5.4

1. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so this is it. The Big One. the DLC so bad that it was awarded the Gamespot award for "Worst DLC to a good game." But is it really so?

First off, the plot: The point of this pack is for you, the player, to find Morrigan for a final face off. Along the way, you gain two temporary allies. Oh yeah, and your dog is back. There is that. Now, that is the entire plot, to find Morrigan and what it is that she plans. And yes, it actually leaves you with more questions with answers, but it also does do a fairly good job at giving you closure. That is, if you have romanced Morrigan. I'm sure if you haven't, than you would be missing out. The pack is also only two hours long, with maybe one side quest. However, given the focus, I'm not sure what else they could have done with it.

Gameplay: This is a pack for Dragon Age: Origins. Outside from a really cool end boss, there's not much that is different. But, then again, it's Dragon Age, so that's not a particularly bad thing.

Characters: Outside of your dog (who I don't need to say much about, because, well... he's a dog), the other two allies that join you are Ariane, an elf searching for Morrigan after the latter steal a sacred book from her tribe (which is never resolved, by the way), and Finn, a young mage who doesn't quite like life outside of the Tower of Magi, but nonetheless joins you on your quest. While these two do provide some humorus dialogue and funny moments, their personalities don't quite wonder beyond what I just told you. That being said, I would like to see them in a future installment, if nothing else to make them more well-rounded characters.

The verdict: I can see why this DLC dissapointed, seeing as how it not only promised a finale to Dragon Age, but was also centered around one of the most popular characters, AND how it was realeased the same day as Lair of the Shadow Broker, which was probably the best add-on for Mass Effect 2 (I thought Liara was kind of "meh" until I played that pack). But as for the worst DLC to a great game? No, I don't see it. True, it's flawed, and ture, BioWare is capable of doing better. But for what it is, a DLC meant to serve as a definite ending to DA:O, it's not that bad. There are some funny moments, an incredible final boss (which admittedly is pretty easy, but I digress), and, if you so choose, an emotional closing scene between the Warden and Morrigan. And, it promises something big will happen in the future of Thedas, something in which the Warden, Morrigan, and their son will play a part in. It could have been a great DLC, but for what it is, it's not terrible. I just wish that they could have brought up the thread in this game in Dragon Age 2. Let's hope Dragon Age 3, at least.
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Overall a really forgettable DLC that seems to only pander to those who wanted more closure regarding Morrigan. The mission itself isn't bad, it just feels a bit out of place and needless. I really would only recommend this DLC to those who chose Morrigan as their Romance option. Everyone else, can give it a miss.

1. Despite some small bugs and two somewhat open endings, Witch Hunt proves to be a fine DLC that should't disappoint any fan of the series. If you're a fan of the game and look forward to a decent conclusion to the fantasy saga told until now, look no further.
  2. Official Xbox Magazine
    But as the last of Dragon Age's downloadable expansions, Witch Hunt closes out the story with more of a whimper than a bang. [Nov 2010, p.81]
  3. A mediocre ugprade to a real great RPG. Shame.