7.2

1. Sep 13, 2012
    I'll be honest, ever since the first trailer for this game I thought it was going to be absolute garbage. And this game completely defied all my expectations. It's a really fun game with only a few major shortcomings that down the score to the 6 I'm giving it. The first thing you really notice is the Street Fighter 4 styled visuals which look pretty good, although it is a little weirdI'll be honest, ever since the first trailer for this game I thought it was going to be absolute garbage. And this game completely defied all my expectations. It's a really fun game with only a few major shortcomings that down the score to the 6 I'm giving it. The first thing you really notice is the Street Fighter 4 styled visuals which look pretty good, although it is a little weird coming from WayForward, known for great looking 2D sprites. The second thing is the awesome 80's as hell soundtrack. And then the humor in the game, which is fantastic. It's really funny, and also the references to other games (even Diablo 2) are always nice to catch and bring a smile to your face. The combat is a little awkward to get used to at first but you sort of get the hang of it after a while. It is a pretty non-standard style of play for the genre but it works well, especially with 2 players. The shortcomings of the game sadly bog down the experience to one I would pay 5 dollars for rather than the 10 dollar asking price. For one, the combat isn't perfect, it's really not good enough to uphold the whole experience. I'd much rather go back and play the first game or the second game. Pretty much the biggest gripe I had with the combat was the grappling system. Remember in the first and second games you would grab woman by the hair and knee them in the face? Or grab men by the neck, and beat their face in with your fist? That doesn't happen in this game, the grapple is relegated to a stupid dinky little throw you can only do to certain enemies when they're stunned. The game lacks all the brutality of the old Double Dragon games, which while that may suit the cartoony 80's style they have going on, doesn't make the combat feel very fun or satisfying. That's just a minor gripe with the combat though, the biggest issues are how short the game is, and the lack of replay value. Aside form replaying the game on higher difficulties there's not much replay value, ESPECIALLY for a short game without much variety. even with all the different moves and stances to level up it doesn't really seem like the game you'll be going back to. Also an issue is - who is this game for? I mean, it's not Double Dragon enough for the Double Dragon fans, and it's too 80's for anyone who didn't own an NES as a kid. All in all I'd wait for a 5 dollar price and romp through it with a friend. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the low scores Beat-em Up fans Double Dragon Neon is a game you need on your radar!

At the first announcement of WayForward remaking Double Dragon I was a tad sceptical and the first screen shots didn't help this feeling. Though the team have pulled through and the finished product exceeded all expectations. This game bleeds style like a rare steak from its cell shaded neon infused art style, 80s influence and referential humour. The story is as simple as can be, one day thugs take your girl and you'll have to fight tooth and nail to get her back. Fighting on the city streets, country side, laboratories and others locations that need to be witnessed first hand. Skills and fighting styles are earned by collecting mixtapes; skills vary from a spinning kick to a screen clearing dragon attack and styles are to cater to the way each persons play-style, having a rough time? Equip the "training wheels" style or do you want to abuse fireballs? use the "Magic gambit" style. Both can be levelled up at the various stores and collected through normal gameplay.

On the topic of Mix tapes the games soundtrack has to be the best part of this game Jake Kaufman's work really makes the game flow and a lot of effort was put into the games sound design (All the mixtapes in the game have their own little jingles that each show the 80's influences and the OST is free on his bandcamp). The cast of voices have a refined cheesy vocabulary that fits well into the aesthetic, Minions will cartwheel on screen yelling out "Gymnastics!" as their battle cry. The Bosses are very creative to fight and require some skill and strategy to defeat (the final boss can feel a bit cheap). Minion feel a little repetitive but their designs vary over the levels and new foes are introduced all the way til the final stages. The game currently has some small issues from launch but a patch is already on the way and the bugs did not affect my gameplay. The game is short running about 2.5 hours on a single play through. Re-playability comes in the style of higher difficulties and maxing out your mixtapes. The game supports drop-in, drop-out local co-op but currently lacks a online feature.

For $10 you really can't go wrong, Double Dragon Neon is one of the finer remakes of this generation that would be a shame to miss.

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2012
    Not anywhere near as good as Streets of Rage 2, which came out 20 years ago. That said, it's fun, and more importantly knows that it's outdated. [Issue#91, p.87]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 16, 2012
    Fine combat, badly balanced. [Dec 2012, p.103]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 4, 2012
    Nice resurrection of the classic fighting game will probably discourage many modern gamers because of its excessive difficulty. This one is only for the toughest. [Nov 2012]