5.0

1. Feb 9, 2013
    Story was good but Game play was too normal actions not very well but good Bosses are stupid and when you finish it you will have no attraction to complete new opened games from first
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    Combat Controls
    Combat Controls
    One thing that DMC was always about was C&C, smooth controls and crazy combos. And to be honest its somewhat here not at previous titles levels(i'm looking at you three), but still fast and furious. you'll notice old favorites like stinger and Helm breaker, and maybe some new ones like karma and double jump. as said before i did have issues with the controls, if you have tried the game on the 360 you'll probably know what i mean, but for those that don't its the weapon change. yes one of the core elements of this game holds you back right at the start, but in the beginning it wasn't that big of a deal, later on however this becomes a big issue later on when weapon change matters. you have to hold the shoulder buttons while attacking to use the weapon, and not just a little tap to cycle them but thought the whole combo, which make the combat later on tedious at best, also the lack of lock on would seem like a problem in other DMC games here, not so much. also why are their so many dodges one is fine, with out lock one their really wasn't a need for so many making for an even easier game. And the game while full of cool combos feel shallow with how predictable and easy the enemy AI is. For most part i didn't even lose half a life bar until later on when I had issues with the controls. Even bosses fell a tad to choreographer to simple grunt expose your weak point after attacking AI. And Devil trigger is only really used to fill up health meters.All in all a very different feel from the origins of the series but not so bad that i couldn't stop playing. still in my preference for a DMC game its disappointing. way to forgiving and hands out to many S ranks in my tastes.
    5 out of 10 (on PC i would give it a 6.5 only because of key binding)
    Story and Dialog
    Now this is where i have real issues with this game. i know that DMC is not know for its moving plots and life changing writing, but this one by far is most carbon copy plot ever. no really its just like They Live, go watch this. Now i like They Live, but not its video game rehash. Why, not so much that its bad idea, no its a pretty good concept. it all come down to a connection, between me and the characters and the world its in. Dante is like a a kid who tries to hard to convince me that hes his older cooler brother, Virgil's dialog was every emotionless and uncharismatic, and Kate wasn't that bad but she seamed to perfect, some how falling in love with Dante even though their wasn't much to love.he wasn't to witty, nor was their a deeper person on the inside with complex feelings and showing his though subtle hints like the old DMC. no he was just a person that is angry at something and never really get that resolved in game. his dialog is bad, and reduced to cursing and very predictable evil banter with the enemy.also the whole half angle/demon thing left me feeling that he to unrelatable, being a mere meager human. they even use the term Nephilim which are human/angle hybrids. also putting bill o'reilly in any type of media is wrong.
    4 out of 10 (Kate really save you here DMC)
    Platforming and Puzzles
    Not bad, considering the controls. The whole holding the shoulder buttons thing was what brought this down for me. because i have to hold the shoulder buttons it make it very arduous to say the least. too many times have i plummeted to my doom because of this,(Doom is a relative term here, like i said this game is way to forgiving) the delay between switching weapon is ridiculous and frustrating. the only reason i didn't really care about mastering this is, again, how forgiving it was .puzzles are at DMC2 level so its not so bad but nothing really jumps out at you. but overall i, its meh.
    6 out of ten(meh)
    Graphics
    Let me be the one to eat my hat on this one, the game looks fantastic. crisp, clear, and vibrant. the levels are varied and while at time frustrating the platforming was beautiful. the enemy's look great, lots of variations of them, their attacks look amazing, so amazing in fact that i would some times let Dante get hit just to see what would happen. Limbo is just as breathtaking as they said it would be and they delivered on it spot on. i am amazed on what Ninja theory did. also on a side note the enemy's looked very much like the one in DMC2, which i liked(yeah i know is bad, but played like an adventure so i liked it), and so dose parts of limbo.
    8.5 out of 10
    Over all a 6 out of 10
    Did DMC: Devil May Cry win the heart of the hard core, probably not. Did it get new blood in the sires Yes it did. for me i prefer the old DMC to this but in all honest it wasn't that bad of a game, it just wasn't what i wanted to a game called Devil May Cry.
  3. Feb 18, 2013
    I will admit that while the game does have some issues, the overall package is good. As a seasoned DMC player, having played 1, 2, and 3 (I want to get 4) I can tell you that it is NOT Devil May Cry good. Vergil has really fallen out of my respect, Kat just seems like a half-assed love interest for Dante, and the FOX news references are very abundant. Not to say that all of it is bad.I will admit that while the game does have some issues, the overall package is good. As a seasoned DMC player, having played 1, 2, and 3 (I want to get 4) I can tell you that it is NOT Devil May Cry good. Vergil has really fallen out of my respect, Kat just seems like a half-assed love interest for Dante, and the FOX news references are very abundant. Not to say that all of it is bad. Mundus is a pretty good villian. The whole, "control the world through debt" thing was pretty cool. And the shape shifting enviroments are also very appealing. The graphics are good, but as some of the other reviewers have stated, you tend to expect that from unreal engine games. Some characters are un-memorable, like the various demons you fight, as well as other characters, such as Lilith, Mundus' wife/prostitute/child-bearer, and Phineas, the guy who helps you get to Bob Barbas. The boss battles in this game are superb. the battles with Mundus, the Succubus, and Bob are excellent. Now to get to the issues. Can someone tell me the value behind the wig joke? That came out of nowhere! and Dante's character is VERY unnapealing. The way he acts, looks, acts, and feels makes him feel sluggish, and make him look like he is trying to emulate the Dante we know and love. While the shape shifting world is great, and the enviroments pretty nice, the world doesn't make you feel that threatened. The combat. That is one of the places this needed to be good. The combat is WAY to easy to get an S ranking, let alone an SSS. the combat feels slow, but it feels like it adds momentum to Dante, but overrall feels sluggish and slow. There are also continuity issues. While Dante can use his sword, Rebellion in Limbo, he can't use it in the real world. But Vergil, Dante's brother, can use his sword, the Yamato #which was way cooler in DMC 3# in both the real world and Limbo, which makes no sense. The Kablooey gun was given a poor explanation as to it's abilities, and Dante's Devil Trigger is bland and boring, as apposed to Dante's other Devil Trigger forms in the past, which made him look like a DEMON, or a DEVIL, like the name DEVIL TRIGGER suggests. This game doesn't deserve all the praise that it gets from some reviewers, but it doesn't deserve the hate it has gotten either. It's right in the middle, and that isn't always a bad thing. But is this the end for the DMC 1-4 characters and their story? As the TRUE Dante would say, "The end? Don't bet on it." Expand
  4. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time.
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    If you haven't played this yet and are still on the fence, then just wait for a massive price drop. As an action game, it's not a bad title. I'd say it's around an 8/10. However, this is a Devil May Cry game, a series whose pedigree is on lightning fast gameplay and timing, and brutal difficulty. This game is most certainly not that. If you are a casual gamer, pick it up at a reducedIf you haven't played this yet and are still on the fence, then just wait for a massive price drop. As an action game, it's not a bad title. I'd say it's around an 8/10. However, this is a Devil May Cry game, a series whose pedigree is on lightning fast gameplay and timing, and brutal difficulty. This game is most certainly not that. If you are a casual gamer, pick it up at a reduced price. If you are a previous DMC fan, I would suggest a rental, or go play something worthwhile like the new Metal Gear Rising game. Expand
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    It is fun that people dosent know that this game is a REBOOOOOOOT and not a continue of the other games. Please dont care about the 0 givers they dont know what they are talking about. Combat is amazing BUT they made Dane a douche
  7. Apr 12, 2013
    This game is amazing! To all the little internet complainers who have no idea what they are talking about and probably didn't even play the game and just want to constantly you are IDIOTS....It makes no sense to hate this game because they changed the character around a bit, I am a huge fan of Devil May Cry and this game is a step in the right direction, the levels are diverse andThis game is amazing! To all the little internet complainers who have no idea what they are talking about and probably didn't even play the game and just want to constantly you are IDIOTS....It makes no sense to hate this game because they changed the character around a bit, I am a huge fan of Devil May Cry and this game is a step in the right direction, the levels are diverse and engaging, the combat feels fresh and satisfying, story is decent, love the banter with the Succubus and Bob Barbas, and the boss fights feel fresh and exciting, Arkham City used to be my favorite action adventure game but DmC is now the front runner, TO ALL THE WHINERS-STOP CRYING AND SHUT UP Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2013
    The gameplay is solid, while devil trigger sucks ass and the new style system has been dumbed down considerable. However, the characters are horrid and the dialogue reminds me of a 15 year old's fan fiction. Storyline was semi-interesting though. And c'mon, new Dante does look like a heroin junkie.
  9. Apr 19, 2013
    I'm not usually a fan of this type of game, see i have not played any of the previous dmc's, but from someone new to dmc, i can say that this is a solid game. After the first play through on med. hard wasn't that much harder. Son of sparda and up is where the challenge begin.
    Story was eh, typical bad guy try to take over the world you stop him, the way of doing it was really out there tho, got to give them that. Gameplay was awesome. moves are fluid easy to link. after this i can see me going to pick up dmc hd collection and trying it out.
  10. May 15, 2013
    Just ignore all fanboys and play the game!!! Everyone here on metacritic is just complaining at how bad it was, but it's actually really fun!! I admit, story is bad, but it makes sense, and the story was never a good part of the Devil May Cry universe anyway!

As for gameplay, it's got the same feel from the past games, even in 30fps, and the camera is never an issue. But this reboot does not have a lock-on control, making it seem that the guns Ebony and Ivory have minds of their own. Dodging is now easier compared to the past games!!!
    And I'm really pleased at how the weapon system was done, you still have Dante's Signature sword "The Rebellion" which works as the balanced weapon, and now you also have Angel and Devil weapons each with their own style, blue angel weapons deal quick light damage and cover more distance, and Demon weapons are the strong power house weapons. And you can easily and quickly use these weapons at your disposal by holding down either the left or right trigger.

But if you truly want to enjoy this game, you have to play it once, and then play it again ON SON OF SPARDA MODE!! The enemy A.I. is really easy, I was able to beat the game easily on the Nephilim difficulty, (And this is coming from a guy who never played the past DmC games till after this one, or even Beyonetta) the enemy A.I. are pretty slow and have many attack warnings, and I even found a goof that some of the enemy's won't attack you unless they're visible on camera. So I suggest playing this on Son of Sparda mode or Dante Must Die Mode! But overall great game, just treat all the other angry fanboys like the Demons in the game, ignore what they say and beat the crap out of them!
  11. Aug 27, 2013
    Fans of Devil May Cry franchise can abandon their fears as Ninja Theory’s treatment to the Devil May Cry franchise takes Dante into a newer, better world, complete with a fantastic combat system, stunning visuals and an amazing story of brothers Dante and Vergil’s fight against a demon king. This is Devil May Cry at its finest, covered in the blood of demons and angels alike.
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    I will admit, I never played any of the original DMC games but there's something people seem to forget. This is a REBOOT! The team that worked on this wanted to make the game in their own vision and wanted to use this game as a way for new people (like me) to get into the series, and I believe they succeeded.

I NEVER cared about DMC until I played this game, the gameplay was really fun

I NEVER cared about DMC until I played this game, the gameplay was really fun and fast paced, the story was just okay but I was told that DMC was not mostly known for it's story anyway and I thought the boss battles were excellent. I played and replayed this game multiple times. It's not the greatest game I ever played but it definitely got me interested in the series so that's a win.
  13. May 3, 2013
    In my opinion a good game. I grew tired of the devil may cry series when no.4 came out despite being a huge fan of 1 and 3. This game seems to be different to many of the other devil may cry games in the battles, locations and most noticeably the characters. The game is alot darker but more modern (not a haunted castle in sight, which while it was cool gets abit old). The huge differenceIn my opinion a good game. I grew tired of the devil may cry series when no.4 came out despite being a huge fan of 1 and 3. This game seems to be different to many of the other devil may cry games in the battles, locations and most noticeably the characters. The game is alot darker but more modern (not a haunted castle in sight, which while it was cool gets abit old). The huge difference is Dante himself, while he's had many changes in personality over the years this is possibly the biggest, he's basically a incredibly cruel guy in almost every aspect, in the beginning he shows this cruel side to everyone, including his allies. By the end of the game he is even harsher in some ways but shows some small shame for the things he does to his enemies. I wouldn't put this in the same series as the other DMC to be honest. It's an entirely new one so old fans will definitely hate it. Expand
  14. May 19, 2013
    Its a great game the story is really good compared to some other hack and slash games I've played I wish the new Dante was more like the Dante in previous games but other than that and few combat issues I had it was a really good game I'd highly recommend
  15. Aug 14, 2013
    So dmc is finally here and is awesome the combat is refreshing the graphics are some of the best i have seen the only problem is the new dante he is annoying and will offend anyone who liked the old dante like me but that dose not mean the game deserves 2 out of ten come on guys that's just silly. Overall dmc is a solid hack and slash that's why i give dmc a eight out of ten
  16. Jun 10, 2013
    Being new to the Devil May Cry universe I found the new addition to the franchise entertaining from a action aspect as well with a kick ass soundtrack written by Noisia and Combichrist. With that said. I beat it on the hell and hell difficultly and once you have mastered the combo's and upgraded every weapon it's a slight challenge. Getting a Sensational ranking is very easy compared toBeing new to the Devil May Cry universe I found the new addition to the franchise entertaining from a action aspect as well with a kick ass soundtrack written by Noisia and Combichrist. With that said. I beat it on the hell and hell difficultly and once you have mastered the combo's and upgraded every weapon it's a slight challenge. Getting a Sensational ranking is very easy compared to previous Devil May Cry's. The game does make you feel like a badass in combat but some fight's are generic and can get a little tedious and annoying. I enjoyed the Limbo parts of the game and it shows Ninja Theory had some great artistic designs but the story is were this game starts to suffer. To be honest the new look of Dante never steered me away from the game but it was his lack of a interesting character along with Kat and Vergil. Bob Barbas the demonic Raptor Reporter was the greatest and most fun boss battle I've battled in a while at the same time some boss battles are copy and paste and there is not much for innovation. The camera angles can sometimes build a mind of it's own and leave you stuck staring at the ceiling but it's a minor issue. The final verdict is that it's a okay game after going back through all of the difficulties and getting most of the achievements. The DLC Vergil's downfall holds no torch to the actual game. If you are a massive fan of the franchise it might disappoint you with only 2 hours of actual gameplay and a somewhat half assed tale of Vergil's Downfall. If Ninja Theory made a DMC 2 I'd give it a try but the game has gotten a lot of hate but if you want to give this a try, wait till a huge price drop and give it ago! Don't set your expectations high. Plus there is a moment in the game were a white wig happens to flop onto Dante's head and he looks into a mirror reflecting on the old style of Dante. Dante smirks and says, "Not in a million years". With this said it's a huge middle finger to the older franchise and like I said myself not being a huge fan of the serious I felt the anger with that being in the game. It was unnecessary and it goes to show you where the company feels about the past games and the history of DMC. We might not see a DMC 2 and with that I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed. Expand
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    The motion capture was pretty awesome than the other DmC games. I just like the combat weapon (Angels & Demon) where there is pulling enemies, shooting time and alternate impact games. The new Dante design it's so cheap. The only think i like in the game was a enjoyable gameplay. than the character's design that was so cheap.
  18. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  19. Jul 30, 2013
    When i first started playing DMC it was a while back when 4 came out. I played and got hooked. I bought the H-D collection which had 1,2, and 3 and they were fun. Then I heard of this DMC and I was excited. Then i bought it and I only have 1 major gripe with the game. No lock on. WHY NOT? but it is cool looking and the graphics were cool and i know I will get a lot of s!@# for this but iWhen i first started playing DMC it was a while back when 4 came out. I played and got hooked. I bought the H-D collection which had 1,2, and 3 and they were fun. Then I heard of this DMC and I was excited. Then i bought it and I only have 1 major gripe with the game. No lock on. WHY NOT? but it is cool looking and the graphics were cool and i know I will get a lot of s!@# for this but i like the new Dante more than the old one. Expand
  20. Aug 18, 2013
    Wow, how pathetic are people to flood metacritic with 1's simply because they're upset over Dante not having white hair..... People need to grow up, and metacritic needs to filter the BS user scores for this game because having an 86 for critic rating, and a 4.8 for user ratings makes it painfully obvious that the reviews are not rating the game, they are trolling it.
  21. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a great game and perhaps the best hack-and-slash game I have played. The story is well written, the characters are believable(Dante even more so than in previous DmC games) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throw in some fun, easily controllable fast-paced combat and fantastic boss battles along with 9 different difficulty levels to play through, and you have yourself a completeThis is a great game and perhaps the best hack-and-slash game I have played. The story is well written, the characters are believable(Dante even more so than in previous DmC games) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throw in some fun, easily controllable fast-paced combat and fantastic boss battles along with 9 different difficulty levels to play through, and you have yourself a complete package. This game is well worth it and I highly recommend that you pick it up. Expand
  22. Oct 10, 2013
    I hate these fan boys of the past Dante and say how the story of this game is bad. The story for me is like one of the best stories of devil may cry it makes sense and is compelling, it feels more realistic for a story line, but don't get me wrong the old DMC's are great but I prefer this story line. Everyone seems to talk about the downs of this game what? where's the ups like how theI hate these fan boys of the past Dante and say how the story of this game is bad. The story for me is like one of the best stories of devil may cry it makes sense and is compelling, it feels more realistic for a story line, but don't get me wrong the old DMC's are great but I prefer this story line. Everyone seems to talk about the downs of this game what? where's the ups like how the combat is much more fluent and combos feel great to get and how swapping between weapons is so easy. The writing for this story was serious but at some points hilarious, the new Dante may be a "emo-tized" but you grow to like him towards the end as he comes from that don't care attitude to a more I do care attitude and me with the shooting the baby thing its a game its trying show that Virgil is corrupted with evil necessities and also his lust for power, overall the game is great I enjoyed intensely and was not bored through one bit of the game. Expand
  23. Dec 23, 2013
    i played this game starting to think that this is the worst game ever made in hole history but it wasn't as desapointed as i thought,but it is still disapointed.
  24. Oct 25, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies likePlayed DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  25. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,aThis game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,a patch of his hair turns white after he accquires demon form thats the explenation to why he has white hair in the others and its a decent one.. Do not listen to the idiots complaining about this game.. I never tought id say this but i agree with the reviewers way more compared to the public.. Expand
  26. Jan 9, 2014
    I want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game iI want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game i have played does not mean i don't know what is going on. In this game you are Dante who you just suspect first as a lady's man who enjoys partying but after he is attacked by a demon in the first level he gets drawn into a secret war where demons walk among the human populace. Within the first level you meet Kat who becomes very instrumental in helping Dante on his journey. Then after Kay helps get him out of limbo she takes her to meet another character named Vergil who is the leader of this group that may seem like a terrorist group but you will find out that they are actually fighting the demons that walk among the humans. When Dante meets Vergil, Vergil tries to convince Dante to join but at first Dante refuses but when convinced Dante goes into limbo where he discovers his origins which i won't spoil for you because it is very interesting. Anyways after that Dante agrees to assist Vergil's cause which is too help humanity in a certain way against the demons. Now i want to talk about some of the games positives, first the Unreal Engine makes this games visuals extremely fun to look, in this game you will be spending most of your time in limbo, and thats where visuals come into play, the level of detail in this game i believe can compete with some of the other hack n slashers out there such as Dante's Inferno, and the God of War series. You will see constantly the environment breaking apart and reshaping itself. The boss battles are another big positive to this game because not only are they really cool characters but again they use the visuals really well so when the bosses use their attacks they are just a wonder to look at, there really is no way to fully describe them. Another really strong positive to this game is the voice acting and facial animations, all the characters are believable they sound like they actually put hard work into their characters, and the facial animations are just spot on, no lip syncing problems, i would go as far to say that these facial animations are on par with LA Noire, YES they are that good. I may have said this before the story is really well written, its worth a ride and it is simply a fun roller coaster ride, there is one major plot twist at the end which brings me to my next point, this games ending is both action packed and emotional with a sense of morality. Now i will say without spoiling it the final boss battle will not end with who you think. It is so rare to find now a days a good game ending that is so satisfying it sticks with you in your mind, which this ending will do to you, because all of the characters are really memorable. One of the final positives for this game is the weapon selection and combat system throughout the game you will be introduced to at least 7 or 8 weapons, and each of them have their own visual flare, plus the best thing with this weapon and combat system is that yes the game gives you some standard combos but if you want to put some imagination into it you can switch weapons mid combo to create some really insane looking combos. This combat system is not repetitive in any major way, because the enemies in the game provide a challenge in a way that they don't just use one attack over and over again just like you they will mix and match their attacks. Now i have found no major glitches, no drop of the facial animations, and thankfully no drop in the frame rate. Now it may seem like this game in my mind is perfect with no significant flaws but there is just one flaw in the story, and it deals with the context of a certain scene in the opening cut scene. What it is, is that in the beginning Dante is in a strip club, and he is with two of the girls there, he has fun with them then takes them back to his trailer and the scene that results is that the two girls are in the trailer with Dante and he has more fun with them, and you will see the trailer bouncing up and down implying that Dante and the two girls are having strong sex. Well i didn't have a problem with he club scene because Dante was just there watching and charming the girls, and i also didn't have a problem with him taking them home but after that i think they should have cut it off there then resume when Dante wakes up the next morning. I just believe the scene i described when Dante takes them into the trailer did not have much context to be in there. So to me that was just a small disconnect from the story. I would like to say i am not against sex in video i just prefer it when it has context. In conclusion i would highly recommend this game to anyone, and my final score is really 9.75 Expand
  27. Nov 26, 2013
    very solid gameplay and it has a great storyline. fans need to stop whining about how they changed dante's look (even though i miss the old one) and how they dramtically changed some of the personality. Vergil still wants power and mundus is still cold hearted and evil. Kat is an ok female character but not lady/trish good. What they got right was gameplay and style and how amazing it feltvery solid gameplay and it has a great storyline. fans need to stop whining about how they changed dante's look (even though i miss the old one) and how they dramtically changed some of the personality. Vergil still wants power and mundus is still cold hearted and evil. Kat is an ok female character but not lady/trish good. What they got right was gameplay and style and how amazing it felt to fight the bosses. The final boss was amazing in away how it complicated dante's growth and his caring to try and redeem the boss and protect humanity. V Expand
  28. Jan 5, 2014
    This is my honest review from a fan of the original Devil May Cry series ever since the first on the PS2. This is a good game, it's a great hack and slash/extreme combat game but not a truly worthy Devil May Cry game. DmC is a lot of fun it has a good combat system that is very simple and easy for people new to this genre or who simply couldn't get into previous Devil May Crys and I wouldThis is my honest review from a fan of the original Devil May Cry series ever since the first on the PS2. This is a good game, it's a great hack and slash/extreme combat game but not a truly worthy Devil May Cry game. DmC is a lot of fun it has a good combat system that is very simple and easy for people new to this genre or who simply couldn't get into previous Devil May Crys and I would recommend it to that sort of person and then recommend that if you like it go and play the originals (not 2 though that one sucks) if you want more depth and complexity so that you can experience the best this genre has to offer. Unfortunately for veterans I have to say that this games lack of difficulty, lack of a lock on feature (why?????) sometimes lacking boss battles which were always a highlight of the originals, swallowed out, simplified and sometimes restricted combat and ridiculously generous style meter is what let this game down for me. Instead of creating a game that would be a true and worthy successor/reboot to the DMC franchise it has been geared down to be more accessible to non veterans in an attempt to boost sales and appeal which has backfired as it only sold 1.1 million far below its original forecast. had this game been a new IP from Ninja Theory it would have been very impressive, but it just doesn't live up to its legacy (it's definitely a lot better than DMC2 though, that's for sure) Again if your new to this Franchise/Genre or just simply couldn't get into the previous DMC's and wanted to go for it this is an ideal game for you, however if you are a veteran try to find as much video footage of play throughs as possible so that you can see for yourself and make up your own mind as its very hard to describe in words whether this game is for you or not. for me personally this game could've been a lot better if they hadn't stripped it of the mechanics and difficulty that made me and kept me as a fan for over ten years. I can also honestly say that you should ignore the ridiculous overating this game has received from so called professional critics who are only giving it such praise to spite anyone who didn't want this reboot, have never played a previous DMC game, clearly haven't thoroughly played this game through or just to try to counter the also ridiculous hate this game has received from fans. The user score on this website isn't fair it deserves better than that but I certainly prefer the original especially DMC 3 which was the best although 4 was still great. whichever approach you have come from in researching this game do more and make up your own mind but the combination of critic and user reviews here on Metacritic is very unreliable. Expand
  29. Dec 9, 2013
    personally I loved this game, I suspect the majority of negative reviews have come from devil may cry fanboys who are unable to move on from past games. If you like fast paced action games and aren't stuck in the past and are able to accept change give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
  30. Jan 19, 2014
    Quick lesson on me. 1: I've played all 4 of the previous Devil May Cry games. 2: I've beaten and liked 1-3 (finished 1 at least 10 times)

When playing this game with the other games in mind you must remember one important thing: you play Devil May Cry games for the action, not the story. And personally, I believe DmC is amazing when it comes to the action. The story and characters arent absolutely terrible like many believe. The art style for the game is actually pretty interesting and I like it a bit.

Like I said earlier, you play for the action in this series. Really, I believe the action is the best in this game out of all 5 of the games in the series. When you fight a large amount of enemies it is fun and exhilarating. The tracks that play during the fights add to feel of kicking ass in my opinion. When you get a new weapon you feel awesome and want to just destroy everything. I like the way to combat system works and I believe it is done well here. There are only a few exceptions where I feel the game is a bit unfair (Im looking at you Tyrants and the final boss!) but besides that it doesnt feel like you are out-matched when fighting. It feels nice when you hit a bunch of enemies and watch your combo meter skyrocket.

For a hack-n-slash fighting game it does it's job well and pretty amazingly I would have to say. It's my favorite Devil May Cry game in the series when it comes to the action (you know, that thing Dmc games are known for). When I first played this game, it reeled me in with it's high octane fighting and soundtrack. I ended up not putting down the game until I finished it. It's a great game for people who like simple hack-n-slash with a little secret collecting.
  31. Feb 11, 2014
    It is a good game with a good story. It was a nice reboot of a great series. When you compare it to the previous games, it falls flat, but as a stand-alone it was an immersive game with good graphics and an easy-to-understand fighting style. Overall it was a little too easy, and in other places it seemed the story was trying too hard to appeal to fans. It could be juvenile and theIt is a good game with a good story. It was a nice reboot of a great series. When you compare it to the previous games, it falls flat, but as a stand-alone it was an immersive game with good graphics and an easy-to-understand fighting style. Overall it was a little too easy, and in other places it seemed the story was trying too hard to appeal to fans. It could be juvenile and the backstory of characters such as Dante and Vergil seem to rely on prior knowledge of the series, so if I was someone who had never played a Devil May Cry game, I would find the story hard to get into but still a great game. Expand
  32. Aug 20, 2014
    Quite possibly the worst game in the franchise. Even worse than Devil May Cry 2 from the original series. The storyline and dialogue sound like it was written by a five-year old, and don't even get me started on the color-coated enemies. Just whose idea was it to make color-coded enemies and weapons?! The boss fights do not live up to their name, either. I also can't believe that theQuite possibly the worst game in the franchise. Even worse than Devil May Cry 2 from the original series. The storyline and dialogue sound like it was written by a five-year old, and don't even get me started on the color-coated enemies. Just whose idea was it to make color-coded enemies and weapons?! The boss fights do not live up to their name, either. I also can't believe that the critics here gave this game a score of 86. That really shows how quality of gaming is going down the drain. Also, this new version of Dante looks and acts like a womanizing crackhead who also does meth. Also, when the hell are you going to introduce angels as a plot point, when we don't see any during the entire game? Except for Eva, and of course, Vergil, whom don't even count because they're basically giant lawn gnomes that do nothing. Yes, Vergil does nothing, even if he's a playable character at one point. Long story short, there should be a hell of a lot of holy fire going on, but I'm not seeing any of it. This game did nothing to live up to it's hype, and all it did was injure my wallet. Expand
  33. May 27, 2014
    Good graphics. Only this. The rest stinks. Really hated the game. Judge me, I'm not a big fan of Devil May Cry series, only played 'cuz I thought that it could be fun. I was mistaken. Very mistaken.
  34. Mar 13, 2014
    Ignore all the flack that this reboot gets. It's fun, and really, that's all that should matter with a video game. Only problem I had with it is that it's far too easy. Literally the ONLY gripe I have with it.
  35. Apr 17, 2014
    Many give this game heaps trouble because of the new Dante, who I do admit is VERY unlikeable and him with the rest of his buds just look like a tree house gang hating bad Mr Demon King who stole their ball. But don't listen to them, they are just fan boys who are just whinnig abut it not being the same as the original games. So for fluent, engaging combat, a interesting take on the storyMany give this game heaps trouble because of the new Dante, who I do admit is VERY unlikeable and him with the rest of his buds just look like a tree house gang hating bad Mr Demon King who stole their ball. But don't listen to them, they are just fan boys who are just whinnig abut it not being the same as the original games. So for fluent, engaging combat, a interesting take on the story and JAW DROPPING designs to pretty much everything this gets a recommendation from me. However things you must note is that there is no lock on feature which can be very annoying and you should plan to play through it multiple times in order to get to the harder difficulties like Dante must die as the default ones are just too easy. Expand
  36. May 8, 2014
    All people who already talked about the game...well all is already said.The game is good as an reboot...but the story is lacking and the characters are just ****
  37. Jun 9, 2014
    Yes it takes a bit of a darker tone with Dante, but come on. The visuals are amazing, the voice acting is alright, the combat was awesome, and who could forget Combichrist! I can literally sum up what I loved most about the game with one word. Combichrist!
  38. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judgingThis is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judging this game entirely on subjective terms. Expand
  39. Jul 22, 2014
    This is the **** game I have ever seen ever in 15 years of gaming. Whoever gives money to the **** at Ninja Theory studio, know that I will find you and **** on your face.

I wanted to vomit after seeing the trailer and kill myself after seeing some gameplay.

This is the truth, I am not exxagerating. Peace out!
  40. Aug 16, 2014
    In my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and IIn my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and I did not get tired. Expand
  41. Dec 21, 2014
    A really solid HnS game. Nice visuals, and an intriguing storyline.

If you're looking for a game you can spend some time just blowing off stress with, here you go
  42. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start about this game? Well first off I want to say that DMC fans don't dislike this game because ''they don't like change''. If that were true, DMC would've died years ago, since each DMC has been pretty different from the last. Each Dante was different too. I'll explain just why this game fails objectively and subjectively.

The plot isn't all that logical. Mundus (the demon king) wants to control the world through debt, but... why, exactly? Because he hates humans? He wants them to be enslaved? And why would he want that? Why not kill them altogether in his demon form, or let other demons do it for him? Where did this Mundus even come from, and why would he send demons after Dante if Dante never posed a threat? Mundus didn't even know about Vergil, so it's possible Dante would just leave Mundus alone.
    The plot, in my opinion, is kinda childish. Like somebody else said, it's a typical 'corporations are evil, government is bad' story.
    The characters are pretty unremarkable, not likable. Kat goes from shy to annoying and passive-aggressive in the blink of an eye. Vergil comes across as whiny and generally insane. If we're supposed to feel bad about his fight with Dante and his fall from grace and transformation into a wannabe dictator... well... I don't. It doesn't work because Vergil was unlikable in the first place. He stabs people in the back, shoots them in the stomach and lets it sink in... he's honorless.
    Dante is an uncaring and obnoxious guy. His character would've worked better if it allowed for drama; if Dante's demeanor were contrasted with bouts of emotionality. As it is, Dante never inspires you to love him or to laugh at any jokes he makes. He's unethical and disturbed just like Vergil, and that never really changes.
    And the plot ending makes little sense. Dante decides, based on his interactions with Kat (who was useless, ran away, got caught, etc) that humans can rule themselves and aren't useless in any way. Why is Kat a character when Dante could just interact with local humans? Maybe some humans could be part of the Order, so that Dante can get to know humans better? Naah, of course not, that would make too much sense. Vergil's revelation that he wanted to rule the humans (with Dante) wasn't a revelation... we already knew he had plans, it was telegraphed multiple times in overly obvious ways.

The gameplay's poor. You've got no styles, which means fewer moves than in DMC3 and 4. You've got no lock-on mechanism, making you randomly target enemies (usually the one closest to you, though). The angel weapons are underpowered, while the demon weapons are overpowered. Some enemies force you to use angel/demon weapons only, which limits your combos. Those weapons just don't have large enough movesets.
    Almost every combo finisher sends enemies flying, meaning you're forced to use the Demon Pull or Angel Lift if you want to keep attacking.
    The bosses are so easy it's insulting, and it comes down to being forced to exploit their weaknesses with platforming. Devil Trigger only makes it even easier because it's a slow time function.
    Platforming, by the way, isn't platforming at all. It requires no skill, and little timing. All you do is press the same button over and over.
    Overall, the game's too easy. You get SSS rankings like candy.

The soundtrack and the acting are okay, not much else. The guy voicing Vergil sounds believable, if a bit annoying. Tim Phillips (Dante) sounds thoroughly bored, even when the writing tells him to be shocked or angry. When he yells, he sounds like he doesn't mean it... just bad acting. The best voice actor would be the one who voiced Kat, whom I can find very few faults with.
    The music is okay, though like the game, overly edgy. It comes across as trying too hard, and it would've been nice if it were more like songs rather than anthems.

Graphics are nice, it looks surreal and menacing. That said, all the color and contrastlessness (yeah a new word) really got to me. Got a nice headache souvenir from Limbo. The characters sometimes look weird too - Kat's face shape seems to change with each cutscene, and V&D occasionally look like mannequins or something.

I don't see why this game gets high grades from some people. It's not even as good as DMC3, a game from 2005. Bayonetta 2 is far superior to DmC in almost every way, and in the end, it's more similar to DMC too. DmC threw everything (except gameplay) that defined Devil May Cry in the trash. And yeah, I am a DMC fan, but that also makes me a good critic of new products in the franchise. I advise you not to support this game. Get the HD Collection and DMC4 if you want a 'fix'. This game's only decent.

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.