7.8

1. May 22, 2012
    I've always been on the fence about Dragon's Dogma. For one, it looked awesome. On the other hand, it's a Capcom game. So I've always been skeptical. But now the full game is out and I have to say that it's good... but PLAGUED by serious issues. Of course, at number 1 on my complaint list is the insanely annoying AI teammates. No I'm not talking escort mission retarded annoying, I'm talking repeated dialogue and they never shut up annoying. Try, just TRY to go through a single encounter with goblins without hearing GOBLINS! five times and A GOBLIN PACK! 3. It's unbelievable how much they repeat the same phrase. I've heard SNOW HARPIES come out of the only female party member I have 4 times within a span of about 15 seconds. This SEVERELY detracts from the full game. The only thing I can do about it is set all voices to zero and turn off subtitles. Which means I have to dig through menus every time I think there will be a cutscene. I got tired of the repeated dialogue by the time I had finished my first enemy encounter. Also annoying are the constant black boxes at the top and bottom of the screen, which I'm guessing were done to keep the game's framerate in check as MT Framework would struggle at full resolution for a game this huge. Now on to the good parts, I suppose. It's very pretty, character models look nice, animations are great (especially on large enemies) and they do nice things like have clouds that sometimes cover up the sun. The combat for the most part is pretty good, fighting the large enemies (which you can climb on) is totally awesome. Smaller enemies not so much but they go down quick anyways. A really nice thing about the game is that it's challenging, although sometimes it just seems like your character is made of glass. An option to be downed instead of just killed when your health runs out would make it a bit less annoying. Solid combat all around. The world is absolutely massive which is honestly a negative. Remember Twilight Princess and how it took forever to get where you're going, often with nothing in between huge spans of land? This game reminds me of that. Except there's no Epona so it's even slower. Speaking of slow, there's no fast travel. Well, there IS but it's finite and you have to spend TONS of cash on it, which makes it worthless. And even when you spend all that cash it only brings you back to the capital city. The music and sound design are very pleasant, I'm really into those. And for being such a huge game the textures don't look too too bad. Now for the biggest strike I can possibly use against the game... you have one save file. Just one. In an open world RPG with multiple classes. This is unforgivable in a game like this no matter the reason (the pawn system which only gets you those annoying AI teammates I mentioned at the beginning). It's like Capcom saw the popularity of Skyrim and other WRPG juggernauts but got all the details wrong. Even Dark Souls had freaking fast travel once you got far enough in the game, and you didn't have to pay for it either. For the things the game does right it does just a bit more wrong. I can't give this one a pass, wait for something better. Maybe they'll make a second game that fixes the issues. Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    I just want to say at the outset that I respect Capcom as a company and their decades of experience in the game industry. That said, here's my review:

The TLDR version: Score: (21/50), a 4.0 ranking

Decent graphics. Small world. Dull story. Unique elements for genre, but fall short of potential. Companions are extremely limited and annoying, actually very annoying. Small pool of
    unique monsters. Bosses enjoyable except final battle, which I couldn't wait to just be over. Liberal use of 2 second cut scenes followed by dull dialogue and followed up by another 2 second cut scene. Literally.

Graphics/Art: I found the landscapes attractive, especially the grassy areas where vegetation moves with the wind. With a more critical eye, however, there was no variation in the movement rate. Perhaps I'm asking for too much. The lighting effects were well done. Dark areas were pretty with a lantern in hand. The external walls of various Castle-like buildings were awesome for me. 7/10

Map: At the beginning of the game, the map shows only areas that have been explored. This makes it feel like there are vast areas to explore but that's not the case. The map is a good deal smaller than other open RPG games released in the past couple of years. The requisite dungeons were pretty cool, even though multiple plot elements kept sending me back to them. There were probably lots of mini-caves etc. that I missed but I was so bored by everything else in the game that I didn't bother. 4/10

Enemies: Limited number of enemies, always spawn in the same place, in the same numbers, and defeating them requires no planning or strategy beyond anticipating that they are there (again). The bosses were modeled well and had good animations. When a boss stuns you, you may be stunned at the very instant you find your feet again. Double stun. Not fun. 3/10

Pawns: A fresh idea for the genre. The problem is that the idea wasn't developed enough to impress beyond its initial introduction. The Pawns were annoying. Always. There is absolutely no reason for a pawn to remind the player (let alone all three simultaneously) that "the INN should serve as a hub for our adventure" before the final battle of the game and "you cannot only rest here but you can manage inventory and skills as well." 5/10

Story: I was bored. I just didn't care about any of the characters including my own. This was the weakest element of the game. The voice acting was not bad, but I just didn't care. The main character has his/her own heart ripped out by a dragon at the beginning of the game. This would seem to serve as an anxiety provoking and emotional event to drive the player onward, yet it doesn't resonate anything of the sort during the game. People greet you, indifferently, as The Arisen, rather than something like "I can't believe that you still live even after the Dragon took your heart. Bless your soul for saving us during these hard times. What can I do to help?" 2/10
  3. Jul 6, 2012
    ***20 reasons why Dragon's Dogma should be in the making 4 more years*** "4 years in the making", "hundreds of people involved", "From the creators of Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 4", "The most ambitious project from Capcom to date", "A BIG budget game"... Is this a sort of Japanese Joke? At first i gave this game an 8, now, after finishing the game it gets a 4. Why? At first this looks like a great game with cool combat and a HUGE map to explore and you are willing to forgive some fails, but after some dozen hours you get to realize what this game really is and not willing to forgive: reason 1) They make us believe there is a BIG map to explore by hidding it, but this is one of the smallest game maps in the world of RPG's (go and check Google images for the full map). 2) The total absence of lip synch is annoying (even the Muppets do it better). 3) An awful story with more holes in the plot than a Swiss cheese. 4) The constant monologues of your companions: "See master, a rock (98745 times)", "Wolves hunt in packs (642947 times)... 5) The almost absence of side-quests. You get objectives, not side quests: (kill 50 fearsome rabbits), (kill 2 cyclopes), (Kill the JRPG's)... 6) The 'cinematics' if you can call them that, sucks! 7) The graphics are not up to today's standards, they look like PS2 HD graphics. 8) The armors are ugly, not even a decent armor set that makes look like a badass. I was hoping all the game to get a decent armor... it never happened... 9) At the end i understood why there was no decent fast travel system, because this game is so small that makes no sense having fast travel, but i passed the same roads over and over and over and over and over again. 10) You fight the same enemies in the very same places all the time, but, if at level 1 a goblin or a wolf can get you a fight imagine at level 60! And at the end if i close my eyes i can guess where they are because they appear always in the same location. 11) You can't change your skills at any time in the game, you have to go to the Inn and say "Hey man i wanna change my skills...", why can't you change them whenever you want wherever you want? 12) At first the combat looks cool but in the end i find that there are no real strategy fighting the enemies (like in demons/Dark Souls), i just keep using my 2 most powerful strikes every time and against all sort of enemies (boring). 14) The number of 'dungeons' to explore is a JOKE, i just remember about 6, no more than 10 (Skyrim has 150 and Amalur 120 dungeons to explore) and they were reused for different quests. 15) The character models are very bad, the monsters, not so bad and the Big monsters nice with nice animations. 16) People like the spawn system, but because you have to constantly change your party, you never get emotionally involved with your companions (you just don't care if they die in combat or if they fall the abyss, and that's a part very important in an RPG, like the involvement you get with your team mates in Mass Effect...). 17) The 2 black bars always present like in a movie so the poor graphical engine could keep the framerate in this 'open small land' game. 18) Bad voice acting and bad dialogues. 19) The pseudo quest DLC's just to rob you some more money. (Go and get some medallions quests). They suck, they should be free or be included in the small game. 20) Only a few different monsters. You are always fighting the same monsters. There is not a lot of diversity and different tactics to fight the enemies, just hack and slash with your most powerful strike. (i never had to block a strike and only died twice at he beginning) ***Resuming: I'am more criticizer with this game because they made us believe this was a Big production game in a Big open world and that's not the truth. At the first hours i had fun with this game, but towards the end i was anxious to see the end of the game, like in FFXIII. My advice to the producers. Take some holidays, play Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, The Witcher, Fallout, Kingdoms of Amalur..., take some notes, hire decent artists and than you can try to make a decent RPG in the western way... Good luck to Dragon's Dogma 2, but you still have a LONG road to walk! Expand
  4. May 22, 2012
    I just do not like this game. The storyline is so boring, dialogues are stupid, and graphics average. And how about gameplay? Not bad, but it could be really better.
  5. May 30, 2012
    This is a terrible game wrapped up in the ideas for a good game. The story starts off well enough and seems intriguing but then you start playing. You button mash your way through the opening bit and expect it to be explained later. Then you get a bit more story and things seem strange but what the hey it's no worse than the Kingdoms of Amalur story. Then you get into the game, you get a few quests and things seem standard... and then you get some more quests and you get destroyed. One hit kills from the enemy while you chip away at their health, well if you can hit you opponent that is. I know it's nice to have a tough game but this is a joke, I'm 30-40 minutes into a game and I'm getting ripped apart.... not fun. It takes away from the whole open world element when, going of the beaten path means instant death. I don't want to explore in this game as I know it'll kill me. And sadly the AI tag alongs are about as helpful as taking the pill in the third trimester of pregnancy! All in all in this game is terrible and I think the almighty that I rented rather than hand over my actual hard earned cash. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2012
    If you've played and enjoyed roleplaying games over the years then frankly I'd suggest you avoided this game. Capcom doesn't exactly possess an illustrious history and this more than lives up to that reputation. The story is a bland, plastic and just like everything you've already seen before except with the sort of delivery you'd expect from a teenager's let's play youtube video with all the electric guitars and poor voice-acting you'll ever want to hear.

The combat might have some depth but the fact is that it rarely strays from being a chaotic mess that pales in comparison when considered alongside better alternatives. Dragon's Dogma exists as a mash-up between WRPGs and JRPGs and in doing so it sacrifices depth, originality and flair for gimmicks and what can only be described as a laughable attempt at a plot.
  7. Feb 6, 2013
    This is possibly the stupidest game I have ever played. Do not trust the people saying this game "rivals Skyrim". These people are clearly suffering from some sort of mental disorder. I play tons of RPG's (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher) just to name a few. Dragons Dogma is the lamest attempt at an RPG I've ever witnessed. The story is utterly terrible, the voice acting is god awful, and the graphics are uglier than Whoopi Goldberg.... yes, I went there. The combat that everyone seems to be praising is actually quite basic and boring... nothing impressive. These positive reviewers must be brainwashed from drinking the Capcom kool aid or something. This is one bandwagon I will not be jumping on. Don't waste your money here, there are literally 1000's of other games much more worthy of your time. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    As a dark souls and a monster hunter fan, I think this game is terrible. Unrewarding melee combat, glitchy camera. This feels like a huge indie, unprofessional game ala "two world" (which was also terrible). Really disappointed with this game.
  9. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well its Monster Hunter with a A.I. crew of Pawns who never ever shut up. Oh well its got lots of strong foes to battle plus the usual aimless wandering looting though no fast travel argh! I got to the point of just running away alot so I didn't spend 10 mins or more in battles as most of the time I just wanted to go from A to B. Expand
  10. May 25, 2012
    no true coop...i'm sure i'm not alone when i say this game could've sold TONS upon TONS more had it of been 4 player true coop multiplayer. soooo disappointed in this, this looked like the perfect merge of monster hunter/dark souls/skyrim with the cool stylized looks and characters you see in resident evil and devil may cry. considering cashcom is all about the cash these days and not their fans, i wonder why they didn't go the multiplayer route...it has and i know it, slashed their sales for this game in a huge way. Expand
  11. Jan 2, 2013
    This game is a lazy effort. The enemies are too difficult, killing the player in 2-3 hits despite being at a relatively high level, grabbing the player and inflicting damage while the player has to WAIT to be able to free himself and some even possess the ability to kill the player in one hit that cannot be defended against. The character moves too slowly to compete with enemies who move at the speed of sound. The DLC is complete trash being nothing but items that weaken your character, boring "fetch quests" (Kill 30 undead, Collect 50 Tokens) or pointless game modes that add nothing to the overall experience of the game (SPEED RUN MODE IN A BLOODY RPG??). The storyline is more JRPG than RPG giving the player no control over the flow of the story except to move from one plot point to the next. There is no world immersion; the NPCs in the game might as well be part of the scenery. Speaking of the scenery, on more than one occasion, I found myself walking through trees, crates and benches as if they weren't there. Weapons and armor must be purchased at exorbitant prices and there is little to no real treasure to be found in the game. Spells and skills take too long to come to completion in combat making some of the character classes useless as the tachyons masquerading as enemies will frequently interrupt the spell while your allies mill about ignoring any command to defend you. The game's main selling point, the boss battles, isn't even polished. While you can grab enemies and climb about striking weak points, the creature can simply disable all button commands by moving about. Since it takes stamina to hold on, the player will often find themselves out of stamina while frantically hammering the controller produces no effect. The one lone bright spot of the game is the deep character customization. It's also the reason I give this game a 2. Expand

1. Aug 3, 2012
    A unique hybrid between japanese and western rpg's featuring extensive customisation options, fun fights and indirect but rewarding ways to help (and be helped by) other players.
    Although I did know what kind of game Dragon's Dogma was when I picked it up, I was hoping that it would be different, have something I found compelling, something I could get addicted to and want to spend my time with. But for me, this kind of 'old school' gaming found in Dragon's Dogma is simply tedious and rarely enjoyable.
  3. Jul 8, 2012