7.8

1. May 30, 2012
    Take one part Skyrim, a dash of Monster Hunter, a sprinkle of Shadow of Colossus and blend with some original concepts and fantastic creature models and you get what could be one of 2012's best sleeper hits. Capcom have outdone themselves with this massive open world game. From detailed character design to astonishing scope and landmass this game will have you playing for a long time.Take one part Skyrim, a dash of Monster Hunter, a sprinkle of Shadow of Colossus and blend with some original concepts and fantastic creature models and you get what could be one of 2012's best sleeper hits. Capcom have outdone themselves with this massive open world game. From detailed character design to astonishing scope and landmass this game will have you playing for a long time. Monsters are highly detailed and can be quite a challenge as you must learn how to properly kill each one by climbing, grabbing and striking the creatures in various ways to best kill these awesome beasts. Everything from cyclops to Griffins, to even dragons, this game has a plethora of beasts to slay. The part that really shines in this game is the ability to create and "share" your companion or "Pawn" with other gamers. Once your main companion is created, even though they never leave you side, she or he will be available to participate in other people games gaining items and knowledge of areas you may not have entered yet. Each time you visit a hotel for a nights rest this information is downloaded to your game and your Pawn can become that much more useful. You may also take on other player created Pawns that can be used throughout the game at your leisure. The monsters are beautiful and brutal, the lands are open and wide, and the story, while slightly vague, is intriguing. A truly excellent start to what is hopefully a long and expansive franchise. Expand
  2. Jun 1, 2012
    Dragons Dogma is a great open world RPG that doesn't hold your hand and lets you explore. The action based combat is very satisfying, it is well developed and just feels right. It also has object creation through the combining of materials. Very well done!
  3. Jun 2, 2012
    This is a review in progress, I'm currently 10 hours in. So far, Dragon's Dogma is one of the textbook examples about how you can not judge a game as a sum of it's parts. It might have some issues, but those issues simply pale when everything is considered as a whole. The game is incredibly deep and offers a sense of adventure that I didn't feel in years. Every trek to the wilderness is aThis is a review in progress, I'm currently 10 hours in. So far, Dragon's Dogma is one of the textbook examples about how you can not judge a game as a sum of it's parts. It might have some issues, but those issues simply pale when everything is considered as a whole. The game is incredibly deep and offers a sense of adventure that I didn't feel in years. Every trek to the wilderness is a project you are not sure how and if it is going to end. You might even turn around and go back where you came from and try another day. Beautiful, complex combat system that puts to shame every other RPG we've seen lately. Gloomy, Gothic, idealized western graphics style that reminds of Demon/Dark Souls, coupled with an open world the style of Skyrim. Sense of scale and hight is incredible with buildings and streets in cities the right size, cliffs and canyons that make you dizzy. Never have I've seen such a complete day/night cycle. Nights are dark and full of growling squeaking things that crawl just beyond the short range of your lamp. You start looking at the sky periodically, to check how much time you have before sunset to retreat somewhere safe or reach your destination.. Pawn system delivers a sense of a world, and although you don't see other players, you "feel" their presence in the world, while at the same time they don't interfere with your immersion. The learning process of the pawns and sharing the knowledge from other players is such a great idea. One of the most under rated, over scorned games, that for some reason reviewers decided to ignore the forest and focus on the trees. Bethesda games are some of my favorite RPG's and Demon/Dark Souls my favorite games and this game stands shoulder to shoulder with no shame. Issues with screen tearing I did notice and they are plentiful, however I forgot about them the first time I stood on the edge of a cliff looking at the sea.

Regardless of technical issues, I give this game a 10, although 9 would be the right score, just for the merit of how well everything works together and how much new ground the developers broke. The game sucked me in and doesn't let go.
  4. May 25, 2012
    Really immersive and atmospheric, particularly at night when it gets really dark so you need your lantern. The combat is solid, firm and satisfying, a far cry from Skyrim's floaty weightless mess. There's a lot of attention to detail, such as your character's clothes getting soaked if you go into water and a the wind really swaying the grass and trees all around you. The pawn system adds aReally immersive and atmospheric, particularly at night when it gets really dark so you need your lantern. The combat is solid, firm and satisfying, a far cry from Skyrim's floaty weightless mess. There's a lot of attention to detail, such as your character's clothes getting soaked if you go into water and a the wind really swaying the grass and trees all around you. The pawn system adds a lot to the game and allows you to connect with other players without breaking the illusion of the world and events being real (e.g. you don't get some guy jumping all over the place and "hilariously" hitting NPCs). There is some slowdown at times, and the voice acting can be pretty poor at times, but the sense of adventure, exploration and truly being part of a living, detailed world all make that seem like an insignificantly small price to pay. There are tons of side quests that all help give the world more depth and variety, as well as the main quests nicely feeding into each other in interesting ways. At one point you're attacked by a gigantic hyrda. After climbing its body and decapitating it, your then told you could take the head to a nearby nobleman as a gift, and he'll honour you in some way. So starts a quest where you escort the hyrda's head on the back of a wagon through dangerous terrain. It feels so much better than "go there and get me that thing" followed by "Good, now go to the other guy who will tell you to go get him something to" which makes up most of the quests in WRPGs. I really recommend this game if you like atmospheric worlds that you feel like you're really living in, and also want combat to be a well-made part of the game rather than some embarrassingly bad thing that's been tacked on. It's familiar due to it's standard fantasy setting, yet somehow unfamiliar and refreshingly strange feeling thanks to it being a Japanese take on those elements. Expand
  5. May 25, 2012
    Don't listen to those so called "reviewers" they only got paid to get high scores. This is an awesome RPG if you like TES games you will be able to like this much more better combat with much more scenes storyline, So far it's the best RPG I've played in years.
  6. May 23, 2012
    One of, if not the best RPG's of current generation of gaming. The game expertly blends old school and new school RPG gaming, western and eastern styles, with a touch of Greek mythology to boot! What more could you ask for?
  7. May 23, 2012
    Excellent game, the combat seems to be a mix between Monster Hunter and the two Souls games. That coupled with a better open world experience than Skyrim make this for me the best game so far in 2012
  8. Aug 6, 2012
    Great game, the lip sync is bad, but that doesn't bug me. The gameplay makes up for it. The monsters/bosses in this game are truly amazing. Better than any game I have ever played.
  9. Aug 2, 2012
    This is a really great game, I'm so impressed with the graphics, game play, and innovative play style. Big budget game developers definitely could learn a thing or two from this game. I encourage people to buy a copy of this game and prepare to be wowed.
  10. Aug 31, 2012
    I had just finished Kingdoms Of Amalur and I was looking for my next game when Dragons Dogma appeared. Its a great game. The world is quite limited in physical size compared to Skyrim and KoA, but what is there is consistant and graphically quite beautiful - right up there with Skyrim, maybe even a bit better! The story is very good. Gets off to a slow start, but overall brilliant. Again,I had just finished Kingdoms Of Amalur and I was looking for my next game when Dragons Dogma appeared. Its a great game. The world is quite limited in physical size compared to Skyrim and KoA, but what is there is consistant and graphically quite beautiful - right up there with Skyrim, maybe even a bit better! The story is very good. Gets off to a slow start, but overall brilliant. Again, like KoA, quite an adult story line and several bits that were (unexpectedly) quite emotionally moving. I didn't like the character skills progression much, but thats a small gripe in a great game. Expand
  11. Sep 5, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is one of my "must have" games. My recommendation is to try the demo, but don't just mash the buttons like I did at first. The controller button scheme seems weird at first but it becomes second nature after a while and is actually well designed. If you're not impressed by the demo, you probably won't like the main game.
    Dragon's Dogma has an elusive "fun factor" than many
    Dragon's Dogma has an elusive "fun factor" than many games lack (e.g., Skyrim for me is fun to explore but not fun to play). There is a great sense of adventure and the world is very memorable. Combat is highly satisfying and the giant creature battles are intense. It can be more difficult than average games but it doesn't feel frustrating as with Demon's Souls (e.g., you can save your game except during combat). The art, game animation (i.e. character/creature movements), and music are all excellent. The story is somewhat minimalist and leaves some things to your imagination but it works well here. Despite my great enjoyment, there are some annoyances with this game. To me they are tolerable but they seem fixable in any potential sequel(s). My biggest complaint? After 70 hours (I play slowly) to finish, I wanted more! Not more sidequests, but more of the world, more dungeons, continued story, more combat styles, more monsters, etc. This is not a complaint but a huge compliment to the game.
  12. May 22, 2012
    Well done capcom you've created a great game. I wish some of these reviewers weren't so damn harsh on a few glitches here and there. Like come on, name me one open world game with no glitches. It's just ridiculous.
  13. May 29, 2012
    Strange game to review, this one. It makes me question the way i review. It doesn't have the best graphics or the largest world. It does not have the best story or the most refined loot-system. But somehow it makes me feel like i'm playing the best, most fun rpg in years (played them all btw). That's why this game gets my top mark; 10/10... because it reminded me what gaming is allStrange game to review, this one. It makes me question the way i review. It doesn't have the best graphics or the largest world. It does not have the best story or the most refined loot-system. But somehow it makes me feel like i'm playing the best, most fun rpg in years (played them all btw). That's why this game gets my top mark; 10/10... because it reminded me what gaming is all about... having fun. Expand
  14. May 22, 2012
    I'm absolutely in love with the environment in Dragon's Dogma. The combat feels great, the enemies are fun to kill and the mechanics of the game just boom for me. The day/night cycle is probably what stands out to me the most. It raises your cautiousness as the night is pitch black. The only light you really get is from your lantern. Monsters get more dangerous and it is advisable toI'm absolutely in love with the environment in Dragon's Dogma. The combat feels great, the enemies are fun to kill and the mechanics of the game just boom for me. The day/night cycle is probably what stands out to me the most. It raises your cautiousness as the night is pitch black. The only light you really get is from your lantern. Monsters get more dangerous and it is advisable to travel at a steady pace. I love the open-world survival feel to it.

Several months ago I sort of blew this game off thinking it wasn't going to be anything. I tried the demo and immediately picked up on it and enjoyed it. I didn't thing this game would amount to anything so I never followed it at all. Me being a big Monster Hunter fan, this game resembles it quite a bit. The main story isn't too there but neither is Skyrim's in my opinion. I played Skyrim for the open world exploration and lore. I'll be happily playing Dragon's Dogma for its great gameplay experience.

If you're a fan of Dark Souls, Monster Hunter or even Skyrim, I say try it out and give it a rent atleast.
  15. May 31, 2012
    I thought no game in near future will compete against Skyrim... I was so wrong. This game is an exceptional journey in a big world with tons of quests, a very intriguing story, very good graphics and lots of varied enemies and really cool unique bossfights. The bossfights in this game are very epic and addictive, they are also not very easy at first. But when you know the mechanics andI thought no game in near future will compete against Skyrim... I was so wrong. This game is an exceptional journey in a big world with tons of quests, a very intriguing story, very good graphics and lots of varied enemies and really cool unique bossfights. The bossfights in this game are very epic and addictive, they are also not very easy at first. But when you know the mechanics and prepare for the fight with the right potions you can kill every Monster out there, no matter how big or epic they seem. I have never seen so much varieties of legendary bossfights in a game before. The atmosphere and the landscape feel totally naturally and are very huge, after playing more and more the whole game will suck you in for a long time (minimum 80 hours if you want to see all and do all quests) if you like Action-RPGs with much to explore and to do. The game starts with an introducton and after it you get to character-creation, the customization is very good and big, you can choose between a lot of things, best character-creation I have ever seen. You have one Main-pawn that you can customize too at first and he is always with you and levels up, you can hire 2 pawns either from other players (if your logged in to the internet) or from the game. They do not level, but you can hire others when you want to everytime. Pawns with your level are free, if you want higher level pawns (then you) you can buy them for riftcrystals, you collect them on your epic trip anyway. Sometimes I thought the game would be over after some bossfights but even after them the game is not over. Even after the credits there is an epic epilogue that surprised me very much and gives you even more hours of epic battles after the mainquest. I suggest all RPG-fans to get the demo or the game, in addition get some days free from work or school and you will be glad.This game was so addictive, I have not played Max Payne 3, GR Future Soldier and Diablo 3 since I got this game. Do not missunderstand me, those games are good too but cannot compete with the legendary, epic Dragon`s Dogma. THIS IS JUST AWESOME CAPCOM! I thank you so much for one of the best if not the best, most epic RPGs I have ever played! I do not want to miss this game, I will start now again... Expand
  16. May 29, 2012
    I've made an account just to be able to get the word out,last time I gave skyrim a 10 on this site,however I am doing again for dragons dogma,the game IMO ,it's the little brother ,but with lots of action and great animations. try it yourself, or your going to miss out.
  17. May 30, 2012
    I was heartbroken that I would be missing out on Diablo 3's PC only release until I saw this gem broadcast online. After I spent some quality time with this title, I was more than happy to let Blizzard keep it's Diablo 3. Dragon's Dogma is an innovative take on the action RPG, featuring a combat system more akin to fighting games, but without all the finger gymnastics that come alongI was heartbroken that I would be missing out on Diablo 3's PC only release until I saw this gem broadcast online. After I spent some quality time with this title, I was more than happy to let Blizzard keep it's Diablo 3. Dragon's Dogma is an innovative take on the action RPG, featuring a combat system more akin to fighting games, but without all the finger gymnastics that come along with it. This isn't just a button-masher though, as you're required to flesh out a party of adventurers to compliment your main character during the game's loose quest-based story and massive open world. The game is full of loot, although it isn't as equipment-heavy as other titles, which is a plus or minus depending on what you like about dungeon crawlers. The game is positively beautiful with interesting enviornments and animations, but the real draw of this game are the monsters. Be prepared for some epic scraps, as you take on mythological creatures both big, small, and utterly gigantic. The character classes are fleshed out well and none seem to have a large advantage over the other, at least initially. The customization comes from buying different skills and changing vocations over time, building a character that suits your personal combat style.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this game, and even the complaints I've read about the pawns are nitpicky at best. While they repeat dialogue, it's fairly easy to ignore them, and the AI is more than suitable for a game this busy. If your pawns are doing something you can't stand, you can hit the inn and give them new directives, and the D-pad allows you to give them basic commands during combat. I find myself rarely using this though, as they tend to know their place well enough to get the job done. Overall, fantastic game and highly recommended.
  18. May 25, 2012
    Simply epic game with some flaws that can overlooked..........a difficulty comparison with dark soul is welcome cuz both have a nearly same difficulty, but it's gameplay will deliver a blasting experience you won't forget for a long long time, I can't tell you more of this, you must test its for yourself!!
  19. May 25, 2012
    Let me start off by saying in all my years as a gamer I have never once felt the need to 'review' a game or post about it online but I'm doing so now because I feel a horrible injustice has been done against Dragon's Dogma. In a world where Diablo 3 and Skyrim are getting near perfect scores, it is beyond all belief how many professional reviewers are trashing this game with scores underLet me start off by saying in all my years as a gamer I have never once felt the need to 'review' a game or post about it online but I'm doing so now because I feel a horrible injustice has been done against Dragon's Dogma. In a world where Diablo 3 and Skyrim are getting near perfect scores, it is beyond all belief how many professional reviewers are trashing this game with scores under 70. It's got all the makings of an RPG for TRUE RPG fans. A detailed stat system, dozens of skill and augmentation customizations, a complex crafting system, a huge open world filled with quests. I haven't experienced this since I played the first Elder Scrolls except this game is so much better. The combat is varied with dozens of moves per class (or vocation as it's called in the game) and it's even got gameplay like Shadow of the Colossus where you can take down large mobs by climbing on them.
    Whereas magic and combat felt 'mechanical' and disconnected to me in Skyrim, every spell and combat move feels visceral like you're actually casting or swinging due to the detailed animations and sound-effects.
    Most fights feel epic because the mobs in this game are not one-shot kills. At any moment, a walk through the forest can be a fight to the death when you get ambushed by any of the variety of challenging creatures in the game.
    I could go on but others more eloquent than myself have written far better reviews. All you need to know is that this game ranks among the best games this year in terms of design and gameplay and if you believe the reviewers who are bashing this game, you're missing out on an experience found nowhere else.
  20. May 26, 2012
    this is quite honestly the most amazing RpG I ahve ever played. Beats the crap out of even the 'soul' games. The combat is tight,active and responsive and the game world is huge. I cannot believe how many people downrate this game because of its lack of multiplayer and no fast travel. While I can agree having multiplayer would be nice you sods complaining about lack of fast travel arethis is quite honestly the most amazing RpG I ahve ever played. Beats the crap out of even the 'soul' games. The combat is tight,active and responsive and the game world is huge. I cannot believe how many people downrate this game because of its lack of multiplayer and no fast travel. While I can agree having multiplayer would be nice you sods complaining about lack of fast travel are spoiled rotten by the elder scrolls games where u just blow from one objective to the next with no thought of the enviroment. I am MORE than happy to fight my way from the capital city to the mission area (a whole 10-15 minutes to the farthest reaches of the map) exploring the enviroment for treasure and killing enemies and if needed fork over a little cash for a teleport BACK to the town the only time that is even expensive is inccredibly early on in the game unless you are hoarding every worthless item you get andf not doing any quests for cash. This games combat, open world, and shadow of collosus style boss fights make it compeltely new and amazing and if you people cannot get over the fact there is no multiplayer then there is in no way or form any room for story driven rpgs anymore and everyone should just pour more money into wow clone rpgs instead of trying something innovative. Expand
  21. May 26, 2012
    Havent had this much fun in combat in any RPG for a long time,
    Quests are well structure and interesting
    Able to play as all classes and the melee ranged and magic offer completely different experiences so they is bound to be something for everyone to enjoy Put a good few hours into it already and I havent even covered a quarter of the map yet Only negative point I have is that it doesnt
    Havent had this much fun in combat in any RPG for a long time,
    Quests are well structure and interesting

Only negative point I have is that it doesnt explain things very well so you might have to do some trial and error with skills but you get plenty of points to buy skills with as you go so it never feels like a mistake just a set back
  22. May 29, 2012
    Most people are giving low scores complaining for the lack of multiplayer, whining because there is not a pc release and such a crap.
    Stop being so lame !
    This is a great game that has its technical flaws which don't ruin the playing experience though, i would give a 8,5 only for the technical problems, but the game deserves a 9+ score. Giving a 10 to balance all the not objective user's
    Stop being so lame !
    Giving a 10 to balance all the not objective user's reviews that i've found here.
  23. May 29, 2012
    Hey guys how's it going,just trying to be as real as possible with you,I played skyrim and gave that game a 10,I've been playing dragons dogma for about 40 hours,and I've already en like it better than skyrim.
    So it's only fair for this game to get that kinda score.Don't believe the hype,or the fanboys, play the game for yourself and decided.
  24. May 30, 2012
    A lot of the people who have given this game a bad review have not really given it a fair shake.

I would say this: in order to write an accurate review, you need to play the game for more than 1 hour. Most of the complaints people have about this game are due to the fact that they have no basic understanding of how the game works at all. If you play it a little longer, you may figure it out. Anyway, Dragon's Dogma is the best RPG of 2012 so far. If not for Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, I would call it the best RPG of the PS3/XBOX generation. Let's get into the details:

Graphics: 9/10
    Dragon's Dogma looks really good. The environments are varied, and with the cool day/night cycle, you will find yourself often stopping at the water's edge or something and just watching the sunrise or sunset. The game is really beautiful. The character models and monster models look really good, and the animation is just smooth and flawless. The weapon animations are spot-on. The only gripes I have are there are a couple of textures that are muddy if you walk right up next to them, and I did experience graphical glitches such as screen tearing VERY rarely. However, these are small gripes against an otherwise great-looking game.

Sound: 9/10
    Let me start by saying the sound effects in the game are awesome. When you're fighting monsters, you really feel like your weapons have impact, and the monsters and bandits make really believable sounds while you are murdering them. The music is also very good, and is well-presented. It gets loud and epic at the appropriate time, and is soft and submissive at appropriate times as well. Let me tell you: when you slay your first Chimera, you will feel like you just conquered the world. The only complaint I have about the sound is, there were a few moments when the music cut off unexpectedly and came back on, and it sounded jagged. Again, another small complaint. Story: 5/10
    The story in Dragon's Dogma is pretty lame. I really cared about it until about 5 hours in, when the things I was doing had absolutely nothing to do with the original objective. The problem this game has is that the major plot point is you're trying to find a dragon, but that's about it. The game attempts to throw in these secondary characters that you're supposed to care about, but it does not develop any of them, so you feel very indifferent toward them. About 30 hours in, I witnessed a duel between two characters that was supposed to be very emotionally charged, but I was disappointed to find that I did not care at all about the outcome. If the richness of the story is the first priority for you, you might want to consider a little deeper whether this game is right for you.

Gameplay: 10/10
    Obviously, the gameplay is where Dragon's Dogma really shines. I don't need to get into the details of what you can actually do; there's Youtube for that. What you need to know is: this game is as close to a hardcore RPG as we can expect to get in the PS3/XBOX generation. The game is pretty difficult, and you need to be prepared before you go exploring. You need to make sure that you are a high enough level for a quest, and you need to make sure you bring plenty of healing items for the journey. If you die very quickly on a quest, this is not an indication that the quest is broken or too hard. This is an indication that you are not ready for the quest yet, and that you should improve your character before continuing. Some may not like the level of difficulty and the fact that the game does not hold your hand, but I personally loved it. If you are the type of gamer that likes a good challenge and likes to feel like you had to work hard for your achievements, then I would strongly encourage you to check out this game. I have no complaints at all about the gameplay. As far as I'm concerned, the combat engine is as refined or even more refined than what you find in Dark Souls. It isn't very far at all from perfect.

Value: 10/10
    This game will last you AT LEAST 50-60 hours. Since I am a pretty thorough gamer, I am expecting to spend between 100 and 150 hours in Gransys. Overall: 10/10

This game IS for you if you value challenging, fun gameplay and strong immersion over other aspects of your RPGs.
    This game might NOT be for you if you value story above all else, and do not enjoy having to spend a lot of time preparing for quests. If you LOVED Dark Souls, you will love this game.
    If you LOVED Mass Effect 2/3, you might NOT like this game.
  25. May 30, 2012
    Terrific game! Just as good as any other of the RPGs out on the market if not better. Granted it has its nitpicking flaws (what other game doesn't have a single flaw?), but they are minor and are easily over looked. The combat in the game is the most original I have seen and I feel as though I am literally on an adventure, fighting for mine and my pawns lives and I love it! Play the demoTerrific game! Just as good as any other of the RPGs out on the market if not better. Granted it has its nitpicking flaws (what other game doesn't have a single flaw?), but they are minor and are easily over looked. The combat in the game is the most original I have seen and I feel as though I am literally on an adventure, fighting for mine and my pawns lives and I love it! Play the demo if you are unsure about this game, otherwise pick this game up, it's worth it. Also don't let day one DLC or downloadable content already on the disc sway you. All DLC has been extremely minute and you don't miss out on any of the experience from the game. Expand
  26. May 31, 2012
    What makes a gamer mad is when a game this good gets hidden from them. I wasn't a fan of the free demo which felt like the graphics were worse than the final product. I then saw guys playing the game on twitch and was finally pushed over the edge to buy it even after being brainwashed by angry critic companies that didn't get their fees.

It looks like Capcom didn't pay the commercial

It looks like Capcom didn't pay the commercial bill to sites like Gamespot and IGN because the ratings this game is getting is a complete travesty. This and Diablo 3's critic reviews should be flipped. Even if you hate this game you would at least give it an 8. Don't know how Skyrim didn't get marked for bugs since it's bugs were 1000 times worse. The best part about Dragon's Dogma is that you play in a pack or you can play with a friend with your main guy. The attention to detail in this game is a nice addition. Menus are comfortable, ask you the right questions and theres just enough work required to equip, buy and sell without it becoming mindless like Diablo, or way too over the top like Eve. The combat is interesting and requires you to have some skill at mixing a team together that fights well. If you botched a team, then you can grab new teammates in a flash. The fact that it is possible to screw up is what many games don't seem to do anymore. This is a fantastic game that should be considered for RPG GOTY already and it's not even half over yet.
  27. Jun 5, 2012
    Incredible, incredible game. In a quest to find an amazing action adventure/ RPG, Dragon's Dogma has yet to let me down. Beautiful graphics, brilliant battle system, and an epic story with gaps to be filled in by the players imagination. I give capcom's DD an A!
  28. Jun 15, 2012
    The game is NEAR perfect, creating the hero AND your main ally, the best idea ever.
    Now there's only one thing, and I'm REALLY sure that a lot of people say this...your pawns and how MUCH they talk. If only it had some kind of 'disable pawn blabbering' then it would be perfect. But other than that, the map is perfect with huge places, there's no confusion, and from start to end, it's a beautiful game.

This game deserves a higher rank!~
  29. Jun 18, 2012
    A lot of mainstream press seemed to not have given this game a fair shake. Sure there are comparisons to Dark Souls (but not as difficult, similar asynchronous/social aspects, thoughtful combat and weight to the characters) and Skyrim (open world, questing, exploration, immersion and the technical issues but Dragon's Dogma definitely does dragons better) but this game stands out in theA lot of mainstream press seemed to not have given this game a fair shake. Sure there are comparisons to Dark Souls (but not as difficult, similar asynchronous/social aspects, thoughtful combat and weight to the characters) and Skyrim (open world, questing, exploration, immersion and the technical issues but Dragon's Dogma definitely does dragons better) but this game stands out in the areas of fast fluid combat, deep character customization, and an immersive large world to explore.

Game play
    There are often complaints about grinding and repetitive nature but the core of this game is the game play and if you enjoy good combat, leveling up and gaining new abilities and testing them in battle (or get tired of that class? just change classes anytime you like or even pick a hybrid class), getting new gear and renting new pawns to change up or fix your squad's dynamics then it's probably the best game in years. Or if you just want to climb onto an ogre and have him run off a cliff, jump off just as he goes over the edge that is cool too. The traversal and climbing aspects help in combat against large mini-bosses and you can take them out with a variety of strategies and you can also explore the world with the same traversal. Climbing an abandoned and shore side fortress in the dead of night in a thunderstorm where one slip can be your doom while looking for hidden treasure chests is immersive, dangerous, and very exciting.

Difficulty
    This game doesn't hand hold and doesn't tell you everything you need to know right away in the vein of Dark Souls but it feels a bit more forgiving, no fast travel (but like Dark Souls you can find shortcuts) until way late in the game and an interesting ending given the standard prologue/background story. There are plenty of water-cooler moments that occur as with many open world games but it feels like many of the elements are intentional (I didn't even notice that there are other types of birds besides; seagulls and crows) Without easy fast travel, your adventure into the unknown is actually an adventure you need to be prepared because when night falls things become very dangerous. The joy and relief of overcoming an enemy that was giving you trouble a few levels ago or finding a safe camp to rest at in the middle of the night is a major relief.

Story
    There's some complaints on the story but most people who tend to play these open world games often repeat over and over that they just ignore the main quest and do side quests anyways, but it's true that the story components are a bit sparse and that subjectively appeals to the type of player that prefer more narrative or one that just wants to get into the game.

Pawns
    Forgoing a rather typical tacked on multi-player (you can already play Monster Hunter) the pawn system lets the player experience an immersive undistracted single player experience with a bit of social interaction; you make and share pawns that will serve as guides to the world as they learn in their adventures and can be ranked by others. You mold your own pawn to your liking and see if others have done well in theirs; not doing their job? talking too much? hire a new pawn. There is also the Ur-Dragon which is an end game boss that resides online that players cooperatively work together to bring down with the damage each player deals.
  30. Jul 14, 2012
    Expanding a genre that I thought Skyrim had covered - big world - long story and questline - plenty to do and see - and plenty to kill - One bad thing is camera used to take photos for sharing on facebook (on xbox it blurs screen and is not adjustable) - this does not affect game in any way - fighting works great - game is very hard at start after level 20 it works well - but when overExpanding a genre that I thought Skyrim had covered - big world - long story and questline - plenty to do and see - and plenty to kill - One bad thing is camera used to take photos for sharing on facebook (on xbox it blurs screen and is not adjustable) - this does not affect game in any way - fighting works great - game is very hard at start after level 20 it works well - but when over level 100 mini bosses become a tad easy - the add-ons so far have been aimed at low level/new chars - bar it in mind if you are purchasing them - I would say level 20 or below for 'from a different sky' DLC and prob below 50 for 'The chosen' - I bought them not knowing they where low level due to XBL wording (could have been better) but all in all easily the best RPG available - having spent nigh on 200 hours ingame on this and skyrim each I would pick this title as winner - just hoping the 'real' dlc (which includes achievements) will live up to the game - Nice to see a bug-free game released aswell - these days a rare thing :) well done capcom on breaking into fantasy RPG with this epic. Expand

1. Aug 3, 2012
    A unique hybrid between japanese and western rpg's featuring extensive customisation options, fun fights and indirect but rewarding ways to help (and be helped by) other players.
    Although I did know what kind of game Dragon's Dogma was when I picked it up, I was hoping that it would be different, have something I found compelling, something I could get addicted to and want to spend my time with. But for me, this kind of 'old school' gaming found in Dragon's Dogma is simply tedious and rarely enjoyable.
  3. Jul 8, 2012