5.0

1. Jan 15, 2013
    It's hard to start on this game. The story is insipid, it's very juvenile and hamfisted in its presentation and it shamelessly takes from the film They Live. You shouldn't expect to be enriched by it.

But the game's worst part is that it's gameplay is just.. mediocre. It's slow, clunky enemies are unmemorable and bosses are very poorly done. Instead of using insane combos and quick

Instead of using insane combos and quick reaction to defeat the bosses, it's mostly just dodge their one big swipe attack and then use some platforming gimmick to make them weak. It's something I'd expect from a Legend of Zelda boss. The combat at it's core, is well. Mediocre. It's a clear downgrade from previous games but on it's own it's playable. It's just nothing special. Devil May Cry had some potential, but it's developers didn't have the competency to carry it out.
  2. Jan 20, 2013
    Donte the franchise killer. Take the gameplay from Heavenly Sword, the plot from an emo reimagining of They live, and slap Devil May Cry's name on it.
  3. Jan 19, 2013
    first thing first.... gaming journalist are big fat liars and are calling us fanboys and "you are all about the hair" that we are haters and so on...
    and the ratings... people those "official rating" are too hight and came out all at THE SAME TIME... and all of them are refferring to us like "haters" "fanboys" "afraid of change" even "stupid" or "terrorists"
    gee, thanks. never knew

gee, thanks. never knew was a crime to not like a reboot too much different from the main series now i know... thanks... i will turn myself in cause i'm a terrorist not liking a game

LIES!!!!!

it's not about the hairs it never was.... it was the feel of the game, this game both story and gameplay do not belong in the devil may cry series...

the story is a rip off of an old movie "they live" check it out if you don't believe me.
    the mechanics and gameplay are clunky and does'nt fel right for a dmc game, it's a lot more like dante's inferno(the whip mechanics are too much similar), i could'nt get SSS rating at the other games so easly ...this time the first time i played i got it without even trying. the combat is not deep is easy and clunky you can master it in less tha an hour of game
    new dante doesn't feel right, he's a bad character who say bad words and bang strippers, the enemies are most like ripped off dante's inferno again but some adding like chainsaw and old shaving tools attached on their arms... most of them wanna make me puke. we have a sex demon scene who made almost puke, the "limbo thing" is ripped off bayonetta's "purgatory" and most of the background looks like bayonetta's background who had stripped on dante's inferno enemies
    AAAAH oh my god the music... this music is so horrible it gave me an headache lightning fast (especially the dubstep music)

I gotta say... it's not a bad or awful game, it's a decent game. it's just not a proper devil may cry who want to be it but it fails... but the horrible fact is that the gaming journalist are ling about it
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    I honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** TheI honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** The story is tasteless and everything has been done before. The voice acting is.. okay. There are moments where when something happens that should be an "OH MY GOD HOLY **** type of thing, but all you get out of the new Dante is "Ohh nooooo." And that's not just the writer trying to make him seem like he doesn't care, as the subtitles say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Clearly indicating that he was meaning to put some actual feeling into it. The gameplay, while more accessible, isn't deep at all. It's kinda fun for the first 3.5/4 hours (half the game, so maybe not that bad) but even then there's not really much you can do. The scythe is a weapon that doesn't kill **** where the axe is a weapon where when you hit something twice you kill them and then a SS ranking for doing so. Everything combat related gets boring and tedious halfway through. You start fighting enemies that limit what you can do to them because only doing one thing will really hurt them. Bosses.. oh god the bosses. Only one of them was even remotely fun to fight. The rest where just a bunch of "do the same thing 10 times oh look now i am dead"

The music is actually pretty well done. I'm not a fan of the metal-type music in this, but the music Noisia did is quite nice. It fits the game well and just sounds nice on it's own.

Now on to graphics. The levels, the way they look and how they play, are pretty much the best thing about the game. I honestly stopped to look around in some of the environments. The combat would look neat, trying to give the feel that I was doing something cool, but it didn't actually feel like it at all. Also, the facial animations are.. not so well done. Half the time I would burst out laughing because of some of the faces people would make in the game. I'm pretty sure they where all unintentionally funny, which is the sad part.

Replayability is there if you like to collect crap, but the game is so easy, even on Sparta Must Die, that it's not really worth it for challenge's sake.

All in all, 5/10. Buy it if you like short, mediocre hack n slash games. If you're interested in it, just wait a bit to pick it up for $20. That's about how much it's worth.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    NT's latest reboot of DmC franchise is exactly what gamers should hate gaming right now. It depicts how casualized gaming has become,, so it can appeal to the broader audience. Sure, the argument against it is, hey, Capcom wants to make money, so of course the right thing to do is to appeal to the biggest demographic there is, which is apparently 12 years old kids spouting memes and swearNT's latest reboot of DmC franchise is exactly what gamers should hate gaming right now. It depicts how casualized gaming has become,, so it can appeal to the broader audience. Sure, the argument against it is, hey, Capcom wants to make money, so of course the right thing to do is to appeal to the biggest demographic there is, which is apparently 12 years old kids spouting memes and swear words on XBL. So really, if you are a fan of DmC franchise, this game is not targeted at you. Expand
  6. Jan 19, 2013
    An average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of theAn average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of the experience rather than adding to it. Glitches galore, exploit them at your leisure. I gave it a 5 because the combat can be fun if you're using most of your brain for something else and some of the visuals. Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    It is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you canIt is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you can infinitely juggle an enemy in the air with the angel and demon grabs, not to mention that you get SSS almost immediately from any attack, and that the game lacks the lock on system necessary to aim attacks at enemies. The music tends to be obnoxious as well but thats subjective.
    However, while the story and gameplay are mediocre at best, it is still fun to hack and slash a bunch of demons, so its still earns itself some points
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good: While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good:

While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was not DLC.

While the platforming is rather shallow, it does manage to show off the very impressive environments. The music seems to be fitting for the game style, and while not really my style, it never seemed to bother me too much.

The bad: Overall, the game is too easy even on higher difficulties, I found myself sustaining 0 damage on some of the bosses, SSS style ranking by repeating two combos over and over, only one if I managed to land it after a demon evade. surprisingly, a normal foe, a dual sword wielding enemy managed to be more challenging than every single boss in the game.

Out of 5 melee weapons the game provides, 2 of them manage to be rather useless, since the remaining three cover all your needs, I am talking about Rebellion, Arbiter and Aquila. This also happens with firearms, going from useless, to useful, to broken. You could say those weapons are there to give variety, you would be wrong, and I explain why next ...

Color coding, apparently the combat designer felt the best way to show off the move set was not letting you use it, you come across these color coded enemies as the game gets "harder", that can only be damaged by either a demon weapon or an angel one, the moveset on Aquila (angel) and (Arbiter) are very superior than your other options, so is their damage output, which you need since these enemies have lots of health, there goes variety.

The frame rate drops a lot to 20 fps (the old ones were 60 solid), especially towards the end when even cut-scenes suffer from it, in the very few scenes where the heavy handed red/orange/blue filter goes away, the city starts showing the unreal engine, everything looks grey with lots of bloom, with PS2 like textures and geometry.

The chief designer claims that this will elevate storytelling in games to the level of film and theatre ....

The old games were 80s B action movie cheesy, the dialog and story on this one were soap opera bad, if they made soap operas for edgy 14 year old boys and men during midlife crisis, I never knew sex scenes and profanity could be badly written until now, it´s full of shock value, no substance at all. Felt like watching The Hangover again, like an unfunny episode of Family Guy, I mean there was an abortion by sniper rifle. When the game takes itself serious it fails miserably at it too, taking a boss from Futurama character motivations from They Live and Stars Wars prequels. They removed taunting because it felt unrealistic, and yet the they show demon bosses being killed by a single bullet on a cutscene when previous game play shows those same bosses barely damaged by 400 bullets each. they also show the main antagonist, a super smart boy prodigy blabbing his master plan,in front of the wrong people at the wrong time, the worst possible way, to justify the last battle, which is is copy pasted from DMC3, only much slower.

The game is fun, looks and sounds good too. I got some eye candy, I got shallow but serviceable platforming, and for combat I got 75% old DMC, 10% Dark Sector and 15% Heavenly Sword. .......

This confused me, because when Ninja Theory said they were making it their own, I expected the combat to drastically change, for better or worse, I expected them to walk a different path, and yet it seems they walked the same one, only they gave up half way and called it a day, this made me feel the reboot was rather pointless, unless you really really like dubstep .......
  9. Jan 26, 2013
    I have beaten both DMC1 and DMC3 (the original!) on Donte Must Die mode. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden SIgma on master ninja mode. God hand, Bayonetta, all owned and conquered. These games are all highly skill based difficulty, not cheap. I say this to let you know where I come from. DmC deserves a place in their hierarchy.
    1. Lets talk about FUN. The game is fun! The combo's are
    1. Lets talk about FUN. The game is fun! The combo's are not button mashers, each weapon is designed for a specific purpose, and yet, one can still find unique combinations for excellent demon slaying. Weapons are not only for damage, but excellent crowd control tactics as well. Its excellent and accessible. Accessible does NOT mean easy. Do not judge the game's difficulty on its nephilim mode. I would consider this "normal mode" Most of your negative critics here are judging it on that. The difficulty of the game is about your skill, not cheap enemy moves. The next difficulty mode, Sons of Sparda, speeds up enemy reaction time, aggresiveness, and begins to combine the enemies in new ways. 2. Enemies are a joy to face btw. There's nothing as good as the cats from DMC1, but the enemies are mostly varied, have a weakness to exploit, well animated, and entertaining to fight. While there aren't many bosses, they are entertaining in their own right, and I can see them becoming much more difficult as the difficulty raises. Hell and Hell mode, where Donte dies in one hit, (without using super Donte) may go down as one of the crowning achievements a gamer can accomplish. 3. The game's platforming is a little to be desired. Its repeated a little too often, and is dodgy on "swing" detection" at times. Still, its nothing horrible. As for the story, WHO CARES. Its a game, and a DMC game at that. The story has always been crap. This one isn't really that bad either. You'll watch it on your first playthrough, then skip it as you begin to tackle the real challenge the game has to offer on higher difficulty.
    TLDR If you like fun, accessible, skill based action games that have varrying difficulty for all types of players, GO GET IT NOW.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    Where to start with this awful game...

Struggles to maintain 30 FPS when DMC 3 and DMC 4 maintained 60 FPS; this means DmC can rarely handle more than 4 enemies on screen. Cutscenes tend to have issues with noticeable FPS drops Characters are unlikable. Donte is a prick that acts like trailer trash, Vorgil kills a defenseless woman, and Kat is just a plot device. After Vorgil kills
    Where to start with this awful game...

Characters are unlikable. Donte is a prick that acts like trailer trash, Vorgil kills a defenseless woman, and Kat is just a plot device. After Vorgil kills Lilith and her baby, Donte mocks Mundus about it. I know that we're suppose to hate Mundus for being the 1%, but come the **** on; that's just heartless. How can NT sit there with a straight face and tell me that Donte and Vorgil are so much better people than Mundus?
    Game doesn't have any of the over-the-top cutscenes that became a big part of the action genre in DMC 3. Instead, Donte and Vorgil are edgy and abort fetuses.
    The dialogue is awful **** you, **** you, **** you).
    There are no more styles; only generic light, medium, and heavy stances. Welcome to Heavenly Sword 2.0.
    Style meter is more-or-less a damage meter now. You don't have to mix up your combos. Just keep hitting them with Arbiter.
    Demon Dodge + Arbiter gives you an easy SSS (S rank alone should never be easy in DMC, otherwise where's the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment?)
    The plot is awful. It's a rip-off of They Live and poorly done at that. After Mundus dies, the hellgate opens and demons pour out. I guess Donte and Vorgil don't seem to care that countless humans will likely die because now demons are running wild through the world. Donte fights Vorgil because Vorgil wants to rule humans, but Donte refuses to kill him because he'd be worse than Vorgil or some **** like that. The plot doesn't make sense.
    Gameplay is watered-down. Each weapon has significantly less combos than in DMC 3 or DMC 4. There's a dedicated launch button now instead of the class lock-on button+hold back+B or Square. The game has two dodge buttons; two dodge buttons is a waste.
    There's no lock-on. What does the game honestly gain by losing the lock-on button to focus on the specific enemy you want to attack?

The game is just one deeply offensive insult to DMC fans. Don't listen to the gaming "journalists" that antagonize and troll DMC fans over this; this game is absolute garbage. We've known that it's garbage from a design perspective for years and the demo confirmed that the gameplay is a trainwreck, but it still receives 9s and 8s. Do yourself a favor and buy anything else. DMC HD Collection and DMC 4 cost less than DmC and are much better. You can buy Bayonetta and that game is much better. You can wait next month for MGR.
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    To begin with, i think it's rediculous that paid-reviewers are giving this game scores in the 90s and above. When i say paid reviewers, that can be taken in two ways, either they are paid as a job to review games professionally, or Capcom has bribed them to just give 8/9 out of 10 as a rule, no matter how much of a train wreck it is. This is one of those games.

To begin with, when

To begin with, when you're making a reboot of a series, be it a movie, or a video game, or any piece of media, it helps to check what came before, as a guide-post to show you what was worth keeping, and what needed to be fixed. The Batman series did this, Nolan looked at what was good about the old batman movies, and what went wrong, he kept the dark under-tones, the gadgets, the focus on action. But dropped the campy 60s vibe, and the over-the-top villain designs.

DmC has done half of this. They set out to re-model the old Dante, who, as far as i know wasn't really the reason the game series was worse. But fair enough, they re-modeled him, into a foul mouthed brat basically, a far different affair to the camp, humourous, over-the-top Dante we used to have. The new Dante swears every other sentence, and is quite happy to let his brother kill babies and pregnant women, not really hero material, i know, not even anti-hero material. But giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the old one needed the reboot, fine, we'll ignore this, the thing Ninja theory have focused on as 'the sole reason DmC is controvercial', was the dante overhall.

Problem is, Devil May Cry, has only ever been on the very surface of it, a game about visuals, story, and Dante. The core of the game is it's game-play, games are supposed to be played, not watched. Old Devil May Cry was known for it's challenge, it's fluid and perfect combat system. The new DmC has taken absolutely nothing from the old series staple game-play system, it has the rankings of D-C-B-A-S etc. But it no longer has styles, and you are dropped to a bare minimum of weapons. The gameplay is effectively lifted from Ninja Theory's past failed game, heavenly sword. There is no lock on, you're trapped with 3 very boring, standard weapons. And in total, the game has a lifespan that lasts about one sitting. It isn't very difficult, whatsoever, even on it's harder modes.

All in all, the game is as bad as the negative hype built it to be. I was hoping that the game would just get past the basic negative hype of 'Dante looks different, boo!' and have a solid action game underneath with a decent story. Instead, it's built on that negativity, even the core gameplay is missing. Either way, Devil May Cry as a series is done for, if this game sells well, there'll be another, and the old series will be replaced. If this game fails, we won't see another game for many years.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reductionI'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reduction in the number of maneuvers possible. I hope they try to raise the bar with the combat in the inevitable sequel. Its certainly BETTER than what was in the demo, but thats not saying much. Its also better than NT's previous titles by a large margin so good on them. Heck I'd say its even better than God of War. But it absolutely does NOT deserve the Devil May Cry name. Those are massive boots to fill. MASSIVE. DMC started the 3D action genre in 2001. Its the only reason there was a market for **** games like Heavenly Sword. If you want to be the next DMC developer, you have to focus on the combat. Do whatever you want with the character design and story - I really don't care at the end of the day so long as the combat is world-class like previous titles. What we got instead was a generic light-heavy system that has plagued the genre for years due to mediocre game design and incompetent game developers. Expand
  13. Jan 16, 2013
    Boring cutscene:
    Casual final boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhofW4tFPo
    Auto lock issue:
  14. Jan 16, 2013
    ....do I even need to explain how HORRIBLE this game is?
    The story is horrible,
    The Final Boss battle was a disappointment, Crapcom and Ninja Theory being **** The graphics are par at best, and [Most of] the characters in DmC are unlikable. However, the only characters that took my interest were Kat and Phineas, everyone else were either Sadistic or plain uninteresting. The Gameplay
    ....do I even need to explain how HORRIBLE this game is?
    The story is horrible,
    The Final Boss battle was a disappointment,
    Crapcom and Ninja Theory being ****
    The graphics are par at best,
    and [Most of] the characters in DmC are unlikable.
    The Gameplay is HORRIBLE, why the F*** is there no manual lock-on function to perform better, more agile, combos with your weapon set? And why did they use the Unreal Engine instead of a MT Framework system? Makes no god-damn sense.
    superninjatam and alex jones insulting the original DMC fanbase, these so-called "reviewers" being bribed to PRAISE THE LIVING S*** out of this game, and insulting us even further by adding a Easter Egg of DINO looking at a mirror with Original Dante's wig during the 1st mission while DINO goes on and says, "not in a million years" before throwing it to the ground.
    ...To be honest, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance, which will be release next month, feels more like a Devil May Cry game than this piece of F****** S***.
    I'm glad I've listen to my wallet, my peeps, and Main Event about this atrocious game.
    Saved $60+
    ...One more thing, you'll have to wait next month for Vergil's Downfall to be released for those who bought this damn game.
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    While many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everythingWhile many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everything right while they clearly have not. Expand
  16. Jan 17, 2013
    Well, I finished this game in only a few hours and was heavily disappointed. I made sure not to listen to any fans bashing the game because it wasn't the same as the originals just so I could observe it for myself and as a standalone game; not an entry into the series.

I'm okay with swearing, but the characters were swearing and using sexual imagery constantly, it was completely juvenile. The story was extremely boring, just a simple "we are special because of x so this means we are the only ones who can kill y". The gameplay was also very repetitive with bosses that would take one swing every few minutes and let you wail on them forever until you dodge their next move, it was disgustingly easy even on the highest difficulty.

Do not buy this game, if you want to play it then just buy it second hand but don't expect anything good.
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    The game is a complete train wreak. Absolute garbage from beginning to end. The characters are idiotic, the writing is cheesy, the gameplay is slow and boring, and the framerate is locked at 30 fps. I had more fun unclogging my toilet than playing this game.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a genericOh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a generic rebellious, "Occupy Wall Street", da-corporashuns-ar-evul teenage anarchist and his quest to destroy the evil not-Fox-News.

On the visual end, it's passable for a game designed to run on ancient hardware. There are noticeable frame rate drops and the performance is often shaky at best, but the general appearance of the world is interesting to a fault. The actual design of the levels however, is not. It's very straightforward and boring, with little variance in what you actually have to do.

Ultimately, the game will leave long standing fans upset and disappointed, and newcomers confused and disgusted. Pass on it.
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 3/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    It's almost as bad as predicted. The combat can be fun, however everything else is like a middle finger to the fans of the series with bad writing(even for Devil May Cry), awful story, uninteresting characters, and little challenge.
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a bad game.

This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're fighting EVIL DEMON BILL O 'REILLY head, they have to make him yell DO IT LIVE, in case you hadn't caught on to the fact that it was bill o reilly.

The only good part of the story is the interaction between Dante and Vergil, which hilariously is ruined by the ending, because Ninja Theory had to have a sequel hook. Oh, and the final boss fight occurs for literally no reason whatsoever.

The Combat is bad. Slow, plodding, and boring. No Lock-On limits options. Enemies requiring specific weapons limits options. The ability to fly forever as long as you have an enemy to beat on makes the game pathetically easy. The weapons are all either useless or overpowered. Certain enemies are a chore to fight because they only take damage from the weakest weapons and everything has too much health, especially on higher difficulties.

No Replayability. Replayability in previous DMC games and games like Ninja Gaiden come from the grading system. You replay levels to get a high score, or on a harder difficulty because traditionally games like this have NOT had gradient difficulty. In Devil May Cry games before this one, increasing the difficulty made enemies behave differently, sometimes radically so. In DmC it just gives them much more health, and slightly increases the damage they do.

The style system is utterly broken. It's based on damage rather than variety, allowing players to button mash their way into a perfect rank. It never degrades unless hit, a vast departure from previous games. The 'Completition' score, which is based on how many secrets you find, locks when you find everything, so you never have to collect them again on subsequent playthroughs of the level. This allows players to cheese the grading system by collecting everything on one run, and then jetting through the level as quickly as possible on another to get the best time ranking. Perfect scores in other games are testaments to your skill. In DmC they are testaments to having 20 minutes to burn.

No interesting bossfights beyond the final one, which is a watered down version of the encounter at the end of Devil May Cry 3.

In summary, DmC: Devil May Cry, is bad. It has bad writing, bad gameplay, bad grading, bad bosses, and no replayability. Don't buy it. Don't even rent it.
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hardI came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hard lock-on means you will be constantly attacking enemies you did not want to attack and your move set is much smaller than previous games. The styles meter is now damage based, which means you can spam the same move over and over to reach SSS rank. Finally series staples much as taunting and styles have been removed. Everything they have done to this game is a step back from previous games, every previous Devil May Cry game has added features and built upon previous games, while this game removes features and adds nothing of value.

TLDR: The game is a piece of garbage that's worse than Devil May Cry 2 save yourself $60 and don't buy it.
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is an insult to everyone that's a fan of the older DMC games. Protagonist is an edgy teenager pandering to 15 year olds that can't swear in front of their mommies or they won't get dessert after dinner, style meter was completely destroyed, runs at 30 FPS, has no lock-in button and most weapons are useless if you can just axe people to death, horrible soundtrack. Gave it a 1This game is an insult to everyone that's a fan of the older DMC games. Protagonist is an edgy teenager pandering to 15 year olds that can't swear in front of their mommies or they won't get dessert after dinner, style meter was completely destroyed, runs at 30 FPS, has no lock-in button and most weapons are useless if you can just axe people to death, horrible soundtrack. Gave it a 1 cause it has nice visuals sometimes. Expand
  24. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little toThe people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    The big problem of this game is the name, because comparison with the previous DMC is inevitable. The first mission is good, but just the first mission. The game doesn´t give you something new to the genre. The combat is boring and repetitive and doesn´t give the depth We all feel in DMC 3 and 4. Story is horrendous and some scenes are disgusting (Tameem has a problem withThe big problem of this game is the name, because comparison with the previous DMC is inevitable. The first mission is good, but just the first mission. The game doesn´t give you something new to the genre. The combat is boring and repetitive and doesn´t give the depth We all feel in DMC 3 and 4. Story is horrendous and some scenes are disgusting (Tameem has a problem with women?). I don´t have problem with changes, but this is just a completely different game with the DMC name on it, just to sell copies. And the worse is all the hate that caused. I can´t believe jornalist can support companies like Ninja Theory. Sorry but this is the first time I can´t recommend a Devil May Cry and it´s sad because it was a great franchise. :( Expand
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    Starting with gameplay:
    -Undeniably laughable difficulty, this is an objective fact. You cannot maintain the stance that DMC's even hardest difficulties pose a challenge and claim to be a 'gamer'
    Starting with gameplay:
    -the Style system, subjectively the most important piece of the Devil May Cry formula has been hideously disemboweled in this title. There are barely penalties for spamming the same move, combos can now break through more than one grade, and gaining ranks is child's play. Don't try and claim that this makes it more accessable in a positive way, because the Style system is the most fun and rewarding aspects of Devil May Cry, and this new system replaces building a balsa model with playing with Duplex. See /watch?v=BNyNX0jY7aA before you reply
    -Canceling has been ruined under the new system. Although in previous games the jump-cancel has never been identical, the new system promotes either ignoring the feature of jump-canceling or the explotation of jump-canceling to gain higher combos unfairly.
    -Elimination of lock-on system makes manipulation of direction attacks a thing of the past, and creates a stronger focus on mashing on the enemy in front of you as opposed to using the 3 different lock-on systems to quickly engage a new foe. Basically, this allows people with low brain power to play the game without having to plan out their attacks.

Character design:
    For a full explanation of why Donte is terribly written, please go to /watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc
    However, I will gladly sum up why Donte and the other Ninja Theory cartoon characters are terrible without mentioning the hair.
    -Vorgil, Donte's brother, is now an overly edgy and stupid looking caricature of his role in the past. For instance, in one scene, he purposely shoots a pregnant woman with a sniper rifle with the goal of keeping her alive and aborting the fetus. This is from the character who canonically would not use guns as they were dishonorable. And don't give me any bull about how this is only offending me, as i've seen far worse things handled in far more mature ways. Ninja Theory's only goal here was to be as anti-confirmatory as possible, which they succeeded in in an unintentionally hilarious way.
    -Kat, the main Donte-Gal, uses magic squirrel semen to do magic. To quote the article, "Ninja Theory has kept its sense of humour." Hilarious, right?
    -Donte is a whiny spoiled brat. Watch the video above, seriously. Watch it. This is coming from the goofy, lovable, and overall kindhearted Dante of Devil May Cry. I don't know who could possible prefer the rebooted character over Dante, excluding mallgoths who shop at hot topic Dialogue
    -"F**K YOU' "F**K YOU" "F**K YOU"
    -"I've got a bigger dick"
    -"I am Mundus, the Demon King"
    This game seems like it was written by children, for children.
  27. Jan 17, 2013
    Everything as been said about this joke of a game. Yeah there a few good artistic-wise but it doesn't make up for the rest. Avoid it unless you get it for 10$.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    This is one of those games that went from having a deep, complex, and challenging battle system to a game where you press X to win. There is like 1 or 2 combos that you'll use throughout the game and not even come close to needing any of the others. Not to mention the terrible voice acting, asinine plot, and watered down art design to cater to all the new gen console babies. I returnedThis is one of those games that went from having a deep, complex, and challenging battle system to a game where you press X to win. There is like 1 or 2 combos that you'll use throughout the game and not even come close to needing any of the others. Not to mention the terrible voice acting, asinine plot, and watered down art design to cater to all the new gen console babies. I returned this game day one, I had to resort to lying about how the game with scratched and wouldn't play. Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? How about with the complaint that Ninja Theory and Capcom are brushing aside? This is the new entry in a decade long franchise, but has been taken in a vastly new direction - NT and Capcom would have you believe this excuses them for all the ridiculous decisions they've made. Dubbed "Donte" by skeptics, the main character has undergone rather a bizarre transformation. Where before we controlled a light-hearted half-human, half-demon devil slayer with a fondness for pizza, crazy action and adventure, now we're playing as a half-demon, half-angel potty mouth teenager. Is he a badly designed character? A well designed character? That is by and large, a matter of opinion, and I do not find him to my tastes. He is written poorly and his goals are nonsensical, as is his motivation - which seems to primarily exist in the form of a throw-away female who has questionable relationships with squirrels.

Unfortunately, Tony Redgrave isn't the only one hit by the re-design hammer. His brother, Vergil - now dubbed as Vorgil or Vergul or the like, was once a power hungry half-demon, driven to this by his failure to protect his beloved mother. Now? He's rather like Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta. Only poorly acted, with with a fixation for acting like "Anonymous". Once he hated human firearms, but in DmC, the katana wielder uses a military grade rifle to shoot a pregnant demon hostage in the womb - and after giving her enough time to realise that he's just given her a rather swift abortion, pops her in the head. His brother later brags about this to the demonic 'father' figure.

That leads us nicely into the plot of DmC. There's not really much to say - seen the movie, They Live? It's more or less that. Mundus is controlling humans and blue isn't very happy about that, and he requires the help of his brother red to assist him. What follows is 5-6 hours of running about, swearing like demented teenagers and predictable plot-threads with no semblance of a character arc. Indeed, rather than an arc, the characters simply transition from one perspective to the other, in a completely illogical manner. But none of that is really important. Story, writing, characters, dialogue - inconsequential in a Devil May Cry game for the most part, excessive fluff that only adds to the package deal. So what about the core? What about the gameplay? Oh boy...
    I could complain about how I don't enjoy the gameplay in DmC, but that's all opinion and I'm sure you'd just disagree with me - I'll start off with some hard facts:
    DmC runs at half the framerate of DMC3 and DMC4
    DmC has 13 less moves than DMC3, and that's being generous. DmC has 8 weapons. DMC3 had 10. This is again being generous as many of the weapons in DmC act more like modifiers than actual new movesets.
    DmC has no styles, you could argue that the weapons have been rolled in with the styles. DMC3 had six styles. Some enemies in DmC are (seemingly) immune to certain weapons, forcing you to play in a specific way, whereas in prior games, you had more freedom.
    At the same time, many enemies in DmC can simply be stunlocked with a single attack with no hope of breaking free. There are many battles in the game that can be won by using one hand, one attack, and not even looking at the screen because there's (very poorly implemented) auto-aim and no lock-on.
    Those are facts that cannot be denied, but on the subject of opinion? I find the game to be a boring button masher with no depth, there's no room for creativity and I didn't die a single time during my time spent playing (up to and including Son of Sparda) In every way, shape and form, this is a downgrade from previous games in the series. Taking a different path doesn't excuse it for being inferior to prior games in every area. What about the visual presentation? This is perhaps the game's strongest point. When I say presentation, I don't mean performance - DMC4 ran at a solid 60FPS and rarely seemed to dip below that, even in the most elaborate and grand of battles. DmC runs at 30FPS max, and often dips as low as 15 if not lower, seeming to average out at around 20-25. I didn't experience any hard-crashes, but did run into a number of stupid glitches that seem like they shouldn't exist in a game with this high a budget.
    Visually, the game has some nice touches.

The way that Limbo shifts about is a pleasant effect, if not mind-blowing, and whilst the characters designs are not to my tastes, at least some of the assets are of high quality. It's just a shame that you can't say the same about the gameplay, the writing, the story and so on. The character of Donte simply isn't one I wanted to root for, he had no redeeming features and was thoroughly unlikable.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. Buy the DMC HD collection if you want some proper Devil May Cry. Already beat it? Try Anarchy Reigns, or Bayonetta, or Vanquish, or Metal Gear Rising.
  30. Jan 16, 2013
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Where to start with this game, my main problem is that the combat is poorly done with bad mechanics. Many people here have said it better than me before, but its sluggish and repeatative.
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Besides that the story is juvenile and unoriginal, and the abortion scene is both ugly and stupid.... such a scene would be okay if we actually got any reason to care, but its just for shock effect.
    Characters are all unlikeable and i find myself hoping they all die by the end.... I Would not recommend this game, and am ashamed of myself for defending and buying it... rent it first to see for yourself or something.. dont pay
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Before I go into the game, remember this took close to five years to be developed with an already established game engine.

Story: What can I say, it really just sounds like someone has issues with life. Dante is some guy living in a trailer who is brought in to help fight against the demons who secretly rule the world using mind controlling soft drinks. Besides the immature dialogue and the see through plot, the characters themselves have no redeeming points. Dante harasses the humans he's trying to protect and be's a jerk to everyone except the girl he likes. Vergil kills a child in the womb and allows the mother a moment to realise her child is dead before he kills her as well and laughs about it.
    These two are brothers and while the relationship is established during the game, it just feels forced and when they inevitably fight because of opposing opinions (Vergil offended Dante's girl) there's no feeling to it. Overall the story has stolen many ideas and concepts from other movies and games that executed them better.

The Gameplay is what the DMC franchise is known for. The lack of a lock on button means you'll be flailing around as the jittery camera spins during fights. The combos aren't as impressive as you think, in the old series tying your combos together helped gain a better score and allowed you easier means to beat your enemies. In this game, you can get a good score by either finding poorly hidden secrets (big red shiny door that glows) or by using a move with the axe that allows an instant SSS (highest style score). The bosses aren't challenging even on the highest difficulties. The poison fight was the most hilarious. When the boss does it's sweep attack, you can parry it which allows you to drag it down *cut scene* allowing you ten seconds to pummel it. Fair enough...except your attacks can finish it off within that ten seconds and then *cut scene*. Every boss is like this, one you find their weakness they are easily demolished. Worse yet, if you don't kill them in that ten seconds they rise and do the exact same attack again without fail allowing you over and over again if need be to pummel them without fear of being hit.
    Switching the weapons really feels pointless for starters when you gain an axe near the start of the game which does incredibly damage to everything. But you have to hold triggers down and tap the d-pad until you find the weapon you want and by then your rythem will be messed up. Oh yeah, style metres don't drop unless your hit, which would be a problem if the enemies attacked you. I waited fifteen seconds at one stage for one of them to attack me! Then when they attack they strike a pose, wait three seconds while their weapons flashes brightly signalling an attack, your given the option of choosing to use two evade buttons (they do the same thing) or jump out the way. Still, despite the combat, you'll be holding out for these moments as the rest of the seven hour game is filled with plat forming and jumping. Wouldn't mind this if the game wasn't a Hack 'n' Slash proclaimed to be the best of it's genre with great combat.
    The devil trigger feels to me like a slap in the face to the old fans. I didn't get involved in all the wars between the two fanbases, but why does a 'Devil' trigger make him get white hair and a Red coat? I thought that was the point of a reboot was to bring life into a franchise and to reinvigorate it, so they give you a button that makes the new Dante look like old Dante (despite him apparently being uncool, a loser, unfashionable)?
    He is half angel, half demon...why not just call it his 'Trigger' / 'Release' / 'Ascension' mode or something? Devil trigger implies he turns into a demon...

Sound and Audio is a meh. Personally I'm not into recorded human farts (I wish I was joking here) and little pops that represent gunfire. The sounds are lackluster but it's a damn sight better than the dialogue which consists of "F**K YOU!" - "YOU WH**E". I honestly wouldn't mind if this wasn't forced upon you and felt like it suited the game and the atmosphere but it just sounds juvenile.

Re-playability is really up to the user. Me? I won't be touching it again and will be dropping it off at my nearest game store. The secrets aren't really that good, the DLC just adds extra costumes (why they included a DMC 3 Dante outfit when they already have a Dante Trigger I don't know?) a game mode that all the others DMC games except the first had for free and a Vergil's downfall which is sort of a spoiler if you haven't already seen the entire game on Youtube or paid much attention to the games story (which I can't really condemn you for)

Overall I could have gone alot more into detail on this game on just how BAD it is. For years we've had journalists saying this is the best game ever, but this is just pathetic. Five years and this is it?. It may have the name Devil May Cry but it will never have it's light!

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.