Dragon Age: Origins Xbox 360

7.9

1. peterD
    Jan 12, 2010
    this game is one of the better. the storyline is definately its best quality, managing to keep you drawn into the universe of origins at all times. You get a great feel for the Characters, and you start to learn their ways, ideal and principles quickly, andd you learn to predict what their choices would be in the situation. impressive and rarely seen if you ask me. gameplaywise, it doesnt this game is one of the better. the storyline is definately its best quality, managing to keep you drawn into the universe of origins at all times. You get a great feel for the Characters, and you start to learn their ways, ideal and principles quickly, andd you learn to predict what their choices would be in the situation. impressive and rarely seen if you ask me. gameplaywise, it doesnt manage to do anything specificly new, other than the tactical element. but i get the general feeling, that the difficulty curve is very deform. some things appear very easy, but some things, like random encounters, are absolutely punishing. there were a lot of thing s that were absurdly difficult, and that drew the game away from me. and, before you start pointing fingers, i did spend a lot of time in pause Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    This game is amazing. The graphics are not great for a 360 game, but everything else is way above average. Great story, great characters, great voice acting, great music, and very challenging gameplay (at least if you play it on Nightmare). The gameplay is very strategic, and it is very rewarding to finally win a difficult battle after many tries. Also, the characters are so wellThis game is amazing. The graphics are not great for a 360 game, but everything else is way above average. Great story, great characters, great voice acting, great music, and very challenging gameplay (at least if you play it on Nightmare). The gameplay is very strategic, and it is very rewarding to finally win a difficult battle after many tries. Also, the characters are so well developed that they truly come to life on screen. This is my favorite RPG for the Xbox 360. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2011
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 8.7/10 = A
  4. Griffen
    Nov 3, 2009
    I can't believe all the companies saying that DA:O is out dated gameplay wise. It even says in the description that the game is returning to its roots. Mass Effect was a fun game, but why are all these guys comparing the two. One's a straight up RPG and the other is a Shooter-RPG. It's like comparing Baldaur's Gate and Borderlands.
  5. JoshC.
    Nov 4, 2009
    I own the 360 version, and even with its presentational shortcomings (several other RPG's one-up it graphically - Specifically Oblivion and Bioware's own 2007 game Mass Effect just to name a couple), you'll love the story, design, and gameplay excellence for what it is: The true successor to the Baldur's Gate series.
  6. VincentM
    Nov 7, 2009
    Fantastic game. No one can make RPG like Bioware. The dialogues are... just amazing. My vote for game of the year.
  7. Mar 11, 2011
    It's much more linear than a game like Oblivion, but that's okay because all of paths you are able to go on are awesome. Dragon Age Origins feels like an old-school RPG in the best way possible. The combat is paced so that you can strategize effectively and still feel the excitement of battle, and the story and characters are excellent. My highest recommendations for any RPG fan.
  8. Feb 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is what you call an rpg. the story like is really good and keeps you drawn to the game. you find your self needing to complete with all the races and classes that are available to play . the game play can be a bit similar to other stuff on the market but you dont really notice it while you are playing. Dragon Age: origins i do recommend to rpg players. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2011
    I have completed this game 14 times so far and still want to play it. The characters are genuinely funny and charming. The story is epic and the choices I made seem to really affect the world. Gameplay is a tad on the slow side but allows for some tactical manouvering. Graphics are not great but the immersion more than makes up for that. Amazing experience from BioWare a must get game.
  10. Apr 6, 2011
    Great game, great story, great RPG. In my opinion this is one of the greatest games I've ever played and including DLC was an amazingly fun 80 hours. Wish it didn't have to end, and thanks to the re-playability, it really doesn't!
  11. Jul 22, 2012
    Bioware pride themselves on being able to create amazing storylines that make you feel as if you are actually in the world of the game. Origins is no exception. This game has a challenging yet interesting combat engine, accompanied by very personal and well designed characters, a huge amount of gameplay time and a brilliantly written plot. My one complaint would be graphics, but theyBioware pride themselves on being able to create amazing storylines that make you feel as if you are actually in the world of the game. Origins is no exception. This game has a challenging yet interesting combat engine, accompanied by very personal and well designed characters, a huge amount of gameplay time and a brilliantly written plot. My one complaint would be graphics, but they aren't particularly bad, just not amazingly good. Besides that, this game is almost perfect. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    Anyone that has played any of BioWare's other RPG titles, and Knights of the Old Republic in particular, will be instantly familiar with the way Dragon Age: Origins works. Having completed one of four unique origin stories the player sets about putting together a team and convincing different tribes to join them in the battle against an army of demons, known as The Blight, that areAnyone that has played any of BioWare's other RPG titles, and Knights of the Old Republic in particular, will be instantly familiar with the way Dragon Age: Origins works. Having completed one of four unique origin stories the player sets about putting together a team and convincing different tribes to join them in the battle against an army of demons, known as The Blight, that are hell-bent on destroying the world. Along with the fantasy setting this plot could of course be considered a little clichéd but the detailed world, expansive history and interesting dialogue choices more than makes up for this.

The gameplay itself is well paced with battles being played out in real time, although they can be paused at any time to allow for tactical decisions to be made. With so many spells and techniques available there is plenty of scope to customise your team just how you want meaning there is a great deal of depth to proceedings.

All in all I found Origins to be a deep and thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish, and that’s saying something in a game that lasted over 50 hours.
  13. May 9, 2011
    One of my absolute favorite games of all time. The story and interaction elements are fantastic. Yes the graphics aren't the greatest and the combat can get frustrating, but it was nothing that kept me from logging many, many hours on several playthroughs. You have to give this game a try if you enjoy an incredible, deep story that will keep you entertained for more time than you'reOne of my absolute favorite games of all time. The story and interaction elements are fantastic. Yes the graphics aren't the greatest and the combat can get frustrating, but it was nothing that kept me from logging many, many hours on several playthroughs. You have to give this game a try if you enjoy an incredible, deep story that will keep you entertained for more time than you're willing to wager. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2011
    Upon getting this game and putting it in my Xbox, I didn't know what to think.
    This was like no other RPG I've ever played, at first I had doubts but I just said "What the hell, why not enjoy something different from Final Fantasy", even to this day, I'm glad I trusted my gut because this was one of the best RPGs I've ever play.
    With 100s of different character creation combinations,
    Upon getting this game and putting it in my Xbox, I didn't know what to think.

With 100s of different character creation combinations, races, classes, and origin stories, add to such interactive gameplay, with a cast a great characters I could relate.

For me, a game that allows me to have my personality in the game will always be a 10/10
  15. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is great. At times it may be slow but the story absolutely blows you away. Each new area that you visit is fun and entertaining and is full of different types of quests. The character progression allows you to mold your character to fit your playing style. The graphics may be sub-par but it makes up for it with a lush environment. I was so excited to see the next place i wasThis game is great. At times it may be slow but the story absolutely blows you away. Each new area that you visit is fun and entertaining and is full of different types of quests. The character progression allows you to mold your character to fit your playing style. The graphics may be sub-par but it makes up for it with a lush environment. I was so excited to see the next place i was going i never even cared about leveling my character up. There was never any need to grind to be able to continue the story. (Besides on nightmare mode) While i loved RPGs like mass effect, oblivion, and KOTOR, i think this was my favorite. The replayability of this game is extremely high because of the multiple origin stories you start off with. (Mage was my favorite) Overall this game is great and i never got tired of being a Grey Warden. Expand
  16. Mar 14, 2012
    One of the few true RPG's to appear in the last 5 years. That being said, it has many flaws that take away from the overall feel of the game. In characteristic Bioware fashion, texture loading decreases in quality as save file size increases. Voice is acting is average at best, with a few notable exceptions. NPC's are generally mediocre and not very notable. Finally, the combatOne of the few true RPG's to appear in the last 5 years. That being said, it has many flaws that take away from the overall feel of the game. In characteristic Bioware fashion, texture loading decreases in quality as save file size increases. Voice is acting is average at best, with a few notable exceptions. NPC's are generally mediocre and not very notable. Finally, the combat mechanics are sluggish and clumsy and battles take far too long on even the easiest difficulty. This is still a very enjoyable game and provides many hours of entertainment. Expand
  17. Apr 13, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins presents fast paced RPG battles with wide cast of lovable, and loathable, companions. Gameplay is built on automated attacks while you the player stratagizes and make use of you and your companions many unique abilities. DA:O offers a nice selection of races and upbringing for your character, combined with the possible skill trees makes each character special. TheDragon Age: Origins presents fast paced RPG battles with wide cast of lovable, and loathable, companions. Gameplay is built on automated attacks while you the player stratagizes and make use of you and your companions many unique abilities. DA:O offers a nice selection of races and upbringing for your character, combined with the possible skill trees makes each character special. The gameplay can be tedious and sometimes even difficult to pick up. People who play for a long time will find a solid battle engine that rewards strategy and quick thinking. Other than that, the story is gripping and presents a wonderful fantasy story that is filled to the brim with fantasy worthy of any epic. Expand
  18. Jan 11, 2013
    Dragon Age: Origins is an action packed RPG where the protagonist of your design is joined by a party of no more then four people fight to save the world. The protagonist can be male or female. The protagonist can be a human, elf, or dwarf. The character creator allows you to make your character completely original. Depending on the character you create you will experience one out of theDragon Age: Origins is an action packed RPG where the protagonist of your design is joined by a party of no more then four people fight to save the world. The protagonist can be male or female. The protagonist can be a human, elf, or dwarf. The character creator allows you to make your character completely original. Depending on the character you create you will experience one out of the six opening scenes which allow you to have an original gaming experience. Dragon Age: Origins has a very engaging story line that never bores you. You can be exploring the lands of Ferelden killing dark spawn, gathering allies, or pursuing possible romances. I would recommend this game for any gamer! This game is perfect for gamers who want to get into RPGs and for pro RPG players who want a test of their skills and an interesting story line. Expand
  19. Mar 18, 2013
    Hands down my favorite game of all time. It had everything I look for in a good RPG; The plotline, which may seem overused at first, was detailed and engaging. The characters were unique and memorable, with distinct personalities and deep back stories, on top of which they have a wide range of skills to match a party to any style of play. Not to mention all the choices; Every major plotHands down my favorite game of all time. It had everything I look for in a good RPG; The plotline, which may seem overused at first, was detailed and engaging. The characters were unique and memorable, with distinct personalities and deep back stories, on top of which they have a wide range of skills to match a party to any style of play. Not to mention all the choices; Every major plot point has at least one major decision that affects the end of the game, and most have many smaller choices too. To go back to your companions; rather than being passive place holders they actually respond to the situation around you; Approving or disapproving of your choices, and giving their own input when they feel strongly about something. (Plus there are few things as amusing as listening to the conversations your party occasionally starts up while you're exploring.)

No, the graphics aren't up to the standard of Bethesda's 'Skyrim', and the loading screens can be a bit of a drag, but beyond that it's very hard to find fault with the game. (And let's face it; The graphics in Skyrim were exceptional, very few games can even come close.
    The graphics are still good enough to make the game engaging, with a few truly beautiful scenes if you take a look around. (Try looking off the cliff by Redcliffe.) And the music is incredible. And for those interested in such things there's a wealth of history and culture in the codex, an unbelievable amount really, without reading even a quarter of it you can fully immerse yourself in the world's politics and racial relations. Nothing is left unexplained to those who want to know.

All in all a simply amazing gaming experience, rife with adventure and humour. A must-have for any gamer.
  20. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, Dragon Age: Origins is a great game that you will likely be pleased with if you are a fan of RPGs.

Pros:
    - Combat (if you're a fan of auto-attack with a slight strategic bent.)
    - Characters, voice acting
    - Choices effect outcome of game
    - Storyline (it's predictable but original and satisfying.)

Cons
    - Combat (if you are more interested in the action-RPG style.)
    - Graphics (the graphics are definitely tolerable, they are just sub-par compared to other games released at the same time.)
    - Difficulty spikes (some difficult battles are random, unexpected and the game will not autosave beforehand [desire demon in the Circle of Magi, anyone?!] and some battles will be disappointingly easy.)
  21. Feb 28, 2011
    I was never a big fan of Bioware at all. In fact, when I first put this game in my 360, I was already having doubts on if this game will be good, because I tried Mass Effect, which is considered to be Biowares best game, and didn't like it. I admit that the game looked good when I first saw it. A friend of mine decided to let me borrow his copy of Dragon Age, which he later said I couldI was never a big fan of Bioware at all. In fact, when I first put this game in my 360, I was already having doubts on if this game will be good, because I tried Mass Effect, which is considered to be Biowares best game, and didn't like it. I admit that the game looked good when I first saw it. A friend of mine decided to let me borrow his copy of Dragon Age, which he later said I could keep with no charge. Thanks Josh. So, why am I thanking my friend for a game by Bioware, a company I never liked? I'll tell you why. Because this game IS AMAZING!!!!! I'll be perfectly honest, Oblivion is one of my favorite RPG's ever, but I think Dragon Age actually beats it. I'm already looking forward to Dragon Age II, it has become one of my most anticipated games on 2011. So since I only have 5000 characters per review, let's get to the game. The most important aspect in any game is, of course, the gameplay. So, how is the gameplay in Dragon Age? Outstanding! It's like a very fast paced version of the Final Fantasy XI battle system, except much more active. You're not hacking and slashing, but it's still a very active system. Don't you worry Turn-Based Haters, this game is not turn based at all. They basically took the turn-based battle system from FFXI, and removed the turn-based part of it. Absolute genius! You can also set techniques to your quick cast buttons, much like setting your items to the C-buttons in Zelda. This makes it easier, because anything that's not set to your quick cast buttons, you can only cast by opening up the ability menu, and selecting it. However, this is quick, and is a great way to pause the game if you need to observe the battle and decide a change in strategy. Of course like any other advanced RPG, you can create your character to your liking. You can choose between 3 races. Human, Elf, and Dwarf. I decided to be an elf. After that, you choose your job. You can choose one of 3 jobs. Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. I decided to be a rogue, because I like sneaking around and being quick. Each job has 4 specializations that you choose from after unlocking them through quests in the game. The rogue specialization I chose first was Duelist, which is a person who can deal very good damage, and is very good at dodging attacks, and is best with dual wielding daggers. I later made Archer as my 2nd specialization, that one should be obvious. But in case you don't get it, it means you use a bow and arrow. Each time you level up, you get points to spend on character attributes to make him stronger. You do the same with your party members. By the way, you don't travel alone, you have a party with you. So obviously, this means you have to keep a well organized party. As far as the story goes, the story starts off differently for every race, but it all leads down to the same story. You become a Grey Warden, a special warrior meant to protect the people from the darkspawn. Of course that's up to you. The game has the same choice system as Mass Effect, so the choices you make will affect you later on, and you can choose to be a good guy or a bad guy. Not only will your decisions affect you later in this game, but they will also affect you in Dragon Age II, so choose your path wisely. In either case though, you have to gather allies from around the world by either helping them solve their problems so they can aid you, or by forcing them to aid you. The only problem with this game is it's difficulty. Casual mode is too easy, but Normal mode is way too freakin hard. It's like the game completely skipped Normal mode and decided to make Normal mode hard mode. Even the hardcore RPG players are usually playing the game on casual mode, because Normal mode is way too hard, it's nearly impossible. One can only imagine how difficult Hard and Nightmare modes are. I have yet to hear of anyone who can play the game all the way through on Nightmare mode. All and all, fantastic game, and it deserves every penny you pay for it. It has to be one of the best RPG's of all time, so if you love RPG's, pick this game up. Mass Effect ain't got **** on Dragon Age! 10/10. Expand
  22. Jul 26, 2011
    I played through this game in its entirety 11 times. So many times, I had to remove characters to a flashdrive because you're only allowed to create 8 characters. It's that good.
  23. GommbawaJ
    Jan 3, 2010
    The most compelling, engaging and emotional storyline of any RPG to date. Make that any game, actually. This was a near perfect game imo, the only improvements I'd make is in the loot and tactics system. But that can be improved in the next release. Really, really want to congratulate the team. Amazing game.
  24. JoseM
    Nov 8, 2009
    A brilliant RPG with combat which is a mixture of Mass Effect and KOTOR. As such, combined with an engaging story and interesting characters, all the elements of this game bond together to make arguably the best RPG on this generation of consoles.
  25. Killacure
    Dec 2, 2009
    This game is so rich in story and the pay off for time spent in its lavish world is untouchable.
  26. TRoberts
    Jan 21, 2010
    This is the best RPG-game i played i hope mass effect2 will be better but this game is also great
  27. PatJ
    Nov 3, 2009
    Got it yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. The sun came up before I realized how many hours had gone by and all I can think about at work is getting home to play it some more.
  28. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I finished the campaign last night and uh, it was nice. Very satisfying ending. Overall, I like the game a lot. That should be obvious, I've posted quite a bit about it. That's cause it's very good. Not a perfect game though. Not a game I can consider as a candidate for GOTY 2009, let's just say. The BioWare signature is definitely all over it, you can feel that same sort of relationship with characters that you got in KOTOR and ME and all that. It's just a very cozy and enjoyable experience, I'd say.

But ya know, there's a few wrong turns as well and I figured I'd just write up my thoughts on that. Quick summary here and uh, maybe there'll be improvements for Dragon Age 2, which I eagerly look forward to.

The graphics in DA aren't so hot. I can't believe I'm living in a world where people are posting that they can't believe they live in a world where the graphics in Dragon Age are considered bad. Like, really? Honestly, this is the year 2009. Dragon Age's graphics are considered bad, because they are bad. You look at video games, and it's clear we've come pretty far. Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Crysis, Gears of War 2, Dead Space, Infamous, Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2, lots of games with great graphics. But ohohoho, you raise your hand and object... those are all action games, not RPGs! Well, alright... that's true. Let's look at RPGs... we've got games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, all which look much better then Dragon Age. And some of em came out over two years ago. And I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy 13 is going to look much better then DA when it comes out sometime next year. I've never played an FF game in my life, and don't intend to pick up FF13, but it's clear to even a dude like me that it looks so much better then what BioWare delivered to us here. So no, it's not crazy to say that DA has some pretty bad visuals.

It's all fine and dandy if you say you're a hardcore RPG player and story-telling and dialogue come first and you don't care about graphics. That's fine, those are your own preferences. But to simply ignore that they are not that great is deluding yourself. It's like buying a used car with some scratches on the paint. You might value great gas mileage and the roomy interior and so the scratches on the paint don't really bother you at all. That's not why you bought the car, it doesn't affect your enjoyment of it. But don't act as if the paintjob is beautiful and flawless while conversing with your next door neighbor. Don't tell him the paint is great. That's escaping into some sort of bizarro world.

The world is changing, I feel. We no longer have to put up with FPSs with nonexistent stories, or RPGs with horrible visuals. What's Fallout 3? It's a first person shooter, but also an RPG. What's Mass Effect? It's a third person shooter, but also an RPG. It's not an either or proposition. Oblivion was an RPG that actually had decent combat for a change. This is a good thing, new games are taking the best elements of each genre and coming up with a really nice hybrid design. So don't give me the old chestnut that because it's an RPG, you shouldn't expect anything in terms of graphics. That doesn't fly anymore. Well, unless it's an indie game, which I don't think DA is. It's a BioWare game, so you're damn right my expectations are gonna be high. They've set a high standard for consistently great RPGs. KOTOR looked great when it came out in 2003. Mass Effect looked great when it came out in 2007. So to me, expecting BioWare stuff to look good isn't exactly going off and battling windmills.

As far as Morrigan goes... I'm kinda amused by all the discussion about her. It's really interesting how some people hate her a lot. I dunno, she was fine for my tastes. It's uh, it's okay if BioWare didn't just give us a retread of Bastila Shan or Liara. I might actually have found that really boring and lame. Morrigan's just different but still kinda alluring and provides a little discord in the party dynamic. Kinda reminds me of Joanna from the BattleTech novels. Ya know, mostly from Robert Thurston's body of work. Some people don't like Joanna cause she's basically a **** but a lot of people, including me, really really like her. Not like as in, I'd really like to be her BFF in real life, but we enjoy her as an intriguing literary character. Some people are just not that happy go lucky and they do have to occupy that realm of anti-hero. So yea, Morrigan's kinda... the best at what she does, but what she does isn't very nice? Heh...
  29. Aug 15, 2013
    A very good RPG. I don't like how Bioware makes its games for teen boys when it comes to women, sex and the dialogue in general. In DAO that stuff is sufficiently out of the way so that it doesn't get in the way of gaming. I'd rather have a world like that in Witcher instead of Bioware's classic good vs evil with large breasted women and huge spiky armors. Nevertheless, DAO was good.A very good RPG. I don't like how Bioware makes its games for teen boys when it comes to women, sex and the dialogue in general. In DAO that stuff is sufficiently out of the way so that it doesn't get in the way of gaming. I'd rather have a world like that in Witcher instead of Bioware's classic good vs evil with large breasted women and huge spiky armors. Nevertheless, DAO was good. Definitely the best game Bioware has ever produced and looking at the horror that was Dragon's Age 2 and how they "developed" Mass Effect downhill through the series it is safe to say that DAO will be their best game ever. Expand
  30. zach
    Nov 8, 2009
    This is a good game. Although this game is decent the company was just tricking themselves into thinking this would be a ground-breaking game. I like the RPG elements but they actually are uminspired. Baulders Gate was much better and this is a lot better than Mass Effect. Overall I would say SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR MODERN WARFARE 2!!

It's a delight to give into a fantasy setting with such a dense back story, even if the gameplay still rarely breaks away from conventions established a decade ago.
  2. Despite its lack of innovation Dragon Age: Origins is the best RPG in 2009. Its great value and addictive gameplay are among its main highlights.
  3. Incredible storytelling, great characters, and exciting battles are just a few of the things that make this fantasy role-playing game so great.