5.0

1. Jan 15, 2013
    It's hard to start on this game. The story is insipid, it's very juvenile and hamfisted in its presentation and it shamelessly takes from the film They Live. You shouldn't expect to be enriched by it.

But the game's worst part is that it's gameplay is just.. mediocre. It's slow, clunky enemies are unmemorable and bosses are very poorly done.

Instead of using insane combos and quick
    reaction to defeat the bosses, it's mostly just dodge their one big swipe attack and then use some platforming gimmick to make them weak. It's something I'd expect from a Legend of Zelda boss. The combat at it's core, is well. Mediocre. It's a clear downgrade from previous games but on it's own it's playable. It's just nothing special. Devil May Cry had some potential, but it's developers didn't have the competency to carry it out. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're
    fighting EVIL DEMON BILL O 'REILLY head, they have to make him yell DO IT LIVE, in case you hadn't caught on to the fact that it was bill o reilly.

The only good part of the story is the interaction between Dante and Vergil, which hilariously is ruined by the ending, because Ninja Theory had to have a sequel hook. Oh, and the final boss fight occurs for literally no reason whatsoever.

The Combat is bad. Slow, plodding, and boring. No Lock-On limits options. Enemies requiring specific weapons limits options. The ability to fly forever as long as you have an enemy to beat on makes the game pathetically easy. The weapons are all either useless or overpowered. Certain enemies are a chore to fight because they only take damage from the weakest weapons and everything has too much health, especially on higher difficulties.

No Replayability. Replayability in previous DMC games and games like Ninja Gaiden come from the grading system. You replay levels to get a high score, or on a harder difficulty because traditionally games like this have NOT had gradient difficulty. In Devil May Cry games before this one, increasing the difficulty made enemies behave differently, sometimes radically so. In DmC it just gives them much more health, and slightly increases the damage they do.

The style system is utterly broken. It's based on damage rather than variety, allowing players to button mash their way into a perfect rank. It never degrades unless hit, a vast departure from previous games. The 'Completition' score, which is based on how many secrets you find, locks when you find everything, so you never have to collect them again on subsequent playthroughs of the level. This allows players to cheese the grading system by collecting everything on one run, and then jetting through the level as quickly as possible on another to get the best time ranking. Perfect scores in other games are testaments to your skill. In DmC they are testaments to having 20 minutes to burn.

No interesting bossfights beyond the final one, which is a watered down version of the encounter at the end of Devil May Cry 3.

In summary, DmC: Devil May Cry, is bad. It has bad writing, bad gameplay, bad grading, bad bosses, and no replayability. Don't buy it. Don't even rent it.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a generic rebellious, "Occupy Wall Street", da-corporashuns-ar-evul teenage anarchist and his quest to destroy the evil not-Fox-News.

On the visual end, it's passable for a game designed to run on ancient hardware. There are noticeable frame rate drops and the performance is often shaky at best, but the general appearance of the world is interesting to a fault. The actual design of the levels however, is not. It's very straightforward and boring, with little variance in what you actually have to do.

Ultimately, the game will leave long standing fans upset and disappointed, and newcomers confused and disgusted. Pass on it.
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    It's almost as bad as predicted. The combat can be fun, however everything else is like a middle finger to the fans of the series with bad writing(even for Devil May Cry), awful story, uninteresting characters, and little challenge.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    I can't believe i paid 60 dollars for this piece of garbage. Playing this game on Dante must die mode was about as hard as DMC 4 on Easy. I play games to be challenged not to hold my hand. I could have forgiven this, only if the story wasn't such a predictable bore.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 3/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until release lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is offensively terrible.

Let's go step by step.

First, the story. The story is a juvenile orgy of teenage-level 'anarchism' and events that make me believe the writers may be borderline psychotic. Our 'heroes' shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach, wait until she realizes her unborn child is dead, then kill her. Then later, our heroes say they enjoyed watching the wet chunks splatter on the floor. Other parts are no better. The Slurm Queen from Futurama makes an appearance, except instead of being funny, we are meant to take this seriously. Ninja Theory copied a ridiculous scenario from a cartoon and tried to make a serious world domination plan from it. Pitiful. Later in the game, you fight a 'parody' of Bill O'Reilly. I say parody because it's really not, it's too obvious. Ninja Theory thinks you are stupid however, and has to have the boss yell DO IT LIVE multiple times during the fight, in case you didn't catch their clever bit of completely obvious, dated, obsolete social commentary. If the sniper rifle abortions, plagiarism, and bad social commentary weren't enough, the main antagonist spends most of the game have intercourse with his daughter. Classy.

Next, the gameplay in general. It is bad. The Combat is bad, but I'll get into the technical aspects of that in a moment. The gameplay is constantly broken up with unskippable cutscenes. It is almost as bad as Resident Evil 6, another major offender. Capcom seems to have issues with this and this gmae is no exception. Ninja Theory also included a lot of platforming in their reboot, which makes sense as their environments are the nicest parts of the game. However, they're really just fancy hallways in which you do the same basic platforming over and over again, and quickly become a chore, and seem like filler.

The Combat is significantly dumbed down from DMC, or games like Ninja Gaiden. The style system is utterly broken, allowing players to mash to stardom, enemies do almost no damage when they even bother to attack, and Dante's Devil Trigger allows him to effortlessly obliterate everything while also slowing down time and rapidly regenerating his health. Angel Weapons do almost no damage, and while in other games using them would boost your score, in DmC score is based on damage, so they are pointless. Or they would be, if not for the fact some enemies ONLY TAKE DAMAGE FROM THEM. This becomes a chore as enemies are walking meatballs, able to absorb ridiculous amounts of damage, especially on higher difficulties. The Boss battles include 4 giant floating enemies that clumsily attack Dante and are more akin to platforming challenges, and two weaker versions of bosses from DMC3. Original!

The game fails technically other than the environments and facial mocap. Voice acting is atrocious, frame rate drops constantly, struggling to meet the already barely acceptable 30fps. Characters move like stiff boards except for the face, which becomes unsettling to look at.

Replayability is gone. Gradient difficulty rather than the more involved difficulties from previous games robs this game of any reason to be replayed. Furthermore, the game is short. About 6 hours, even with the unskippable cutscenes and platforming padding.

If you have not played every game in the 'stylish action' genre made in the past decade, play any number of those rather than DmC. And if you have, well, you standards should be too high for this anyway. Avoid.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is simply 'Meh'. There is nothing outstanding that will warrant a purchase.

Under normal circumstances I would rate it higher, if the game wasn't pretending to be a Devil May Cry game. I've noticed in official reviews that the game is apparently 'amazing compared to Devil May Cry 1' which I think may be a decade old by this point.

Big game reviewers are trying to claim this
    game is fantastic, gripping and amazing - You can see who gets ad revenue from Capcom if their reviews sing along those lines.

This game is Heavenly Sword with terrible story and writing, nothing written in this game is worth listening to. Fear for your sanity if you are looking forward to this story.

This game is a shell of the former glory that was DMC3 and (the Dante parts) of DMC4.
    Honestly, I think that Ninja Theory only played DMC2 and Nero in DMC4 when they were designing this mess.

In closing, this game is average. I rated it slightly lower because it's trying to be DMC.
    Fanboys, please don't immediately scream hate in my direction, I tried to be as unbiased as possible when playing this, and I'm not particularly happy with the death of one of my favorite franchises.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A **** INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: **** YOU! Expand
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    I was a long time fan of DMC, but this DmC isn't the same game I once loved. The combat was touted to be more accessible, but I found it too easy as a veteran of the previous games. When the game does let you play its a slow button masher, but action is readily interrupted by cutscenes and the whole experience became an annoyance by the end of things. The weapon switching was not instant like I felt that it should be, the lag between my trigger pulls and the actual in game action was noticeable and irritating. The fire and ice enemies made the game more of a chore when fighting in areas of mixed enemies, this severely limited my choices and combos would fall flat as the lack of lock-on would send Dante attacking in the wrong directions. The story was abysmal, but I don't buy action games for the story. Unfortunately the gameplay cannot float this game alone with more platforming than actual fights. Expand
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    dmc devil may cry is a shameless reboot to a great franchise,this game has obscene violence and even a sex scene in it. ninja theory claim its a shakespear-esk game but in reality its a pitiful game
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    Simply put, this game is horrible, the dialog is horrible, the story sucks, the game is so damn easy, the gameplay is dumbed down, this game has absolutely no challenge, even on the hard modes and worst of all, Dante's look and personality disgusted me. I never finished the game, I got bored and sick of it, so I stopped playing it and popped in my DMC HD collection to get the bad taste out of my mouth and thankfully can still appreciate and enjoy those games a lot more. I'll be trading this sack of **** in tomorrow.

If you have the need to play a good Hack n Slash game, skip this pile of **** and pick up the Devil May Cry HD collection, then you'll get 3 Hack n Slash games that are a lot better for a lot less money.
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    NT's latest reboot of DmC franchise is exactly what gamers should hate gaming right now. It depicts how casualized gaming has become,, so it can appeal to the broader audience. Sure, the argument against it is, hey, Capcom wants to make money, so of course the right thing to do is to appeal to the biggest demographic there is, which is apparently 12 years old kids spouting memes and swear words on XBL. So really, if you are a fan of DmC franchise, this game is not targeted at you. Expand
  15. DMP
    Jan 15, 2013
    The game isn't completely horrible as some make it out to be. But if you're the type for hack-'n'-slash, especially a fan of the Devil May Cry series, you're in for some real disappointment. I am a long term fan of DMC, starting off from the first playing up until 4. Now, the Devil May Cry series isn't supposed to be known for it's story, but after the developers Ninja Theory made some comments about their DmC story rivaling literature and cinema (paraphrased) of today, you might want to consider it a selling point. And after you play this game, you will realize that that selling point is in the other direction. The story is horrible, and progresses its self through cutscenes after cutscenes of nonsense. It doesn't stop there; Dante constantly talks and deliver the worst one-liners in the series in this game that make you want to cringe.

The combat is way dumbed down, with the removal of lock-on and taunt from previous game in the series, leaves you with simple button-mashing on poorly developed enemies.

The target audience for Capcom and NT with this game are newcomers: younger generation of gamers and casual video game players that never had a DMC experience before. They may get those people, but Capcom and NT have thrown a few middle-fingers to existing fans throughout its development and handled poor user feedback and criticism shamefully. It'll be a shame if there is a sequel in this reboot and not in the classic DMC series.

I don't mind the music change personally, but it does get dull after a while listening to the same dubstep music over and over.

This game still has merits. I think it rightfully deserves a 4 for still being playable, just extremely and exhausting mediocre for a pedantic experience.
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points.

Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes.

Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them.

The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used.
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    Gameplay is atrocious compared to DMC 3 and 4. Its is a huge step backwards. Jump cancelling is put in the game just because the previous 2 games had it. In this game jump cancelling is lame. You can hit the skybox on the maps with jump cancelling and that devil bringer rip off. You can keep a enemy in the air indefinitely and be safe from everything else. While previous DMC games it was a test of skill on how long you can stay in the air, this game hand feeds you air time.

The reason for this is because NT/Capcom wanted casuals to feel pro or something while playing a DMC game. So they watch videos of pro players for DMC3/4 and they are in the air most of the time and they just put the two together. They just made it so its super easy to stay in the air. They totally missed the point of DMC's high level gameplay, which was to make your enemies look bad and you look stylish. Air time is just a byproduct. So what we end up with is a clunky combat system with awkward controls. Donte pauses for a brief moment after every attack which contributes to making the gameplay clunky. There's too much platforming in this game. Pointless platforming. They make too much of a deal out of the shifting environment shtick. While previous DMC games never had strong stories, they were still enjoyable games and had enjoyable characters. DmC however is just screams tryhard and edgy. All that cussing is uncalled for.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    What i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down to medium setting for the time being. I'll give anyone who completes this game on the hardest setting a cookie because you deserve it if you do lol. Expand
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    As a fan of Devil May Cry i couldnt wait to get my hands on a new game. Then i heard it was being made by a new developer which kinda worried me a bit, but its Devil May Cry so i bought it regardless. Even though its different its also the same, it takes a little getting used to, but once you do its a great game, one of the best in the series (a HELL of a lot better than Devil May Cry 2 and 4 thats for sure) Im really enjoying it. Expand
  20. Jan 19, 2013
    first thing first.... gaming journalist are big fat liars and are calling us fanboys and "you are all about the hair" that we are haters and so on...
    and the ratings... people those "official rating" are too hight and came out all at THE SAME TIME... and all of them are refferring to us like "haters" "fanboys" "afraid of change" even "stupid" or "terrorists"

gee, thanks. never knew
    was a crime to not like a reboot too much different from the main series now i know... thanks... i will turn myself in cause i'm a terrorist not liking a game

LIES!!!!!

it's not about the hairs it never was.... it was the feel of the game, this game both story and gameplay do not belong in the devil may cry series...

the story is a rip off of an old movie "they live" check it out if you don't believe me.
    the mechanics and gameplay are clunky and does'nt fel right for a dmc game, it's a lot more like dante's inferno(the whip mechanics are too much similar), i could'nt get SSS rating at the other games so easly ...this time the first time i played i got it without even trying. the combat is not deep is easy and clunky you can master it in less tha an hour of game
    new dante doesn't feel right, he's a bad character who say bad words and bang strippers, the enemies are most like ripped off dante's inferno again but some adding like chainsaw and old shaving tools attached on their arms... most of them wanna make me puke. we have a sex demon scene who made almost puke, the "limbo thing" is ripped off bayonetta's "purgatory" and most of the background looks like bayonetta's background who had stripped on dante's inferno enemies
    AAAAH oh my god the music... this music is so horrible it gave me an headache lightning fast (especially the dubstep music)

I gotta say... it's not a bad or awful game, it's a decent game. it's just not a proper devil may cry who want to be it but it fails... but the horrible fact is that the gaming journalist are ling about it
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    I was willing to give it a shot, even with the redesigned Dante, but the game is just terrible. From Sniper Rifle abortions to "Yah-Matt-Too" and the "I've got a bigger !@#$", the writing was absolutely atrocious. Gameplay isn't exactly bad, because you can still do some interesting things, but it's such a step down from DMC3 or 4 that I felt more restricted than Nero felt in 4. The game is also way shorter than previous entries, not counting the unskippable cut-scenes. Please, don't support this game. Expand
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    Combat is slow, limited and has next to no variety i.e enemies that can only be killed by one weapon, no styles, angel/demon stance ripped straight from heavenly sword, another game by NT. Story is a rip-off of they live. Character development, design and dialogue are outright outrageous and disgusting, not to mention it insults the fans of the franchise. There's even a scene in which one of the protagonist's allies shoots an unborn child and then kills the mother after she realizes what happened, while in the previous games he despised guns. The only redeeming points about this game are the visuals. Expand
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is an affront to everything the original series stood for; gone is the high level difficult gameplay and replaced with a watered-down mediocre experience that presents itself as somehow superior to the previous installments. The story is bland and laughable, especially so because of how pompous and full of hubris Ninja Theory has been in their declarations, stating this game would shatter the perception of what a game could be and would attain "Shakespearean"-level storytelling. No new innovations are actually present in the new game aside from increased amounts of platforming, which is hardly what drives the core gameplay. In addition to the watered down combat the Stylish meter is no long a measure of how varied your combat can be, or how creative you are, but rather just a hit counter with a different set of paint, you can literally use the same attack to go from D to SSS.

If you are a fan of the original series DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

If you are a fool who loves blatant attempts at cashing in on recognizable franchise then this one is for you!
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    First of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness and powerful feel to them for the first half of the game that disappears later on as enemies start demanding certain types used. This destroys any semblance of flow the game may have had. This coupled with a meaningless combo system (since you can get SSS without trying) leaves everything feeling generally hollow.

The environment has much the same issue. At first it's an interesting romp through many varied and somewhat interesting zones, and while the scenery looks nice, it does nothing save throw you into the occasional, overly simplistic platforming puzzle. When I said it's like the combat, well, I meant that it gets worse as time goes on. The scenery just becomes generic and boring later on, as if the devs just gave up and said **** it".

The story is where the game truly dims. Everyone knows it at this point: the story is childish, cliched, and seemingly written by a 12 year old with a chip no their shoulder. Pretty much every character has the inability to act their age, and the story line itself is a complete bore and would still be a bore even if the characters acted with a sliver of maturity. As a Devil May Cry game, this should be buried and forgotten. As a generic action game, this should be played with the volume off and all cut scenes skipped. It's certainly not worth it's full price, and it sickens me that there are so many high "official" reviews which show me nothing more than either A. Reviewers have lost all credibility and ability to rate fairly. or B. Bribery is alive and well.

Don't buy this game, if you haven't played earlier Devil May Cry games, I can at least say 4 is worth it. If you have played earlier Devil May Cry games, play them again, because this one isn't one.
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    The game is a complete train wreak. Absolute garbage from beginning to end. The characters are idiotic, the writing is cheesy, the gameplay is slow and boring, and the framerate is locked at 30 fps. I had more fun unclogging my toilet than playing this game.
  26. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? How about with the complaint that Ninja Theory and Capcom are brushing aside? This is the new entry in a decade long franchise, but has been taken in a vastly new direction - NT and Capcom would have you believe this excuses them for all the ridiculous decisions they've made. Dubbed "Donte" by skeptics, the main character has undergone rather a bizarre transformation. Where before we controlled a light-hearted half-human, half-demon devil slayer with a fondness for pizza, crazy action and adventure, now we're playing as a half-demon, half-angel potty mouth teenager. Is he a badly designed character? A well designed character? That is by and large, a matter of opinion, and I do not find him to my tastes. He is written poorly and his goals are nonsensical, as is his motivation - which seems to primarily exist in the form of a throw-away female who has questionable relationships with squirrels.

Unfortunately, Tony Redgrave isn't the only one hit by the re-design hammer. His brother, Vergil - now dubbed as Vorgil or Vergul or the like, was once a power hungry half-demon, driven to this by his failure to protect his beloved mother. Now? He's rather like Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta. Only poorly acted, with with a fixation for acting like "Anonymous". Once he hated human firearms, but in DmC, the katana wielder uses a military grade rifle to shoot a pregnant demon hostage in the womb - and after giving her enough time to realise that he's just given her a rather swift abortion, pops her in the head. His brother later brags about this to the demonic 'father' figure.

That leads us nicely into the plot of DmC. There's not really much to say - seen the movie, They Live? It's more or less that. Mundus is controlling humans and blue isn't very happy about that, and he requires the help of his brother red to assist him. What follows is 5-6 hours of running about, swearing like demented teenagers and predictable plot-threads with no semblance of a character arc. Indeed, rather than an arc, the characters simply transition from one perspective to the other, in a completely illogical manner. But none of that is really important. Story, writing, characters, dialogue - inconsequential in a Devil May Cry game for the most part, excessive fluff that only adds to the package deal. So what about the core? What about the gameplay? Oh boy...
    I could complain about how I don't enjoy the gameplay in DmC, but that's all opinion and I'm sure you'd just disagree with me - I'll start off with some hard facts:
    DmC runs at half the framerate of DMC3 and DMC4
    DmC has 13 less moves than DMC3, and that's being generous. DmC has 8 weapons. DMC3 had 10. This is again being generous as many of the weapons in DmC act more like modifiers than actual new movesets.
    DmC has no styles, you could argue that the weapons have been rolled in with the styles. DMC3 had six styles. Some enemies in DmC are (seemingly) immune to certain weapons, forcing you to play in a specific way, whereas in prior games, you had more freedom.
    At the same time, many enemies in DmC can simply be stunlocked with a single attack with no hope of breaking free. There are many battles in the game that can be won by using one hand, one attack, and not even looking at the screen because there's (very poorly implemented) auto-aim and no lock-on.
    Those are facts that cannot be denied, but on the subject of opinion? I find the game to be a boring button masher with no depth, there's no room for creativity and I didn't die a single time during my time spent playing (up to and including Son of Sparda) In every way, shape and form, this is a downgrade from previous games in the series. Taking a different path doesn't excuse it for being inferior to prior games in every area. What about the visual presentation? This is perhaps the game's strongest point. When I say presentation, I don't mean performance - DMC4 ran at a solid 60FPS and rarely seemed to dip below that, even in the most elaborate and grand of battles. DmC runs at 30FPS max, and often dips as low as 15 if not lower, seeming to average out at around 20-25. I didn't experience any hard-crashes, but did run into a number of stupid glitches that seem like they shouldn't exist in a game with this high a budget.
    Visually, the game has some nice touches.

The way that Limbo shifts about is a pleasant effect, if not mind-blowing, and whilst the characters designs are not to my tastes, at least some of the assets are of high quality. It's just a shame that you can't say the same about the gameplay, the writing, the story and so on. The character of Donte simply isn't one I wanted to root for, he had no redeeming features and was thoroughly unlikable.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. Buy the DMC HD collection if you want some proper Devil May Cry. Already beat it? Try Anarchy Reigns, or Bayonetta, or Vanquish, or Metal Gear Rising.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unfortunately, this game is a prime example of what is wrong with the state of the gaming industry today. I'll make this quick. Here is a list of things that just didn't work:

1) No fighting styles. In DMC3 you had 6 styles, and in DMC4 you had 5 - and in that game you could even switch between them. These styles allowed for a high number of techniques to be used, and added a variety of ways to replay each mission. In DmC, although the designers have attempted to consolidate all the general ideas of the styles into one style - ultimately it is simplified, with dozens of things missed out.

2) 30 frames per second instead of 60. This means that the game looks less smooth, but more importantly, it means it is half as responsive. You have half as much information to work with when anticipating an enemy attack, and the delay between you pressing a button and anything happening on screw is doubled.

3) No lock on. Especially important when trying to single out a particular enemy, if you want to drag them towards you with the whip, or use a particular attack (if they are only susceptible to certain things, you don't want to accidentally target them with a move which doesn't work on them). Also, with no lock on, it means you cannot tell how much health enemies have left, particularly important in DMD mode.

4) Style system doesn't work. In DMC3, the style meter went up rapidly, but then would decrease rapidly. You had to use a variety of moves in order to maintain an SSS rank. Now, the style meter will not drop, unless you get hit. So you can stand around all day, or just use the same move over and over again. 5) Demon dodge is ridiculous. If you time the demon dodge correctly, you are given a style boost which can lead to you very rapidly getting SSS. You may argue that you can get to SSS very easily in DMC3 as well, but as I said above - it would drop very quickly too in that game. Now, if you can get to SSS in DmC using one or two combos, then that means the rest of the fight does not encourage variation or style of any kind.

6) Staying in the air makes you too safe, and it's too easy to stay in the air. There are moves which can allow you to stay in the air indefinitely - which is bad enough. But then couple this with the grapples which can just pull in the next enemy - or use the mid-air launcher with the scythe - and it means that once you get to SSS, you can just jump in the air, and keep doing that all day, it's broken. In addition, the areas you fight in are just too big, so it's very easy to get away, grapple a single enemy and kill them, and repeat.

7) Guns do barley any damage and don't give you enough style. Also, there are only 3 guns, and so many of the gunslinger moves are no longer present. You can't even aim in two directions with ebony and ivory. I really miss Artemis, and there's no gun stinger with the shotgun either? I know they took that out in 4, and I hated that too.

8) As well as the scythe being too useful to drag enemies into the air, the axe is also just way too overpowered in general, giving you too much damage, having very long ranged attacks - which launch enemies! And also providing you with too much style. Also, Aquila is ridiculous, allowing you to disable enemies for long periods of time, and even suck in multiple enemies from all around you, so that they are in a neat bunch for you to hit all at once. That kind of thing should not be available to you at the touch of a button, it's too powerful.

9) Hardly any boss fights - I mean I think I counted only about 5 or 6? Maybe 7? There were lots more than that in DMC3. Also they're more like set pieces than anything, and there's always nonsensical interruptions with cut scenes which bugs me.

10) No taunt. Some might not think it's a big deal, but to me it is a great way to appear stylish, punctuate a combo and show off, farm the DT, and for something to do when enemies are at range.

11) Weird controls. I don't like having to hold down Angel or Demon buttons to get moves to come out. It should be toggle activated. Also, two buttons for dodge? Really? Also, there is absolutely no point in the standard dodge, when the angel and demon ones have abilities and no draw back. 12) DT makes no sense. It isn't a devil trigger, it's some kind of weird anti-gravity thing. Dante does not turn into a demon anymore. I don't understand what it means, and how is he an angel either? 13) Childish script and misunderstanding of the characters. You think Dante is bad? Wait for Vergil. Some of the things out of his mouth are plain ridiculous.

14) Too much platforming and walking around, seriously, sometimes there is 8 minutes of cutscenes and walking / jumping before an enemy spawns in a mission! Replaying some of these missions to get the top SSS ranking is tedious as you have to go through all this empty space.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I go into the game, remember this took close to five years to be developed with an already established game engine.

Story: What can I say, it really just sounds like someone has issues with life. Dante is some guy living in a trailer who is brought in to help fight against the demons who secretly rule the world using mind controlling soft drinks. Besides the immature dialogue and the see through plot, the characters themselves have no redeeming points. Dante harasses the humans he's trying to protect and be's a jerk to everyone except the girl he likes. Vergil kills a child in the womb and allows the mother a moment to realise her child is dead before he kills her as well and laughs about it.
    These two are brothers and while the relationship is established during the game, it just feels forced and when they inevitably fight because of opposing opinions (Vergil offended Dante's girl) there's no feeling to it. Overall the story has stolen many ideas and concepts from other movies and games that executed them better.

The Gameplay is what the DMC franchise is known for. The lack of a lock on button means you'll be flailing around as the jittery camera spins during fights. The combos aren't as impressive as you think, in the old series tying your combos together helped gain a better score and allowed you easier means to beat your enemies. In this game, you can get a good score by either finding poorly hidden secrets (big red shiny door that glows) or by using a move with the axe that allows an instant SSS (highest style score). The bosses aren't challenging even on the highest difficulties. The poison fight was the most hilarious. When the boss does it's sweep attack, you can parry it which allows you to drag it down *cut scene* allowing you ten seconds to pummel it. Fair enough...except your attacks can finish it off within that ten seconds and then *cut scene*. Every boss is like this, one you find their weakness they are easily demolished. Worse yet, if you don't kill them in that ten seconds they rise and do the exact same attack again without fail allowing you over and over again if need be to pummel them without fear of being hit.
    Switching the weapons really feels pointless for starters when you gain an axe near the start of the game which does incredibly damage to everything. But you have to hold triggers down and tap the d-pad until you find the weapon you want and by then your rythem will be messed up. Oh yeah, style metres don't drop unless your hit, which would be a problem if the enemies attacked you. I waited fifteen seconds at one stage for one of them to attack me! Then when they attack they strike a pose, wait three seconds while their weapons flashes brightly signalling an attack, your given the option of choosing to use two evade buttons (they do the same thing) or jump out the way. Still, despite the combat, you'll be holding out for these moments as the rest of the seven hour game is filled with plat forming and jumping. Wouldn't mind this if the game wasn't a Hack 'n' Slash proclaimed to be the best of it's genre with great combat.
    The devil trigger feels to me like a slap in the face to the old fans. I didn't get involved in all the wars between the two fanbases, but why does a 'Devil' trigger make him get white hair and a Red coat? I thought that was the point of a reboot was to bring life into a franchise and to reinvigorate it, so they give you a button that makes the new Dante look like old Dante (despite him apparently being uncool, a loser, unfashionable)?
    He is half angel, half demon...why not just call it his 'Trigger' / 'Release' / 'Ascension' mode or something? Devil trigger implies he turns into a demon...

Sound and Audio is a meh. Personally I'm not into recorded human farts (I wish I was joking here) and little pops that represent gunfire. The sounds are lackluster but it's a damn sight better than the dialogue which consists of "F**K YOU!" - "YOU WH**E". I honestly wouldn't mind if this wasn't forced upon you and felt like it suited the game and the atmosphere but it just sounds juvenile.

Re-playability is really up to the user. Me? I won't be touching it again and will be dropping it off at my nearest game store. The secrets aren't really that good, the DLC just adds extra costumes (why they included a DMC 3 Dante outfit when they already have a Dante Trigger I don't know?) a game mode that all the others DMC games except the first had for free and a Vergil's downfall which is sort of a spoiler if you haven't already seen the entire game on Youtube or paid much attention to the games story (which I can't really condemn you for)

Overall I could have gone alot more into detail on this game on just how BAD it is. For years we've had journalists saying this is the best game ever, but this is just pathetic. Five years and this is it?. It may have the name Devil May Cry but it will never have it's light!
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is an insult to everyone that's a fan of the older DMC games. Protagonist is an edgy teenager pandering to 15 year olds that can't swear in front of their mommies or they won't get dessert after dinner, style meter was completely destroyed, runs at 30 FPS, has no lock-in button and most weapons are useless if you can just axe people to death, horrible soundtrack. Gave it a 1 cause it has nice visuals sometimes. Expand
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    Where to start with this awful game...

Struggles to maintain 30 FPS when DMC 3 and DMC 4 maintained 60 FPS; this means DmC can rarely handle more than 4 enemies on screen. Cutscenes tend to have issues with noticeable FPS drops
    Characters are unlikable. Donte is a prick that acts like trailer trash, Vorgil kills a defenseless woman, and Kat is just a plot device. After Vorgil kills
    Lilith and her baby, Donte mocks Mundus about it. I know that we're suppose to hate Mundus for being the 1%, but come the **** on; that's just heartless. How can NT sit there with a straight face and tell me that Donte and Vorgil are so much better people than Mundus?
    Game doesn't have any of the over-the-top cutscenes that became a big part of the action genre in DMC 3. Instead, Donte and Vorgil are edgy and abort fetuses.
    The dialogue is awful **** you, **** you, **** you).
    There are no more styles; only generic light, medium, and heavy stances. Welcome to Heavenly Sword 2.0.
    Style meter is more-or-less a damage meter now. You don't have to mix up your combos. Just keep hitting them with Arbiter.
    Demon Dodge + Arbiter gives you an easy SSS (S rank alone should never be easy in DMC, otherwise where's the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment?)
    The plot is awful. It's a rip-off of They Live and poorly done at that. After Mundus dies, the hellgate opens and demons pour out. I guess Donte and Vorgil don't seem to care that countless humans will likely die because now demons are running wild through the world. Donte fights Vorgil because Vorgil wants to rule humans, but Donte refuses to kill him because he'd be worse than Vorgil or some **** like that. The plot doesn't make sense.
    Gameplay is watered-down. Each weapon has significantly less combos than in DMC 3 or DMC 4. There's a dedicated launch button now instead of the class lock-on button+hold back+B or Square. The game has two dodge buttons; two dodge buttons is a waste.
    There's no lock-on. What does the game honestly gain by losing the lock-on button to focus on the specific enemy you want to attack?

The game is just one deeply offensive insult to DMC fans. Don't listen to the gaming "journalists" that antagonize and troll DMC fans over this; this game is absolute garbage. We've known that it's garbage from a design perspective for years and the demo confirmed that the gameplay is a trainwreck, but it still receives 9s and 8s. Do yourself a favor and buy anything else. DMC HD Collection and DMC 4 cost less than DmC and are much better. You can buy Bayonetta and that game is much better. You can wait next month for MGR.
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    I really want a true sequel to the old ones, rather than a reboot. Why isnt this an official prequel, rather than a parralel universe? Really disapointing story and universe, while it is an ok game. Dont buy it.
  32. Jan 15, 2013
    Coming from a long time DMC fan this game is great. Sure i had my doubts like many others after hearing ninja theory was rebooting the series. And boy was i wrong this game turned out to be awesome. Combat is great (on par with dmc 3 but different style, still jc is in) and the story is a good start to this new franchise. Can't wait to see what they have in store for DmC 2!!!
  33. Jan 15, 2013
    I have the game early since and the way you get the weapons are TERRIBLE. So far out of the three weapons i got 1 of them was from a boss. The weapons arent creative at all, especially the fists one.
  34. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry was a very niche franchise with loyal, die hard fans, DMC3 is critically acclaimed and may probably be the BEST action game ever to grace console and PC so far, so when DMC4 came out we were all expecting much more and because of Capcoms failings to live up to fan expectation we now have this reboot.

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong
    way, certain things are expected from a DMC game and have been reportedly lacking in the reboot, DMC was never about accessibility, it was challenging and offered layers of depth for those who mastered the complex combat system, having only spent a single play through of both sections of the demo I cant say to much with certainty, but I found the combat lacking in depth, fluidity and style, racking up an SSS rank was a challenge but its so easy now I feel like its lost its meaning.

With almost no chance of seeing a return of the former franchise, all the questions are left unanswered and no ending or closure may ever be given, it's really not hard to understand why fans are upset Capcom. =/
  35. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  36. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reduction in the number of maneuvers possible. I hope they try to raise the bar with the combat in the inevitable sequel. Its certainly BETTER than what was in the demo, but thats not saying much. Its also better than NT's previous titles by a large margin so good on them. Heck I'd say its even better than God of War. But it absolutely does NOT deserve the Devil May Cry name. Those are massive boots to fill. MASSIVE. DMC started the 3D action genre in 2001. Its the only reason there was a market for **** games like Heavenly Sword. If you want to be the next DMC developer, you have to focus on the combat. Do whatever you want with the character design and story - I really don't care at the end of the day so long as the combat is world-class like previous titles. What we got instead was a generic light-heavy system that has plagued the genre for years due to mediocre game design and incompetent game developers. Expand
  37. Jan 15, 2013
    This game caused a lot of controversy, taking a beloved hardcore franchise and rebooting and changing everything to grab an audience that might not even exist is a risky move. But did it pay off? No. Despite changing VERY MUCH of the game due to fan outcry, we have an underwhelming action game made by an amateur developer. They are trying to sell this to us as a deep hardcore action title that lives up to or is BETTER than the original games, but it just isn't at all. The combat is easy, very easy. Getting a high score is ridiculously because two of the weapons are broken. One of the weapons in the game is entirely worthless in fact. There's no sense of balance. Everything has been dumbed down considerably, the lead combat designer even admits he has no idea how what you see in professional DMC player videos works. So the company Capcom chose has no idea how to make a game in the franchise or genre. Either the enemies are punching bags, or they're annoying and gimmicky and break the pace of the game entirely. As the game moves into its final 3rd, MOST of the enemies you face will be these gimmick enemies who can only be hit by a single weapon. It's frustrating that you are unlocking more weapons and moves but the game is forcing you to use less of them. The lack of a lock-on feature causes some issues with attacking what you want. The controls are clunky and slightly slow. The bosses are a joke. This is NOT the game to go to for your hardcore action fix. It's functional and at its best when you are fighting several small enemies at once. It is at its worst when you are fighting enemies who can only be damaged by a specific weapon. There's lots of unskippable cutscenes that break up the gameplay and there's platforming that doesn't add much to the game as well. Ninja Theory has never been known for good gameplay though, so how does it fare in the other parts of the game? Well not much better. The soundtrack for the game is comprised too much of electronic scrubbing and sweeping noises, it's boring and they could have easily done better. The voice acting is unemotional and amateurish. The story is bland, predictable, and the characters unlikable. I ended up liking the villains more than the heroes and never understood why the villains were the bad guy in the first place. Visually though, this game is amazing. This game may have changed my entire opinion on Unreal Engine 3, I always thought it was **** before I played DmC. But here they've crafted a gorgeous, visually spectacular game. The colors are vibrant, the environments are cool and interesting, the special effects are super cool. Sadly the environments get less inspired as the game goes on. The highlight of the game is Chapter 10, only halfway through the whole game. All in all DmC isn't good enough to justify carrying the Devil May Cry name and won't satisfy hardcore players. The 360 version is the way to go if your PC isn't beefy enough to run Unreal 3 as the PS3 version is very choppy Expand
  38. Jan 15, 2013
    Anything that was remotely challenging about previous entries in the series has been completely edited out and what remains is a cutscene riddled, slow paced "action" game that puts more emphasis on trying to be "edgy" by overuse of curse words.

Even if you disregard the fact that Dante has been rebooted to a younger audience the gameplay still lacks in every area due to easy difficulty
    levels and slow action.

If you've played the previous entries there is nothing new or exciting about this game and you should just let it fly off your radar
  39. Jan 15, 2013
    To begin with, i think it's rediculous that paid-reviewers are giving this game scores in the 90s and above. When i say paid reviewers, that can be taken in two ways, either they are paid as a job to review games professionally, or Capcom has bribed them to just give 8/9 out of 10 as a rule, no matter how much of a train wreck it is. This is one of those games.

To begin with, when
    you're making a reboot of a series, be it a movie, or a video game, or any piece of media, it helps to check what came before, as a guide-post to show you what was worth keeping, and what needed to be fixed. The Batman series did this, Nolan looked at what was good about the old batman movies, and what went wrong, he kept the dark under-tones, the gadgets, the focus on action. But dropped the campy 60s vibe, and the over-the-top villain designs.

DmC has done half of this. They set out to re-model the old Dante, who, as far as i know wasn't really the reason the game series was worse. But fair enough, they re-modeled him, into a foul mouthed brat basically, a far different affair to the camp, humourous, over-the-top Dante we used to have. The new Dante swears every other sentence, and is quite happy to let his brother kill babies and pregnant women, not really hero material, i know, not even anti-hero material. But giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the old one needed the reboot, fine, we'll ignore this, the thing Ninja theory have focused on as 'the sole reason DmC is controvercial', was the dante overhall.

Problem is, Devil May Cry, has only ever been on the very surface of it, a game about visuals, story, and Dante. The core of the game is it's game-play, games are supposed to be played, not watched. Old Devil May Cry was known for it's challenge, it's fluid and perfect combat system. The new DmC has taken absolutely nothing from the old series staple game-play system, it has the rankings of D-C-B-A-S etc. But it no longer has styles, and you are dropped to a bare minimum of weapons. The gameplay is effectively lifted from Ninja Theory's past failed game, heavenly sword. There is no lock on, you're trapped with 3 very boring, standard weapons. And in total, the game has a lifespan that lasts about one sitting. It isn't very difficult, whatsoever, even on it's harder modes.

All in all, the game is as bad as the negative hype built it to be. I was hoping that the game would just get past the basic negative hype of 'Dante looks different, boo!' and have a solid action game underneath with a decent story. Instead, it's built on that negativity, even the core gameplay is missing. Either way, Devil May Cry as a series is done for, if this game sells well, there'll be another, and the old series will be replaced. If this game fails, we won't see another game for many years.
  40. Jan 15, 2013
    While many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everything right while they clearly have not. Expand
  41. Jan 15, 2013
    30fps with slowdowns, sluggish combat, and Ninja Theory and Capcom's utter disregard for the original Devil May Cry fans are just some of the reasons that this games falls flat on its face. Even if this game had featured icon Dante, it still would have failed to present anything on the gameplay front, which it horribly lacks in.
    Lack of difficulty, Bad creative directions, and an overall
    careless and shoddy experience is what makes this game deserving of an overall 1/10, as the "limbo" stages actually look quite nice. Expand
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    A surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.The harder difficulties are much appreciated though as the first run-through was waaay too easy on the toughest available difficulty.The controls,though initially tricky,only require a modicrum of practise which I actually didn't mind too much.I had a great deal of fun anyway.The Icing on the cake is the fact that a ton of haters complained,bought it and then complained again.That's almost too too funny .Almost... Expand
  43. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed
    and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  44. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm generally not that in touch with video gaming these days, but I like to play the occasional sequel to titles I remember fondly from teenage years, alongside other recommendations. I was intrigued by DmC, which was a reboot of Devil May Cry, a series I enjoyed for it's likable characters, dark world and the sort of combat you love to learn, and learn to love. It being a reboot I assumed it would be like DMC4, a new setting, maybe new characters, but ultimately the same DMC, because it's not a beloved franchise by accident. I'm going by the logic that Expand
  45. Jan 15, 2013
    DISCLAIMER: As with all reviews, they should be taken with a grain of salt as they are opinions and like opinions they differ considerably from person to person.

Review:
    DmC: Devil May Cry is an decent game within it's own merits but falls short in many other area for one the combat is accessible enough for anyone of any level of gaming to pick up this game and almost immediately began
    to enjoy it. The combat is made to be as gratifying as possible for players, making the player feel accomplished with it's combo system. The combat is done really well, however my major complaints are simply that there isn't enough of it nor is it challenging enough and nowhere near as exciting as the games before it in the series. The game tries it's best to offer variety in its combat with new enemies, new weapons, and new abilities but the game limits you in how you approach enemies, said enemies require said weapon in order to be defeated. That kills the fun that DMC is known for, being "stylish" gone with the days of multiple styles, multiple move sets/weapons, almost every fight can be approached how the player wanted. In DmC it's approached depends solely on how the developer's want you to. Lack of player creativity in this department.

Moving on to the stage design. The stage design is brilliant; Ninja Theory knocked out this one out of the park, the platforming is amazing and Ninja Theory should really consider making a platforming based game; they've proven themselves well in this area. Unfortunately in DmC there is simply way too much of it, and not enough combat. The game feels slowed down and tedious half way through the game due to the over abundance of floating platforms the player must jump on/interact with. It really conflicts with what they were trying to do (a fast paced action game).

In regard to the story it feels like it's trying to be too many things at once, it wants to be hardcore, or it wants to be comedic or it wants to be shocking or it wants to be suspenseful. It just doesn't know, it's trying it's best to excel at all areas but ends up falling short all together and because of this the story (although told in a unique way) becomes uninteresting, protagonist has no character other than trying to appeal to a younger demographic with swears and rude gestures and the like; other characters in the story have little to no personality, become difficult for player to relate to. And a central plot which can be easily determined from the first two missions.

SUMMARY
    +Good combat! +Really good, well thought out stage design.
    +Very accessible -Excessive platforming detracts from the main focus of the game which is the combat
    -Story is unmemorable, tries too hard to be taken seriously
    -Characters are unlikeable and have no depth
    -Not enough variety in combat
    -Graphical downgrade from it's predecessor
    -Limited by it's engine. (Unreal 3)

4/10 - Game is average at best, although it does well in making combat accessible it falls short in many other areas of the game and is nowhere near the quality in comparison of that of it's predecessors in the series.

If you're interested in picking up DmC: Devil May Cry, I strongly recommend you give the game a rent before purchasing.
  46. Jan 15, 2013
    This is one of those games that went from having a deep, complex, and challenging battle system to a game where you press X to win. There is like 1 or 2 combos that you'll use throughout the game and not even come close to needing any of the others. Not to mention the terrible voice acting, asinine plot, and watered down art design to cater to all the new gen console babies. I returned this game day one, I had to resort to lying about how the game with scratched and wouldn't play. Expand
  47. Jan 15, 2013
    For each good aspect i find like the well implemented platforming, the varying combos, and interesting boss fights, I find another bad flaw to match it. The game is a hack and slash and plays like platformer. The varying combos become useless towards the end of the game. Interesting and unique boss fights like bob barbas are offset by more story driven ones that dumb down what could've been very difficult fights; Vergil, Mundus, and the slurm slug. To place a cherry on the cake, the new Dante seems to be a prequel to what we've seen in the earlier games. His catch phrases seem less funny and more aggressive; Like a child trying to hurt someones feelings at the playground. Expand
  48. Jan 15, 2013
    I think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I would like to say that it is gamers like you guys who is killing the video game industry !! If you dont like the game because its a REBOOT (which means its a new take on the series ) then dont hate on it ! Ninja theory made an execellent game and should not be hated because some whiny little gamers want the old dante back. If game stayed the same we would never get innovative games like dishonored ordark souls. This series needed a REBOOT and i hope that this series will continue and that ninja theory and the public will ignore the dumb biased and objective reviews . Expand
  49. Jan 15, 2013
    The characterization and writing is terrible. The combat, from what I have played so far, is decent. But not quite like the older DMC titles But that's no excuse, because combat is something they draw heavily from its predecessors and previous Ninja Theory titles . Kinda of hard to screw that up doing something when you have a defined template to work with. That being said, everything that DMC 5 tries to do to distinguish itself from the previous DMC titles is where it falls apart. The way they characterize Dante and Vergil makes them extremely unlikable, Kat seems to serve as a plot device more than a character, and the story is incoherent and too self-serious. From what I've seen in the "Official" reviews, let's say GiantBomb for example, it is clear that whoever did that review had not played the previous DMC games. Maybe that's fine for those whose first DMC game is this one. But fans of the franchise tend to have expectations and higher standards, and this particular title does not meet them. So all and all I can I can say that this game is designed to rope in a new audience, and flip off its old one. Expand
  50. Jan 15, 2013
    Long story short, worst thing capcom has done ever, simplistic gameplay instead of technical mechanics based on difficulty levels, retarded plot and an unnecesary reboot, one point for graphics,a game that should have never existed.
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is turgid and awful 'game' in which gameplay consists of mashing the buttons until you receive a good rating - wandering around boring environments and listening to Dunte say things like "C'mere" and "You missed" in a boring 2cool4school Hollywood-esque voice over

The story and art direction is turgid edgy hipster **** with a dash of Screamo metal thrown over the piece like
    cat sick coating a dog turd Expand
  52. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Couple that with the fact that if you hid the name of the game and characters from me, I Expand
  53. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game, oh boy. Speaking as a woman it's vile and reprehensible. Doing whatever disgusting reprehensible thing necessary to get the outcome you want is something the main villain is supposed to do, not the main hero. Yes, Dante was trying to lure Mundus away from the Hellgate, but it Expand
  54. Jan 17, 2013
    Well, I finished this game in only a few hours and was heavily disappointed. I made sure not to listen to any fans bashing the game because it wasn't the same as the originals just so I could observe it for myself and as a standalone game; not an entry into the series.

I'm okay with swearing, but the characters were swearing and using sexual imagery constantly, it was completely
    juvenile. The story was extremely boring, just a simple "we are special because of x so this means we are the only ones who can kill y". The gameplay was also very repetitive with bosses that would take one swing every few minutes and let you wail on them forever until you dodge their next move, it was disgustingly easy even on the highest difficulty.

Do not buy this game, if you want to play it then just buy it second hand but don't expect anything good.
  55. Jan 15, 2013
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good:

While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was
    not DLC.

While the platforming is rather shallow, it does manage to show off the very impressive environments. The music seems to be fitting for the game style, and while not really my style, it never seemed to bother me too much.

The bad: Overall, the game is too easy even on higher difficulties, I found myself sustaining 0 damage on some of the bosses, SSS style ranking by repeating two combos over and over, only one if I managed to land it after a demon evade. surprisingly, a normal foe, a dual sword wielding enemy managed to be more challenging than every single boss in the game.

Out of 5 melee weapons the game provides, 2 of them manage to be rather useless, since the remaining three cover all your needs, I am talking about Rebellion, Arbiter and Aquila. This also happens with firearms, going from useless, to useful, to broken. You could say those weapons are there to give variety, you would be wrong, and I explain why next ...

Color coding, apparently the combat designer felt the best way to show off the move set was not letting you use it, you come across these color coded enemies as the game gets "harder", that can only be damaged by either a demon weapon or an angel one, the moveset on Aquila (angel) and (Arbiter) are very superior than your other options, so is their damage output, which you need since these enemies have lots of health, there goes variety.

The frame rate drops a lot to 20 fps (the old ones were 60 solid), especially towards the end when even cut-scenes suffer from it, in the very few scenes where the heavy handed red/orange/blue filter goes away, the city starts showing the unreal engine, everything looks grey with lots of bloom, with PS2 like textures and geometry.

The chief designer claims that this will elevate storytelling in games to the level of film and theatre ....

The old games were 80s B action movie cheesy, the dialog and story on this one were soap opera bad, if they made soap operas for edgy 14 year old boys and men during midlife crisis, I never knew sex scenes and profanity could be badly written until now, it´s full of shock value, no substance at all. Felt like watching The Hangover again, like an unfunny episode of Family Guy, I mean there was an abortion by sniper rifle. When the game takes itself serious it fails miserably at it too, taking a boss from Futurama character motivations from They Live and Stars Wars prequels. They removed taunting because it felt unrealistic, and yet the they show demon bosses being killed by a single bullet on a cutscene when previous game play shows those same bosses barely damaged by 400 bullets each. they also show the main antagonist, a super smart boy prodigy blabbing his master plan,in front of the wrong people at the wrong time, the worst possible way, to justify the last battle, which is is copy pasted from DMC3, only much slower.

The game is fun, looks and sounds good too. I got some eye candy, I got shallow but serviceable platforming, and for combat I got 75% old DMC, 10% Dark Sector and 15% Heavenly Sword. .......

This confused me, because when Ninja Theory said they were making it their own, I expected the combat to drastically change, for better or worse, I expected them to walk a different path, and yet it seems they walked the same one, only they gave up half way and called it a day, this made me feel the reboot was rather pointless, unless you really really like dubstep .......
  56. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a messed up game, there's no other way to describe it. The story makes Mass Effect 3 look like a Shakespearean masterpiece, being filled with witty banter like "Who the f*** are you?" "I'm your prom date you ugly sack of s***" "F*** YOU!" "F*** YOU!" and "Now the world is your b*tch and so am I"; pure poetry. Try comparing this dialogue to that of the previous Devil May Cry games, which opened boss fights with funny and occasionally bizarre scenes, such as one where Dante and Agnus act out a strange and over the top parody of Elizabethan drama before fighting. Issues are also raised in the story which far outweigh the the poor dialogue in terms of bringing the game's quality down such as one scene where a character kills murders a pregnant character and her unborn child; it baffles me as to how such a scene was ever allowed to be included in the game. The setting looked to be the only decent part of the game for a while, but it ends up disappointing in the final background, serving only to be backdrops that have no interaction with the gameplay apart from one awful level where you have to dodge flying Word Art barriers The voice acting is awful, with almost every single character, Dante included, sounding totally disconnected from the game, which only worsens the already pore dialogue
    The gameplay itself is a complete bastardisation of the Devil May Cry franchise, being incredibly easy and with far less crazy combos, partially due to the decision to make angel and demon weapons activated by pulling their respective trigger, which greatly limits the number of moves possible. Meanwhile, the demon axe is severely overpowered and the angel weapon is more or less useless, only needed when you fight a particular kind of enemy which is immune to all your other weapons. The AI is awful as well, with enemies slowly lumbering towards you and attacking you one at a time, removing the potential for any great challenge in the game.
    I could write more about this game and why it is so bad, but I'd rather force the game out of my mind and forget it ever existed
  57. Jan 15, 2013
    I really tried to like this game. Really wanted it to be a great game but it turns out its bloody awful.
    Previous devil may crys were stylish action and fast paced combat. There is nothing fast or stylish about this game. The 30fps although allows for better environment it cannot handle quick actions.
    Then comes the combo and ranks, which in this game are not interesting . In fact they
    are sloppy and dull.
    Story wise feels like a twilight movie. I mean for goodness sake the game highlight is the cheesy swearing. Oh and vergil shoots a pregnant woman and dante seems not to care. Honestly if you are a 12 year old who thinks is cool to smoke and swear then this game is for you. If you are a serious gamer and fanboy since back in the day(myself included) then avoid this game or resell it like i did.
  58. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst gameplay and story than DMC 2. Actually, I´m starting to like DMC 2 more now. I don`t feel an evolution in the franchise, and this is the fifth game of DMC. Less weapons than the previous games, with the same exact combos and they do exactly the same! WHY!? I know that Ninja Theory games don`t have good gameplay, but, come on! This is boring as hell! For being the 5th installment in the franchise, it should be better, but this is like a mediocre PS2 hack n´ slash before the first DMC existed. Also, because of the RED/BLUE enemies, you`re restricted to attack them with specific weapons, downgrading the deep in combat. Also, the lack of lock-on is annoying and sometimes the camera moves wherever it want. Textures pop-ups and bad shadows also make me thing I`m playing a 1990 game. Enviroments look great, not doubt about it, but just the first scenarios, the later ones look boring, like they get tired at the end. And speaking of the end, the ending is one of the worst ending in the history of gaming. Looks like a 12 years old boy wrote it... Dialogue was horrible. New Dante is no more ssstylish. He is just an unlikable annoying douche... Vergil is predictable and Kat is just Kat... Boring gameplay, boring storytelling. This reboot was unnecessary... Expand
  59. Jan 15, 2013
    everyone needs to relax and come to one simple question when playing this game: Is it fun? The short answer is, unequivocally, YES. Long answer?
    The game is NOT perfect, do not be the first person to pretend it is. At the same time, its a well done game by a good studio, and while it may not go over the heights of the previous franchise, its still a damn good game. Hell, even the creator
    of Devil May Cry has gone to bat for the developer to say this is a good game and is treated with respect. If anyone is allowed to have an opinion, its him.
    Overall, the gameplay is a ton of fun, and while styles could've been nice to implement here, who knows, maybe in a future installment we can see this.
    The point of this review is that the haters you see in the comment section below have NOT played the game or if they did, they only did so to complain here. They are not the real fans since they are so butthurt over the new look of Dante. And while I miss the old Dante, this is a RE-IMAGINING, not a sequel/prequel. Give the game an honest go, and you will see that the gameplay as well as the story are both fun and memorable. Don't listen to the idiots on this site and try to judge a game for yourself before you knock this one off of your list. My biggest complaint, however is the lock on [which isnt perfect] as well as how over the top the story segments can be.
    However, everyone in the reviewing-game biz can see this is a well-done game [hell Famitsu gave it a 34 out of 40, and we know how hard it is to please them].

so, be a open minded individual, don't give into the hate [which people did before the game even came out] and judge it for yourself. You will be surprised at how much fun you can have. Be honest and you will enjoy this game for what it is. :) This is a good game for any fan AS LONG AS YOU TRY TO HAVE FUN and ENJOY THE GAME FOR WHAT IT IS [a re-imagining with great gameplay, nothing more]
  60. Jan 15, 2013
    man besides the big changes i was definetly hoping a at least playable game, but the wig joke was a greath #$%¨$##$%, man the game sucks in everything, the combos is simple and the hystory is tremendous infantible, well now i put my hopes on metal gear rising, at least raiden looks like a real male android , not like a **** like this hero , shame on capcom to allow they do this to a briliant game like dmc series. Expand
  61. Jan 15, 2013
    I came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hard lock-on means you will be constantly attacking enemies you did not want to attack and your move set is much smaller than previous games. The styles meter is now damage based, which means you can spam the same move over and over to reach SSS rank. Finally series staples much as taunting and styles have been removed. Everything they have done to this game is a step back from previous games, every previous Devil May Cry game has added features and built upon previous games, while this game removes features and adds nothing of value.

TLDR: The game is a piece of garbage that's worse than Devil May Cry 2 save yourself $60 and don't buy it.
  62. Jan 16, 2013
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Where to start with this game, my main problem is that the combat is poorly done with bad mechanics. Many people here have said it better than me before, but its sluggish and repeatative.
    Besides that the story is juvenile and unoriginal, and the abortion scene is both ugly and stupid.... such a scene would be okay if we actually got any
    reason to care, but its just for shock effect.
    Characters are all unlikeable and i find myself hoping they all die by the end.... I Would not recommend this game, and am ashamed of myself for defending and buying it... rent it first to see for yourself or something.. dont pay
  63. Jan 26, 2013
    I have beaten both DMC1 and DMC3 (the original!) on Donte Must Die mode. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden SIgma on master ninja mode. God hand, Bayonetta, all owned and conquered. These games are all highly skill based difficulty, not cheap. I say this to let you know where I come from. DmC deserves a place in their hierarchy.
    1. Lets talk about FUN. The game is fun! The combo's are
    not button mashers, each weapon is designed for a specific purpose, and yet, one can still find unique combinations for excellent demon slaying. Weapons are not only for damage, but excellent crowd control tactics as well. Its excellent and accessible. Accessible does NOT mean easy. Do not judge the game's difficulty on its nephilim mode. I would consider this "normal mode" Most of your negative critics here are judging it on that. The difficulty of the game is about your skill, not cheap enemy moves. The next difficulty mode, Sons of Sparda, speeds up enemy reaction time, aggresiveness, and begins to combine the enemies in new ways. 2. Enemies are a joy to face btw. There's nothing as good as the cats from DMC1, but the enemies are mostly varied, have a weakness to exploit, well animated, and entertaining to fight. While there aren't many bosses, they are entertaining in their own right, and I can see them becoming much more difficult as the difficulty raises. Hell and Hell mode, where Donte dies in one hit, (without using super Donte) may go down as one of the crowning achievements a gamer can accomplish. 3. The game's platforming is a little to be desired. Its repeated a little too often, and is dodgy on "swing" detection" at times. Still, its nothing horrible. As for the story, WHO CARES. Its a game, and a DMC game at that. The story has always been crap. This one isn't really that bad either. You'll watch it on your first playthrough, then skip it as you begin to tackle the real challenge the game has to offer on higher difficulty.
    TLDR If you like fun, accessible, skill based action games that have varrying difficulty for all types of players, GO GET IT NOW.
  64. Jan 15, 2013
    I honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** The story is tasteless and everything has been done before. The voice acting is.. okay. There are moments where when something happens that should be an "OH MY GOD HOLY **** type of thing, but all you get out of the new Dante is "Ohh nooooo." And that's not just the writer trying to make him seem like he doesn't care, as the subtitles say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Clearly indicating that he was meaning to put some actual feeling into it. The gameplay, while more accessible, isn't deep at all. It's kinda fun for the first 3.5/4 hours (half the game, so maybe not that bad) but even then there's not really much you can do. The scythe is a weapon that doesn't kill **** where the axe is a weapon where when you hit something twice you kill them and then a SS ranking for doing so. Everything combat related gets boring and tedious halfway through. You start fighting enemies that limit what you can do to them because only doing one thing will really hurt them. Bosses.. oh god the bosses. Only one of them was even remotely fun to fight. The rest where just a bunch of "do the same thing 10 times oh look now i am dead"

The music is actually pretty well done. I'm not a fan of the metal-type music in this, but the music Noisia did is quite nice. It fits the game well and just sounds nice on it's own.

Now on to graphics. The levels, the way they look and how they play, are pretty much the best thing about the game. I honestly stopped to look around in some of the environments. The combat would look neat, trying to give the feel that I was doing something cool, but it didn't actually feel like it at all. Also, the facial animations are.. not so well done. Half the time I would burst out laughing because of some of the faces people would make in the game. I'm pretty sure they where all unintentionally funny, which is the sad part.

Replayability is there if you like to collect crap, but the game is so easy, even on Sparta Must Die, that it's not really worth it for challenge's sake.

All in all, 5/10. Buy it if you like short, mediocre hack n slash games. If you're interested in it, just wait a bit to pick it up for $20. That's about how much it's worth.
  65. Jan 15, 2013
    When we were kids, who played DMC series, we all dreamed of one day, if we could for just once, open a demon hunting shop, hunting demons ( Evils ) with styles by using creativity and wit so we can be cool.

But the new kids who play DmC, they will all think dropping F bombs, bully fat guys, insulting people and being filthy and dirty are in terns of BEING COOL.

Dante---a true hero
    who acts like he cares free but actually cares about humanity and friends around him with a kind heart. When people said demons never cry, he cried for friends and his family when no one can see it.

Donte--- A FOUL LANGUAGE **** HOLE. Who even think he is the key of humanity.
  66. Jan 20, 2013
    This game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ). And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that in the first 20 min u only want to kill him and his new partner is so weak that u cant just buy the rest of the history. Congrats capcom you kill another great game you **** resident evil and now you are coming for Devil May Cry Expand
  67. Jan 19, 2013
    An average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of the experience rather than adding to it. Glitches galore, exploit them at your leisure. I gave it a 5 because the combat can be fun if you're using most of your brain for something else and some of the visuals. Expand
  68. Jan 15, 2013
    It's obvious that the developers had no respect for fans. The game is also buggy as hell and the style system is broken. See YouTube videos to verify both of those claims.
  69. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst game in the series by far. The gameplay is dumbed down, and Capcom paid off websites to give it good reviews. Between the horribly redesigned Dante, boring and tedious gameplay, and terrible story, this is a terrible reboot of a once-great franchise.
  70. Jan 15, 2013
    The devil may cry franchise has always been one of my favourite franchises ive grown up playing devil may cry but this game has just killed everything that made devil may cry a good game.first of all the new dante is a angsty teenage douche that isnt likable in any way, the combat is now less fluid and too easy and now requires you to use certain weapons to kill certain enemies which has never happened in any devil may cry game because you could beat anyone with anything, also this game just gives out s rank combo for pulling off just a basic combo. the story is awful especially the ending also the character writing is awful the whole game is filled with curses for no reason other then trying to feel edgy and appeal to teenagers. theres a part in the game where a white wig lands on dantes head and he throws it off and says not in a million years that felt like a kick in the nuts to anyone that was a fan to the old games.
    so once again capcom sh*ts on their fans of the older games and once again ninja theory ruins another franchise.
  71. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a really, really bad game. The framerate tanks constantly for no discernible reason, the enemies just stand around waiting for you to kill them, and the bosses have a grand total of about 2 attacks each. If you want a generic bad action game on the same level as Dante's Inferno, this is the game for you! If you want an actual good action game, Grab DMC4, the HD collection, or Bayonetta.
  72. Jan 16, 2013
    The big problem of this game is the name, because comparison with the previous DMC is inevitable. The first mission is good, but just the first mission. The game doesn´t give you something new to the genre. The combat is boring and repetitive and doesn´t give the depth We all feel in DMC 3 and 4. Story is horrendous and some scenes are disgusting (Tameem has a problem with women?). I don´t have problem with changes, but this is just a completely different game with the DMC name on it, just to sell copies. And the worse is all the hate that caused. I can´t believe jornalist can support companies like Ninja Theory. Sorry but this is the first time I can´t recommend a Devil May Cry and it´s sad because it was a great franchise. :( Expand
  73. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  74. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is made with one person, spit in your face in as many ways as possible, and it does just that, that characters are juvenile and unlikable, they alienate old fans with insults to the characters they replaced, as well as having awful dialogue and committing horrible acts (shooting a pregnant woman and taunting the father). The gameplay is sub par, the controls are clunky and the style rating is pointless, giving you a perfect style rating despite you having done nothing stylish. The difficulty is not existent aside form the awful controls, enemies have very few attacks, are stunned by everything, and kindly wait 5 seconds after alerting you to the face they're going to attack before doing so. The art style is ok in parts, but at the start and towards the end becomes rather dull. Oh and one of the protagonists uses squirrel semen, this is canon and affirmed in the dialogue. The game leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and nothing more. Expand
  75. Jan 16, 2013
    Starting with gameplay:
    -Undeniably laughable difficulty, this is an objective fact. You cannot maintain the stance that DMC's even hardest difficulties pose a challenge and claim to be a 'gamer'
    -the Style system, subjectively the most important piece of the Devil May Cry formula has been hideously disemboweled in this title. There are barely penalties for spamming the same move, combos
    can now break through more than one grade, and gaining ranks is child's play. Don't try and claim that this makes it more accessable in a positive way, because the Style system is the most fun and rewarding aspects of Devil May Cry, and this new system replaces building a balsa model with playing with Duplex. See /watch?v=BNyNX0jY7aA before you reply
    -Canceling has been ruined under the new system. Although in previous games the jump-cancel has never been identical, the new system promotes either ignoring the feature of jump-canceling or the explotation of jump-canceling to gain higher combos unfairly.
    -Elimination of lock-on system makes manipulation of direction attacks a thing of the past, and creates a stronger focus on mashing on the enemy in front of you as opposed to using the 3 different lock-on systems to quickly engage a new foe. Basically, this allows people with low brain power to play the game without having to plan out their attacks.

Character design:
    For a full explanation of why Donte is terribly written, please go to /watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc
    However, I will gladly sum up why Donte and the other Ninja Theory cartoon characters are terrible without mentioning the hair.
    -Vorgil, Donte's brother, is now an overly edgy and stupid looking caricature of his role in the past. For instance, in one scene, he purposely shoots a pregnant woman with a sniper rifle with the goal of keeping her alive and aborting the fetus. This is from the character who canonically would not use guns as they were dishonorable. And don't give me any bull about how this is only offending me, as i've seen far worse things handled in far more mature ways. Ninja Theory's only goal here was to be as anti-confirmatory as possible, which they succeeded in in an unintentionally hilarious way.
    -Kat, the main Donte-Gal, uses magic squirrel semen to do magic. To quote the article, "Ninja Theory has kept its sense of humour." Hilarious, right?
    -Donte is a whiny spoiled brat. Watch the video above, seriously. Watch it. This is coming from the goofy, lovable, and overall kindhearted Dante of Devil May Cry. I don't know who could possible prefer the rebooted character over Dante, excluding mallgoths who shop at hot topic Dialogue
    -"F**K YOU' "F**K YOU" "F**K YOU"
    -"I've got a bigger dick"
    -"I am Mundus, the Demon King"
    This game seems like it was written by children, for children.
  76. Jan 17, 2013
    Everything as been said about this joke of a game. Yeah there a few good artistic-wise but it doesn't make up for the rest. Avoid it unless you get it for 10$.
  77. Jan 15, 2013
    Well, they did it, and I fell for it. Let me start out by saying: THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME Let me finish by saying: THIS IS A BAD DMC GAME It tries so hard to be edgy, I felt as if I should go kick my dog. Not everything needs to be gritty, it's just what hollywood is doing. Superman, Oz, Jack and the **** beanstalk? Everything is just so badass and cool it's retarded. Donte is just a wet dream for and 16 year old, and I am returning my copy ASAP and getting the HD collection Expand
  78. Jan 16, 2013
    Gameplay is simpler.
    Gameplay is easier.
    The Story has shameful characters.
    The Graphics are ok, as the music style. But these 2 elements just can't save the rest of the game.
  79. Jan 20, 2013
    Donte the franchise killer. Take the gameplay from Heavenly Sword, the plot from an emo reimagining of They live, and slap Devil May Cry's name on it.
  80. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. I recommend it without any sort of reservation. It's just pure unadulterated fun. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the character action aint half bad either.
  81. Jan 15, 2013
    Anyone reading this review will understand that i am a original fan of the series, but ill try to be objective.
    This DMC games seems like a god of war clone with a "sazzy" pottymouth protagonist with a "attitude" Combat is okay, not great but ok. Boss fights are downright horrible. Graphics seems like something taken out from epic mickey and seems out of place but i suppose its "surreal"

Some story elements are ok enough,but the whole thing reeks of being made for like 15 yrs that wont see the obvious plot direction. Its clear that this game was made for a demographics around 13-15 that still think saying **** is cool. Sadly am 28

Straight to the point, if you like dubstep, 30fps combat,swearing, "special" heroes that are "developing" and your born after 1999 then this game is a good choice when it comes on sale.

If your a fan of the DMC franchise you should stay clear of it...

if your a fan of Dante the character you should avoid it like the plague
  82. Jan 15, 2013
    Forget the old games, DmC: Devil May Cry fails on it's own merit. With an incredibly low skill requirement, combat system that restricts experimentation through "color-coded" enemies, painful platforming, and frustrating controls, there's little to like about this game. While the levels look great, they are as linear as can be and "secret" areas are ham-fistedly obvious with the only challenge being whether or not Dante will choose to grapple correctly or fall to his death. Enemies are passive and lack any real originality, save for a few decent enemy types. The game performs terribly and framerate drops are common and obvious. While the game manages to be relatively bug-free, a few glaring examples still exist such as Dante's ability to jump all the way to the sky box using his occasionally trusty grappling hook. Complaints about the story alone could fill a review several times over but it is the actual gameplay mechanics that make Ninja Theory's latest attempt at success fall flat on its face. Expand
  83. Jan 15, 2013
    Writing is terrible. The story trys to pass itself off as shakespearian but is really just an immature They Live rip-off. Worst is the characters, who are completely unlikable. Gone are Dante's fun, hammy personality and one liners, replaced with **** YOU and blow jobs. Vergil, who went from a stoic, determined swordsman, to a baby killer who brags about his big dick. And Mundus, who went from fallen angel to sleazy businessman (And arguably more likable and sympathetic then Dante or Vergil). Kat is meh, and Phineas is cool, and should honestly be in a better game. The REAL problem with the game, however, is the gameplay. Enemies are significantly dumbed down and combos are designed to be very braindead and mash friendly, which adds up to a game that's so easy you could sleep on it. Enemies that can only be hurt with certain weapons, which really limits the creativity of combos. A screwed up style system that rewards based on damage rather then skill, which means one or two hits from the ax or fist weapons can give you an SSS rank. Poor bossfights. None of the bosses really put their heart into it, and there's only one duel boss in the game, which is also too easy.

Of course, this wouldn't be TOO bad if it weren't for Ninja Theory and Tameem taking so many shots at the old fanbase and games. Not to mention all the "Gaming Journalists" (HA!) getting in on the bashing (I'm actually pretty certain everyone's given this rave reviews just to spite the fanbase. Jim Sterling's review in particular makes this obvious. A Tweet between Ninja Theory and XOM also proves that they payed off at least one reviewer, but I digress.) All this mud slinging is the worst part about this game, as despite all the problems, it's not THAT bad but mearly "So Okay It's Average". The insults are why it gets a zero, and why I got it used instead of new.
  84. Jan 16, 2013
    To start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elements from the old games and changed them making it feel fresh and i like the addition of 2 realms the real world and limbo where you get taken to fight the demons and the edition of the training system makes it easier to learn the new combos .To end this review this is a fantastic game that everyone should try and capcom and ninja theory should feel proud of what they have produced welldone Expand
  85. Jan 17, 2013
    Bad Framerate , Bad Voiceacting , Bad Writing , Bad Ending , Bad Game mechanics .
    Do not trust Smoshgames or any untrustworthy site (IGN *Cough*) .
    Crapcom , get your **** together.. start making games the good old way and stop giving your franchise to artist wannabes.
  86. Jan 18, 2013
    There are valid reasons for the toxic rating of this review. Put simply, this is a blight on the DMC franchise, despite having strengths as a generic game.

The first and most resounding thing that can be said about this game is that it has sent the Devil May Cry series backwards. Having just finished DMD mode, I feel can say this fairly. The gameplay is strong and consistent, but far
    weaker than previous games. It lacks refinement, clarity and most of all, precision. These are some of the factors that had previous defined Devil May Cry in the gaming world. The game's arsenal is varied and the Angel ideas are fresh and invigorate the game, but because they exist as mirror images to most of the Demon arsenal, they lose some of their originality, which is a great shame. One factor that must be praised is that, at times, the level design is phenomenal, with enormous sweeping levels and backdrops that can leave you in awe. This success cannot be overlooked. As the game runs on, certain aspects become increasingly more prominent, especially one - that the game is trying too hard. Trying to be provocative, trying to be relevant to modern times, trying to make its mark on the Devil May Cry franchise. This is perhaps the games biggest downfall, at times utterly spoiling an otherwise enjoyable game. You only have to get as far as the Succubus boss fight to understand where the game is going. Dante repeatedly talks to himself, crudely pointing out the obvious and spoiling the narrative. The language from the cast generally is repulsive. Dante was always rude and arrogant, but he expressed it in forgivable ways. This new Dante does not, having a severly lacking vocabulary and a child's mind, flawing the character and the story. I will avoid judgement on some characters because they have been built from the ground up. However, for Virgil, an existing character, the failure is unforgivable. One of the most original characters ever created in a video game is confined, limited and reduced. This is not the Virgil you know. As Virgil is intended to mirror Dante, so does the criticism. I will avoid my opinion on the new Dante design, but certain things must be said. The realisation of the design is poorly executed with this badly composed in-game model. Although this is a graphical complain, it is rather embarrassing for NT after going to such lengths to create a new Dante and Virgil, then failing to be able to convey their ideas. If this were a new IP, then perhaps I'd be more favorable, but this is a Devil May Cry game and it has a lot to live up to. The graphics fail to match the previous DMC installment, despite it's relative old age. The use of Unreal Engine instead of MS Framework is highly questionable. Another comment is that the political and ethical background to this story is fundamentally flawed by the extremely crude and foul nature of characters on both sides. It only exists to mask the mediocre main story line. I intended to keep this review short, so in conclusion i will say this: The game succeeds in many aspects and the hard work is clear to see, however it let's itself down too many times in trying to match high octane popular culture and come across as "edgy" and "modern", of which is fails in each given attempt. I consider this a blight on an otherwise stylish franchise. My one final message is that I hope and pray that Capcom will take back Devil May Cry and send it back in the right direction. Expand
  87. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  88. Jan 15, 2013
    Ok i am not a fan of DMC but i liked the DMC 3 i though it was a good game with great style and combat. This game has a good combat but i just hate easy games and this reboot it is one of them. It is so much easier than the past other games that i just didnt like it is a bit fun but the lack of challenge really pull me off and then i lost interest.
  89. Jan 16, 2013
    An absolutely dreadful game. Gameplay is dumbed down from its predecessors, soundtrack consists of dubstep (which is inherently bad), graphics are a mixed bag (great environments, but awful character models), and the story is abysmal, featuring unskippable cutscenes, awful dialogue **** YOU!", "and I got a bigger dick", "The world is now your **** as am I"), and a setting straight out of deviantart. If you like dark, gritty games and easy accessible gameplay, you're a ****ing retard and you shouldn't be playing games. Expand
  90. Jan 15, 2013
    I only needed to play the demo and look at the cutscenes on youtube to know this game is complete garbage. They even made fun of the old Dante. They should've let it go at DMC 4.
  91. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is a reboot right?
    So, here is a big question: Why reboot?
    Reboot are usually used when the universe is **** beyond recognition and you have a bunch of plot-holes and stuff you just can't get rid of. So why did they reboot DMC, a great series? For nothing that's why.

And not only did they reboot it, they also picked the worst design choices i have ever seen. Trading DMC
    beautiful worlds for a "hur dur dark n gritty with evul rich peepl" where **** YOU is written all over the walls and a protagonist which only methods of discussing are saying NO U and hostaging dead babies with Ken(Barbie) for a partner? Real smooth move NT.

Not only were the visuals and story throw into the trash but the gameplay too. Now you can get an SSS pressing X three times. How fun!

Anyway, this game is so bad, they will need ANOTHER reboot after it, just to clean it out of the DMC name, which it's not worth of. That is, if NT and crapcom are still alive after this.
  92. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is a very, very weak game, not even counting the other games in the series. I will give it the credit where it is due, first. The concept of the combat is okay. It's probably the most flexible of any hack n' slash I have ever played. But later enemy encounters throw this out the window by requiring specific tactics, which would be okay is a less frantic game but just kills the pacing here. It is far from difficult to get SSS Style rankings consistently, and the second weapon you get, the Arbiter axe, makes this trivial. Limbo is also a really cool concept, and really fun to look at and maneuver through with Dante's new tools, but also feels a bit confined at times, and in some places it's easy to fall off a platform while fighting. With that out of the way, now for the bad news. The story feels like it was immaturely written, including one scene where a woman, demon or not, I don't care, got a rifle abortion, then shot fatally by Vergil. Just... what the hell? That's disgusting. Other highlights include ham-fisted political commentary and the word **** well over a hundred times with little context or meaning. The issue isn't the word itself here. Finally, the horrid, horrid abuse Kat suffered in her backstory just to make her edgy is just misogynistic and uncalled for. Dante, the main character, is likable when bonding with his teammates, but outside of that he feels like a rude little punk, to the point where even Mundus, the local main antagonist, comes across as more likable than him. Dante even insults Mundus about the after-mentioned Rifle-Abortion when Mundus asks why. The dialogue, as mentioned at the overuse of the word **** without context, is very awful. Tameem promised Shakespearean writing, but we got gems like "Me, a god, versus you, a piece of **** and "Dante? The son of Sparda, and Eva THE WHOOOOORE!" The music is nice and varied, but at the same time feels inappropriate to the action onscreen and more than a little irritating, It has no sense of rhythm, and just feels annoying. It may be good independent of the game, but it feels like trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Finally, on the least important but still necessary part of the game: The technical specs and graphics. On both the PS3 and 360 versions, the game runs at Thirty Frames per second, whereas on PC it runs at sixty. This can negatively impact your ability to fight since the fewer frames can lower your reaction time a little. The character designs range from the awesomeness of Vergil's trenchcoat, to the okayishness of Dante's model, to the awful, plastic look of Lilith's model. Again, Limbo looks nice, and probably steals the show here. The PS3 version does have some graphical and technical issues, but it shouldn't be a problem if you're here looking for the XBOX 360 Reviews.

All in all, this was disappointing, and people who just listen to the big-name critics may want to read the more thoroughly written user reviews as well before deciding on buying this game. If you absolutely HAVE to have it, go for the PC version, but I feel this game isn't worth the current $60 price tag.

This has been a review by AzureSoul. Have a nice day.
  93. Jan 16, 2013
    The combat does not feel fluid to say the very least of one of the commonly praised aspects of the newest iteration of Capcom's Devil may Cry. This is no doubt in part due to the design decision of going from the series standard of 60 frames-per-second down to barely 30 frames-per-second. Also there is an incredible lack of combat when comparing previous titles in the series with this one, this re-imagining opts for platforming instead. Interestingly enough as well is that the platforming is one of the few things I'll admit was decent about the game but it was more the unique level design and beauty of the limbo-based environments rather than the actual platforming. The story feels nonsensical and not in the zany way of many high-octane beat em' ups but rather in a Branded and They Live mixed sort of way with a good bit of the OWS(Occupy Wall Street) movement thrown in a giant pot and left to simmer in the sun for a month straight. In terms of other design decisions, the music had effort put into it and does fit the tone the game decided to run with. Overall this does feel like another studio's attempt at recreating the Devil May Cry magic but without great success, I would only recommend this game for renting from a RedBox or Blockbuster or the equivalent thereof. Expand
  94. Jan 16, 2013
    Being cool doesn't mean using *bleep* in every conversation ! this Dante Does not represent the old Dante in any way ( especially his personality ) ! and after seeing the "Wig" joke 1 thing comes to mind " The developers of this game do not respect the original series nor the fans!" .
  95. Jan 15, 2013
    It is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you can infinitely juggle an enemy in the air with the angel and demon grabs, not to mention that you get SSS almost immediately from any attack, and that the game lacks the lock on system necessary to aim attacks at enemies. The music tends to be obnoxious as well but thats subjective.
    However, while the story and gameplay are mediocre at best, it is still fun to hack and slash a bunch of demons, so its still earns itself some points
  96. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll be short: Gameplay is a big step down from DMC 3/4, its been casualised so anyone can achieve SSS with a couple of combos it actually is more akin to God of War than Devil May Cry. Platforming is boring and way too much, bosses are the whole game in general are super easy, the story is a rip-off of "They Live" and in one cutscene a major character shoots a pregnant woman. Music is horrible dubstep but if you like that kind of thing then good for you. The scenarios are cool and very creative but thats about the only thing good in this game. As a stand alone game I would give it a 6/10 but as a Devil May Cry game is a gigantic step back. Expand
  97. Jan 20, 2013
    Namco....what have you done

you don't see people taking Kratos and then making him some scrawny emo kid do you....nooOO

I wonder if it was worth the change though because fans are clearly pissed despite the critics review, but then again no one ever listens to critics these days because they always either get bribed or just make bad decisions...much like Namco did this time
  98. Jan 15, 2013
    When this game was first announced as a reboot by Ninja Theory...I as a HUGE Devil May Cry fan was furious at the direction they took with the game and had convinced myself this game would be a joke and a failure. I wasnt even interested in downloading the demo when it came out, but I began to see many different opinions ... some praising it, others bashing it. I decided to do myself a favor and just give it a chance and put aside my preconceived notions of the game. The Demo was amazing, and I felt very silly about having bashed this game so much before it was even detailed in the media.

I have played the full game, and all I can say is, I am extremely disappointed in myself for not giving this game the benefit of the doubt from the beginning.

This reboot even got the original DMC creator's seal of approval, and mine as well as a HUGE fan of the series. If you're a GAMER, and you want to play a fun game with a fluid combat system and humorous dialogue then you need to pick this game up.

DONT PAY ATTENTION TO THE 0 VOTES, I'D WAGER MOST OF THEM ARE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS AND ILLEGITIMATE, THE GAME IS GOOD!.
  99. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry 4 was my first game in the series that I played, and all I can remember about the game was neo, and an older stronger bloke called Dante. I loved the game. Now all I know about Dante is what I have learnt playing DMC, so all these people who are saying he is not Dante, this is not Dante, I hate you Ninja Theory. I cannot understand what they are talking about. But from my point of view. Very Good Game. And worth a play though by even none Devil May Cry fans.... Expand
  100. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. This game takes the gameplay of Devil May Cry series and steps it up a lot. The game play is very fast and upbeat with a lot of weapons to choose from and combat flows really well but. The story is god awful as new Dante is a Emo old Dante wannabe who does not care for humans and is boring. The new Vergil shoots a gun and kills pregnant women and shoots her in head afterwords and no action cutscenes like old games just stiff story. Collapse

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.