4.4

1. Mar 8, 2011
    The immersion and combat of this game are unmatched! A truly moving and fun epic. Anything negative you'll see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference. For what it is, it is flawlessly executed and endlessly entertaining
  2. Mar 12, 2011
    Dragon Age II is an astoundingly good game. Having now played for around 10 hours I can say with a measured opinion that it has met and surpassed all my expectations. I completed Origins and poured over 112 hours into the game. I am by no means a simple fan boy and would have been bitterly disappointed had I not thought Bioware had put the same level of skill and commitment into the sequel. I have not been disappointed and I fail to see where and why all the user criticism spawns from on this page. I loved Origins and I feel no hesitation in stating that I believe DA2 is a much improved game.
    The pacing is much faster and more exciting, whilst keeping the focus of the narrative throughout - something Origins failed to do at times (there's a Blight going on?).
    The action and fighting dynamics have seriously been improved. Remember people this is the Xbox 360 version we are reviewing and as a console version, it's fighting mechanics have been vastly improved. It's fluid, it's faster and ultimately, it's more exciting. There seems to be a theme arising that people believe it is more like a button basher now. Can I remind you that the sole difference there is that now rather than simply pressing A once and having the character automatically attack, you now do so yourself. I fail to see why this is a negative.
    The story is gripping and the character dynamics and interaction is as superb as it was in the original but with the vast improvement of a fully voiced character. Furthermore, the characters are equally as funny, original and likeable as they were in the original - with the exception of maybe Morrigan (a favourite of mine).
    The graphics are, as expected, a considerable improvement and the scale of Kirkwall is impressive. Another complaint stems from the fact that the majority of the game is played within it's boundaries but this is by no means a bad thing. In fact, it makes perfect sense for the story which is being portrayed.
    Please, if you are considering buying this game, do not be put off by the overtly harsh criticism on this site and do so. If you are a fan of rpgs and most particularly if you enjoyed the first game, I implore you to play this game: you will not regret it.
  3. Mar 8, 2011
    Fantastic Game.. I love all Bioware games. The gameplay is much better than the first version. The story is so much more intriguing, the combat is much more accessible and the best part is the length of the game
  4. Mar 8, 2011
    Hours into this game, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. The combat is leaps and bounds above the original Dragon Age. One thing I urge people to realize is that DA 1 was also similarly linear. The amount of quests in DA 2 seems to be slightly stepped back, but the combat makes up for it. People idealize a game like DA, and inevitably, they will have a problem with any sequel. Probably the same people that had a problem with ME2, as no game would "ever" stack up to ME1. The combat would best be described as a mix between DA 1 and Kotor. Yes, I went there. And this game is good. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters rating the game below 5, they are hardcore nerds mad that the game is now more accessible to a broader audience. This game lives up to all the hype and is a ton of fun to play. Well worth the $60 in my books.
  6. Mar 9, 2011
    Im a level 7 right now and I give this a 10 so far.I find it hard to believe 180 users have played through out this whole game already, then rushed to Metacritic to review it and take the time to warn others of a Illuminati conspiracy of gaming developers taking the fun out of gaming. Most all the negative reviews are from new accounts. Not clever enough trolls.
  7. Mar 9, 2011
    Improved upon in almost every way. More immersive, better storytelling mechanics (especially the fact that relationships develop over a series of years) and combat is just downright more fun. If you think the graphics are worse than the original, you are lying to yourself. The combat is strategic as ever, just FASTER AND MORE FUN. The abilities all actually DO something, unlike DA:O where you spent points on things you would never use. And if you really have a problem with the dialog wheel, go play D&D in your basement. Interactive cinema is what its all about. Expand
  8. Mar 8, 2011
    I find it highly interesting that there are so many user reviews posted, particularly negative reviews, after the game just came out. I will say up front that I have not yet finished Dragon Age, but I am more than half way through. So far, the game is a vast improvement over Origins, from the streamlined combat, to a more central protagonist. To those complaining over the changes to the core mechanics and Bioware's aim at a more casual audience, grow up. If you haven't realized it, developers need to make money, in fact to some extent that's the goal. Appealing to a larger audience doesn't mean they've thrown quality out the window, it just means they've made a smart business decision.

Ranting aside, the combat is more visceral, the story more structured, the graphics substantially upgraded. If your a fan of RPG's and open to change, I can't recommend this game enough. To those who feel scorned by the changes, just stick with it and give it a chance. If after you've fully played it and still come away unimpressed, your entitled to your opinions. Aside from that, giving it a score of 1 and 0 just because you feel let down is an injustice to this game.
  9. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll be quick. This game improves combat for the better, the visuals are a step forward (in the dragon age universe at least) the story is much more..... focused (for lack of a better term) and the characters that bioware introduce to us never seem to feel annoying or useless to a point where you feel like murdering them in their sleep. There are flaws, but honestly, perfection is in the eye of the beholder and when a game of this scope manages to keep everything on track with little to no fat hanging over the side, that spells damn close to perfection in my books. This game is designed to add to the wrecking ball that sits between gamers and non gamers and it does a great job, a lot of super RPG nerds will feel let down and even be angered by the streamlining of the RPG mechanics and the game in general, but if you're like me and enjoy having a fun time and soaking in the story then look no further than dragon age 2. A side note... due to the 1-10 rounding system used here at metacritic it says a 9 for me but its much closer to a 9.3. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2011
    I've loved this game! The dialogue is much improved, the animation is infinitely better than Origins, the characters are a whole lot more fun, and seemingly less archetypal (I've only played for 3 hours), and the voice-acting is superb. Bioware took everything that was good about Origins, and combined it with the wonders of Mass Effect. The only thing I've had some problems with is the long, constant loading screens. Overall though, I've absolutely loved the game. Expand
  11. Mar 8, 2011
    Improving on Dragon Age: Origins in almost every way, Dragon Age II brings a ton of great characters to the series and manages to deftly pack all of the strategy of the console version into a faster, more entertaining combat system. There's a ton of strategy there if you're looking for it (I'm a fan of the Rogue's upgraded Back-to-Back skill coupled with my mage's upgraded Mind Blast - it stuns everyone around you, and the Rogue teleports next to you to deal nothing but Critical Hits to stunned enemies). On the surface somethings have changed since DA:O, but after a few hours it still feels very much like it's predecessor, but with a bevy of solid improvements. Expand
  12. Mar 9, 2011
    Purchased, played for a bit, saw the same levels copy/pasted all over the place. This is a sloppy addition to the dragon age series. A clear cash in, 1 year development time, with bought off reviews and 'high praises' from random people that have clearly been hired to inflate the rating on metacritic.

I just hope Bioware has enough dignity left for a proper DA:O sequel.. god forbid this
    happens to ME.

13. Mar 8, 2011
    The best RPG ever, you never played as fun and tactical party RPG combats, it's the biggest and most interesting town that you ever seen in RPG. There are many player choices with consequences on the story. The story is very well written and will make your eyes wet many times. Some companions are much more attaching than any companion of DAO. DA2 fixes many weakness of DAO, the fights are better balanced and more deep. DAO fights was ridiculously easy and now at Hard difficulty they are hard and at Nightmare it's a real challenge. In DAO the companions was sort of dead puppets once out of the camp. Now they are lively and really participate to the adventure, and even, your companions will influence the evolution of the story. In DAO you had only very few build per class, now in DA2 you have plenty more builds making you character building a lot more fun and deep. In one play through DA2 isn't as long than in DAO, because of the multiples alternatives coming from player choices and companions choose the replays are much more interesting and setup a longer play value with replays. Expand
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    Just really fun. Maybe we expect too much from Bioware. I can see why some people are disappointed, but in the end Dragon Age 2 is an extremely good game, set in a beautiful game world that is really fun to play. Sometimes that is enough.
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    th1s game is so awsome! omggg it deserves like. an 11/10. my mom bot it 4 me 4 my bday an i havnt been able to put it down yet!!!!!!!! the only reson this gaem has a low score is cuz of the mean ppl at **** /v/ board r mad and dont like the game even tho they never playd it so their trying 2 raid medacritic 2 give it a low score by all giving it a 1
  16. Mar 9, 2011
    I was genuinely looking forward to this game. I didn't think DA: O was a perfect game, but it was a solid RPG with only a few little problems could have been ironed out. Expecting that from DA2, I was severely disappointed. It seems the developers were just trying to cash in on the success of the first; this game is ugly, corny, and shallow. DO NOT BUY IT.
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, the low scores for this game are incredible. I understand the fan base of true Bioware RPGs being upset over this simplified version of a great game. When you look at the game as a whole without bias, you find a surprisingly good game. In the end the story elements come together. The small quirks are amazing, and they do feed some nerdcore passions. My main issue is a city that is supposedly filled with refugees and is the largest city in the Free Marches is almost completely empty and pristine. Now I do like the combat system, because on the PC you can truly delve a little deeper into the game. Truth is Bioware is in this business to make money and catering to we few hardcore RPG gamers does not always pay off. Now I wait for 8 mos till Elder Scrolls: Skyrim hits the market. Expand
  18. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is AWESOME! Don't believe all the obvious trolls out there. They fixed all my complaints with Origins and I'm having a blast playing this game. It's obvious that the people who are giving crappy reviews haven't even played the game. Buy it! You won't be disappointed.
  19. Mar 9, 2011
    Loads of improvements over the original. Main character being voiced is a huge plus. Genuinely care about what I'm doing. About half way through and really enjoying it.
  20. Mar 9, 2011
    Wow, F-ing priks! Go play the game and stop trolling like this! Just because you don't care for the direction the game is going, you shouldn't spam MC like this. Ha, those 144 0's and 1's are probably from all the PC gamers left. Get a console and stop crying.
  21. Mar 9, 2011
    Im giving this game a 10 just because the low review scores are absolutely unjustifiable. This game is far from a perfect 10 but its also far from a 0. Come on people if you are going to write a review on this game atleast make it somewhat believable. Dragon Age Origins may have more memorable characters but this games graphics, combat, and story are way better than the first. Im certain that atleast half of the negative reviews are from people who have never even played the freaking game. Expand
  22. Mar 9, 2011
    I have loved it so far. Still getting used to it. My only griped is the inventory system. I really enjoyed the DA:O setup and being able to customize everyone. This is a great game though.
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    What's with all the trolls? I am about 9 hours into the game and loving it. This morning at work all i could think of was getting back to the game. The story is fantastic, the graphics are much better than the original, and the combat is fun in medium, and quite challenging in hard. A great game from BioWare!
  24. Mar 9, 2011
    After seeing all these negative review scores, I had to create an account to chime in. I was hesitant at first to believe that Dragon Age 2 would be better than DAO, but after playing all my fears were erased. The character customization is better, the itemization is better, the VO acting is better, the combat is WAY better, and everything else has been streamlined. I went back to play DAO after my first session in DA2 as a comparison and i realized how clunky it really was. DA2 ftw Expand
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    A great follow up to Origins. Bioware has changed enough of the menus and controls to keep it fresh yet familiar. The graphics are superb and the music sets the right mood. One thing that was kind of a disappoint in Origins was the "silent hero" problem but that has been addressed with solid voice acting. You are also able to import your decisions from Origins and Awakening into DA2. Even RPG fans that didn't enjoy the first Dragon Age should give this one a shot. Remember this is just my opinion but I hope you will find it helpful. Expand
  26. Mar 9, 2011
    What an amazing game.
    Engaging, beautiful, fun and exciting.
    You don't have to be a hardcore RPG player to become involved in a long, detailed fantasy storyline.
    I think the people bashing this game are just trying to be RPG snobs and can't stand the fact that you no longer have to roll dice to slice someone's head off.
  27. Mar 10, 2011
    I am surprised by the negative user reviews. Some claim DA:2 is too easy and you just hit X to kill things. Maybe on normal difficulty DA:2 is easier than normal difficulty on DA:O (I don't know since I'm playing on Nightmare), but if you put DA:2 on Nightmare difficulty you will have to play the game with the same tactical approach used in DA:O or you will not last long, believe me. Now the only difference in combat is that you have to hit X repeatedly with the character your controlling instead of the character attacking automatically.

As for the graphics, they don't look any better to me, as the professional reviews claim, but the art style of the graphics is definitely different. However, I like the new art style.

As for the story and character development, I'm not very far along yet, but am liking both the story and characters so far.

And as for it being linear and repeating the same places over and over, this does seem to be true, but this doesn't bother me much.

I am enjoying this game more than DA:O!!!
  28. Mar 9, 2011
    I've practically lived in this game for the last two days (spring break, don't judge me) and I am very pleased. I liked the last Dragon Age, but the combat was a real chore (especially for Xbox players). I used to play on the easiest difficulty because I just wanted to experience the story without all of the burdensome controls and clunky mechanics. The new combat system is visceral and immediate - much like Jade Empire, if anyone wants a good reference. Interactions are excellent; voice acting, graphics, story-telling are all superb. Unlike the last game, I actively sought each and every side quest I could find simply because almost every one of them guarantees a memorable experience. My two complaints are the lack of choice in the beginning - you HAVE to be a male human - and the framed narrative nonsense. The story is told in chunks, leaving large gaps of missing time in the life of Hawke. The worst part of it is that you are given very little insight into what happens during these breaks of time, and it sorely breaks up the pacing of the narrative. Still, a great improvement to the previous entry (at least for console gamers). I absolutely recommend this game for RPG and action fans alike. I am about 15 hours in after just 2 days; it is that addictive. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2011
    This is a fantastic piece of work. There are a lot of haters being haters for that reason and no other. I'm sure if they actually gave the game a solid effort, they would realize how foolish they sound. It's not the same as DA0 for sure, and a person needs to go in realizing that, but being open to what the game is presenting. I love it. I highly recommend it.
  30. Mar 10, 2011
    Play the game before you come to the internet to complain about it people. I played both Origins and I just beat this game and I love it just as much. Give the changes a chance before you condemn them for being "dumbed down." Seriously, the changed help the story and the flow of the game. I can't believe the stupidity of some of the people on here for attacking the game as soon as the play it for not being a carbon copy of the original. Expand

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. May 1, 2011
    Faulty game mechanics and disappointing maps, combat scenarios and storyline direction aside, Dragon Age II still has a surprising amount of intrigue hidden beneath the blemishes. The depth of character relationships, as well as the complex nature of the world of the Dragon Age franchise are a savior to a game that would otherwise forever be remembered by its mistakes.
  3. Apr 22, 2011
    Above all, it seems like Dragon Age II is an experiment. If you're a fan of the first game and expect a direct continuation, either in story or mechanics, you'll be disappointed. If you're not willing to put up with some rough edges and some mechanics that don't quite work as intended, you'll end up having a hard time. But if you're going for a game that has some of the best storytelling in RPGs in a while, or you're looking for a BioWare RPG to tide yourself over until Mass Effect 3, you won't do much better right now than Dragon Age II.