5.0

1. Dec 21, 2014
    A really solid HnS game. Nice visuals, and an intriguing storyline.

If you're looking for a game you can spend some time just blowing off stress with, here you go
  2. Dec 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I started playing, I was hopeful about its quality. I'm not a fanboy; I see many flaws in DMC too, though it knew what it was doing.

First, its story is incredibly juvenile. It's a plot that mirrors the Illuminati conspiracy theory. Aside from that, it also criticizes capitalism in a very hamfisted way, with Dante scoffing at billboards and slapping a can of energy drink out of somebody's hand. Mundus, the leader of Limbo, is a demon who's a corrupt businessman who 'controls the world through debt'. No idea how that works, and it's never explained either. Mundus's motives are not explained, and there is no backstory on him either. He could just merge the demon world with the humans' and let their world get overrun by demons, but I guess he never thought of that.
    Dante meets his twin (whom he doesn't recognize even though he looks exactly like him), and is told that their father was banished by Mundus. That somehow motivates Dante to defeat Mundus, even though he had no interest to before, and he has no reason to avenge his father either, since he never knew him and has no connection to him ideologically or emotionally. Vergil and Dante never try to find out what exactly happened to their father, or even if he's alive.
    Somewhere along the line, Vergil shoots Mundus's wife through the stomach to kill both her and her child. It doesn't matter that that woman was a demon, it's still immoral. Dante simply reacts shocked, but shrugs it off fairly quickly - he even rubs it in when he meets Mundus. Throughout the game, the words 'f*ck you' are repeated at least six times, as though it's supposed to make you angry, but it only comes across as though the game tries to be as edgy as possible. It's very cliché.

The characters are one-dimensional. Kat does nothing but complain, gets captured and serves mainly as a plot progresser. Instead of being a strong female character like Trish, Kat is portrayed as a useless but cute girl. Vergil comes across as overly emotional, and he wants to replace Mundus as a dictator, simply because ''humans are weak''. Vergil also looks contradictory. He's got a posh Homburg hat, but he also wears a black coat with a blue floral pattern type of thing. His behavior is equally confused. At the end of the game, Kat reassures Dante that ''I know exactly who you are - you're Dante''. First off, she still doesn't know him well, and secondly, the hints at a romantic relationship make no sense. If anything, she seems to harbor feelings for Vergil, which are never discussed again.
    Dante himself is like an obnoxious football hooligan or something. He comments that he's ''Dante the demon killer'', and every time he smiles, it's like a smirk. The transformation from a-hole to likable, flamboyant trash-talker I had hoped for is not there. He is unlikable.

The gameplay is almost as bad, though thankfully the Capcom team worked on it too. The game has half as many combos as DMC4 did. The styles were removed. The lock-on function was removed, which means you're flailing at enemies Dante decided to target. There's enemies who can't be hurt by your normal weapons, so you're forced to switch to demonic or angelic weapons - which severely limits your combo potential in groups of enemies. Some enemies can only be defeated by grappling toward them.
    The boss fights are far too easy and rely on shallow platforming elements. One of the weapons is so overpowered you can kill bosses in a few hits, while also racking up style points. Some of the weapons have essentially the same function in combat, and the Aquila is only useful for disabling weak enemies so you can focus on a strong one.
    The gameplay can still be fun, there's still a little comboing potential. But with all the boring, shallow platforming in between fights (consisting of grappling onto ledges over and over), that doesn't help much.

The enemy design is lackluster; instead of having anime-like demons with elements from human mythology, we now have enemies like Poison, who looks like a huge caterpillar. The only demon who I thought looked decent was Bob Barbas. His fight was nice. Still, I can't help but facepalm at the juvenile comparison to a Fox News anchor. Just because Fox News is stupid doesn't mean it's evil or tries to control the world. It's hamfisted.

The graphics are okay, but most levels consist of one color; it goes from red to blue to green. But, there was an upside down realm, which looked great.

The soundtrack gets your blood pumping sometimes, but it's edgy and not too varied.

Overall, the presentation is hamfisted, the characters unlikable and shallow, the gameplay bland and two steps down from previous DMCs, the acting mediocre, the dialogs ridiculous, the soundtrack decent, and the graphics too colorful and monochromatic (but creative and epic). The game doesn't feel like Devil May Cry either; the characters and story are different, and there's no real horror or anime style. Skip this game, wait for DMC4: Special Edition.
  3. Oct 31, 2014
    Before i go off on a rant, can i ask why reboot a great series like DMC? Capcom has been failing with Resident Evil since their master piece with 4, 5 and 6 (especially 6 since 5 had some redeeming factors but not enough to make it a good game) have been terrible.

Anyways onto the game. It follows this "new" Dante and Vergil in this new world controlled by demons. From the original series Dante was born a demon and a human woman. In the new game he is born from a angel and demon. Okay i can go with that, changes it a bit but not enough to think this is a bad game right? Wrong

From here we find out that Dante has been changed from a witty badass to this uninteresting younger irresponsibly version of himself. He has no love for humans, he basically wants to sit in his trailer and cry about his past. So right off the bat hes an unlikable character. One of the opening cut scenes is him flying though the air getting dressed while a piece of pizza covers him up. He eventually changes his mind about humanity and voes to protect him, but all throughout the game hes not the same Dante we have known for years. There is even a pun at the old Dante, why? All Ninja Theory is doing is alienating the fans even more. We LIKED old Dante, and didn't want him to change. So why say F the fans for wanting the old Dante back?

Now we meet up with Vergil, our twin brother we just find out, and hes no better then Dante. Hes annoying and whinny just like Dante, and hes supposed to want to rule the humans but its never really explained why except for "I'm better then them" In the original series Vergil wanted power, more specifically the power of the dark knight Sparta, his father. Its all out there and explained. Here its not explained and I'm sure as a fan we just didn't care either.

Onto the art style. There's no denying this game looks great. The limbo world you visit looks stunning. Each enemy looks good and resemble a manikin(I'm assuming they were inspired from the original game) and they all look really cool. All the bosses looked stunning, they took a lot of time to design each environment and it shows.

Onto the combat. In DMC4 you were able to switch from your devil arms and guns freely and using the d-pad you could switch from what style you wanted to use, similarly in DCM3 you could select between 2 guns and devil arms at the start of each level and you could switch freely between those. In DMC (the reboot) you only get rebellion. On certain trips to limbo you are able to use rebellion on certain painting and upgrade it to demonic or angelic weapons and depending on what button combination you old you can switch freely between them in combat. Now where this isn't the worst way to switch weapons in a action game, I don't get why you cant just cycle though it instead of having to hold a single button just to do a combo. The guns themselves are a joke, the weakest they have ever been in a DMC game, I don't think i even used them once. Combat itself feels quiet shallow. Basic SSS attacks is all you need to kill most basic enemies.

This being a modern Hack and Slash game it has a ranking system, but its the most forgiving system Ive seen especially in a DCM game. There is no real punishment for using the same combo frequently and your rank will only go down if you get hit, it is no longer based on time.

Another questionable decision was to remove targeting from the game. On harder difficulties targeting is a necessity to easily get rid of the weakened and easier mobs or to focus down one harder mob, like a Blitz from DMC 4. Why remove something that is in every action game and every DMC game before this?

Overall looking past the fact of the reboot and on its own individual game, it has a few things that make it a okay game. The environments and enemies both look good. The combat is shallow and not very rewarding, but not bad either. The story and characters are both awful.

If you look at this game as a standalone, separate from the original DMC games it isn't a terrible game, it just isn't good either.
  4. Aug 20, 2014
    Quite possibly the worst game in the franchise. Even worse than Devil May Cry 2 from the original series. The storyline and dialogue sound like it was written by a five-year old, and don't even get me started on the color-coated enemies. Just whose idea was it to make color-coded enemies and weapons?! The boss fights do not live up to their name, either. I also can't believe that theQuite possibly the worst game in the franchise. Even worse than Devil May Cry 2 from the original series. The storyline and dialogue sound like it was written by a five-year old, and don't even get me started on the color-coated enemies. Just whose idea was it to make color-coded enemies and weapons?! The boss fights do not live up to their name, either. I also can't believe that the critics here gave this game a score of 86. That really shows how quality of gaming is going down the drain. Also, this new version of Dante looks and acts like a womanizing crackhead who also does meth. Also, when the hell are you going to introduce angels as a plot point, when we don't see any during the entire game? Except for Eva, and of course, Vergil, whom don't even count because they're basically giant lawn gnomes that do nothing. Yes, Vergil does nothing, even if he's a playable character at one point. Long story short, there should be a hell of a lot of holy fire going on, but I'm not seeing any of it. This game did nothing to live up to it's hype, and all it did was injure my wallet. Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2014
    In my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and IIn my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and I did not get tired. Expand
  6. Jul 22, 2014
    This is the **** game I have ever seen ever in 15 years of gaming. Whoever gives money to the **** at Ninja Theory studio, know that I will find you and **** on your face.

I wanted to vomit after seeing the trailer and kill myself after seeing some gameplay.

This is the truth, I am not exxagerating. Peace out!
  7. ECU
    Jul 17, 2014
    DmC does nearly everything right. Fast action, cool characters, dynamic levels they are all great and well tought. But there are some minor issues too. There are few too many platforming levels and they are not working well. This is an action game so controls and camera are designed for slashing, not for jumping around trying to land on the perfect spot. But the point where the game trulyDmC does nearly everything right. Fast action, cool characters, dynamic levels they are all great and well tought. But there are some minor issues too. There are few too many platforming levels and they are not working well. This is an action game so controls and camera are designed for slashing, not for jumping around trying to land on the perfect spot. But the point where the game truly shines is level design. All levels follow the same design elements though they are never dull or repetitive. Fighting your way through a dynamicly changeing level is too fun to miss out. Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judgingThis is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judging this game entirely on subjective terms. Expand
  9. Jun 9, 2014
    Yes it takes a bit of a darker tone with Dante, but come on. The visuals are amazing, the voice acting is alright, the combat was awesome, and who could forget Combichrist! I can literally sum up what I loved most about the game with one word. Combichrist!
  10. May 27, 2014
    Good graphics. Only this. The rest stinks. Really hated the game. Judge me, I'm not a big fan of Devil May Cry series, only played 'cuz I thought that it could be fun. I was mistaken. Very mistaken.
  11. May 8, 2014
    All people who already talked about the game...well all is already said.The game is good as an reboot...but the story is lacking and the characters are just ****
  12. Apr 17, 2014
    Many give this game heaps trouble because of the new Dante, who I do admit is VERY unlikeable and him with the rest of his buds just look like a tree house gang hating bad Mr Demon King who stole their ball. But don't listen to them, they are just fan boys who are just whinnig abut it not being the same as the original games. So for fluent, engaging combat, a interesting take on the storyMany give this game heaps trouble because of the new Dante, who I do admit is VERY unlikeable and him with the rest of his buds just look like a tree house gang hating bad Mr Demon King who stole their ball. But don't listen to them, they are just fan boys who are just whinnig abut it not being the same as the original games. So for fluent, engaging combat, a interesting take on the story and JAW DROPPING designs to pretty much everything this gets a recommendation from me. However things you must note is that there is no lock on feature which can be very annoying and you should plan to play through it multiple times in order to get to the harder difficulties like Dante must die as the default ones are just too easy. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2014
    Ignore all the flack that this reboot gets. It's fun, and really, that's all that should matter with a video game. Only problem I had with it is that it's far too easy. Literally the ONLY gripe I have with it.
  14. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,aThis game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,a patch of his hair turns white after he accquires demon form thats the explenation to why he has white hair in the others and its a decent one.. Do not listen to the idiots complaining about this game.. I never tought id say this but i agree with the reviewers way more compared to the public.. Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2014
    It is a good game with a good story. It was a nice reboot of a great series. When you compare it to the previous games, it falls flat, but as a stand-alone it was an immersive game with good graphics and an easy-to-understand fighting style. Overall it was a little too easy, and in other places it seemed the story was trying too hard to appeal to fans. It could be juvenile and theIt is a good game with a good story. It was a nice reboot of a great series. When you compare it to the previous games, it falls flat, but as a stand-alone it was an immersive game with good graphics and an easy-to-understand fighting style. Overall it was a little too easy, and in other places it seemed the story was trying too hard to appeal to fans. It could be juvenile and the backstory of characters such as Dante and Vergil seem to rely on prior knowledge of the series, so if I was someone who had never played a Devil May Cry game, I would find the story hard to get into but still a great game. Expand
  16. Feb 7, 2014
    I have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, notI have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, not Devil May Cry itself. Expand
  17. Jan 19, 2014
    Quick lesson on me. 1: I've played all 4 of the previous Devil May Cry games. 2: I've beaten and liked 1-3 (finished 1 at least 10 times)

When playing this game with the other games in mind you must remember one important thing: you play Devil May Cry games for the action, not the story. And personally, I believe DmC is amazing when it comes to the action. The story and characters arent absolutely terrible like many believe. The art style for the game is actually pretty interesting and I like it a bit.

Like I said earlier, you play for the action in this series. Really, I believe the action is the best in this game out of all 5 of the games in the series. When you fight a large amount of enemies it is fun and exhilarating. The tracks that play during the fights add to feel of kicking ass in my opinion. When you get a new weapon you feel awesome and want to just destroy everything. I like the way to combat system works and I believe it is done well here. There are only a few exceptions where I feel the game is a bit unfair (Im looking at you Tyrants and the final boss!) but besides that it doesnt feel like you are out-matched when fighting. It feels nice when you hit a bunch of enemies and watch your combo meter skyrocket.

For a hack-n-slash fighting game it does it's job well and pretty amazingly I would have to say. It's my favorite Devil May Cry game in the series when it comes to the action (you know, that thing Dmc games are known for). When I first played this game, it reeled me in with it's high octane fighting and soundtrack. I ended up not putting down the game until I finished it. It's a great game for people who like simple hack-n-slash with a little secret collecting.
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    a decent hack and slash game that maybe plays it too safe? it was an ok overall game, but one where I had more complaints than praises. The story and cast of characters were as weak as any game I remember playing in recent memories; it's basically I hate you and I'm going to kill you type of story. The gameplay is fun, however the magic wears off once you realize the move list does nota decent hack and slash game that maybe plays it too safe? it was an ok overall game, but one where I had more complaints than praises. The story and cast of characters were as weak as any game I remember playing in recent memories; it's basically I hate you and I'm going to kill you type of story. The gameplay is fun, however the magic wears off once you realize the move list does not grow as the game goes along, and the later weapon additions in the game were a non factor. I guess the secret to enjoying this is to not marathon play it. If your not hack n slashing, you're jumping from one area to another chaining to each other, those are the only two gametype in this game. Anyone who enjoys hack and slash games go ahead you'll know what to expect; but it is a step below god of war imo. 75/100 Expand
  19. Jan 9, 2014
    I want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game iI want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game i have played does not mean i don't know what is going on. In this game you are Dante who you just suspect first as a lady's man who enjoys partying but after he is attacked by a demon in the first level he gets drawn into a secret war where demons walk among the human populace. Within the first level you meet Kat who becomes very instrumental in helping Dante on his journey. Then after Kay helps get him out of limbo she takes her to meet another character named Vergil who is the leader of this group that may seem like a terrorist group but you will find out that they are actually fighting the demons that walk among the humans. When Dante meets Vergil, Vergil tries to convince Dante to join but at first Dante refuses but when convinced Dante goes into limbo where he discovers his origins which i won't spoil for you because it is very interesting. Anyways after that Dante agrees to assist Vergil's cause which is too help humanity in a certain way against the demons. Now i want to talk about some of the games positives, first the Unreal Engine makes this games visuals extremely fun to look, in this game you will be spending most of your time in limbo, and thats where visuals come into play, the level of detail in this game i believe can compete with some of the other hack n slashers out there such as Dante's Inferno, and the God of War series. You will see constantly the environment breaking apart and reshaping itself. The boss battles are another big positive to this game because not only are they really cool characters but again they use the visuals really well so when the bosses use their attacks they are just a wonder to look at, there really is no way to fully describe them. Another really strong positive to this game is the voice acting and facial animations, all the characters are believable they sound like they actually put hard work into their characters, and the facial animations are just spot on, no lip syncing problems, i would go as far to say that these facial animations are on par with LA Noire, YES they are that good. I may have said this before the story is really well written, its worth a ride and it is simply a fun roller coaster ride, there is one major plot twist at the end which brings me to my next point, this games ending is both action packed and emotional with a sense of morality. Now i will say without spoiling it the final boss battle will not end with who you think. It is so rare to find now a days a good game ending that is so satisfying it sticks with you in your mind, which this ending will do to you, because all of the characters are really memorable. One of the final positives for this game is the weapon selection and combat system throughout the game you will be introduced to at least 7 or 8 weapons, and each of them have their own visual flare, plus the best thing with this weapon and combat system is that yes the game gives you some standard combos but if you want to put some imagination into it you can switch weapons mid combo to create some really insane looking combos. This combat system is not repetitive in any major way, because the enemies in the game provide a challenge in a way that they don't just use one attack over and over again just like you they will mix and match their attacks. Now i have found no major glitches, no drop of the facial animations, and thankfully no drop in the frame rate. Now it may seem like this game in my mind is perfect with no significant flaws but there is just one flaw in the story, and it deals with the context of a certain scene in the opening cut scene. What it is, is that in the beginning Dante is in a strip club, and he is with two of the girls there, he has fun with them then takes them back to his trailer and the scene that results is that the two girls are in the trailer with Dante and he has more fun with them, and you will see the trailer bouncing up and down implying that Dante and the two girls are having strong sex. Well i didn't have a problem with he club scene because Dante was just there watching and charming the girls, and i also didn't have a problem with him taking them home but after that i think they should have cut it off there then resume when Dante wakes up the next morning. I just believe the scene i described when Dante takes them into the trailer did not have much context to be in there. So to me that was just a small disconnect from the story. I would like to say i am not against sex in video i just prefer it when it has context. In conclusion i would highly recommend this game to anyone, and my final score is really 9.75 Expand
  20. Jan 5, 2014
    This is my honest review from a fan of the original Devil May Cry series ever since the first on the PS2. This is a good game, it's a great hack and slash/extreme combat game but not a truly worthy Devil May Cry game. DmC is a lot of fun it has a good combat system that is very simple and easy for people new to this genre or who simply couldn't get into previous Devil May Crys and I wouldThis is my honest review from a fan of the original Devil May Cry series ever since the first on the PS2. This is a good game, it's a great hack and slash/extreme combat game but not a truly worthy Devil May Cry game. DmC is a lot of fun it has a good combat system that is very simple and easy for people new to this genre or who simply couldn't get into previous Devil May Crys and I would recommend it to that sort of person and then recommend that if you like it go and play the originals (not 2 though that one sucks) if you want more depth and complexity so that you can experience the best this genre has to offer. Unfortunately for veterans I have to say that this games lack of difficulty, lack of a lock on feature (why?????) sometimes lacking boss battles which were always a highlight of the originals, swallowed out, simplified and sometimes restricted combat and ridiculously generous style meter is what let this game down for me. Instead of creating a game that would be a true and worthy successor/reboot to the DMC franchise it has been geared down to be more accessible to non veterans in an attempt to boost sales and appeal which has backfired as it only sold 1.1 million far below its original forecast. had this game been a new IP from Ninja Theory it would have been very impressive, but it just doesn't live up to its legacy (it's definitely a lot better than DMC2 though, that's for sure) Again if your new to this Franchise/Genre or just simply couldn't get into the previous DMC's and wanted to go for it this is an ideal game for you, however if you are a veteran try to find as much video footage of play throughs as possible so that you can see for yourself and make up your own mind as its very hard to describe in words whether this game is for you or not. for me personally this game could've been a lot better if they hadn't stripped it of the mechanics and difficulty that made me and kept me as a fan for over ten years. I can also honestly say that you should ignore the ridiculous overating this game has received from so called professional critics who are only giving it such praise to spite anyone who didn't want this reboot, have never played a previous DMC game, clearly haven't thoroughly played this game through or just to try to counter the also ridiculous hate this game has received from fans. The user score on this website isn't fair it deserves better than that but I certainly prefer the original especially DMC 3 which was the best although 4 was still great. whichever approach you have come from in researching this game do more and make up your own mind but the combination of critic and user reviews here on Metacritic is very unreliable. Expand
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    i played this game starting to think that this is the worst game ever made in hole history but it wasn't as desapointed as i thought,but it is still disapointed.
  22. Dec 9, 2013
    personally I loved this game, I suspect the majority of negative reviews have come from devil may cry fanboys who are unable to move on from past games. If you like fast paced action games and aren't stuck in the past and are able to accept change give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
  23. Nov 26, 2013
    very solid gameplay and it has a great storyline. fans need to stop whining about how they changed dante's look (even though i miss the old one) and how they dramtically changed some of the personality. Vergil still wants power and mundus is still cold hearted and evil. Kat is an ok female character but not lady/trish good. What they got right was gameplay and style and how amazing it feltvery solid gameplay and it has a great storyline. fans need to stop whining about how they changed dante's look (even though i miss the old one) and how they dramtically changed some of the personality. Vergil still wants power and mundus is still cold hearted and evil. Kat is an ok female character but not lady/trish good. What they got right was gameplay and style and how amazing it felt to fight the bosses. The final boss was amazing in away how it complicated dante's growth and his caring to try and redeem the boss and protect humanity. V Expand
  24. Nov 19, 2013
    It is fun that people dosent know that this game is a REBOOOOOOOT and not a continue of the other games. Please dont care about the 0 givers they dont know what they are talking about. Combat is amazing BUT they made Dane a douche
  25. Nov 17, 2013
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Having played all the other DMC games I was at first not attracted to this game because, like everyone else I didnt like the character style. However once I played the demo I was over it as I knew the gameplay was solid. Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and shows off some amazing visuals. The stages are not only the best i've seen in the series, they might be some of the coolest and best i've seen in a action game ever. Whats even more impressive is how great this game looks and its running on such an outdated game engine unreal 3 ).

Audio: The audio is kick ass. However this time is licensed music. Its all perfectly chosen and fit the game perfect. Its a blend of metal, rock and techno depending on the stage. Since its not just game music its actually stuff that you'd probably wanna just listening to for hearing pleasure too.

Gameplay: The game plays is awesome. Dante feels more like nero from part 4 in this one with his angelic and demonic grabs working just like neros arm grab. Imho this is fantastic as nero is my favorite DMC play style in the whole series. The game does suffer from some flaws however. Its vastly too easy. You're gonna just instantly wanna start on the hardest difficulty thats available from the start. Another thing it it seems impossible to cancel out of a move mid action.

Story: DMC has always had terrible stories. This one at least tries and it does much better than any previous entry. However its still nothing to write home about.

Over all this is the best DMC period. I really think people are missing out because they dont like Dantes new look and more "edgy" personality. Even though I honestly think his more edgy personality is more realistic than his over the stop shannagins of previous games.

If you're a fan of the genre its a must have! Go pick it up now.
  26. Nov 3, 2013
    There has been a lot of controversy about DmC. The design of Dante was especially criticized. In all honesty however, being this my first Devil May Cry, I gotta say that is actually a really good game, and doesn't deserve the low rating half the users are giving it.
    First, the visuals. They look really good, and are pretty smooth. Some were complaining about it being in 30 fps instead of 60, but it doesn't feel clunky at all. I've got to say that, personally, I prefer the original DMC's designs, but there is actually an explanation revealed during the story. While the character's design aren't as good as the original, the environment is gorgeous and polished. The soundtrack is not really memorable. Too many heavy metal songs. The voices aren't memorable either, but do their job.
    The story feels like an afterthought, but I guess those who wanted to know Dante's backstory (at least, what WAS Dante's back-story until this game became part from an alternate universe), it will entertain you. I've got to say that I didn't laugh that much to this new Dante. Everyone I know says that Dante cracks a lot of jokes and trash-talks his enemies almost constantly. The only problem is that, these aren't that funny. He says a lot of and it's just not entertaining.
    The gameplay is what makes this game truly worthy. The combos are quick, fun and really entertaining to watch. The multiple attacks with different attacks give you a huge amount of variety in combos. There are some moments of basic platforming, but the gameplay is entirely based on combat. And I'm not complaining at all with that. The bosses maintain the fun factor of the game, through some can get a little repetitive. Overall, I'm excited to try on other Devil May Cry titles, and a little sad to see this title being left behind by a bad design choice. Luckily, it will be vindicated over the time.
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    It actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get overIt actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get over it. Ninja theory deserved so much more from the people for making dmc matter again. Ignore all the hate, and if you haven't already, play it. You wont regret it. Expand
  28. Oct 25, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies likePlayed DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  29. Oct 12, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. AndDmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. And I really hope we get a sequel to it soon. Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2013
    I hate these fan boys of the past Dante and say how the story of this game is bad. The story for me is like one of the best stories of devil may cry it makes sense and is compelling, it feels more realistic for a story line, but don't get me wrong the old DMC's are great but I prefer this story line. Everyone seems to talk about the downs of this game what? where's the ups like how theI hate these fan boys of the past Dante and say how the story of this game is bad. The story for me is like one of the best stories of devil may cry it makes sense and is compelling, it feels more realistic for a story line, but don't get me wrong the old DMC's are great but I prefer this story line. Everyone seems to talk about the downs of this game what? where's the ups like how the combat is much more fluent and combos feel great to get and how swapping between weapons is so easy. The writing for this story was serious but at some points hilarious, the new Dante may be a "emo-tized" but you grow to like him towards the end as he comes from that don't care attitude to a more I do care attitude and me with the shooting the baby thing its a game its trying show that Virgil is corrupted with evil necessities and also his lust for power, overall the game is great I enjoyed intensely and was not bored through one bit of the game. Expand
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    I honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** TheI honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** The story is tasteless and everything has been done before. The voice acting is.. okay. There are moments where when something happens that should be an "OH MY GOD HOLY **** type of thing, but all you get out of the new Dante is "Ohh nooooo." And that's not just the writer trying to make him seem like he doesn't care, as the subtitles say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Clearly indicating that he was meaning to put some actual feeling into it. The gameplay, while more accessible, isn't deep at all. It's kinda fun for the first 3.5/4 hours (half the game, so maybe not that bad) but even then there's not really much you can do. The scythe is a weapon that doesn't kill **** where the axe is a weapon where when you hit something twice you kill them and then a SS ranking for doing so. Everything combat related gets boring and tedious halfway through. You start fighting enemies that limit what you can do to them because only doing one thing will really hurt them. Bosses.. oh god the bosses. Only one of them was even remotely fun to fight. The rest where just a bunch of "do the same thing 10 times oh look now i am dead"

The music is actually pretty well done. I'm not a fan of the metal-type music in this, but the music Noisia did is quite nice. It fits the game well and just sounds nice on it's own.

Now on to graphics. The levels, the way they look and how they play, are pretty much the best thing about the game. I honestly stopped to look around in some of the environments. The combat would look neat, trying to give the feel that I was doing something cool, but it didn't actually feel like it at all. Also, the facial animations are.. not so well done. Half the time I would burst out laughing because of some of the faces people would make in the game. I'm pretty sure they where all unintentionally funny, which is the sad part.

Replayability is there if you like to collect crap, but the game is so easy, even on Sparta Must Die, that it's not really worth it for challenge's sake.

All in all, 5/10. Buy it if you like short, mediocre hack n slash games. If you're interested in it, just wait a bit to pick it up for $20. That's about how much it's worth.

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.