5.0

1. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Playing this games feels like reading a furry fanfiction, a bad one, it´s that bad.
    Vergil kills a pregnant woman for christ´s sakes, and he's not even the bad guy.
    What the heck where they thinking?
  2. Jan 16, 2013
    ....do I even need to explain how HORRIBLE this game is? The story is horrible, The Final Boss battle was a disappointment, Crapcom and Ninja Theory being **** The graphics are par at best, and [Most of] the characters in DmC are unlikable. However, the only characters that took my interest were Kat and Phineas, everyone else were either Sadistic or plain uninteresting. The Gameplay is HORRIBLE, why the F*** is there no manual lock-on function to perform better, more agile, combos with your weapon set? And why did they use the Unreal Engine instead of a MT Framework system? Makes no god-damn sense.
    superninjatam and alex jones insulting the original DMC fanbase, these so-called "reviewers" being bribed to PRAISE THE LIVING S*** out of this game, and insulting us even further by adding a Easter Egg of DINO looking at a mirror with Original Dante's wig during the 1st mission while DINO goes on and says, "not in a million years" before throwing it to the ground.
    ...To be honest, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance, which will be release next month, feels more like a Devil May Cry game than this piece of F****** S***.
    I'm glad I've listen to my wallet, my peeps, and Main Event about this atrocious game.
    Saved $60+
    ...One more thing, you'll have to wait next month for Vergil's Downfall to be released for those who bought this damn game.
  3. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels.
    10/10.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is NOT good, ok? Now that you understand this, please note that I'm not trolling, it's just that DmC really deserves this score. Yes, it is that bad, it's the worst game in the series.
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    First, they ruined Resident Evil and now they ruined Devil May Cry. Capcom will soon be out of business. It has nothing to do with nostalga, when a game takes 5 steps backwards in terms of game play. This is Devil May Cry for the Call of Duty generation.
  6. Jan 18, 2013
    First and foremost i have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first one so every time a new DMC game was being released i got hyped over it. Now since this reboot, my biggest fear was that the gameplay won't live up to its predecessor, i did not care if he had white hair or not that wasn't my main concern of this reboot. It was the gameplay that made me love this series so much because it was innovative. Now with this reboot i felt like the series has taken a step back in terms of gameplay. It's not as deep or complex as the ones before it and i found it to be very repetitive and lacking innovation from previous games. Also the story and the characters in this game are very childish and immature. I have nothing against violence and offensive language or even nudity in video games when it is done right, but in this game it's way over the top and very excessive that it seems to me that this game was developed by a bunch of immature emo screamo gothic teenagers. I am very disappointed in Capcom for approving this game as a reboot thinking that us Americans and Europeans are into childish and immature themes of this game, and thinking that will be all over it.... Expand
  7. Jan 18, 2013
    The game design is most annoying. Several issues with the PS3 version. General lack of purpose feeling while playing. Tons of explosions, nudity, but not a deep history.

Those are just a few of the flaws that plagues this title. I used to like CAPCOM because it wasn't trying so hard to please "Western" gamers. They are just making a fool of themselves in the process. If for CAPCOM the
    above flaws reflects the "Western" desires, then by no means I am a "Western" citzen. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2013
    Ninja Theory has been known for her writing,ha,ha,ha where?Because in DmC Devil may cry They failed big time,story is not interesting.The ending can be seen a mile away.Cutscenes are done with no imagination compared with the DMC 3 and 4, they are ridiculous.Weapons terrible,lack of diversity.Styles there is non,no lock on.The verdict, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    This is my second review. First I wrote right after i stop playing so now i wanna share what i think. First of all Dante was a half human and in this game his no longer partly human, the scene when vergil shoots lilith is ofending! And the wig joke is a middle finger to all the fans who love and care for dmc games. The graphics is worst than dmc 4, The colour saturation is bad.. And the good reviews from "proffesional critics" are the biggest mistery to my since the birth of life.. Proffesional critics call me maybe hater or fanboy but im not a hater.. in fact I love the series in this game is simple a mix of ninja gaiden 3 and Heavenly Sword with DMC sticker..and its a bad mix.. I hope that someday we get a proper devil may cry 5.. Its not completely bad game but its VERY bad dmc game. For the first time my dissapoint was so big that its forced me to get a metacritic account and share my sandess and anger.. RIP Dante Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    Devil may cry is not a terrible action game in fact it's a bit Better than most, however the story is god awful with no substance to it, and when compared to the older DMC games it's utter garbage
  11. Jan 17, 2013
    Haha yet another disastrous game! I love seeing the polar opposite opinions of critiques and the people who know what there talking about.. anyway who cares its all about the dollars! yee ha! ninjadoll your a disgrace your score belongs in the critic section not the users...
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    This is not the game you might be expecting.
    Perhaps you were eager to get your hands on this game because of its title. "DEVIL MAY CRY", it says, claiming to be a part of the superb franchise that revolutionized hack and slash gameplay and set the standard for 3D action games since its debut. This game brought this revolution to a full stop and instead chose to dumb down the complex
    combo mechanics that its prequels have perfected over the years.

'Streamlined' is the right word to describe the gameplay offered in DMC. Linear corridors, nearly broken combo mechanics that offer up infinite attack strings early on in the game, and a story that is either predictable or just horrendously insulting to the player. You will see very grotesque imagery throughout your playthrough (starting at the main menu screen) and dialogue that is downright juvenile.

If you yearn for a well designed hack and slash game, don't get your hopes up with this one. It is playable when it comes to mechanics, but the real problem is being able to actually endure the dialogue and imagery that the designers of this game seem to consider artistic.
  13. Jan 17, 2013
    Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Combat is totally basic, even a child can play it and go carnage, but does a child actually knows anything bout gameplay? The lack of Lock On is terrible, basicly you'll hit what the game WANTS you to hit, not what you do, the moves are also few, they might look like a lot, yet it might be even less than Nero
    had back at DMC4' time. Enemies are few, you'll face the chainsaw dudes and the flying babies to everywhere, and the other enemies are pretty much derived versions of them. The bosses here are pathetic, they're slow and predictable, but not in the usual way, you just know what they gonna do before they actually do it, a terrible thing for an action game. Guns are useless, just to say, the sole reason you can't go single move spam with whatever weapon is that some enemies requires a certain weapon to be defeated... A totally lame thing for an action game.

So far the game gave me no reason to thing it is good, I saw a total noob playing and in less than 15 minutes he totally owned the three first missions without a single retry, he just got there and destroyed everything without problem...

And now for the story... Just think about a hollywood movie, there' DmC for you, there is NOTHING original there, everything has been done before and will be done again, the cutscenes are just useless, they don't give you important information, or awesome moments, it is just a sequence, usually long and pointless, you know what will happen when you see it, 'cause it has been used many many times already... Shakespearean story? Shakespeare would laugh at it...

Want to play it? You'll waste your time, get Anarchy Reins or even better, wait for Metal Gear Rising.
  14. Jan 16, 2013
    The story is very Bad..Game Play is very Bad. Auto Lock on System is Very Bad. It make You will can't control Target. Attack Range is Very Far. It make u can't Combo 3 Enemies in the Same time. Boss Fight is Very Boring. The Last Boss Vergil in DmC is very Slow and Vergil 's Skill is very Easy to Evade..
    And Its Cutsence....I can't Belive This is DMC if I see Cutsence intro. In game has
    Sex Sense of Mundus....It make me Sick...I hate NT Expand
  15. Jan 17, 2013
    This is flat, simple game without soul. They kill beatyfull game series. Music bad, gameplay boring(2 buttons to get SSS), bad interface. Maybe, if this game not been DMC(What means Devil may cry), maybe it been not so bad.
  16. Jan 17, 2013
    I was hesitant to get involved in the reboot DMC debate, as I personally detest it and others have made points about the game for me. However I was enraged to read certain websites slagging off the user metacritic overall opinion (slagging it off yet still reading and talking about it), acting high and mighty when in reality they are merely one set of trolls against another set on Metacritic who set up new accounts just to slag this game off! Though it doesn't surprise me these high and mighty sites and their following do not actually question the 'professional' review scores, or question industry corruption like 'Doritos-gate' for example whilst happily receiving backhanders for positive scores!? Below I've listed the main reasons why I detest this game and hope Ninja Theory never makes a game again!

1) The Art work is terrible, it's a mishmash of dull orange and psychedelic colours. This new Dante, Vergil and Cat were designed to attach younger urban punk people to play the game. This look has zero appeal to me, and obviously many others.
    2) The dialogue and plot are abysmal, truly lame brained juvenile nonsense. Yet those who defend this game call those who point this out as juvenile, ridiculous! Yes the previous games weren't exactly War and Peace, but they had 100% more character than this.
    3) The themes like the half Angel stuff and media control are actually quite offense to those with Religious/Moral views! I really dislike Ninja Theory and their view of lifestyles, and am absolutely livid they incorporated that into the game. I play games for relaxation, not to have 'saucy' Angels (God forbid) rammed down my throat! The media control stuff makes me laugh, as again the same people who are slagging the hardcore fans off for hating this game will happily believe their governments lies in the media, please reference the Iraq war or WMD's or the economic crash etc. Pot, kettle, black.....

Anyway they are the main reasons why I detest this game, and the uproar that has unfolded has made me realise that there are many trolls and people with no morals or ideals of their own, and that truly is the scary thing!
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    you really have to be objective and take this game as its own brand because it is NOT the same devil may cry that being said its a great game a bit short.....and starting on the hardest unlocked difficulty is a must if you have beaten a DMC game before. most of these bad scores are from ppl looking for DMC 5, which this is not. its getting a 9 because there should defiantly b more baby killing
  18. Jan 17, 2013
    The bosses are now dull, character design has went down in quality and the combat system is "broken". For a Triple-A game, you expect quality. Instead, they took the approach of a "modern" story with terrible writing, and expect fans of the series to take it no questions ask. Everyone shouldn't wonder why this game is getting hate, there's a reason for it.
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    This game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ).
    And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that in
    the first 20 min u only want to kill him and his new partner is so weak that u cant just buy the rest of the history.

Congrats capcom you kill another great game you **** resident evil and now you are coming for Devil May Cry
  20. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a complete trainwreck since the beginning... I just can't sum up all the things DmC does wrong: slow and laggy gameplay, too easy enemies and bosses, unattractive character design, boring platforming, such an unoriginal story with a lame ending,and plot filled with disgusting and even offensive stuff... It just left a bad aftertaste; I really needed to replay DMC3 to get rid of the sensation of failure this game left in me...
    NT and Capcom hyped this game too much, and in the end it didn't deliver... DmC is a mediocre hack n' slash, and doesn't deserve the title of DevilMayCry.
  21. Jan 17, 2013
    Well, this is my review. I should note that I borrowed the game from a friend.

Story

I consider the story in this game to be mediocre at best as they could've done A LOT better considering the amount of potential this game had. Unfortunately, the writing was left in the hands of Ninja Theory...whose literary abilities are so good they had to hire outside writers for Heavenly Sword
    and Enslaved, and the writer for Heavenly Sword had to rewrite the majority of the script because it was THAT bad. Suffice to say I was genuinely disappointed with what I saw.

And let's face it guys, while the DMC games has never had a stellar 10/10 storyline...neither does this one.

Story: 4/10

Combat

For all of the defenders trying to shoot down the 'the combat is bad' complaints, I'm not sure what standards you're going by, but the standards of the series and the genre in general is far higher than what we got handed to us. It's watered down, boring combat that you could basically sleep through, not to mention the game was PAINFULLY easy even on the highest difficulties. Remember the Vergil vs Dante fight in DMC3? That was a thrilling, exciting and difficult battle. Vergil in DmC was incredibly easy, boring and slow paced, even on the highest difficulties. Not to mention the utterly pointless cutscenes that constantly came out of nowhere completely disrupting my pace. I also think the style system was completely casualized in this game. In the previous DMC games you had to actually switch it up, do different combos and improvise in order to increase your stylish rank whereas you only need to press 2 buttons (yes, really) in order to get SSS in this game.

Combat 3/10

Characters

This is the big one guys. I found most of the characters in the game to be mundane and bland and I didn't find myself liking anyone. Vergil is contrived and gives off this air of being an obnoxious wanker, and Dante is well...Dante. I feel like they couldn't settle for a character for Dante, was he and edgy "F*CK YOU" teenager? A kid with a rough childhood rising above it? An antagonistic douchebag? The answer is all of them, because they couldn't be concrete with him and his personality.
    I found myself not giving a dime about Kat or anyone beyond that, it felt like she was just there to drive the story forward and was generally useless except for intel gathering and withstanding torture.

Characters 2/10

Visuals

It's one redeeming feature. Except it's TOO DAMN RED. Everything is so much red it almost hurt my eyes. Graphics wise it's great and I never dropped below 30fps for me.

Visuals 7/10

Overall

Not only is DmC a poorly written game with cringeworthy dialogue, but it doesn't try and dial it back and go ''Hey, guys! We're MEANT to be corny and a parody!" it takes itself SERIOUSLY, which is laughable in of itself. Outside of the notable lines like 'wet chunks', 'f*ck you', 'you're an a*shole', etc, the dialogue is bland and monotone or just plain not interesting. Having gone through the entire game from start to finish, I never felt enthralled by anything that was going on and simply laughed at the idiocy that was going on in my television more than caring about the story or the characters.

I give it a 2 simply because some of the combos were fun, but that's it.
  22. Jan 18, 2013
    just so weird, it's look like demon don't know how to walk, even boss, boss, why are you so big and so easy to hit?
    Are you making Legend of Zelda?
    Hope DmC 2 will be better, NT will be better.
  23. Jan 19, 2013
    A friend sent this game to me after telling me bad it was, just to see for myself, and wow just wow, what was capcom thinking allowing Ninja theory to develop this game, they completely ruined the main character and his personality and made him in to some edgy little teenager designed to appeal to a more or less homosexual demographic and people who have not played nor care about the original Devil may cry. This game was no devil may cry, it may have had the same name but it was so far from the original Dante and gameplay. I really do hope that if capcom decide to make a real devil may cry, they give it to developers who actually liked the original series, it was very clear Ninja Theory absolutely hated Devil may cry and being the self righteous **** they are decided to say **** YOU to the fans and create the horrible piece of **** known as dmc 5 instead. Poor narrative, poor gameplay, poor everything. Video games need to be held to a higher standard, not this piss poor excuse for a game. DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME I REPEAT DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME!!! And here is hoping for a real DMC in the future! Expand
  24. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a horrible game. Here is a link why people dont like this game. A game is not made for old gamers this is like capcom is destroying there games. Use youtube and watch this vid watch?v=o4NaBrFkiDo this will show you why this game sucks in so many ways.
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    Why all the hate folks? It's not your usual Devil May Cry for sure. Capcom seems to be getting a lot of hate lately, some justified, some not. DMC is an effort to reinvent the series and getting Ninja Theory to do the game is a good move. The combat feels fluid and the production values great. So yeah, haters will always be haters. I am a big fan of the DMC series and I felt this is a shot of fresh air for the series. Expand
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    Well, just spent about two days playing this game, and I'm done. If this didn't have the name of a famous franchise no one would care, it'd be forgotten in weeks. The story feels like it was written by a teenager, the dialogue literally devolves into a comparison of penis size at one point. Beyond the story, the game play is extremely sub par. The game doesn't run at a consistent frame rate, which felt slow to begin with. Seems really off putting in a game that should have a focus on combat. Probably the most insulting part is the difficulty. Actually calling it difficulty is laughable. This game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being the most casual, easy, boring, button-mashing trash ever. The "hard" difficulty "Nephilim" is easier than the easiest difficulty in DMC3. It's easier than easy mode in **** God of War 3. "Son of Sparda" it advertises as something that will require skill! It doesn't require anything except the ability to recognize when one of the monsters is doing their extremely telegraphed (so telegraphed in fact that they LIGHT UP IN BRIGHT NEON LIGHTS when they are about to do it) attacks. Expect about 5 seconds to react to most enemies. Not even kidding, time it. One of the challenges I won by doing 2 attacks for 30 seconds. One, I would hold O to uppercut, and two, I would press O again to do a downward slash and then I repeated that until everything in the room was dead. It's not like that's even an isolated incident. Some moves provide so much invincibility that there's no reason to stop spamming, ever.

Long story short, I am beyond disappointed. I can't believe I ignored everything I heard about this game and gave it the benefit of the doubt. I thought good game play would make up for any other shortcomings it had and it never delivers. Don't waste you money on this. Rent it if you must sate your curiosity.
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a average game on whole. But from the DmC series we expected more. The plot came off as juvenile, the ending was laughably bad, the combat was fun but shallow compared to DmC 4, and it is also a much more easier game compared to the others. This game put more into advertising then actually game-play development and story. Sad to see a series like this come up with such a bad game.
  28. Jan 22, 2013
    I'm not going to lie i was one of the people who was angry when the new Devil May Cry was first shown. With that being said i think it the controversy really helped make the game as amazing as it is. The combat is very fluid and easy enough a new person to the series can enjoy it yet deep enough to keep the hardcore fans quite happy. The new Dante isn't our old favorite but he is a pretty close second i mean gone are the super over the top jokes and replaced with some great sarcasm that i found quite refreshing. The Story to the game is also pretty damn good, some people have complained that they made the story "Political and Anti-Business" well its just a game poking fun at our world. I think it has one of the better stories in the series rivaling DMC 3.

In the end no this ain't our old Dante kicking ass while being the BA MF we all know and love but man ninja theory did a great job with the series and in my honest opinion made the second best Devil may cry game yet. (Nothing can touch Devil May Cry 3 that game is a masterpiece
  29. Jan 16, 2013
    This was a fantastic game. I am not sure why everyone hates it so much. To me this sounds like a similar problem a bunch of children had with the ending of Mass Effect 3. DMC did a fantastic job in every aspect, people are upset with the contemporary setting and the short hair, get over it. DMC 4 did terrible and for good reason, it was washed up and nobody cared. Ninja Theory accomplished exactly what they wanted, people to talk about there game, no ink is bad ink in the review world. The more people that write bad reviews, the more hype the game gets. So in my opinion, keep the bad reviews coming because it is giving a great game more and more spotlight in the media. Congratulations Ninja Theory on the fantasmic-eye-candy-licious orgasm of the mind accomplishment that is DMC. Expand
  30. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    as bad as people claim this is they are blinded by nostolgia when it comes to the story, NONE of them had good stories, they were all cliched, the first one they crammed so many cliched plots into one... "you remind me of my mother, i love you now because we are both different and lone wolves. lets fly away into the sunset" as for the killing babies....the main character doesn't kill a HUMAN baby it was the son of the devil and a demon... if people are doing to nitpick at least be correct Expand
  32. Jan 16, 2013
    Ok so let me start of by saying I'm a huge dmc fan.I've played Evey game, saw the anime and read the manga. This game is a great addition to the series. The graphics are amazing, the game play is spot on. The level design is some of the best I've seen. Dante is Dante through and through. The game opens up as u play and one u beat it, he .. wait for it...has white hair. Don't listen to the so called fans of original dmc. This game is amazing I highly reccommend it to any action game fan. Stop reading and go buy it. Oh and son of Sparta mode after u beat it makes it even better. Expand
  33. Jan 16, 2013
    The new story makes sense it has an american feel to it and is not as hard to follow. The DMC of old had a story that would make you go cross eyed and questions that went unanswered. This story feels solid complete makes sense and makes you more emotionally invested in the character something the DMC of old was unable to do. There are things I didint like about some of the changes such as the gun models ect. But the reboot is going to keep the series alive and well and at the end of the day all i want is more DMC. Long live DMC Expand
  34. Jan 19, 2013
    This is a downgrade from the original series, very slow paced, removing the lock on bottom removed the ability to do more combos and there for removing the reason for the style meter which is broken, does not go down if you do not receive damage. Really neutral character design but worst dialog ever, just for that is under 5 out of 10, this is more insults than anything else, not funny at all and not cool. Lack of enemies on the screen, does not feel like is hard. Expand
  35. Jan 21, 2013
    How can anyone rate this game highly when it's gone backwards from previous DMC games? This reboot has failed to surpass previous DMC games and in it's attempts to be modern, it's ruined the DMC name.
    How can anyone enjoy a game with such sickening language at every turn and a truely awful storyline. The combat itself is slow and broken at times, thanks to the poor decision to use Unreal
    Engine instead of capcom's previously used MS framework - A poor decision by Ninja Theory. In short, this game will disappoint most original fans and will repulse new comers. Avoid this game like the plague. Expand
  36. Feb 1, 2013
    I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AS VERGIL!!!! In my previous review, I stated that the weapons are weaker. Well after trying this amazing game out, I found out that only the hand guns are weaker! Vergil is awesome by the way even though he has zero emotion towards everything else EXCEPT his brother! I may eventually end up buying it and adding it to my video game collection. This game was fun! 8/10!
  37. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It is almost on par with arkham city for action, I would say maybe 3rd in my book for story (behind chrono trigger and the original bioshock as the ultimate #1), but the story is great. Things are pretty well spelled out after the first few levels, but with a good twist at the end. I feel like it could've been done a bit better, but it is still leaps and bounds above the story of most games. Next, let me get onto the combat. Honestly, if you are on the fence, play the demo. The combat system is fantastic. If I had one complaint, it's that the dodge system feels just a little bit lacking compared to bayonetta, but it is all in all incredible. Once you think you have a perfect combo mapped out and perfected, a thousand other viable options become available. By the time you finish the game, you can easily see that you've got your work cut out for you. There are weapons and attacks for every play style here. Finally, the visuals. Absolutely breathtaking. Limbo contains more than a few memorable set pieces, and I was truly impressed with what they could come up with. I will admit, when they first talked of a reboot to devil may cry, I was a bit pissed. It looked like it was going to be a steaming pile of $&*%, but I am very happy to admit I was completely wrong. I have only played devil may cry 4, but from what I'm told, this is easily the best entry in the series. I can't recommend this game highly enough. Forget the 12 year olds on metacritic, this is a must buy. I'm a huge dead space and bioshock fan but I don't think I will be picking those games up until well after release because there is such a ridiculous amount of playback value in this game. Try the demo, if you like it, you will love the game. Trust me on this one Expand
  38. Jan 18, 2013
    User score is just plain insulting and undeserved for this game. 99% probably havent played the game at all or given it a fair chance. This game is solid on all areas, and deserves a fair score.
  39. Jan 21, 2013
    The best gameplay for a hack'n slash I ever seen! This game is perfect... A dream of gameplay... I don't finish it yet, but I played it for about 4 hours, and it's so amazing! I don't care if they changed Dante, because what's really matters is the DmC feeling. It's a Devil May Cry game, you can feel... The atmosphere is there... Don't be so blind!
  40. Jan 18, 2013
    Seeing how people are giving this game bad reviews makes me wonder if they actually played the game or they are fanboys that are upset because they "changed Dante." Relax, people! The game is indeed good! The visuals are impressively colorful, the combat is smooth and fast-paced, the voice-acting....well, some of the voice-acting is good to decent, the music fits the atmosphere, the character designs are good (making you feel like they are in a chaotic world), some of the one-liners in the game are actually good (when said right), the replayability is good (since you can go back with your abilities and find the secrets) and the story is somewhat interesting. But there are only three problems I can see when playing the game. One of them is the targeting system. When fighting a group of enemies, the game will target an enemy you didn't want to attack. It gets kind of annoying when you are trying your best not to die in the game. The second thing is the repetitiveness of levels. Don't get me wrong, the levels are colorful and impressive in every way, but sometimes I feel like the developers were copying some designs on one level and pasting them some others while giving them a different paint job. The final complaint is the voice of Dante. Portrayed by the actor, Tim Phillips, I was expecting for him to do a good job, but listening to him made me sigh with some discomfort. But when he says some one-liners, I chuckle every now and then, but hearing him swear over and over, it made me want to mute the TV. In short of the new voice, I only liked 30% of his dialogue, but wished that they used the person who voiced Dante in the anime series. At least that guy attempted to sound like Dante. In conclusion, the goods outweigh the bad and the game is a nice little change for the Devil May Cry series. But they should at least put Lady and Trish in it. Then it would have been even better. Expand
  41. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about d*mn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game.
  42. Jan 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story behind this game's development shows that we are facing something more important than a game. There are also things like ethics, good taste, education and professionality involved: none of them were used.
    For those familiar with the previous Devil May Cry games, this is a step back: a million-steps back.

-Gameplay- You have to face a completely redisegned layout, wich is both confusional and unpractical. There is no lock-on button. 2 buttons were wasted for the dodging. Some enemies may be attacked only by certain weapons. The styles of DMC 3 and 4 are gone (expecially gone is the "Royal Guard" moveset). The fights are too much and unfunny, giving the stages a sense of "being dragged too long". Most of the enemies doesn't have an aerial parry/dodge/block: so, at soon as you launch them in the air, they became completely helpless. No challange. -Boss fights- There are only 6 in the whole game, against the 13 of DMC1, the 14 of DMC3 and the 15 of DMC 4. All the bosses stand still with zero mobility. They usually remain dizzy for a long time after a few hits. Not challanging. They also talk for the entire fight: most of what they say is annoying or plain unintresting.

-Enemy design-
    The enemy design is unispired. Most of the "demons" just seem like robots came out of Enslaved (previous NT game). They use to be helpless as soon as launched mid-air. Every single one use to charge before hitting, giving plenty of time for the player countermove and erasing every difficulty or sense of danger. The Bosses are particularly ugly, resembling alien-monsters instead of majestic creatures as seen in previous DMC games.

-Graphics-
    Some landscapes are nicely done. Most of them are too much saturated and became annoying to the eye. The stages are most of the time messed up and they lack details. Indoor the rooms are always empty and there aren't intresting architecture in the game. The characters modelling is mediocre, with a special note for Mundus (particularly bad) and Lilith (her model is @ PS2 levels).

-Sound-
    The guns and swords sounds are weak and they make you feel like you are powerless. The soundtrack is decent but the lack of a recurring "fight theme" isn't good. -Story-
    The story is basically an emotionless and epicless version of DMC 3 mixed with the Mundus fight (DMC1). After completing the game one cannot ask himself what this reboot was needed for: the same story were told, and much better, in DMC 1 and DMC 3.
    The story is full of plotholes. -Characters-
    Dante: he is simply annoying. he's the less likeable characters of all, constantly calling the demons "pieces of **** "****-eaters", "fat-asses" and so on. The worste of him is during the Boss fight: before the battle is over you just want to mute the tv or throw the pad. Mundus: plain horrible. The former Mundus (DMC1) was basically a divinity, he was proud and noble, he did not swear and he considered the humans "useless beings". The new Mundus is some kind of wierdo wich likes to have sex with one of the ugliest woman in the universe (Lilith) and constantly talking about ripping out someone's heart. His motives are now inconsistent, considering the Sparda is just "guilty" of falling in love with an angel.

Lilith: horrible, rude, nasty, ugly. She is everything a character (good or evil) should NOT be. Kat: a decent character, she is basically the counterpart of Lady, but without badassery. Vergil: total disappointment. He is incredibly weak. He escapes with no reasons and is no more a cold, noble, character. He is not as bad as Dante, but as soon as you start thinking "oh well, at least he is classy" he throws a "i have a bigger dick" joke. The order: they basically don't exist. You see the base, 3 guys in the background and that's it. -The city as a danger-
    The city "wich want to kill you" is just a bunch of pre-scripted sequences. You can basically sit down while the walls are closing to crash you: they will simply stop. When you fall, you simply reappear back: no damage, no fights, no nothing. -Platforming-
    Basically you have to pull some platforms and jump on it. In some of the stages it is too much and became annoying. You get bored of it pretty soon.

-Dialogues-
    The lowest dialogues in gaming history. lot of unneeded swearing. enemyes taling about pucking on your face, pissing in your neck and ****ting on your carcass. Annoying, rude, horrible. Anyone should feel offended to be trated like this. All in all, this game rapresents the worst of the actual society. It is a poor manifestation of a japanese producer trying too hard to be western.
    It is the product of a desrespectful team (NT) wich trolled the entire fanbase (even during some scenes of the game).
    This is the destruction of quality .
    The triumph of desrespect.
    I bought the game faithfully and i regret it. Not worth 60 $: if you have taste and dignity, is not worth 1 cent.
  43. Jan 27, 2013
    When I first saw the trailer for the new Game i was disappointed With what Ninja Theory changed but I held on to the hope that they would excel at the one thing that the series is known for "The Gameplay" if they Fraked that up all the Hate wouldn't be misplaced, but Luckily the Action Measures up very well to the rest of the series even better in some ways, this game is much more approachable than any of its predecessors.
    "The Story" is the Generic "Dante must save Humanity from being enslaved by the Forces of Hell," nothing special.
    "The Presentation," this game runs on the Unreal Engine so there's alot of texture pop-in if you played Gears of War you'll know what i mean, the overall look of the game is awsome, all the combat take place in "Limbo," a world parallel to ours where the demons inhabit, where the Laws of Physics don't have meaning, making any area that Dante is dragged into Limbo from Interesting. "Overall" the Game is a Success, The characters may not be as likable than in the last games, but the Action & the Environments of Limbo are a solid step towards a bright future for the series.
    This is a safe buy... I give DMC: Devil May Cry an 8/10.
  44. Jan 20, 2013
    I actually enjoyed playing the game, the combat felt very smooth and first time in a hack and slash game my hand wasnt hurting from turning combos. The story had somethings that could have been done better, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Had some of the best level designs I have ever seen in a game, did not feel like anything was reused. Did I have problems with it? Of course, I thought the characters could have been done way better (seriously what happened to the smart ass Dante I came to enjoy). Why are there only 6 bosses in the entire game? If there were maybe 8 bosses in the game I wouldn't have minded as much, but 6 felt very underwhelming. Speaking of bosses, why the hell were they so easy? Hell the hardest boss in this game wasn't even as difficult as the easiest boss in any of the other DMC games. Even though I do have quite a bit of problems with the game, I did enjoy the game enough where I do recommend trying it if you are a fan of hack n slash, die hard fans of the series will be put off by how they characters are handled (seriously Ninja Theory you butchered Vergil and Dante). Expand
  45. Jan 28, 2013
    Pure action gameplay. Oddly, It reminds me of Final Fantasy X where all actions serve a particular purpose, and usually thats not a good thing, but the game has a way of making you remember what does what and it really becomes second nature. It's a wierd comparison but it's true nontheless. There's some camera issues, and more importantly way too much platforming. You could almost call this a platformer. And this brings it down a full grade easily. What a dumb decision. Dante's new look is nowhere near the problem that the amount of platforming is. Expand
  46. Jan 17, 2013
    From a neutral standpoint you probably either think that anyone who doesn't think the game is awesome is just another "hater" who spends all day complaining about hair, or that this reboot is the worst game ever depending on who you listen to in this complete mess of a marketing campaign. Its hard to find a truthful and educated opinion from either sides in this internet slug fest, Capcom and Ninja Theory have been bashing anyone with a difference of opinion and trying to discredit them, while some of fans of the original DMC have been spending all day on the forums of Capcom and even giving death threats. I am a huge fan of DMC 1 and 3, DMC in particular is a high standard in the genre which i do not think has been met to this day, but when i first heard of the idea of a reboot my mind was actually open to the idea if it could be done right, but when i saw the trailers it didn't really interest me, but i didn't bash the game in the youtube comment sections, although i was disgusted with the way Capcom and Ninja Theory dealt with customers. What I am trying to say is that I am a DMC fan that came in with a open mind to this new reboot. I have played it solidly for the last week after renting it out and have not been overly impressed with the title, The game isn't bad but it isn't good either it instead is a completely mediocre game that you should have no problem leaving on the shelf at your local game store. The biggest thing holding it back is its sluggish frame rate, you simpally cannot make 30fps look like 60fps, Even more problematic is that the frame rate drops from 30fps to 20fps or even lower than that in my own experience, which seems unacceptable for dmc which has always run at a solid 60fps since DMC1. Also the combat seems incredibly basic and uninspired, Removing the lock on means removing directional inputs which results in a very small move set for Dante in this new DmC, not only that but it also means the combat is imprecise making it a guessing game whether or not you grapple or shot, swing or stab etc. Not that it really matters if you screw up your moves because the enemy AI is some of the worst i have ever seen in any game in the genre, the ai in this game is very close to DMC2 and that is not a good thing. Most enemies just stand there in combat very rarely swinging with a very slow and easily avoidable attack, the same can be said about most of the games bosses. Even on low difficulties a complete noob could finish this game without dying once. Take myself for instance, i beat this game 3 times in a single weak, i even managed to beat the game on Dante Must Die Mode without dying once, and this is not because im a master at DMC games, I'm pretty dam noob at DMC 3 and 4. But even DMC3 special edition on easy is harder than son of sparda mode on this reboot. The game is to short, it took me just over 10 hours on my first try and even less on my second and third. I found that the only reason the game is as long as it is, that is because of the platforming sections. These sections may look cool but add no real gameplay to the game at all, these sections are way too slow, you could walk most of the platforming sections and still survive, they are there purely to pad the games length and they put heavy restrictions on player by forcing them down a linear path. This isn't the only place were the game is linear though, several enemies can only be killed by one particular weapon, removing player choice from combat, this is dull and boring its as if the developers want everyone to play the game the exact same way and hold our hands throughout the whole game. Maybe because if we played the game a different way the game would glitch out, because the game did so for me many times, several of the glitches forced me to quit the game and start the level over, and i wasn't looking for glitches which is what most Capcom fanboys will say to defend the game. The style meter is now a complete joke, all you need to do to get SSS style is use the demon dodge once then swing the red axe and boom, in one combo you are at SSS, once your there just dont get hit and the style doesn't drop, which you can do easily with a attack you use that keeps you in the air, and drags enemies off the ground into the air with you, there is no longer any skill required to get SSS style. And the thing which Ninja Theory fanboys claimed their favourite developer would destroy the old developers at is story. To my surprise Ninja Theory screwed this up so bad, Previous DMC titles had the story line of a b grade action movie, cheesy but still enjoyable because of how over the top and stylish it was.This new DmC story is more like a 13 year old boy trying to write an edgy story but ultimately just trying to hard to be cool.Dialogue mainly consists of swear words, bad sex jokes, and the new Dante thinking he's awesome when really he is just a douche. The same can be said about most of the characters.No time to cover graphics and sound Expand
  47. Jan 16, 2013
    Regardless of the fanatics, who can only be satisfied when developers regurgitate the same game repeatedly for decades, DmC stands as an accomplishment by every unit of measure. The fact that Capcom even attempted to innovate on this title is remarkable and is to be commended. DmC expands a space previously reserved exclusively for the most extreme of the hardcore. The Devil May Cry series originated in a different era and for as good as that game was during its generation, the market and the audience is vastly different today then it was back then. Unlike DmC's predecessors, this game is simple to play, yet difficult to master.

It's narrative is compelling, interesting, and witty. The action is engaging without being cumbersome, and most importantly it's fun as HELL. If you like action games, particularly Bayonetta or earlier Ninja Theory games, this title is a must own. Do yourself a favor and dismiss the crybabies or you might just miss out on a legitimate 2013 game of the year contender.
  48. Jan 16, 2013
    The games story is overall boring and uninteresting, but the characters, the bosses, the level design is very good loving the art style too. The combat while not as deep as the others is very fun and still has a deep level you can take it too. Even the platforming type sections with the whips is fun, to the point were i feel like spiderman. exploration, hidden keys, collectibles this feels like a DMC. i really like the passing of the levels they way it changes in real time, the addition of the training mode is good aswell. I dont think its the best DMC but by no means is it the worse. Give it a shot and you may like it Expand
  49. Jan 16, 2013
    this game is awesome. I have played all of the DMC games, and over the years, this franchise grew stale and i completely lost interest in DMC. after DMC4. Dante felt old, tired and i preferred Nero over Dante because his demon arm felt so much fun to use and pull off combos with. Dante of DMC4 was not cool and i dreaded switching back control to Dante.
    This reboot is what the franchise
    needed. It grabbed my interest and made me more of a fan than the last 4 games ever did. The acting and mocap is superb, graphics and design is awesome. the old dante is dead. Ninja theory did a great job. Way to show Capcom how devil may cry should be done. Expand
  50. Jan 19, 2013
    I'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view. For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying from various places, with beautiful colors. The combat is very easy to pick up and play, you can have fun creating combos, unlocking abilities, using the grapple in the platform stages, etc. The game follows the typical structure of video-combat-platforms-video again... the platforms are entertaining at first, and in some points of the later game, but in general their only purpose is to attach one combat with another while you unlock some secret stuff if you look around. The combat can entertain you the whole game because there are a lot of options creating combos but beware, the enemies are very easy to kill. The storytelling is well made, not complicated, not free of cliches but you may be interested on how it goes, and there are a few moments of the game very very well made, with lots of effort in them, but with places where it feels a little rushed. I would only recommend it if you really like what you have seen in videos and gameplays, if you are new to the hack and slash you will enjoy it, but consider that the replayability isn't the strong point in DMC, so you should consider rent it first. For the Devil May Cry fan: The Ninja Theory work is appreciated in the sense that they had the task of making the game dumbed for the masses (as Crapcom conditioned them for sure), changing Dante, and the mechanics entirely, this wasn't an easy job to do, and the result is a lot of closeups of the new Dante and nods (like the anonymous at the beginning) just to convince the people to like the new character, that reflects lack of self-confidence of Ninja Theory which is also reflected in many aspects of the game (I feel that Ninja Theory wanted to make the game less idiot than Crapcom wanted) the result? a very versatile combo system with potential but a very weak enemies to make the combos woth to pull off (with a broken style system),there aren't any puzzles on the game but they added a very easy exploration system with the keys (and closed paths that needs to be open with the later weapons just to make you come back and feel that need more exploration), a mechanic to make the enemies harder conditioning the use of different weapons to satisfy the casual challenge needs but a pain in the ass for the hack and slash players, a storytelling forced in some points just make it feel like if it were more like a devil may cry than a different game like (I consider) this, overall, I don't recommend this if you enjoy the hack and slash, is very-VERY easy, the enemies are poor in variety and there are lots of better options for the hack and slash genre. Expand
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    Well here we are with a new DmC entry, I'll get right to the point with my review in a checklist style
    Gameplay
    5/10,it is a downgrade from previous Devil May Cry titles as losing the Lock On button forced the game to also lose plenty of moves that required the use of the lock on to be able and perform d-pad motions, depth of combat was also taken out or completely changed from previous
    DMC titles, now all moves combo into each other making flashy combos easy for everyone, even a blind person could make "sick" combos, NJ style of depth takes the form of enemeis that have unique weapon weaknesses or weak spots, this hindrances the gameplay as you have to interrupt your attack in order to reposition yourself or change weapon, in order to not affect your combat grade, NJ decided to also alter the way the game grades you, in this version of DMC as long as you dont get hit, your grade wont be reduced, even if you stand doing nothing for minutes, whereas in previous titles you had to think of smart ways to keep it high, either by varying up your combos or throwing a taunt here and there, this new system as you can see takes away from the skill.

All enemies telegraph their attacks, well they always do in the other games, however in this version they take several seconds before they launch their attacks, combine this with a low enemy count and the inability for most of them to attack Dante while he is doing air combos and you got yourself a very very easy game.

so for me, the combat and difficulty in this game while fun for new comers of this franchise, is completely lacking and lost of feeling of challenge.

Music : 5/10 this is mostly a matter of opinion, some of the tracks are quite good and do seem to fit the franchise, however all the ones that include heavy use of dubstep (boss music im looking at you) are really aweful and show poor taste

Graphics: 6/10 unfortunately for DMC, the developers decided to use the Unreal Engine, while its not a bad engine they did have a better engine they could have work with, CAPCOMS MT Framework engine, thus DMC's visual while good were not better than what we have seen in DMC4, a title released about 4 or 5 years ago and certainly not up to par with other titles released in 2012, however the only redeeming quality was the art direction of the game, the changing city and special effects used in some stages was quite good, too bad character models and animations werent.

Story: 5/10
    If anyone has watched the movie THEY LIVE by John Carpenter, you would know that DMC's story is almost a complete Copy/Paste of it, except that THEY LIVE at least had decent dialogue, whereas DMC's dialogue is just crude and childish, even going to compare $%^ sizes between some characters, however Story should never be a reason to play a DMC title so instead of the 2/10 I was going to give it, I'll bump it up to 5/10

Final Thoughts
    For me this DMC game has changed from action genre to the hack and slash or brawler genre, for example like those Dinasty Warrior games were all you do if perform 100+ hit combos just mashing the X button, now I don't mean to say the game is bad, DMC is a good game, but not as a Devil May Cry title, had the game had another name it would have been alright because I would not have had to compare it to its previous titles and see how many features were removed to make the combat extremely simple and depth lacking.

so my final score is a 5/10
  52. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  53. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME.
    I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off !
    This is a great game!
    This is fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys !
    Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too !
    Ninja Theory congrats!
  54. Jan 17, 2013
    Fantastic game. The gameplay is fun, fast and variable. The game looks great, as does the character design, and the music is rocking. I haven't played the previous DMCs, but I really like the characters in this reboot, especially Dante. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't take itself too seriously. I would urge fans of the previous series to give this game a chance, and not reject it just because "It's different, Dante's different." Expand
  55. Jan 18, 2013
    As a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series. I thought this game would be decent at best but boy was i wrong i really really enjoyed this reboot. Everything is pretty much solid. I have no complaints about the game except for the overpowered axe and easiness of SSS. I have no idea why DmC is getting bashed so much. ITS A REBOOT!!!!!! You can't expect to have the same old Dante. I personally have enjoyed the new Dante and this new take on DmC. Expand
  56. Jan 22, 2013
    Previous DMC with Dante where **** awsome and there it goes ninja theory with this **** ... I mean there is nothing new or special about this game. Stupid history, new boring Dante and the worst part is the gameplay, ITS JUST PATHETIC COMPARING WITH BAYONETA OR EVEN OLDER DMC.

VERY BAD NINJA THEORY, VERY BAD
  57. Jan 23, 2013
    This game made me die a little inside. Not all of it is bad tough; the soundtrack isn't bad, but not good either, the graphics are good at least, even if the colours look strange, and combat is enjoyable and easy (too easy even, at least for the more experienced gamers). Then comes the bad, which is everything else. I'm a huge fan of the real DMC games, and even I have to admit the story is not their strong point; compared to this, however, they're masterpieces. The plot is stupid, over the top, dumbed down garbage that wouldn't convince a 5 year old. Also, it is a rare game which makes me want to kill the protagonist more than the villains. The real Dante may have been **** and a bit of a jock, but he was genuinely cool and likable, unlike this guy, known henceforth as Johnny McFailville. Maybe it would be rated higher if it wasn't pretending to be DMC, but as it is, it's not worth the money or the effort to complete the game. This is not DMC, and it's a bad game, no matter what every sold out game critic says; mr. Johnny McFailville fails to convince (and even the real Vergil would have a hard time coming out looking good after shooting a pregnant woman). I bought every DMC when it came out, tried this yesterday at a friend's place; wouldn't buy this piece of crap if it was 5 bucks in the bargain bin. Expand
  58. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. The overall story kept me engaged and the climax blew me away. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  59. Jan 19, 2013
    The words "Devil May Cry" hold a lot of meaning for me. Devil May Cry was the first game I ever played for the PS2, and I've enjoyed every game in the series since it (except the second entry; what a shocker). I know Dante as if he were my own brother. I've seen him grow up, grow up some more and even take a backseat to another **** little white-haired bastard. I understand every aspect of Dante as a character.

That's why it surprised me to hear some people complaining about the new Dante in DmC: Devil May Cry. He is the same Dante as before. He's just younger and more immature. Weren't we all that way once (I still am)? Don't get me wrong; I was shocked when I first saw Ninja Theory's new character design for Dante. Now that I've played the game, I get it. I see no problem with it.

I also see no problem with making Devil May Cry a little easier. I grew weary of getting my ass handed to me in the older games, which could be agonizingly frustrating at times, and "agonizingly frustrating" does not equal "fun". If that makes me any less of a gamer as I've seen some users on Metacritic stupidly point out, I apologize. The thing is, it doesn't. It's just yet another dumb observation by a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even be allowed to play video games.

Besides, DmC does stay true to its predecessors in the way that its combat is an absolute blast. I found myself getting all giddy when I nailed an especially impressive looking combo. I kept nailing cool combos throughout the game. It may have been because of my experience with the previous installments, or it may have been because of the lowered difficulty, but either way, it was awesome. The combat system is deep, satisfying and easily one of the best things about DmC.

It has tons going for it. It's very fast-paced and exciting. As the game progresses, Dante gains angel and demon weapons. What this basically means is that one type, the angel weapons, are assigned to the left trigger, and the other type, the demon weapons, to the right. It's a brilliant choice by Ninja Theory that allows players to mix things up by constantly swapping between each weapon type and Dante's firearms.

New enemy types are introduced throughout the game, forcing players to strategize. For example, one enemy type might only take damage from an angel weapon, and vice versa. This can be one of the game's biggest flaws at times due to the lack of a lock-on feature. I found myself aiming but hitting the wrong enemy type a lot of times, which was irritating. Thankfully, the lock-on has been replaced with a dodge button, which is a welcome addition to the series. It can stay right where it is, thank you very much.

Dante can also grapple toward enemies or pull them to him. This adds even more depth to an already broad combat system. He can also use his "grappling hook" to latch onto platforms in the environment. The platforming in DmC is kind of a letdown, but it has its moments. Still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Ninja Theory changed it up a little bit in the inevitable sequel. It sometimes overshadows levels that are otherwise enjoyable.

Speaking of the levels, the environmental design in DmC is amazing. Dante has to make his way through a place known as Limbo, which is a world he gets pulled into for the majority of the story, and it's a world full of wonderfully grotesque and picturesque vistas. Limbo in and of itself is an enemy type. It really does seem as if the environments are trying to kill Dante. It was an ingenious decision on Ninja Theory's part to design the game in this manner. Exploration was my favorite part of DmC (and it often resulted in me getting a bad time rating at the end of the missions).

My least favorite part of DmC is definitely the story. It isn't really all that different from the stories in the other Devil May Crys. A bunch of incoherent crap happens and Dante says dumb stuff. That's about it. It attempts to make fun of society and FOX News, and all of that is funny at times, but it's utterly useless as a meaningful storytelling method. The character named Bob Barbas is essentially an exaggerated version of Bill O'Reilly, which means he runs his mouth a lot about nonsense nobody gives a damn about.

The story is at its best when it's exploring Dante's past and developing him as a character. Dante realizes before the end of the game that he may have a bigger purpose in life than lying around in a mobile home, boozing and sleeping with women. I chuckled at a few of Dante's unbelievably lame lines of dialogue, but a lot of them are just that--unbelievably lame and unfunny. It's one thing to spout off Schwarzenegger-esque lines like "You're fired"; it's quite another to brag about your penis being bigger than someone else's. That just emanates desperation.

DmC: Devil May Cry's strengths far outweigh its flaws. The story sucks, but the gameplay is great and the art style is better.
  60. Jan 23, 2013
    As much as I wanted to hate this game with a firey passion for the Edward Cullenization of Dante...I just cant. This game is nigh unplayable don't get me wrong. The characters are far from likable, so much so that if, at any part of the game, Dante had decided to kick a puppy, I doubt I would've been surprised. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a 13 year old boy who just learned to swear from his abusive step-father. Basically they took a fun camp game we all love and "modernized" it. The gameplay is it's saving grace. Its tight, fast and a lot of fun, much like the old games. Although the lack of a lockon or targeting system, make parts of this game a nightmare. And thats to say nothing of the level and boss fights which are amazing! However the fact still remains that there are several middle fingers to the fans sprinkled about the game. All in all this game pushes me WAY to far and practically begs me to put it down. If I can't stand the main character, why would I want to play his game? The Problem is not that they changed Dante, It's what they changed him too. Expand
  61. Jan 20, 2013
    8.5 - DMC: Devil May Cry is fantastic, no doubt about it. Just finished the game today, and I have to say I am very impressed. I played 3 & 4, so I can't call myself an original hardcore fan, but I can definitely say that I'm a fan of this reboot. The new Dante comes across as totally unlikeable in the beginning - the opening cutscene is way too over top - but as the clever story progresses you begin to really enjoy his new style. He is still the same pizza chiming, one-liner too-cool-for-school hero from the past games but now he has a sense of humanity in his B-movie style antics. Like I said before, the story is surprisingly clever. It's not really groundbreaking, but more creative and cool. The places that you explore are hyper-stylized and fun to traverse; Limbo is one of the coolest creations of the hack n slash genre. The ultra-stylized visuals complement the game wonderfully, and the unreal engine pulls off some beautiful landscapes. The reboot also reintroduces the pivotal character Vergil, who actually makes sense and is a character that you feel for. Voiceovers are strong across the board, along with the digital performances. DMC wouldn't be anything remarkable without the fine-tuned dynamic combat. The combat in DMC is fantastic; animations are strong, pulling off combos requires thinking rather than button mashing, and the 7 weapons you eventually have at your disposal allow the player to pull off incredibly cool combos. The soundtrack, while I'm not a fan of metal or dub step, keeps the game consistently energetic and fun. There are some very cool boss battles, along with some incredibly creative level designs that really wowed me. The game isn't without faults, though. The Unreal engine sometimes has texture loading issues (nothing we haven't seen before) and there are some herby-jerky animations for Kat and Vergil. There are also a couple of sequences where there is no combat what-so-ever, where you are just running alongside of Kat or Vergil. Also, DMC has a bit of profanity (not as much as I expected though) that is inconsistent with the DMC name, which I felt was a mild turn-off. Aside from the gripes, DMC Devil May Cry was a hard game to put down. Looking at the metascore, it seems that fans were not pleased, but I also doubt many have even played the game. It's a reboot, and a much needed one after the atrocious DMC4. It's very creative and stylish game that really surprised me from start to finish. I can't wait for the return trip and going after those harder difficulties! Expand
  62. Jan 20, 2013
    As a long time player of the dmc series, This game simply is by far the best Devil May Cry game in the series!

Anyone who gives this game a bad rating either has not played this game or just can't let go of the older dmc series dante...which is wrong in so many ways because they are not even judging this game for what it is. in this generation..change should be welcomed. and besides
    people are always more vocal about things they dislike than like...which is an obvious factor here because this game is truly great.

I love this game, from the gameplay aspect down to the story, the character portrayal and everything else. I love how the story is more detailed and clear this time around, and I love the real world being a demonic illusion concept by the higher powers of the world.

As for gameplay, it may not be on bayonetta's level of gameplay which i think set the action genre bar very high. But it's controls down to it's combo's and variety and technicalities really excel in this game. easy-normal-nephelim may be easier modes, but beyond those difficulties start to provide some real challenge, this game can be very hard, challenging to master and overall so stylish and great in so many ways.

All i can say is, ignore the negative reviews...they have no idea what they are talking about. Go out and buy the game and understand for yourself what makes this game so fun.
  63. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels more British to me. I enjoyed the characters and have played all the old games. If you enjoy beat em ups this game is going to be right up your ally. Don't listen to all the hate about his hair not being white, besides when you beat the game you also unlock his old costume, so play on the hardest difficulty with the old costume and it'll be just like the old DMC games, everybody wins. Expand
  64. Jan 18, 2013
    Let me start of with this: It's amazing, the story is the best in any DMC game so far, and it plays so smoothly, even at 30 FPS.
    The gameplay is by far the most fun I've had in any DMC game, it's responsive, the combos a sweet, and the fact that they removed styles shouldn't erk you, the knew hold down the trigger button system works way better, and adds even cooler chain attacks, Limbo
    is such a unique and artistic setting that it's impossible not to love, even when it's trying to kill you.
    The fact that the environment moves around and tries to kill Dante added a nice level of surprise to every mission, even if by the last three levels started to get predictable.
    The new design fits, it doesn't matter if you don't like it, it fits, and what made this Dante really cool is that he had more of a personality than old Dante.
    The new character Kat is by far my favorite DMC female character so far, I wont say why though, too much spoilers.
    However it's a little short, clocking my play time to a little over ten hours a nephilem mode, and it's a little too easy, but those a minor things.
    Dantes latest adventure is a major improvement all around, and I also would like to mention, don't trust the user score, it's just a bunch of old fans angry because the didn't get a normal DmC experience, they however, got something better.
  65. Jan 16, 2013
    I am enjoying this game like crazy! I played the original but that was it! I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The gaming community is the most self entitled group of people I have ever known. They make the whole group look really bad when they cry over this stuff. And how they all came in here without playing the game and rated this a one is a clear indicator of how much they should NOT be taken seriously. You guys MAKE ME ASHAMED TO IDENTIFY MYSELF AS A GAMER. Expand
  66. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm so completely and utterly baffled by some of the negative reviews of metacritic, and it really saddens me to see such a well-designed game suffer from the immaturity of a spurned fan-base who believe they are the all-knowing force that should dictate what Capcom does with it's already established gaming franchise. Capcom gave the "Devil May Cry" name to a very well suited designer in Ninja Theory. They have shown an incredible ability to display subtle character emotions through their other games, and with this newest project they've attempted to blend this talent with truly superb hack-n-slash gameplay. The result is DMC, a game that despite a few quirks, does contain plenty of material worthy of merit and recognition. The story of DMC isn't perfect, and it isn't necessarily a nail-biter, but it is at the very least entertaining, and takes several liberties to present the familiar Devil May Cry lore in a fascinating new light. Despite what several reviews have stated, I've found that Ninja Theory has done well to establish an interesting cast. The new Dante is presented as a confused young man who knows little of his past, and after meeting his brother Vergil, he sets out to confront the "demons" (ha, demon pun) of his past. Dante has all the attitude and raw style you would expect of him, but he's also presented as a dimensional character who also cares for humanity, and throughout the game, he grows an interest in his female human companion, Kat. This Dante can be cruel and unlikeable at times, but as a whole is presented very well. The mo-cap also does an excellent job of presenting the subtle emotions and expressions on his face, which I found drew me more into the story. Supporting characters such as Vergil, the twin brother who as it turns out has slightly more sinister and ambitious goals than first believed, and Kat, the human-psychic companion who proves her worth by saving the Nephilim twins time and again, bring something to the table, but as a whole the story is more focused on Dante realizing who he is, and setting out to avenge his family. The primary antagonist Mundis is a serviceable, if slightly stereotypical, baddie, but he doesn't necessarily do anything out of the box that will make you say "wow". As far as the actual writing goes, it is far stronger in some areas than others, but as a whole comes off as entertaining, without really making you think too much. A lot of people seem to have issues with certain aspects of the story such as the "my dick's bigger" line Vergil drops towards the end and the now infamous "assault-rifle abortion" seem to take things too far out of context. The Vergil line was part of a series of brotherly insults traded between Dante and Vergil, because, you know, they are TWIN BROTHERS. I'm sure out there in the world right now are twin brothers who've had the exact same wording come out of their mouths. As for the "abortion", I fail to see what could possibly be offensive about a man shooting and killing the unborn son of a demon king while it still resides in the womb of a demon woman. That, to me, is a perfectly justifiable act. As for the gameplay, I find it to be simplistic,but incredibly enjoyable. Combos start out basic and quickly become more complex as you add more and more of the games weapons into long, unending chains of death and brutality. You have familiar weapons like sword Renegade and dual pistols Ebony and Ivory, which serve as the base weapons of the game. Meanwhile, holding the left or right trigger transforms weapons into angel or demon based weapons respectively. Angel weapons have a slight flair factor to them and typically are fast, low damage dealing weapons that are excellent to string to the end of combos because the speed quickly allows you to add more attacks to the end of a chain. On the flipside, demon based weapons are the heavies of the game, dealing more damage in slow, brutal blows that serve excellent to demolish enemies with protection in the form of shields. Once you gain all of your abilities it becomes extremely satisfying to chain and switch between every single weapon in the game in non-stop combos of death. As for the enemy variety, well, it could be better. Soon in the game enemies that can only be harmed by certain weapon types quickly limits that same arsenal that made the game so fun in the first place. To sum it all up, the new DMC is a vastly entertaining game worth trying out, and is far better than other user reviews on metacritic will have you believe. If you want to try out some excellent hack-n-slash, this is what you want. If you were a fan of the DMC series before this game, rent it, play through, and see what Ninja Theory have brought to the table. Hopefully, more people stop being bias and this game sells well, because I for one, and hoping for a sequel. Expand
  67. Jan 17, 2013
    Being a long time fan of the Devil May Cry series, I was so excited when I found out this game was coming out. I finished the game yesterday & I have to say that is game is amazing. It was so much fun to play, the story was awesome & it's the same Dante just a younger more rebellious version. A lot of people hung up on idiotic technicalities like, his hair being different are cheating themselves out of a good game. I like where the story went, the ending was good, it was a nice way to show how Dante came to be the awesome loveable Demon killer so many have grown to love. Some people claim that they had issues with the speed of the game but I personally encountered no glitches or anything wrong with it. It's worth playing & if you're a true DMC fan then it's definitely worth buying. Ninja Theory took a risk & they succeeded in making an all around hardcore game. I'm impressed to say the least. Expand
  68. Jan 20, 2013
    I finished DmC a few minutes ago and I have to say, it was a really solid game! I love the earlier Devil May Cry-s as well and this is definitely quite different, but it's also pretty great. The combat was fun, the levels were inventive, the music was SO much better. The plot was pretty much stolen from "They Live" but it worked pretty well in the game. All in all I recommend it highly!
  69. Jan 21, 2013
    I was feeling a little sceptical initially as a result of the controversy surrounding its release. I cancelled my pre-order but I am very glad that I gave into my curiosity and bought it. It was fast paced, and consistently exciting, the surroundings revolved around me and were great to look at. I absolutely love the vibrant colour palate used and I found myself playing for hours on end. I quite like Dante's new look and raw attitude and the combat is so fluent and fun. I found myself striving to pull off perfect combos and experimenting regularly in the training mode. My only criticism with the game is the occasional issue with texture popping during the cinematic scenes, but it was a very minor issue. One of the best and most addictive games I've played in a while. Thank you very much Ninja theory. Keep up the good work. Expand
  70. Jan 21, 2013
    My actual grade for DmC: Devil May Cry is an 8/10 but based on the average grade, this game could use all the help it can get. Even if you dislike this game it is still playable. A 0/10 game is unplayable, and downright disgusting. Dante is not as fun of a character in this game as he is in previous DmC games but he is not a horrible character. He has corny one liners and a very metal attitude with his combos. As for the combos well the auto-lock, while annoying, is not game breaking. You can seamlessly create awesome combos and even though that part is easy, as well as dodging, it is extremely satisfying. The platforming is the other part of the gameplay and is just as unique and fun as the combat. The music is fitting, the lip syncing is incredible, and the stages and bosses make you want to throw up a rainbow. What's left then the story? I don't want to spoil anything but it's sort of predictable but it is definitely a set up for a sequel so be ready for that. If you like brawlers and platforming then this is a fantastic way to start the new year of gaming off right. Expand
  71. Jan 23, 2013
    In response to negative reviews: "Slap in the face?" No. This content offends you? Why are you playing an M rated game? You're obviously not mature enough to handle the "offensive" content ,despite the context given in the story. Devs trying new things with a franchise is not a personal attack against gamers. This reboot is exactly what the franchise needs and I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually finished the game or paid attention to the story could be unsatisfied, let alone offended. Especially if they're a hardcore DMC fan. I get the feeling that many of these negative reviews are from the type of kids that were told they were special and exceptional as long as they "tried their best", and now they think the world owes them something because of some artificially inflated self image. GROW UP. Go buy another call of duty or guitar hero game if you want a franchise that never changes. The core question remains: is the game fun? Just enough was iterated on in this installment to keep the gameplay fresh, but the core elements of DMC remain in tact. They still have the mission structure, with secret rooms, scoring based on style during combat, and improving abilities that allow access to other areas of the map for second and third new game plus playthroughs. We've still got the cheesy dialogue, but much of the gothic feel from DMC 1 and 2 has given way to grittiness. The goofy cheeseball Dante of DMC 3 has been replaced by more of a brooding rebel in search of revenge. Like any good story, we see change in the main character through the conflict. We see this play out in the storyline which has Dante exploring what happened to his parents, and subsequently what happened to him and his brother. This resets us to the starting point of DMC 1 potentially, but in the current technological era. The excellent grab mechanic from DMC 4 has been included and improved upon. The art style of the game is gorgeous and reminds me of the excellent game "Enslaved", only MUCH prettier and that's saying a lot. There is a lot of artistic expression that plays out through the traversal and combat scenarios in limbo. Many of these are super exciting to play and really engaging. Overall Ninja Theory has done a great job of breathing new life into this franchise. It will satisfy newcomers to DMC and older folks like myself who appreciate artistic expression and creativity in sequels. Games like this move the industry forward. Games are for adults now, they're not just toys and if that's what you want, go pull out your Wii or plastic guitar. Expand
  72. Jan 22, 2013
    Ok, before you accuse me of hating this game just because of Dante's hair, there are a LOT more reasons as to why this game is an awful Devil May Cry game. Follow the link to see for yourself: http://pastebin.com/y3PKiumh
  73. ADH
    Jan 22, 2013
    Alright, keeping in mind that this game is in fact a reboot it loses some points purely for being a reboot. This is not to say that the game is bad, it actually means I am generally biased against remakes/reboots.

Okay, now that the reboot lashing is out of the way let's begin. DmC Devil May Cry is exactly what you'd expect from a series of this caliber, it's fast-paced, nonstop, pure,
    unadulterated badassery. It takes a whole new lease on the story, fills in the gaps where we wonder "what happened pre-DMC3?" And expands on the part where Dante says in DMC3 "Quite frankly, at first, I didn't give a damn." It shows how the new Dante becomes the Dante we know and love.

The combat is absolutely amazing with combos being fun, flowing and fantastically brutal, using the triggers to not just switch weapons but to morph Rebellion into something entirely different is an amazing innovation in Devil May Cry's combat mechanics. The downside to the combat is that the enemy types are extremely limited and most of them are just variations of basic enemy types who can only be attacked by a certain type of weapon. Still, punching bags are punching bags and demons are bullet fodder.

The visuals are stunning, the cutscenes look more like a Square Enix grade CGI movie, (seriously, go search up Advent Children if you don't know what I mean) and the gameplay graphics and animations look fluid and well designed throughout. Again a downside to the graphics is that there are a few minor glitches but nothing game-breaking and when you're in combat it can be hard to for the game to keep up with the commands you're punching through your controller, probably as fast as I'm writing this review at nearly 2 in the morning. so when you're in the middle of a fast combo the framerate can chug a bit (hopefully they'll fix it with an update).

The story, as I mentioned at the start of the game, is relatively faithful to the old games, the difference being it's been worked around and changed a bit but it sticks to the general premise i.e. guy born with demon blood, has massive sword and 2 guns, use said sword and guns to get new stuff, kill big things, get rejected by women, go home after ending the apocolypse. You get the idea except one thing in that summary I actually think Dante's finally found love! (Saying no more, play the game to find out.) And it now works to incorporate 2 major villains from the old series into the same game, which is a very nice touch.

The story may be a bit juvenile and immature at times but it also has the classic humor in there, which along with the new-ish story and characters makes it fit amazingly well. And allow it to flow almost seamlessly from one line to the next. It will make you laugh. A lot, which is part of the game's charm. And with the Vergil's Downfall DLC coming very soon should allow it all to expand even further, and will hopefully give it that darker edge. Which is great.

I openly admit I had low expectations of the game, viewing it as just another cash-in on a great series, but I am proud to say I was wrong. This game went above and beyond all my expectations and I can freely and wholeheartedly recommend this game for anyone who is either new to the series or an old-school veteran. It brings a modern perspective to a classic story and does so with such style and grace that it's easy to forget you're playing a reboot of an 11-year-old series. The only problems people may have is the linear design of most of the levels, and the collectibles seeming more like a chore. But it's a solid game and it's presented so well, it's hard not to love it.

If you look past the new designs and changed story, it's still the same game that we all know and love. Which is why it's an instant favorite in my books.
  74. Jan 29, 2013
    I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this DmC game, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. This is a REBOOT, and it has a different feel than other DmC games -- but the hack n slash combat is still amazingly fun, the old challenge is there, and I found myself laughing many times at Dante's ridiculous bravado... in a good way. The story is straightforward and has a few poignant moments. Most of all, this game looks better than any other DmC game, with more color and a dynamic environment that is constantly shifting and trying to kill Dante. I could not imagine this game being more fun to play, plain and simple, and that's what all video games should be about. Expand
  75. Jan 29, 2013
    This Game is Fantastic.The story isn't Great but the game itself is solid.Great Graphics,great mechanics, really great art direction.This is not only the best devil may cry games, its one of the best hack and slash games of this generation.
  76. Jan 31, 2013
    Great an fast storytelling. The combat system is well balanced and easy to learn but hard to master. The Reboot was the best Dante could happened (with or without white hair)
  77. Feb 8, 2013
    One of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console to date such as DMC4 or Bayonetta, partially due to the broken style system. I enjoyed this game overall more than Ninja Gaiden II, but the mechanics of NGII's combat system were also obviously superior to this game. I've never been skilled enough to consistently achieve SSS combos in any previous DMC game, and I'm ok with that. At the time of writing this review, I've completed all the DMC's except 3 (I had traded my PS2 for an original Xbox before that came out or I would have played it too) on the "Normal" (aka Devil Hunter) difficulty. In DmC 5, however, SSS combos (NOT overall level rankings) can be achieved by pretty much anyone who knows how to button-mash their way through any simple hack-and-slash game. Similarly, if you don't care about your rank, you can cheese your way through huge sections of the campaign with minimal effort, though a few of the boss fights will force you to exhibit some skill to beat, although they all revolve around extremely predictable patterns involving swinging between a few platforms with one of your two seperate types of grappling hooks while the boss will probably be trying to vomit on you or something like that. Most of the levels look incredible, and I like how they are all based on twisted versions of everyday places such as a carnival, nightclub, factory, etc. but the actual map layouts are bland, and there's so much platforming this could almost be considered a platformer with melee combat. The lack of lock-on made me curse alot as the game miserably tried to "predictively" select the enemy I wanted to shoot with guns and/or grappling hooks. I love the soundtrack in DmC, but then again I am into industrial metal music, and I do realize that a lot of people aren't. The game even suprised me by featuring a few songs that I have had in regular rotation on my MP3 player, which is rare for me since most games either have epic movie-style soundtracks, or just boring licensed garbage like a lot of EA Rockstar games. Contrary to other user reviews, there is thankfully only a little bit of actual dubstep in the game. Industrial is not dubstep, kids. The characters have a lot of terrible dialogue, just like the other DMC games. Overall I enjoyed the story in this newest entry more than DMC 1-4 because it was the only one out of the entire series where I could even tell there was supposed to be a story, even though they did copy a Futurama episode for the factory level. Finally, I would rate this game an 8.5, I would have given DMC4 a 9.25, and Bayonetta would get a 9.5. I'm rounding up the 8.5 since there's so many zeroes on these user ratings. People are acting like it's worse than Vampire Rain or something, I mean, come on. It's actually a pretty fun game when judged on its own. However, it's a step down compared to all the other games in this series (except DMC2). Expand
  78. Jan 26, 2013
    Love this game. Having played and still owning almost all the DMC's up to this point I really dont understand how anyone who has played DMC could not love this new DMC reboot. I love everything about the game and not I'm not just saying that. I didnt really like DMC4 very much, but this reboot of DMC is just truly amazing. The graphics are awesome, I love the new Dante look and for all those trolling and crying about the new look why dont you just use the original Dante skin and stop crying because that is the dumbest reason to not like or give a game a bad rating I mean damn it came with 4 more optional skins. If you have ever liked any Devil May Cry or Darksiders I or II or any other big name hack and slash then you will be glad you got this game. and to be honest I did not like Darksiders 2 at all and am not a huge hack and slash fan, but like I said I LOVE this game, and really did not expect to. I really cant understand the people that give this game a bad rating but when you consider that all the well known reviewers and critics give it high scores then you know that they are just trolling and crying for what reason no one knows, but this game is a must have! Expand
  79. Jan 27, 2013
    The story of DmC, which in my opinion isn
  80. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, no intention of buying it honestly, saw it was a new revamp of dmc so i picked it up, i regret buying skyrim, gears 3 and halo 4 more than i do dmc, worth the $65. Expand
  81. Jan 29, 2013
    The game is great, fun smooth action, a decent plot.
    Vergil is an a**hole.
    The scenarios are stunning.
    The soundtrack is the best in the franchise.
    My final verdict for this game is: A BETTER GAME THAN DMC 2 AND 4 .
  82. Feb 4, 2013
    I was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and character progression. You can also get his classic skin through cheap DLC if its that's part of the issue people have with him.The combat is as excellent and responsive as ever and its full of Holy combos and moments with flare and style. The evil media/corporation theme is very fitting this day in age so I enjoyed how it was delivered in this game. I mean, do people really think the owners of these major corporations and news stations are innocent little angels? Of course they aren't. So the story was fun and it made for some truly incredible set pieces that compliment the flashy combat. With great replay value, great graphics and art design, bloody palace (free) DLC coming soon and even more DLC on the way I cant recommend this game enough. To all fans of action games, buy this. Expand
  83. Jan 31, 2013
    This is an amazing game. The jump and run action is fun, the combat is fun as always in a DMC game. You have everything you had before plus amazing art. The environment changes all the time and is vibrant and alive. This game really set the tone for what I would be expecting in the future from game makers. I want a rich experience with the surroundings, the visual side of what DMC has shown on that regard seems unparalleled. The soundtrack is also quite good and regardless of what the hipster fans of dmc 1 and 3 will tell you the story and the characters are great and better even! Expand
  84. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the hate. This game is awesome - Ninja Theory have changed a few major bits and pieces, but overall DmC is a better game for it. They've revived and breathed new life into a franchise that had grown stale, and was looking like it was sure to be a relic of the previous generation of consoles. Even with the changes, the game still FEELS like a Devil May Cry game. The characters feel fleshed out, and Dante seems to have a lot more depth in this new story. Giving deeper meaning to his relationship with Vergil is also one of the best parts of the game. And for the people who are complaining about the way Dante looks... He ends up looking more like the character we know by the end of the game. Seeing him take this transition from how he looks at the start, to how he looks at the end, has a great effect on the character. This is an origin story in every sense - Dante becomes more and more powerful, until he becomes something resembling the white haired character we know. His physical transformation (even if it's mainly just his hair) emphasizes the change in the character that takes place throughout the game. This isn't just Ninja Theory pissing off fans. Every decision they have makes sense for the game they have created.

The framework for the story has given Ninja Theory the opportunity to design some awesome levels, that offers some "best in class" scripted moments. DmC keeps things fresh by constantly giving you interesting locales to hack and slash through - from an area that takes place within a reflection (causing everything to appear upside down) to a level that takes place within the motion graphics of a News channel. This is the most innovative DMC has been since the first game came out.

What people have to understand is that Capcom were pretty much done with the old DMC. They had no idea what to do with the franchise as it was. All of the people complaining about this reboot were NEVER going to get a traditional DMC sequel, as Capcom saw no reason to make it. It was either they make a reboot, or they make nothing at all. I'd rather they try and keep the franchise going with a reboot, than forget about it forever. It's just a bonus that the game they created for this reboot happens to be one of the best action adventure games of this generation.
  85. Jan 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally loved this game. I have played all the other before. with the exception of number 4. To me this was an amazing game. The combat, the story, the interaction between Dante and Vergil was great. It was nice to see an actual fleshed out story and background between Dante and Vergil that had been only alluded to in the others. The story also takes a pretty cool modern take on social fears. And a very fleshed out story as well. I had some issues with the story but they were very minor things. Ending of the story was great except for the very end. It felt like a letdown because it was building to this very high point that you thought was going to make Dante and Vergil's relationship different from the original games, but turns into the same.

Dante as an individual was something that i enjoyed. He starts off as his usual arrogant self like his main universe counterpart, not wanting any help, to becoming a character that is fully realized at the end. His visual style was very likable too. Even a little nod during the beginning to his main universe counterpart.

Combat was great. I loved that you could string out so many moves so quickly, as i am a button masher person. Platforming was great too.

I would definitely recommend this game to someone who loves quick pace action and just senseless killing one enemy after the next.
  86. Jan 21, 2013
    DMC 5 is probably the best game in the entire series... fluid gameplay... excellent graphics and creative level designing...... story is short but pretty good ........ overall this game is AWESOME....
  87. Jan 24, 2013
    I have been a fan of devil may cry series since it 1st came out. I was very worried about the new dmc and boy was i wrong. This is a fantastic game and has everything a devil may cry fan could ever ask for. The new Dante is cool (still prefer old Dante). I think everyone should give this game a chance before you start judging it. This game has everything stunning visuals, great music and a well put together story. Trust me give it a go :) Expand
  88. Jan 23, 2013
    Let me just start off by saying that I like the new Dante. I don't find anything wrong and in fact may actually like the new Dante more than the old. Now that I have gotten that out of the way the real reason I am writing this is to give you the REAL information about the now famed "baby shooting scene" that takes place in the later end of the game. SPOILER FREE: it's really not that bad, everyone is talking about it like Virgil just killed some chick with a baby and then laughed at the father. When you ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME!!! you will know that Virgil has a very good reason to do so, even if it is somewhat questionable, it is not the worst thing in the world. SPOILERS HERE: So Virgil killing the baby of the devil is a bad thing? END OF SPOILERS Overall, I loved this game and it definitely brought back nostalgia for the old games while also being an entirely new experience. I found this game very fun with a great story and great characters. The only complaint I have heard that I somewhat agree with is the complaint that it is too easy. And it is pretty easy, but if you unlock the one hit death mode with regular enemy health bars, then i think that you will find that it really isn't that easy. All Ninja Theory did was give easier modes for people who don't want the default to be too difficult. All they did was expand the range of the game by making it more accessible. In the end, this is one of my favorite games of the year and is one of the best "button mashers" I have played in recent memory. Expand
  89. Jan 23, 2013
    When DMC was first announced at the Tokyo game show in 2010, I admit I was sceptical, everything had seemed to have changed, but as development went on I saw this a chance for the western developer Ninja Theory to step up and make a impact on the gaming industry and fortunately the new DMC Devil May Cry is defiantly a step in the right direction. You play as Dante a demon-angel hybrid known simply as Nephilim, along with your twin brother Vergil and a medium named kat, you set out to stop the demon lord mundus and destroy his evil empire, while uncovering the mystery of Dante childhood. I won Expand
  90. Jan 24, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. Without being a hardcore-fan of the franchise and generally being against the workflow of Capcom, I was pretty sceptical regarding the reboot and the character design changes. But the game itself was very entertaining. Nice hack and slash, fantastic graphic and framerate, a simple story. But sure it has flaws: it is pretty short. You have to like the **** persona of Dante and some jumping parts are frustrating. Still its a good, fun game. Expand
  91. Jan 27, 2013
    A thoroughly enjoyable game, the combat is smooth with only a few minor flaws and feels refreshing yet slightly familiar. As for the story I found it engaging, this is where to game differs from previous entries the most (for obvious reason) but the main characters and their stories are engaging and the fresh take on Virgil's story alone is worth watching.

Don't knock it before you try
    it and I can't wait for bloody palace. Expand
  92. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  93. Jan 30, 2013
    This is the first DMC i had ever played and for those saying its repetitive obviously didnt get far enough to unlock all the skill sets and all demon/angels weapons. This game keeps your attention as the gameplay constantly changes and each mission has a different feel to it. I can't understand the overall negativity of users on this game, What a great way to start 2013. The story was also very witty and this new DANTE kicks some..White hair Dante is dead! Expand
  94. Jan 31, 2013
    I played the game since it came out, super excited for it.
    I put the game in my xbox and i was enthralled.
    The game has amazing production value and the oozes style, fighting is fun and fast.
    I'm still playing the game (currently going through heaven or hell mode) and i'm still loving every second.
    The only thing i don't care for is the lack of a manuel lock-on system which would've
    been great.

Dont listen to all the angry reviews it's simply not fair to give this game a 1 or 2, a true 1 or 2 game would be mindjack and so on.
  95. Jan 31, 2013
    This is the best Devil May Cry game since before the first game even came out! The game has great art direction that alternates between two distinct worlds with a brilliant soundtrack, and the plot has a kitschy '80s feel about it. I particularly like the design of Dante, who wears a stylish coat and has amazing hair (there's a hilarious moment where Dante tries on a white wig and notes how ridiculous it looks... so funny). And above all, the combat is great fun, with lots of combos spanning across numerous different weapon styles. The game has an extensive range of unlockable difficulty modes and good replay value. An absolute triumph and a real breakthrough for the series. Expand
  96. Feb 7, 2013
    Absolutely fun action game, with amazing level design and complementary music and sound effects. Story witch is not top notch by any means is good enough to pull you in and make you want to see want is going to happen next, as well as giving a solid ground for character development.
  97. Jan 20, 2013
    Alright, first of all, ignore all of the angry fanboys who are pissed about the change in creative direction for the series. You know, the ones who are creating multiple accounts just to grade this game down. Is the game perfect? No. Is it a 0 or a 2? No.

Pros: Gorgeous graphics. Inventive level design. Interesting story for what it is. Accessible and fun controls.
    Cons: The
    new Dante. The general lack of characterization.

It's worth a play, and I commend Ninja Theory for trying something different, even if I'm not a fan of it entirely.
  98. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  99. Feb 11, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convoluted story that doesn’t have dante screaming “I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTT” and then escaping in a biplane no you won’t be running through a castle to fight one boss only to have to run through the same castle to the same area to fight another boss what you will have to do is relax and allow the geniuses at Ninja Theory to tell you a tale or in the case of some fans allow them to strap you into a straight jacket and force feed you the Nuevo devil may cry medicine .

(Dont get me wrong i loved the original devil may cry and it remains one of my favorite capcom games of all time.....right after Resident evil and Onimusha but to be perfectly honest this game was needed to bring back a franchise that would otherwise have been left buried under a mountain of Street fighter DLC)
  100. Feb 6, 2013
    The character development is terrible as a standalone game, let alone when compared to the other games. The combat is just bad for a DMC game, all the styles and combat options are brought under two buttons, angel attack and demon attack. There is absolutely nothing left of the DMC3 and 4 combat engine or gameplay.

If more than 4-5 enemies appear on the screen the game gets very
    noticeable framedrop.

Would get a 5/10 if it was just another hack&slash. But when compared to the DMC franchise it's a 0/10.

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.