5.0

1. Feb 6, 2013
    Let me start out by saying I loved DMC 1,3, and 4. But at the same time I will not pretend those were perfect games. The major set backs in my opinion of the older Devil May Cry's were the camera, the gameplay in-between combat segments and probably worst of all the F***ing music. Dear god the music... every time you engage in combat there is only one horrible Rob Zombie song that plays over and over and over till my head explodes. Don't get me wrong the music in the new DmC isn't a masterpiece but it is appropriately heavy and diverse. Further more the cutscenes/acting in the reboot is top notch, it has a ridiculously pulpy story, creative level design, well done difficulty settings, extremely familiar yet more dynamic combat, and most importantly is JUST FLAT OUT FUN. Although I did prefer the anime style of the older games, DmC (the reboot) is an overall more ambitious and better game. Look at the journalist review scores, the quality is there. When it comes to user reviews just remember, haters gonna hate. Expand
  2. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels.
    10/10.
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It is almost on par with arkham city for action, I would say maybe 3rd in my book for story (behind chrono trigger and the original bioshock as the ultimate #1), but the story is great. Things are pretty well spelled out after the first few levels, but with a good twist at the end. I feel like it could've been done a bit better, but it is still leaps and bounds above the story of most games. Next, let me get onto the combat. Honestly, if you are on the fence, play the demo. The combat system is fantastic. If I had one complaint, it's that the dodge system feels just a little bit lacking compared to bayonetta, but it is all in all incredible. Once you think you have a perfect combo mapped out and perfected, a thousand other viable options become available. By the time you finish the game, you can easily see that you've got your work cut out for you. There are weapons and attacks for every play style here. Finally, the visuals. Absolutely breathtaking. Limbo contains more than a few memorable set pieces, and I was truly impressed with what they could come up with. I will admit, when they first talked of a reboot to devil may cry, I was a bit pissed. It looked like it was going to be a steaming pile of $&*%, but I am very happy to admit I was completely wrong. I have only played devil may cry 4, but from what I'm told, this is easily the best entry in the series. I can't recommend this game highly enough. Forget the 12 year olds on metacritic, this is a must buy. I'm a huge dead space and bioshock fan but I don't think I will be picking those games up until well after release because there is such a ridiculous amount of playback value in this game. Try the demo, if you like it, you will love the game. Trust me on this one Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2013
    Great game, good story and excellent combat. Don't believe the "fan's" negative reviews, but try it and you will be not disappointed. Trust me, i did the same and has 70 hours gameplay now.
  5. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  6. Jan 18, 2013
    User score is just plain insulting and undeserved for this game. 99% probably havent played the game at all or given it a fair chance. This game is solid on all areas, and deserves a fair score.
  7. Jan 26, 2013
    Love this game. Having played and still owning almost all the DMC's up to this point I really dont understand how anyone who has played DMC could not love this new DMC reboot. I love everything about the game and not I'm not just saying that. I didnt really like DMC4 very much, but this reboot of DMC is just truly amazing. The graphics are awesome, I love the new Dante look and for all those trolling and crying about the new look why dont you just use the original Dante skin and stop crying because that is the dumbest reason to not like or give a game a bad rating I mean damn it came with 4 more optional skins. If you have ever liked any Devil May Cry or Darksiders I or II or any other big name hack and slash then you will be glad you got this game. and to be honest I did not like Darksiders 2 at all and am not a huge hack and slash fan, but like I said I LOVE this game, and really did not expect to. I really cant understand the people that give this game a bad rating but when you consider that all the well known reviewers and critics give it high scores then you know that they are just trolling and crying for what reason no one knows, but this game is a must have! Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convoluted story that doesn’t have dante screaming “I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTT” and then escaping in a biplane no you won’t be running through a castle to fight one boss only to have to run through the same castle to the same area to fight another boss what you will have to do is relax and allow the geniuses at Ninja Theory to tell you a tale or in the case of some fans allow them to strap you into a straight jacket and force feed you the Nuevo devil may cry medicine .

(Dont get me wrong i loved the original devil may cry and it remains one of my favorite capcom games of all time.....right after Resident evil and Onimusha but to be perfectly honest this game was needed to bring back a franchise that would otherwise have been left buried under a mountain of Street fighter DLC)
  9. Jan 21, 2013
    The best gameplay for a hack'n slash I ever seen! This game is perfect... A dream of gameplay... I don't finish it yet, but I played it for about 4 hours, and it's so amazing! I don't care if they changed Dante, because what's really matters is the DmC feeling. It's a Devil May Cry game, you can feel... The atmosphere is there... Don't be so blind!
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    As a long time player of the dmc series, This game simply is by far the best Devil May Cry game in the series!

Anyone who gives this game a bad rating either has not played this game or just can't let go of the older dmc series dante...which is wrong in so many ways because they are not even judging this game for what it is. in this generation..change should be welcomed. and besides
    people are always more vocal about things they dislike than like...which is an obvious factor here because this game is truly great.

I love this game, from the gameplay aspect down to the story, the character portrayal and everything else. I love how the story is more detailed and clear this time around, and I love the real world being a demonic illusion concept by the higher powers of the world.

As for gameplay, it may not be on bayonetta's level of gameplay which i think set the action genre bar very high. But it's controls down to it's combo's and variety and technicalities really excel in this game. easy-normal-nephelim may be easier modes, but beyond those difficulties start to provide some real challenge, this game can be very hard, challenging to master and overall so stylish and great in so many ways.

All i can say is, ignore the negative reviews...they have no idea what they are talking about. Go out and buy the game and understand for yourself what makes this game so fun.
  11. Feb 23, 2013
    The user reviews are unfairly low for this game. The story and characters of this series have always been ridiculous, and this game is no different. If you honestly believed DMC 1-4 had a great story and characters, I am really embarrassed for you. It's a shame that this game isn't going to sell well because gameplay-wise, it's one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It is incredibly polished and well balanced in contrast to many of the previous sequels, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  12. Feb 4, 2013
    I was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and character progression. You can also get his classic skin through cheap DLC if its that's part of the issue people have with him.The combat is as excellent and responsive as ever and its full of Holy combos and moments with flare and style. The evil media/corporation theme is very fitting this day in age so I enjoyed how it was delivered in this game. I mean, do people really think the owners of these major corporations and news stations are innocent little angels? Of course they aren't. So the story was fun and it made for some truly incredible set pieces that compliment the flashy combat. With great replay value, great graphics and art design, bloody palace (free) DLC coming soon and even more DLC on the way I cant recommend this game enough. To all fans of action games, buy this. Expand
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. I recommend it without any sort of reservation. It's just pure unadulterated fun. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the character action aint half bad either.
  14. Jan 16, 2013
    Regardless of the fanatics, who can only be satisfied when developers regurgitate the same game repeatedly for decades, DmC stands as an accomplishment by every unit of measure. The fact that Capcom even attempted to innovate on this title is remarkable and is to be commended. DmC expands a space previously reserved exclusively for the most extreme of the hardcore. The Devil May Cry series originated in a different era and for as good as that game was during its generation, the market and the audience is vastly different today then it was back then. Unlike DmC's predecessors, this game is simple to play, yet difficult to master.

It's narrative is compelling, interesting, and witty. The action is engaging without being cumbersome, and most importantly it's fun as HELL. If you like action games, particularly Bayonetta or earlier Ninja Theory games, this title is a must own. Do yourself a favor and dismiss the crybabies or you might just miss out on a legitimate 2013 game of the year contender.
  15. Jan 31, 2013
    This is an amazing game. The jump and run action is fun, the combat is fun as always in a DMC game. You have everything you had before plus amazing art. The environment changes all the time and is vibrant and alive. This game really set the tone for what I would be expecting in the future from game makers. I want a rich experience with the surroundings, the visual side of what DMC has shown on that regard seems unparalleled. The soundtrack is also quite good and regardless of what the hipster fans of dmc 1 and 3 will tell you the story and the characters are great and better even! Expand
  16. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    It actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get over it. Ninja theory deserved so much more from the people for making dmc matter again. Ignore all the hate, and if you haven't already, play it. You wont regret it. Expand
  18. Jan 18, 2013
    Let me start of with this: It's amazing, the story is the best in any DMC game so far, and it plays so smoothly, even at 30 FPS.
    The gameplay is by far the most fun I've had in any DMC game, it's responsive, the combos a sweet, and the fact that they removed styles shouldn't erk you, the knew hold down the trigger button system works way better, and adds even cooler chain attacks, Limbo
    is such a unique and artistic setting that it's impossible not to love, even when it's trying to kill you.
    The fact that the environment moves around and tries to kill Dante added a nice level of surprise to every mission, even if by the last three levels started to get predictable.
    The new design fits, it doesn't matter if you don't like it, it fits, and what made this Dante really cool is that he had more of a personality than old Dante.
    The new character Kat is by far my favorite DMC female character so far, I wont say why though, too much spoilers.
    However it's a little short, clocking my play time to a little over ten hours a nephilem mode, and it's a little too easy, but those a minor things.
    Dantes latest adventure is a major improvement all around, and I also would like to mention, don't trust the user score, it's just a bunch of old fans angry because the didn't get a normal DmC experience, they however, got something better.
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    this game is awesome. I have played all of the DMC games, and over the years, this franchise grew stale and i completely lost interest in DMC. after DMC4. Dante felt old, tired and i preferred Nero over Dante because his demon arm felt so much fun to use and pull off combos with. Dante of DMC4 was not cool and i dreaded switching back control to Dante.
    This reboot is what the franchise
    needed. It grabbed my interest and made me more of a fan than the last 4 games ever did. The acting and mocap is superb, graphics and design is awesome. the old dante is dead. Ninja theory did a great job. Way to show Capcom how devil may cry should be done. Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed
    and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I would like to say that it is gamers like you guys who is killing the video game industry !! If you dont like the game because its a REBOOT (which means its a new take on the series ) then dont hate on it ! Ninja theory made an execellent game and should not be hated because some whiny little gamers want the old dante back. If game stayed the same we would never get innovative games like dishonored ordark souls. This series needed a REBOOT and i hope that this series will continue and that ninja theory and the public will ignore the dumb biased and objective reviews . Expand
  23. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  24. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME.
    I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off !
    This is a great game!
    This is fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys !
    Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too !
    Ninja Theory congrats!
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    Ok so let me start of by saying I'm a huge dmc fan.I've played Evey game, saw the anime and read the manga. This game is a great addition to the series. The graphics are amazing, the game play is spot on. The level design is some of the best I've seen. Dante is Dante through and through. The game opens up as u play and one u beat it, he .. wait for it...has white hair. Don't listen to the so called fans of original dmc. This game is amazing I highly reccommend it to any action game fan. Stop reading and go buy it. Oh and son of Sparta mode after u beat it makes it even better. Expand
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    To start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elements from the old games and changed them making it feel fresh and i like the addition of 2 realms the real world and limbo where you get taken to fight the demons and the edition of the training system makes it easier to learn the new combos .To end this review this is a fantastic game that everyone should try and capcom and ninja theory should feel proud of what they have produced welldone Expand
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    This was a fantastic game. I am not sure why everyone hates it so much. To me this sounds like a similar problem a bunch of children had with the ending of Mass Effect 3. DMC did a fantastic job in every aspect, people are upset with the contemporary setting and the short hair, get over it. DMC 4 did terrible and for good reason, it was washed up and nobody cared. Ninja Theory accomplished exactly what they wanted, people to talk about there game, no ink is bad ink in the review world. The more people that write bad reviews, the more hype the game gets. So in my opinion, keep the bad reviews coming because it is giving a great game more and more spotlight in the media. Congratulations Ninja Theory on the fantasmic-eye-candy-licious orgasm of the mind accomplishment that is DMC. Expand
  28. Jan 21, 2013
    DMC 5 is probably the best game in the entire series... fluid gameplay... excellent graphics and creative level designing...... story is short but pretty good ........ overall this game is AWESOME....
  29. Jan 17, 2013
    Fantastic game. The gameplay is fun, fast and variable. The game looks great, as does the character design, and the music is rocking. I haven't played the previous DMCs, but I really like the characters in this reboot, especially Dante. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't take itself too seriously. I would urge fans of the previous series to give this game a chance, and not reject it just because "It's different, Dante's different." Expand
  30. Jan 17, 2013
    Being a long time fan of the Devil May Cry series, I was so excited when I found out this game was coming out. I finished the game yesterday & I have to say that is game is amazing. It was so much fun to play, the story was awesome & it's the same Dante just a younger more rebellious version. A lot of people hung up on idiotic technicalities like, his hair being different are cheating themselves out of a good game. I like where the story went, the ending was good, it was a nice way to show how Dante came to be the awesome loveable Demon killer so many have grown to love. Some people claim that they had issues with the speed of the game but I personally encountered no glitches or anything wrong with it. It's worth playing & if you're a true DMC fan then it's definitely worth buying. Ninja Theory took a risk & they succeeded in making an all around hardcore game. I'm impressed to say the least. Expand

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.