5.0

1. Jan 15, 2013
    What i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down to medium setting for the time being. I'll give anyone who completes this game on the hardest setting a cookie because you deserve it if you do lol. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Coming from a long time DMC fan this game is great. Sure i had my doubts like many others after hearing ninja theory was rebooting the series. And boy was i wrong this game turned out to be awesome. Combat is great (on par with dmc 3 but different style, still jc is in) and the story is a good start to this new franchise. Can't wait to see what they have in store for DmC 2!!!
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    A surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.The harder difficulties are much appreciated though as the first run-through was waaay too easy on the toughest available difficulty.The controls,though initially tricky,only require a modicrum of practise which I actually didn't mind too much.I had a great deal of fun anyway.The Icing on the cake is the fact that a ton of haters complained,bought it and then complained again.That's almost too too funny .Almost... Expand
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed
    and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    I think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I would like to say that it is gamers like you guys who is killing the video game industry !! If you dont like the game because its a REBOOT (which means its a new take on the series ) then dont hate on it ! Ninja theory made an execellent game and should not be hated because some whiny little gamers want the old dante back. If game stayed the same we would never get innovative games like dishonored ordark souls. This series needed a REBOOT and i hope that this series will continue and that ninja theory and the public will ignore the dumb biased and objective reviews . Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    everyone needs to relax and come to one simple question when playing this game: Is it fun? The short answer is, unequivocally, YES. Long answer?
    The game is NOT perfect, do not be the first person to pretend it is. At the same time, its a well done game by a good studio, and while it may not go over the heights of the previous franchise, its still a damn good game. Hell, even the creator
    of Devil May Cry has gone to bat for the developer to say this is a good game and is treated with respect. If anyone is allowed to have an opinion, its him.
    Overall, the gameplay is a ton of fun, and while styles could've been nice to implement here, who knows, maybe in a future installment we can see this.
    The point of this review is that the haters you see in the comment section below have NOT played the game or if they did, they only did so to complain here. They are not the real fans since they are so butthurt over the new look of Dante. And while I miss the old Dante, this is a RE-IMAGINING, not a sequel/prequel. Give the game an honest go, and you will see that the gameplay as well as the story are both fun and memorable. Don't listen to the idiots on this site and try to judge a game for yourself before you knock this one off of your list. My biggest complaint, however is the lock on [which isnt perfect] as well as how over the top the story segments can be.
    However, everyone in the reviewing-game biz can see this is a well-done game [hell Famitsu gave it a 34 out of 40, and we know how hard it is to please them].

so, be a open minded individual, don't give into the hate [which people did before the game even came out] and judge it for yourself. You will be surprised at how much fun you can have. Be honest and you will enjoy this game for what it is. :) This is a good game for any fan AS LONG AS YOU TRY TO HAVE FUN and ENJOY THE GAME FOR WHAT IT IS [a re-imagining with great gameplay, nothing more]
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    I have beaten both DMC1 and DMC3 (the original!) on Donte Must Die mode. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden SIgma on master ninja mode. God hand, Bayonetta, all owned and conquered. These games are all highly skill based difficulty, not cheap. I say this to let you know where I come from. DmC deserves a place in their hierarchy.
    1. Lets talk about FUN. The game is fun! The combo's are
    not button mashers, each weapon is designed for a specific purpose, and yet, one can still find unique combinations for excellent demon slaying. Weapons are not only for damage, but excellent crowd control tactics as well. Its excellent and accessible. Accessible does NOT mean easy. Do not judge the game's difficulty on its nephilim mode. I would consider this "normal mode" Most of your negative critics here are judging it on that. The difficulty of the game is about your skill, not cheap enemy moves. The next difficulty mode, Sons of Sparda, speeds up enemy reaction time, aggresiveness, and begins to combine the enemies in new ways. 2. Enemies are a joy to face btw. There's nothing as good as the cats from DMC1, but the enemies are mostly varied, have a weakness to exploit, well animated, and entertaining to fight. While there aren't many bosses, they are entertaining in their own right, and I can see them becoming much more difficult as the difficulty raises. Hell and Hell mode, where Donte dies in one hit, (without using super Donte) may go down as one of the crowning achievements a gamer can accomplish. 3. The game's platforming is a little to be desired. Its repeated a little too often, and is dodgy on "swing" detection" at times. Still, its nothing horrible. As for the story, WHO CARES. Its a game, and a DMC game at that. The story has always been crap. This one isn't really that bad either. You'll watch it on your first playthrough, then skip it as you begin to tackle the real challenge the game has to offer on higher difficulty.
    TLDR If you like fun, accessible, skill based action games that have varrying difficulty for all types of players, GO GET IT NOW.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. I recommend it without any sort of reservation. It's just pure unadulterated fun. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the character action aint half bad either.
  10. Jan 16, 2013
    To start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elements from the old games and changed them making it feel fresh and i like the addition of 2 realms the real world and limbo where you get taken to fight the demons and the edition of the training system makes it easier to learn the new combos .To end this review this is a fantastic game that everyone should try and capcom and ninja theory should feel proud of what they have produced welldone Expand
  11. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    When this game was first announced as a reboot by Ninja Theory...I as a HUGE Devil May Cry fan was furious at the direction they took with the game and had convinced myself this game would be a joke and a failure. I wasnt even interested in downloading the demo when it came out, but I began to see many different opinions ... some praising it, others bashing it. I decided to do myself a favor and just give it a chance and put aside my preconceived notions of the game. The Demo was amazing, and I felt very silly about having bashed this game so much before it was even detailed in the media.

I have played the full game, and all I can say is, I am extremely disappointed in myself for not giving this game the benefit of the doubt from the beginning.

This reboot even got the original DMC creator's seal of approval, and mine as well as a HUGE fan of the series. If you're a GAMER, and you want to play a fun game with a fluid combat system and humorous dialogue then you need to pick this game up.

DONT PAY ATTENTION TO THE 0 VOTES, I'D WAGER MOST OF THEM ARE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS AND ILLEGITIMATE, THE GAME IS GOOD!.
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels.
    10/10.
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    you really have to be objective and take this game as its own brand because it is NOT the same devil may cry that being said its a great game a bit short.....and starting on the hardest unlocked difficulty is a must if you have beaten a DMC game before. most of these bad scores are from ppl looking for DMC 5, which this is not. its getting a 9 because there should defiantly b more baby killing
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    I'm not going to lie i was one of the people who was angry when the new Devil May Cry was first shown. With that being said i think it the controversy really helped make the game as amazing as it is. The combat is very fluid and easy enough a new person to the series can enjoy it yet deep enough to keep the hardcore fans quite happy. The new Dante isn't our old favorite but he is a pretty close second i mean gone are the super over the top jokes and replaced with some great sarcasm that i found quite refreshing. The Story to the game is also pretty damn good, some people have complained that they made the story "Political and Anti-Business" well its just a game poking fun at our world. I think it has one of the better stories in the series rivaling DMC 3.

In the end no this ain't our old Dante kicking ass while being the BA MF we all know and love but man ninja theory did a great job with the series and in my honest opinion made the second best Devil may cry game yet. (Nothing can touch Devil May Cry 3 that game is a masterpiece
  16. Jan 16, 2013
    This was a fantastic game. I am not sure why everyone hates it so much. To me this sounds like a similar problem a bunch of children had with the ending of Mass Effect 3. DMC did a fantastic job in every aspect, people are upset with the contemporary setting and the short hair, get over it. DMC 4 did terrible and for good reason, it was washed up and nobody cared. Ninja Theory accomplished exactly what they wanted, people to talk about there game, no ink is bad ink in the review world. The more people that write bad reviews, the more hype the game gets. So in my opinion, keep the bad reviews coming because it is giving a great game more and more spotlight in the media. Congratulations Ninja Theory on the fantasmic-eye-candy-licious orgasm of the mind accomplishment that is DMC. Expand
  17. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    Ok so let me start of by saying I'm a huge dmc fan.I've played Evey game, saw the anime and read the manga. This game is a great addition to the series. The graphics are amazing, the game play is spot on. The level design is some of the best I've seen. Dante is Dante through and through. The game opens up as u play and one u beat it, he .. wait for it...has white hair. Don't listen to the so called fans of original dmc. This game is amazing I highly reccommend it to any action game fan. Stop reading and go buy it. Oh and son of Sparta mode after u beat it makes it even better. Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    The new story makes sense it has an american feel to it and is not as hard to follow. The DMC of old had a story that would make you go cross eyed and questions that went unanswered. This story feels solid complete makes sense and makes you more emotionally invested in the character something the DMC of old was unable to do. There are things I didint like about some of the changes such as the gun models ect. But the reboot is going to keep the series alive and well and at the end of the day all i want is more DMC. Long live DMC Expand
  20. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It is almost on par with arkham city for action, I would say maybe 3rd in my book for story (behind chrono trigger and the original bioshock as the ultimate #1), but the story is great. Things are pretty well spelled out after the first few levels, but with a good twist at the end. I feel like it could've been done a bit better, but it is still leaps and bounds above the story of most games. Next, let me get onto the combat. Honestly, if you are on the fence, play the demo. The combat system is fantastic. If I had one complaint, it's that the dodge system feels just a little bit lacking compared to bayonetta, but it is all in all incredible. Once you think you have a perfect combo mapped out and perfected, a thousand other viable options become available. By the time you finish the game, you can easily see that you've got your work cut out for you. There are weapons and attacks for every play style here. Finally, the visuals. Absolutely breathtaking. Limbo contains more than a few memorable set pieces, and I was truly impressed with what they could come up with. I will admit, when they first talked of a reboot to devil may cry, I was a bit pissed. It looked like it was going to be a steaming pile of $&*%, but I am very happy to admit I was completely wrong. I have only played devil may cry 4, but from what I'm told, this is easily the best entry in the series. I can't recommend this game highly enough. Forget the 12 year olds on metacritic, this is a must buy. I'm a huge dead space and bioshock fan but I don't think I will be picking those games up until well after release because there is such a ridiculous amount of playback value in this game. Try the demo, if you like it, you will love the game. Trust me on this one Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2013
    User score is just plain insulting and undeserved for this game. 99% probably havent played the game at all or given it a fair chance. This game is solid on all areas, and deserves a fair score.
  22. Jan 21, 2013
    The best gameplay for a hack'n slash I ever seen! This game is perfect... A dream of gameplay... I don't finish it yet, but I played it for about 4 hours, and it's so amazing! I don't care if they changed Dante, because what's really matters is the DmC feeling. It's a Devil May Cry game, you can feel... The atmosphere is there... Don't be so blind!
  23. Jan 18, 2013
    Seeing how people are giving this game bad reviews makes me wonder if they actually played the game or they are fanboys that are upset because they "changed Dante." Relax, people! The game is indeed good! The visuals are impressively colorful, the combat is smooth and fast-paced, the voice-acting....well, some of the voice-acting is good to decent, the music fits the atmosphere, the character designs are good (making you feel like they are in a chaotic world), some of the one-liners in the game are actually good (when said right), the replayability is good (since you can go back with your abilities and find the secrets) and the story is somewhat interesting. But there are only three problems I can see when playing the game. One of them is the targeting system. When fighting a group of enemies, the game will target an enemy you didn't want to attack. It gets kind of annoying when you are trying your best not to die in the game. The second thing is the repetitiveness of levels. Don't get me wrong, the levels are colorful and impressive in every way, but sometimes I feel like the developers were copying some designs on one level and pasting them some others while giving them a different paint job. The final complaint is the voice of Dante. Portrayed by the actor, Tim Phillips, I was expecting for him to do a good job, but listening to him made me sigh with some discomfort. But when he says some one-liners, I chuckle every now and then, but hearing him swear over and over, it made me want to mute the TV. In short of the new voice, I only liked 30% of his dialogue, but wished that they used the person who voiced Dante in the anime series. At least that guy attempted to sound like Dante. In conclusion, the goods outweigh the bad and the game is a nice little change for the Devil May Cry series. But they should at least put Lady and Trish in it. Then it would have been even better. Expand
  24. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about d*mn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game.
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    Regardless of the fanatics, who can only be satisfied when developers regurgitate the same game repeatedly for decades, DmC stands as an accomplishment by every unit of measure. The fact that Capcom even attempted to innovate on this title is remarkable and is to be commended. DmC expands a space previously reserved exclusively for the most extreme of the hardcore. The Devil May Cry series originated in a different era and for as good as that game was during its generation, the market and the audience is vastly different today then it was back then. Unlike DmC's predecessors, this game is simple to play, yet difficult to master.

It's narrative is compelling, interesting, and witty. The action is engaging without being cumbersome, and most importantly it's fun as HELL. If you like action games, particularly Bayonetta or earlier Ninja Theory games, this title is a must own. Do yourself a favor and dismiss the crybabies or you might just miss out on a legitimate 2013 game of the year contender.
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    this game is awesome. I have played all of the DMC games, and over the years, this franchise grew stale and i completely lost interest in DMC. after DMC4. Dante felt old, tired and i preferred Nero over Dante because his demon arm felt so much fun to use and pull off combos with. Dante of DMC4 was not cool and i dreaded switching back control to Dante.
    This reboot is what the franchise
    needed. It grabbed my interest and made me more of a fan than the last 4 games ever did. The acting and mocap is superb, graphics and design is awesome. the old dante is dead. Ninja theory did a great job. Way to show Capcom how devil may cry should be done. Expand
  27. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME.
    I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off !
    This is a great game!
    This is fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys !
    Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too !
    Ninja Theory congrats!
  29. Jan 17, 2013
    Fantastic game. The gameplay is fun, fast and variable. The game looks great, as does the character design, and the music is rocking. I haven't played the previous DMCs, but I really like the characters in this reboot, especially Dante. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't take itself too seriously. I would urge fans of the previous series to give this game a chance, and not reject it just because "It's different, Dante's different." Expand
  30. Jan 18, 2013
    As a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series. I thought this game would be decent at best but boy was i wrong i really really enjoyed this reboot. Everything is pretty much solid. I have no complaints about the game except for the overpowered axe and easiness of SSS. I have no idea why DmC is getting bashed so much. ITS A REBOOT!!!!!! You can't expect to have the same old Dante. I personally have enjoyed the new Dante and this new take on DmC. Expand
  31. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. The overall story kept me engaged and the climax blew me away. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  32. Jan 19, 2013
    The words "Devil May Cry" hold a lot of meaning for me. Devil May Cry was the first game I ever played for the PS2, and I've enjoyed every game in the series since it (except the second entry; what a shocker). I know Dante as if he were my own brother. I've seen him grow up, grow up some more and even take a backseat to another **** little white-haired bastard. I understand every aspect of Dante as a character.

That's why it surprised me to hear some people complaining about the new Dante in DmC: Devil May Cry. He is the same Dante as before. He's just younger and more immature. Weren't we all that way once (I still am)? Don't get me wrong; I was shocked when I first saw Ninja Theory's new character design for Dante. Now that I've played the game, I get it. I see no problem with it.

I also see no problem with making Devil May Cry a little easier. I grew weary of getting my ass handed to me in the older games, which could be agonizingly frustrating at times, and "agonizingly frustrating" does not equal "fun". If that makes me any less of a gamer as I've seen some users on Metacritic stupidly point out, I apologize. The thing is, it doesn't. It's just yet another dumb observation by a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even be allowed to play video games.

Besides, DmC does stay true to its predecessors in the way that its combat is an absolute blast. I found myself getting all giddy when I nailed an especially impressive looking combo. I kept nailing cool combos throughout the game. It may have been because of my experience with the previous installments, or it may have been because of the lowered difficulty, but either way, it was awesome. The combat system is deep, satisfying and easily one of the best things about DmC.

It has tons going for it. It's very fast-paced and exciting. As the game progresses, Dante gains angel and demon weapons. What this basically means is that one type, the angel weapons, are assigned to the left trigger, and the other type, the demon weapons, to the right. It's a brilliant choice by Ninja Theory that allows players to mix things up by constantly swapping between each weapon type and Dante's firearms.

New enemy types are introduced throughout the game, forcing players to strategize. For example, one enemy type might only take damage from an angel weapon, and vice versa. This can be one of the game's biggest flaws at times due to the lack of a lock-on feature. I found myself aiming but hitting the wrong enemy type a lot of times, which was irritating. Thankfully, the lock-on has been replaced with a dodge button, which is a welcome addition to the series. It can stay right where it is, thank you very much.

Dante can also grapple toward enemies or pull them to him. This adds even more depth to an already broad combat system. He can also use his "grappling hook" to latch onto platforms in the environment. The platforming in DmC is kind of a letdown, but it has its moments. Still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Ninja Theory changed it up a little bit in the inevitable sequel. It sometimes overshadows levels that are otherwise enjoyable.

Speaking of the levels, the environmental design in DmC is amazing. Dante has to make his way through a place known as Limbo, which is a world he gets pulled into for the majority of the story, and it's a world full of wonderfully grotesque and picturesque vistas. Limbo in and of itself is an enemy type. It really does seem as if the environments are trying to kill Dante. It was an ingenious decision on Ninja Theory's part to design the game in this manner. Exploration was my favorite part of DmC (and it often resulted in me getting a bad time rating at the end of the missions).

My least favorite part of DmC is definitely the story. It isn't really all that different from the stories in the other Devil May Crys. A bunch of incoherent crap happens and Dante says dumb stuff. That's about it. It attempts to make fun of society and FOX News, and all of that is funny at times, but it's utterly useless as a meaningful storytelling method. The character named Bob Barbas is essentially an exaggerated version of Bill O'Reilly, which means he runs his mouth a lot about nonsense nobody gives a damn about.

The story is at its best when it's exploring Dante's past and developing him as a character. Dante realizes before the end of the game that he may have a bigger purpose in life than lying around in a mobile home, boozing and sleeping with women. I chuckled at a few of Dante's unbelievably lame lines of dialogue, but a lot of them are just that--unbelievably lame and unfunny. It's one thing to spout off Schwarzenegger-esque lines like "You're fired"; it's quite another to brag about your penis being bigger than someone else's. That just emanates desperation.

DmC: Devil May Cry's strengths far outweigh its flaws. The story sucks, but the gameplay is great and the art style is better.
  33. Jan 20, 2013
    8.5 - DMC: Devil May Cry is fantastic, no doubt about it. Just finished the game today, and I have to say I am very impressed. I played 3 & 4, so I can't call myself an original hardcore fan, but I can definitely say that I'm a fan of this reboot. The new Dante comes across as totally unlikeable in the beginning - the opening cutscene is way too over top - but as the clever story progresses you begin to really enjoy his new style. He is still the same pizza chiming, one-liner too-cool-for-school hero from the past games but now he has a sense of humanity in his B-movie style antics. Like I said before, the story is surprisingly clever. It's not really groundbreaking, but more creative and cool. The places that you explore are hyper-stylized and fun to traverse; Limbo is one of the coolest creations of the hack n slash genre. The ultra-stylized visuals complement the game wonderfully, and the unreal engine pulls off some beautiful landscapes. The reboot also reintroduces the pivotal character Vergil, who actually makes sense and is a character that you feel for. Voiceovers are strong across the board, along with the digital performances. DMC wouldn't be anything remarkable without the fine-tuned dynamic combat. The combat in DMC is fantastic; animations are strong, pulling off combos requires thinking rather than button mashing, and the 7 weapons you eventually have at your disposal allow the player to pull off incredibly cool combos. The soundtrack, while I'm not a fan of metal or dub step, keeps the game consistently energetic and fun. There are some very cool boss battles, along with some incredibly creative level designs that really wowed me. The game isn't without faults, though. The Unreal engine sometimes has texture loading issues (nothing we haven't seen before) and there are some herby-jerky animations for Kat and Vergil. There are also a couple of sequences where there is no combat what-so-ever, where you are just running alongside of Kat or Vergil. Also, DMC has a bit of profanity (not as much as I expected though) that is inconsistent with the DMC name, which I felt was a mild turn-off. Aside from the gripes, DMC Devil May Cry was a hard game to put down. Looking at the metascore, it seems that fans were not pleased, but I also doubt many have even played the game. It's a reboot, and a much needed one after the atrocious DMC4. It's very creative and stylish game that really surprised me from start to finish. I can't wait for the return trip and going after those harder difficulties! Expand
  34. Jan 20, 2013
    As a long time player of the dmc series, This game simply is by far the best Devil May Cry game in the series!

Anyone who gives this game a bad rating either has not played this game or just can't let go of the older dmc series dante...which is wrong in so many ways because they are not even judging this game for what it is. in this generation..change should be welcomed. and besides
    people are always more vocal about things they dislike than like...which is an obvious factor here because this game is truly great.

I love this game, from the gameplay aspect down to the story, the character portrayal and everything else. I love how the story is more detailed and clear this time around, and I love the real world being a demonic illusion concept by the higher powers of the world.

As for gameplay, it may not be on bayonetta's level of gameplay which i think set the action genre bar very high. But it's controls down to it's combo's and variety and technicalities really excel in this game. easy-normal-nephelim may be easier modes, but beyond those difficulties start to provide some real challenge, this game can be very hard, challenging to master and overall so stylish and great in so many ways.

All i can say is, ignore the negative reviews...they have no idea what they are talking about. Go out and buy the game and understand for yourself what makes this game so fun.
  35. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels more British to me. I enjoyed the characters and have played all the old games. If you enjoy beat em ups this game is going to be right up your ally. Don't listen to all the hate about his hair not being white, besides when you beat the game you also unlock his old costume, so play on the hardest difficulty with the old costume and it'll be just like the old DMC games, everybody wins. Expand
  36. Jan 18, 2013
    Let me start of with this: It's amazing, the story is the best in any DMC game so far, and it plays so smoothly, even at 30 FPS.
    The gameplay is by far the most fun I've had in any DMC game, it's responsive, the combos a sweet, and the fact that they removed styles shouldn't erk you, the knew hold down the trigger button system works way better, and adds even cooler chain attacks, Limbo
    is such a unique and artistic setting that it's impossible not to love, even when it's trying to kill you.
    The fact that the environment moves around and tries to kill Dante added a nice level of surprise to every mission, even if by the last three levels started to get predictable.
    The new design fits, it doesn't matter if you don't like it, it fits, and what made this Dante really cool is that he had more of a personality than old Dante.
    The new character Kat is by far my favorite DMC female character so far, I wont say why though, too much spoilers.
    However it's a little short, clocking my play time to a little over ten hours a nephilem mode, and it's a little too easy, but those a minor things.
    Dantes latest adventure is a major improvement all around, and I also would like to mention, don't trust the user score, it's just a bunch of old fans angry because the didn't get a normal DmC experience, they however, got something better.
  37. Jan 16, 2013
    I am enjoying this game like crazy! I played the original but that was it! I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The gaming community is the most self entitled group of people I have ever known. They make the whole group look really bad when they cry over this stuff. And how they all came in here without playing the game and rated this a one is a clear indicator of how much they should NOT be taken seriously. You guys MAKE ME ASHAMED TO IDENTIFY MYSELF AS A GAMER. Expand
  38. Jan 17, 2013
    Being a long time fan of the Devil May Cry series, I was so excited when I found out this game was coming out. I finished the game yesterday & I have to say that is game is amazing. It was so much fun to play, the story was awesome & it's the same Dante just a younger more rebellious version. A lot of people hung up on idiotic technicalities like, his hair being different are cheating themselves out of a good game. I like where the story went, the ending was good, it was a nice way to show how Dante came to be the awesome loveable Demon killer so many have grown to love. Some people claim that they had issues with the speed of the game but I personally encountered no glitches or anything wrong with it. It's worth playing & if you're a true DMC fan then it's definitely worth buying. Ninja Theory took a risk & they succeeded in making an all around hardcore game. I'm impressed to say the least. Expand
  39. Jan 21, 2013
    My actual grade for DmC: Devil May Cry is an 8/10 but based on the average grade, this game could use all the help it can get. Even if you dislike this game it is still playable. A 0/10 game is unplayable, and downright disgusting. Dante is not as fun of a character in this game as he is in previous DmC games but he is not a horrible character. He has corny one liners and a very metal attitude with his combos. As for the combos well the auto-lock, while annoying, is not game breaking. You can seamlessly create awesome combos and even though that part is easy, as well as dodging, it is extremely satisfying. The platforming is the other part of the gameplay and is just as unique and fun as the combat. The music is fitting, the lip syncing is incredible, and the stages and bosses make you want to throw up a rainbow. What's left then the story? I don't want to spoil anything but it's sort of predictable but it is definitely a set up for a sequel so be ready for that. If you like brawlers and platforming then this is a fantastic way to start the new year of gaming off right. Expand
  40. Jan 23, 2013
    In response to negative reviews: "Slap in the face?" No. This content offends you? Why are you playing an M rated game? You're obviously not mature enough to handle the "offensive" content ,despite the context given in the story. Devs trying new things with a franchise is not a personal attack against gamers. This reboot is exactly what the franchise needs and I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually finished the game or paid attention to the story could be unsatisfied, let alone offended. Especially if they're a hardcore DMC fan. I get the feeling that many of these negative reviews are from the type of kids that were told they were special and exceptional as long as they "tried their best", and now they think the world owes them something because of some artificially inflated self image. GROW UP. Go buy another call of duty or guitar hero game if you want a franchise that never changes. The core question remains: is the game fun? Just enough was iterated on in this installment to keep the gameplay fresh, but the core elements of DMC remain in tact. They still have the mission structure, with secret rooms, scoring based on style during combat, and improving abilities that allow access to other areas of the map for second and third new game plus playthroughs. We've still got the cheesy dialogue, but much of the gothic feel from DMC 1 and 2 has given way to grittiness. The goofy cheeseball Dante of DMC 3 has been replaced by more of a brooding rebel in search of revenge. Like any good story, we see change in the main character through the conflict. We see this play out in the storyline which has Dante exploring what happened to his parents, and subsequently what happened to him and his brother. This resets us to the starting point of DMC 1 potentially, but in the current technological era. The excellent grab mechanic from DMC 4 has been included and improved upon. The art style of the game is gorgeous and reminds me of the excellent game "Enslaved", only MUCH prettier and that's saying a lot. There is a lot of artistic expression that plays out through the traversal and combat scenarios in limbo. Many of these are super exciting to play and really engaging. Overall Ninja Theory has done a great job of breathing new life into this franchise. It will satisfy newcomers to DMC and older folks like myself who appreciate artistic expression and creativity in sequels. Games like this move the industry forward. Games are for adults now, they're not just toys and if that's what you want, go pull out your Wii or plastic guitar. Expand
  41. ADH
    Jan 22, 2013
    Alright, keeping in mind that this game is in fact a reboot it loses some points purely for being a reboot. This is not to say that the game is bad, it actually means I am generally biased against remakes/reboots.

Okay, now that the reboot lashing is out of the way let's begin. DmC Devil May Cry is exactly what you'd expect from a series of this caliber, it's fast-paced, nonstop, pure,
    unadulterated badassery. It takes a whole new lease on the story, fills in the gaps where we wonder "what happened pre-DMC3?" And expands on the part where Dante says in DMC3 "Quite frankly, at first, I didn't give a damn." It shows how the new Dante becomes the Dante we know and love.

The combat is absolutely amazing with combos being fun, flowing and fantastically brutal, using the triggers to not just switch weapons but to morph Rebellion into something entirely different is an amazing innovation in Devil May Cry's combat mechanics. The downside to the combat is that the enemy types are extremely limited and most of them are just variations of basic enemy types who can only be attacked by a certain type of weapon. Still, punching bags are punching bags and demons are bullet fodder.

The visuals are stunning, the cutscenes look more like a Square Enix grade CGI movie, (seriously, go search up Advent Children if you don't know what I mean) and the gameplay graphics and animations look fluid and well designed throughout. Again a downside to the graphics is that there are a few minor glitches but nothing game-breaking and when you're in combat it can be hard to for the game to keep up with the commands you're punching through your controller, probably as fast as I'm writing this review at nearly 2 in the morning. so when you're in the middle of a fast combo the framerate can chug a bit (hopefully they'll fix it with an update).

The story, as I mentioned at the start of the game, is relatively faithful to the old games, the difference being it's been worked around and changed a bit but it sticks to the general premise i.e. guy born with demon blood, has massive sword and 2 guns, use said sword and guns to get new stuff, kill big things, get rejected by women, go home after ending the apocolypse. You get the idea except one thing in that summary I actually think Dante's finally found love! (Saying no more, play the game to find out.) And it now works to incorporate 2 major villains from the old series into the same game, which is a very nice touch.

The story may be a bit juvenile and immature at times but it also has the classic humor in there, which along with the new-ish story and characters makes it fit amazingly well. And allow it to flow almost seamlessly from one line to the next. It will make you laugh. A lot, which is part of the game's charm. And with the Vergil's Downfall DLC coming very soon should allow it all to expand even further, and will hopefully give it that darker edge. Which is great.

I openly admit I had low expectations of the game, viewing it as just another cash-in on a great series, but I am proud to say I was wrong. This game went above and beyond all my expectations and I can freely and wholeheartedly recommend this game for anyone who is either new to the series or an old-school veteran. It brings a modern perspective to a classic story and does so with such style and grace that it's easy to forget you're playing a reboot of an 11-year-old series. The only problems people may have is the linear design of most of the levels, and the collectibles seeming more like a chore. But it's a solid game and it's presented so well, it's hard not to love it.

If you look past the new designs and changed story, it's still the same game that we all know and love. Which is why it's an instant favorite in my books.
  42. Jan 29, 2013
    I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this DmC game, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. This is a REBOOT, and it has a different feel than other DmC games -- but the hack n slash combat is still amazingly fun, the old challenge is there, and I found myself laughing many times at Dante's ridiculous bravado... in a good way. The story is straightforward and has a few poignant moments. Most of all, this game looks better than any other DmC game, with more color and a dynamic environment that is constantly shifting and trying to kill Dante. I could not imagine this game being more fun to play, plain and simple, and that's what all video games should be about. Expand
  43. Jan 29, 2013
    This Game is Fantastic.The story isn't Great but the game itself is solid.Great Graphics,great mechanics, really great art direction.This is not only the best devil may cry games, its one of the best hack and slash games of this generation.
  44. Jan 31, 2013
    Great an fast storytelling. The combat system is well balanced and easy to learn but hard to master. The Reboot was the best Dante could happened (with or without white hair)
  45. Feb 8, 2013
    One of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console to date such as DMC4 or Bayonetta, partially due to the broken style system. I enjoyed this game overall more than Ninja Gaiden II, but the mechanics of NGII's combat system were also obviously superior to this game. I've never been skilled enough to consistently achieve SSS combos in any previous DMC game, and I'm ok with that. At the time of writing this review, I've completed all the DMC's except 3 (I had traded my PS2 for an original Xbox before that came out or I would have played it too) on the "Normal" (aka Devil Hunter) difficulty. In DmC 5, however, SSS combos (NOT overall level rankings) can be achieved by pretty much anyone who knows how to button-mash their way through any simple hack-and-slash game. Similarly, if you don't care about your rank, you can cheese your way through huge sections of the campaign with minimal effort, though a few of the boss fights will force you to exhibit some skill to beat, although they all revolve around extremely predictable patterns involving swinging between a few platforms with one of your two seperate types of grappling hooks while the boss will probably be trying to vomit on you or something like that. Most of the levels look incredible, and I like how they are all based on twisted versions of everyday places such as a carnival, nightclub, factory, etc. but the actual map layouts are bland, and there's so much platforming this could almost be considered a platformer with melee combat. The lack of lock-on made me curse alot as the game miserably tried to "predictively" select the enemy I wanted to shoot with guns and/or grappling hooks. I love the soundtrack in DmC, but then again I am into industrial metal music, and I do realize that a lot of people aren't. The game even suprised me by featuring a few songs that I have had in regular rotation on my MP3 player, which is rare for me since most games either have epic movie-style soundtracks, or just boring licensed garbage like a lot of EA Rockstar games. Contrary to other user reviews, there is thankfully only a little bit of actual dubstep in the game. Industrial is not dubstep, kids. The characters have a lot of terrible dialogue, just like the other DMC games. Overall I enjoyed the story in this newest entry more than DMC 1-4 because it was the only one out of the entire series where I could even tell there was supposed to be a story, even though they did copy a Futurama episode for the factory level. Finally, I would rate this game an 8.5, I would have given DMC4 a 9.25, and Bayonetta would get a 9.5. I'm rounding up the 8.5 since there's so many zeroes on these user ratings. People are acting like it's worse than Vampire Rain or something, I mean, come on. It's actually a pretty fun game when judged on its own. However, it's a step down compared to all the other games in this series (except DMC2). Expand
  46. Jan 26, 2013
    Love this game. Having played and still owning almost all the DMC's up to this point I really dont understand how anyone who has played DMC could not love this new DMC reboot. I love everything about the game and not I'm not just saying that. I didnt really like DMC4 very much, but this reboot of DMC is just truly amazing. The graphics are awesome, I love the new Dante look and for all those trolling and crying about the new look why dont you just use the original Dante skin and stop crying because that is the dumbest reason to not like or give a game a bad rating I mean damn it came with 4 more optional skins. If you have ever liked any Devil May Cry or Darksiders I or II or any other big name hack and slash then you will be glad you got this game. and to be honest I did not like Darksiders 2 at all and am not a huge hack and slash fan, but like I said I LOVE this game, and really did not expect to. I really cant understand the people that give this game a bad rating but when you consider that all the well known reviewers and critics give it high scores then you know that they are just trolling and crying for what reason no one knows, but this game is a must have! Expand
  47. Jan 27, 2013
    The story of DmC, which in my opinion isn
  48. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, no intention of buying it honestly, saw it was a new revamp of dmc so i picked it up, i regret buying skyrim, gears 3 and halo 4 more than i do dmc, worth the $65. Expand
  49. Jan 29, 2013
    The game is great, fun smooth action, a decent plot.
    Vergil is an a**hole.
    The scenarios are stunning.
    The soundtrack is the best in the franchise.
    My final verdict for this game is: A BETTER GAME THAN DMC 2 AND 4 .
  50. Feb 4, 2013
    I was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and character progression. You can also get his classic skin through cheap DLC if its that's part of the issue people have with him.The combat is as excellent and responsive as ever and its full of Holy combos and moments with flare and style. The evil media/corporation theme is very fitting this day in age so I enjoyed how it was delivered in this game. I mean, do people really think the owners of these major corporations and news stations are innocent little angels? Of course they aren't. So the story was fun and it made for some truly incredible set pieces that compliment the flashy combat. With great replay value, great graphics and art design, bloody palace (free) DLC coming soon and even more DLC on the way I cant recommend this game enough. To all fans of action games, buy this. Expand
  51. Jan 31, 2013
    This is an amazing game. The jump and run action is fun, the combat is fun as always in a DMC game. You have everything you had before plus amazing art. The environment changes all the time and is vibrant and alive. This game really set the tone for what I would be expecting in the future from game makers. I want a rich experience with the surroundings, the visual side of what DMC has shown on that regard seems unparalleled. The soundtrack is also quite good and regardless of what the hipster fans of dmc 1 and 3 will tell you the story and the characters are great and better even! Expand
  52. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the hate. This game is awesome - Ninja Theory have changed a few major bits and pieces, but overall DmC is a better game for it. They've revived and breathed new life into a franchise that had grown stale, and was looking like it was sure to be a relic of the previous generation of consoles. Even with the changes, the game still FEELS like a Devil May Cry game. The characters feel fleshed out, and Dante seems to have a lot more depth in this new story. Giving deeper meaning to his relationship with Vergil is also one of the best parts of the game. And for the people who are complaining about the way Dante looks... He ends up looking more like the character we know by the end of the game. Seeing him take this transition from how he looks at the start, to how he looks at the end, has a great effect on the character. This is an origin story in every sense - Dante becomes more and more powerful, until he becomes something resembling the white haired character we know. His physical transformation (even if it's mainly just his hair) emphasizes the change in the character that takes place throughout the game. This isn't just Ninja Theory pissing off fans. Every decision they have makes sense for the game they have created.

The framework for the story has given Ninja Theory the opportunity to design some awesome levels, that offers some "best in class" scripted moments. DmC keeps things fresh by constantly giving you interesting locales to hack and slash through - from an area that takes place within a reflection (causing everything to appear upside down) to a level that takes place within the motion graphics of a News channel. This is the most innovative DMC has been since the first game came out.

What people have to understand is that Capcom were pretty much done with the old DMC. They had no idea what to do with the franchise as it was. All of the people complaining about this reboot were NEVER going to get a traditional DMC sequel, as Capcom saw no reason to make it. It was either they make a reboot, or they make nothing at all. I'd rather they try and keep the franchise going with a reboot, than forget about it forever. It's just a bonus that the game they created for this reboot happens to be one of the best action adventure games of this generation.
  53. Jan 21, 2013
    DMC 5 is probably the best game in the entire series... fluid gameplay... excellent graphics and creative level designing...... story is short but pretty good ........ overall this game is AWESOME....
  54. Jan 24, 2013
    I have been a fan of devil may cry series since it 1st came out. I was very worried about the new dmc and boy was i wrong. This is a fantastic game and has everything a devil may cry fan could ever ask for. The new Dante is cool (still prefer old Dante). I think everyone should give this game a chance before you start judging it. This game has everything stunning visuals, great music and a well put together story. Trust me give it a go :) Expand
  55. Jan 23, 2013
    Let me just start off by saying that I like the new Dante. I don't find anything wrong and in fact may actually like the new Dante more than the old. Now that I have gotten that out of the way the real reason I am writing this is to give you the REAL information about the now famed "baby shooting scene" that takes place in the later end of the game. SPOILER FREE: it's really not that bad, everyone is talking about it like Virgil just killed some chick with a baby and then laughed at the father. When you ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME!!! you will know that Virgil has a very good reason to do so, even if it is somewhat questionable, it is not the worst thing in the world. SPOILERS HERE: So Virgil killing the baby of the devil is a bad thing? END OF SPOILERS Overall, I loved this game and it definitely brought back nostalgia for the old games while also being an entirely new experience. I found this game very fun with a great story and great characters. The only complaint I have heard that I somewhat agree with is the complaint that it is too easy. And it is pretty easy, but if you unlock the one hit death mode with regular enemy health bars, then i think that you will find that it really isn't that easy. All Ninja Theory did was give easier modes for people who don't want the default to be too difficult. All they did was expand the range of the game by making it more accessible. In the end, this is one of my favorite games of the year and is one of the best "button mashers" I have played in recent memory. Expand
  56. Jan 23, 2013
    When DMC was first announced at the Tokyo game show in 2010, I admit I was sceptical, everything had seemed to have changed, but as development went on I saw this a chance for the western developer Ninja Theory to step up and make a impact on the gaming industry and fortunately the new DMC Devil May Cry is defiantly a step in the right direction. You play as Dante a demon-angel hybrid known simply as Nephilim, along with your twin brother Vergil and a medium named kat, you set out to stop the demon lord mundus and destroy his evil empire, while uncovering the mystery of Dante childhood. I won Expand
  57. Jan 27, 2013
    A thoroughly enjoyable game, the combat is smooth with only a few minor flaws and feels refreshing yet slightly familiar. As for the story I found it engaging, this is where to game differs from previous entries the most (for obvious reason) but the main characters and their stories are engaging and the fresh take on Virgil's story alone is worth watching.

Don't knock it before you try
    it and I can't wait for bloody palace. Expand
  58. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  59. Jan 30, 2013
    This is the first DMC i had ever played and for those saying its repetitive obviously didnt get far enough to unlock all the skill sets and all demon/angels weapons. This game keeps your attention as the gameplay constantly changes and each mission has a different feel to it. I can't understand the overall negativity of users on this game, What a great way to start 2013. The story was also very witty and this new DANTE kicks some..White hair Dante is dead! Expand
  60. Jan 31, 2013
    I played the game since it came out, super excited for it.
    I put the game in my xbox and i was enthralled.
    The game has amazing production value and the oozes style, fighting is fun and fast.
    I'm still playing the game (currently going through heaven or hell mode) and i'm still loving every second.
    The only thing i don't care for is the lack of a manuel lock-on system which would've
    been great.

Dont listen to all the angry reviews it's simply not fair to give this game a 1 or 2, a true 1 or 2 game would be mindjack and so on.
  61. Jan 31, 2013
    This is the best Devil May Cry game since before the first game even came out! The game has great art direction that alternates between two distinct worlds with a brilliant soundtrack, and the plot has a kitschy '80s feel about it. I particularly like the design of Dante, who wears a stylish coat and has amazing hair (there's a hilarious moment where Dante tries on a white wig and notes how ridiculous it looks... so funny). And above all, the combat is great fun, with lots of combos spanning across numerous different weapon styles. The game has an extensive range of unlockable difficulty modes and good replay value. An absolute triumph and a real breakthrough for the series. Expand
  62. Feb 7, 2013
    Absolutely fun action game, with amazing level design and complementary music and sound effects. Story witch is not top notch by any means is good enough to pull you in and make you want to see want is going to happen next, as well as giving a solid ground for character development.
  63. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  64. Feb 11, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convoluted story that doesn’t have dante screaming “I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTT” and then escaping in a biplane no you won’t be running through a castle to fight one boss only to have to run through the same castle to the same area to fight another boss what you will have to do is relax and allow the geniuses at Ninja Theory to tell you a tale or in the case of some fans allow them to strap you into a straight jacket and force feed you the Nuevo devil may cry medicine .

(Dont get me wrong i loved the original devil may cry and it remains one of my favorite capcom games of all time.....right after Resident evil and Onimusha but to be perfectly honest this game was needed to bring back a franchise that would otherwise have been left buried under a mountain of Street fighter DLC)
  65. Jan 22, 2013
    The definite hack-and-slash game on the 360. It might not be the DMC that we all know and love--and that's exactly why it's good thing. While I own the previous games, and I enjoy them for what they are, none of them are definitively excellent. The have no story (don't argue, they don't) and just thrive on the beautiful-if-clunky combat that we all love. Sure, the story here might not be Pulitzer Prize winning, but it's definitely a step up for the franchise driven by nothing but killing aimlessly because the game tells us to. The combat? Beautiful and smooth, all wrapped up in an absolutely glorious artistic style. This is it, this is the game I've been waiting for. Epic as sin, and sure as Dante we're sin. Expand
  66. Jan 19, 2013
    Dante ist tot, es lebe Dante. Zugegeben, es war ein gewagter Schritt von Ninja Theory das Devil May Cry Franchise zu rebooten, doch das ganze hat sich gelohnt
  67. Jan 19, 2013
    Amazing game,the graphics and the story of this are awesome.Almost everything is interesting about this game,but the gameplay,is just perfect,there so much weapons,combos and fun in this game that I caught myself laughing on how much fun I was getting in the fights and in the story.
    Devil May Cry is famous for been hard,this game is no exception,if you try the hardests modes of course.But
    a thing that I do miss from the older games of series,is the freedom.This new Devil May Cry is linear as hell and there is almost none puzzles in this game.
    Even if all these issues,this is still an awesome and fun game,every fan of the series should try this amazing game.
  68. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a fantastic game in which I was so pleasantly surprised. Yes, this is different than the other Devil May Cry games and for one, I am glad it is. It definitely doesn't ignore the past as many of the overall themes are kept intact. The thing to remember is this is a RE-BOOT, not a remake. The series is being taken in a slightly different, more edgy direction than the first and I love it! Dante is crude, he is a bad ass and exactly what Dante should be. He's a freaking demon and angel mixed, he's no saint. I love the art style and direction of the story telling and also LOVE the characters. This is a great action title that is well worth your money. If you are a DMC fan go into with an open mind that this is again, a RE-BOOT not a remake and enjoy the game for what Ninja Theory has planned, because this is going to be a great new take on an old series that was dying for some life. Expand
  69. Jan 22, 2013
    I gave this game a chance Ive beaten all 4 Devil May Cry games I find nothing wrong this games Just because its not the old Dante doesn't mean its a bad game
  70. Jan 25, 2013
    The is a great reboot of the franchise and keeps all of the fun action elements of the previous installments. The art is awesome and the design of the levels are all unique. The acting can be bland at times but gives a better story than previous DMC games.
  71. Jan 26, 2013
    The game is better than I expected, even with a different Dante, the development team has made a great work. It´s not fair to say that the game is worse than the previous ones, some elements have improved in this game.
  72. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game, haters aside the new DMC is a great game, solid gameplay and a well told plot, also an awesome design, from foes till scenery details all have a great design, worth buy!!
  73. HMK
    Jan 26, 2013
    DmC is a re-imagining of the Devil May Cry series, after getting a lot of negative reaction in 2010, I can tell you right away that you don
  74. Feb 2, 2013
    Don't be fooled by what most of people have said, this is one of the best action games of this year. The story is WAY deeper than ANY other Devil May Cry game, with a huge replay value, the combos are more stylish, controls are easier to deal with and the graphics are just stunning. The characters are also more believable, thanks to one of the Ninja Theory's specialties their incredible motion-capture work. Even if you are an old DMC fan, i'm sure you will be pretty satisfied with this title. 10/10, for sure. Expand
  75. Feb 4, 2013
    I really recommend this game, it have a good story, great places.

If you are a fan of Devil May Cry, you should give it a try because is a really fun game, you will play it several times. Don't pay attention to the people says, you should buy it or rent it if you want.
    I'm a great fan of this saga and i have never complain about the characters, so yes play it
  76. Jan 19, 2013
    Don't listen to the hate. This game is actually quite good. Stunning graphics, amazing music, a story that is interesting, fantastic acting, and the Dante we all know and love. This IS Devil May Cry. The controls are tight and responsive, the battles are furious and fun, and yes, there is a humorous homage to Dante's white hair early in the game. At least rent this beast and give it a shot. I think if the "haters" would just shut up and play it they would be pleasantly surprised. Ninja Theory has grown so much as a developer wherein each game is better than the last. They should be proud of DMC and I hope Capcom and players allow them a sequel cause all I wanna do is keep playing. Thanks Ninja Theory. Expand
  77. Feb 14, 2013
    Let me start by saying I never played any other devil may cry( I know). Now that that is out of the way. This game is a fantastic action game with a great story amazing visuals. The weapons you get are fun easy to use but complicated at the same time. Stinging combos together to try and get a ss score is gratifying and frustrating all in one. The world you are is beautiful and engrossing I found myself just looking around. I would recommend this to any action genre fan Expand
  78. Feb 12, 2013
    Anyone insulting this game to me seems to still be upset over the "They changed Dante!?" issue from 2010. I say this as I suffered from this and wanted nothing to do with the game, until September last year when I saw the trailers. Even then you have the option of reverting back to the Classic Dante look in the download content. He is even put in the mid-mission cutscenes and almost all of the pre and post mission cutscenes. For starters I can say I prefer these characters to the old ones. I hate all things hipster and dub-step like, but this Dante seems more of a badass than the old one, he was witty and had a cooler edge that the previous Dante lacked. This Vergil, while more 'nerdy' in my view, is better in almost all aspects. And the leading girl is by far the best one from all the DmC games. I mean on looks alone Kat has them beat, and she also has a better background story. This story makes more sense than the other (especially DMC4 as I am still wondering how Nero came to acquire Sparda's blood and power) That was not really explained well. Really is he his son, nephew, some guy that drank his blood, what happened? The fact I had to replay every mission, location and boss fight in DMC4 made me want to commit suicide and realize how dry the well was for Capcom and how far they went for you unappreciative fans, just so you could use Dante. Really I don't thing you understand what else they could have done with those extra missions. The same with the DMC3 special edition with Vergil. The music is better than the previous two, especially DMC3. I remember trying my hardest after mission 1 in DMC4 to finish all fight scenes to avoid hearing the phrase 'The time has come and so have I.' (First verse of Nero fight scenes.) The music is different in almost all the locations and fight scenes, and get me more geared up for fighting than the other games did. The combat, I have the feeling it turned out like this because everyone wanted the iconic style ranking system and combo system, and then criticised Ninja Theory for not doing anything but make it slower and that they just copied it from the old ones, even though it was largely requested that the combat system should remain the same, or else. The 'lack of locking on' for me is a good thing, even though it is still there and they just got rid of the annoying ring. Locking on made it too easy, or too restricting, because i found I could change targets for abilities, such as Drive, by changing by flicking the stick/d-pad in the direction of the target you wanted to hit instead, either during the charge or just before the attack. Yeah it got slower, but when i played the other games afterwards, i didn't find that it got that much slower. The only down with the combat for me was the ease in which I could fill the progress through the style ratings to SSS. Nobody should complain about the mixed attribute fights being chore like, as those create the best combo atmosphere. If you want a challenge, complete those on Heaven or Hell without taking damage, especially the mixed Rages. I also read that someone said the fights were too easy on the harder levels, even though he didn't complete the game. This made me want to punch my hire a team of agents to find whoever it was, so I could kick them in the balls, because...YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE THE GAME TO UNLOCK ANY OF THE CHALLENGING DIFFICULTIES. That was directed at you Wesker500. I recommend completing this game on Nephilim level and then going up from there for the challenging fights. And Dante pretty much gets the same amount of weapons in this DmC as he did in DMC4, the weapons are pretty similar to those in all the other Devil May Crys but then again, the weapons are repetitive, and repeat themselves over and over, but in different colours. I love the half angel, half demon angle, and the weapons and powers as this made linking combos, cooler and fun, and doing so made me feel the style rank was earned, even though I think it was just put in there because, all the fans wanted it there to judge it, and the producers probably didn't. The environment is better, I enjoy that it changes a lot throughout the game, but I do miss some of the gothic themes. I didn't experience any glitches or framework problems, when I played it, so maybe it depends on the owners console/platform. I found it to be a great gaming experience, far better than its predecessor, as it was enjoyable for longer, and has better replay value. Expand
  79. Feb 13, 2013
    Somewhere in time I lost my love for rapid action hack n slash games but this game is insane! My love is back! The controls and gameplay are so well balanced. It's has a very understandable control system that lets you chain all the moves with all the other moves to combine wicked combos. The enemies are very diverse and challenge you to come up with different tactics. Always changing it up. The music is very cool too and the environment design is very very good. Gorgeous locations and inventive levels make sure you'll never have a dull moment even if there are no enemies around. That brings me to the pacing which is just just perfect. It's fighting, climbing, resting, jumping, running at just the right speed.

I really like this game. highly recommended.
  80. Feb 13, 2013
    Most of the reviews about this game are biased and uncalled for. DMC is exactly what a devil may cry should be; a wise cracking gun toting sword wielding anti-hero out to defeat the demons.

Story is well written if a little predictable. The combat system is easy to get used to but difficult to master, which i suppose is one of the replay values in a DMC game. However all the other
    stuff you'd expect in a DMC game is there too such as Dante Must Die mode etc... The only differences between this and other entries is that Dante is a) younger b) has different colour of hair and is not overly using the colour red as past incarnations did.

And none of this is a bad thing I like the old Dante and I like the new one. The new Dante is not a middle finger to the DMC fans he's an evolution. He has the same charm and wit of the old Dante, just more attitude. Which basically boils down to an overuse of bad language and gestures but i like this as i think it makes sense when you consider the psychological aspects of Dante's character in DMC.

Change should be embraced; so what that Dante now has black hair instead of white; that he is more Punk Rock than Glam Pop the game itself is a good game. Does what its supposed to and offers up what a DMC game should.

My final point is this if you think the combat system is "bad" or "clunky" or anything else go back and play the first Devil May cry on ps2 or HD collection and then try DMC. As DMC has a fast paced easy to pick up combat system while the original DMC has a very clunky combat system.
  81. Mar 1, 2013
    The low user score on this game, is solely because of people's inclinement to hate it for changing the original style and characters on the franchise. I for one, am a big fan of the DMC franchise, and even though, I, as everybody else hated Ninja Theory's new take the first time i saw it, i decided to give the game a chance. In all honesty, this is one of the best H&S games that's come around in the last couple of years, as well as, by far, Ninja Teory's best work (and this is coming from a fan of Enslaved and Heavenly Sword). Even when the combat isn't as deep as DMC3 or (arguably) DMC4, it's much deeper than your typical run of the mill melee action game, with new Dante's new mechanics making you alternate between long ranged fast angel weapons, slow and strong demon weapons, and the regular rebellion, as well as giving you three different ranged weapons and two types of hooks for either bringing your enemies close or quickly coming to them, with most of old DMC's signature attack's such as the stinger, with simplified controls. Yet again, it may not be as deep as old DMC's combat, but it's pretty close, and it's a blast.

As for the other aspects of the game, the story is full of cliches, but it's way better than your typical H&S game story, and honestly (at the risk of enraging DMC orthodox fans) much more interesting than anything DMC's previously offer story wise, though it lacks the charm of the old characters. By far impressive "non-gameplay" aspect of the game is it's visuals, which aren't quite like anything i've seen before, all the different visual concepts of the limbo world are just jaw dropping, amazingly well achieved, and are complemented by a sick soundtrack that gives the game a whole new attitude.

Overall, i was a sceptic about as other DMC fans, but i'm not blinded by my scepticism, so I was much able to enjoy this fantastic game, and you should too if you leave aside your fanboy crying for the old Dante and the old DMC style and take it for what it is.
  82. Feb 6, 2013
    Let me start out by saying I loved DMC 1,3, and 4. But at the same time I will not pretend those were perfect games. The major set backs in my opinion of the older Devil May Cry's were the camera, the gameplay in-between combat segments and probably worst of all the F***ing music. Dear god the music... every time you engage in combat there is only one horrible Rob Zombie song that plays over and over and over till my head explodes. Don't get me wrong the music in the new DmC isn't a masterpiece but it is appropriately heavy and diverse. Further more the cutscenes/acting in the reboot is top notch, it has a ridiculously pulpy story, creative level design, well done difficulty settings, extremely familiar yet more dynamic combat, and most importantly is JUST FLAT OUT FUN. Although I did prefer the anime style of the older games, DmC (the reboot) is an overall more ambitious and better game. Look at the journalist review scores, the quality is there. When it comes to user reviews just remember, haters gonna hate. Expand
  83. Mar 10, 2013
    Great game, good story and excellent combat. Don't believe the "fan's" negative reviews, but try it and you will be not disappointed. Trust me, i did the same and has 70 hours gameplay now.
  84. Feb 7, 2013
    The first original devil may cry was my very first ps2 game back in the the day. I always remember how great it played and it looked fantastic. My expectations were lower back then and when dmc2 arrived I was quite disappointed, then the third installment was a bit better followed by the dreary 4th. Then news of a reboot surfaced and I wasn't that interested as my interest in the series had gone. I watched a few videos and read comments from everyone moaning about the new Dante and how the game looked. n vtime I just realised thatit finally, I was hooked. It's slick, funny and impressive these were fans who couldn't let go. When I played it I was well impressed. People seriously have to get over it and accept that its a brilliant solid game Expand
  85. Feb 12, 2013
    I just finished it, and i loved every second of it, there is a lot of combos, great visuals, pretty good story line although the game is kind of short and there are not too many boss fights, but still the boss fights were really cool!! this game just makes you wanna play it more and more, one just cant put the controller down wile playing this, it really never gets boring at any point, I recommend you to buy this game if you are a real gamer and enjoy playing good games instead of bi*ching about them unlike these 500+ butthurt "fans" who gave this game a bad score.
    Sorry for bad English, I did my best
  86. Feb 23, 2013
    The user reviews are unfairly low for this game. The story and characters of this series have always been ridiculous, and this game is no different. If you honestly believed DMC 1-4 had a great story and characters, I am really embarrassed for you. It's a shame that this game isn't going to sell well because gameplay-wise, it's one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It is incredibly polished and well balanced in contrast to many of the previous sequels, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  87. Feb 20, 2013
    Much easier than the previous games, yes. I can't see anything wrong with that though, as this game is more available to the casual gamer. I have finished the game on devil hunter, nephilim and son of Sparda and haven't had any real problems except for a few fights that were a bit challenging. Currently playing it through on Dante Must Die and even though I do agree that it should be way harder than it is, I still enjoy it, hell, I'll even go as far to say I love it. The visuals in this game are absolutely amazing. The art direction is fantastic! As for the music, I liked the soundtrack. The aggressive songs with Combichrist pumped me right up at the start of the fights.

Old fans of the series seem to boycott this game without even trying it and that is ridiculous. Just look at the user score of this game and you'll see what I mean. I actually find the new Dante more enjoyable and likable as he seems more human (how ironic is that?) and even though he curses quite a lot in this game, it's always done in a tasteful manner. One thing I really enjoyed in this game was the ambitious attempt at a real story. I felt for Dante, Kat and Vergil and looking forward to the DLC.

The only thing that annoyed me in this game was the serious lack of bosses. In the previous games there were a tonne of bosses and in this game it's nowhere near enough of them! If they plan on making a sequel to this game, I hope they listen to the fans and implement more bosses as they usually are the one thing players look forward to and love about the DMC-franchise.

If you like hack 'n slash games with gorgeous visuals, tight control and metal music, I'll say this game is for you. if you hate this game with all of your existence, go back to the old games in the HD collection.
  88. Feb 25, 2013
    First thing's first Do not listen to anyone who's says that the game is a pure button masher, and that it's so easy that it's boring. I guarantee you that 99% of these people have not beaten the game on the hardest mode, nor have they completed every level on hard with an SSS ranking across the board. To do this, you must master the following:

- complete knowledge of each enemy's
    and/or boss' abilities/strengths/weaknesses
    - perfect reflexes to the point where you are able to either evade, parry or counter any/every attack from each enemy/boss
    - perfect knowledge of each and every level in the game, as speed is a key factor into you being awarded an SSS level ranking
    - complete knowledge of Dante's abilities in order to be able to initiate SSS combos regardless of the type of enemy/boss
    - no deaths, no damage taken, and very little to no use of consumables such as health/devil trigger stars (aka potions).

---------------------------------------------------------

Now, onwards to the review:

When I first saw the new look, the new Dante created by Ninja Theory truth be told, I was upset, and concerned that the game would turn out to essentially suck. Specifically, I did not like Dante's new look. I did not like how the level designs looked. And, I just wasn't convinced that Ninja Theory would be able to deliver a worthy reboot. I was wrong!

After playing DmC Devil May Cry and beating the game on Nephilim difficulty (a.k.a. 'The Full DmC Experience' difficulty), I am very happy to write that Ninja Theory did an awesome job with this gem of a game, and also that I haven't had this much fun with a Hack Slasher since Ninja Gaiden. Additionally, I'm also happy to inform you that in my opinion this game undoubtedly feels 100% like a Devil May Cry title. Furthermore, I actually like Dante's new look, and Vergil as well. They're both really attractive to be honest (I'm attracted to pixels/polygons, I know, it's sad), and I'm sorry if I come across as shallow, but an attractive character in any game that I play increases the fun factor, as well as the immersiveness.

Graphics: In one word? Phenomenal. Everything from the environments, all the various NPCs, the weapons, Dante himself- I'm talking EVERYTHING is polished to near perfection. The Unreal Engine is masterfully put to great use here. The characters look, sound and feel alive. Their facial expressions, their eyes, and the voice acting is something to behold. Team Ninja did such a good job here that we're talking above and beyond the uncanny valley. Not to be outdone the dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, the particle effects... I could go on and on. It's all breathtaking. Furthermore, the game is devoid of any screen tearing or framerate issues. It runs beautifuly and flawlessly (at least the Xbox 360 version does).

Sound: Outstanding. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. The music adds perfectly to the atmosphere. So much fantastic work went into creating the soundtrack for this game that it had to be released on three separate CDs. Also, the SFX is equally well done. Everything from the growl of a Tyrant, to the shriek of a Witch, to the boom of the Eryx all sound completely authentic, and all add to the atmosphere of the game, as well as the fun factor of kicking some demon ass.

Gameplay: As stated before, I haven't had this much fun since playing the first Ninja Gaiden (remake/reboot) on the original Xbox. The God of War games also come to mind. Either way, the game is incredibly fun, and you shouldn't be surprised if you find yourself still playing in the wee hours of the morning. From what I recall, there are either six or seven difficulty levels. There's A LOT of unlockables, not to mention achievements. If you're a completionist, this game will provide you easily with over 100 hours of gametime. Dante's list of moves are plenty, and they are really fun to combine into what could be an SSS rank combo. Team Ninja put a lot of work and effort into making sure this game never gets old, even long after you've beat it the first time.

Is it worth your time and money? Absolutely, and every penny.

For those of you wondering Ninja Theory has DLC (it's a couple bucks over here) which allows you to customize Dante's look, and you can get "Classic Dante" back with this option. There's a lot more DLC coming, including Vergil's campaign, and I can't wait because he has his own unique weapons and abilities. According to previews, his DLC titled, "Vergil's Downfall," will add at least 6 hours of unique gameplay to the game.

In closing, I'd like to say that this game is fantastic. As a hardcore Devil May Cry fan, someone who bought the first game when it was released in 2001 on the PlayStation 2 and has never stopped playing since, I LOVE this game. You don't even need to be a Devil May Cry fan, and I'm confident you'll still love this game.

9 10
  89. Feb 6, 2013
    This is a good game! Graphics are nice, it has a stylish and artistic look. The story suits the style of game perfectly. To those who complain about story this is a hack n slash not and rpg. And the gameaplay is great fun. The controls are super responsive and the combos look and feel great to pull off. The level of difficulty ranges from easy to very challenging to suit most gamers. To all you fan boys of the original series grow up and stop acting like spoilt brats. U got four games, be happy and appreciate that devolpers are trying to stay fresh and inventive. I sure dont want a boring and stagnant gaming world. If the game isnt for u personally thats fine but be more mature and critique the game on its true merrits dont just stamp your feet and cry cause u didnt get what u want. Your ruining the gaming world. U gotta evolve people. Expand
  90. Feb 7, 2013
    The best DMC since number 1. The new developers (Ninja Theory) made it more organic, less twitchy, and much more enjoyable than recent DMC's. Story and writing is also much much better than previous DMC's (not that it ever mattered in this game). Some of the more original level design of this generation. As an older gamer, I rarely complete a game more than once, but I know I will go back around with this. Buy it to support Dante (in whatever form he takes) Expand
  91. Feb 9, 2013
    I've played the DMC Franchise before, this is totally different.The New game, DMC, is amazing.Hack and slash, great combos, nice arsenal of weapons, good story and likable characters, I really enjoyed the game. Who ever's giving this a bad review, probably doesnt like the Hack and Slash, and the awesomeness of this game.
    I mean just the core awesomness, when slayed Demons with beastly
    Sword, or other weapons...
    you cant possibly give this a bad score, its mega fun, even if you dont enjoy the story, its mega fun, the combat and jumping around Smashing Demons brutaly awesome.
    Whoever gave the game bad review, obviously doenst enjoy the Genre of the game, dont play it, go play Sims or some "peaceful" games....DMC rocks
  92. Feb 10, 2013
    Once you get past the fact that this game is a reboot of a beloved franchise you'll find a wonderful game hidden beneath. Combat Is fast, fun and engaging. The story is a combination of the plots of the first and third games but with a lot of fresh new twists added in so that veteran players won't be board. Speaking to Devil May Cry veterans, as a veteran myself, give DMC a chance. It's a great little gem of a game that by the end manages to capture the true DMC essence even if it has a fresh coat of paint. Expand
  93. Feb 12, 2013
    This was if not the best hack n slash game to come out since the first darksiders.....im tired of everyone giving false neg feedback ....yea i was on the hate wagon for the whole makeover n my fav series is the classic dmc series but this is a perfect move n u can play as the classic dante if u wana be a cry baby....grat game ,great flow of controls, great story ,only reason i didnt give a 10 out of 10 is becasue i dnt like that he is half demon n half angel....thats the only part i dnt agree with Expand
  94. Mar 5, 2013
    Ninja Theory has gone out of its way to create and breathe new life into the reboot of this beloved franchise. The hue and cry over Dante's new look would be short sighted and a downright silly reason to ignore this game. The developers have done an outstanding job trying to keep things familiar and at the same time different enough, setting the stage for things to come in future. Ninja Theory has proven their expertise at handling the license and probably (at least in my opinion) outdone the original.

Visit: http://gamingimho.wordpress.com/ for the full review
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    Firstly it's interesting to see how many people wrote poor day one reviews about a game that they clearly hadn't played. As time goes on there seems to be more and more positiveness about this game. I do feel however, that the public are doing a good job about voicing concerns over genuine issues that are plaguing gaming such as EA's always online DRM for Sim City or EA's Pay to win micro transactions... or just EA in general, however, it goes a bit far when we apply this to the colour of Dante's hair. Dante seems to have lost his Mojo, this is true. He also seems to have lost the ability to lock on to enemies, to be nice to people and to smile. This is where the negativity should end. Many of us who have played the game rather than the demo feel that DMC has been treated unjustly. Ninja Theory have done a very good job and technically it is a visual treat (stop whining about a 30fps cap if you really care get a TV with motion plus). The gameplay is fluid and complex. Resorting to the alleged button bashing that some 'hard core Devil May Cry' players seem to resort to will only get you as far as in previous devil may cry games (i.e. through human mode). The stand out point is the level design. Just Awesome. In a gaming world where we are getting some repetitive and generic level design, Ninja Theory have really though outside the box and provided some of the most original and mid bending level design in an action game to date. How this can be described as bland and unoriginal in some user reviews is beyond me... seriously check back over Devil May Cry 4 and look at how much back tracking you have to do through fortuna castle!! I also wonder about whether some of the negative die hard Devil May Cry fanboys actually played all the Devil May Cry series. To say that the gameplay is dumbed down from Devil May Cry 2 is just not true! In fact you may find that many of the same reviewers also complained about Nero in Devil May Cry 4, saying the action had been dumbed down which I enjoyed by the way... but I prefer DMC (5). The only true Devil May Cry games have been 1 and 3. The addition of triggers to instigate Angel or Demon Weapons is a genuis move, and i feel that adding enemies that require specific attacks was a good way of avoiding the button bashing that people believe they are doing. I feel that Capcom have suffered from a premature reboot. I truly believe that they could have churned out a continuation of the original series, however, to trash this game is to snub a great effort from a development team who have made a great game I just wish we could have a DMC line and a Devil May Cry continuation like Modern warfare and black ops... oh and vergils downfall is even better! The story comes into its own in the add on. Expand
  96. Mar 12, 2013
    First things first anyone giving this game less than 6/10 is really stupid. This game isnt perfect, only reason i gave it a 10/10 cause the user score is ridiculous. Ive played and loved all the dmc's (exclude 2) and i gotta say that this reboot is a fresh change. The combat isnt as great as 3 or 4 but i have a feeling it"ll surpass them in the sequel (if it gets one) The only problem i had with the game was the boss battles they werent terrible but they werent amazing either. The environments in the game were jaw dropping gorgeous and i love how it changes around. The old series will forever be in my heart and i still play 3 and 4 but i pull off some pretty sick combos in the new one. Final note guys give this new dmc a chance it has alot of potential. Play it dont watch it on youtube. Plus vergils downfall is awesome!!! Expand
  97. Mar 25, 2013
    I felt the need to sign up and finally post my own review just because of the negative ones i have seen. Ok, I am a HUGE devil may cry fan. But i didnt really get into the series until DMC 4, so maybe thats why i dont feel as betrayed as some of these other people do. But i own ALL of the dmc's now and have played them all. And love them all, the second one a little less though. But you all are totally wrong on this game. Yes, it is weird having this version of Dante. But this is still a very good game. I am just over half way through it, but thats enough to see the quality here. The game is also loaded with content. With multiple game modes and multiple secret missions. And a ton of upgrades. The game isnt perfect, but you people giving it 3s and 4s are out of your freakin minds, I LOVE the combat system in this game. Yea, i wish you could lock on targets still. But honestly the control scheme wouldnt work with a lock on button. And i love how every button can be remapped. This is a very high quality game. The only problem i have with it so far is sometimes it gets a little too neon-y in color lol. But i can live with that. All in all its a very fun game with alot of content, and well worth the money. And personally i kinda like the new take on Dante. Granted, i loved old Dante MUCH more. But this game is still awesome. Expand
  98. Oct 12, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. And I really hope we get a sequel to it soon. Expand
  99. Nov 17, 2013
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Having played all the other DMC games I was at first not attracted to this game because, like everyone else I didnt like the character style. However once I played the demo I was over it as I knew the gameplay was solid.

Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and
    shows off some amazing visuals. The stages are not only the best i've seen in the series, they might be some of the coolest and best i've seen in a action game ever. Whats even more impressive is how great this game looks and its running on such an outdated game engine unreal 3 ).

Audio: The audio is kick ass. However this time is licensed music. Its all perfectly chosen and fit the game perfect. Its a blend of metal, rock and techno depending on the stage. Since its not just game music its actually stuff that you'd probably wanna just listening to for hearing pleasure too.

Gameplay: The game plays is awesome. Dante feels more like nero from part 4 in this one with his angelic and demonic grabs working just like neros arm grab. Imho this is fantastic as nero is my favorite DMC play style in the whole series. The game does suffer from some flaws however. Its vastly too easy. You're gonna just instantly wanna start on the hardest difficulty thats available from the start. Another thing it it seems impossible to cancel out of a move mid action.

Story: DMC has always had terrible stories. This one at least tries and it does much better than any previous entry. However its still nothing to write home about.

Over all this is the best DMC period. I really think people are missing out because they dont like Dantes new look and more "edgy" personality. Even though I honestly think his more edgy personality is more realistic than his over the stop shannagins of previous games.

If you're a fan of the genre its a must have! Go pick it up now.
  100. Sep 17, 2013
    Seeing the bad score i had to write a little bit on my own.

I played some of the older DmC games, but none realy that extensively.
    I like dante´s new look of, the action is great, the music is awesome like the best game soundtrack i can think of right now) the jokes are actually kind of funny, the story is not toooo bad. Compared to other games of the prox genre playing Asura´s
    Wrath now, or what was that Resident-Evil-kinda Ninja game called?? I LOOVE the lack of QuickTimeEvents All in all a very enjoyable game and there is no way it deserves a 4.9 rating Expand
  101. Feb 20, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.