikes are more deliberate and you feel like your in a more zen-like state. All this is achieved while STILL bringing the awesome, over the top style. It's a good few hours of gameplay and well worth the cash.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    I really liked the additional DLC. Much DLC feels like an expansion or annexe of the original game, however, this feels like a pseudo sequel which some will hate and some will like. I have no real idea what the obsession with the plot is in DMC. Some people think they are missing out on a stellar story line that continues from where DMC4 left off. Seriously, can anyone tell me what the hell this amazing story i am missing is? I have played all Devil May Crys and this is the first one ever to make sense. The others are so contrived and full of holes that you can't make head nor tail of them. Seriously WHY does Dante own a shop? WHO is Nero and why has he got Dantes powers? What the hell is the whole Trish/Gloria thing about... anyway on with the review... Hopefully people can stop worrying about the combat as it is quicker and more difficult; I would assume this is to please the 'die hard fans' but it is still accessible. The story is fine and the art work is as great as DMC... fully worth the price of admission. Collapse
  3. May 2, 2014
    In an ironic sort of way, dante appeared to play like a frenzied button mashing centric character, but was at his strongest when you used his various abilities to perform setup combos that looked amazing when you pulled them off.
    conversely, vergil's style at first appears methodical, even downright hard to make use of, but once you unlock all his abilities you'll find out that, thanks to
    his ability to cancel out of EVERY move, he actually plays at his finest when you're going balls to the wall with the controller buttons.
    just be sure to offer them a cigarette after you're done.
    vergil's downfall is in many ways, the opposite of DmC, from the plot, to the level design, notice I said OPPOSITE not bad, that's because the quality is still there, but they went in the furthest possible direction away from dante in terms of design.
    Vergil's downfall, once you figure out how to play him properly, is among the most fun i've ever had watching vergil be on ten different places onscreen at once, all before I even managed to get ahold of doppelganger.
    from an action standpoint, vergil takes control of a fight by overpowering it with his insane mobility and use of "just charge" or "perfect slice" attacks which essentially amount to a winning juggle button. don't get me wrong, it still takes skill to play him, but you'll find yourself using atomic or solar flare more often than you realize you should because it launches an entire wave into the air.
    couple this with the versatility of the character's movement system, such as sword teleporting, and the ability to embed teleport swords into foes at the end of a combo in order to pull them in and keep it going, and you can spend days just stringing together nigh endless combos and just looking plain stylish 90 percent of the time.
    Devil may cry has always handled its difficulty in the sense that. you already have all the tools you need to defeat your opponents and get those s rankings, you simply aren't trying hard enough, and in both DmC and vergil's downfall, this rule holds true, despite the change in combat structure.
    downfall features a few new enemies, a darker storyline, and a track that sucks, sorry guys, it just doesn't differentiate itself.
    but the enemies are, for the most part, a nice addition.
    those wisps though? they can go to hel-
    I see what you did there NT, I see what you did there....
    If you don't mind this experiment in an altered devil may cry gameplay formula, then downfall will make you feel like a demon king in the making, just don't expect vergil to be a likable person by the end.
  4. Mar 7, 2013

1. May 9, 2013
    Great sequel-teasing final shot though. [June 2013, p.75]
  2. May 7, 2013
    For 720 Microsoft points ($9), DmC: Devil May Cry - Vergil's Downfall is a short but fun experience that does a good job of extending the main game and serving as a bridge for a possible sequel. The gameplay is a little different, and the weapon selection isn't as varied, but the challenge is just right, especially with its plethora of difficulty levels. While it won't convert those who hated the game or felt lukewarm about it, it's a worthy piece of DLC for everyone else.
  3. Mar 22, 2013
    Fresh combat and stylish visuals make Vergil's Downfall a fun addition to DmC: Devil May Cry, despite a less-than-stellar story.