8.1

1. Jan 14, 2011
    I was happy with this purchase. It was well worth the $20. You can expect close to 20 hours of new gameplay. You get a new cast of characters (and one old). There's lots of loot, experience, and new locales to be had. This is the best of the bunch as far as DA DLC goes.
  2. Apr 6, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyable. Higher ratio of fighting to story than in origins but it was a a great addition to the original. Took me about 23hours to beat which isn't bad for the $15 I paid for it.
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    From reading user comments on the net I was only expecting a bit-part expansion, but there's really quite a lot to get your teeth into here with 5 new companions to get to grips with and a quest which is roughly around the 20 hours mark. Awakening has some really cool environments to adventure in too - most are twists on the familiar, but definitely significantly different enough to feel very fresh and fun. There is a slight over-reliance on codex entries and there's also the odd flash of what's to come in Dragon Age 2 as on the odd, very rare, occasion things feel very streamlined and soulless. But thankfully those occasions are few and far between and the overall package is a great little addition to DA:O. If you liked DA:O buy without haste, there's far more to be fun to be had in the 20 odd hours here than there is in all of DA 2. Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2012
    This is really a fantastic expansion pack that almost qualifies as a game on it's own. This is the kind of expansion that any gamer would want for any game. It's stays true the original formula it adds plenty of new ideas, character and locations. Really terrific new party members, a real shame they weren't given as much depth as the in DA: Origins, but that's only a minor quirk as they still did a great job all things considered. Overall: A MUST BUY for anyone who loved DA: Origins. Expand
  5. Dec 31, 2013
    I found this to be a disappointing expansion to one of my favorite games of all time. It's not bad by any means, it jus fails to impress the way the main game did." Awakening" adds lots of new content, abilities, loot, an increased level cap, and features new characters and a story that takes place after the events of the main game, but I just feel that it lacks the things that makes the main game so excellent.

What disappoints me with this expansion are the new characters and new story. They just fail to live up to the original in any way. I didn't find any of the new character to be anywhere near as likable as the original cast, and the story lacks punch. I wasn't emotionally invested here like I was in Origins. To me all of the story content just feels like a vehicle to deliver gameplay. The is expansion is much more combat oriented than the main game was. It's not really a bad thing, but it wasn't the combat that made me fall in love with Origins. It was the story and characters.

As far as the combat encounters go I found them to be suitably entertaining, even if they weren't really challenging. The introduction of new enemy types is cool, and using the new abilities on them is cool, but the real treat here for me was the new boss battles. I found them to be insanely cool and well designed. The boss battles provided some of my favorite moments with "Awakening".

Overall it's kind of hard to find myself complaining about more Dragon Age, the new content is nice, but I can't help but feel the sting of how much it fails to live up to the excellence I've come to expect from the series. Still, if you're a Dragon Age fan I still believe this expansion is worth a playthrough. Getting to continue your story from the main game with new content is pretty sweet, and you can pick this up for pretty cheap nowadays. Just don't expect the same level of quality that went into the main game. I found "Awakening" to be disappointing, but still worth a look.
  6. Aug 15, 2013
    This is better than the original game. Very damn good. It almost made me believe that this is not a Bioware game at all. It's that good. If you bought DAO and liked it you should definitely buy this expansion pack. Also, don't buy Dragon Age 2. They screwed it up big time. It's like they listened to the people who liked DAO and then did everything just the opposite way.

1. If Dragon Age didn't float your boat, neither will Awakening. Dragon Age enthusiasts, however, should consider it an essential purchase. It offers more of the same - no bad thing - in a great value package.
  2. At two-thirds the price of Origins with about two-fifths the content, a return trip to the land of Ferelden doesn’t feel like the deal it seemed it would be.
    The gameplay systems have a similar "pretty good, but somewhat flawed" feel as the quest content.