4.4

1. Mar 9, 2011
    Comparing Dragon Age 2 to Dragon Age: Origins, it improves some things but also losing some things in the process.

The combat this time around is fasted paced and satisfying. However, it does take a step back from the tactical RPG that Dragon Age: Origins was. You can still pause the screen to choose actions but the absence of the Tactical Overhead View just simply baffles me. Why would Bioware remove such a good idea and feature from it's sequel? I have no clue.

The player character can now speak in conversations, must like Mass Effect. This in my opinion is a good thing because the silent protagonist in Dragon Age: Origins was really awkward and left much of the decisions you did pick in conversations up to you imagination of what was truly said.

Facial animations are far better but the overall graphics seem lacking in some ways. On the console version I noticed Dragon Age 2 to be alot smoother and less jagged, but seemed less polished. I don't think Bioware was trying to make another Dragon Age: Origins, but was trying to go for something different.
  2. Mar 8, 2011
    You can really tell that the developers wanted to follow in the footsteps of ME2. The game is streamlined and the inventory is cleaned up a great deal. It is by no means a bad game, and i'm finding it very enjoyable and worth the money I spent on it. If you're looking for a direct expansion of DA:0 then you may be left wanting; but if you're looking for a new experience it's definitlyYou can really tell that the developers wanted to follow in the footsteps of ME2. The game is streamlined and the inventory is cleaned up a great deal. It is by no means a bad game, and i'm finding it very enjoyable and worth the money I spent on it. If you're looking for a direct expansion of DA:0 then you may be left wanting; but if you're looking for a new experience it's definitly worth your time. Bottom line is, you have to ask yourself, has Bioware let you down before? If you answer yes, you might want to pass on this title. You really have to look at it as a completely new game, rather than an expansion, or even extension of DA:O, and if you can do that, then you'll have fun with it. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    Hi All,
    Hi All,
    I'd just like to say that this game does not deserve a ZERO! I know some people will be angry at me, but anyone who gave a 0 score should seriously take a step back and think about it... I have revised my previous review from a 9 to an 8 - or 7.5 if the scale would permit - after about 38 more huors of play, but a zero???!!! What is wrong with you??!! If this game ain't your cup of tea then I can see giving it a 4-5, but any score lower is a clear indication that you SHOULD NOT BE REVIEWING VIDEO GAMES! I have been a gamer for over 20 years, and I believe a score of lower than 4 must come from someone who has not looked at this game objectively. If you hate the genre so much, stick to FPS and racing games, because your review can not be taken seriously. As a added note, anyone who has been following Bioware from the beginning (ehem... - Silvermaul) I understand your frustration caused by this games lack of ability to meet the high standards set by games like KOTOR, Baldur's Gate (one of my all time favorites) and of course who can forget Mass Effect 1 and 2 - however, this is still a decent game. ZERO! - come on folks, that is ridiculous!
  4. Mar 9, 2011
    Just really fun. Maybe we expect too much from Bioware. I can see why some people are disappointed, but in the end Dragon Age 2 is an extremely good game, set in a beautiful game world that is really fun to play. Sometimes that is enough.
  5. Mar 9, 2011
    Purchased, played for a bit, saw the same levels copy/pasted all over the place. This is a sloppy addition to the dragon age series. A clear cash in, 1 year development time, with bought off reviews and 'high praises' from random people that have clearly been hired to inflate the rating on metacritic.

I just hope Bioware has enough dignity left for a proper DA:O sequel.. god forbid this happens to ME.

6. Mar 8, 2011
    Honestly, rating this game as a 3 or below is absolutely ridiculous. Ratings like that are saved for games that are completely broken, which this clearly is not. If the new combat system isn't your particular cup of tea, IT DOES NOT MAKE THIS A BAD GAME. And, Deadalious, we're talking about a video game, not "pizza". Get a job in politics if you want to use retarded metaphors.

Personally,

Personally, I happen to enjoy the newer, more fast-paced combat system just as much as the older one. So far, the story is great, and an actual main character with a voice and personality is one of the best inclusions. I'm not so sure why everyone is freaking out over the dialogue wheel either. The game obviously has its flaws, and yes, the series pales in comparison to Mass Effect of Elder Scrolls, but it is absolutely not a bad game whatsoever. I have spent the past 13 years of my life playing as many RPG's as I can get my hands on, and DA2 really does deliver, despite a couple of flaws. Don't listen to anyone saying this game is anything less than mediocre.
  7. Mar 8, 2011
    This game is pretty good. Comparing to previous game:
    + Less generic story and setting, no ususal boring you are chosen one crap, The stroy feels less childish compared to the first installment in the series.
    This game is pretty good. Comparing to previous game:
    + Class system got reballanced. Warriors became more interesting to play (their abilities are a bit cartoonish, but they now have more versalitie and uses, thats more important, i think).

- Restrictions to playable characters customizations. Unability to choose a specialization may be a good or bad thing (they have custom specializations, usually quite interesting ones, but only one, and they cant choose one of the specializations aviable for player. you have to play 3 times with different classes to see all of them), but the inventory restrictions is just playin lazieness of developers. Linear location argument is crap. Locations usually have branches and overall feeling is the same to dao, nothing has changed, became worse or better. Gameplay hasnt changed much, the only difference - it looks a little faster due to new animations (i dont have problems with that) and warriors now have more active role in combat (they can cc and aoe right from the start, they are as usefull as mages are). It doesnt feel like slasher, it feels like dao. Design changes arent that much of a deal. You dont see darkspawn often, Flemeth looks hot and qunari looks more interesting (change in their appearance seem quite unbeliavable and radical though, but who cares, you didnt seen them much in dao). Quests seem of the same quality, i even think da2's are better, but so far nothing to remember (i havent finished the game yet though). But they dont seem boring or tedious, so i am genereally satisfied.
  8. Mar 9, 2011
    I'm highly surprised at all the negative user reviews on this site. I played the game for about 4 hours last night and could barely pull myself away from the TV at midnight. Dragon Age: Origins had its share of problems, from clunky combat to (yes, it's true) linear gameplay and maps. I'm not sure why people would say DA2 is more linear than DA:O though. When I got to Kirkwall, I had aboutI'm highly surprised at all the negative user reviews on this site. I played the game for about 4 hours last night and could barely pull myself away from the TV at midnight. Dragon Age: Origins had its share of problems, from clunky combat to (yes, it's true) linear gameplay and maps. I'm not sure why people would say DA2 is more linear than DA:O though. When I got to Kirkwall, I had about 10 different quests I could complete right off the bat. And while I was completing those quests, 3 or 4 more popped up out of random encounters with NPCs. The combat is much more action-packed and less just pressing buttons while your character yells at you for doing so. It feels like you're actually controlling your character and you can issue more than one command at a time without feeling like an idiot. As for the maps, they are somewhat linear but no more so than in DA:O. The graphics could have been better, as they don't really offer much over DA:O but they still look pretty good on the 360.

For those people complaining about DLC, just stop it. If you don't want to shell out the 800 points for it, then don't. If you had pre-ordered the game and gotten in on the Signature Edition deal, you would have gotten a slew of DLC for free right off the bat so I have no sympathy. So far the story is also solid and loading a DA:O save really adds to the background you hear from characters within the game. My score could change as I get further into the game, but so far it seems like an engaging, action-packed adventure that compliments the original very well. All the negative reviews on here sound like RPG fanboys that just didn't get what they wanted.
  9. Mar 9, 2011
    I think a lot of users here are unfairly beating this game up, not for what it is, but for what it isn't. This isn't Baldur's Gate 2 with improved graphics. Sensibilities by most gamers have change since the release of BG2, so re-releasing it with prettier graphics wouldn't cut it either. This game has note been diluted to the point that most would lead you to believe - this game still hasI think a lot of users here are unfairly beating this game up, not for what it is, but for what it isn't. This isn't Baldur's Gate 2 with improved graphics. Sensibilities by most gamers have change since the release of BG2, so re-releasing it with prettier graphics wouldn't cut it either. This game has note been diluted to the point that most would lead you to believe - this game still has more of an "RPG" heart than Mass Effect 2. Skill trees still exist and tactical combat pausing still is a must (especially on the harder difficulties).

Sure, Bioware "streamlined" the game over DA:O - but I would argue most of the changes were for the better. Trap making, for example, has gone by the wayside, but I would venture to bet that 90% of DA:O players on consoles never touched most of these "advanced" features. Combat is FAR superior to the console version of DA:O - it is far more engaging and faster paced. Graphics are also much improved over the console version of it's predecessor.

Voice work is almost uniformly excellent. I may be in the minority, but I don't think much was lost by going with the conversation wheel. In DA:O, you may have had 6 canned lines to choose from, but in most cases, they'd only lead to 2 different responses anyway. I think this lack of this perceived conversation finesse is largely overstated.

I admire Bioware for the chances it took with the story in DAII. Many will fault it because it doesn't follow the generic fantasy trope of "saving the world from the bad guy" (as much as I enjoyed DA:O, I felt like its story often fell too much on the "generic fantasy" side of fence). At least this story takes some chances by going against the expectation with its tale of political intrigue and shades of gray decision making. The scope is reduced, but the result is a quality, yet tighter, tale.

If you come in with an open mind and not have expectations of this being Baldur's Gate 3, you will enjoy the improved graphics, faster paced combat, and compelling story.
  10. Mar 9, 2011
    What's with all the trolls? I am about 9 hours into the game and loving it. This morning at work all i could think of was getting back to the game. The story is fantastic, the graphics are much better than the original, and the combat is fun in medium, and quite challenging in hard. A great game from BioWare!
  11. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, the low scores for this game are incredible. I understand the fan base of true Bioware RPGs being upset over this simplified version of a great game. When you look at the game as a whole without bias, you find a surprisingly good game. In the end the story elements come together. The small quirks are amazing, and they do feed some nerdcore passions. My main issue is a city thatWow, the low scores for this game are incredible. I understand the fan base of true Bioware RPGs being upset over this simplified version of a great game. When you look at the game as a whole without bias, you find a surprisingly good game. In the end the story elements come together. The small quirks are amazing, and they do feed some nerdcore passions. My main issue is a city that is supposedly filled with refugees and is the largest city in the Free Marches is almost completely empty and pristine. Now I do like the combat system, because on the PC you can truly delve a little deeper into the game. Truth is Bioware is in this business to make money and catering to we few hardcore RPG gamers does not always pay off. Now I wait for 8 mos till Elder Scrolls: Skyrim hits the market. Expand
  12. Mar 9, 2011
    Loads of improvements over the original. Main character being voiced is a huge plus. Genuinely care about what I'm doing. About half way through and really enjoying it.
  13. Mar 9, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters rating the game below 5, they are hardcore nerds mad that the game is now more accessible to a broader audience. This game lives up to all the hype and is a ton of fun to play. Well worth the $60 in my books.
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    After seeing all these negative review scores, I had to create an account to chime in. I was hesitant at first to believe that Dragon Age 2 would be better than DAO, but after playing all my fears were erased. The character customization is better, the itemization is better, the VO acting is better, the combat is WAY better, and everything else has been streamlined. I went back to play DAOAfter seeing all these negative review scores, I had to create an account to chime in. I was hesitant at first to believe that Dragon Age 2 would be better than DAO, but after playing all my fears were erased. The character customization is better, the itemization is better, the VO acting is better, the combat is WAY better, and everything else has been streamlined. I went back to play DAO after my first session in DA2 as a comparison and i realized how clunky it really was. DA2 ftw Expand
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    I was genuinely looking forward to this game. I didn't think DA: O was a perfect game, but it was a solid RPG with only a few little problems could have been ironed out. Expecting that from DA2, I was severely disappointed. It seems the developers were just trying to cash in on the success of the first; this game is ugly, corny, and shallow. DO NOT BUY IT.
  16. Mar 8, 2011
    Improving on Dragon Age: Origins in almost every way, Dragon Age II brings a ton of great characters to the series and manages to deftly pack all of the strategy of the console version into a faster, more entertaining combat system. There's a ton of strategy there if you're looking for it (I'm a fan of the Rogue's upgraded Back-to-Back skill coupled with my mage's upgraded Mind Blast - itImproving on Dragon Age: Origins in almost every way, Dragon Age II brings a ton of great characters to the series and manages to deftly pack all of the strategy of the console version into a faster, more entertaining combat system. There's a ton of strategy there if you're looking for it (I'm a fan of the Rogue's upgraded Back-to-Back skill coupled with my mage's upgraded Mind Blast - it stuns everyone around you, and the Rogue teleports next to you to deal nothing but Critical Hits to stunned enemies). On the surface somethings have changed since DA:O, but after a few hours it still feels very much like it's predecessor, but with a bevy of solid improvements. Expand
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    th1s game is so awsome! omggg it deserves like. an 11/10. my mom bot it 4 me 4 my bday an i havnt been able to put it down yet!!!!!!!! the only reson this gaem has a low score is cuz of the mean ppl at **** /v/ board r mad and dont like the game even tho they never playd it so their trying 2 raid medacritic 2 give it a low score by all giving it a 1
  18. Mar 8, 2011
    I've loved this game! The dialogue is much improved, the animation is infinitely better than Origins, the characters are a whole lot more fun, and seemingly less archetypal (I've only played for 3 hours), and the voice-acting is superb. Bioware took everything that was good about Origins, and combined it with the wonders of Mass Effect. The only thing I've had some problems with is theI've loved this game! The dialogue is much improved, the animation is infinitely better than Origins, the characters are a whole lot more fun, and seemingly less archetypal (I've only played for 3 hours), and the voice-acting is superb. Bioware took everything that was good about Origins, and combined it with the wonders of Mass Effect. The only thing I've had some problems with is the long, constant loading screens. Overall though, I've absolutely loved the game. Expand
  19. Mar 9, 2011
    Improved upon in almost every way. More immersive, better storytelling mechanics (especially the fact that relationships develop over a series of years) and combat is just downright more fun. If you think the graphics are worse than the original, you are lying to yourself. The combat is strategic as ever, just FASTER AND MORE FUN. The abilities all actually DO something, unlike DA:OImproved upon in almost every way. More immersive, better storytelling mechanics (especially the fact that relationships develop over a series of years) and combat is just downright more fun. If you think the graphics are worse than the original, you are lying to yourself. The combat is strategic as ever, just FASTER AND MORE FUN. The abilities all actually DO something, unlike DA:O where you spent points on things you would never use. And if you really have a problem with the dialog wheel, go play D&D in your basement. Interactive cinema is what its all about. Expand
  20. Mar 8, 2011
    I find it highly interesting that there are so many user reviews posted, particularly negative reviews, after the game just came out. I will say up front that I have not yet finished Dragon Age, but I am more than half way through. So far, the game is a vast improvement over Origins, from the streamlined combat, to a more central protagonist. To those complaining over the changes to theI find it highly interesting that there are so many user reviews posted, particularly negative reviews, after the game just came out. I will say up front that I have not yet finished Dragon Age, but I am more than half way through. So far, the game is a vast improvement over Origins, from the streamlined combat, to a more central protagonist. To those complaining over the changes to the core mechanics and Bioware's aim at a more casual audience, grow up. If you haven't realized it, developers need to make money, in fact to some extent that's the goal. Appealing to a larger audience doesn't mean they've thrown quality out the window, it just means they've made a smart business decision.

Ranting aside, the combat is more visceral, the story more structured, the graphics substantially upgraded. If your a fan of RPG's and open to change, I can't recommend this game enough. To those who feel scorned by the changes, just stick with it and give it a chance. If after you've fully played it and still come away unimpressed, your entitled to your opinions. Aside from that, giving it a score of 1 and 0 just because you feel let down is an injustice to this game.
  21. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll be quick. This game improves combat for the better, the visuals are a step forward (in the dragon age universe at least) the story is much more..... focused (for lack of a better term) and the characters that bioware introduce to us never seem to feel annoying or useless to a point where you feel like murdering them in their sleep. There are flaws, but honestly, perfection is in theI'll be quick. This game improves combat for the better, the visuals are a step forward (in the dragon age universe at least) the story is much more..... focused (for lack of a better term) and the characters that bioware introduce to us never seem to feel annoying or useless to a point where you feel like murdering them in their sleep. There are flaws, but honestly, perfection is in the eye of the beholder and when a game of this scope manages to keep everything on track with little to no fat hanging over the side, that spells damn close to perfection in my books. This game is designed to add to the wrecking ball that sits between gamers and non gamers and it does a great job, a lot of super RPG nerds will feel let down and even be angered by the streamlining of the RPG mechanics and the game in general, but if you're like me and enjoy having a fun time and soaking in the story then look no further than dragon age 2. A side note... due to the 1-10 rounding system used here at metacritic it says a 9 for me but its much closer to a 9.3. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2011
    Fantastic Game.. I love all Bioware games. The gameplay is much better than the first version. The story is so much more intriguing, the combat is much more accessible and the best part is the length of the game
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    Dragon Age II was one of my most anticipated games of 2011, I loved the first game a bunch, that's why it was my choice for Game of the Year 2009. So obviously I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new game. Was it worth the wait, .... uhh..... kinda. I have to admit, Dragon Age II is not as good as I thought it would be, but it's still a really good game. The game takes place 30 yearsDragon Age II was one of my most anticipated games of 2011, I loved the first game a bunch, that's why it was my choice for Game of the Year 2009. So obviously I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new game. Was it worth the wait, .... uhh..... kinda. I have to admit, Dragon Age II is not as good as I thought it would be, but it's still a really good game. The game takes place 30 years after Dragon Age Origins, and this time the game has a real protaganist. Garret Hawke, who is trying to secure his family to protect them from the Blight. Story-wise, the game is ok. I have to say, I think it's badass that your character actually talks this time. The game seems to operate more on the Mass Effect engine this time, Fans of Mass Effect will be very familiar with the layout of the game. Unlike the first game, Dragon Age II plays more like a hack-n-slash. You're not just watching your party do all the work this time, however, your only melee button is A, or in the PS3's case it's X. So you really have to maneuver around your enemies this time. Rogues are more hack-n-slash than the other classes because your primary weapon of choice as a rogue is dual weilding daggers. This was my first choice in DA2, was to be a rogue, I always start as a rogue in these kinds of games. Obviously, this game has huge differences that seperate it from Origins. There's less freedom this time, since the game has a real protaganist this time, you can't choose your race, you're stuck with being a human. So if you were hoping to be an elf or a dwarf, you're out of luck. That disapointed me, because I was always an elf in the first game. You can still customize your character though, and just like in Mass Effect 2, you can import your save from Origins, so the choices you made in Origins affect how DA2 will run, which is a very nice add on. Leveling up and equipting your characters works the same way it did in Origins. and of course you still have to keep your party members happy. Another complaint I had with DA2 is the soundtrack. It's nowhere near as deep and intense as the music from Origins. Origins has some of the best music in a game I have ever heard, but the music in DA2 was indeed a downgrade. Compare the two soundtracks, you'll fins that the Origins soundtrack is way better. Another complaint is how the game even has a protaganist in the first place. Origins was all about choosing your Origin, and building your own story. The game started differently every time, depending on your race and origin, that's why it was called Dragon Age Origins. This gave players the freedom to build up their own story of adventure, that was the magic of Dragon Age. In DA2, it's gone, you follow the story that Bioware gave you. Which is fine, but again, DA was about making your own tale of adventures, so yet another downgrade. Overall, it's still a fun game, but the awesome freedom that DA Origins had is gone, and that really downs the game quite a bit. However it is still very enjoyable. Fun combat system, nice story, very memorable characters, and a good choice system. Not Game of the Year quality, but still a great game. 8/10. Expand
  24. Mar 9, 2011
    A great follow up to Origins. Bioware has changed enough of the menus and controls to keep it fresh yet familiar. The graphics are superb and the music sets the right mood. One thing that was kind of a disappoint in Origins was the "silent hero" problem but that has been addressed with solid voice acting. You are also able to import your decisions from Origins and Awakening into DA2. EvenA great follow up to Origins. Bioware has changed enough of the menus and controls to keep it fresh yet familiar. The graphics are superb and the music sets the right mood. One thing that was kind of a disappoint in Origins was the "silent hero" problem but that has been addressed with solid voice acting. You are also able to import your decisions from Origins and Awakening into DA2. Even RPG fans that didn't enjoy the first Dragon Age should give this one a shot. Remember this is just my opinion but I hope you will find it helpful. Expand
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is AWESOME! Don't believe all the obvious trolls out there. They fixed all my complaints with Origins and I'm having a blast playing this game. It's obvious that the people who are giving crappy reviews haven't even played the game. Buy it! You won't be disappointed.
  26. Mar 9, 2011
    Im a level 7 right now and I give this a 10 so far.I find it hard to believe 180 users have played through out this whole game already, then rushed to Metacritic to review it and take the time to warn others of a Illuminati conspiracy of gaming developers taking the fun out of gaming. Most all the negative reviews are from new accounts. Not clever enough trolls.
  27. Mar 8, 2011
    The best RPG ever, you never played as fun and tactical party RPG combats, it's the biggest and most interesting town that you ever seen in RPG. There are many player choices with consequences on the story. The story is very well written and will make your eyes wet many times. Some companions are much more attaching than any companion of DAO. DA2 fixes many weakness of DAO, the fights areThe best RPG ever, you never played as fun and tactical party RPG combats, it's the biggest and most interesting town that you ever seen in RPG. There are many player choices with consequences on the story. The story is very well written and will make your eyes wet many times. Some companions are much more attaching than any companion of DAO. DA2 fixes many weakness of DAO, the fights are better balanced and more deep. DAO fights was ridiculously easy and now at Hard difficulty they are hard and at Nightmare it's a real challenge. In DAO the companions was sort of dead puppets once out of the camp. Now they are lively and really participate to the adventure, and even, your companions will influence the evolution of the story. In DAO you had only very few build per class, now in DA2 you have plenty more builds making you character building a lot more fun and deep. In one play through DA2 isn't as long than in DAO, because of the multiples alternatives coming from player choices and companions choose the replays are much more interesting and setup a longer play value with replays. Expand
  28. Mar 9, 2011
    I have loved it so far. Still getting used to it. My only griped is the inventory system. I really enjoyed the DA:O setup and being able to customize everyone. This is a great game though.
  29. Mar 12, 2011
    Dragon Age II is an astoundingly good game. Having now played for around 10 hours I can say with a measured opinion that it has met and surpassed all my expectations. I completed Origins and poured over 112 hours into the game. I am by no means a simple fan boy and would have been bitterly disappointed had I not thought Bioware had put the same level of skill and commitment into theDragon Age II is an astoundingly good game. Having now played for around 10 hours I can say with a measured opinion that it has met and surpassed all my expectations. I completed Origins and poured over 112 hours into the game. I am by no means a simple fan boy and would have been bitterly disappointed had I not thought Bioware had put the same level of skill and commitment into the sequel. I have not been disappointed and I fail to see where and why all the user criticism spawns from on this page. I loved Origins and I feel no hesitation in stating that I believe DA2 is a much improved game.
    The pacing is much faster and more exciting, whilst keeping the focus of the narrative throughout - something Origins failed to do at times (there's a Blight going on?).
    The action and fighting dynamics have seriously been improved. Remember people this is the Xbox 360 version we are reviewing and as a console version, it's fighting mechanics have been vastly improved. It's fluid, it's faster and ultimately, it's more exciting. There seems to be a theme arising that people believe it is more like a button basher now. Can I remind you that the sole difference there is that now rather than simply pressing A once and having the character automatically attack, you now do so yourself. I fail to see why this is a negative.
    The story is gripping and the character dynamics and interaction is as superb as it was in the original but with the vast improvement of a fully voiced character. Furthermore, the characters are equally as funny, original and likeable as they were in the original - with the exception of maybe Morrigan (a favourite of mine).
    The graphics are, as expected, a considerable improvement and the scale of Kirkwall is impressive. Another complaint stems from the fact that the majority of the game is played within it's boundaries but this is by no means a bad thing. In fact, it makes perfect sense for the story which is being portrayed.
    Please, if you are considering buying this game, do not be put off by the overtly harsh criticism on this site and do so. If you are a fan of rpgs and most particularly if you enjoyed the first game, I implore you to play this game: you will not regret it.
  30. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, F-ing priks! Go play the game and stop trolling like this! Just because you don't care for the direction the game is going, you shouldn't spam MC like this. Ha, those 144 0's and 1's are probably from all the PC gamers left. Get a console and stop crying.
  31. Mar 9, 2011
    Im giving this game a 10 just because the low review scores are absolutely unjustifiable. This game is far from a perfect 10 but its also far from a 0. Come on people if you are going to write a review on this game atleast make it somewhat believable. Dragon Age Origins may have more memorable characters but this games graphics, combat, and story are way better than the first. Im certainIm giving this game a 10 just because the low review scores are absolutely unjustifiable. This game is far from a perfect 10 but its also far from a 0. Come on people if you are going to write a review on this game atleast make it somewhat believable. Dragon Age Origins may have more memorable characters but this games graphics, combat, and story are way better than the first. Im certain that atleast half of the negative reviews are from people who have never even played the freaking game. Expand
  32. Mar 8, 2011
    Hours into this game, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. The combat is leaps and bounds above the original Dragon Age. One thing I urge people to realize is that DA 1 was also similarly linear. The amount of quests in DA 2 seems to be slightly stepped back, but the combat makes up for it. People idealize a game like DA, and inevitably, they will have a problem with any sequel.Hours into this game, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. The combat is leaps and bounds above the original Dragon Age. One thing I urge people to realize is that DA 1 was also similarly linear. The amount of quests in DA 2 seems to be slightly stepped back, but the combat makes up for it. People idealize a game like DA, and inevitably, they will have a problem with any sequel. Probably the same people that had a problem with ME2, as no game would "ever" stack up to ME1. The combat would best be described as a mix between DA 1 and Kotor. Yes, I went there. And this game is good. Collapse
  33. Nov 12, 2014
    I enjoyed this game every bit as much as Dragon Age: Origins, and hence I'm giving it the same 8/10 rating. Where Dragon Age 2 excels is in Bioware's mainstay: story and characters. It's a sizable improvement over DA:O in both regards. As much as I loved the characters in the original, I have to say I was even more invested in the characters of DA2. And the way Varric narrates theI enjoyed this game every bit as much as Dragon Age: Origins, and hence I'm giving it the same 8/10 rating. Where Dragon Age 2 excels is in Bioware's mainstay: story and characters. It's a sizable improvement over DA:O in both regards. As much as I loved the characters in the original, I have to say I was even more invested in the characters of DA2. And the way Varric narrates the story is just genius! It's obvious focusing on a smaller world led to a more focused and detailed story.

I also like the wave combat that some people deride. The problem with large battles that don't use the wave mechanic is that you get overwhelmed to begin with, but if you somehow manage to make it through that the battle becomes a breeze as you mop up. The wave mechanic takes care of that by preventing you from getting overwhelmed early, and still presenting a challenge later on in the battle. Unfortunately, I think they'll steer clear of this in the future given the negative criticism they received.

Graphics also received a bit of a boost, though not as much as could have been hoped.

Now the bad. The world is smaller than even I would like, and I'm not a huge proponent of open worlds (I've yet to find an open world that offers the amount of detail I desire in games). You're confined to one city and the surrounding area. What's worse is that even though the game area is small, different locations look almost exactly the same. It's blatantly obvious and very disappointing. However, if you can overlook that laziness it doesn't really have an impact on the gameplay.

Another thing I don't like is that they seem to have gone away from tactical combat and focused more on action-oriented gameplay. I dislike this direction a lot. I can get that from other games. I want Dragon Age to to tactical.

DA2 is a great game that people have unfairly punished for being too small. 0/10? Get a life! 10/10? Get real! This game is worthy of at least a 4/10 from even the strictest critic, but it has too many flaws to be perfect. I give it as 8/10 because I truly believe that's what it deserves. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and could have been even greater if Bioware allowed themselves the time to polish the game.
  34. Nov 16, 2014
    DA:2 is a wonderful game with rich, rewarding storytelling, and a highly satisfying degree of player agency over the contents of that story. The NPCs are memorable and wonderfully realized; the dialogue tree is streamlined in a way that feels snappy and responsive, while respecting my choices as a players; and the game does a great job of representing a world where nothing is good or evil,DA:2 is a wonderful game with rich, rewarding storytelling, and a highly satisfying degree of player agency over the contents of that story. The NPCs are memorable and wonderfully realized; the dialogue tree is streamlined in a way that feels snappy and responsive, while respecting my choices as a players; and the game does a great job of representing a world where nothing is good or evil, but rather ambiguous shades of grey. To that point - Dragon Age 2 is possibly the first game that made me question my in-game moral compass, and re-evaluate my decisions based on the outcomes of the story. Every decision is a shade of grey, and every perspective in the game can be justified logically - and so it becomes immensely satisfying to make different choices and to explore the nuances of the political struggles going on in city of Kirkwall. Although DA:Origins was also a fantastic game, I felt like I always knew what the "correct" or "morally acceptable" decision was, and I was rarely torn over what to do. In DA2, these lines are far less clear, which is I believe truer to the original vision of the franchise and ultimately more satisfying.
    One complaint I have heard repeatedly is that DA2 lacks traditional RPG elements and is more of an action game. If you are only looking at the system, that might be partly true. However, the most important part of an RPG game to me is the ability to play a character and take on a unique role (RPG = Role Playing Game). Deciding what my character wears is okay, but deciding what my character does is the absolute essence of an RPG. DA2 focuses on this aspect of playing a role, and I personally found this focus delightful. I also appreciated the very personal story of DA2, which touches on big world-altering events, but is ultimately more about the individual lives of the people in the story. It is a smaller, less epic story than DAO, but I do not think this is necessarily a bad thing. It is simply different. I will admit that some of the larger story threads do not ultimately pan out in a satisfying way, and I was disappointed by this. But the story of Hawke and his/her friends did hold together, and did feel satisfying.
    Regarding other complaints i have seen about the game. Yes, there are repeated environments. Is this really the most important aspect of a game? The caves are noticeable and a slight detractor, but they are short areas that are not very important. The city of Kirkwall is huge, and I really enjoyed getting to explore one location in depth over time. By the end of the game, I felt like it was truly my city, and I had come to care about what happened to it. So, I can understand the complaint, but from a story perspective the choice has some merit in my humble opinion.
    I suppose whether or not you enjoy DA2 comes down to whether you need an epic, sprawling, world-shaking story line to enjoy your RPG content, or whether a more personal story that scratches the surface of the outer world is more your cup of tea. I enjoyed both DAO and DA2 a great deal, but they are very different games with different sensibilities. That said, there are things that happen in 2 that feel like they will have major repercussions in the world of Thedas, and I am greatly looking forward to seeing what the next game has in store.
  35. Jul 6, 2014
    Dragon age 2 was very fun Boware improved the gameplay (finally i hated the slow paced action from the first one) the side quests are really fun the main story feels like a side quest to me but i liked the side quests the characters were fun the one thing that made this rpg more fun than others were 3 types of a person you could be instead of just good or bad which you can be but you canDragon age 2 was very fun Boware improved the gameplay (finally i hated the slow paced action from the first one) the side quests are really fun the main story feels like a side quest to me but i liked the side quests the characters were fun the one thing that made this rpg more fun than others were 3 types of a person you could be instead of just good or bad which you can be but you can also be funny (which is my favorite) Overall dragon age 2 is a fun game that feels like it has no main campaign just side quests which are fun awesome gameplay fun characters and good graphics I highly recommend this game Expand
  36. Mar 15, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is a much better game than most people give it credit for. The overall visuals of the game are a major improvement over the original, the plot and character development (despite it not having the grand scale of the first one) was fleshed out better this time around, and it was a little more unique than the usual BioWare fanfare.

To start, the game is called "Dragon Age" not

To start, the game is called "Dragon Age" not "Warden Age", or at least since the last time I checked. You are not a god-like hero who can face an entire Blight with little to no assistance. People need to remember that the scale of a game does not equate to its quality. You play a refugee who is simply trying to insure the survival of his family, only to find himself thrust into the role of a hero. Not only does the main character have a personality this time around, but also a voice. He/She also has to face some very human situations as the years pass by. Some situations you might find yourself not knowing what the right thing to say is. This isn't because BioWare doesn't know what they are doing, it is more along the lines of them shying away from "Light" and "Dark" decisions and simply adding a shade of gray. Sometimes it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils. Just because you don't see an immediate reaction to your choices, does not mean that they won't play a role later on in the game either. To sit there and say that DA2 is completely linear would be saying the same for every other BioWare game ever made, which most of you can't honestly do.

I understand that quite a few of you might be frustrated by the lack of locations, but then again we go back to my argument over the scale of it. Your rise to power makes you the "Champion of Kirkwall" not the "Champion of the Free Marches" so it is understandable that you are only set to the amount of areas presented to you. Don't even try and say that Dragon Age: Origins didn't recycle locations either. That was one of the first things my roommate griped about when playing DA: O for the first time.

Ah, on to the classic "RPG/Not an RPG" argument. Correct me if I'm wrong, but RPG stands for "Role Playing Game". The game allows you to customize your character's appearance, stats, abilities, and class. This seems to be something you do in just about EVERY RPG. People fail to realize that RPGs aren't becoming more like Action Games, it is actually the other way around. More action games are implementing more RPG elements. Also RPGs give you an option that most Action Games, if any at all, don't... Choice. Your actions and choices affect the storyline, even if it is only to a small degree. Most Action Games have you follow a very linear storyline and don't have a lot in the way of story or other forms of immersion.

The combat hasn't changed, other than the fact that the A button now has to be pressed repeatedly rather than hitting it once and then walking away until your target is dead. Potions can't be spam consumed constantly throughout a fight, which makes you think a little more about when the proper time to use one would be. Your special attacks and abilities are even set to the same style as the first one! Combat that is more fast-paced doesn't make it simply a hack and slash. I love Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins. Their combat works well for me too, but just because DA2 decided to be less traditional, doesn't make it any less an RPG.

I especially love the little things that BioWare decided to do. The little nods, references, and cameos from the first game. It was nice to see some familiar faces and hear of the exploits of my hero from DA: O and DLC. Unlike some of the people who claim to love BioWare, but refuses to support their product, the day-one DLC was also in DA:O, not to mention it was also free to those who actually BOUGHT the game. If you pre-ordered the game you were even bumped up to a Signature Edition for free! We're talking close to $40 of additional content at no charge. So please don't be mad that you actually have to pay for something else since you decided not to buy the game. I'm broke, so the whole "I can't afford to buy a game from a developer I really enjoy" is a pretty invalid argument if I can still manage to do so.

All in all, Dragon Age 2 wasn't the best game BioWare ever made, but it was very much enjoyable and an improvement (and welcomed addition) to an already amazing franchise.
  37. Mar 15, 2011
    First I loved Dragon age Origins, so naturally i buy Dragon age 2 , the story is better, the central character is better, the npcs adds so naturally to the history, as a rpg game i think it is one of the best, and i hope for a Dragon age 3, with Hawk starring .
  38. Mar 26, 2011
    It is not fair to give this game a 0-4 score for not being as great as the first Dragon Age game. The game is still good, even if it does not match its predecessor. The graphics are an improvement from the first one. Even though I did have quite a few instances with texture pop in and during cutscenes characters would shake around occasionally, it didn't hamper my enjoyment. The dialogueIt is not fair to give this game a 0-4 score for not being as great as the first Dragon Age game. The game is still good, even if it does not match its predecessor. The graphics are an improvement from the first one. Even though I did have quite a few instances with texture pop in and during cutscenes characters would shake around occasionally, it didn't hamper my enjoyment. The dialogue is excellent, and the characters are memorable themselves. The story, well if you can call it that, is mediocre. Throughout the entire game I kept thinking that the game was just a bunch of sidequests piled together, but I see the game has rather three stories which are divided into three acts. The quest are fun and interesting, but do not really correlate to create an actually "story." The combat is a lot of fun on the consoles. Being faster paced and more involved than the first, which I could see others not liking, improved the experience. All in all, Dragon Age 2 is a very good game, with interesting characters and dialogue, improved graphics, and a more engaging combat system. It is certainly not without flaws due to a few glitches and the lack of a developed story, but Dragon Age II is still a fun game that you should definitely pick up. Expand
  39. Mar 15, 2011
    How dense are you people? Dragon Age II is far from perfect, but it is also MUCH better than the 0s and 1s you idiots are giving it. No, pressing A repeatedly does not make it a "hack n' slash." There are still plenty of tactics to use. That's why there are four difficulties. If you try just mashing A through Hard or Nightmare, you will not make it far at all. The skill trees and abilitiesHow dense are you people? Dragon Age II is far from perfect, but it is also MUCH better than the 0s and 1s you idiots are giving it. No, pressing A repeatedly does not make it a "hack n' slash." There are still plenty of tactics to use. That's why there are four difficulties. If you try just mashing A through Hard or Nightmare, you will not make it far at all. The skill trees and abilities have actually been expanded. It's much better than the linear 1>2>3>4 skill sets in Origins, so I don't know why people complain about that. The story is actually much more original and interesting than Origins. Origins had the usual "slay the evil thing. Save the world" story. There was white and black. Good and evil. In contrast, 2 is a lot more gray. Both sides have compelling arguments, interesting decisions, etc. Now, it does have some faults. The story, as much as I liked it, does fall apart at the very end. The dungeons and environments do repeat a LOT, which gets really annoying. Also, you can't change your companion's clothes, which isn't a big problem for me, but I do see it as a legitimate complaint. Bioware could have polished this game a lot more. Despite that, it is still a very enjoyable game. The negative reviews are extremely overly-critical. Expand
  40. Mar 15, 2011
    I think people are really giving this game the shiv for very little reason. It is a lot of fun and managed to pull me out of the other games I've been playing long enough to beat it. The story is interesting and the game play is engaging. It might not be as good as the original but taken on it's own footing it is still quite a lot of fun and worth the play through.
  41. Mar 15, 2011
    Don't know what lots of these reviewers are talking about. Sure, the game isn't as good as the first, but 0s, 2s, and 3s? The game really is dumbed down, but its still super fun and the last time that I checked, that is what games should do. Provide fun.
  42. Mar 15, 2011
    The gameplay was much more enjoable that in DA:O against weaker enemies, while big boss fights like the high dragon felt exactly like DA:O. Story/Companions are good. Overall a very funny and enjoable game, better than DA:O
  43. Mar 15, 2011
    C'mon guys those of you who gave it less than 6 are pretty harsh aren't you? What did you expect a perfect game from Bioware? For God's sake if you didn't like the demo why the heck did you buy the game and then **** and moan and give it a zero?! I've played it for 10 hours so far and personally I feel that the story feels more personal this time, I'm quite intrigued by the whole idea ofC'mon guys those of you who gave it less than 6 are pretty harsh aren't you? What did you expect a perfect game from Bioware? For God's sake if you didn't like the demo why the heck did you buy the game and then **** and moan and give it a zero?! I've played it for 10 hours so far and personally I feel that the story feels more personal this time, I'm quite intrigued by the whole idea of 10 years of the main protaganist's life spanning the entire game. Really interested to see how things will progress from here on. And when you do things in the game it feels like you'll actually building up your reputation and relationships, due to the no so insignificant matter of the main character actually able to speak. That's a welcome addition and personally I feel that it covers whatever the game lacks as compared to DAO. Yeah inventory was simplified and stuff but c'mon did it really matter what your party was equipped with? If all you guys out there wanna compare DAII with Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate or whatever fantasy epic you've put on a pedestal go ahead. And continue to **** and moan and probably not enjoy any of the games coming out now and in the near future cause you guys never will, since no modern rpg will ever match whatever exacting standards you guys have. Don't get me started on those zeros, now those are really insanity at work. Personally I'll give it a 9 because Bioware is one of those companies who consistently push out decent and enjoyable RPGs, despite having to endure the crapstorm that inevitably follows every time people don't like certain changes. Imagine having only Baldur's Gate to play for what the next ten years? I WILL go insane. Anyway just wanted to say a big thank you to the developers for loving what they do and being brave enough to change certain aspects of the game, for better or for worse, rather than spinning out Dragon Age Origins II. Expand
  44. Mar 26, 2011
    Overall DA II has been a very enjoyable game for me. around 35 + hours of game time. very twisted dark storyline. For people who have never played DAO... you will enjoy it, if you have played DAO then enter the game with the understanding that istis not much like it's predecessor. Overall I was very pleased with DA II the length of the game was satisfactory, The combat is superior toOverall DA II has been a very enjoyable game for me. around 35 + hours of game time. very twisted dark storyline. For people who have never played DAO... you will enjoy it, if you have played DAO then enter the game with the understanding that istis not much like it's predecessor. Overall I was very pleased with DA II the length of the game was satisfactory, The combat is superior to DAO. the overall theme and storyline is dark... The combat feats, are superior to DAO... You get the interactive speaking lead character much in the vein of ME and MEII which is a plus.... Honestly the only negatives to this game are.... recycled enemies and areas. and the companion Dialogue is somewhat limiting. Other than those issues I liked the game. in fact I feel as if it is one of the better games I have played in sometime.. I notice some people have given the game a 0... Who seem to be unable to Act with necessary distinction by transcending subject/object dichotomy. They have an axe to grind with Bioware for not making THEIR game exactly how they wanted it. so they are trolling and giving the game a 0... Overall I give the game an 8, it's a good game. Maybe not a game of the year type game. but worth playing. and certainly not as bad as most of the detractors are claiming
    I see the overall rating for this game is bad. a 0 rating? C'MON man...
  45. Jan 28, 2012
    I'm not sure why Metacritic has played host to this massive tirade against DA2, but I'd like to do my part to rectify that. I don't usually like trying to skew the average with my score, and I'd usually give this game a 9, but I'm going to give it a 10 to try to balance out the hordes of people unthinkingly giving this game a 0. DA2 is a fantastic game that improves massively on itsI'm not sure why Metacritic has played host to this massive tirade against DA2, but I'd like to do my part to rectify that. I don't usually like trying to skew the average with my score, and I'd usually give this game a 9, but I'm going to give it a 10 to try to balance out the hordes of people unthinkingly giving this game a 0. DA2 is a fantastic game that improves massively on its predecessor in the only aspect that really counts: the story and the characters in it. The characters are complex and have lives outside of the protagonist's party, and their relationship to you evolves much more organically. The story is unique, well-told and a huge breath of fresh air compared to the stale sword-and-sorcery, kill the horde of bad guys story in Dragon Age Origins. It's the saga of a family and a city. It has some flaws, namely the reused environments and Isabela's breasts, but overall it's a huge improvement, and we need to see more RPGs like it, that take story and characters more seriously than inventory management and combat pacing. Expand
  46. Mar 29, 2011
    Before you read any further, take note that the views expressed here are mine and mine alone. Dragon Age 2, despite the fact that many critics and fans believe that it is a sad excuse for a sequel to such a great game, is a more than exceptional game in it's own right. Let me first say that Dragon Age: Origins, is better than Dragon Age 2, this does not mean that Dragon Age 2 is bad, notBefore you read any further, take note that the views expressed here are mine and mine alone. Dragon Age 2, despite the fact that many critics and fans believe that it is a sad excuse for a sequel to such a great game, is a more than exceptional game in it's own right. Let me first say that Dragon Age: Origins, is better than Dragon Age 2, this does not mean that Dragon Age 2 is bad, not by a long shot. DA:O, had a more gripping story and more in depth combat than DA2. DA2, on the other hand, had more fluent combat, better graphics, though that doesn't make the game, and more interesting characters. DA:O's story was gripping from the very first hour to the end credits, the story just made you want to continue to gather your forces together to destroy the Archedemon. DA2 on the other hand was both exciting and dull throughout the story, of course most games become dull at one point or the other. Some side quests just seem as though there was no point in them to be there, as though they are just filler material. What is a good thing is that some quests that you do in Act 1 continue into Acts 2 and 3, where they affect the world around you. To add to all of this in DA:O you could be a different race AND pick your class, while in DA2 you could only be a human. Graphics in DA2 don't look as gritty and blurry as they did in DA:O. Instead, they look more slick and sharp. Just remember that the graphics aren't everything in a game, and that having amazing graphics is not as important as core gameplay, though it is still important nonetheless. In DA:O, the combat system, even though it was on a console, seemed much more in depth than DA2. While playing DA:O, I often paused the game and issued commands to my party, while in DA2 I rarely, if ever, issued tactical commands. DA2 is more of a hack n' slash game, with tactical elements blended in. So, DA:O is more tactical, while DA2 is more fast paced. The characters in DA2 seemed much more humorous, and it seemed like they had their own personalities. In DA:O some characters had personalities, while others showed little emotion. What makes the characters, are the voice actors, and the voice actors are quite good in DA2, though there are some instances where it is questionable. Dragon Age 2, is a well thought out sequel, though it could have used some polishing. You don't have to play Dragon Age: Origins to understand it, so its a good place to start, if you wish. Expand
  47. Jan 21, 2013
    The immense negative feedback to this game is completely ludicrous. The best argument is that it's not like Dragon Age: Origins, and that is completely unfair. The fact is that DA:O did a few things better than DA2 does, and that DA2 does a few things better than DA:O did. The combat isn't better or worse, it's just a different style. DA:O may have had a more epic tale, but DA2's focus onThe immense negative feedback to this game is completely ludicrous. The best argument is that it's not like Dragon Age: Origins, and that is completely unfair. The fact is that DA:O did a few things better than DA2 does, and that DA2 does a few things better than DA:O did. The combat isn't better or worse, it's just a different style. DA:O may have had a more epic tale, but DA2's focus on one man's family and struggle is of a different tone. The characters are still brilliant, and the dialogue is still entertaining. The more defined art style choices help improve DA2. The boss battles are epic, and the DLC is high quality with variety of missions including brawls, hunts, stealth, etc. The best thing to come out of DA2 is that if Bioware takes the best bits of DA2 and blends them with what people loved about DA:O, then Dragon Age 3 will be a truly fantastic classic of a game. Don't listen to the negative reviews, as they all seem based in hatred of change. DA2 is not a step backward nor is it a step forward....it's a step sideways that allows the Dragon Age franchise to fine tune it's personality, style, atmosphere, world, and gameplay. Expand
  48. Mar 12, 2011
    I have been a Bioware fan since the good old days. This game is a severe disappointment. I don't think I will be investing much more time beyond the ten hours I have played so far. It is NOT an RPG. It is an action-arcade game with role-playing decorations.

Graphics and Gameplay. The backgrounds. which as other reviewers have pointed out are recycled over and over again, are static: they don't move or change. It seems like your characters are moving against a painted landscape. The game is bedeviled with interminable load times between sequences. The voice acting is credible, but bugs in the synch often cause the speech to be delayed until after a character's mouth stops moving. It is much worse than a bad japanese lip-synch job.

The World. There is no open world to explore. Worse yet, it *feels* small. Whenever you leave a small area, you get a menu of other locations to visit. There is no sense of travel or exploration. You just instantly move from place to place. Within any particular location, there is really just one pathway to travel. You really don't have to *find* anything. So, there are no secret locations to discover for yourself. The world itself seems like a set piece and not a living environment. For the most part, the NPCs do not move around. They just stand, sit, or lie in their places. And while the cutscenes are for the most part interesting, there are way too many of them. After a couple hours, you begin to dread passing by a new NPC (who wasn't there the last time you were in the same place), because another long cutscene is sure to interrupt what action there is. This makes it difficult to get any sense of momentum going.

Combat. Combat is *terrible*. While there are lots of interesting graphical effects, there is no need for strategy or figuring out what spells or abilities to use. I'm not kidding about this. What usually happens is that a bunch of monsters appear (as if from nowhere) when you cross a certain point in your path. Then, you just mash the "A" button as fast as you can. You character more or less auto-targets, and when one monster falls, keep mashing "A" and your character moves automatically to attack the next monster. As to abilities, you just watch the timers and mash "X" "Y" or "Z" whenever a particular ability is ready again. Combat is fast paced, TOO fast paced. Really, the combat reminds me of Diablo more than a Bioware RPG. Questing. There are plenty of quests. The problem is, they don't seem to make much sense. The quest log fills up as you experience the endless cutscenes. Sometimes all it takes is for some NPC to mention a place, and a quest related to that place will appear in your quest log the next time you open it. You don't have to agree to take the quest, or even realize that a quest was in the offing. Whenever I opened the log I would be surprised to see a bunch more quests and have no recollection of who assigned them. Fortunately, you don't even have to think about the quests because huge arrows point you to exactly where to go. There is no sense of mystery or discovery, merely working off a long to-do list that somebody else wrote up for you.

The Story. Yawn. Dragon Age: Origins began with a bang: your entire civilization was teetering on the brink of destruction and being overrun with hellish monsters. The story just picked up from there. On the other hand, in Dragon Age 2, the story starts off with you fleeing (cowardly, no?) across the ocean to a new city where you are penniless and friendless. You then start from the bottom and work your way up. It takes too long for the story to get interesting. And what story there is in the first dozen hours of play is uninteresting, overly complicated and confusing. Why do we care about these characters? Why do we even care about the main character? These questions are unanswered for far too long.

Summary. Ugh. I was totally taken by this game, which I preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon. I wish I had two days and $60 back. I think it is not coincidental that as of this writing the major review sites have not published their reviews yet. My guess is they are holding the negative reviews to give Bioware a chance to sell the game for a few days before the bad reviews appear. At the very least, you should save your money until a consensus appears. I'm betting that this game is going to be listed as one of the (if not *the*) biggest disappointments of 2011.
  49. Mar 11, 2011
    An excellent role-playing game, and a logical and direct evolution of the previous game, more action-focused and more polished, although its action focus won't please everyone.
    (c)
  50. Mar 29, 2011
    A genuinely involving and finely crafted experience. The combination of the new art style, combat system, dialogue system, characters and setting go to show that Bioware are the best in their field. Everything hasn't just been streamlined from DA:O, it's been refined into a fine powder and liberally poured over the cake of western RPGs to an effect that just keeps on working. Yes their areA genuinely involving and finely crafted experience. The combination of the new art style, combat system, dialogue system, characters and setting go to show that Bioware are the best in their field. Everything hasn't just been streamlined from DA:O, it's been refined into a fine powder and liberally poured over the cake of western RPGs to an effect that just keeps on working. Yes their are shamelessly reused areas, but since when did you play a Bioware RPG for the scenery? The mechanics are slick, the characters feel as peopley as possible (peopley is a word...shush), the story very much tugging between the personal and the epic in that way that fantasy should. It's different, but that's what sequels are meant to do. If you wanted the exact same experience as DA:O then go play that, or if the concept of a new experience in the same series is too much for you, just sod off back to Blops and leave everyone everywhere alone forever. If that's cool? Expand
  51. Mar 15, 2011
    This game.. This game has been severly trolled, and i don't know why. It's really a great game. It has great VO work, an involving story, great gameplay and an innovative way to tell the story ending of where it begins. It has its flaws though, like the UI being somewhat of a hazzle and plenty of bugs. But nothing gamebreaking and the latter should be fixed in a not too distant future.

If

If i where to compare it to anything it would be kotor 2. Slightly worse than it's predecessor in some ways but better in a few. Also being rushed for reasons to me not apparent, if it hadn't have been it might for me had been a perfect game.
  52. Mar 15, 2011
    First off, this is a great game. If you are expecting a classic RPG like Baldur's Gate, this game is not it. In my opinion, the only people that should gripe about that aspect of this game are people playing the PC version. The "classic RPG" does not translate well on a console. I think the game play mechanics are an improvement over DAO. The story is excellent and moves the gameFirst off, this is a great game. If you are expecting a classic RPG like Baldur's Gate, this game is not it. In my opinion, the only people that should gripe about that aspect of this game are people playing the PC version. The "classic RPG" does not translate well on a console. I think the game play mechanics are an improvement over DAO. The story is excellent and moves the game alone at an enjoyable pace. The story is exactly what everyone has come to expect from a Bioware game. You definitely can see the resemblance to ME2 with the updated interface. I did not run into any major bugs during my play through. If you liked DOA, you should pick this game up. Expand
  53. Mar 15, 2011
    Its funny to see all the people burning bioware saying they will never play one of their games again. Its true the game is not nearly as good as the first, and I too felt a little betrayed. I loved bioware games and felt they tried to make it to much life mass effect style...which even though is one of my favorite games did not want that style in da2. Then I got over it, I just look at da2Its funny to see all the people burning bioware saying they will never play one of their games again. Its true the game is not nearly as good as the first, and I too felt a little betrayed. I loved bioware games and felt they tried to make it to much life mass effect style...which even though is one of my favorite games did not want that style in da2. Then I got over it, I just look at da2 as a different game entirely not connected to da:o. If you take the game that way I find it easier to take the stinging blow from bioware as they changed the style to be more noob friendly. The game play really isn't that bad, but maybe if they were going this route they should have just renamed the game to...Age of Dragon and made it not connected to the greatness of DA:0 which is why so many people are mad. Its still a pretty fun game so all the people flaming it are simple, as I was; hugely disappointed because we were excepting the classic rpg feeling the first game gave us that was the whole reason we loved it in the first place. The story, not as good still has a sense of every choice is not the right or wrong choice, so if you can forgive them; just have fun like i do and play Age of the Dragon as I call it :) Expand
  54. Mar 16, 2011
    The fast paced combat is one of the greatest improvements I have ever seen in a game. The story was satisfying and interesting. The only negative I experienced, was the repetitive scenery. Personally loved everything else and agree that most of the negativity you see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. Most seem to have been expecting Dragon Age Origins 2.0. All inThe fast paced combat is one of the greatest improvements I have ever seen in a game. The story was satisfying and interesting. The only negative I experienced, was the repetitive scenery. Personally loved everything else and agree that most of the negativity you see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. Most seem to have been expecting Dragon Age Origins 2.0. All in all, the game was worth the money and entertaining. Expand
  55. Mar 24, 2011
    Another engrossing game from Bioware. Combat was intense and still had the complexity of previous dragon age titles, even if there were slightly less spell combinations. Story was very engaging and had plenty of decent plot twists. Only two faults were that I spent most of the game feeling that I was greedy psychopath massacring the poor citizens of Kirkwall for my own personal gain, andAnother engrossing game from Bioware. Combat was intense and still had the complexity of previous dragon age titles, even if there were slightly less spell combinations. Story was very engaging and had plenty of decent plot twists. Only two faults were that I spent most of the game feeling that I was greedy psychopath massacring the poor citizens of Kirkwall for my own personal gain, and the limited number of enivroments that the game is set in, Expand
  56. Mar 27, 2011
    Pros:
    -Likeable cast with emphasized individuality
    -improved performance -improved character design -greater depth to the combat tactics menu -Interactions with party members feel more personal -combat works better on console -improved spell effects -cross-class combos Cons -repetitive environments -lack of a tactical view during combat -main story lacked cohesion Score
    Pros:
    -Likeable cast with emphasized individuality
    -improved performance
    -improved character design
    -greater depth to the combat tactics menu
    -Interactions with party members feel more personal
    -combat works better on console
    -improved spell effects
    -cross-class combos

Cons
    -repetitive environments
    -lack of a tactical view during combat
    -main story lacked cohesion

Score representing my overall enjoyment of the game: 9/10

Roguish98
  57. Apr 5, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is fantastic. The 'Story within a Story' perspective is outstanding, and I love the fact that the gameplay has a stream-lined, action oriented feel to it. The story itself and the dialogue that goes with it are fun and engaging, and really play on the fact that the story is being told by someone else. I really enjoyed DAO, and I think DA2 is a great experience in a worldDragon Age 2 is fantastic. The 'Story within a Story' perspective is outstanding, and I love the fact that the gameplay has a stream-lined, action oriented feel to it. The story itself and the dialogue that goes with it are fun and engaging, and really play on the fact that the story is being told by someone else. I really enjoyed DAO, and I think DA2 is a great experience in a world crafted by one of the gaming industry's most dedicated and inventive developers. Bioware are outstanding.
    The bottom line is: This game is fun. Do yourself a favour and play it.:)
  58. Mar 11, 2011
    I've been playing Bioware games for almost as long as I've been playing games period, and I enjoyed this game a great deal. The skill trees are a substantial improvement over those of DA:O, and the story, while very different from the more clearly defined story of DA:O, was interesting, especially with the way companions can impact it. The removal of the DA:O crafting system wasI've been playing Bioware games for almost as long as I've been playing games period, and I enjoyed this game a great deal. The skill trees are a substantial improvement over those of DA:O, and the story, while very different from the more clearly defined story of DA:O, was interesting, especially with the way companions can impact it. The removal of the DA:O crafting system was disappointing, especially because crafting in this less constrained skill tree could have been very interesting, and the telegraphing of dialogue options was annoying, but overall, the core of the game was well done. While I understand that people have different opinions regarding games, I do feel that some of these complaints come from playing on too low of a difficulty setting. While I would agree with those who say that the game's default setting should be a solid way to experience it, I found myself using essentially the same tactics, that I used in DA:O on nightmare. Additionally, I think people may be idealizing their memory of DA:O fights - there seems to be some criticism of the monotony of DA2 fights, but there are at least as many complex and challenging fights in DA2, and the most interesting fights in DA2 are easily as good as the best of DA:O. Expand
  59. Mar 14, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 has its ups and downs. Has better gameplay then Origins, better character customization imo, and the game actually runs better then Origins and only crashed once through the whole game unlike Origins with at least a dozen crashes. This game also has cons, the story is a downgrade, nowhere near as epic as Origins was until the end of the game, lack of darkspawn is a let downDragon Age 2 has its ups and downs. Has better gameplay then Origins, better character customization imo, and the game actually runs better then Origins and only crashed once through the whole game unlike Origins with at least a dozen crashes. This game also has cons, the story is a downgrade, nowhere near as epic as Origins was until the end of the game, lack of darkspawn is a let down even though it takes place after the blight, and other things. Overall its a fun game, don't play it expecting it to be Origins. Expand
  60. Mar 15, 2011
    Dragon Age II is great sequel to Dragon Age. It feels more like Mass Effect 2, which I think was Bioware's idea. Some aspects of the game were made more simple which probably alienates some hardcore RPG fans. But for me the game feels like a novel in a book series, and I can enjoy the game and the story, rather than spend most of my time finding better equipment and leveling to survive theDragon Age II is great sequel to Dragon Age. It feels more like Mass Effect 2, which I think was Bioware's idea. Some aspects of the game were made more simple which probably alienates some hardcore RPG fans. But for me the game feels like a novel in a book series, and I can enjoy the game and the story, rather than spend most of my time finding better equipment and leveling to survive the game. All in all a great game, and I have high hopes for future DLCs and Dragon Age III. Expand
  61. Mar 15, 2011
    I love this game, but I I think that Dragon Age Origins is much more of an RPG than this game. Dragon Age II feels more like a cheep Mass Effect game, which the Dragon Age Origins feels like something more original.
  62. Mar 15, 2011
    The best thing to remember when reading a review of dragon age 2 is that the majority of professional reviewers will never make it even half way through a game before having to write their review. My review however is compiled by some one who has not only finished the game but played through parts of it multiple ways. While Dragon Age 2 isn't necessarily a bad game it is hard to compareThe best thing to remember when reading a review of dragon age 2 is that the majority of professional reviewers will never make it even half way through a game before having to write their review. My review however is compiled by some one who has not only finished the game but played through parts of it multiple ways. While Dragon Age 2 isn't necessarily a bad game it is hard to compare it to its predecessor because EA imposed time restrictions which I am hoping are the reasons for DA2' flaws. -What I enjoyed...

Like most Bioware games you will find the story over all to be vary diverse interesting at times, you will find yourself wanting to adventure into some of side quests just to see what happens to some of the generic characters and for the most part you will be rewarded (even if at points it seems like Bioware probably didn't intend for it to happen, "The remains of sister Plinth" quest comes to mind). One thing that DA2 shares with its predecessor are the quirky character interactions, listening to your party talk between battles will often get a laugh out of you (Varric and Fenris conversations are made of win), I truly feel bad for any one who misses out on "The Black Emporium" Dlc that is bundled with the game as the interactions your hound has with the party members (and furniture in your house) are priceless and just add to the sense that these people aren't just set pieces but maybe if you closed out the world around you they could be considered life like. -What I didn't like...

The game is very linear in just about every area, without spending too much time on this it is worth noting that not only does the game not have nearly the scope of DA1, this is probably due to EA imposing massive time restraints on Bioware in order to get Dragon Age 2 to ride on the momentum of the first game (google "Inon Zur dragon age 2 rush job" for more information). One of the biggest disappointments for me however was not the story but visually, the entire game just gives off this feeling of being slapped together. From having to download HD texture packs, to game assets constantly being reused (IE dwarven themed maps being used for general dungeons and the city looking like it was put together with a "tile" based map maker), to the developers being to slack to put certain assets in game (Example: "Oh thank you" says Aveline as you pass her an invisible shield), it is worth noting that at the end of the day I couldn't even turn the game up to higher settings because the game couldn't understand that my computer is ridiculously better than its recommended requirements, which in turn resulted in me playing the game through in DX9 mode on a Windows7 computer. While I said that I enjoyed the character conversation I am going to have to point out that when it comes to actual combat you will grow very tired of your team mates never ending grunts and routinely repeated comments (Yeah Varric we knew it was suicide to fight us the tenth time you said it). When playing you will get the feeling that there probably was not much effort put into beta testing as you will find yourself getting caught on random set pieces, to your character trying to attack enemies that are just not withing reasonable reach (If a character is on a ledge above or on stairs next to you your character will try to attack through the wall, but more often than not hit nothing but fresh air). -The quick and easy?

Dragon Age 2 isn't necessarily a bad game, it is just hard to compare it to Dragon Age: Origins as it just doesn't show the same level of content or quality. However I think if you played DA2 first you could almost forgive it for its flaws as it is essentially a B grade hack and slash more than RPG with some really good character interaction that is really rare in this genre.
  63. Mar 14, 2011
    They have overly streamlined some aspects of the game, such as their being less room for companion customization, and tactics lists, but so far, the game has been phenomenal in other aspects. The storytelling, while not on the scale of DAO is very well done, the companions are an interesting bunch, and the combat is faster paced, but still seeming a bit familiar to the first. There haveThey have overly streamlined some aspects of the game, such as their being less room for companion customization, and tactics lists, but so far, the game has been phenomenal in other aspects. The storytelling, while not on the scale of DAO is very well done, the companions are an interesting bunch, and the combat is faster paced, but still seeming a bit familiar to the first. There have been loads of spam reviews, most of which spawn from players who have not even played this game, mostly due to the games bad marketing. But hear me out. The game may not be the improvement over DAO that some hoped for. It excels in some areas and falters in a few others. But it is still Bioware, and so this game is still something special. Expand
  64. Mar 15, 2011
    If you play more than 6-8 hours it is good, if you play more than 12-15 hours it is really good, and if you play 35-40 hours are you finished :< Its a nice game, down play the demo and say it sucks ore play 2 hours and say it sucks...after a while it gets really exciting and tactical more than DA:O.

PS: I not kidding you i have played each RPG the last 20 years, Dragon age 2 is good!
  65. Mar 12, 2011
    First review, excuse the rambling nature:

First review, excuse the rambling nature:

Very enjoyable game. Gameplay more fluid than predecessor. Graphics better. Graphical style much less generic. Story comparable, if not better. Storytelling of the highest caliber. Characterisation and NPCs top notch. Sadly, character customisation options reduced compared to predecessor, and Bioware games in general. However, player actions seem to be create a greater response in the world, and makes for a more involved experience. Good game length; I finished my first playthrough in 32 hours, and there are things that I missed. Cannot make qualified review of replayability, but I can see myself doing at least two more playthroughs. Excellent pacing of story. Main complaint is the rather lacklustre content of the game's journal/quest log. Great RPG, I recommend buying it. But if ambivalent, wait until price drop and DLC-packages appear.
  66. Mar 14, 2011
    One thing most every negative review has in common? They all either mention this game being a poor Bioware game, or a poor sequel compared to the original. This game is not Dragon Age: Origins in case the title fooled you. I can see how II and Origins look so much alike. There also seems to be confusion about the critics score being so much higher than the gamers, and that is in factOne thing most every negative review has in common? They all either mention this game being a poor Bioware game, or a poor sequel compared to the original. This game is not Dragon Age: Origins in case the title fooled you. I can see how II and Origins look so much alike. There also seems to be confusion about the critics score being so much higher than the gamers, and that is in fact simple to explain. Looking at the game not as a sequel or Bioware game as everyone seems to be doing, but on its own you can see this game is, minus a few issues that could have been cleaned up, quite brilliant. The maps tend to be overused quite a bit, to the point that it is nigh impossible not to notice, but given a choice between this, and five sidequests with original and beautiful maps, I choose the abundance this game offers. I beat the game at just over thirty hours which is a modest amount of time for a game of this type, and while the main plot seemed a bit arbitrary, it does in the end set up a DA III quite nicely. The game is slow to start, with the first third being an arbitrary task to collect a sum of gold, but after this the game really starts to pick up ending with a bang. The combat is much faster than DA:O and for some that is a problem, but for me it was a relief. I enjoy DnD style gameplay as much as the next guy but nobody can argue combat in such a system is slow to progress. On Normal the game comes down to an enjoyable hack and slash experience with some RPG elements thrown in for good measure, but crank up the difficulty and you'll find strategy is a necessity. On Nightmare this game requires every bit of strategy as the original, with a much cleaner interface through which to deliver it. Crafting has been simplified greatly as well, no longer requiring you to have the ingredients on hand. Instead, the hero simply must find the ingredients in the wild once, and they are forever available to you. Conversation has been changed as well, not only giving the hero a voice, but giving you dialogue options akin to Mass Effect, with a series of general points to choose from and the hero actually saying something similar, but not identical, to what you chose. To help determine what the hero will say are icons on the wheel telling the player the type of response it will be, whether thats polite, witty, hostile, or one of the dozen or so other types of responses. In the end, I feel this game deserves an 8 on it's own merit. Whether you like it or not will depend entirely on what you did or did not like about DA:O. Hated the combat? You'd love this game! Loved the DnD aspects of Origins? Not so much... Expand
  67. Mar 14, 2011
    I think all the insanely low scores are just that--a little bit crazy. There's some room for difference in tastes, but DA2 was far better than DAO, hands down. There was a great deal of room for choices and roleplay which aren't usually seen in "roleplaying" games, the combat was stellar, the story even more so.
  68. Mar 25, 2011
    Yes, the maps can get repetitive and boring. Yes, it is disappointing that you are only basically one location throughout the entirety of the game. And yes the second and third acts feel rushed and all too brief in comparison with other Bioware games. However, the gameplay is undeniably better than Origins and the skill tree system of character evolution is a step up from the linear oneYes, the maps can get repetitive and boring. Yes, it is disappointing that you are only basically one location throughout the entirety of the game. And yes the second and third acts feel rushed and all too brief in comparison with other Bioware games. However, the gameplay is undeniably better than Origins and the skill tree system of character evolution is a step up from the linear one seen in Origins. DA2 is a great rags to riches story with its share of triumph and tragedy moments. Most of the characters throughout the game are unique and memorable, and there are a few laugh out loud moments with their dialogue (see Varric and Isabella). I believe DA2 is meant to be a stepping stone for the franchise, sort of another prelude. Much in the way Origins set up the world of the Dragon Age Franchise, DA2 set up the story of the Dragon Age Franchise. Expand
  69. Mar 14, 2011
    DA2 took me 36 hours of gameplay (skipped 10+ quests). Good:
    Bioware games are always about the story - and it is the best story written by David Gaider so far. Connections between DAO/DAA and DA2 are far more complex than in Mass Effect 2. Crafting system was nicely improved. Combat changes may seen controversial, but itâ
  70. Mar 16, 2011
    When I played the first one, I didn't like it that much, the combat was frustrating for me on the 360, and I had to turn EASY some times, The Rogue had the most terrible armor looks and the control of the others party members was terrible. When I played on the PC was my best experience with the game, the combat problems was all sorted out. The fact the main character had no voice wasn'tWhen I played the first one, I didn't like it that much, the combat was frustrating for me on the 360, and I had to turn EASY some times, The Rogue had the most terrible armor looks and the control of the others party members was terrible. When I played on the PC was my best experience with the game, the combat problems was all sorted out. The fact the main character had no voice wasn't something I cared but it did felt weird, after I played Mass effect and they said the character on DRAGON AGE II would be full voiced I though that great because Makes you more into the game, you can be in contact with the world more. The combat on this game IS AWESOME soooooooooo much better than the first one, even from the PC, I think it is great that with mass effect it is 3dpersonSHOOTER/RPG and with this is action/RPG it's different, fun and visceral. My rogue now is wayyyy cooler in the looks and the art style in my honest opinion is beautiful. The story is smaller in greatness compared with the first but I think this is just the start of a BIGGER ARC that they wanted to tell the players it is like with the first was ALL THE PLOT, and this one is the first PART, like BATMAN BEGINS :P. My only complaint is the repetitive maps like caves and inside warehouses that it is kinda tiresome, and the bugs/glitches with the quests that is kinda of a let down but NO WAY should keep you in the way to enjoy this awesome game. I AM SURE the third one is gonna close the mouth of EVERY ONE who is giving this game a bad score. IS NOT a 10 like mass effect 2 but it is definitely is a 9 like the first one In general and 10 in combat/looks.
    Here waiting for another Bioware IP. Spy, western, jade return, super heroes, mafia :P
  71. Mar 16, 2011
    Personally, i am very much enjoying this game. I'm about 30 hours in, and I'm maybe 23rd's of the way through. The story is compelling, if a little unfocused at times, the gameplay is fun and challenging, and the voice acting is mostly solid (except, unfortunately, that of the male lead, much like in Mass Effect. Why hire the talented voic actors for the smaller roles?).

People

People complaining that this is not a roleplaying game seem to lack an understanding of what the genre is, with most of the complaints being that this is not as tactical a game as it's predecessor, which i suppose is true enough, although the harder difficulties still require both skill and strategy. So no, it is not a tactical role playing game, it is action role playing, but roleplaying none the less. You play through a complex, multifaceted story, making key decisions that affect your character, your companions and the surrounding world. This is what i'm after in a RPG, not excessive micromanagement. For that i'll play an RTS thanks. While graphically subpar, I thought this was great fun, and enjoyed it every bit as much as Origins. No, you can no longer change the armour of your companions, but i fail to see the problem, as there are plenty of barbie dolls and fashion games for people who think putting a different coat on a pirate or different armour on an elf girl is integral to the experience. There are similar complaints that you can not make your archer use a sword... Why would your archer use a sword? To me this made the roleplaying more solid, not less. Your companions are people with their own talents, who make thier own choices. They are not simply extensions of the main protagonist.
    Then again, most of these complaints seem to come from those who are angry that Bioware did not simply make the first game all over again. ironically, early fan reviews of origins were every bit as negative, as it was not identical to Baldur's Gate. If you want DA: Origins or baldur;'s gate, then by all means, play them, they are fantastic. Dragon Age 2 is it's own game, and a good one at that.

I was disappointed with the frequently reused maps, and there are a number of bugs I would not expect in a AAA title, which is what stopped this getting a 10 from me.

If your on the fence, try the demo and decide for yourselves. If you go in with an open mind, I think most people will find something to truly enjoy here.
  72. May 7, 2011
    I have very much enjoyed this even more so than I had with the original. FOr me personally Hours =/= Quality There were a lot of parts of the original where I felt were not necessary such as 2-4 hours in the Deep Roads and Fade. But this is not a review for that game but the sequel which I felt it did a lot of things right like I stated earlier. What It did right for me wasI have very much enjoyed this even more so than I had with the original. FOr me personally Hours =/= Quality There were a lot of parts of the original where I felt were not necessary such as 2-4 hours in the Deep Roads and Fade. But this is not a review for that game but the sequel which I felt it did a lot of things right like I stated earlier. What It did right for me was the Voiced Protagonist which is a huge bonus for the game because in the original your character was a catatonic shell which is fine for games like Bathesda or Portal but the game which the camera pans to your character when it isn't needed there was no emotion in your character. Also they added the tone of your character so not only do you get to have a voiced character but you can pick a tone for your character like sarcasm or diplomatic. I can't wait to see if they do this in Mass Effect 3.
    The talent system was overhauled which is a huge benefit because you can actually pick and choose what you wanted to do unlike Origins. I gave it a 9 because there are/were some bugs that made a few of the side quests broken(Which have been patched now) Bioware had also reused most of their maps and then they didn't even hide it you can tell in the minimap its the same area and if a area blocks you off you can clearly see there is another part on the map. Overall I thought it was a fantastic game and doesn't deserve the bombardment of **** users giving it a low rating because its the flavor of the week for them.
  73. Feb 13, 2012
    Now that I've played it, I can see why players pan it. I will agree that there are somethings that I hated about it (such as the lack of changing equipment for other playable characters, and a small world) but the gameplay is very addicting, there is also something to do with 100s of side quest, and the cast of character.
    Making it the best $50 I've ever spent.
  74. Mar 19, 2012
    I played this game a lot. Probably too much, come to think of it. There are many unfair criticisms being lobbed at this game, but as in everything, all the unfair accusations have a root in fair complaints and problems, which Dragon Age II has in abundance. The game is much more linear than it's predecessor, which did alienate a lot of the original fan base. But I find more often thanI played this game a lot. Probably too much, come to think of it. There are many unfair criticisms being lobbed at this game, but as in everything, all the unfair accusations have a root in fair complaints and problems, which Dragon Age II has in abundance. The game is much more linear than it's predecessor, which did alienate a lot of the original fan base. But I find more often than not that RPG gamers are among the worst for their rabid attachment to the past. Games evolve, and that's the way it is. I treat this as an evolution of the first game, and I do believe there were several missteps. Maps were reused, only one environment for the whole game, limited DLC, etc. These things all bugged me, but I took something else away from this game. A promise, for a war akin to the battle against the Reapers in Mass Effect, only this time on an ethnoreligious basis. Only time will tell if Bioware can deliver their promises; and they've done good so far. Expand
  75. Mar 11, 2011
    This game is beautiful. I love the wit in the writing, the cut scenes are gorgeous and the music is so haunting. I don't understand the bad reviews! Why would people want to play the exact same game again? They evolved the combat and if people actually played the game on a decent level of difficulty, they would see that there is still a great level of strategy involved. I think theThis game is beautiful. I love the wit in the writing, the cut scenes are gorgeous and the music is so haunting. I don't understand the bad reviews! Why would people want to play the exact same game again? They evolved the combat and if people actually played the game on a decent level of difficulty, they would see that there is still a great level of strategy involved. I think the developers at BioWare had fun creating this game because it shows in the quality of the work. Thanks so much BioWare! Ignore the zeros and they make no sense and the people providing them probably didn't even unwrap their copy before posting. Expand
  76. Mar 10, 2011
    There's too many minor annoyances to mention - like why did they replace the item icons by generic ones so it's impossible to know what item you have geared up unless you mouse-over.

Or how about the fact that you can now pick locks in plain sight of guards and everyone else right under their nose! Either my memory of DA:O is really terrible, but I think I recall that you couldn't just pick locks in plain sight.

Not to mention these treasure chests are in plain sight in the oddest locations - in DA:O they were in regular places, not in the middle of a busy market but in a back alley.

The layout of the Kirkwall city sucks too - it's far too big with streets being incredibly wide despite almost no people being around. I much prefer DA:O's towns and cities which felt bustling and hectic and cramped - like they should be. Not to mention all the straight angles as if the maps were drawn using a pencil and a ruler.

Ugh, I really really try to like this game but every 10 secs I get slapped in the face by yet another thing they did wrong. Like "the office of the visceral is off limits" yet I can freely open the door, walk in, and loot his treasure chest. This game is soooooo lazy, soooo wrong. It just FEELS wrong - the world doesn't add up. The characters don't behave right, the world doesn't respond the way it should, etc. People trust you for no reason, they want your help for no reason, etc. etc.
  77. Mar 10, 2011
    Bioware punched up the action for this sequel. I was bummed that character creation wasn't as in depth as the original before I played the game, however, I don't even care about that anymore. Good times.
  78. Mar 14, 2011
    I went into the accounts of many of the "0" posters on this site and surprisingly there are literally hundreds of new accounts that have never rated a game on MC before. (Yes at work I had the time to go into hundreds of them) Most of these accounts gave the game a "0" on the Xbox, PC and PS3. It is glaringly obvious that the trolls are alive and well and just want to torpedo what isI went into the accounts of many of the "0" posters on this site and surprisingly there are literally hundreds of new accounts that have never rated a game on MC before. (Yes at work I had the time to go into hundreds of them) Most of these accounts gave the game a "0" on the Xbox, PC and PS3. It is glaringly obvious that the trolls are alive and well and just want to torpedo what is actually a good game.

All nerd rage aside, this is a pretty good game, and I find myself losing hours playing it.

Compared to DA, it has been more streamlined and some RP purists take exception to that and cry that the game sold out. Me, I prefer actually playing the game and not micro managing every little detail, some, but not all.

It is not perfect. I for one hated seeing all that great loot that was soul bound to my character and could not be shared with my group. The combat is simpler as well, and does seem to be easier than in DA. I don't miss getting ganked by a high level Revenant in a low level area, and then have to trek all the way back when I became powerful enough.

All in all, I would give it an 8.5. DA was a better game as far as story, but this game is much more polished and you do not seem to waste as much time as you did in DA.

I always took user scores of games with a grain of salt. Now I definitely know the scores cannot be trusted. It is really too bad, the obvious manipulation of the scores on here really hurt the reputation of Metacritic. I am not one for censorship, but Metacritic should really do something to save itsâ
  79. Mar 10, 2011
    I have always loved Bioware's games. Dragon Age 2 is no exception. Even though the combat may be easier to manage (when compared to Dragon Age Origins) and the environment is repetitive. The game as a whole is ton's of fun. The characters are much better written along with the quests. The combat is much more fluent and fun. The ability upgrade system is much improved. Overall its a great game
  80. Mar 12, 2011
    I dont know what the hell you people are smoking with all these negative reviews.Dragon Age II deserves a 90 easy.You so called gamers giving the game a 1or 2,3,4 simply have an agenda.Anyone looking into buying this game and are a fan of action rpg's or rpg in general,then this game is for you.You can play it just like origins with the pause and set up the stradegy you want,or play itI dont know what the hell you people are smoking with all these negative reviews.Dragon Age II deserves a 90 easy.You so called gamers giving the game a 1or 2,3,4 simply have an agenda.Anyone looking into buying this game and are a fan of action rpg's or rpg in general,then this game is for you.You can play it just like origins with the pause and set up the stradegy you want,or play it like an action game and take it right to your enemy,the choice is all yours.
    The game has plenty to offer with 40 to 60 hours of gameplay.The dialog tree is the same as mass Effect 2 giving the player plenty of choices,and the game realy changes depending on what rout you decide to take.Be the aggressive type,or the gentlemen or even a humorous character.
    Graphics are sweet and the voice overs are some of the best iv'e seen.The battles are realy bloody too.
    There are some things that could of been alil better like the lands you will see over the course of the game.They are sweet looking,but there could have been alittle more variety.You will see some of the same when doing alot of the side missions,and theres a ton of them.
    Im already looking forward to another play through of Dragon Age II.The game is over all a tight package.So jack up the difficulty and get your stradegy on.This one will have your attention for quite some time.
  81. Mar 14, 2011
    The misguided backlash against this game is utterly ridiculous. If you liked Dragon Age Origins, you will love this game. Things have been streamlined A LITTLE (doesnt detract from the game), the graphics are significantly better (people saying the graphics are worse are stupid or havent played the game), characters and story telling are great and the combat is better IMO. Reading theThe misguided backlash against this game is utterly ridiculous. If you liked Dragon Age Origins, you will love this game. Things have been streamlined A LITTLE (doesnt detract from the game), the graphics are significantly better (people saying the graphics are worse are stupid or havent played the game), characters and story telling are great and the combat is better IMO. Reading the comments here, it honestly sounds like most of them havent even played the game and are all just jumping on a band wagon. Dont let their nonsense stop you from checking this game out!!! Expand
  82. Mar 10, 2011
    Play the game before you come to the internet to complain about it people. I played both Origins and I just beat this game and I love it just as much. Give the changes a chance before you condemn them for being "dumbed down." Seriously, the changed help the story and the flow of the game. I can't believe the stupidity of some of the people on here for attacking the game as soon as thePlay the game before you come to the internet to complain about it people. I played both Origins and I just beat this game and I love it just as much. Give the changes a chance before you condemn them for being "dumbed down." Seriously, the changed help the story and the flow of the game. I can't believe the stupidity of some of the people on here for attacking the game as soon as the play it for not being a carbon copy of the original. Expand
  83. Mar 15, 2011
    Excellent game that holds up to it's predecessor quite well. Sure, it has it's share of flaws with the recycling of dungeons as the biggest one, but I'm on my second play through and having a blast with different dialog options and outcomes. Just ignore the zeros from old school RPG elitists still hung up on Baldur's Gate.
  84. Mar 17, 2011
    Okay so this is how it is, Dragon Age 2 is considered both an improvement and a disappointment in surprising ways. Story-wise, Dragon Age 2 is very astonishing and a big improvement from the Origins story. The characters are more interesting and as it should have been in Origins, you can't win over their friendship with random gifts around your journeys. I mean why would you berate yourOkay so this is how it is, Dragon Age 2 is considered both an improvement and a disappointment in surprising ways. Story-wise, Dragon Age 2 is very astonishing and a big improvement from the Origins story. The characters are more interesting and as it should have been in Origins, you can't win over their friendship with random gifts around your journeys. I mean why would you berate your companion with gifts when they only been in the party for 10 minutes? Also you don't have to be your companion's friend as they can also be your rival which is just as interesting. Combat is satisfying and improved, but sorry PC players the consoles win this battle. But heres the bad part, as you know recycled environments is a dirty term in the modern gaming industry and there's plenty of it in Dragon Age 2. Hell, they don't even hide it when you go in the environments. I know you're in a city and every house has the same architecture on the outside, but do they have to have the exact same layout and set of stairs as everyone else? There aren't many glitches surprisingly since this is a RPG. Overall if you look above these flaws you will find a very likable game that is fantastic from start to finish. Expand
  85. Mar 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very epic game! Fights became even more bloody, brutal and fast.Characters in Dragon age has always been able to glory! The most important of the old characters too, can be seen from the last part but it is a huge plus!Yes it is clear that it very short, but it still will force you again it to pass! Expand
  86. Mar 13, 2011
    Good game. Dont listen to all the haters on this website. Rating a game a zero or a 1 is rubbish. The game is truely somewhere between a 7 or 8, just like the first game. IT has its flaws. People on this website have an agenda and are voting 1 and 0 because of that.
  87. Mar 18, 2011
    After seeing these scores i has no choice to make an account a write a review. This game is at least as good as the first with its improved combat system and sheer volume of game. it will be rare to find another game that has this much depth and quality packed into it. Anything under a score of 7 or at least 6 is ridiculous for the quality that this game has. Keep up the good work
  88. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is certainly causing a lot of Asperger style tantrums and itâ
  89. Mar 10, 2011
    I am surprised by the negative user reviews. Some claim DA:2 is too easy and you just hit X to kill things. Maybe on normal difficulty DA:2 is easier than normal difficulty on DA:O (I don't know since I'm playing on Nightmare), but if you put DA:2 on Nightmare difficulty you will have to play the game with the same tactical approach used in DA:O or you will not last long, believe me.I am surprised by the negative user reviews. Some claim DA:2 is too easy and you just hit X to kill things. Maybe on normal difficulty DA:2 is easier than normal difficulty on DA:O (I don't know since I'm playing on Nightmare), but if you put DA:2 on Nightmare difficulty you will have to play the game with the same tactical approach used in DA:O or you will not last long, believe me. Now the only difference in combat is that you have to hit X repeatedly with the character your controlling instead of the character attacking automatically.

As for the graphics, they don't look any better to me, as the professional reviews claim, but the art style of the graphics is definitely different. However, I like the new art style.

As for the story and character development, I'm not very far along yet, but am liking both the story and characters so far.

And as for it being linear and repeating the same places over and over, this does seem to be true, but this doesn't bother me much.

I am enjoying this game more than DA:O!!!
  90. Mar 10, 2011
    So, Dragon Age 2. This is an amazing game which involves a great story, interesting characters and fantastic action. Great job Bioware! I can not wait Mass Effect 3!
  91. Mar 10, 2011
    This sequel has made a lot of changes to streamline the series. However, I'd hardly call these changes "selling out". Most are welcome changes: the dialogue setup with clearer meanings and quicker navigation is a welcome change, as are the major upgrades to graphics and presentation. Others, such as smarter map layout to avoid drawn out wandering, are a good change with some ill benefits;This sequel has made a lot of changes to streamline the series. However, I'd hardly call these changes "selling out". Most are welcome changes: the dialogue setup with clearer meanings and quicker navigation is a welcome change, as are the major upgrades to graphics and presentation. Others, such as smarter map layout to avoid drawn out wandering, are a good change with some ill benefits; in this case, the maps are more linear with less of a sense of actual exploration. We get the same locales in different settings, which brings the benefit of seeing it change over time, but also brings the negative effect of feeling like we've been there too many times already. The frame story is a nice touch, and unlike the Fable series, Bioware has actually made me feel attached to my character while he/she evolves and becomes Champion. The plot twists are actual twists, and as always, Bioware has done a superb job with writing, character development, etc. Giving Hawke a voice was likely their best decision in this sequel.

The game is being unfairly bashed by people who expected an even tougher and longer-winded experience than the last game. Though they have every right to not approve of changes they don't like, this is by no means whatsoever a bad game. It just appeals to a broader audience, and with all of the benefits that brings, it also brings some negative changes. Not everyone can be made happy. It's still a high quality title and one of the best single-player experiences available this year. I highly recommend the purchase.

Though, while I'm here, I'd also like to say that making every character romanceable by any Hawke ruins the narrative element of said romance. Suddenly everyone is bisexual and you can flirt no matter what their perception of Hawke is. It cheapens the value, and I feel not only less invested but also more... I don't know, crude? Dirty? My Hawke is apparently a whore and a pimp all at the same time, and I didn't really want to be. I'm sure they made everyone available to shutup the arguments of "whaaa I want THIS character to be gay/bi", but giving no one a defined preference in gender or personality ruins the idea of romance and cheapens it to very bad polygonal porn. With clothes on. That's the worst kind.

But unlike Fox News, I don't portray the worth of a game in the amount of sexuality it has or doesn't have. There's PLENTY of content to keep you engaged for some time. I'm thirty hours in now, and I've still got quite a ways to go. Don't pay attention to the extremely negative user scores; they really are the vocal minority here.
  92. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find it annoying to see all the lowscore reviews from people that clearly never even finished the first chapter of the game, or in fact never played anything else than the demo. The game is not without a few minor flaws, but is all in all absolutely brilliant. The story isnt as focused as stories usualy are in rpgs but that actualy have a rather posetive effect on the game. Its much more personal and more than anyhting else I praise the choise to finaly abandon the "chosen one" or "save the world approach". The world is brilliant in its complexity, the normal boring "go here and fetch this" sidequests are almost nonexistent. Graphics is a huge improvment over origins and I cant understand anyone that claime the game looks bad or even worse than origins. I have some minor issues with inventory and the dialogue wheel but all in all an excellent game. Expand
  93. May 16, 2011
    It's almost impossible to write a review on Dragon Age 2 without referencing the user reviews. First of all, anyone who criticizes the game for being too hack-and-slash or too easy is being completely ignorant - does anyone check options menus? Combat can be changed to original DA:O style and if you raise difficulty to hard or nightmare I can guarantee it's no cakewalk. Secondly, mostIt's almost impossible to write a review on Dragon Age 2 without referencing the user reviews. First of all, anyone who criticizes the game for being too hack-and-slash or too easy is being completely ignorant - does anyone check options menus? Combat can be changed to original DA:O style and if you raise difficulty to hard or nightmare I can guarantee it's no cakewalk. Secondly, most of the changes made to the game are insignificant (you can no longer equip party members with specific armor pieces, but you can still equip weapons and accessories) and do not alter the overall feel of the universe or the gameplay. The only valid complaint is regarding the environment repetition; some levels are identical to previous levels with different sections closed off, so if environment repetition is a deal-breaker then this aspect could prove to be bothersome (also, being limited to human for character race irked me a bit). Otherwise, if you were a fan of the first game, you should have no problem jumping into the second installment. If you've never played Dragon Age before, expect 30-40 hours for a single playthrough of this action-packed, cinematic, medieval RPG. Expand
  94. Mar 19, 2011
    I only signed up for meta critic to defend this game. the reviews this game is getting from its users are exactly why I don't like to classify myself as a "gamer" here we have a terrific product released so soon after the original, and because it isn't exactly what we wanted it's terrible! frankly even the things I didn't like when
    first I picked up the game I quickly saw why they were
    first I picked up the game I quickly saw why they were changed or added, and by the time I'd played through the game I came to really like many of the changes.
    as far as the mechanics go I understand that it may feel watered down at first, but the simplifications allow for a much faster and more tactile experience. yes the setting and story feels to be less epic, but it really only suffers the way many sequels in fantasy trilogies do, playing through after replaying DA:O as you start to connect the dots you should realize that DA:3 is going to be truly impressive indeed. for a revolutionary third entry the second must necessarily seen like exposition to the first. In any case the beautiful art and colorful storytelling more than redeem any short coming in my mind. and Bio ware would have to fail entirely in their efforts in DA:3 before I would even consider not purchasing DA:4
  95. Mar 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sadly lacks the polish of previous BioWare titles, but it's still an enjoyable (Action)-RPG.

Intriguing story, well fleshed out characters, at last a fully voiced PC (with the option to be sarcastic/humorous), like you would expect. This does get tainted by over-the-top combat and constant reuse of the very same environments. Also, as of right now, the game does have quite a few bugs and glitches.
    If those get corrected, it's an enjoyable 8/10 - but no masterpiece. Consider it a set up for DA3. If the bugs won't get fixed, subtract 1-2 points from the score.
  96. Mar 14, 2011
    Extremely disappointing to see so many spam reviews. Not hard to work out which ones!
    DA1 was great fun - i played through it three times, start to finish. DA2 is actually a really good game, the same great Dragon Age world, given an upgrade and polish. Graphics aren't as brilliant as, say, Red Dead Redemption, but hey, Rockstar can't make every game in the world. That said, the character rendering is much improved, the world richer. Characters themselves are more interesting, distinct personalities that aren't so 'ripped straight out of Lord of the Rings' generalizations.
    Controls are much better than DA1, with the new wheel for choosing responses during conversations, and it's so nice to actually be able to hear your character speak!
    Only downside compared to the original is the reduced amount of customization that you can give to your companions. A bit of a shame that there doesn't seem to be any way to upgrade armor and so on - a little feature that I love about RPGs.
    Overall this sits up there nicely for mine in terms of RPGs. I'm a big Baldur's Gate fan on PC, and this is light years beyond the XBox versions of that franchise, and maybe just a step behind the PC version.
  97. Mar 15, 2011
    DA2 Is a extremely fun game, just to start off. The combat is much smoother, the actions are more reactive, and the classes are much more balanced. Roles are easier to assign and carry out now as the addition of more talents allows for more role customization (for example, i use two mages, one for pure damage and one for support, and it works well). And your companions actually carry outDA2 Is a extremely fun game, just to start off. The combat is much smoother, the actions are more reactive, and the classes are much more balanced. Roles are easier to assign and carry out now as the addition of more talents allows for more role customization (for example, i use two mages, one for pure damage and one for support, and it works well). And your companions actually carry out the tactics with almost perfect frequency, instead of healing 5 seconds too late or never using the pushback when being attacked by 80 darkspawn. The combat is good enough for me to say its one of the best combat systems ive ever played with in an rpg. While DA2 is super fun, its not nearly as deep as the first game. The characters are much less unique and all around arent as loveable. Theres no alister in this game, the closest to a interesting character is anders, who isnt as cool as alister still. Also, there are much less character customization options as before, which isnt a huge issue but at first you might feel disappointed (im talking about the lack of races and origins, you can still make your character look however you want). Also, the story is much less engrossing, as at times you forget the point of the game besides carrying out random missions. The biggest flaw i see is the lack of enviornments, as the same 10 places are recycled in every single part of the game. This is a huge dissapointment to me, as enviornments are an integral part of a game to me, as mass effect 2 wouldnt be nearly as cool without seeing the planets and all of their climates, and DA origins wouldnt be as cool without the ice temple dungeon that kicked my butt for 6 hours, (or the fade which kicked my butt for 7 hours, that was the highpoint of DA too me). If you added the new combat system to the things the original DA had, it would be a sequel on the scale of ME2 compared to ME1. Its a very enjoyable game and is definitely a must buy for any RPG fan, but hardcore gamers might see this as a big disappointment, and they definitely should start out on atleast hard difficulty if you enjoy a challenge. You can definitely see that this might have been a rush job based on the recycled environments and lack of character depth or story, but it still is fun enough to keep you playing to level 50 (which takes a long time btw). And btw, dont listen to the super low scores, their just people who either had oversized expectations or are just haters of the DA series. Expand
  98. Mar 21, 2011
    The PC game has much improved graphics, and I do truly enjoy the story telling. What I think bioware missed on was a notion that making the combat simpler would be better. RPG's such as bioware classics have made this area fun. I enjoy complexity as well as a majority of rpg lovers. Another knock is the price. 60 dollars seems quite expensive. I hope this has an expansion likeThe PC game has much improved graphics, and I do truly enjoy the story telling. What I think bioware missed on was a notion that making the combat simpler would be better. RPG's such as bioware classics have made this area fun. I enjoy complexity as well as a majority of rpg lovers. Another knock is the price. 60 dollars seems quite expensive. I hope this has an expansion like Origins: Awakenings. I do think I should add ranks due to arsehats who haven't even played this game giving it a 0-3 rating. No game is worth this unless its a bugfest w/ terrible graphics and broken gameplay. I won't stoop to that level and rate it for what an 'actual' player of the game views it at. Expand
  99. Mar 25, 2011
    Dragon age 2 isn't Dragon Age: Origins, and that's a good thing. Origins was an almost perfect game but i'm glad Bioware decided to mix things up it DA2. There are many things great about this game, but as with many other games as well, it has its down sides.
    Pros:
    Combat has been sped up to increase action Graphics have improved from the original Side missions have been made more
    Pros:
    Side missions have been made more interesting and have a lasting impact
    Having a character that actually talks is nice along with the dialogue wheel
    The story- while it isnt straight forward like DA:O, it has its twists, its cool bosses, and it builds up from the start. The way the game is separated into 3 acts and the way it tells Hawke's story is very well done

Cons: Inventory: only you can change armor and your companions sometimes get upgrades. Also, almost everything you pick up is garbage.
    Characters: while they are very good characters, they don't compare to DA:O characters.
    Romances: again, arent as good as DA:O
    Leveling up: there are a lot more options, which sounds like a good thing, but it really actually isnt because in this game, having a well rounded character isnt the best.

Overall, Dragon Age 2 is a very good game. If you buy it only to compare it to Origins, then you might be disappointed. But if you buy it to play it as its own game then you'll be very happy with the outcome.
  100. Mar 25, 2011
    This game was immense, immersive and enjoyable. It is different than the original, but expands the arc and breadth of the series in a way that has me very excited about future iterations. As for the gameplay mechanics complaints--I really don't get it, there's a difficulty slider for that. Combat has as much depth and complexity as a player would like, assuming the player levels pastThis game was immense, immersive and enjoyable. It is different than the original, but expands the arc and breadth of the series in a way that has me very excited about future iterations. As for the gameplay mechanics complaints--I really don't get it, there's a difficulty slider for that. Combat has as much depth and complexity as a player would like, assuming the player levels past the first two hours before posting a review with a 0 score because the game doesn't have their favorite potion crafting shortcut from the original. The art, animations, and voice acting are beautiful.

The game takes place in three distinct acts, and the quality really shows through in the second and third. What will be really interesting going forward is seeing how the open-endedness of the original (and the sequel, to a lesser extent) is reconciled with the need for a stable canon to build on in future editions. Right now the more perverse imported saves and gameplay choices already don't seem to fit with story arc, and I think that problem will only compound as the threads come together in future editions. The first two games have given us two major characters we really care about, and there is a platform to build on with that in an amazing setting, but something has to give. I lean towards hoping that the designers retcon a reasonable canon going forward...but I also hope that said canon looks a lot like my imports, while somehow resolving the fact that both The Warden and Hawke look a lot like me. Holding the game back from a 10 are the excessive setting reuse and the launch bugs--in my play-through the chronological jumbling of Merrill's companion quest cutscenes was the major one here. That said, the game could have still reached a 10 with a higher ratio of interpersonal cutscenes and role playing to mindless murder of waves of henchmen. The set up is all there--great characters (including art and voice) and a great conversation mechanism, but still not nearly enough relationship catharsis and interaction with those characters! Especially later in the game. The issue of realism and roving hordes of minor enemies could maybe be resolved with a preference slider for random encounters. The implementation solution of completely undeveloped side quests with no depth at all beyond some Twitter-length codex entires and places to go to kill enemies was hollow.
  101. Mar 8, 2011

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. May 1, 2011
    Faulty game mechanics and disappointing maps, combat scenarios and storyline direction aside, Dragon Age II still has a surprising amount of intrigue hidden beneath the blemishes. The depth of character relationships, as well as the complex nature of the world of the Dragon Age franchise are a savior to a game that would otherwise forever be remembered by its mistakes.
  3. Apr 22, 2011
    Above all, it seems like Dragon Age II is an experiment. If you're a fan of the first game and expect a direct continuation, either in story or mechanics, you'll be disappointed. If you're not willing to put up with some rough edges and some mechanics that don't quite work as intended, you'll end up having a hard time. But if you're going for a game that has some of the best storytelling in RPGs in a while, or you're looking for a BioWare RPG to tide yourself over until Mass Effect 3, you won't do much better right now than Dragon Age II.