5.0

1. Jan 21, 2013
    I was feeling a little sceptical initially as a result of the controversy surrounding its release. I cancelled my pre-order but I am very glad that I gave into my curiosity and bought it. It was fast paced, and consistently exciting, the surroundings revolved around me and were great to look at. I absolutely love the vibrant colour palate used and I found myself playing for hours on end. II was feeling a little sceptical initially as a result of the controversy surrounding its release. I cancelled my pre-order but I am very glad that I gave into my curiosity and bought it. It was fast paced, and consistently exciting, the surroundings revolved around me and were great to look at. I absolutely love the vibrant colour palate used and I found myself playing for hours on end. I quite like Dante's new look and raw attitude and the combat is so fluent and fun. I found myself striving to pull off perfect combos and experimenting regularly in the training mode. My only criticism with the game is the occasional issue with texture popping during the cinematic scenes, but it was a very minor issue. One of the best and most addictive games I've played in a while. Thank you very much Ninja theory. Keep up the good work. Expand
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the hate. This game is awesome - Ninja Theory have changed a few major bits and pieces, but overall DmC is a better game for it. They've revived and breathed new life into a franchise that had grown stale, and was looking like it was sure to be a relic of the previous generation of consoles. Even with the changes, the game still FEELS like a Devil May Cry game. The characters feel fleshed out, and Dante seems to have a lot more depth in this new story. Giving deeper meaning to his relationship with Vergil is also one of the best parts of the game. And for the people who are complaining about the way Dante looks... He ends up looking more like the character we know by the end of the game. Seeing him take this transition from how he looks at the start, to how he looks at the end, has a great effect on the character. This is an origin story in every sense - Dante becomes more and more powerful, until he becomes something resembling the white haired character we know. His physical transformation (even if it's mainly just his hair) emphasizes the change in the character that takes place throughout the game. This isn't just Ninja Theory pissing off fans. Every decision they have makes sense for the game they have created.

The framework for the story has given Ninja Theory the opportunity to design some awesome levels, that offers some "best in class" scripted moments. DmC keeps things fresh by constantly giving you interesting locales to hack and slash through - from an area that takes place within a reflection (causing everything to appear upside down) to a level that takes place within the motion graphics of a News channel. This is the most innovative DMC has been since the first game came out.

What people have to understand is that Capcom were pretty much done with the old DMC. They had no idea what to do with the franchise as it was. All of the people complaining about this reboot were NEVER going to get a traditional DMC sequel, as Capcom saw no reason to make it. It was either they make a reboot, or they make nothing at all. I'd rather they try and keep the franchise going with a reboot, than forget about it forever. It's just a bonus that the game they created for this reboot happens to be one of the best action adventure games of this generation.
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    Seeing how people are giving this game bad reviews makes me wonder if they actually played the game or they are fanboys that are upset because they "changed Dante." Relax, people! The game is indeed good! The visuals are impressively colorful, the combat is smooth and fast-paced, the voice-acting....well, some of the voice-acting is good to decent, the music fits the atmosphere, theSeeing how people are giving this game bad reviews makes me wonder if they actually played the game or they are fanboys that are upset because they "changed Dante." Relax, people! The game is indeed good! The visuals are impressively colorful, the combat is smooth and fast-paced, the voice-acting....well, some of the voice-acting is good to decent, the music fits the atmosphere, the character designs are good (making you feel like they are in a chaotic world), some of the one-liners in the game are actually good (when said right), the replayability is good (since you can go back with your abilities and find the secrets) and the story is somewhat interesting. But there are only three problems I can see when playing the game. One of them is the targeting system. When fighting a group of enemies, the game will target an enemy you didn't want to attack. It gets kind of annoying when you are trying your best not to die in the game. The second thing is the repetitiveness of levels. Don't get me wrong, the levels are colorful and impressive in every way, but sometimes I feel like the developers were copying some designs on one level and pasting them some others while giving them a different paint job. The final complaint is the voice of Dante. Portrayed by the actor, Tim Phillips, I was expecting for him to do a good job, but listening to him made me sigh with some discomfort. But when he says some one-liners, I chuckle every now and then, but hearing him swear over and over, it made me want to mute the TV. In short of the new voice, I only liked 30% of his dialogue, but wished that they used the person who voiced Dante in the anime series. At least that guy attempted to sound like Dante. In conclusion, the goods outweigh the bad and the game is a nice little change for the Devil May Cry series. But they should at least put Lady and Trish in it. Then it would have been even better. Expand
  4. Jan 16, 2013
    The games story is overall boring and uninteresting, but the characters, the bosses, the level design is very good loving the art style too. The combat while not as deep as the others is very fun and still has a deep level you can take it too. Even the platforming type sections with the whips is fun, to the point were i feel like spiderman. exploration, hidden keys, collectibles thisThe games story is overall boring and uninteresting, but the characters, the bosses, the level design is very good loving the art style too. The combat while not as deep as the others is very fun and still has a deep level you can take it too. Even the platforming type sections with the whips is fun, to the point were i feel like spiderman. exploration, hidden keys, collectibles this feels like a DMC. i really like the passing of the levels they way it changes in real time, the addition of the training mode is good aswell. I dont think its the best DMC but by no means is it the worse. Give it a shot and you may like it Expand
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    As a long time player of the dmc series, This game simply is by far the best Devil May Cry game in the series!

Anyone who gives this game a bad rating either has not played this game or just can't let go of the older dmc series dante...which is wrong in so many ways because they are not even judging this game for what it is. in this generation..change should be welcomed. and besides people are always more vocal about things they dislike than like...which is an obvious factor here because this game is truly great.

I love this game, from the gameplay aspect down to the story, the character portrayal and everything else. I love how the story is more detailed and clear this time around, and I love the real world being a demonic illusion concept by the higher powers of the world.

As for gameplay, it may not be on bayonetta's level of gameplay which i think set the action genre bar very high. But it's controls down to it's combo's and variety and technicalities really excel in this game. easy-normal-nephelim may be easier modes, but beyond those difficulties start to provide some real challenge, this game can be very hard, challenging to master and overall so stylish and great in so many ways.

All i can say is, ignore the negative reviews...they have no idea what they are talking about. Go out and buy the game and understand for yourself what makes this game so fun.
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    So what's in a name? For many it would seem that the name is everything. Devil May Cry has been a must play for those who want a game the blends the enjoyment of the arcade scoring and action adventure titles into a tongue-in-cheek narrative of Dante, a young demon slayer who spouts one-liners like a true over the top action hero. This newest entry seems to garnish the same level ofSo what's in a name? For many it would seem that the name is everything. Devil May Cry has been a must play for those who want a game the blends the enjoyment of the arcade scoring and action adventure titles into a tongue-in-cheek narrative of Dante, a young demon slayer who spouts one-liners like a true over the top action hero. This newest entry seems to garnish the same level of hatred that Devil May Cry 2 earned, but this was before the game even launched. Everyone would agree that Devil May Cry 3 was the apology posed by Capcom and it was an amazing game. So what is so wrong with this reboot? Or better yet, what is it lacking? I for one do not see where the hatred is necessary and while it is a reboot it contains the formula of what Devil May Cry has been about for the past decade. A new fan can embrace this game and an old fan can gladly add this to their gaming library. The two sons of Sparda on opposite sides of the issues? Check. Dante being a disrespectfully hilarious rebel in the face of terrifying demon lords?Check. A female character?Check. The list goes on and on and while this is a reboot, many of the elements of the original franchise remains. The combat feels fluid and responsive while tossing in enemies that allow me to explore the weapons and link them into a crazy combos. The amount of extra difficulties and extras keep me playing to reach a 100% completion rank. Even the Bayonetta-like Limbo gives the world a feeling of darkness and provide a playground for Dante's abilities. Where I did find some problems where some of the expected areas. The boss battles are a Capcom staple of pattern recognition and smart hack-and-slash and platforming. I clocked my first playthrough at around 8 or so hours which is a double-edged sword for myself. The Devil Trigger felt more like a last minute add-on rather than a way to become the true demon shredder that Dante is portrayed as. Also the original control set-up gave me some problems in the beginning, but with practice I was stringing together weapons in no time. If you take DmC and compare it to the other reboots and sequels, like Hitman:Absolution or Resident Evil 6, then this game shines in staying closes to what the previous series made great. Expand
  7. Jan 18, 2013
    User score is just plain insulting and undeserved for this game. 99% probably havent played the game at all or given it a fair chance. This game is solid on all areas, and deserves a fair score.
  8. Jan 21, 2013
    DMC 5 is probably the best game in the entire series... fluid gameplay... excellent graphics and creative level designing...... story is short but pretty good ........ overall this game is AWESOME....
  9. Jan 19, 2013
    The words "Devil May Cry" hold a lot of meaning for me. Devil May Cry was the first game I ever played for the PS2, and I've enjoyed every game in the series since it (except the second entry; what a shocker). I know Dante as if he were my own brother. I've seen him grow up, grow up some more and even take a backseat to another **** little white-haired bastard. I understand every aspect ofThe words "Devil May Cry" hold a lot of meaning for me. Devil May Cry was the first game I ever played for the PS2, and I've enjoyed every game in the series since it (except the second entry; what a shocker). I know Dante as if he were my own brother. I've seen him grow up, grow up some more and even take a backseat to another **** little white-haired bastard. I understand every aspect of Dante as a character.

That's why it surprised me to hear some people complaining about the new Dante in DmC: Devil May Cry. He is the same Dante as before. He's just younger and more immature. Weren't we all that way once (I still am)? Don't get me wrong; I was shocked when I first saw Ninja Theory's new character design for Dante. Now that I've played the game, I get it. I see no problem with it.

I also see no problem with making Devil May Cry a little easier. I grew weary of getting my ass handed to me in the older games, which could be agonizingly frustrating at times, and "agonizingly frustrating" does not equal "fun". If that makes me any less of a gamer as I've seen some users on Metacritic stupidly point out, I apologize. The thing is, it doesn't. It's just yet another dumb observation by a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even be allowed to play video games.

Besides, DmC does stay true to its predecessors in the way that its combat is an absolute blast. I found myself getting all giddy when I nailed an especially impressive looking combo. I kept nailing cool combos throughout the game. It may have been because of my experience with the previous installments, or it may have been because of the lowered difficulty, but either way, it was awesome. The combat system is deep, satisfying and easily one of the best things about DmC.

It has tons going for it. It's very fast-paced and exciting. As the game progresses, Dante gains angel and demon weapons. What this basically means is that one type, the angel weapons, are assigned to the left trigger, and the other type, the demon weapons, to the right. It's a brilliant choice by Ninja Theory that allows players to mix things up by constantly swapping between each weapon type and Dante's firearms.

New enemy types are introduced throughout the game, forcing players to strategize. For example, one enemy type might only take damage from an angel weapon, and vice versa. This can be one of the game's biggest flaws at times due to the lack of a lock-on feature. I found myself aiming but hitting the wrong enemy type a lot of times, which was irritating. Thankfully, the lock-on has been replaced with a dodge button, which is a welcome addition to the series. It can stay right where it is, thank you very much.

Dante can also grapple toward enemies or pull them to him. This adds even more depth to an already broad combat system. He can also use his "grappling hook" to latch onto platforms in the environment. The platforming in DmC is kind of a letdown, but it has its moments. Still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Ninja Theory changed it up a little bit in the inevitable sequel. It sometimes overshadows levels that are otherwise enjoyable.

Speaking of the levels, the environmental design in DmC is amazing. Dante has to make his way through a place known as Limbo, which is a world he gets pulled into for the majority of the story, and it's a world full of wonderfully grotesque and picturesque vistas. Limbo in and of itself is an enemy type. It really does seem as if the environments are trying to kill Dante. It was an ingenious decision on Ninja Theory's part to design the game in this manner. Exploration was my favorite part of DmC (and it often resulted in me getting a bad time rating at the end of the missions).

My least favorite part of DmC is definitely the story. It isn't really all that different from the stories in the other Devil May Crys. A bunch of incoherent crap happens and Dante says dumb stuff. That's about it. It attempts to make fun of society and FOX News, and all of that is funny at times, but it's utterly useless as a meaningful storytelling method. The character named Bob Barbas is essentially an exaggerated version of Bill O'Reilly, which means he runs his mouth a lot about nonsense nobody gives a damn about.

The story is at its best when it's exploring Dante's past and developing him as a character. Dante realizes before the end of the game that he may have a bigger purpose in life than lying around in a mobile home, boozing and sleeping with women. I chuckled at a few of Dante's unbelievably lame lines of dialogue, but a lot of them are just that--unbelievably lame and unfunny. It's one thing to spout off Schwarzenegger-esque lines like "You're fired"; it's quite another to brag about your penis being bigger than someone else's. That just emanates desperation.

DmC: Devil May Cry's strengths far outweigh its flaws. The story sucks, but the gameplay is great and the art style is better.
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    Amazing game,the graphics and the story of this are awesome.Almost everything is interesting about this game,but the gameplay,is just perfect,there so much weapons,combos and fun in this game that I caught myself laughing on how much fun I was getting in the fights and in the story.
    Devil May Cry is famous for been hard,this game is no exception,if you try the hardests modes of course.But a thing that I do miss from the older games of series,is the freedom.This new Devil May Cry is linear as hell and there is almost none puzzles in this game.
    Even if all these issues,this is still an awesome and fun game,every fan of the series should try this amazing game.
  11. Jan 22, 2013
    I gave this game a chance Ive beaten all 4 Devil May Cry games I find nothing wrong this games Just because its not the old Dante doesn't mean its a bad game
  12. Jan 18, 2013
    As a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series. I thought this game would be decent at best but boy was i wrong i really really enjoyed this reboot. Everything is pretty much solid. I have no complaints about the game except for the overpowered axe and easiness of SSS. I have no idea why DmC is getting bashed so much. ITS A REBOOT!!!!!! You can't expect to have the same old Dante. I personallyAs a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series. I thought this game would be decent at best but boy was i wrong i really really enjoyed this reboot. Everything is pretty much solid. I have no complaints about the game except for the overpowered axe and easiness of SSS. I have no idea why DmC is getting bashed so much. ITS A REBOOT!!!!!! You can't expect to have the same old Dante. I personally have enjoyed the new Dante and this new take on DmC. Expand
  13. Jan 20, 2013
    Alright, first of all, ignore all of the angry fanboys who are pissed about the change in creative direction for the series. You know, the ones who are creating multiple accounts just to grade this game down. Is the game perfect? No. Is it a 0 or a 2? No.

Pros: Gorgeous graphics. Inventive level design. Interesting story for what it is. Accessible and fun controls. Cons: The

Cons: The new Dante. The general lack of characterization.

It's worth a play, and I commend Ninja Theory for trying something different, even if I'm not a fan of it entirely.
  14. Jan 17, 2013
    Fantastic game. The gameplay is fun, fast and variable. The game looks great, as does the character design, and the music is rocking. I haven't played the previous DMCs, but I really like the characters in this reboot, especially Dante. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't take itself too seriously. I would urge fans of the previous series to give this game a chance, and not reject it justFantastic game. The gameplay is fun, fast and variable. The game looks great, as does the character design, and the music is rocking. I haven't played the previous DMCs, but I really like the characters in this reboot, especially Dante. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't take itself too seriously. I would urge fans of the previous series to give this game a chance, and not reject it just because "It's different, Dante's different." Expand
  15. Jan 19, 2013
    Dante ist tot, es lebe Dante. Zugegeben, es war ein gewagter Schritt von Ninja Theory das Devil May Cry Franchise zu rebooten, doch das ganze hat sich gelohnt
  16. Jan 16, 2013
    I am enjoying this game like crazy! I played the original but that was it! I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The gaming community is the most self entitled group of people I have ever known. They make the whole group look really bad when they cry over this stuff. And how they all came in here without playing the game and rated this a one is a clear indicator of how much theyI am enjoying this game like crazy! I played the original but that was it! I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The gaming community is the most self entitled group of people I have ever known. They make the whole group look really bad when they cry over this stuff. And how they all came in here without playing the game and rated this a one is a clear indicator of how much they should NOT be taken seriously. You guys MAKE ME ASHAMED TO IDENTIFY MYSELF AS A GAMER. Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm so completely and utterly baffled by some of the negative reviews of metacritic, and it really saddens me to see such a well-designed game suffer from the immaturity of a spurned fan-base who believe they are the all-knowing force that should dictate what Capcom does with it's already established gaming franchise. Capcom gave the "Devil May Cry" name to a very well suited designer in Ninja Theory. They have shown an incredible ability to display subtle character emotions through their other games, and with this newest project they've attempted to blend this talent with truly superb hack-n-slash gameplay. The result is DMC, a game that despite a few quirks, does contain plenty of material worthy of merit and recognition. The story of DMC isn't perfect, and it isn't necessarily a nail-biter, but it is at the very least entertaining, and takes several liberties to present the familiar Devil May Cry lore in a fascinating new light. Despite what several reviews have stated, I've found that Ninja Theory has done well to establish an interesting cast. The new Dante is presented as a confused young man who knows little of his past, and after meeting his brother Vergil, he sets out to confront the "demons" (ha, demon pun) of his past. Dante has all the attitude and raw style you would expect of him, but he's also presented as a dimensional character who also cares for humanity, and throughout the game, he grows an interest in his female human companion, Kat. This Dante can be cruel and unlikeable at times, but as a whole is presented very well. The mo-cap also does an excellent job of presenting the subtle emotions and expressions on his face, which I found drew me more into the story. Supporting characters such as Vergil, the twin brother who as it turns out has slightly more sinister and ambitious goals than first believed, and Kat, the human-psychic companion who proves her worth by saving the Nephilim twins time and again, bring something to the table, but as a whole the story is more focused on Dante realizing who he is, and setting out to avenge his family. The primary antagonist Mundis is a serviceable, if slightly stereotypical, baddie, but he doesn't necessarily do anything out of the box that will make you say "wow". As far as the actual writing goes, it is far stronger in some areas than others, but as a whole comes off as entertaining, without really making you think too much. A lot of people seem to have issues with certain aspects of the story such as the "my dick's bigger" line Vergil drops towards the end and the now infamous "assault-rifle abortion" seem to take things too far out of context. The Vergil line was part of a series of brotherly insults traded between Dante and Vergil, because, you know, they are TWIN BROTHERS. I'm sure out there in the world right now are twin brothers who've had the exact same wording come out of their mouths. As for the "abortion", I fail to see what could possibly be offensive about a man shooting and killing the unborn son of a demon king while it still resides in the womb of a demon woman. That, to me, is a perfectly justifiable act. As for the gameplay, I find it to be simplistic,but incredibly enjoyable. Combos start out basic and quickly become more complex as you add more and more of the games weapons into long, unending chains of death and brutality. You have familiar weapons like sword Renegade and dual pistols Ebony and Ivory, which serve as the base weapons of the game. Meanwhile, holding the left or right trigger transforms weapons into angel or demon based weapons respectively. Angel weapons have a slight flair factor to them and typically are fast, low damage dealing weapons that are excellent to string to the end of combos because the speed quickly allows you to add more attacks to the end of a chain. On the flipside, demon based weapons are the heavies of the game, dealing more damage in slow, brutal blows that serve excellent to demolish enemies with protection in the form of shields. Once you gain all of your abilities it becomes extremely satisfying to chain and switch between every single weapon in the game in non-stop combos of death. As for the enemy variety, well, it could be better. Soon in the game enemies that can only be harmed by certain weapon types quickly limits that same arsenal that made the game so fun in the first place. To sum it all up, the new DMC is a vastly entertaining game worth trying out, and is far better than other user reviews on metacritic will have you believe. If you want to try out some excellent hack-n-slash, this is what you want. If you were a fan of the DMC series before this game, rent it, play through, and see what Ninja Theory have brought to the table. Hopefully, more people stop being bias and this game sells well, because I for one, and hoping for a sequel. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    as bad as people claim this is they are blinded by nostolgia when it comes to the story, NONE of them had good stories, they were all cliched, the first one they crammed so many cliched plots into one... "you remind me of my mother, i love you now because we are both different and lone wolves. lets fly away into the sunset" as for the killing babies....the main character doesn't kill aas bad as people claim this is they are blinded by nostolgia when it comes to the story, NONE of them had good stories, they were all cliched, the first one they crammed so many cliched plots into one... "you remind me of my mother, i love you now because we are both different and lone wolves. lets fly away into the sunset" as for the killing babies....the main character doesn't kill a HUMAN baby it was the son of the devil and a demon... if people are doing to nitpick at least be correct Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    this game is awesome. I have played all of the DMC games, and over the years, this franchise grew stale and i completely lost interest in DMC. after DMC4. Dante felt old, tired and i preferred Nero over Dante because his demon arm felt so much fun to use and pull off combos with. Dante of DMC4 was not cool and i dreaded switching back control to Dante.
    This reboot is what the franchise
    This reboot is what the franchise needed. It grabbed my interest and made me more of a fan than the last 4 games ever did. The acting and mocap is superb, graphics and design is awesome. the old dante is dead. Ninja theory did a great job. Way to show Capcom how devil may cry should be done.
  20. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME.
    I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off !
    This is a great game!
    This is fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys !
    Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too !
    Ninja Theory congrats!
  21. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a fantastic game in which I was so pleasantly surprised. Yes, this is different than the other Devil May Cry games and for one, I am glad it is. It definitely doesn't ignore the past as many of the overall themes are kept intact. The thing to remember is this is a RE-BOOT, not a remake. The series is being taken in a slightly different, more edgy direction than the first and I loveThis is a fantastic game in which I was so pleasantly surprised. Yes, this is different than the other Devil May Cry games and for one, I am glad it is. It definitely doesn't ignore the past as many of the overall themes are kept intact. The thing to remember is this is a RE-BOOT, not a remake. The series is being taken in a slightly different, more edgy direction than the first and I love it! Dante is crude, he is a bad ass and exactly what Dante should be. He's a freaking demon and angel mixed, he's no saint. I love the art style and direction of the story telling and also LOVE the characters. This is a great action title that is well worth your money. If you are a DMC fan go into with an open mind that this is again, a RE-BOOT not a remake and enjoy the game for what Ninja Theory has planned, because this is going to be a great new take on an old series that was dying for some life. Expand
  22. Jan 18, 2013
    Let me start of with this: It's amazing, the story is the best in any DMC game so far, and it plays so smoothly, even at 30 FPS.
    The gameplay is by far the most fun I've had in any DMC game, it's responsive, the combos a sweet, and the fact that they removed styles shouldn't erk you, the knew hold down the trigger button system works way better, and adds even cooler chain attacks, Limbo is such a unique and artistic setting that it's impossible not to love, even when it's trying to kill you.
    The fact that the environment moves around and tries to kill Dante added a nice level of surprise to every mission, even if by the last three levels started to get predictable.
    The new design fits, it doesn't matter if you don't like it, it fits, and what made this Dante really cool is that he had more of a personality than old Dante.
    The new character Kat is by far my favorite DMC female character so far, I wont say why though, too much spoilers.
    However it's a little short, clocking my play time to a little over ten hours a nephilem mode, and it's a little too easy, but those a minor things.
    Dantes latest adventure is a major improvement all around, and I also would like to mention, don't trust the user score, it's just a bunch of old fans angry because the didn't get a normal DmC experience, they however, got something better.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    Regardless of the fanatics, who can only be satisfied when developers regurgitate the same game repeatedly for decades, DmC stands as an accomplishment by every unit of measure. The fact that Capcom even attempted to innovate on this title is remarkable and is to be commended. DmC expands a space previously reserved exclusively for the most extreme of the hardcore. The Devil May Cry seriesRegardless of the fanatics, who can only be satisfied when developers regurgitate the same game repeatedly for decades, DmC stands as an accomplishment by every unit of measure. The fact that Capcom even attempted to innovate on this title is remarkable and is to be commended. DmC expands a space previously reserved exclusively for the most extreme of the hardcore. The Devil May Cry series originated in a different era and for as good as that game was during its generation, the market and the audience is vastly different today then it was back then. Unlike DmC's predecessors, this game is simple to play, yet difficult to master.

It's narrative is compelling, interesting, and witty. The action is engaging without being cumbersome, and most importantly it's fun as HELL. If you like action games, particularly Bayonetta or earlier Ninja Theory games, this title is a must own. Do yourself a favor and dismiss the crybabies or you might just miss out on a legitimate 2013 game of the year contender.
  24. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    Being a long time fan of the Devil May Cry series, I was so excited when I found out this game was coming out. I finished the game yesterday & I have to say that is game is amazing. It was so much fun to play, the story was awesome & it's the same Dante just a younger more rebellious version. A lot of people hung up on idiotic technicalities like, his hair being different are cheatingBeing a long time fan of the Devil May Cry series, I was so excited when I found out this game was coming out. I finished the game yesterday & I have to say that is game is amazing. It was so much fun to play, the story was awesome & it's the same Dante just a younger more rebellious version. A lot of people hung up on idiotic technicalities like, his hair being different are cheating themselves out of a good game. I like where the story went, the ending was good, it was a nice way to show how Dante came to be the awesome loveable Demon killer so many have grown to love. Some people claim that they had issues with the speed of the game but I personally encountered no glitches or anything wrong with it. It's worth playing & if you're a true DMC fan then it's definitely worth buying. Ninja Theory took a risk & they succeeded in making an all around hardcore game. I'm impressed to say the least. Expand
  26. Jan 20, 2013
    I can't believe how immature and unjust most of the reviewers in the user section are. This is a decent game at the least. The combat is great and the story wasn't that bad. Don't listen to the 0's and 1's on this score. They are just idiotic scumbags. No game every deserves a 0 no matter how bad it really is.
  27. Jan 20, 2013
    A new look for a long running franchise, the DMC: reboot certainly raises eyebrows with some questionable changes. A simplified combat system, altered character appearances, new story and 30 frames per sec cap has brought a lot of negativity towards Ninja Theory's take on this Capcom property. But despite the fan boy rages and the flood of negative comments coming forth, lets be clear.A new look for a long running franchise, the DMC: reboot certainly raises eyebrows with some questionable changes. A simplified combat system, altered character appearances, new story and 30 frames per sec cap has brought a lot of negativity towards Ninja Theory's take on this Capcom property. But despite the fan boy rages and the flood of negative comments coming forth, lets be clear. DMC: Devil May Cry is not only a good game, but a great game. Story wise, the new origin story for Dante certainly aims to explain more about the character and his world then the previous games had done. Presenting Dante and his supporting cast as far more well rounded and believable characters. Dante still has his fun loving attitude, and stupid one liners, but now they are far more spread out with a series of other emotions, and this adds depth to the character a s whole. Visually, DMC looks great..when everything is loaded. The unreal engine presents from beautiful environment, and some crazy effects (mostly seen in limbo), but the occasional pop in can really break the flow or made texture look muddy and poor. Its not a deal breaker, and not something that occurs during gameplay, but its certainly visible during cut scenes. Combat is far more simple and inviting, allowing players to get into the grove and flow of the game before presenting them with more weapons and abilities. This progression feels slow, and early on the combat system feels far too simplistic but after a few hours the game opens up with multiple weapons and abilities. DMC: Devil may Cry isn't perfect, but its a great first step for Ninja Theory. One only hopes they look at Devil May Cry when crafting their sequel. Cause this game needs a Sequel, the world crafted here is easily the most engaging of the series. This DMC positions itself as my favorite DMC, as an entire package. The story and world presenting enough support to forgive the weak start, and pop in textures.

This game is worth your time, Rent it, and give it the chance to impress. Note: The Dante "Wig" joke is hilarious to all but the people who are way to worked up over this reboot. Seriously, this is a new alternate time line Dante, deal with it already.
  28. Jan 19, 2013
    Don't listen to the hate. This game is actually quite good. Stunning graphics, amazing music, a story that is interesting, fantastic acting, and the Dante we all know and love. This IS Devil May Cry. The controls are tight and responsive, the battles are furious and fun, and yes, there is a humorous homage to Dante's white hair early in the game. At least rent this beast and give it aDon't listen to the hate. This game is actually quite good. Stunning graphics, amazing music, a story that is interesting, fantastic acting, and the Dante we all know and love. This IS Devil May Cry. The controls are tight and responsive, the battles are furious and fun, and yes, there is a humorous homage to Dante's white hair early in the game. At least rent this beast and give it a shot. I think if the "haters" would just shut up and play it they would be pleasantly surprised. Ninja Theory has grown so much as a developer wherein each game is better than the last. They should be proud of DMC and I hope Capcom and players allow them a sequel cause all I wanna do is keep playing. Thanks Ninja Theory. Expand
  29. Oct 25, 2013
    It actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get overIt actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get over it. Ninja theory deserved so much more from the people for making dmc matter again. Ignore all the hate, and if you haven't already, play it. You wont regret it. Expand
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    Fans of Devil May Cry franchise can abandon their fears as Ninja Theory’s treatment to the Devil May Cry franchise takes Dante into a newer, better world, complete with a fantastic combat system, stunning visuals and an amazing story of brothers Dante and Vergil’s fight against a demon king. This is Devil May Cry at its finest, covered in the blood of demons and angels alike.
  31. Nov 3, 2013
    There has been a lot of controversy about DmC. The design of Dante was especially criticized. In all honesty however, being this my first Devil May Cry, I gotta say that is actually a really good game, and doesn't deserve the low rating half the users are giving it.
    First, the visuals. They look really good, and are pretty smooth. Some were complaining about it being in 30 fps instead of 60, but it doesn't feel clunky at all. I've got to say that, personally, I prefer the original DMC's designs, but there is actually an explanation revealed during the story. While the character's design aren't as good as the original, the environment is gorgeous and polished. The soundtrack is not really memorable. Too many heavy metal songs. The voices aren't memorable either, but do their job.
    The story feels like an afterthought, but I guess those who wanted to know Dante's backstory (at least, what WAS Dante's back-story until this game became part from an alternate universe), it will entertain you. I've got to say that I didn't laugh that much to this new Dante. Everyone I know says that Dante cracks a lot of jokes and trash-talks his enemies almost constantly. The only problem is that, these aren't that funny. He says a lot of and it's just not entertaining.
    The gameplay is what makes this game truly worthy. The combos are quick, fun and really entertaining to watch. The multiple attacks with different attacks give you a huge amount of variety in combos. There are some moments of basic platforming, but the gameplay is entirely based on combat. And I'm not complaining at all with that. The bosses maintain the fun factor of the game, through some can get a little repetitive. Overall, I'm excited to try on other Devil May Cry titles, and a little sad to see this title being left behind by a bad design choice. Luckily, it will be vindicated over the time.
  32. Oct 12, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. AndDmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. And I really hope we get a sequel to it soon. Expand
  33. Nov 17, 2013
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Having played all the other DMC games I was at first not attracted to this game because, like everyone else I didnt like the character style. However once I played the demo I was over it as I knew the gameplay was solid. Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and shows off some amazing visuals. The stages are not only the best i've seen in the series, they might be some of the coolest and best i've seen in a action game ever. Whats even more impressive is how great this game looks and its running on such an outdated game engine unreal 3 ).

Audio: The audio is kick ass. However this time is licensed music. Its all perfectly chosen and fit the game perfect. Its a blend of metal, rock and techno depending on the stage. Since its not just game music its actually stuff that you'd probably wanna just listening to for hearing pleasure too.

Gameplay: The game plays is awesome. Dante feels more like nero from part 4 in this one with his angelic and demonic grabs working just like neros arm grab. Imho this is fantastic as nero is my favorite DMC play style in the whole series. The game does suffer from some flaws however. Its vastly too easy. You're gonna just instantly wanna start on the hardest difficulty thats available from the start. Another thing it it seems impossible to cancel out of a move mid action.

Story: DMC has always had terrible stories. This one at least tries and it does much better than any previous entry. However its still nothing to write home about.

Over all this is the best DMC period. I really think people are missing out because they dont like Dantes new look and more "edgy" personality. Even though I honestly think his more edgy personality is more realistic than his over the stop shannagins of previous games.

If you're a fan of the genre its a must have! Go pick it up now.
  34. Sep 17, 2013
    Seeing the bad score i had to write a little bit on my own.

I played some of the older DmC games, but none realy that extensively. I like dante´s new look of, the action is great, the music is awesome like the best game soundtrack i can think of right now) the jokes are actually kind of funny, the story is not toooo bad. Compared to other games of the prox genre playing Asura´s
    Seeing the bad score i had to write a little bit on my own.

I played some of the older DmC games, but none realy that extensively.
    I like dante´s new look of, the action is great, the music is awesome like the best game soundtrack i can think of right now) the jokes are actually kind of funny, the story is not toooo bad. Compared to other games of the prox genre playing Asura´s Wrath now, or what was that Resident-Evil-kinda Ninja game called?? I LOOVE the lack of QuickTimeEvents All in all a very enjoyable game and there is no way it deserves a 4.9 rating
  35. ECU
    Jul 17, 2014
    DmC does nearly everything right. Fast action, cool characters, dynamic levels they are all great and well tought. But there are some minor issues too. There are few too many platforming levels and they are not working well. This is an action game so controls and camera are designed for slashing, not for jumping around trying to land on the perfect spot. But the point where the game trulyDmC does nearly everything right. Fast action, cool characters, dynamic levels they are all great and well tought. But there are some minor issues too. There are few too many platforming levels and they are not working well. This is an action game so controls and camera are designed for slashing, not for jumping around trying to land on the perfect spot. But the point where the game truly shines is level design. All levels follow the same design elements though they are never dull or repetitive. Fighting your way through a dynamicly changeing level is too fun to miss out. Expand
  36. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time.
  37. Nov 19, 2013
    It is fun that people dosent know that this game is a REBOOOOOOOT and not a continue of the other games. Please dont care about the 0 givers they dont know what they are talking about. Combat is amazing BUT they made Dane a douche
  38. Apr 12, 2013
    This game is amazing! To all the little internet complainers who have no idea what they are talking about and probably didn't even play the game and just want to constantly you are IDIOTS....It makes no sense to hate this game because they changed the character around a bit, I am a huge fan of Devil May Cry and this game is a step in the right direction, the levels are diverse andThis game is amazing! To all the little internet complainers who have no idea what they are talking about and probably didn't even play the game and just want to constantly you are IDIOTS....It makes no sense to hate this game because they changed the character around a bit, I am a huge fan of Devil May Cry and this game is a step in the right direction, the levels are diverse and engaging, the combat feels fresh and satisfying, story is decent, love the banter with the Succubus and Bob Barbas, and the boss fights feel fresh and exciting, Arkham City used to be my favorite action adventure game but DmC is now the front runner, TO ALL THE WHINERS-STOP CRYING AND SHUT UP Expand
  39. Apr 19, 2013
    I'm not usually a fan of this type of game, see i have not played any of the previous dmc's, but from someone new to dmc, i can say that this is a solid game. After the first play through on med. hard wasn't that much harder. Son of sparda and up is where the challenge begin.
    Story was eh, typical bad guy try to take over the world you stop him, the way of doing it was really out there tho, got to give them that. Gameplay was awesome. moves are fluid easy to link. after this i can see me going to pick up dmc hd collection and trying it out.
  40. May 15, 2013
    Just ignore all fanboys and play the game!!! Everyone here on metacritic is just complaining at how bad it was, but it's actually really fun!! I admit, story is bad, but it makes sense, and the story was never a good part of the Devil May Cry universe anyway!

As for gameplay, it's got the same feel from the past games, even in 30fps, and the camera is never an issue. But this reboot does not have a lock-on control, making it seem that the guns Ebony and Ivory have minds of their own. Dodging is now easier compared to the past games!!!
    And I'm really pleased at how the weapon system was done, you still have Dante's Signature sword "The Rebellion" which works as the balanced weapon, and now you also have Angel and Devil weapons each with their own style, blue angel weapons deal quick light damage and cover more distance, and Demon weapons are the strong power house weapons. And you can easily and quickly use these weapons at your disposal by holding down either the left or right trigger.

But if you truly want to enjoy this game, you have to play it once, and then play it again ON SON OF SPARDA MODE!! The enemy A.I. is really easy, I was able to beat the game easily on the Nephilim difficulty, (And this is coming from a guy who never played the past DmC games till after this one, or even Beyonetta) the enemy A.I. are pretty slow and have many attack warnings, and I even found a goof that some of the enemy's won't attack you unless they're visible on camera. So I suggest playing this on Son of Sparda mode or Dante Must Die Mode! But overall great game, just treat all the other angry fanboys like the Demons in the game, ignore what they say and beat the crap out of them!
  41. Apr 27, 2013
    I will admit, I never played any of the original DMC games but there's something people seem to forget. This is a REBOOT! The team that worked on this wanted to make the game in their own vision and wanted to use this game as a way for new people (like me) to get into the series, and I believe they succeeded.

I NEVER cared about DMC until I played this game, the gameplay was really fun

I NEVER cared about DMC until I played this game, the gameplay was really fun and fast paced, the story was just okay but I was told that DMC was not mostly known for it's story anyway and I thought the boss battles were excellent. I played and replayed this game multiple times. It's not the greatest game I ever played but it definitely got me interested in the series so that's a win.
  42. Aug 14, 2013
    So dmc is finally here and is awesome the combat is refreshing the graphics are some of the best i have seen the only problem is the new dante he is annoying and will offend anyone who liked the old dante like me but that dose not mean the game deserves 2 out of ten come on guys that's just silly. Overall dmc is a solid hack and slash that's why i give dmc a eight out of ten
  43. Jun 25, 2013
    The motion capture was pretty awesome than the other DmC games. I just like the combat weapon (Angels & Demon) where there is pulling enemies, shooting time and alternate impact games. The new Dante design it's so cheap. The only think i like in the game was a enjoyable gameplay. than the character's design that was so cheap.
  44. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  45. Jul 30, 2013
    When i first started playing DMC it was a while back when 4 came out. I played and got hooked. I bought the H-D collection which had 1,2, and 3 and they were fun. Then I heard of this DMC and I was excited. Then i bought it and I only have 1 major gripe with the game. No lock on. WHY NOT? but it is cool looking and the graphics were cool and i know I will get a lot of s!@# for this but iWhen i first started playing DMC it was a while back when 4 came out. I played and got hooked. I bought the H-D collection which had 1,2, and 3 and they were fun. Then I heard of this DMC and I was excited. Then i bought it and I only have 1 major gripe with the game. No lock on. WHY NOT? but it is cool looking and the graphics were cool and i know I will get a lot of s!@# for this but i like the new Dante more than the old one. Expand
  46. Aug 18, 2013
    Wow, how pathetic are people to flood metacritic with 1's simply because they're upset over Dante not having white hair..... People need to grow up, and metacritic needs to filter the BS user scores for this game because having an 86 for critic rating, and a 4.8 for user ratings makes it painfully obvious that the reviews are not rating the game, they are trolling it.
  47. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a great game and perhaps the best hack-and-slash game I have played. The story is well written, the characters are believable(Dante even more so than in previous DmC games) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throw in some fun, easily controllable fast-paced combat and fantastic boss battles along with 9 different difficulty levels to play through, and you have yourself a completeThis is a great game and perhaps the best hack-and-slash game I have played. The story is well written, the characters are believable(Dante even more so than in previous DmC games) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throw in some fun, easily controllable fast-paced combat and fantastic boss battles along with 9 different difficulty levels to play through, and you have yourself a complete package. This game is well worth it and I highly recommend that you pick it up. Expand
  48. Oct 10, 2013
    I hate these fan boys of the past Dante and say how the story of this game is bad. The story for me is like one of the best stories of devil may cry it makes sense and is compelling, it feels more realistic for a story line, but don't get me wrong the old DMC's are great but I prefer this story line. Everyone seems to talk about the downs of this game what? where's the ups like how theI hate these fan boys of the past Dante and say how the story of this game is bad. The story for me is like one of the best stories of devil may cry it makes sense and is compelling, it feels more realistic for a story line, but don't get me wrong the old DMC's are great but I prefer this story line. Everyone seems to talk about the downs of this game what? where's the ups like how the combat is much more fluent and combos feel great to get and how swapping between weapons is so easy. The writing for this story was serious but at some points hilarious, the new Dante may be a "emo-tized" but you grow to like him towards the end as he comes from that don't care attitude to a more I do care attitude and me with the shooting the baby thing its a game its trying show that Virgil is corrupted with evil necessities and also his lust for power, overall the game is great I enjoyed intensely and was not bored through one bit of the game. Expand
  49. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,aThis game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,a patch of his hair turns white after he accquires demon form thats the explenation to why he has white hair in the others and its a decent one.. Do not listen to the idiots complaining about this game.. I never tought id say this but i agree with the reviewers way more compared to the public.. Expand
  50. Jan 9, 2014
    I want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game iI want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game i have played does not mean i don't know what is going on. In this game you are Dante who you just suspect first as a lady's man who enjoys partying but after he is attacked by a demon in the first level he gets drawn into a secret war where demons walk among the human populace. Within the first level you meet Kat who becomes very instrumental in helping Dante on his journey. Then after Kay helps get him out of limbo she takes her to meet another character named Vergil who is the leader of this group that may seem like a terrorist group but you will find out that they are actually fighting the demons that walk among the humans. When Dante meets Vergil, Vergil tries to convince Dante to join but at first Dante refuses but when convinced Dante goes into limbo where he discovers his origins which i won't spoil for you because it is very interesting. Anyways after that Dante agrees to assist Vergil's cause which is too help humanity in a certain way against the demons. Now i want to talk about some of the games positives, first the Unreal Engine makes this games visuals extremely fun to look, in this game you will be spending most of your time in limbo, and thats where visuals come into play, the level of detail in this game i believe can compete with some of the other hack n slashers out there such as Dante's Inferno, and the God of War series. You will see constantly the environment breaking apart and reshaping itself. The boss battles are another big positive to this game because not only are they really cool characters but again they use the visuals really well so when the bosses use their attacks they are just a wonder to look at, there really is no way to fully describe them. Another really strong positive to this game is the voice acting and facial animations, all the characters are believable they sound like they actually put hard work into their characters, and the facial animations are just spot on, no lip syncing problems, i would go as far to say that these facial animations are on par with LA Noire, YES they are that good. I may have said this before the story is really well written, its worth a ride and it is simply a fun roller coaster ride, there is one major plot twist at the end which brings me to my next point, this games ending is both action packed and emotional with a sense of morality. Now i will say without spoiling it the final boss battle will not end with who you think. It is so rare to find now a days a good game ending that is so satisfying it sticks with you in your mind, which this ending will do to you, because all of the characters are really memorable. One of the final positives for this game is the weapon selection and combat system throughout the game you will be introduced to at least 7 or 8 weapons, and each of them have their own visual flare, plus the best thing with this weapon and combat system is that yes the game gives you some standard combos but if you want to put some imagination into it you can switch weapons mid combo to create some really insane looking combos. This combat system is not repetitive in any major way, because the enemies in the game provide a challenge in a way that they don't just use one attack over and over again just like you they will mix and match their attacks. Now i have found no major glitches, no drop of the facial animations, and thankfully no drop in the frame rate. Now it may seem like this game in my mind is perfect with no significant flaws but there is just one flaw in the story, and it deals with the context of a certain scene in the opening cut scene. What it is, is that in the beginning Dante is in a strip club, and he is with two of the girls there, he has fun with them then takes them back to his trailer and the scene that results is that the two girls are in the trailer with Dante and he has more fun with them, and you will see the trailer bouncing up and down implying that Dante and the two girls are having strong sex. Well i didn't have a problem with he club scene because Dante was just there watching and charming the girls, and i also didn't have a problem with him taking them home but after that i think they should have cut it off there then resume when Dante wakes up the next morning. I just believe the scene i described when Dante takes them into the trailer did not have much context to be in there. So to me that was just a small disconnect from the story. I would like to say i am not against sex in video i just prefer it when it has context. In conclusion i would highly recommend this game to anyone, and my final score is really 9.75 Expand
  51. Dec 9, 2013
    personally I loved this game, I suspect the majority of negative reviews have come from devil may cry fanboys who are unable to move on from past games. If you like fast paced action games and aren't stuck in the past and are able to accept change give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
  52. Jan 19, 2014
    Quick lesson on me. 1: I've played all 4 of the previous Devil May Cry games. 2: I've beaten and liked 1-3 (finished 1 at least 10 times)

When playing this game with the other games in mind you must remember one important thing: you play Devil May Cry games for the action, not the story. And personally, I believe DmC is amazing when it comes to the action. The story and characters arent absolutely terrible like many believe. The art style for the game is actually pretty interesting and I like it a bit.

Like I said earlier, you play for the action in this series. Really, I believe the action is the best in this game out of all 5 of the games in the series. When you fight a large amount of enemies it is fun and exhilarating. The tracks that play during the fights add to feel of kicking ass in my opinion. When you get a new weapon you feel awesome and want to just destroy everything. I like the way to combat system works and I believe it is done well here. There are only a few exceptions where I feel the game is a bit unfair (Im looking at you Tyrants and the final boss!) but besides that it doesnt feel like you are out-matched when fighting. It feels nice when you hit a bunch of enemies and watch your combo meter skyrocket.

For a hack-n-slash fighting game it does it's job well and pretty amazingly I would have to say. It's my favorite Devil May Cry game in the series when it comes to the action (you know, that thing Dmc games are known for). When I first played this game, it reeled me in with it's high octane fighting and soundtrack. I ended up not putting down the game until I finished it. It's a great game for people who like simple hack-n-slash with a little secret collecting.
  53. Mar 13, 2014
    Ignore all the flack that this reboot gets. It's fun, and really, that's all that should matter with a video game. Only problem I had with it is that it's far too easy. Literally the ONLY gripe I have with it.
  54. Jun 9, 2014
    Yes it takes a bit of a darker tone with Dante, but come on. The visuals are amazing, the voice acting is alright, the combat was awesome, and who could forget Combichrist! I can literally sum up what I loved most about the game with one word. Combichrist!
  55. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judgingThis is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judging this game entirely on subjective terms. Expand
  56. Aug 16, 2014
    In my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and IIn my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and I did not get tired. Expand
  57. Dec 21, 2014
    A really solid HnS game. Nice visuals, and an intriguing storyline.

If you're looking for a game you can spend some time just blowing off stress with, here you go
  58. Feb 12, 2015
    Simply one of the best Hack-n-Slash games ever made. If you don't like this game, you either A, don't enjoy the genre, or B, you're an old DmC fanboy that has a problem with the series getting a much needed overhaul. Everything about this game is awesome. The art is insanely cool. The music matches the style and pace perfectly. The combat is smart, fun, and challenging (as long as you'reSimply one of the best Hack-n-Slash games ever made. If you don't like this game, you either A, don't enjoy the genre, or B, you're an old DmC fanboy that has a problem with the series getting a much needed overhaul. Everything about this game is awesome. The art is insanely cool. The music matches the style and pace perfectly. The combat is smart, fun, and challenging (as long as you're playing on the harder settings) and the new Dante is way cooler. The only part I didn't like was the "F*** You" line. But other than that I loved the new characters. If you like Bayonetta and old DmC games but aren't a stupid fanboy, you must play this game. I literally have play almost every game in the genre and I can honestly say that this game is near perfect. Ninja Theory hit this one out of the park. I only hope the dumb old DmC fanboys don't ruin the chances of a sequel for us real gamers. Expand
  59. Jun 26, 2015
    I went in to this game with fairly high expectations, and i went out satisfied with the game. With some complaints of the weak story, weak characters and such other. But hey, this is DMC we are talking about, since when has strong characters and story been a selling point for the series? The main selling point of this series has always been the fast paced combat and the ability to play theI went in to this game with fairly high expectations, and i went out satisfied with the game. With some complaints of the weak story, weak characters and such other. But hey, this is DMC we are talking about, since when has strong characters and story been a selling point for the series? The main selling point of this series has always been the fast paced combat and the ability to play the game after your own style. Although they did remove the style system from earlier games, the combat is still very fluid and fun to play. They have added in a fluent weapon switching system (thank god) as i felt the previous system was clunky and hard to switch in combat. I also feel like Ninja Theory did a good move with moving all the combat to Limbo, which allowed some of the best level design i have ever seen in a Hack N Slash game. Dante also moves more realistically in combat compared to the earlier games. Although a lot of people complained that the game is too easy, they probably only played it on Nephilim (Hard) and did not take the time to play/unlock the higher difficulties, because that is where the challenge lies. You can complain about how they changed Dante, Since i played the earlier DMC games, i got very confused when Dante screams "NO" when he is thrown out the window. But then again, we play this game for the combat, and they managed to nail that in a good way. Then there is the whole DLC known as Vergils Downfall. I didnt care for the story much, i found the combat system very fun to use. The only major complaints i have about it is that the level design is weaker than the main game, the campaign is a bit too short, only 6 missions, and you cant play Vergil in the Bloody Palace. I would have also loved some weapon variety from Vergil other than just his katana, Yamato. Other than these flaws i found the game very enjoyable, and i am still playing it to this very day Expand

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.