5.0

1. Jan 20, 2013
    Donte the franchise killer. Take the gameplay from Heavenly Sword, the plot from an emo reimagining of They live, and slap Devil May Cry's name on it.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Where to start with this awful game...

Struggles to maintain 30 FPS when DMC 3 and DMC 4 maintained 60 FPS; this means DmC can rarely handle more than 4 enemies on screen. Cutscenes tend to have issues with noticeable FPS drops Characters are unlikable. Donte is a prick that acts like trailer trash, Vorgil kills a defenseless woman, and Kat is just a plot device. After Vorgil kills
    Where to start with this awful game...

Characters are unlikable. Donte is a prick that acts like trailer trash, Vorgil kills a defenseless woman, and Kat is just a plot device. After Vorgil kills Lilith and her baby, Donte mocks Mundus about it. I know that we're suppose to hate Mundus for being the 1%, but come the **** on; that's just heartless. How can NT sit there with a straight face and tell me that Donte and Vorgil are so much better people than Mundus?
    Game doesn't have any of the over-the-top cutscenes that became a big part of the action genre in DMC 3. Instead, Donte and Vorgil are edgy and abort fetuses.
    The dialogue is awful **** you, **** you, **** you).
    There are no more styles; only generic light, medium, and heavy stances. Welcome to Heavenly Sword 2.0.
    Style meter is more-or-less a damage meter now. You don't have to mix up your combos. Just keep hitting them with Arbiter.
    Demon Dodge + Arbiter gives you an easy SSS (S rank alone should never be easy in DMC, otherwise where's the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment?)
    The plot is awful. It's a rip-off of They Live and poorly done at that. After Mundus dies, the hellgate opens and demons pour out. I guess Donte and Vorgil don't seem to care that countless humans will likely die because now demons are running wild through the world. Donte fights Vorgil because Vorgil wants to rule humans, but Donte refuses to kill him because he'd be worse than Vorgil or some **** like that. The plot doesn't make sense.
    Gameplay is watered-down. Each weapon has significantly less combos than in DMC 3 or DMC 4. There's a dedicated launch button now instead of the class lock-on button+hold back+B or Square. The game has two dodge buttons; two dodge buttons is a waste.
    There's no lock-on. What does the game honestly gain by losing the lock-on button to focus on the specific enemy you want to attack?

The game is just one deeply offensive insult to DMC fans. Don't listen to the gaming "journalists" that antagonize and troll DMC fans over this; this game is absolute garbage. We've known that it's garbage from a design perspective for years and the demo confirmed that the gameplay is a trainwreck, but it still receives 9s and 8s. Do yourself a favor and buy anything else. DMC HD Collection and DMC 4 cost less than DmC and are much better. You can buy Bayonetta and that game is much better. You can wait next month for MGR.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    To begin with, i think it's rediculous that paid-reviewers are giving this game scores in the 90s and above. When i say paid reviewers, that can be taken in two ways, either they are paid as a job to review games professionally, or Capcom has bribed them to just give 8/9 out of 10 as a rule, no matter how much of a train wreck it is. This is one of those games.

To begin with, when

To begin with, when you're making a reboot of a series, be it a movie, or a video game, or any piece of media, it helps to check what came before, as a guide-post to show you what was worth keeping, and what needed to be fixed. The Batman series did this, Nolan looked at what was good about the old batman movies, and what went wrong, he kept the dark under-tones, the gadgets, the focus on action. But dropped the campy 60s vibe, and the over-the-top villain designs.

DmC has done half of this. They set out to re-model the old Dante, who, as far as i know wasn't really the reason the game series was worse. But fair enough, they re-modeled him, into a foul mouthed brat basically, a far different affair to the camp, humourous, over-the-top Dante we used to have. The new Dante swears every other sentence, and is quite happy to let his brother kill babies and pregnant women, not really hero material, i know, not even anti-hero material. But giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the old one needed the reboot, fine, we'll ignore this, the thing Ninja theory have focused on as 'the sole reason DmC is controvercial', was the dante overhall.

Problem is, Devil May Cry, has only ever been on the very surface of it, a game about visuals, story, and Dante. The core of the game is it's game-play, games are supposed to be played, not watched. Old Devil May Cry was known for it's challenge, it's fluid and perfect combat system. The new DmC has taken absolutely nothing from the old series staple game-play system, it has the rankings of D-C-B-A-S etc. But it no longer has styles, and you are dropped to a bare minimum of weapons. The gameplay is effectively lifted from Ninja Theory's past failed game, heavenly sword. There is no lock on, you're trapped with 3 very boring, standard weapons. And in total, the game has a lifespan that lasts about one sitting. It isn't very difficult, whatsoever, even on it's harder modes.

All in all, the game is as bad as the negative hype built it to be. I was hoping that the game would just get past the basic negative hype of 'Dante looks different, boo!' and have a solid action game underneath with a decent story. Instead, it's built on that negativity, even the core gameplay is missing. Either way, Devil May Cry as a series is done for, if this game sells well, there'll be another, and the old series will be replaced. If this game fails, we won't see another game for many years.
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reductionI'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reduction in the number of maneuvers possible. I hope they try to raise the bar with the combat in the inevitable sequel. Its certainly BETTER than what was in the demo, but thats not saying much. Its also better than NT's previous titles by a large margin so good on them. Heck I'd say its even better than God of War. But it absolutely does NOT deserve the Devil May Cry name. Those are massive boots to fill. MASSIVE. DMC started the 3D action genre in 2001. Its the only reason there was a market for **** games like Heavenly Sword. If you want to be the next DMC developer, you have to focus on the combat. Do whatever you want with the character design and story - I really don't care at the end of the day so long as the combat is world-class like previous titles. What we got instead was a generic light-heavy system that has plagued the genre for years due to mediocre game design and incompetent game developers. Expand
  5. Jan 16, 2013
    Boring cutscene:
    Casual final boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhofW4tFPo
    Auto lock issue:
  6. Jan 16, 2013
    ....do I even need to explain how HORRIBLE this game is?
    The story is horrible,
    The Final Boss battle was a disappointment, Crapcom and Ninja Theory being **** The graphics are par at best, and [Most of] the characters in DmC are unlikable. However, the only characters that took my interest were Kat and Phineas, everyone else were either Sadistic or plain uninteresting. The Gameplay
    ....do I even need to explain how HORRIBLE this game is?
    The story is horrible,
    The Final Boss battle was a disappointment,
    Crapcom and Ninja Theory being ****
    The graphics are par at best,
    and [Most of] the characters in DmC are unlikable.
    The Gameplay is HORRIBLE, why the F*** is there no manual lock-on function to perform better, more agile, combos with your weapon set? And why did they use the Unreal Engine instead of a MT Framework system? Makes no god-damn sense.
    superninjatam and alex jones insulting the original DMC fanbase, these so-called "reviewers" being bribed to PRAISE THE LIVING S*** out of this game, and insulting us even further by adding a Easter Egg of DINO looking at a mirror with Original Dante's wig during the 1st mission while DINO goes on and says, "not in a million years" before throwing it to the ground.
    ...To be honest, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance, which will be release next month, feels more like a Devil May Cry game than this piece of F****** S***.
    I'm glad I've listen to my wallet, my peeps, and Main Event about this atrocious game.
    Saved $60+
    ...One more thing, you'll have to wait next month for Vergil's Downfall to be released for those who bought this damn game.
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    While many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everythingWhile many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everything right while they clearly have not. Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    Well, I finished this game in only a few hours and was heavily disappointed. I made sure not to listen to any fans bashing the game because it wasn't the same as the originals just so I could observe it for myself and as a standalone game; not an entry into the series.

I'm okay with swearing, but the characters were swearing and using sexual imagery constantly, it was completely juvenile. The story was extremely boring, just a simple "we are special because of x so this means we are the only ones who can kill y". The gameplay was also very repetitive with bosses that would take one swing every few minutes and let you wail on them forever until you dodge their next move, it was disgustingly easy even on the highest difficulty.

Do not buy this game, if you want to play it then just buy it second hand but don't expect anything good.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    The game is a complete train wreak. Absolute garbage from beginning to end. The characters are idiotic, the writing is cheesy, the gameplay is slow and boring, and the framerate is locked at 30 fps. I had more fun unclogging my toilet than playing this game.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a genericOh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a generic rebellious, "Occupy Wall Street", da-corporashuns-ar-evul teenage anarchist and his quest to destroy the evil not-Fox-News.

On the visual end, it's passable for a game designed to run on ancient hardware. There are noticeable frame rate drops and the performance is often shaky at best, but the general appearance of the world is interesting to a fault. The actual design of the levels however, is not. It's very straightforward and boring, with little variance in what you actually have to do.

Ultimately, the game will leave long standing fans upset and disappointed, and newcomers confused and disgusted. Pass on it.
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 3/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    It's almost as bad as predicted. The combat can be fun, however everything else is like a middle finger to the fans of the series with bad writing(even for Devil May Cry), awful story, uninteresting characters, and little challenge.
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a bad game.

This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're fighting EVIL DEMON BILL O 'REILLY head, they have to make him yell DO IT LIVE, in case you hadn't caught on to the fact that it was bill o reilly.

The only good part of the story is the interaction between Dante and Vergil, which hilariously is ruined by the ending, because Ninja Theory had to have a sequel hook. Oh, and the final boss fight occurs for literally no reason whatsoever.

The Combat is bad. Slow, plodding, and boring. No Lock-On limits options. Enemies requiring specific weapons limits options. The ability to fly forever as long as you have an enemy to beat on makes the game pathetically easy. The weapons are all either useless or overpowered. Certain enemies are a chore to fight because they only take damage from the weakest weapons and everything has too much health, especially on higher difficulties.

No Replayability. Replayability in previous DMC games and games like Ninja Gaiden come from the grading system. You replay levels to get a high score, or on a harder difficulty because traditionally games like this have NOT had gradient difficulty. In Devil May Cry games before this one, increasing the difficulty made enemies behave differently, sometimes radically so. In DmC it just gives them much more health, and slightly increases the damage they do.

The style system is utterly broken. It's based on damage rather than variety, allowing players to button mash their way into a perfect rank. It never degrades unless hit, a vast departure from previous games. The 'Completition' score, which is based on how many secrets you find, locks when you find everything, so you never have to collect them again on subsequent playthroughs of the level. This allows players to cheese the grading system by collecting everything on one run, and then jetting through the level as quickly as possible on another to get the best time ranking. Perfect scores in other games are testaments to your skill. In DmC they are testaments to having 20 minutes to burn.

No interesting bossfights beyond the final one, which is a watered down version of the encounter at the end of Devil May Cry 3.

In summary, DmC: Devil May Cry, is bad. It has bad writing, bad gameplay, bad grading, bad bosses, and no replayability. Don't buy it. Don't even rent it.
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    I came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hardI came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hard lock-on means you will be constantly attacking enemies you did not want to attack and your move set is much smaller than previous games. The styles meter is now damage based, which means you can spam the same move over and over to reach SSS rank. Finally series staples much as taunting and styles have been removed. Everything they have done to this game is a step back from previous games, every previous Devil May Cry game has added features and built upon previous games, while this game removes features and adds nothing of value.

TLDR: The game is a piece of garbage that's worse than Devil May Cry 2 save yourself $60 and don't buy it.
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is an insult to everyone that's a fan of the older DMC games. Protagonist is an edgy teenager pandering to 15 year olds that can't swear in front of their mommies or they won't get dessert after dinner, style meter was completely destroyed, runs at 30 FPS, has no lock-in button and most weapons are useless if you can just axe people to death, horrible soundtrack. Gave it a 1This game is an insult to everyone that's a fan of the older DMC games. Protagonist is an edgy teenager pandering to 15 year olds that can't swear in front of their mommies or they won't get dessert after dinner, style meter was completely destroyed, runs at 30 FPS, has no lock-in button and most weapons are useless if you can just axe people to death, horrible soundtrack. Gave it a 1 cause it has nice visuals sometimes. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2013
    The big problem of this game is the name, because comparison with the previous DMC is inevitable. The first mission is good, but just the first mission. The game doesn´t give you something new to the genre. The combat is boring and repetitive and doesn´t give the depth We all feel in DMC 3 and 4. Story is horrendous and some scenes are disgusting (Tameem has a problem withThe big problem of this game is the name, because comparison with the previous DMC is inevitable. The first mission is good, but just the first mission. The game doesn´t give you something new to the genre. The combat is boring and repetitive and doesn´t give the depth We all feel in DMC 3 and 4. Story is horrendous and some scenes are disgusting (Tameem has a problem with women?). I don´t have problem with changes, but this is just a completely different game with the DMC name on it, just to sell copies. And the worse is all the hate that caused. I can´t believe jornalist can support companies like Ninja Theory. Sorry but this is the first time I can´t recommend a Devil May Cry and it´s sad because it was a great franchise. :( Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2013
    Starting with gameplay:
    -Undeniably laughable difficulty, this is an objective fact. You cannot maintain the stance that DMC's even hardest difficulties pose a challenge and claim to be a 'gamer'
    Starting with gameplay:
    -the Style system, subjectively the most important piece of the Devil May Cry formula has been hideously disemboweled in this title. There are barely penalties for spamming the same move, combos can now break through more than one grade, and gaining ranks is child's play. Don't try and claim that this makes it more accessable in a positive way, because the Style system is the most fun and rewarding aspects of Devil May Cry, and this new system replaces building a balsa model with playing with Duplex. See /watch?v=BNyNX0jY7aA before you reply
    -Canceling has been ruined under the new system. Although in previous games the jump-cancel has never been identical, the new system promotes either ignoring the feature of jump-canceling or the explotation of jump-canceling to gain higher combos unfairly.
    -Elimination of lock-on system makes manipulation of direction attacks a thing of the past, and creates a stronger focus on mashing on the enemy in front of you as opposed to using the 3 different lock-on systems to quickly engage a new foe. Basically, this allows people with low brain power to play the game without having to plan out their attacks.

Character design:
    For a full explanation of why Donte is terribly written, please go to /watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc
    However, I will gladly sum up why Donte and the other Ninja Theory cartoon characters are terrible without mentioning the hair.
    -Vorgil, Donte's brother, is now an overly edgy and stupid looking caricature of his role in the past. For instance, in one scene, he purposely shoots a pregnant woman with a sniper rifle with the goal of keeping her alive and aborting the fetus. This is from the character who canonically would not use guns as they were dishonorable. And don't give me any bull about how this is only offending me, as i've seen far worse things handled in far more mature ways. Ninja Theory's only goal here was to be as anti-confirmatory as possible, which they succeeded in in an unintentionally hilarious way.
    -Kat, the main Donte-Gal, uses magic squirrel semen to do magic. To quote the article, "Ninja Theory has kept its sense of humour." Hilarious, right?
    -Donte is a whiny spoiled brat. Watch the video above, seriously. Watch it. This is coming from the goofy, lovable, and overall kindhearted Dante of Devil May Cry. I don't know who could possible prefer the rebooted character over Dante, excluding mallgoths who shop at hot topic Dialogue
    -"F**K YOU' "F**K YOU" "F**K YOU"
    -"I've got a bigger dick"
    -"I am Mundus, the Demon King"
    This game seems like it was written by children, for children.
  18. Jan 17, 2013
    Everything as been said about this joke of a game. Yeah there a few good artistic-wise but it doesn't make up for the rest. Avoid it unless you get it for 10$.
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    This is one of those games that went from having a deep, complex, and challenging battle system to a game where you press X to win. There is like 1 or 2 combos that you'll use throughout the game and not even come close to needing any of the others. Not to mention the terrible voice acting, asinine plot, and watered down art design to cater to all the new gen console babies. I returnedThis is one of those games that went from having a deep, complex, and challenging battle system to a game where you press X to win. There is like 1 or 2 combos that you'll use throughout the game and not even come close to needing any of the others. Not to mention the terrible voice acting, asinine plot, and watered down art design to cater to all the new gen console babies. I returned this game day one, I had to resort to lying about how the game with scratched and wouldn't play. Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? How about with the complaint that Ninja Theory and Capcom are brushing aside? This is the new entry in a decade long franchise, but has been taken in a vastly new direction - NT and Capcom would have you believe this excuses them for all the ridiculous decisions they've made. Dubbed "Donte" by skeptics, the main character has undergone rather a bizarre transformation. Where before we controlled a light-hearted half-human, half-demon devil slayer with a fondness for pizza, crazy action and adventure, now we're playing as a half-demon, half-angel potty mouth teenager. Is he a badly designed character? A well designed character? That is by and large, a matter of opinion, and I do not find him to my tastes. He is written poorly and his goals are nonsensical, as is his motivation - which seems to primarily exist in the form of a throw-away female who has questionable relationships with squirrels.

Unfortunately, Tony Redgrave isn't the only one hit by the re-design hammer. His brother, Vergil - now dubbed as Vorgil or Vergul or the like, was once a power hungry half-demon, driven to this by his failure to protect his beloved mother. Now? He's rather like Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta. Only poorly acted, with with a fixation for acting like "Anonymous". Once he hated human firearms, but in DmC, the katana wielder uses a military grade rifle to shoot a pregnant demon hostage in the womb - and after giving her enough time to realise that he's just given her a rather swift abortion, pops her in the head. His brother later brags about this to the demonic 'father' figure.

That leads us nicely into the plot of DmC. There's not really much to say - seen the movie, They Live? It's more or less that. Mundus is controlling humans and blue isn't very happy about that, and he requires the help of his brother red to assist him. What follows is 5-6 hours of running about, swearing like demented teenagers and predictable plot-threads with no semblance of a character arc. Indeed, rather than an arc, the characters simply transition from one perspective to the other, in a completely illogical manner. But none of that is really important. Story, writing, characters, dialogue - inconsequential in a Devil May Cry game for the most part, excessive fluff that only adds to the package deal. So what about the core? What about the gameplay? Oh boy...
    I could complain about how I don't enjoy the gameplay in DmC, but that's all opinion and I'm sure you'd just disagree with me - I'll start off with some hard facts:
    DmC runs at half the framerate of DMC3 and DMC4
    DmC has 13 less moves than DMC3, and that's being generous. DmC has 8 weapons. DMC3 had 10. This is again being generous as many of the weapons in DmC act more like modifiers than actual new movesets.
    DmC has no styles, you could argue that the weapons have been rolled in with the styles. DMC3 had six styles. Some enemies in DmC are (seemingly) immune to certain weapons, forcing you to play in a specific way, whereas in prior games, you had more freedom.
    At the same time, many enemies in DmC can simply be stunlocked with a single attack with no hope of breaking free. There are many battles in the game that can be won by using one hand, one attack, and not even looking at the screen because there's (very poorly implemented) auto-aim and no lock-on.
    Those are facts that cannot be denied, but on the subject of opinion? I find the game to be a boring button masher with no depth, there's no room for creativity and I didn't die a single time during my time spent playing (up to and including Son of Sparda) In every way, shape and form, this is a downgrade from previous games in the series. Taking a different path doesn't excuse it for being inferior to prior games in every area. What about the visual presentation? This is perhaps the game's strongest point. When I say presentation, I don't mean performance - DMC4 ran at a solid 60FPS and rarely seemed to dip below that, even in the most elaborate and grand of battles. DmC runs at 30FPS max, and often dips as low as 15 if not lower, seeming to average out at around 20-25. I didn't experience any hard-crashes, but did run into a number of stupid glitches that seem like they shouldn't exist in a game with this high a budget.
    Visually, the game has some nice touches.

The way that Limbo shifts about is a pleasant effect, if not mind-blowing, and whilst the characters designs are not to my tastes, at least some of the assets are of high quality. It's just a shame that you can't say the same about the gameplay, the writing, the story and so on. The character of Donte simply isn't one I wanted to root for, he had no redeeming features and was thoroughly unlikable.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. Buy the DMC HD collection if you want some proper Devil May Cry. Already beat it? Try Anarchy Reigns, or Bayonetta, or Vanquish, or Metal Gear Rising.
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Where to start with this game, my main problem is that the combat is poorly done with bad mechanics. Many people here have said it better than me before, but its sluggish and repeatative.
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Besides that the story is juvenile and unoriginal, and the abortion scene is both ugly and stupid.... such a scene would be okay if we actually got any reason to care, but its just for shock effect.
    Characters are all unlikeable and i find myself hoping they all die by the end.... I Would not recommend this game, and am ashamed of myself for defending and buying it... rent it first to see for yourself or something.. dont pay
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I really want a true sequel to the old ones, rather than a reboot. Why isnt this an official prequel, rather than a parralel universe? Really disapointing story and universe, while it is an ok game. Dont buy it.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is a reboot right?
    So, here is a big question: Why reboot?
    Reboot are usually used when the universe is **** beyond recognition and you have a bunch of plot-holes and stuff you just can't get rid of. So why did they reboot DMC, a great series? For nothing that's why. And not only did they reboot it, they also picked the worst design choices i have ever seen. Trading DMC
    This game is a reboot right?
    So, here is a big question: Why reboot?

And not only did they reboot it, they also picked the worst design choices i have ever seen. Trading DMC beautiful worlds for a "hur dur dark n gritty with evul rich peepl" where **** YOU is written all over the walls and a protagonist which only methods of discussing are saying NO U and hostaging dead babies with Ken(Barbie) for a partner? Real smooth move NT.

Not only were the visuals and story throw into the trash but the gameplay too. Now you can get an SSS pressing X three times. How fun!

Anyway, this game is so bad, they will need ANOTHER reboot after it, just to clean it out of the DMC name, which it's not worth of. That is, if NT and crapcom are still alive after this.
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    Forget the old games, DmC: Devil May Cry fails on it's own merit. With an incredibly low skill requirement, combat system that restricts experimentation through "color-coded" enemies, painful platforming, and frustrating controls, there's little to like about this game. While the levels look great, they are as linear as can be and "secret" areas are ham-fistedly obvious with the onlyForget the old games, DmC: Devil May Cry fails on it's own merit. With an incredibly low skill requirement, combat system that restricts experimentation through "color-coded" enemies, painful platforming, and frustrating controls, there's little to like about this game. While the levels look great, they are as linear as can be and "secret" areas are ham-fistedly obvious with the only challenge being whether or not Dante will choose to grapple correctly or fall to his death. Enemies are passive and lack any real originality, save for a few decent enemy types. The game performs terribly and framerate drops are common and obvious. While the game manages to be relatively bug-free, a few glaring examples still exist such as Dante's ability to jump all the way to the sky box using his occasionally trusty grappling hook. Complaints about the story alone could fill a review several times over but it is the actual gameplay mechanics that make Ninja Theory's latest attempt at success fall flat on its face. Expand
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    Bad Framerate , Bad Voiceacting , Bad Writing , Bad Ending , Bad Game mechanics .
    Do not trust Smoshgames or any untrustworthy site (IGN *Cough*) .
    Crapcom , get your **** together.. start making games the good old way and stop giving your franchise to artist wannabes.
  26. Jan 18, 2013
    There are valid reasons for the toxic rating of this review. Put simply, this is a blight on the DMC franchise, despite having strengths as a generic game.

The first and most resounding thing that can be said about this game is that it has sent the Devil May Cry series backwards. Having just finished DMD mode, I feel can say this fairly. The gameplay is strong and consistent, but far weaker than previous games. It lacks refinement, clarity and most of all, precision. These are some of the factors that had previous defined Devil May Cry in the gaming world. The game's arsenal is varied and the Angel ideas are fresh and invigorate the game, but because they exist as mirror images to most of the Demon arsenal, they lose some of their originality, which is a great shame. One factor that must be praised is that, at times, the level design is phenomenal, with enormous sweeping levels and backdrops that can leave you in awe. This success cannot be overlooked. As the game runs on, certain aspects become increasingly more prominent, especially one - that the game is trying too hard. Trying to be provocative, trying to be relevant to modern times, trying to make its mark on the Devil May Cry franchise. This is perhaps the games biggest downfall, at times utterly spoiling an otherwise enjoyable game. You only have to get as far as the Succubus boss fight to understand where the game is going. Dante repeatedly talks to himself, crudely pointing out the obvious and spoiling the narrative. The language from the cast generally is repulsive. Dante was always rude and arrogant, but he expressed it in forgivable ways. This new Dante does not, having a severly lacking vocabulary and a child's mind, flawing the character and the story. I will avoid judgement on some characters because they have been built from the ground up. However, for Virgil, an existing character, the failure is unforgivable. One of the most original characters ever created in a video game is confined, limited and reduced. This is not the Virgil you know. As Virgil is intended to mirror Dante, so does the criticism. I will avoid my opinion on the new Dante design, but certain things must be said. The realisation of the design is poorly executed with this badly composed in-game model. Although this is a graphical complain, it is rather embarrassing for NT after going to such lengths to create a new Dante and Virgil, then failing to be able to convey their ideas. If this were a new IP, then perhaps I'd be more favorable, but this is a Devil May Cry game and it has a lot to live up to. The graphics fail to match the previous DMC installment, despite it's relative old age. The use of Unreal Engine instead of MS Framework is highly questionable. Another comment is that the political and ethical background to this story is fundamentally flawed by the extremely crude and foul nature of characters on both sides. It only exists to mask the mediocre main story line. I intended to keep this review short, so in conclusion i will say this: The game succeeds in many aspects and the hard work is clear to see, however it let's itself down too many times in trying to match high octane popular culture and come across as "edgy" and "modern", of which is fails in each given attempt. I consider this a blight on an otherwise stylish franchise. My one final message is that I hope and pray that Capcom will take back Devil May Cry and send it back in the right direction.
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is made with one person, spit in your face in as many ways as possible, and it does just that, that characters are juvenile and unlikable, they alienate old fans with insults to the characters they replaced, as well as having awful dialogue and committing horrible acts (shooting a pregnant woman and taunting the father). The gameplay is sub par, the controls are clunky and theThe game is made with one person, spit in your face in as many ways as possible, and it does just that, that characters are juvenile and unlikable, they alienate old fans with insults to the characters they replaced, as well as having awful dialogue and committing horrible acts (shooting a pregnant woman and taunting the father). The gameplay is sub par, the controls are clunky and the style rating is pointless, giving you a perfect style rating despite you having done nothing stylish. The difficulty is not existent aside form the awful controls, enemies have very few attacks, are stunned by everything, and kindly wait 5 seconds after alerting you to the face they're going to attack before doing so. The art style is ok in parts, but at the start and towards the end becomes rather dull. Oh and one of the protagonists uses squirrel semen, this is canon and affirmed in the dialogue. The game leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and nothing more. Expand
  28. Jan 20, 2013
    This game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ). And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that inThis game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ). And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that in the first 20 min u only want to kill him and his new partner is so weak that u cant just buy the rest of the history. Congrats capcom you kill another great game you **** resident evil and now you are coming for Devil May Cry Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    I can't believe i paid 60 dollars for this piece of garbage. Playing this game on Dante must die mode was about as hard as DMC 4 on Easy. I play games to be challenged not to hold my hand. I could have forgiven this, only if the story wasn't such a predictable bore.
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry was a very niche franchise with loyal, die hard fans, DMC3 is critically acclaimed and may probably be the BEST action game ever to grace console and PC so far, so when DMC4 came out we were all expecting much more and because of Capcoms failings to live up to fan expectation we now have this reboot.

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong way, certain things are expected from a DMC game and have been reportedly lacking in the reboot, DMC was never about accessibility, it was challenging and offered layers of depth for those who mastered the complex combat system, having only spent a single play through of both sections of the demo I cant say to much with certainty, but I found the combat lacking in depth, fluidity and style, racking up an SSS rank was a challenge but its so easy now I feel like its lost its meaning.

With almost no chance of seeing a return of the former franchise, all the questions are left unanswered and no ending or closure may ever be given, it's really not hard to understand why fans are upset Capcom. =/

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.