4.4

1. Mar 8, 2011
    The immersion and combat of this game are unmatched! A truly moving and fun epic. Anything negative you'll see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. For what it is, it is flawlessly executed and endlessly entertaining
  2. Mar 12, 2011
    Dragon Age II is an astoundingly good game. Having now played for around 10 hours I can say with a measured opinion that it has met and surpassed all my expectations. I completed Origins and poured over 112 hours into the game. I am by no means a simple fan boy and would have been bitterly disappointed had I not thought Bioware had put the same level of skill and commitment into the sequel. I have not been disappointed and I fail to see where and why all the user criticism spawns from on this page. I loved Origins and I feel no hesitation in stating that I believe DA2 is a much improved game.
    The pacing is much faster and more exciting, whilst keeping the focus of the narrative throughout - something Origins failed to do at times (there's a Blight going on?).
    The action and fighting dynamics have seriously been improved. Remember people this is the Xbox 360 version we are reviewing and as a console version, it's fighting mechanics have been vastly improved. It's fluid, it's faster and ultimately, it's more exciting. There seems to be a theme arising that people believe it is more like a button basher now. Can I remind you that the sole difference there is that now rather than simply pressing A once and having the character automatically attack, you now do so yourself. I fail to see why this is a negative.
    The story is gripping and the character dynamics and interaction is as superb as it was in the original but with the vast improvement of a fully voiced character. Furthermore, the characters are equally as funny, original and likeable as they were in the original - with the exception of maybe Morrigan (a favourite of mine).
    The graphics are, as expected, a considerable improvement and the scale of Kirkwall is impressive. Another complaint stems from the fact that the majority of the game is played within it's boundaries but this is by no means a bad thing. In fact, it makes perfect sense for the story which is being portrayed.
    Please, if you are considering buying this game, do not be put off by the overtly harsh criticism on this site and do so. If you are a fan of rpgs and most particularly if you enjoyed the first game, I implore you to play this game: you will not regret it.
  3. Mar 8, 2011
    Fantastic Game.. I love all Bioware games. The gameplay is much better than the first version. The story is so much more intriguing, the combat is much more accessible and the best part is the length of the game
  4. Mar 8, 2011
    Hours into this game, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. The combat is leaps and bounds above the original Dragon Age. One thing I urge people to realize is that DA 1 was also similarly linear. The amount of quests in DA 2 seems to be slightly stepped back, but the combat makes up for it. People idealize a game like DA, and inevitably, they will have a problem with any sequel. Probably the same people that had a problem with ME2, as no game would "ever" stack up to ME1. The combat would best be described as a mix between DA 1 and Kotor. Yes, I went there. And this game is good. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters rating the game below 5, they are hardcore nerds mad that the game is now more accessible to a broader audience. This game lives up to all the hype and is a ton of fun to play. Well worth the $60 in my books.
  6. Mar 9, 2011
    Im a level 7 right now and I give this a 10 so far.I find it hard to believe 180 users have played through out this whole game already, then rushed to Metacritic to review it and take the time to warn others of a Illuminati conspiracy of gaming developers taking the fun out of gaming. Most all the negative reviews are from new accounts. Not clever enough trolls.
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    Improved upon in almost every way. More immersive, better storytelling mechanics (especially the fact that relationships develop over a series of years) and combat is just downright more fun. If you think the graphics are worse than the original, you are lying to yourself. The combat is strategic as ever, just FASTER AND MORE FUN. The abilities all actually DO something, unlike DA:O where you spent points on things you would never use. And if you really have a problem with the dialog wheel, go play D&D in your basement. Interactive cinema is what its all about. Expand
  8. Mar 8, 2011
    I find it highly interesting that there are so many user reviews posted, particularly negative reviews, after the game just came out. I will say up front that I have not yet finished Dragon Age, but I am more than half way through. So far, the game is a vast improvement over Origins, from the streamlined combat, to a more central protagonist. To those complaining over the changes to the core mechanics and Bioware's aim at a more casual audience, grow up. If you haven't realized it, developers need to make money, in fact to some extent that's the goal. Appealing to a larger audience doesn't mean they've thrown quality out the window, it just means they've made a smart business decision.

Ranting aside, the combat is more visceral, the story more structured, the graphics substantially upgraded. If your a fan of RPG's and open to change, I can't recommend this game enough. To those who feel scorned by the changes, just stick with it and give it a chance. If after you've fully played it and still come away unimpressed, your entitled to your opinions. Aside from that, giving it a score of 1 and 0 just because you feel let down is an injustice to this game.
  9. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll be quick. This game improves combat for the better, the visuals are a step forward (in the dragon age universe at least) the story is much more..... focused (for lack of a better term) and the characters that bioware introduce to us never seem to feel annoying or useless to a point where you feel like murdering them in their sleep. There are flaws, but honestly, perfection is in the eye of the beholder and when a game of this scope manages to keep everything on track with little to no fat hanging over the side, that spells damn close to perfection in my books. This game is designed to add to the wrecking ball that sits between gamers and non gamers and it does a great job, a lot of super RPG nerds will feel let down and even be angered by the streamlining of the RPG mechanics and the game in general, but if you're like me and enjoy having a fun time and soaking in the story then look no further than dragon age 2. A side note... due to the 1-10 rounding system used here at metacritic it says a 9 for me but its much closer to a 9.3. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2011
    I've loved this game! The dialogue is much improved, the animation is infinitely better than Origins, the characters are a whole lot more fun, and seemingly less archetypal (I've only played for 3 hours), and the voice-acting is superb. Bioware took everything that was good about Origins, and combined it with the wonders of Mass Effect. The only thing I've had some problems with is the long, constant loading screens. Overall though, I've absolutely loved the game. Expand
  11. Mar 8, 2011
    Improving on Dragon Age: Origins in almost every way, Dragon Age II brings a ton of great characters to the series and manages to deftly pack all of the strategy of the console version into a faster, more entertaining combat system. There's a ton of strategy there if you're looking for it (I'm a fan of the Rogue's upgraded Back-to-Back skill coupled with my mage's upgraded Mind Blast - it stuns everyone around you, and the Rogue teleports next to you to deal nothing but Critical Hits to stunned enemies). On the surface somethings have changed since DA:O, but after a few hours it still feels very much like it's predecessor, but with a bevy of solid improvements. Expand
  12. Mar 9, 2011
    Purchased, played for a bit, saw the same levels copy/pasted all over the place. This is a sloppy addition to the dragon age series. A clear cash in, 1 year development time, with bought off reviews and 'high praises' from random people that have clearly been hired to inflate the rating on metacritic.

I just hope Bioware has enough dignity left for a proper DA:O sequel.. god forbid this
    happens to ME.

13. Mar 8, 2011
    The best RPG ever, you never played as fun and tactical party RPG combats, it's the biggest and most interesting town that you ever seen in RPG. There are many player choices with consequences on the story. The story is very well written and will make your eyes wet many times. Some companions are much more attaching than any companion of DAO. DA2 fixes many weakness of DAO, the fights are better balanced and more deep. DAO fights was ridiculously easy and now at Hard difficulty they are hard and at Nightmare it's a real challenge. In DAO the companions was sort of dead puppets once out of the camp. Now they are lively and really participate to the adventure, and even, your companions will influence the evolution of the story. In DAO you had only very few build per class, now in DA2 you have plenty more builds making you character building a lot more fun and deep. In one play through DA2 isn't as long than in DAO, because of the multiples alternatives coming from player choices and companions choose the replays are much more interesting and setup a longer play value with replays. Expand
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    Just really fun. Maybe we expect too much from Bioware. I can see why some people are disappointed, but in the end Dragon Age 2 is an extremely good game, set in a beautiful game world that is really fun to play. Sometimes that is enough.
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    th1s game is so awsome! omggg it deserves like. an 11/10. my mom bot it 4 me 4 my bday an i havnt been able to put it down yet!!!!!!!! the only reson this gaem has a low score is cuz of the mean ppl at **** /v/ board r mad and dont like the game even tho they never playd it so their trying 2 raid medacritic 2 give it a low score by all giving it a 1
  16. Mar 9, 2011
    I was genuinely looking forward to this game. I didn't think DA: O was a perfect game, but it was a solid RPG with only a few little problems could have been ironed out. Expecting that from DA2, I was severely disappointed. It seems the developers were just trying to cash in on the success of the first; this game is ugly, corny, and shallow. DO NOT BUY IT.
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, the low scores for this game are incredible. I understand the fan base of true Bioware RPGs being upset over this simplified version of a great game. When you look at the game as a whole without bias, you find a surprisingly good game. In the end the story elements come together. The small quirks are amazing, and they do feed some nerdcore passions. My main issue is a city that is supposedly filled with refugees and is the largest city in the Free Marches is almost completely empty and pristine. Now I do like the combat system, because on the PC you can truly delve a little deeper into the game. Truth is Bioware is in this business to make money and catering to we few hardcore RPG gamers does not always pay off. Now I wait for 8 mos till Elder Scrolls: Skyrim hits the market. Expand
  18. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is AWESOME! Don't believe all the obvious trolls out there. They fixed all my complaints with Origins and I'm having a blast playing this game. It's obvious that the people who are giving crappy reviews haven't even played the game. Buy it! You won't be disappointed.
  19. Mar 9, 2011
    Loads of improvements over the original. Main character being voiced is a huge plus. Genuinely care about what I'm doing. About half way through and really enjoying it.
  20. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, F-ing priks! Go play the game and stop trolling like this! Just because you don't care for the direction the game is going, you shouldn't spam MC like this. Ha, those 144 0's and 1's are probably from all the PC gamers left. Get a console and stop crying.
  21. Mar 9, 2011
    Im giving this game a 10 just because the low review scores are absolutely unjustifiable. This game is far from a perfect 10 but its also far from a 0. Come on people if you are going to write a review on this game atleast make it somewhat believable. Dragon Age Origins may have more memorable characters but this games graphics, combat, and story are way better than the first. Im certain that atleast half of the negative reviews are from people who have never even played the freaking game. Expand
  22. Mar 9, 2011
    I have loved it so far. Still getting used to it. My only griped is the inventory system. I really enjoyed the DA:O setup and being able to customize everyone. This is a great game though.
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    What's with all the trolls? I am about 9 hours into the game and loving it. This morning at work all i could think of was getting back to the game. The story is fantastic, the graphics are much better than the original, and the combat is fun in medium, and quite challenging in hard. A great game from BioWare!
  24. Mar 9, 2011
    After seeing all these negative review scores, I had to create an account to chime in. I was hesitant at first to believe that Dragon Age 2 would be better than DAO, but after playing all my fears were erased. The character customization is better, the itemization is better, the VO acting is better, the combat is WAY better, and everything else has been streamlined. I went back to play DAO after my first session in DA2 as a comparison and i realized how clunky it really was. DA2 ftw Expand
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    A great follow up to Origins. Bioware has changed enough of the menus and controls to keep it fresh yet familiar. The graphics are superb and the music sets the right mood. One thing that was kind of a disappoint in Origins was the "silent hero" problem but that has been addressed with solid voice acting. You are also able to import your decisions from Origins and Awakening into DA2. Even RPG fans that didn't enjoy the first Dragon Age should give this one a shot. Remember this is just my opinion but I hope you will find it helpful. Expand
  26. Mar 9, 2011
    What an amazing game.
    Engaging, beautiful, fun and exciting.
    You don't have to be a hardcore RPG player to become involved in a long, detailed fantasy storyline.
    I think the people bashing this game are just trying to be RPG snobs and can't stand the fact that you no longer have to roll dice to slice someone's head off.
  27. Mar 10, 2011
    I am surprised by the negative user reviews. Some claim DA:2 is too easy and you just hit X to kill things. Maybe on normal difficulty DA:2 is easier than normal difficulty on DA:O (I don't know since I'm playing on Nightmare), but if you put DA:2 on Nightmare difficulty you will have to play the game with the same tactical approach used in DA:O or you will not last long, believe me. Now the only difference in combat is that you have to hit X repeatedly with the character your controlling instead of the character attacking automatically.

As for the graphics, they don't look any better to me, as the professional reviews claim, but the art style of the graphics is definitely different. However, I like the new art style.

As for the story and character development, I'm not very far along yet, but am liking both the story and characters so far.

And as for it being linear and repeating the same places over and over, this does seem to be true, but this doesn't bother me much.

I am enjoying this game more than DA:O!!!
  28. Mar 9, 2011
    I've practically lived in this game for the last two days (spring break, don't judge me) and I am very pleased. I liked the last Dragon Age, but the combat was a real chore (especially for Xbox players). I used to play on the easiest difficulty because I just wanted to experience the story without all of the burdensome controls and clunky mechanics. The new combat system is visceral and immediate - much like Jade Empire, if anyone wants a good reference. Interactions are excellent; voice acting, graphics, story-telling are all superb. Unlike the last game, I actively sought each and every side quest I could find simply because almost every one of them guarantees a memorable experience. My two complaints are the lack of choice in the beginning - you HAVE to be a male human - and the framed narrative nonsense. The story is told in chunks, leaving large gaps of missing time in the life of Hawke. The worst part of it is that you are given very little insight into what happens during these breaks of time, and it sorely breaks up the pacing of the narrative. Still, a great improvement to the previous entry (at least for console gamers). I absolutely recommend this game for RPG and action fans alike. I am about 15 hours in after just 2 days; it is that addictive. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2011
    This is a fantastic piece of work. There are a lot of haters being haters for that reason and no other. I'm sure if they actually gave the game a solid effort, they would realize how foolish they sound. It's not the same as DA0 for sure, and a person needs to go in realizing that, but being open to what the game is presenting. I love it. I highly recommend it.
  30. Mar 10, 2011
    Play the game before you come to the internet to complain about it people. I played both Origins and I just beat this game and I love it just as much. Give the changes a chance before you condemn them for being "dumbed down." Seriously, the changed help the story and the flow of the game. I can't believe the stupidity of some of the people on here for attacking the game as soon as the play it for not being a carbon copy of the original. Expand
  31. Mar 11, 2011
    This game is beautiful. I love the wit in the writing, the cut scenes are gorgeous and the music is so haunting. I don't understand the bad reviews! Why would people want to play the exact same game again? They evolved the combat and if people actually played the game on a decent level of difficulty, they would see that there is still a great level of strategy involved. I think the developers at BioWare had fun creating this game because it shows in the quality of the work. Thanks so much BioWare! Ignore the zeros and they make no sense and the people providing them probably didn't even unwrap their copy before posting. Expand
  32. Mar 11, 2011
    I have to say Dragon Age 2 is 1000 times better than Dragon age origins. I played Dragon Age Origins about 38 times but Dragon age 2 i am playining to play about 60 times. And the idea for a Hack-and-slash RPG is fantastic. A 10!!!
  33. Mar 10, 2011
    BioWare has given us another gem, despite some oversimplifications found in Dragon Age 2. While the game takes a couple steps back with the remove of party member armor and weapon management and the cutting down on talents and spells, it takes many more steps forwards elsewhere. First of all is the setting. Kirkwall feels like a living, breathing city, and a place that was alive long before the player steps into the scene. There is some repetition due to the game being focused on one place, but this is overshadowed by the deepness of Kirkwall. Beyond that, the story is one of the most well-told in gaming. It provides us glimpses of our character (a semi-predefined human named Hawke) through out a decade of her (or his) life. Hawke is voiced dynamically enough to cater to the player's preference to define her personality. The dialogue options avoid the forced morality of Mass Effect and simple allow the players to characterize the hero as they wish. I won't be giving any spoilers here, but you can rest assured that the well-written narrative and characters you've come to expect from BioWare are here. Then there's the combat. It allows the players to think tactfully while also keeping them engaged. Auto-attack is removed (but will be patched in soon for those who miss it), which gives the player more of a feeling of involvement and control. It's faster paced than Dragon Age: Origins, but it's not a hack and slash game (don't believe me? Ask a God of War or Bayonetta enthusiast what they think). The same underlying mechanisms of the Origins combat are present in Dragon Age 2, but with things more visceral and quick-paced. It's a satisfying experience, no matter what class you play. In short, Dragon Age 2 is a marked improvement over the first game and a welcome addition into the pantheon of BioWare classics. Expand
  34. Mar 9, 2011
    I love the new updates to the races and overall art style. Very Sharp! Definitly worth picking up.
    The progression, while different from DA:O, is streamlined and very slick.
  35. Mar 10, 2011
    Why slander this game people. All these minor details your all nitpicking at are irrelevant, no game is perfect, they all have flaws. Don't take it so seriously, just enjoy the ride and chill!!
  36. Mar 10, 2011
    There's too many minor annoyances to mention - like why did they replace the item icons by generic ones so it's impossible to know what item you have geared up unless you mouse-over.

Or how about the fact that you can now pick locks in plain sight of guards and everyone else right under their nose! Either my memory of DA:O is really terrible, but I think I recall that you couldn't just
    pick locks in plain sight.

Not to mention these treasure chests are in plain sight in the oddest locations - in DA:O they were in regular places, not in the middle of a busy market but in a back alley.

The layout of the Kirkwall city sucks too - it's far too big with streets being incredibly wide despite almost no people being around. I much prefer DA:O's towns and cities which felt bustling and hectic and cramped - like they should be. Not to mention all the straight angles as if the maps were drawn using a pencil and a ruler.

Ugh, I really really try to like this game but every 10 secs I get slapped in the face by yet another thing they did wrong. Like "the office of the visceral is off limits" yet I can freely open the door, walk in, and loot his treasure chest. This game is soooooo lazy, soooo wrong. It just FEELS wrong - the world doesn't add up. The characters don't behave right, the world doesn't respond the way it should, etc. People trust you for no reason, they want your help for no reason, etc. etc.
  37. Mar 10, 2011
    Bioware punched up the action for this sequel. I was bummed that character creation wasn't as in depth as the original before I played the game, however, I don't even care about that anymore. Good times.
  38. Mar 10, 2011
    So, Dragon Age 2. This is an amazing game which involves a great story, interesting characters and fantastic action. Great job Bioware! I can not wait Mass Effect 3!
  39. Mar 10, 2011
    well done, bioware!! you managed to do it again. loving the new action combat and feel like it all plays much faster. the story is easier to get through, too. interesting improvements while maintaining the DA goodness. hope some of these changes will get into mass effect 3, too.
  40. Mar 11, 2011
    An excellent role-playing game, and a logical and direct evolution of the previous game, more action-focused and more polished, although its action focus won't please everyone.
    (c)
  41. Mar 10, 2011
    Oh, my goodness. I'm utterly disappointed by all of you who wrote your negative review, you're all such a disgrace to the gaming community. Guys, i'm writing a review for the GameOfTheYear 2011, believe it or not. The graphics are simply PERFECT, the atmosphere is so immersing that after an hour's game-play there's a feeling that you actually LIVED that thing you just played, the dialogues are so real that you think you're watching a hollywood movie , the scenario looks very very promising as I just played the game for 3 hours yet, and now for the combat system. THE COMBAT SYSTEM IS SO FULL OF WIN, DYNAMIC AND JUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. In DA1 the warrior slashed with his great sword every 4 seconds, now it's half a second. If you think that's disgraceful for DA2 then think twice. YOU are disgraceful in front of an excellent game that every single person called a gamer must play. And if you think that's it's so easy, try Hard or even Nightmare! Word. Expand
  42. Mar 11, 2011
    BioWare has done it again with their most fantastic title to date! Everything from the character interaction to the graphics have been fleshed out making Dragon Age IIâ
  43. Mar 10, 2011
    Game is very good if we are thinking about xbox version. I don't know why so many people gave it so low score. One disadvantage is simplification of equipment of our team. I can't understand why bioware didn't left it. Howevery the story is very good, characters also, even graphic after few hours look good. I know that in PC version lack of izometric point of view can dissapoint, however on xbox and PS3 there wasn't such possibility also in Dragone Age: Origin and honestly I can't see big differences between that games so why so many people is crying??? I would gave it 8,5/10, however to help that game fight with not fair scores as 0 and 1/10 I gave it 10!!! Expand
  44. Mar 9, 2011
    I believe most of the people reviewing this game are haters. No one who likes this game has been able to pull themselves away long enough to write a review, I have to imagine. Even 15 hours into the game, I'm barely able to waste this much time, rather than playing this amazing game Bioware's created. I don't know if it's because Bioware usually makes such good turn-based games, and this one is more action-based, that people can't accept this game, or if it's due to bad press pre-release and everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. But this is a good game. No, this is a great game, and by nearly every metric. The combat is intuitive, yet as difficult and complex as you want to make it. The more I play this game, the more I love it. There are, admittedly, some things that DA2 does worse than DA: Origins, much in the manner that Mass Effect 2 was worse in some regards to the original Mass Effect. However, these things are few and far between. The writing, graphics and storyline are all improved in this game from the first. And, after getting used to it, I believe the combat system is at least as good as the old one, if not better. You get a true rush of adrenaline in some major fights. Absent, mainly from the original title. This game is so good, in fact, that I'm utterly and completely bewildered by many people's responses on here. Very little was dumbed down here, contrary to belief. In regards to world-building, character development and voice acting, the game achieves the same grandeur as, or in many cases surpsasses, it's predecessor. I know I'm not going to change any one's opinion who hates the game, but I give this game a very solid 9 out of 10, with leanings toward the higher end of the 9.Xs. This is, simply put, the best gaming experience I've had in years. Expand
  45. Mar 9, 2011
    I keep reading a lot of "compared to DAO" critiques when really, this game is not DAO. DAO was a behemoth of an adventure. DA II is slicker and slimmer than the original but not dumber. The storytelling style keeps you moving along the plot nicely, the combat just, well, just feels Good. The opening scene hooked me completely. I have to say, I find that I do not miss playing dress up with my followers the way I thought I would. I find not having to micromanage my inventory constantly freeing and gives me more quality play time. I can't tell you how it ends because, well, I have a life and I haven't finished it yet but so far I'm more than pleasantly surprised by the awesome factor. If the game keeps this up, I may like it even better than DAO. Already DA II feels like a bridge to the Real sequel - much the same way ME II felt like a short stop on the way to ME III. I will be disappointed if DA III is not, shall we say, more robust than DA II but it certainly hits the spot until the next full course comes around. Expand
  46. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is incredibly impressive, the story, the gameplay, and the overall experience are solid. Yes it is true that you can mash buttons and be marginally successful but if you take the time to customize your character, items, abilities and overall fighting style than this game will be well worth every penny you pay for it. The fact that you spend the majority of the game in the same city is a little bothersome but the fact that the city does have differences and areas that make the environment much more enjoyable than expected. This game has done little to advance the RPG genre but what it has done is take the good aspects of many other RPGs and mash them into one very enjoyable experience. I enjoyed the game and cannot am already working on my second play through. Don't listen to these other wannabee critics. This game is solid, definitely not perfect but fun all the less. Expand
  47. Mar 9, 2011
    Good thing for us, in this case it is easy to tell who is trolling. Anyone who mentions the fact that the graphics are of a lesser/equal quality then DA:O is obviously trolling. The graphics go way beyond what has been seen in the previous games. --As for my review, 9.5/10 graphics 9/10 storyline 8/10 on the mechanics and a big thumbs up for the main character being able to talk-- Overall i give a 9/10. Expand
  48. Mar 10, 2011
    Though not as good as Dragon Age: Origins it is still a very enjoyable game. The graphics are better than then the original. Party members are well done. They do re-use environments like caves, warehouses, etc.
  49. Mar 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very epic game! Fights became even more bloody, brutal and fast.Characters in Dragon age has always been able to glory! The most important of the old characters too, can be seen from the last part but it is a huge plus!Yes it is clear that it very short, but it still will force you again it to pass! Expand
  50. Mar 10, 2011
    I have always loved Bioware's games. Dragon Age 2 is no exception. Even though the combat may be easier to manage (when compared to Dragon Age Origins) and the environment is repetitive. The game as a whole is ton's of fun. The characters are much better written along with the quests. The combat is much more fluent and fun. The ability upgrade system is much improved. Overall its a great game
  51. Mar 10, 2011
    I only finished about 25% of Dragon Age Origins. I guess Im just not the old-school pen and paper coverted to console kind of guy. DA2 was quick to get into, has some of the best action RPG graphics I've seen on a console and great dialogue and huge number of quests. The combat is insanley great as a warrior and mage (haven't tried rogue yet). I'm about 50% through the game (I think) and can't stop playing/thinking about it. Ignore the campaign to "teach BioWare a lesson" for not making an RPG for uber-nerds! Expand
  52. Mar 10, 2011
    well, since nobody else seems to feel the need to finish the game before making a decision about it, i will chime in as well. I am thoroughly enjoying the game so far. I loved DA:O, but there were most definitely things I didnt like. DA2 improves on most all of those complaints. well done Bioware
  53. fr0
    Mar 11, 2011
    **** v-ies, plz stop **** brix.
    The game is nextgen of RPG. Mutation with slasher/action3d is in the state of nature.
    Try to replay the game within a month or so, overwhelm your obsolete wishes and expectations.
  54. Mar 11, 2011
    ok, so here's a reasonable review. aka not a zero, or a 10. Dragon Age:Origins came out so recently that everyone, including myself, is comparing the two games. This is not unexpected, see Mass Effect 1 and 2. When compared to DA:O, this game gets a 6. That is, I wanted to play DA:O 2.0 and was let down. While this will hurt sales, the game itself is a solid 8.5. THE GOOD: Your character has a remarkably unique adventure, enhanced by the ability for you to choose. I felt like a **** boss when I was champion of my little town. Voice acting was fun and it kept me engaged, when the story was interesting. The gameplay was smooth and easy to control (and is THE ONLY reason i was able to beat that red dude in a 1v1. HOLY CRAP my build was not meant for that matchup, lol). The supporting cast had goals, past issues, and uncompromising habits. I reached level 20 as i was completing the story. We meet characters from DA:O. The world map interface is pimp and easy for quests. They made items easier to manage. Scenery graphics(water reflection), special effects (spells), character heads/mouths are great. I had no bugs the entire playthrough. Abilities are so varied it's awesome. Also, i had fun playing. It was FUN.

SPOILERS.
    THE BAD: Your particular role is not very important or driven. You are not special and you don't really have a goal(DA:O STOP THE BLIGHT NOW GOGOGOGO! Mass Effect 1: STOP THE EVIL SPECTRE OH **** END OF GALAXY SAVE GALAXY GOGOOGO!) This can cause the perception that the story is 'flat', and if the story is 'flat' the characters in that story seem 'flat'. Think, the Earth is 'flat'. One consequence was that it never SEEMED like there was a main quest line. So all of the quests felt like different ways to get xp. The story fell apart several times for me when i was able to predict it. FIRST MINUTES OF THE GAME: Oh, I have a sister and a mom with me... and it's bioware so they like to kill off characters, yea my sister's dead, and maybe my mom. (i think i could have made it so my sister didn't die, but i didnt care after i saw where it was going, sorry sis). You will never in your life have enough money for all the cool **** some vendors sell. Example, one ring was 100 gold, and i had 50 just before final missions. so if i had wanted , say, 15 of those 100 gold items to deck out my crew... yea gl with that. Protip: just play the game and before the final missions use a money cheat and buy the cool stuff. The world kind of feels the same as DA:O, with 'instanced' parts of towns and forests. But that's bad because it feels small. Like, compared to oblivion,GTA, or whatever with square miles of **** These levels really seem repetitive after a while. Character clothing/gear is still visually not up to par with what it could be. aka when you take an image and stretch it over some polygons. The final boss (for me) was a character I met more than 1/2 way thru the game. I mean, yea she's evil, but... i mean... ok i'll just kill her. im just **** because in DRAGON age 2 you dont win by killing a DRAGON. COMMENTS: The story is presented, it seems, for the exclusive purpose of making DLC's more viable. The end of the story is 'current day'. This is a cool way to tell a story, but i know what they're up to. Even the world map is just READY for another button that says "New Town 1" Also I had sex with almost every character in the game, so that was fun.

THE GOOD: Your character is no one special, but has a remarkably unique adventure, enhanced by the ability for you to choose. I felt like a **** boss when I was champion of my little town. Voice acting was fun and it kept me engaged, when the story was interesting. The gameplay was smooth and easy to control (and is THE ONLY reason i was able to beat that red dude in a 1v1. HOLY CRAP my build was not meant for that matchup, lol). The supporting cast had goals, past issues, uncompromising habits.

SPOILERS.
    THE BAD: Your particular role is not very important or driven. You are not special and you don't really have a goal(DA:O STOP THE BLIGHT NOW GOGOGOGO! Mass Effect 1: STOP THE EVIL SPECTRE OH **** END OF GALAXY SAVE GALAXY GOGOOGO!) This can cause the perception that the story is 'flat', and if the story is 'flat' the characters in that story seem 'flat'. Think, the Earth is 'flat'. The story fell apart several times for me when i was able to predict it.
  55. Mar 11, 2011
    I love RPG games and Dragon Age 2 is no exception...the improved controls only made my gaming experience BETTER, I felt fully imersed in the story and completely felt like I could kick some butt playing as a Mage...love love love it !!
  56. Mar 12, 2011
    I personally love this game. The combat is great, the voice-acting is clever and funny, and tells an epic story. While there are a few bugs, there nothing to complain about. The are tons of side quests; while some may be irrelevant, they are still for to play. Only complaint is that they reuse just about every dungeon. Ignore people complaining that it is a terrible RPG; you can still customize your character and class with more choices then the 1st, the decisions are still there and are actually harder to make, and the inventory system is not gone, just changed, but not in a bad way. For the people thinking this is a medieval Mass Effect, go play that game again and you'd see that while certain aspects are similar, they are almost nothing alike. Most people who play this game said they stopped in the first few hours of a 40 hour game. This is a game that get better farther into the story. So give it chance, and you would regret it Expand
  57. Mar 12, 2011
    I have been a Bioware fan since the good old days. This game is a severe disappointment. I don't think I will be investing much more time beyond the ten hours I have played so far. It is NOT an RPG. It is an action-arcade game with role-playing decorations.

Graphics and Gameplay. The backgrounds. which as other reviewers have pointed out are recycled over and over again, are static: they
    don't move or change. It seems like your characters are moving against a painted landscape. The game is bedeviled with interminable load times between sequences. The voice acting is credible, but bugs in the synch often cause the speech to be delayed until after a character's mouth stops moving. It is much worse than a bad japanese lip-synch job.

The World. There is no open world to explore. Worse yet, it *feels* small. Whenever you leave a small area, you get a menu of other locations to visit. There is no sense of travel or exploration. You just instantly move from place to place. Within any particular location, there is really just one pathway to travel. You really don't have to *find* anything. So, there are no secret locations to discover for yourself. The world itself seems like a set piece and not a living environment. For the most part, the NPCs do not move around. They just stand, sit, or lie in their places. And while the cutscenes are for the most part interesting, there are way too many of them. After a couple hours, you begin to dread passing by a new NPC (who wasn't there the last time you were in the same place), because another long cutscene is sure to interrupt what action there is. This makes it difficult to get any sense of momentum going.

Combat. Combat is *terrible*. While there are lots of interesting graphical effects, there is no need for strategy or figuring out what spells or abilities to use. I'm not kidding about this. What usually happens is that a bunch of monsters appear (as if from nowhere) when you cross a certain point in your path. Then, you just mash the "A" button as fast as you can. You character more or less auto-targets, and when one monster falls, keep mashing "A" and your character moves automatically to attack the next monster. As to abilities, you just watch the timers and mash "X" "Y" or "Z" whenever a particular ability is ready again. Combat is fast paced, TOO fast paced. Really, the combat reminds me of Diablo more than a Bioware RPG. Questing. There are plenty of quests. The problem is, they don't seem to make much sense. The quest log fills up as you experience the endless cutscenes. Sometimes all it takes is for some NPC to mention a place, and a quest related to that place will appear in your quest log the next time you open it. You don't have to agree to take the quest, or even realize that a quest was in the offing. Whenever I opened the log I would be surprised to see a bunch more quests and have no recollection of who assigned them. Fortunately, you don't even have to think about the quests because huge arrows point you to exactly where to go. There is no sense of mystery or discovery, merely working off a long to-do list that somebody else wrote up for you.

The Story. Yawn. Dragon Age: Origins began with a bang: your entire civilization was teetering on the brink of destruction and being overrun with hellish monsters. The story just picked up from there. On the other hand, in Dragon Age 2, the story starts off with you fleeing (cowardly, no?) across the ocean to a new city where you are penniless and friendless. You then start from the bottom and work your way up. It takes too long for the story to get interesting. And what story there is in the first dozen hours of play is uninteresting, overly complicated and confusing. Why do we care about these characters? Why do we even care about the main character? These questions are unanswered for far too long.

Summary. Ugh. I was totally taken by this game, which I preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon. I wish I had two days and $60 back. I think it is not coincidental that as of this writing the major review sites have not published their reviews yet. My guess is they are holding the negative reviews to give Bioware a chance to sell the game for a few days before the bad reviews appear. At the very least, you should save your money until a consensus appears. I'm betting that this game is going to be listed as one of the (if not *the*) biggest disappointments of 2011.
  58. Mar 12, 2011
    The critical reviews for this game make zero sense. Compare this to Fable 3, a game that received a score of 80 (to DA2's current 81). Fable 3 was complete garbage: an awful game that's notably inferior to DA2 in every way. Writing, graphically, stability, gameplay, sound, the list goes on: DA2 is way better than that game in every respect, and yet people who review games for a living basically rate them as equals. Not true. DA2 is an excellent game. I get the impression that people had impossibly high expectations for DA2 and it's coloring their reviews. Frankly some of the comments I've read in these reviews are flat wrong. For example, some have commented that the ability trees have been "dumbed down." This is flat out not true. In DA:O, these trees were very simple and half the abilities or more were completely useless for a given warrior or rogue character because they were outside of the weapon types you wanted that character to use. Thus, every sword and board warrior you wanted to build would be EXACTLY the same: you would fill out the sword and board tree, and ignore the other two. With the new system, I could create two sword and shield warriors who are very different with little difficulty. Having played both this game and DA:O on the xbox, I can say that while DA2 is easier on the standard difficulty than its predecessor, it has more strategic depth.

Most of the complaints seem to lie in the fact that the game takes place in the same area over a period of time instead of traipsing about an entire country, and the more limited scope of the storyline (for once in an RPG you're not being asked to save the world from impending doom). But frankly, I don't think exploration or storytelling has ever been Bioware's strong suit and certainly not in the case of Origins. What Bioware does best is allow you to create your own personal character and story as you move through a very well realized world. And they do this better in DA2 than in any of their previous games. In my opinion, if you like what Bioware brings to the table vs. other RPG development studios, you will love DA2.
  59. Mar 13, 2011
    Good game. Dont listen to all the haters on this website. Rating a game a zero or a 1 is rubbish. The game is truely somewhere between a 7 or 8, just like the first game. IT has its flaws. People on this website have an agenda and are voting 1 and 0 because of that.
  60. Mar 15, 2011
    Dragon Age II is great sequel to Dragon Age. It feels more like Mass Effect 2, which I think was Bioware's idea. Some aspects of the game were made more simple which probably alienates some hardcore RPG fans. But for me the game feels like a novel in a book series, and I can enjoy the game and the story, rather than spend most of my time finding better equipment and leveling to survive the game. All in all a great game, and I have high hopes for future DLCs and Dragon Age III. Expand
  61. Mar 15, 2011
    First I loved Dragon age Origins, so naturally i buy Dragon age 2 , the story is better, the central character is better, the npcs adds so naturally to the history, as a rpg game i think it is one of the best, and i hope for a Dragon age 3, with Hawk starring .
  62. Mar 18, 2011
    After seeing these scores i has no choice to make an account a write a review. This game is at least as good as the first with its improved combat system and sheer volume of game. it will be rare to find another game that has this much depth and quality packed into it. Anything under a score of 7 or at least 6 is ridiculous for the quality that this game has. Keep up the good work
  63. Mar 11, 2011
    I've played alot of games this year and this is definitely the best I've played so far. I think alot of people are very unhappy with the drastic change that Dragon Age has taken. It's very very different from the first, I played the first on the PC and decided to make the switch to the console version after playtesting the demo of both versions, the console version is the best version. The story is fantastic and really takes a hold of you, I checked my game-time stats on Raptr afterwards and I almost choked after I noticed I had been playing for 12 hours straight. I'm actually really enjoying the combat, it's fast and very challenging on the harder difficulties. This is really is one of those Marmite situations where you are going to love it or hate it. Expand
  64. Mar 15, 2011
    I love this game, but I I think that Dragon Age Origins is much more of an RPG than this game. Dragon Age II feels more like a cheep Mass Effect game, which the Dragon Age Origins feels like something more original.
  65. Mar 15, 2011
    The best thing to remember when reading a review of dragon age 2 is that the majority of professional reviewers will never make it even half way through a game before having to write their review. My review however is compiled by some one who has not only finished the game but played through parts of it multiple ways. While Dragon Age 2 isn't necessarily a bad game it is hard to compare it to its predecessor because EA imposed time restrictions which I am hoping are the reasons for DA2' flaws. -What I enjoyed...

Like most Bioware games you will find the story over all to be vary diverse interesting at times, you will find yourself wanting to adventure into some of side quests just to see what happens to some of the generic characters and for the most part you will be rewarded (even if at points it seems like Bioware probably didn't intend for it to happen, "The remains of sister Plinth" quest comes to mind). One thing that DA2 shares with its predecessor are the quirky character interactions, listening to your party talk between battles will often get a laugh out of you (Varric and Fenris conversations are made of win), I truly feel bad for any one who misses out on "The Black Emporium" Dlc that is bundled with the game as the interactions your hound has with the party members (and furniture in your house) are priceless and just add to the sense that these people aren't just set pieces but maybe if you closed out the world around you they could be considered life like. -What I didn't like...

The game is very linear in just about every area, without spending too much time on this it is worth noting that not only does the game not have nearly the scope of DA1, this is probably due to EA imposing massive time restraints on Bioware in order to get Dragon Age 2 to ride on the momentum of the first game (google "Inon Zur dragon age 2 rush job" for more information). One of the biggest disappointments for me however was not the story but visually, the entire game just gives off this feeling of being slapped together. From having to download HD texture packs, to game assets constantly being reused (IE dwarven themed maps being used for general dungeons and the city looking like it was put together with a "tile" based map maker), to the developers being to slack to put certain assets in game (Example: "Oh thank you" says Aveline as you pass her an invisible shield), it is worth noting that at the end of the day I couldn't even turn the game up to higher settings because the game couldn't understand that my computer is ridiculously better than its recommended requirements, which in turn resulted in me playing the game through in DX9 mode on a Windows7 computer. While I said that I enjoyed the character conversation I am going to have to point out that when it comes to actual combat you will grow very tired of your team mates never ending grunts and routinely repeated comments (Yeah Varric we knew it was suicide to fight us the tenth time you said it). When playing you will get the feeling that there probably was not much effort put into beta testing as you will find yourself getting caught on random set pieces, to your character trying to attack enemies that are just not withing reasonable reach (If a character is on a ledge above or on stairs next to you your character will try to attack through the wall, but more often than not hit nothing but fresh air). -The quick and easy?

Dragon Age 2 isn't necessarily a bad game, it is just hard to compare it to Dragon Age: Origins as it just doesn't show the same level of content or quality. However I think if you played DA2 first you could almost forgive it for its flaws as it is essentially a B grade hack and slash more than RPG with some really good character interaction that is really rare in this genre.
  66. Mar 12, 2011
    Truly a classic and can never be topped. Dragon Age II has got it all. Epic drama. Epic graphics. Epic situations. This game surpassed all my greatest expectations to become the best game I've played this gen.
  67. Mar 10, 2011
    This sequel has made a lot of changes to streamline the series. However, I'd hardly call these changes "selling out". Most are welcome changes: the dialogue setup with clearer meanings and quicker navigation is a welcome change, as are the major upgrades to graphics and presentation. Others, such as smarter map layout to avoid drawn out wandering, are a good change with some ill benefits; in this case, the maps are more linear with less of a sense of actual exploration. We get the same locales in different settings, which brings the benefit of seeing it change over time, but also brings the negative effect of feeling like we've been there too many times already. The frame story is a nice touch, and unlike the Fable series, Bioware has actually made me feel attached to my character while he/she evolves and becomes Champion. The plot twists are actual twists, and as always, Bioware has done a superb job with writing, character development, etc. Giving Hawke a voice was likely their best decision in this sequel.

The game is being unfairly bashed by people who expected an even tougher and longer-winded experience than the last game. Though they have every right to not approve of changes they don't like, this is by no means whatsoever a bad game. It just appeals to a broader audience, and with all of the benefits that brings, it also brings some negative changes. Not everyone can be made happy. It's still a high quality title and one of the best single-player experiences available this year. I highly recommend the purchase.

Though, while I'm here, I'd also like to say that making every character romanceable by any Hawke ruins the narrative element of said romance. Suddenly everyone is bisexual and you can flirt no matter what their perception of Hawke is. It cheapens the value, and I feel not only less invested but also more... I don't know, crude? Dirty? My Hawke is apparently a whore and a pimp all at the same time, and I didn't really want to be. I'm sure they made everyone available to shutup the arguments of "whaaa I want THIS character to be gay/bi", but giving no one a defined preference in gender or personality ruins the idea of romance and cheapens it to very bad polygonal porn. With clothes on. That's the worst kind.

But unlike Fox News, I don't portray the worth of a game in the amount of sexuality it has or doesn't have. There's PLENTY of content to keep you engaged for some time. I'm thirty hours in now, and I've still got quite a ways to go. Don't pay attention to the extremely negative user scores; they really are the vocal minority here.
  68. Mar 10, 2011
    i must say that this game is one of those, that you must play based in what you see and NOT in what you read. i just toke a risk buying it, and im pretty happy i did. Certainly the dislikes from ppl came because of the change on the direction on history line and some gameplay changes. i have 7 Hours Playing already, and as RPG fan, this change was quite enjoyable. IS NOT A BAD GAME, but they changed the direction about to DAO. They did Add a little more action to it. They did it more like Mass Effect Style, and that its what some DAO´s fan dont accept. i Love DAO and ME as well, so this DA2 is great for me.

Could be Better? of Course, we can allways Want more from Bioware, this time we was waiting for a lot more. and i think that is the real problem.
  69. Mar 11, 2011
    I've been playing Bioware games for almost as long as I've been playing games period, and I enjoyed this game a great deal. The skill trees are a substantial improvement over those of DA:O, and the story, while very different from the more clearly defined story of DA:O, was interesting, especially with the way companions can impact it. The removal of the DA:O crafting system was disappointing, especially because crafting in this less constrained skill tree could have been very interesting, and the telegraphing of dialogue options was annoying, but overall, the core of the game was well done. While I understand that people have different opinions regarding games, I do feel that some of these complaints come from playing on too low of a difficulty setting. While I would agree with those who say that the game's default setting should be a solid way to experience it, I found myself using essentially the same tactics, that I used in DA:O on nightmare. Additionally, I think people may be idealizing their memory of DA:O fights - there seems to be some criticism of the monotony of DA2 fights, but there are at least as many complex and challenging fights in DA2, and the most interesting fights in DA2 are easily as good as the best of DA:O. Expand
  70. Mar 11, 2011
    This game feels a lot like Baldur's Gate 2 to me. That being said, it's very good. I feel completely immersed, the combat is EXCITING! (unlike the first), and the characters memorable and funny.

Truly loving it, the only thing negative I can say is that it does feel a little "rushed". Still, worth the money. A lot of the negative reviews are simply because it is hard to compete with a
    groundbreaking original. Sequels always have it harder. I played the original right before this one came out and it's still very fresh in my head. Comparing the two is easy for me, Da2 wins. Expand
  71. Mar 11, 2011
    Just finished putting 37 hours into the game. Dragon Age 2 is a slightly different experience than Dragon Age Origins but I found it much more satisfying. Responsive combat, different character classes (that actually control differently) characters you actually care about, mixed with the usual strong writing from Bioware make Dragon Age 2 one of the best RPG's out there. It's not perfect as several environments are reused, the ending's a bit of a cliffhanger, and the whole game takes place in or around one area (think Vagrant Story or Planescape:Torment). Even with these issues I was hooked my entire play-through and am already creating a new character. It's frustrating to see so many people hating on this game and but I hope Bioware keeps with the direction they're going. They've managed to top themselves with each game and I look forward to their next title! Expand
  72. Mar 12, 2011
    I dont know what the hell you people are smoking with all these negative reviews.Dragon Age II deserves a 90 easy.You so called gamers giving the game a 1or 2,3,4 simply have an agenda.Anyone looking into buying this game and are a fan of action rpg's or rpg in general,then this game is for you.You can play it just like origins with the pause and set up the stradegy you want,or play it like an action game and take it right to your enemy,the choice is all yours.
    The game has plenty to offer with 40 to 60 hours of gameplay.The dialog tree is the same as mass Effect 2 giving the player plenty of choices,and the game realy changes depending on what rout you decide to take.Be the aggressive type,or the gentlemen or even a humorous character.
    Graphics are sweet and the voice overs are some of the best iv'e seen.The battles are realy bloody too.
    There are some things that could of been alil better like the lands you will see over the course of the game.They are sweet looking,but there could have been alittle more variety.You will see some of the same when doing alot of the side missions,and theres a ton of them.
    Im already looking forward to another play through of Dragon Age II.The game is over all a tight package.So jack up the difficulty and get your stradegy on.This one will have your attention for quite some time.
  73. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find it annoying to see all the lowscore reviews from people that clearly never even finished the first chapter of the game, or in fact never played anything else than the demo. The game is not without a few minor flaws, but is all in all absolutely brilliant. The story isnt as focused as stories usualy are in rpgs but that actualy have a rather posetive effect on the game. Its much more personal and more than anyhting else I praise the choise to finaly abandon the "chosen one" or "save the world approach". The world is brilliant in its complexity, the normal boring "go here and fetch this" sidequests are almost nonexistent. Graphics is a huge improvment over origins and I cant understand anyone that claime the game looks bad or even worse than origins. I have some minor issues with inventory and the dialogue wheel but all in all an excellent game. Expand
  74. Mar 14, 2011
    The misguided backlash against this game is utterly ridiculous. If you liked Dragon Age Origins, you will love this game. Things have been streamlined A LITTLE (doesnt detract from the game), the graphics are significantly better (people saying the graphics are worse are stupid or havent played the game), characters and story telling are great and the combat is better IMO. Reading the comments here, it honestly sounds like most of them havent even played the game and are all just jumping on a band wagon. Dont let their nonsense stop you from checking this game out!!! Expand
  75. Mar 14, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 has its ups and downs. Has better gameplay then Origins, better character customization imo, and the game actually runs better then Origins and only crashed once through the whole game unlike Origins with at least a dozen crashes. This game also has cons, the story is a downgrade, nowhere near as epic as Origins was until the end of the game, lack of darkspawn is a let down even though it takes place after the blight, and other things. Overall its a fun game, don't play it expecting it to be Origins. Expand
  76. Mar 15, 2011
    The gameplay was much more enjoable that in DA:O against weaker enemies, while big boss fights like the high dragon felt exactly like DA:O. Story/Companions are good. Overall a very funny and enjoable game, better than DA:O
  77. Mar 15, 2011
    C'mon guys those of you who gave it less than 6 are pretty harsh aren't you? What did you expect a perfect game from Bioware? For God's sake if you didn't like the demo why the heck did you buy the game and then **** and moan and give it a zero?! I've played it for 10 hours so far and personally I feel that the story feels more personal this time, I'm quite intrigued by the whole idea of 10 years of the main protaganist's life spanning the entire game. Really interested to see how things will progress from here on. And when you do things in the game it feels like you'll actually building up your reputation and relationships, due to the no so insignificant matter of the main character actually able to speak. That's a welcome addition and personally I feel that it covers whatever the game lacks as compared to DAO. Yeah inventory was simplified and stuff but c'mon did it really matter what your party was equipped with? If all you guys out there wanna compare DAII with Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate or whatever fantasy epic you've put on a pedestal go ahead. And continue to **** and moan and probably not enjoy any of the games coming out now and in the near future cause you guys never will, since no modern rpg will ever match whatever exacting standards you guys have. Don't get me started on those zeros, now those are really insanity at work. Personally I'll give it a 9 because Bioware is one of those companies who consistently push out decent and enjoyable RPGs, despite having to endure the crapstorm that inevitably follows every time people don't like certain changes. Imagine having only Baldur's Gate to play for what the next ten years? I WILL go insane. Anyway just wanted to say a big thank you to the developers for loving what they do and being brave enough to change certain aspects of the game, for better or for worse, rather than spinning out Dragon Age Origins II. Expand
  78. Mar 15, 2011
    I have to give this game a ten just to balance the score! My honest number would be closer to nine

Dragon Age 2 improves a lot of things if you bought the game for PS3. I understand how PC players are frustrated though. Bioware removed the isometric camera and took out certain elements from the game that will most certainly annoy the Baldurs Gate generation. I'm in the third act at the
    moment and the game is very entertaining. The story has more depth this time around and the voice acting works really well. I'm slightly dissappointed with the removal of other races but that's what happens when you decide to give a voice to the main character, compromises compromises.

I would have liked the option of being able to customize the equipment of all your team members but atleast you can give them weapons and rings. People are obviously overreacting at the moment. I don't know how you can justify a score between 0-4 for PS3 version unless you're just trying to troll. YES, DRAGON AGE 2 HAS BEEN CONSOLIFIED. So give a low score in the pc section of metacritic but not here. BOTTOM LINE : DO NOT trust the reviews! Yes, the game has decided to abandon a lot of old school rpg elements but most of these people are just pissed off teenagers and pc elitists from rpgcodex / **** This game is still great if you can appreciate it as a stand alone title. Do not go in expecting to play a remake of the original or Baldurs Gate. It's a consolified action RPG.
  79. May 16, 2011
    It's almost impossible to write a review on Dragon Age 2 without referencing the user reviews. First of all, anyone who criticizes the game for being too hack-and-slash or too easy is being completely ignorant - does anyone check options menus? Combat can be changed to original DA:O style and if you raise difficulty to hard or nightmare I can guarantee it's no cakewalk. Secondly, most of the changes made to the game are insignificant (you can no longer equip party members with specific armor pieces, but you can still equip weapons and accessories) and do not alter the overall feel of the universe or the gameplay. The only valid complaint is regarding the environment repetition; some levels are identical to previous levels with different sections closed off, so if environment repetition is a deal-breaker then this aspect could prove to be bothersome (also, being limited to human for character race irked me a bit). Otherwise, if you were a fan of the first game, you should have no problem jumping into the second installment. If you've never played Dragon Age before, expect 30-40 hours for a single playthrough of this action-packed, cinematic, medieval RPG. Expand
  80. Mar 19, 2011
    I only signed up for meta critic to defend this game. the reviews this game is getting from its users are exactly why I don't like to classify myself as a "gamer" here we have a terrific product released so soon after the original, and because it isn't exactly what we wanted it's terrible! frankly even the things I didn't like when
    first I picked up the game I quickly saw why they were
    changed or added, and by the time I'd played through the game I came to really like many of the changes.
    as far as the mechanics go I understand that it may feel watered down at first, but the simplifications allow for a much faster and more tactile experience. yes the setting and story feels to be less epic, but it really only suffers the way many sequels in fantasy trilogies do, playing through after replaying DA:O as you start to connect the dots you should realize that DA:3 is going to be truly impressive indeed. for a revolutionary third entry the second must necessarily seen like exposition to the first. In any case the beautiful art and colorful storytelling more than redeem any short coming in my mind. and Bio ware would have to fail entirely in their efforts in DA:3 before I would even consider not purchasing DA:4
  81. Jan 28, 2012
    I'm not sure why Metacritic has played host to this massive tirade against DA2, but I'd like to do my part to rectify that. I don't usually like trying to skew the average with my score, and I'd usually give this game a 9, but I'm going to give it a 10 to try to balance out the hordes of people unthinkingly giving this game a 0. DA2 is a fantastic game that improves massively on its predecessor in the only aspect that really counts: the story and the characters in it. The characters are complex and have lives outside of the protagonist's party, and their relationship to you evolves much more organically. The story is unique, well-told and a huge breath of fresh air compared to the stale sword-and-sorcery, kill the horde of bad guys story in Dragon Age Origins. It's the saga of a family and a city. It has some flaws, namely the reused environments and Isabela's breasts, but overall it's a huge improvement, and we need to see more RPGs like it, that take story and characters more seriously than inventory management and combat pacing. Expand
  82. Mar 29, 2011
    A genuinely involving and finely crafted experience. The combination of the new art style, combat system, dialogue system, characters and setting go to show that Bioware are the best in their field. Everything hasn't just been streamlined from DA:O, it's been refined into a fine powder and liberally poured over the cake of western RPGs to an effect that just keeps on working. Yes their are shamelessly reused areas, but since when did you play a Bioware RPG for the scenery? The mechanics are slick, the characters feel as peopley as possible (peopley is a word...shush), the story very much tugging between the personal and the epic in that way that fantasy should. It's different, but that's what sequels are meant to do. If you wanted the exact same experience as DA:O then go play that, or if the concept of a new experience in the same series is too much for you, just sod off back to Blops and leave everyone everywhere alone forever. If that's cool? Expand
  83. Mar 11, 2011
    Haven't finished the game yet, but I'm about 10 or so hours in and really enjoying myself. The dialogue interface is much nicer than the original and the lines are well written and acted. It's honestly just a really cool game. The only thing I find kind of strange about this game is that it doesn't really feel like a proper sequel. To me it feels more like a side-story - something that complements the main story but doesn't really rival it's ambition. That said, there is plenty of game here and I definitely have more room in my life for a 30 hour quest as opposed to the 60 hours of Origins. Expand
  84. Mar 13, 2011
    I can say with confidence, having played most of the RPG that has come out in the last ten years, this is one of the best. The characters are extremely well developed, more like you would find in a fine fantasy novel, than what usually passes for character development in video games. The story is fascinating, and huge. There are MANY things to do , stories to discover, and interesting ideas. There is also a lot to read. There is more depth to this game than the previous, in terms of the ideas that are presented and developed. It is also , a MUCH more original story than its predecessor. Kudos to Bioware for actually doing something original, at the apparently very real risk of alienating some core players, by doing something interesting,original, and VERY compelling. The truth about this game is the EXACT opposite of what those who are disparaging it would have you believe. Bioware did not sell out, the exact opposite is true. They are doing what they have always done, pushing the boundaries of the genre in new and very fascinating ways. Think about it, they could have really cashed in by making the game a direct sequel to the original in every way, but they didn't, they chose to do something worthwhile, they chose to create something original. This game is actually a giant step forward for digital story telling as well as for RPG's. Oh yeah, its also a hell of a lot of fun!!!! Go out and get it! Expand
  85. Mar 12, 2011
    I really don't understand why this game has been rated low from so many people. Its a brilliant game! it has everything, great gameplay, an interesting story which is not predictable and doesnt feel linear, and the graphics are superb. Yes, the majority of the game is set in one town/city, but the variety of quests to be undertaken more than makes up for this. It may be different than Dragon Age Origins, but in my opinion, when taking everything into consideration, it is a much better game. It is the fantasy version of Mass Effect 2, and that got game of the year. Enough said, GET THIS GAME! Expand
  86. Mar 14, 2011
    Overall Dragon Age 2 is an improvement over the first. Combat is less repetitive and much more exciting to play. The storyline is much less epic then DA1 but makes you care of the characters in a special way especially the protagonist. The game follows a huge chunk of the main characters life and every decision you make effects your companions opinion of you and future quests. Graphically it 's far superior however improvements still need to be made. I don't understand DA fans who clamour for auto attacking and less character differences. Expand
  87. Mar 14, 2011
    They have overly streamlined some aspects of the game, such as their being less room for companion customization, and tactics lists, but so far, the game has been phenomenal in other aspects. The storytelling, while not on the scale of DAO is very well done, the companions are an interesting bunch, and the combat is faster paced, but still seeming a bit familiar to the first. There have been loads of spam reviews, most of which spawn from players who have not even played this game, mostly due to the games bad marketing. But hear me out. The game may not be the improvement over DAO that some hoped for. It excels in some areas and falters in a few others. But it is still Bioware, and so this game is still something special. Expand
  88. Mar 11, 2011
    dragon age 2 is FANTASTIC ,its a fantastic game, fantastic gameplay, fantastic graphics and fantastic history. i love it , bioware make a very goods games.I don't know what the rest of these people are talking about.
  89. Mar 11, 2011
    The only reason I'm giving DA2 a 9 is because it is really unforgivable in this day and age and from a developer like Bioware to reuse content so much. A real distraction. Other than that, I actually am really enjoying the whole experience a lot, even though it is different from DAO. This series could really benefit from a more sandbox/GTA:IV type world and more interaction with the environment.
  90. Mar 15, 2011
    If you play more than 6-8 hours it is good, if you play more than 12-15 hours it is really good, and if you play 35-40 hours are you finished :< Its a nice game, down play the demo and say it sucks ore play 2 hours and say it sucks...after a while it gets really exciting and tactical more than DA:O.

PS: I not kidding you i have played each RPG the last 20 years, Dragon age 2 is good!
  91. Mar 11, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG in the world. Unlike the first part of the game is 10 hours and she's fun and interesting. I do not understand people who put her 0 and 1. You even played in it?? Why spoil a game rating? Do nothing else or what?
  92. Mar 11, 2011
    I honestly do not understand why Dragon Age 2 is getting bad reviews from the public. Most of the Critics seemed to enjoy it, as did I, but 425 negative scores in just 3 days??? The graphics while not stunning, is a step up from DA:O, not that graphics really matter. The story was much more personal, which I enjoyed very much. And the game play is pretty much a amped up version of DA:O, combat is frenetic, forcing you to mash the A/X/Mouse button, which didn't bother me that much, mostly because I just now learned that Auto-Attack was in DA:O. All in all, it was a great experience, one that I'll play for a few more months. Expand
  93. Mar 12, 2011
    Don't listen to all the circle jerking Origins fanboys, Dragon Age 2 is a fantastic game. Ok so there is some recycling of environments but that isn't much of a problem when you consider the great story, music, characters and playability. As for the people saying that the game looks terrible, well they obviously need to go to the opticians or stop reviewing the demo. As for the people complaining about the lack of choice If you actually play the game you will find that the choices you make are in the dialogue, choices here effect the outcome of the game. Bioware chose to take this path in developing the game because it drives the narrative in a far better way than it would if you just chose in which direction to wander.

All in all, in my opinion Dragon Age 2 is a fantastic game and quite possibly the best game I have played in the past few years.
  94. Mar 12, 2011
    Probably one of the best narrative experiences out there, the story being dynamic and original. While there is great improvement over DA:Origins there are also great changes, but most of them improve the overall experience. The game isn't perfect but its a very enjoyable product. I recommend you consider the critics ratings over the users for this one, since it seem lots of trolls have flooded the ratings with 0-4 on pure principle...just because they didn't get what they wanted...
    DA2 is a little different but it doesn't make it a horrible game...if given a chance this DA2 is probably the game of 2011...
  95. Mar 12, 2011
    First review, excuse the rambling nature:

Very enjoyable game. Gameplay more fluid than predecessor. Graphics better. Graphical style much less generic. Story comparable, if not better. Storytelling of the highest caliber. Characterisation and NPCs top notch. Sadly, character customisation options reduced compared to predecessor, and Bioware games in general. However, player actions seem
    to be create a greater response in the world, and makes for a more involved experience. Good game length; I finished my first playthrough in 32 hours, and there are things that I missed. Cannot make qualified review of replayability, but I can see myself doing at least two more playthroughs. Excellent pacing of story. Main complaint is the rather lacklustre content of the game's journal/quest log. Great RPG, I recommend buying it. But if ambivalent, wait until price drop and DLC-packages appear. Expand
  96. Mar 13, 2011
    Dragon Age II is even better than I expected it to be. Ok, there are things that were better in the first title like the possibility to give any equipment to our non-main characters or the many different Origins Story and race you could choose your character from. But! The combat system is way better than it was before. Actually, a two-handed warrior is now pretty fun to play with (I thought these guys were too slow in the first game). The combats are a lot more dynamic and that's a very good change.

The new Mass Effect-like conversation wheel works very well (Even better than in ME). I prefer it over the dialogue choices in DA:O. Being able to know if my answer will be humoristic, bad, good or charming is a very good thing.

Every character in the game is enjoyable. They are all pretty badass, actually.
    At the announcement of the game, I was skeptic about the graphic style. But I grew used to it and now I can say it is a good change.

I'm not done with the game yet, but I'm pretty close to the end. I don't see why people hate it so much. It's not that much different from the first game. There is always too much hype. The key to appreciate a game is to play it without reading about it first or even watching too much videos. Then, you like the game as it is, not as you thought/hoped it would be.

Finally, Dragon Age II is a really good game and sequel to Dragon Age: Origins. Bioware did a great work tying both stories together (I LOVE it when they talk about DA:O Warden or Awakening's Warden Commander).
  97. Mar 14, 2011
    This is the best game I have ever played! It's so good i went out and bought 10 more copies just to support Bioware! All the bad reviews for this game are by people who are mad because they can't afford this masterpiece!
  98. Mar 14, 2011
    Anyone calling this game a hack and slash must have started the game on hard, died a few times and put the game on easy mode. That way, yes, you can run through the game with by mashing a and casting whatever spell you think looks coolest at the time. However, if you actually take the time to struggle through the game as it's intended to be played, you'll discover that there's actually a lot going on. Most battles, especially boss battles require careful planning, not just during the battle, but your entire character development throughout the game plays a huge part in how well you'll be able to succeed. A main focus in the game is cross class combos, where one character will put an effect on a character, such as staggered, and another can take advantage of this with a spell or ability that does 4 or 6x damage. In most high level encounters, this is the only way to get through the battle without depleting your potions and having someone get knocked out.

So yes, I can see how gamers unfamiliar with this cool new play style will die repeatedly and turn on "hack and slash" mode, but their inability to play the game right is in no way a testament to the awesomeness that is Dragon Age 2.

The only negatives I would say are the use of repeat dungeon layouts and a few art changes that I didn't like (Qunari all of a sudden have horns), but none of this detracts from the overall greatness of the game.
  99. Mar 14, 2011
    Enchantment? Enchantment! Sandal lyrium addled dwarf and his protective father are back. Act 1 is incredibly boring doing side quests in the same locations with pretty much the same enemies. When you venture the deep roads the game starts to pick up.
  100. Mar 14, 2011
    I think all the insanely low scores are just that--a little bit crazy. There's some room for difference in tastes, but DA2 was far better than DAO, hands down. There was a great deal of room for choices and roleplay which aren't usually seen in "roleplaying" games, the combat was stellar, the story even more so.
  101. Mar 10, 2011

I am enjoying this game more than DA:O!!!

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. May 1, 2011
    Faulty game mechanics and disappointing maps, combat scenarios and storyline direction aside, Dragon Age II still has a surprising amount of intrigue hidden beneath the blemishes. The depth of character relationships, as well as the complex nature of the world of the Dragon Age franchise are a savior to a game that would otherwise forever be remembered by its mistakes.
  3. Apr 22, 2011
    Above all, it seems like Dragon Age II is an experiment. If you're a fan of the first game and expect a direct continuation, either in story or mechanics, you'll be disappointed. If you're not willing to put up with some rough edges and some mechanics that don't quite work as intended, you'll end up having a hard time. But if you're going for a game that has some of the best storytelling in RPGs in a while, or you're looking for a BioWare RPG to tide yourself over until Mass Effect 3, you won't do much better right now than Dragon Age II.